PDA

View Full Version : Is Adriatic league a mistake for our bball?

Joško Poljak Fan
06-12-2006, 03:15 PM
This thing has been bugging me for quite some time now.

Looking at the level our clubs have been before the AL and right now, I am not claiming AL is absolutely a bad thing, but I think it's at least worth of a debate.

1. Before the begining of Adriatic league, we had some really great generations of young players growing up, while right now our U20 or U18 teams could be called mediocre. It could be only a generation thing, but before AL those young players had the chance to play against our top4 clubs through the league and the competitiveness was on a whole different level imo, that's why I believe they progressed faster competing on better level...

2. AL was interesting idea from the begining since people got fired up by Cibona, Zadar, Split, Partizan, Bodučnost, Zvezda and so on... but right now attendance is low, while our medium clubs are dying to get to play against Olimpija, Laško, Slovan, Helios since that would bring up their attendance a lot, they'd get bigger media attention as well, compared to now...

3. I don't know for this season, but I think in the last few seasons 90% of the sponsorship money for Adriatic league came from Slovenian based companies- I know advertising on a common market is in their best interest (as it showed that is the common thing in all AL countries) but still with financing the league I think some of our clubs got left without money they'd normally get, but now gets into the league instead to those clubs...

4. We lost a spot in UlebCup we probably will never get back. Adriatic league is an ideal solution for Uleb since AL countries would demand more UlebCup spots if those wouldn't be divided by Adriatic league... as you all remember Slovenia had 2 spots in Uleb Cup, where Krka and Laško reached the playoffs everytime. with Adriatic league they've lost some good attendance, playing in 2nd level in europe and mostprobably some sponsors as well...

5. There aren't really clubs from bigger areas in Slo that would be interested in competing for a spot in adriatic league and investing some money due to it as well, so the level of bball isn't increasing in 1.A as people thought it would before the AL was started... at least untill Koper or Krka would show some ambitions

6. I won't go to far but I think there aren't many people that actually trust AL management & referees... I barely trust Uleb, nobody trusts Italian Calcio football anymore... no need to say anything about Balkan cooking...

that's it, I know the league won't be canceled due to sponsor interests I am not neccesarily against it, but just saying some things that are bugging me and might be worth of debate...