PDA

View Full Version : SEE games - Thessaloniki 2007?

rind
10-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Apparently the "1st SouthEastern European Countries Games" are being held in Thessaloniki between October 14th - 21nd 2007. Seems like the organization is as low-profile as it gets, I accidentally came across it on Turkish Basketball Federation's website. The official website of the games (http://www.seegames2007.org/) claims that the aims are to strengthen the friendship between the member states’ athletes and youth to contribute to the development of the social and cultural cooperation, ensure close and continuous relationship between the Governmental Sports Bodies and National Federations of the member countries and to create international sports solidarity under the Olympic philosophy.

The participating countries are Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia, Greece, FYROM, Moldova, Serbia, Montenegro, Slovenia and Turkey. Oddly enough, the Turkish Federation had sent a helluva basketball team for the competition. All players must be born in 1989 and later to be able to compete, the Turkish team consists of some of the nicest players of 90', 91', and 92' generations. I was able to find a thread (http://forum.sportnet.hr/forum_posts.asp?TID=179729&PN=1) in a forum about the basketball games but it turned out to be in Croatian, which is sadly not one of my specialties.

Anyway the games feature some names that will make youth basketball fans raise an eyebrow, to be more precise, Filip Krušlin, Toni Prostran, Karlo Vragović, Marino Šarlija (Croatia -apparently they hadn't brought Tomislav Zubčić-), Nikolaos Pappas, Konstantinos Sloukas (Greece), Nikola Lalić, Igor Lutersek (Montenegro), Can M. Mutaf, Melih Mahmutoğlu, Enes Kanter (Turkey) are prospects that showed up in Thessaloniki.

Judging from boxscores, Croatia dominated the games, beating Turkey 77-61 tonight in the final game, a Turkey that eliminated hosts Greece in the semis thanks to a buzzer-beater from 1992 born Fenerbahçe Ülker wunderkind Enes Kanter.

Final:

Croatia: (77): Randic 2, Vragovic 16, Pilepic 2, Kruslin 22, Ramljak 3, Pilan 2, Sarlja 15, Radosevic 6, Sobin 9.

Turkey (61): Kanter 10, Kılıçlı 6, Yıldız 12, Mahmutoğlu 12, Mutaf 4, Sönmez 7, Şirin 1, Aldemir 4, Balto 1, Can 4.

ArkadiosV2
10-22-2007, 05:06 AM
What the... I was in Salonica for the weekend and i asked about bball games and none mentioned this.