PDA

View Full Version : Belinelli and the Warriors

rikhardur
11-02-2007, 08:43 PM
He played his first game last Tuesday and was 12 minutes in the floor, scoring 6 pts.
I expect very much from him actually, and he already showed what he's capable of during pre-season.

Neozyrus
11-03-2007, 12:13 AM
IN part is because the same history that always, he has in front of him players like Ellis, Azubukie, Pietrus... that imho are technically ver inferior but that are right now more psysichal and more "NBA-style", and that, in a team like golden state can become really really important.

Dinamita
11-04-2007, 02:33 AM
They dont pass the ball to him that much.... I saw their game against Utah Jazz and he was just running around, back and forth like the referee....I hope he get to touch the ball many times so he can show his real talent....

MANIGAULT
11-05-2007, 01:17 PM
I think Belinelli should lock himself in the gym and add at least 20 good muscle pounds to his body before he could compete-physically-with all the other guards in the Warriors rotation...Apart fom that he is the best talent that they have right now...
Im sure Don Nelson is aware of that and should motivate him to do so...

Markoishvili
11-05-2007, 04:35 PM
I think Bellineli`s quickness is pretty average at the NBA level, both laterally and in terms of first step. His shooting stroke will came around but until then he is a liability defensively and is not making much progress with his slashing game. Kelenna Azubuike je doing really great and Marco will be coming off the bench in his first season. I think he can make it, but obviosuly not as fast as many thought after tearing up competition in the Summerleague.

He will live and day by his jumpshot, just like in Europe, where his athleticism was an advantage, while in NBA is a shortcoming since 2-guards are most explosive athlete`s around.

JGX
11-09-2007, 09:06 PM
At the beginning of training camp, Nelson said Belinelli was going to be a star and make a major impact, and everyone expected him to be in the starting lineup.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/09/27/SPRSSEIV6.DTL&feed=rss.sports

At the end of training camp, Nellie basically took back his earlier comments and said that while Belinelli would eventually be an excellent player, he had a long way to go.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_7247800?nclick_check=1

JGX
11-13-2007, 11:10 PM
http://www.mercextra.com/blogs/warriors/2007/11/11/practicing-patience/

Nelson knew he would be without Jackson to start the season, but his depth chart has taken some unexpected hits. Nelson explains: I thought Belinelli would be more NBA ready than he is. I thought I could put him into an NBA game for 20 minutes and not get hurt, but I over-estimated that. Hes just like any other rookie. Hes a very good rookie, but hes going to take some time.

rikhardur
11-13-2007, 11:45 PM
http://www.mercextra.com/blogs/warriors/2007/11/11/practicing-patience/

Nelson knew he would be without Jackson to start the season, but his depth chart has taken some unexpected hits. Nelson explains: “I thought Belinelli would be more NBA ready than he is. I thought I could put him into an NBA game for 20 minutes and not get hurt, but I over-estimated that. He’s just like any other rookie. He’s a very good rookie, but he’s going to take some time.”
He promised a lot especially during pre-season, but adaptation is always required and takes its time. Nice of Nelson to recognise he had expected too much from him. Better that way, Belinelli won't feel pressured and will be able to adjust more easily. Nelson certainly knows what he's doing ;)

Neozyrus
11-14-2007, 03:21 AM
Sincerity is always well received. At least this way the fans have an explanation of the situation of one of their best players.

ArkadiosV2
12-08-2007, 09:36 PM
Belinelli to the D-League.

AHAHAHA I can't help by laughing at the Europeans than leave Euroleague and get paid less money to play in D-League and are content with their situation as long as they say that they have played in the NBA. Pathetic losers...

Straight forward
12-08-2007, 11:06 PM
I wonder if any european guard would fit for Nelson at the moment? i don't think so...

mvblair
12-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Wow, that stinks. I still believe that Belinelli has a great future in basketball, but...but as Arkadios said, why the heck is he accepting this "assignment" to the NBDL? It really does make his move to the NBA look stupid. And that goes for a lot of Europeans and Americans who could be playing in the EL for a lot more money and a lot more glory.

stuart
12-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Wow, that stinks. I still believe that Belinelli has a great future in basketball, but...but as Arkadios said, why the heck is he accepting this "assignment" to the NBDL? It really does make his move to the NBA look stupid. And that goes for a lot of Europeans and Americans who could be playing in the EL for a lot more money and a lot more glory.

I think he just wants to play competitively. The Warriors have been on fire up here and it's tough for he and Brandan Wright (another great rookie) to get playing time behind Ellis, Matt Barnes and Stephan Jackson.

Stuart

stuart
12-13-2007, 12:45 AM
Wrote a little about Marco in my weekly update (http://www.interbasket.net/news) - Stuart:

Belinelli would Rather be Tenth than First
Marco Belinelli (http://www.interbasket.net/players/belinelli.htm) was given a choice to head down to the NBDL to develop his game, shoot up shots and consistently play in every game. Instead, Beli decided to stay with the team even though it would probably mean he would be tenth man saying I dont want to go because I think that I am an NBA player, Belinelli said. I think that I can play at this level, and I want to be here, to work with my teammates. We have a beautiful group and Im part of it.

And with the Warriors rolling lately, its unlikely that Belinelli is going to get his chance anytime soon as he went from getting spots minutes, to accumulating DNPs to the inactive list. Its not all bad as promising rookie Brandan Wright hasnt seen much time either this season. No doubt Belinelli will get his shot and the only person that knows that is his coach don Nelson I love him. I think he can be real good. Not yet, however. Hes got a lot of work to do in practice. Maybe its defense? Toughness? It certainly cant be confidence.

Straight forward
12-13-2007, 10:24 PM
OMG, i'm so f... happy that there's no lithuanians left in NBA to suffer all the crap with NBA coaches...maybe except D. Songaila. Sorry for OT, but it's realy irritating to read about all those great european players (Garbajosa, Calderon, Belinelli) fighting for the minutes in the court...

rikhardur
12-14-2007, 02:48 AM
I really don't know what the problem might be regarding Belinelli. Don Nelson is a coach known for developing players, for having loads of patience unlike many others and is decidedly not biased against Euro players. Perhaps Belinelli is having a hard time adapting to the US and the NBA game style? It's the only option I can take to be sincere.

Toxicity
12-14-2007, 08:08 AM
I don't see the problem here... Nelson, despite what he said in the pre-season, is known as a coach who doesn't trust much in rookies... think about Jasikevicius (a true euro star, while Belinelli may be a star in the making)... :rolleyes:

Marco should not giving up... his time will come hopefully.

rikhardur
12-27-2007, 12:54 PM
Interesting insight here (http://195.56.77.208/news/?id=89718&redi=) about his situation right now and the way he feels about it all.
Translation of some of his quotes:

"It would be very easy to leave everything because of some initial difficulty. I knew what to expect and let's not make a fuss about it. I work everyday harder than the previous one, so we'll see."

"I think this is the life of a rookie. Coach Nelson talks to me and tells me he's pleased with the way I work, that I'm getting better. In a way if I don't play it's because they want to protect me. Being on the bench is for my own good. I must be patient."

"The bench makes part of the integration process. People like Nash and Nowitzki went through it, I don't see why it shouldn't happen to me. I'm in a team where I feel happy and people are helping me."

robbe
04-05-2008, 06:34 AM
Belinelli with 13 points on 6/11 shooting in 22 minutes in a blowout win over Memphis.

rikhardur
04-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Belinelli with 13 points on 6/11 shooting in 22 minutes in a blowout win over Memphis.
Nice. His best game so far, he needs to get confident and get the trust of Don Nelson too.

Neozyrus
04-05-2008, 01:47 PM
I was simply great not only in scoring but he seemed realy integrated in the fast style of the Warriors, and was the best reserve yesterday. I hope that performances like this could give him some more minutes in the next games till the playoffs.

Straight forward
04-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Nice. His best game so far, he needs to get confident and get the trust of Don Nelson too.

That is pretty utopian stuff :p Belinelli would show nice game already in Raptors or other club, imho.

rikhardur
04-17-2008, 08:45 AM
Belinelli scored 17 pts (5-6 3pt) in 19 minutes, unfortunately the Warriors couldn't come up with a win.

mvblair
04-17-2008, 03:02 PM
Belinelli scored 17 pts (5-6 3pt) in 19 minutes, unfortunately the Warriors couldn't come up with a win.
It's good that he's starting to get some big statistical games. Most people agree that he was a good pick with just a little risk. He might not become a Dirk, but he's going to remain a key player.

rikhardur
04-17-2008, 03:06 PM
It's good that he's starting to get some big statistical games. Most people agree that he was a good pick with just a little risk. He might not become a Dirk, but he's going to remain a key player.
I think the same. He simply needs confidence and minutes to develop his game. If those two elements are provided he'll lift off, just as it was proved in this game.

Hvala Milane
07-16-2008, 04:57 PM
After his first 3 summer league games Belinelli is averaging 23 points in 35 minutes per game: 14 (3-9 for 2, 2-5 for 3, 2-3 fts) the first against Philadelphia, 25 (7-11 for 2, 2-8 for 3, 5-7 fts) against Dallas and 30 (6-11 for 2, 3-4 for 3, 9-9 fts) last night against Charlotte. All 3 games were won by his Warriors.

rikhardur
07-16-2008, 06:09 PM
He also had big numbers in preparation games last year, hopefully he will have them in real competition as well.

rikhardur
12-05-2008, 05:25 PM
ITA Bench-warming Belinelli at the end of his tether

OAKLAND (NBA) - Marco Belinelli has reached the end of his patience and now wants to leave Golden State for a new club to get playing time.

The Italy international, who stayed in the United States during the summer in a bid to improve his chances of getting some minutes instead of representing his national team in EuroBasket 2009 qualifying, says he feels badly let down by Warriors coach Donn Nelson.

"I try to remain focused and give the best I can with the limited minutes I am given and also in training to show that I am ready," the 22-year-old said in Gazzetta dello Sport.

"There are teams that are interested in me and I cant wait for that moment to arrive.

"I can't trust Nelson. He is an experienced coach who has won so much (as a player) but what he told me in the summer, of giving me more playing time, has not happened.

"I have not had the chance to prove how much I am worth. If I had failed it would have been a different story, but my situation just gives me a lot of rage."

Belinelli, who was a big star in Italy with Fortitudo Bologna before moving to the Warriors, isn't planning on a return to Europe.

"Its clear that my value will drop if I continue to be sitting on the bench," he said.

"I hope it will not be like this for the rest of the year. Everyone has had a chance here and I hope I get the same opportunity.

"I have not thought of returning to Europe because it would mean giving up and I am not someone that gives up easily."

Belinelli played for Italy at the 2006 FIBA World Championship and at EuroBasket 2007 but he isn't sure when he'll be able to represent the Azzurri again.

"Its early days yet to confirm," he said.

"I would like to be there but I dont know what my future will be in June.

"A lot of things can happen and its impossible to say anything now."
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/29018/arti.html

mvblair
12-11-2008, 03:17 PM
I don't know if Belinelli's comments had anything to do with it, but Belinelli had 15 points (5-7 FGs), 3 assists, and 2 rebounds in 14:30 minutes last night against Milwaukee.

Belinelli had a beautiful behind the backboard jumpshot, which was one of SportsCenter's Top 10 Plays. I'd love to see somebody find a clip of that. :D

Jackson, Belinelli Lead Warriors (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2008121009) -- December 10, 2008, by Greg Bechham, AP

Marco Belinelli’s achingly perfect jumper from behind the backboard just rubbed it in for the Milwaukee Bucks. They couldn’t keep up when the Golden State Warriors finally played their beautiful game in the fourth quarter.

Stephen Jackson scored 21 points, C.J. Watson added 19 and the Warriors won their second straight after a nine-game losing streak, 119-96 over the slumping Bucks on Wednesday night.

With Belinelli leading the way in a breakout performance, Golden State wrapped up consecutive victories for just the second time all season. Their fourth quarter showcased everything that’s good about the free-flowing, aggressive game championed by coach Don Nelson...

“We started to be aggressive, and when we’re aggressive, we win games,” said Belinelli, who scored 11 of his 15 points in the final period, adding a handful of stunning passes. “For me, when I have my opportunities, I can do something to help this team. I believe in all of our people. We’re young, we like to run, and if we stay aggressive, we can win games.”

Seriously, does anybody know if there is a clip of Belinelli's performance last night?

rikhardur
12-11-2008, 04:17 PM
It'll be one of the season's best plays for sure:

s059tLNoJSM

Dinamita
12-12-2008, 04:31 AM
now that's the Belinelli that I want to see.... He reminds me of Rudy Fernandez...

LordOfLeyte
12-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Stephen Jackson can slide down to the 2 guard,

Corey Maggete is a 2 guard

Jamal Crawford is a 2 guard

While when Monta Ellis returns, can play the 2 guard

Anthony Murrow can play the 2 guard.

Too many 2 guard rotations that eats up Belinelli's potential playing time.

Golden State should trade him to either Phoenix or San Antonio...

Guard
12-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Belinelli played another great game.
19pts-4rbs-6ass in 31 minutes. He is really taking advantage of the minutes he gets.

rikhardur
12-16-2008, 03:48 PM
I think it might also be the effect of his declarations about a trade. Don got scared :D

rikhardur
12-18-2008, 03:13 AM
Belinelli is getting the hang of it. He started and scored 21 points, adding 4 rebounds, 4 assists and 1 steal.

jugoplastika
12-18-2008, 08:40 AM
I think it might also be the effect of his declarations about a trade. Don got scared :D

Excellent video.

Au contraire, I think he is going to be traded to another NBA team.

Everything indicates it; Belinelli expressed his displeasure and willingness to leave GSW & management gave him more minutes to blow up stats before realizing a trade.

Maybe Belinelli + at least one more teammate for a big man to provide defense and rebs in the paint?

All in all, nothing is not excluded yet, so we will wait and see...

Guard
12-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Intresting article about his situation:

Warriors' Belinelli quietly finding his niche

Marco Belinelli understands and speaks English quite well, thank you. The Warriors' 2007 first-round pick from Italy, Belinelli also has been around the NBA long enough now to know that the standard way for players to express their unhappiness is to pop off in the media.

But despite a perch at the end of the Warriors' bench, and finding himself buried in the darkest recesses of Coach Don Nelson's spacious doghouse, Belinelli kept his frustrations to himself. Well, at least in the American press.

"Marco is not one of those guys who wears his emotions on his sleeve," Stephen Jackson said. "He might make a loud outburst outside of the gym, but he won't bring it around the team. He doesn't say too much."

Even now, as he gets the first steady minutes of his career, Belinelli still is keeping mum despite finally having something good to discuss.

Belinelli had his best game in a Warriors uniform Monday in a loss to Orlando, scoring 19 points on 8-of-14 shooting with six assists and four rebounds in 31 minutes.

In the past five games, he has averaged 13.8 points in 24 minutes of court time. Those numbers may not be cause to stage a parade especially as the Warriors (7-18) see their season slipping away as they begin a five-game trip at Indiana today. But it's a big step for a guy who seemed like he might never gain Nelson's good graces.

"I don't like to talk too much," Belinelli said. "I'm European, so I'd rather be
quiet and make something happen on the court."

The 6-foot-5 guard arrived in the NBA with a game that could be described as quintessential soft Euro. When Belinelli memorably scored 37 points in his first summer league game, Nelson raved "the guy has stardom written all over him."

Then Nelson got a better look at Belinelli's below-average defense and rebounding. Not only that, Belinelli seemed content to passively linger around the three-point shot arc, waiting for his shot or the chance to drive.

Belinelli mostly languished on the bench last season, making just 33 appearances. When this season began the same way, he had enough. Some of that came out in a Dec. 1 interview with journalist Massimo Oriani of La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"He had been outspoken for the first time," Oriani wrote in an e-mail. ... He was calm and nice but expressed his frustration with Nellie and for not being faithful to his word since he had told him in the summer that he would be part of the rotation."

But after a brutal, 35-point loss in San Antonio on Dec. 6, Nelson announced a new emphasis on ball movement that if nothing else would at least be fun to coach. And he rediscovered Belinelli.

"The way we're playing now really helps his game," Nelson said. "That's the way Europeans play. They move and pass. When we have too much ball stoppage and everybody stands around, that's not too good for Marco. I'm sure he's excited."

He has sure made some exciting plays. His behind-the-backboard shot against Milwaukee was called by Jackson: "The Italian Larry Bird" play. Monday, his nifty alley-oop pass to Andris Biedrins was eye-opening.

Defensively, Belinelli charitably might be described as "improving." Nelson, while saying "it's not easy for him to guard anybody," acknowledged that the guard is working hard. Belinelli now can be seen rushing around, arms flailing.

"My defense has gotten better for sure," Belinelli said. "If I'm staying on the court, there is a reason. I have to be better or I don't play. I have to be aggressive any time I'm out there and play tough."

Still, Belinelli understands that keeping Nelson happy will never be easy. A couple of bad shooting nights and maybe it's out of the rotation again.

"With this coach, young guys like me have to be ready to do something every time we go in. You never know."

Marco Belinelli understands and speaks English quite well, thank you. The Warriors' 2007 first-round pick from Italy, Belinelli also has been around the NBA long enough now to know that the standard way for players to express their unhappiness is to pop off in the media.

But despite a perch at the end of the Warriors' bench, and finding himself buried in the darkest recesses of Coach Don Nelson's spacious doghouse, Belinelli kept his frustrations to himself. Well, at least in the American press.

"Marco is not one of those guys who wears his emotions on his sleeve," Stephen Jackson said. "He might make a loud outburst outside of the gym, but he won't bring it around the team. He doesn't say too much."

Even now, as he gets the first steady minutes of his career, Belinelli still is keeping mum despite finally having something good to discuss.

Belinelli had his best game in a Warriors uniform Monday in a loss to Orlando, scoring 19 points on 8-of-14 shooting with six assists and four rebounds in 31 minutes.

In the past five games, he has averaged 13.8 points in 24 minutes of court time. Those numbers may not be cause to stage a parade especially as the Warriors (7-18) see their season slipping away as they begin a five-game trip at Indiana today. But it's a big step for a guy who seemed like he might never gain Nelson's good graces.

"I don't like to talk too much," Belinelli said. "I'm European, so I'd rather be
quiet and make something happen on the court."

The 6-foot-5 guard arrived in the NBA with a game that could be described as quintessential soft Euro. When Belinelli memorably scored 37 points in his first summer league game, Nelson raved "the guy has stardom written all over him."

Then Nelson got a better look at Belinelli's below-average defense and rebounding. Not only that, Belinelli seemed content to passively linger around the three-point shot arc, waiting for his shot or the chance to drive.

Belinelli mostly languished on the bench last season, making just 33 appearances. When this season began the same way, he had enough. Some of that came out in a Dec. 1 interview with journalist Massimo Oriani of La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"He had been outspoken for the first time," Oriani wrote in an e-mail. ... He was calm and nice but expressed his frustration with Nellie and for not being faithful to his word since he had told him in the summer that he would be part of the rotation."

But after a brutal, 35-point loss in San Antonio on Dec. 6, Nelson announced a new emphasis on ball movement that if nothing else would at least be fun to coach. And he rediscovered Belinelli.

"The way we're playing now really helps his game," Nelson said. "That's the way Europeans play. They move and pass. When we have too much ball stoppage and everybody stands around, that's not too good for Marco. I'm sure he's excited."

He has sure made some exciting plays. His behind-the-backboard shot against Milwaukee was called by Jackson: "The Italian Larry Bird" play. Monday, his nifty alley-oop pass to Andris Biedrins was eye-opening.

Defensively, Belinelli charitably might be described as "improving." Nelson, while saying "it's not easy for him to guard anybody," acknowledged that the guard is working hard. Belinelli now can be seen rushing around, arms flailing.

"My defense has gotten better for sure," Belinelli said. "If I'm staying on the court, there is a reason. I have to be better or I don't play. I have to be aggressive any time I'm out there and play tough."

Still, Belinelli understands that keeping Nelson happy will never be easy. A couple of bad shooting nights and maybe it's out of the rotation again.

"With this coach, young guys like me have to be ready to do something every time we go in. You never know."

mvblair
12-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Guard, thanks for the article. Do you have a link to it?

Also, nobody mentioned his 19 point, 6 assist, 4 rebound game against Orlando earlier this week. He didn't start.
Au contraire, I think he is going to be traded to another NBA team. I disagree, Jugo. The Warriors are pretty bad at their SG/SF position right now. Jackson, Azubuike, and Crawford are averaging about 40% shooting right now (30% from three). Those guys also play awful defense. Belinelli is shooting about 50% (40% from three) and playing bad defense, so he's getting some court time.

Golden State is a bad team. They'll need to rebuild the team before they get better. I don't think they could trade Belinelli for anybody worth anything. Maybe Golden State could package Belinelli with Jackson or some other big-contract players, but I don't know what impact that would have on the race for 2010.
All in all, nothing is not excluded yet, so we will wait and see... Yes, you're right. Who knows what they will do?

Guard
12-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Here is the link (www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_11249507) to the article.

stuart
12-18-2008, 06:28 PM
The Warriors are a pain to watch, they're terrible. The good thing is Marco is getting time. Belinelli continued his great play for Golden State. In loss to Pacers, the 6-5 Italian had 21 pts (5-8 on threes), 4 rebs, and 4 asts in 38 minutes. I think that's the most Belinelli has ever played in an NBA game...

Stuart

rikhardur
12-20-2008, 03:36 AM
Career-high 27 points, adding 6 assists, 3 rebounds and 2 steals as the Warriors lose to the Hawks.

mvblair
12-20-2008, 04:16 AM
Career-high 27 points, adding 6 assists, 3 rebounds and 2 steals as the Warriors lose to the Hawks.
Fantastic! It looks like he could've had some more points, except that Jamaal Crawford made only three of fifteen shots in 35 minutes. :rolleyes:

rikhardur
12-27-2008, 03:54 PM
22 points + 4 assists + 2 steals as the Warriors beat the Celtics.

Picek
12-29-2008, 11:41 AM
rather interesting video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVDOxgDQwTA&feature=related

but in that game Belinelli was laughing at the end :p

and this one is also interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM6bpERh4eA&feature=related

I guess KG doesn't like european guards :p

mvblair
12-30-2008, 01:41 PM
I guess KG doesn't like european guards :pGarnett has been "fighting" with a lot of guards recently, not just Europeans. He's gotten "into it" with Jarred Bayless and Luke Ridnour too. I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but, well, the referees don't give him technicals because he sells a lot of jerseys. For some reason, his taunting and trash talking is interpreted as "intensity" and not "arrogance."

damelo
12-30-2008, 02:39 PM
Garnett has been "fighting" with a lot of guards recently, not just Europeans. He's gotten "into it" with Jarred Bayless and Luke Ridnour too. I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but, well, the referees don't give him technicals because he sells a lot of jerseys. For some reason, his taunting and trash talking is interpreted as "intensity" and not "arrogance."

Intensity what he's done with Calderon? He didn't even tried to play the ball, disorganized the defense. It didn't look like proball, but like kid's playground game.

Sorry for OT.

Belinelli had a great game again.

Picek
12-30-2008, 09:11 PM
Garnett has been "fighting" with a lot of guards recently, not just Europeans. He's gotten "into it" with Jarred Bayless and Luke Ridnour too. I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but, well, the referees don't give him technicals because he sells a lot of jerseys. For some reason, his taunting and trash talking is interpreted as "intensity" and not "arrogance."he was a loser his entire career, I guess the ring changed him..
it is probably "one ring to rule them all" madness :D

as for Belinelli, he had a major impact on his team in last two wins.. hopefully that convinced Nelson about his qualities..

vaslover
12-30-2008, 11:29 PM
My congrats to Italian fans. With each new game Marco Belinelli feeling more and more confidence on the court. I hope he,ll become a very solid scorer for long period in NBA.

mvblair
01-08-2009, 02:38 PM
My congrats to Italian fans. With each new game Marco Belinelli feeling more and more confidence on the court. I hope he,ll become a very solid scorer for long period in NBA.I think he will. Take last night's game as an example. He scored 14 points against the Lakers and the AP article said "Golden State gave another tough game to an NBA finalist, with Marco Belinelli largely limiting Bryants scoring." (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2009010709) It's good to see another super European defender, since there is this awful stereotype that Europeans don't play defense. LA still won, of course.

vaslover
01-09-2009, 12:29 AM
I think he will. Take last night's game as an example. He scored 14 points against the Lakers and the AP article said "Golden State gave another tough game to an NBA finalist, with Marco Belinelli largely limiting Bryants scoring." (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2009010709) It's good to see another super European defender, since there is this awful stereotype that Europeans don't play defense. LA still won, of course.

What do u think about Macijauskas situation. Probably he made a mistake that he left NBA with so rush, probably he could chase for his chance for one more year (i mean period when he played there in 2005-2006)? Because his fate in NBA seems quite similar with Marco Belinelli in last season.

JGX
01-09-2009, 02:19 AM
Belinelli improving his defense (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/01/08/SPM81557II.DTL)

"Belinelli's starting on Kobe" Bryant, Nelson said. "He's my defensive stopper."

That was a bit of humor. Because until recently, it was Belinelli's defense that was stopping him from getting playing time.

But two things have happened. Belinelli has worked harder on his defense, and the Warriors have become semi-desperate, and Belinelli has emerged from the doghouse.

Working on his defense "was a priority for him," Nelson said. "He accepted that, he's worked on that, and he's a better defender than (Anthony) Morrow right now."

mvblair
01-09-2009, 01:31 PM
What do u think about Macijauskas situation. Probably he made a mistake that he left NBA with so rush, probably he could chase for his chance for one more year (i mean period when he played there in 2005-2006)? Because his fate in NBA seems quite similar with Marco Belinelli in last season. Yes! You're right. Belinelli was like Macijauskas last year. And Macijauskas was a real tragedy. Macijauskas should've stayed in the NBA. Unfortunately for Macas, he was stuck with a difficult coaching situation in New Orleans. I think the same could be said of Belinelli, except that for some unknown reason Don Nelson now likes Belinelli.

mvblair
01-12-2009, 04:54 PM
17 points (6-13) in 30 minutes of action for Belinelli last night against the Pacers. Golden State won by 3 points. Apparently Belinelli got into a little pushing match with Indiana's Danny Granger before he left the court with a pretty severe ankle sprain.

Belinelli Is Latest Warrior to Suffer Inury (http://www.contracostatimes.com/warriors/ci_11432073?nclick_check=1) - by Marc Thompson, Contra Costa Times, January 12, 2009

Add another player to the Warriors' growing injured list. Guard Marco Belinelli sprained his right ankle midway through the fourth quarter, landing on an opponent's foot after attempting a 3-pointer. He was helped off the court and into the Warriors' locker room without his right foot so much as touching the ground....

Belinelli, who had started the past 14 games, had X-rays done immediately. The results showed no broken bones, just a sprain. He will be examined again today.

The Warriors already have swingman Stephen Jackson (strained right hamstring) and power forward Brandan Wright (dislocated left shoulder) out for weeks. Swingman Corey Maggette (strained right hamstring) just returned from a 15-game absence. Rookie forward Anthony Randolph re-aggravated his sprained right ring finger in Portland on Saturday...

... Belinelli caught Indiana's Danny Granger with a stiff elbow to the face with 9:18 left in the second quarter, knocking Granger to the floor. Granger got up and rushed into Belinelli's face, shoving Belinelli as he delivered harsh words. Both players were given a technical foul. ...
Randolph to the Rescue (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4296/photos;_ylt=AjpZoc1w8r6FHJ4feqhk6mSbPaB4#photoView er=urn%3Anewsml%3Asports.yahoo%2Cgetty%3A20050301% 3Anba%2Cphoto%2C5df4f5f0f243821e864f8ddc64c74e3d-getty-82989315jj002_indiana_pacer%3A1)
Granger, Belinelli, and Randolph arguing (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4296/photos;_ylt=AjpZoc1w8r6FHJ4feqhk6mSbPaB4#photoView er=urn%3Anewsml%3Asports.yahoo%2Cgetty%3A20050301% 3Anba%2Cphoto%2C2fdd269fb0386150466e6510904999f9-getty-82989315jj008_indiana_pacer%3A1)
High jump shot (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4296/photos;_ylt=AjpZoc1w8r6FHJ4feqhk6mSbPaB4#photoView er=urn%3Anewsml%3Asports.yahoo%2Cgetty%3A20050301% 3Anba%2Cphoto%2Ce1190949c9b5cfaab9b0a861f8158dc6-getty-82989315rw027_warriors_pacers%3A1)
Injured (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4296/photos;_ylt=AjpZoc1w8r6FHJ4feqhk6mSbPaB4#photoView er=urn%3Anewsml%3Asports.yahoo%2Cgetty%3A20050301% 3Anba%2Cphoto%2C98e078851d9d3e5b07f028ca889d75b0-getty-82989315jj019_indiana_pacer%3A1)

Walking out (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4296/photos;_ylt=AjpZoc1w8r6FHJ4feqhk6mSbPaB4#photoView er=urn%3Anewsml%3Asports.yahoo%2Cap%3A20050301%3An ba%2Cphoto%2C590d2e01d1c949cf929bf78d05143890.pace rs_warriors_basketball_oas107%3A1)

mvblair
01-24-2009, 03:48 AM
I just saw Stephen Jackson hugging Belinelli on the sidelines before the Cavs/Warriors game. He looks like Rocky. Belinelli has been injured since January 13th. He's got a bad ankle sprain.

Monta Ellis is with the team again and will probably start at shooting guard, moving Belinelli to the 6th man.