Clear All

• SEABA Women's Championships

Participants:
    Philippines
    Malaysia
    Indonesia
    Singapore
    Thailand

What do you think? Can we win this tournament? What are the odds?
    GILAS WISHLIST:
    6'8 Pingris

We have a chance to give a good showing here, with some fil-american cagebells playing.. but winning the tournament is a tall order..
    Practice makes perfect, but nobody's perfect, so why practice?

Comment

Originally posted by interxavierxxx
      Participants:
      Philippines
      Malaysia
      Indonesia
      Singapore
      Thailand

What do you think? Can we win this tournament? What are the odds?
      RP women's basketball team eyes SEABA title (Positive News Media - Oct. 11, 2007)

MANILA, Oct. 10 (PNA) -– A newly-formed national women's basketball team is up for big challenge when it competes in the 2007 Southeast Asian Basketball Association (SEABA) championship which kicks off on Oct. 14 in Phuket, Thailand.

National coach Fritz Gaston said the Cebuana Lhuillier-backed RP women’s squad is prepared to have a shot at championship despite a two-year layoff due to FIBA suspension slapped on the Philippines.

“The expectation is for us to finish with bronze medal but I’d like to think that I’ve prepared them to have a shot at gold,” said Gaston after RP team's friendly game with sports reporters Monday night at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum.

Vicky Lynne Brick, a pretty Fil-American player who traced her Filipino lineage from her Fil-Am father, is expected to lead the team's quest for gold medal.

”The girls don’t have exposure but with a lot of heart and hard work, we might be able to pull surprises,” Gaston said.

Formed only two months ago, the RP team will leave on Friday and will go up against powerhouse Thailand on Oct. 14 and Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia.

The SEABA is part of the Nationals’ build up for the 24th Southeast Asian Games in Nakhon Ratchasima in Thailand on December 6 to 16.

Also members of the RP squad are homegrown Stephanie Villanueva, Kristin Chua, Emelia Vega, Joan Grajales, Dixie Valencia , Analyn Almazan, Minerva Narciza, Chovi Borja, Diane Jose, Marylyne Mateo, Cassy Tioseco, Aurora Adriano, Machiko Matsuno and Merenciana Arayi. (PNA)
      Our best shot would be a bronze medal no higher.......

Comment

think positive and let's believe

We can win this tournament!!!

GUys! can u post the list of our players with their heights?
        GILAS WISHLIST:
        6'8 Pingris

Comment

Vicky Lynne Brick, a pretty Fil-American player who traced her Filipino lineage from her Fil-Am father, is expected to lead the team's quest for gold medal.
          Fanboys unite!
          Keep running, big boy.

Comment

Internet, ‘pancit canton’ lead to Fil-Am’s discovery
            By Beth Celis
            Inquirer
            Last updated 00:43am (Mla time) 10/11/2007

Close this MANILA, Philippines -- Typical of this so-called cyber age, the discovery of Filipino-American national player Vicky Brick from the University of Maryland, a Division I US NCAA squad, came through the Internet.

And SBP executive director Patrick Gregorio was the one who tracked her down.

“I was searching the US NCAA website one day, in an effort to find a Fil-Am talent for our ladies national team, when I came across Vicky’s photo,” Pato recounted.

“I guess it was pure intuition, because Vicky’s name didn’t sound Filipino and neither did she look like one. But I got curious and read through her bio-data. When I got to the item that said her favorite dish was pancit canton, it was like hitting the jackpot. I knew she must have had some Filipino blood in her,” related Pato, who struck another coincidence when he found out what Vicky’s middle name is.

Gregorio.

More than Pato, ladies national team coach Fritz Gaston is happy that Vicky was discovered.

“Her presence has raised the team’s level of play. She is definitely an invaluable addition,” Fritz said.

On Friday Vicky leaves with the ladies’ team for Phuket, Thailand where it will compete in the Seaba qualifier for the FIBA-Asia Women’s championship.

Personally, I’m glad that many people are now taking care of our ladies’ team. There’s Jean Henri Lhuillier of Cebuana Lhuillier, Cynthia Tiu of Discovery Suites, Marivic del Pilar of Victory Liner, and Alex Wang of PRC Couriers.
            SMART GILAS: all the way

Comment

ahahay !!! sweet wet dreams

Originally posted by JonarSabilano
              Fanboys unite!
              =========================================
              Anyone who wants to replace a coach because his dwarf team keeps losing against bigger teams is wishing for a miracle and should get a magician. A more practical solution is to get reinforcements unless one is content to wait a few more years in the hope that the dwarf players will grow wings and fly over their defenders. PBA reinforcements will not guarantee a championship, but it will guarantee close losses which is enough to make me happy.

Comment

The RP-Cebuana Lhuillier women’s team is at the SEABA tournament in Phuket, Thailand to flex its muscles after more than two years of dormancy. The team, made up of former national players and collegiate stars and the first female Fil-Am in Vicki Brick, is hoping to improve on its traditional third-place finishes in the ASEAN region.

“One weapon that we have, which I think few other teams use, is the press,” says head coach Fritz Gaston. “We can press and force turnovers and make them have a hard time bringing the ball up.”

True enough, the women’s team went on a tear the last week, beating De La Salle by 60, Adamson by 40, and even coming from behind to defeat the champion Xavier high school boys’ team, as well as other men’s teams. After the SEABA, the team will come home to prepare for the SEA Games. At least two more Fil-foreign players are slated to join the lineup.
                <--- science always wins over bullshit --->

Comment

Originally posted by RetiredJordanStopper
                  The RP-Cebuana Lhuillier women’s team is at the SEABA tournament in Phuket, Thailand to flex its muscles after more than two years of dormancy. The team, made up of former national players and collegiate stars and the first female Fil-Am in Vicki Brick, is hoping to improve on its traditional third-place finishes in the ASEAN region.

“One weapon that we have, which I think few other teams use, is the press,” says head coach Fritz Gaston. “We can press and force turnovers and make them have a hard time bringing the ball up.”

True enough, the women’s team went on a tear the last week, beating De La Salle by 60, Adamson by 40, and even coming from behind to defeat the champion Xavier high school boys’ team, as well as other men’s teams. After the SEABA, the team will come home to prepare for the SEA Games. At least two more Fil-foreign players are slated to join the lineup.

Xavier boys are lucky to play them hehehe
                  To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                  1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

Originally posted by interxavierxxx
                    think positive and let's believe

We can win this tournament!!!

GUys! can u post the list of our players with their heights?
                    Yup, I believe they're the prettiest bunch, who can play basketball....

Comment

Philippine womens NT have a big chance to win in SEABA womens tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by joel23
                        Philippine womens NT have a big chance to win in SEABA womens tournament.
                        With Vicki Brick at the helm and the probable inclusion of two more fil-ams and our southeast asian neighbors doing the same thing, infusing foreign bred basketball players then this tournament might be interesting to watch after all.

Come now guys, don't expect too much. I want to believe .......but...but...but............my instinct tells me otherwise.

Comment

guys, updates pls....

wat's happening?
                          GILAS WISHLIST:
                          6'8 Pingris

Comment

Hey Philippine women NT won over Thailand women NT 80-76...
                            Both teams are only womens South East Asian powerhouses..

A good improve for RP womens NT. A tune-up game with boys team they played against PCU highschool boys, Xavier HS boys, Malabon National Highschool boys and Philippine coaches. An effective our girls playing against the boys team for more improving.

Originally posted by RetiredJordanStopper

A compared to weaker w/o Fil-Ams in 2005 played in FIBA-Asia and preparing for the last SEA Games here but postponed cause of FIBA suspension. Philippine womens NT lost to PCU highschool boys by 35points 101-66? Compare now is little stronger a bit, need more women Fil-Am players for going to Asian level 1 competitive.

Comment

Joel23, the advocate of women basketball.
                              "There are only three kinds of mathematicians: those who can count, and those who can not."

Ana "The Hurricane" Julaton - 1st Filipino Female Boxer Double Word Champion.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information