PDA

View Full Version : who will get the euroleague "rising star" award

Joško Poljak Fan
10-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Players born in 86' or younger can qualify.
previous winners: Erazem Lorbek (Fortitudo) in 05/06 and Rudy Fernandez (Joventud) in 06/07

Danilo Gallinari (SF, 202cm, 88') Armani Milano
Ersan Ilyasova (SF, 207cm, 87') Barcelona
Cenk Akyol (SG, 200cm, 87') Efes Pilsen
Nicholas Batum (SF, 202cm, 88') Le Mans
Martynas Gecevicius (SG, 193cm, 88') Lietuvos Rytas
Nikola Peković (PF, 210cm, 86') Partizan
Uroš Tripković (SG, 196cm, 86') Partizan
Goran Dragič (PG, 193cm, 86') Olimpija
Mantas Kalnietis (SG, 195cm, 86') Žalgiris
(I added these, as the mostlikely contenders to the poll, if I left out someone by mistake, I'll add him later)

mentioable:
Tim Olbrecht (PF, 211cm, 88') Broose basket
Alexey Shved (SG, 195cm, 88') CSKA
Oguz Savas (C, 213cm, 87') Fenerbahce
Emir Preldžić (SF, 205cm, 87') Fenerbahce
Semih Erden (C/PF, 211cm, 86') Fenerbahce
Gašper Vidmar (C, 209cm, 87') Fenerbahce
Antoine Diot (PG, 192cm, 89') Le Mans
Omri Casspi (SF, 205cm, 88') Maccabi
Miloš Teodošić (PG, 195cm, 87') Olympiakos
Milenko Tepić (PG, 198cm, 87') Partizan
Novica Velicković (PF, 207cm, 86') Partizan
Stanko Barać (C, 213cm, 86') Tau
Močnik Jan (PG, 176cm, 87') Olimpija
Vylmantas Dylis (SF, 205cm, 87') Žalgiris

also from the past two competitions, it's obvious that TOP16 and players performance there plays a big part in the selection.
To answer some questions before being asked; no this is no talent comparison, if a player is stuck on a strong team and won't be getting more than 5-10 minutes per game, than the chances to get elected as "rising star2 of euroleague are proportionaly smaller as well.

Straight forward
10-06-2007, 12:39 PM
I voted for Goran Dragič cause he realy impressed me in Eurobasket. Everybody talks that Ilyasova is very prospective but i didn't saw that in Eurobasket, maybe because of 'NBA stars' in Turkey roster...
Mantas Kalnietis and Gecevicius can take this award as well, though Gecevicius is 19 years old!

BTW, who was the one last year?

Sss
10-06-2007, 12:59 PM
I think, Teodosic should also be on the poll.

Turkish Airlines Euroleague
10-06-2007, 01:15 PM
Where is Teodosic ? :confused:
He's already leader of Olympiakos, after Macas!!!

Marble
10-06-2007, 02:26 PM
I vote for Goran Dragic because I think he'll get more playing time than the others and he can really stand out in a medium-level team like Olympia.
Danillo Galinari would be my second choice, but I haven't really seen him and I think he's got less experience than the others.

Joško Poljak Fan
10-06-2007, 02:40 PM
If you really think Teodošić will be getting 20-30 minutes per game as most of the guys I've listed in the poll should, with Greer, Blakney, Macijauskas and Papamakarios playing along him and Gershon as a headcoach, than I can add him to the poll... I love his game and if he'd be given apropriate ammount of minutes and responsibility in his hands than he should be one of the protagonists for the award. But unless he gets those minutes, he'll fall out.
quoteing myself again.

To answer some questions before being asked; no this is no talent comparison, if a player is stuck on a strong team and won't be getting more than 5-10 minutes per game, than the chances to get elected as "rising star" of euroleague are proportionaly smaller as well.

personaly I'd go with Dragič (although I'm surprised by the ammount of votes he received so far) and Peković (Galinari and Gecevicius being close to both) if their teams would qualify to top16, in case they don't I think Ilyasova is the main candidate as long as he gets enough of a role in Barca.

Sss
10-06-2007, 02:53 PM
If you really think Teodošić will be getting 20-30 minutes per game as most of the guys I've listed in the poll should, with Greer, Blakney, Macijauskas and Papamakarios playing along him and Gershon as a headcoach, than I can add him to the poll... I love his game and if he'd be given apropriate ammount of minutes and responsibility in his hands than he should be one of the protagonists for the award. But unless he gets those minutes, he'll fall out.
quoteing myself again.

personaly I'd go with Dragič (although I'm surprised by the ammount of votes he received so far) and Peković (Galinari and Gecevicius being close to both) if their teams would qualify to top16, in case they don't I think Ilyasova is the main candidate as long as he gets enough of a role in Barca.

Do you think that Kalnietis and Gecevicius will get more than 15 minutes in EL? Then you should remove those too...

Turkish Airlines Euroleague
10-06-2007, 03:03 PM
quoteing myself again.

I think I have a more clear view of my team, and I say you that Teodosic is our first playmaker. Greer is team's combo guard. Will be a playmaker when Teodosic will be in the bench. So, if you want, add him to the list... ;)

T.W.Is.M.
10-06-2007, 03:30 PM
I voted 4 Dragic too.I think he will find the necessary time in Olimpija 2 shine and develop.My second choices would b Batum who has no votes till now and Tepic who is not in the poll, but is mentioned in the first post by Matiz.I wouldn't go 4 any of the players playing in rich and deep(rosterwise) clubs, such as Ilyasova, Akyol or Teodosic.
@euroleague:I don't think Teodosic will find more than 10-15 mpg, at least this season.Of course I'm not Gershon and I still haven't seen the team play, but Gershon tends 2 keep the american PG 4 many mins and it's not easy 2 leave Macas or Woods out 4 a long time of the game(not 2 mention Blakney, Seibutis-when he returns, Vasileiadis)

Joško Poljak Fan
10-06-2007, 06:41 PM
I think I have a more clear view of my team, and I say you that Teodosic is our first playmaker. Greer is team's combo guard. Will be a playmaker when Teodosic will be in the bench. So, if you want, add him to the list... ;)
I added Teodošić, but your statement above is arguable to say the least...
could someone post here how many minutes was Teodošić getting in preseason games and maybee explain it as well?

I guess Teodošić will be no.1 point guard in Oly just the way Oly has the best frontcourt in euroleague, right? I really love your judgement...

MikeMaccabiFan
10-06-2007, 06:47 PM
could someone post here how many minutes was Teodošić getting in preseason games and maybee explain it as well?

I guess Teodošić will be no.1 point guard in Oly just the way Oly has the best frontcourt in euroleague, right? I really love your judgement...
In tonight game against Maccabi he played quite a lot, but didn't show too much - only one good 3pointer...
EL is simply wrong - Greer was taking most of playmaking on himself, while Blackney in this game didn't show much.

ArkadiosV2
10-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Of course Teodosic deserves to be Oly's first choice for PG position, but this is a team and a coach where anything can happen, so i seriously doubt that he will be #1 or even get more than 12 minutes per game.

I voted for Batum.

T.W.Is.M.
10-06-2007, 07:44 PM

since Teodosic was added after several users had voted, I think that anyone that voted before that addition should b able 2 pick again between his initial pick and Teodosic(i.e. if they pick Teodosic their vote could change-if that is possible of course).I still pick Dragic as I explained in my previous post.

Joško Poljak Fan
10-06-2007, 07:45 PM
since Teodosic was added after several users had voted, I think that anyone that voted before that addition should b able 2 pick again between his initial pick and Teodosic(i.e. if they pick Teodosic their vote could change-if that is possible of course).I still pick Dragic as I explained in my previous post.
anyone that wants to vote for Teo but already voted for someone else can PM me.

Srle
10-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Pekovic or Velickovic. Its no brainer.

Picek
10-07-2007, 06:26 AM
I've picked Gallinari and my second choice would be Ilyasova..
reason why Gallinari.
it's simple, eventhough he is a young player his team depends on him a lot.. I expect him to play 25-30 minutes in euroleague already this season...
same goes for Ilyasova, his NBA experience is irrelevant in this matter but it can help him in finding his place in Barcelona..
since Navarro is no longer there other player will have to step up, Ilyasova can be one of them...
the second reason why Ilyasova, Barca will probably advance further then any other team from those on the list so that could help Ilyasova as well...
third one would be Dragič..
I really liked him on EC..
as for Teodosić, IMO moving to Olympiakos wasn't a good move for him..
neither would be moving to Pao for that matter..
I think he made a wrong choice..
he needs more playing time in euroleague and I don't think he will get that from Pini.. and sitting on the bench could really hurt him 'cause it will be a strange situation for him..
but we will see, hopefully Pini and Teodosic will prove me wrong..

LEFKIPPOS
10-14-2007, 10:11 AM
guys there is a serbian player called kastnic, he was the leader of the junior national team of serbia that won this year euro championship, he is the biggest star of european basketball for future, keep an eye on this guy

Joško Poljak Fan
10-14-2007, 10:45 AM
guys there is a serbian player called kastnic, he was the leader of the junior national team of serbia that won this year euro championship, he is the biggest star of european basketball for future, keep an eye on this guy
it's Katnić and he is not playing in euroleague, therefore he has nothing in common with euroleague rising star award. ;)

LEFKIPPOS
10-18-2007, 08:29 PM
matiz tell us some things about this guy
i was amazed with him
if i had a team i would get him immediately

MikeMaccabiFan
10-18-2007, 10:27 PM
Matiz, and what about Caspi?
He won't be in opening five of course, but he looks pretty good till now in pre-season games.

P.S. And since our friend was banned, someone has to say that:p (and Caspi is yellow now;))

Richey666
10-19-2007, 11:05 AM
So these are the guys, one of which is supposed to be Euroleague's rookie of the year?
NBA has Kevin Durant and all you got are these guys...like Bucks liability Ilyasova? or Gecevicius who I saw outplayed like a fiddle by mediocre 35-smth Estonian players as lately as last year :D Who's saying Euroleague is closing on NBA?
Anyway, if I could I'd vote for Ricky Rubio.

Straight forward
10-19-2007, 11:14 AM
So these are the guys, one of which is supposed to be Euroleague's rookie of the year?
NBA has Kevin Durant and all you got are these guys...like Bucks liability Ilyasova? or Gecevicius who I saw outplayed like a fiddle by mediocre 35-smth Estonian players as lately as last year :D Who's saying Euroleague is closing on NBA?

You're funny :) who's that Kevin Durant? Should i mouth his name on my knees? And who said Euroleague is closing on NBA? Euroleague is way stronger! :p

Joško Poljak Fan
10-19-2007, 11:24 AM
mostlikely yes.

NBA has Kevin Durant and all you got are these guys...like Bucks liability Ilyasova? or Gecevicius who I saw outplayed like a fiddle by mediocre 35-smth Estonian players as lately as last year :D
Jerry Stackhouse was once outplayed by Gregor Belina... meaning?... nothing exactly.

Who's saying Euroleague is closing on NBA?
practicaly everyone but you, and that's even a stronger argument since you don't watch euroleague and are not interested in it. So practicaly your opinion on this subject is as relevant as mine on Estonian chess team :)

prooving my above statement once more.

I'm glad you enjoy the conversation here, however I hope you'll understand if in the future your post that will include tension to provocations or won't contribute to the discussion with the reasons you've already stated yourself will be edited or deleted.:)

Richey666
10-19-2007, 11:35 AM
Matiz, man, you're fast:D
So how many games must one watch in Euroleague to be able to comment on the players here by your standards? Last year I watched average two games a week, also games from Baltic League and NBA.
funny you're telling here who's opinion is relevant and who's not. you might have more basketball knowledge than me, but well,I've seen you be proven wrong quite often too.
Also funny here are people calling others racists, haters of other nations and you're not doing anything about it, but while your dear Euroleague is rightfully mocked, than you will start threatening with deletion-

Straight forward
10-19-2007, 11:49 AM
-> Richey666

1. You're missing a lot of points. For example, you're rating EL and NBA at the same parameter like "individual skils" what is apparently wrong.
2. You're not grounding your opinion except some fragments like "NBA has Kevin Durant...".
3. Why shoud some-one respond to your post properly if your posts is incorrect?

Joško Poljak Fan
10-19-2007, 12:38 PM
Matiz, man, you're fast:D
So how many games must one watch in Euroleague to be able to comment on the players here by your standards? Last year I watched average two games a week, also games from Baltic League and NBA.
funny you're telling here who's opinion is relevant and who's not. you might have more basketball knowledge than me, but well,I've seen you be proven wrong quite often too.
Also funny here are people calling others racists, haters of other nations and you're not doing anything about it, but while your dear Euroleague is rightfully mocked, than you will start threatening with deletion-
i'm not bothered by different opinions, you might seen me disagreeing real hard on many subjects with some members on this forum, but won't see their posts edited because of that, eventhough your response is indicating I am implying that, with one of the most predictable and universial "mod-vs. someone edited/about to get edited" pick up lines.

One thing I am bothered with though, are people that make an impression that come to post here in order to make troubles, upset people with one sided doubtable statements potentialy taken out of the context to over and over again repeate their point of view. we got that, cool... now if you have anything to contribute, fine - contribute, posts as the one above don't... as IBN and expecially the forums i'm after prefer avoiding provocative content.

let's see:

NBA has Kevin Durant and all you got are these guys...like Bucks liability Ilyasova?You didn't judge Durant vs. Ilyasova on the hype principle only or did you? europe definately doesn't have as effective hype machine if that's what's bothering you? I actually like it that way since I've seen too many talented basketball players around dropping to mediocracy as soon as they got their fame and first big €.
The fact that some lone Goran Dragič or Novica Velicković alltogether got the 1.5% of the Ricky Rubio hype doesn't mean they'll neccesarily end up as a 1.5 % of a players as far as Fiba or NBA basketball is concerned, same goes for Durant.
Noone here cares enough to judge those players primarily from NBA point of view as you might've already noticed (if you are interested in NBAdraft debates, I can help you with some links to forums orientated towards that) and yet Ilyasova failing in NBA doesn't mean anything to me at all afterall I kept saying he was going there too young and it's not hard to realise the precendent for too young euro players going to NBA too early, that's why I oppose that, and the attitude of NBA teams with those kids is also one of the major resentments from my part towards NBA. Ilyasova has a lot to proove, but has neither yet prooved to be unable to develope into a good player.
Also if you don't manage to seperate a chance a 2nd pick of the draft gets in his rookie season and the chance 2nd rounder does, than I hope you won't be too offended if I say- get back to curling ;) there is nothing good for you in basketball.

or Gecevicius who I saw outplayed like a fiddle by mediocre 35-smth Estonian players as lately as last year Who's saying Euroleague is closing on NBA?
Gecevicious might not be the top candidate for it eventhough he did have some decent preseason games, nevermind your comparison is as laughable to say the least. For example there was a member on this forum that dropped 20+ (and allowed 3 point) on a guy that decided a U20 EC final game at the buzzer, while he became... a software ingeneer, the other guy will earn his money with bball profesionaly and probably couldn't care less for that game anymore. I wouldn't say you've played bball seriously, otherwise you'd be aware that being outplayed at junior age means... nothing; and examples as the one above are in thousands...

Otherwise as you might've noticed not all european talented players are stacked in an euroleague teams. None of them will be getting sure 25-30 minutes due to their talent and potential only, or because some GM feels obliged to justify his investment/draft pick no matter the despicable production as we can witness in NBA.
Don't even get me started with the Bucks... it's a wide known fact that both games differ to the extention some euro players aren't usefull one bit when it comes to NBA game and the same the other way around, comparing the talent for european basketball from NBA standpoint is useless because of that.

I haven't seen such case being reported (the "report post" button you have as one of the options) lately and I obviously missed the case on the forum. So unless you report it or I manage to notice it for me it doesn't exist and makes me believe you're talking out of your head in an desperate attempt just to proove your temporal case.
as for euroleague rightfully mocked; there are tons of stuff that need improvement or are operating at a really low level now, however you won't see any of the mod team having troubles with posters warning on those issues in a normal way without the "laughing at you" tone you posses and as I said won't bring you far on this forum. Coming in, provocating, denying while doing it and acting "poor me" won't work.
As I said, if you have anything meaningfull to add to the discussion, do it, if you don't or intend to post the way you did untill now, no need to waste the keyboard as I have right now.;)

P.S. as you might feel the need to continue the "mod" part of this conversation, I'd like to remember you you've got private messages in order for that ans posts in this topic regarding the modding theme can be considered as OT/spam. If you believe I was doing something wrong, please report it to Stuart
Or report it to human rights activists as well, since I am obviously threatening when posting a simple warning with explanation...

De Ridder
10-19-2007, 01:24 PM
Goran Dragic and Batum for me.a tones of talent and will have quite a lot of minutes in their teams unlike Teodosic

Toxicity
10-25-2007, 08:52 AM
Players born in 86' or younger can qualify.
previous winners: Erazem Lorbek (Fortitudo) in 05/06 and Rudy Fernandez (Joventud) in 06/07

Man, i know you don't like italian teams and italians in general (:p) but you can't deny Andrea Bargnani won the award for the 2005-06 season (while Lorbek, your contryman, won it in 2004-05)...

BTW my pick for the Rising Star Awar is... Pekovic! :D

Well, i hope Gallinari can compete with those guys despite his recent physical issues...

Genjuro
10-26-2007, 08:34 AM
I know I'm playing with advantage (I missed this topic earlier), but Matiz, I don't understand why you considered Tripkovic ahead of Tepic in the poll. The guy is every year a worse player. Also, it seems that Akyol has regressed or something, and I don't expect him to shine anytime soon (which is a pity, because I think he's a major basketball talent). And Kalnietis needs a lot of work on his half-court skills to gain his coaches' confidence. He's a player that excells in Summer Leagues and camps, but when it comes to organized basketball, he has a very long way to go.

Joško Poljak Fan
10-26-2007, 04:03 PM
I know I'm playing with advantage (I missed this topic earlier), but Matiz, I don't understand why you considered Tripkovic ahead of Tepic in the poll. The guy is every year a worse player.
believe me, I was asking my self about that quite numerous times since I posted the poll. At that time I was still under the poor impressio Tepić left in last season and "mediocre" games seen (at least from what I've expected) in U20 tournament. While it's hard to believe, but Tripković actually is playing worse every season, I thought that can't happen once more and that he is very likely to outburst now if he didn't in the last few years... but obviously he desperately needs a change of enviroment.
at least I take the honor of being the only one that voted for Peković in the poll :D

Also, it seems that Akyol has regressed or something, and I don't expect him to shine anytime soon (which is a pity, because I think he's a major basketball talent). And Kalnietis needs a lot of work on his half-court skills to gain his coaches' confidence. He's a player that excells in Summer Leagues and camps, but when it comes to organized basketball, he has a very long way to go.
haven't seen neither of those yet, but I believe you...
started the poll too soon I guess, while it wouldn't be a bad thing to wait a week or two to start a new one i guess...

Man, i know you don't like italian teams and italians in general () but you can't deny Andrea Bargnani won the award for the 2005-06 season (while Lorbek, your contryman, won it in 2004-05)...
sorry... I guess my hate for you nation dragged me too far :p
i thought those awards are only being granted for the past two seasons... learning/remembering something new every day I guess...

ArkadiosV2
11-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Out of the 61 voters only Joško Poljak Fan and uhg80 got Pekovic who destroyed any competition for the title.

CG
11-24-2007, 08:34 AM
Pekovic is as good as paradise.
no competition this year cause of him

Dareliukaz
11-24-2007, 05:11 PM
I think it will be Pekovic, look he pulling up hole team , ofcourse i wanna that Kalnietis will be that star , but he is playing to short to ger a 'rising star' titule

Neozyrus
11-24-2007, 05:28 PM
You know it is not only that he's by now the most obvious candidate to win this award: This guy is right now the second in the race of total MVP of euroleague!
Hope that he will be smarter than Perovic last year, and next year he wil sign with a big team in Europe, in order to keep progressing. He's already showing his potential, now is up to him to explote it.

special-thanks-2
11-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Nikola Pekovic and Danilo Gallinari are my favourites.

Alyosha12
11-24-2007, 08:48 PM
Nikola Pekovic will get this one no question about it.

AiwiTo
11-24-2007, 11:01 PM
S. Lulli is my favorite :d he started the game from the beginning this week in EL, and played ~5 minutes :)

to back to reality.. pekovic is the best young player so far, no question about it..

Toxicity
12-07-2007, 09:56 AM
Yesterday Gallinari just destroyed Batum in their Euroleague challenge...

Real stats by Danilo so far (someone told Euroleague he didn't play against Lietuvos Ritas!!!):

16.6 ppg
4.8 rpg
2.2 spg
1.8 apg
1.8 tpg
6.2 fouls drawn pg
19.4 rkg

Not bad for a 19 y-o...

Picek
12-09-2007, 12:50 PM

Real stats by Danilo so far (someone told Euroleague he didn't play against Lietuvos Ritas!!!):

16.6 ppg
4.8 rpg
2.2 spg
1.8 apg
1.8 tpg
6.2 fouls drawn pg
19.4 rkg

Not bad for a 19 y-o...
not bad is a understatement..
and he is doing all that eventhough he is still coming back after injury..
impressive..
he alone destroyed VidiVici today..
too bad Italy is coached by dinosaur Recalcati.. 'cause with Gallinari, Bellinelli and Bargnani there is a solid base for an important role in europe bball in upcoming years..

raph
12-09-2007, 01:31 PM
He's just more agressive and physical than batum (who is still 18 btw) is. Though batum is more 'all around' i think (better half court vision and quickness). Would be more fair to judge batum in another team than le mans though as we have a pretty weak team and its quite easy to target him.

Not that he cannot shine though. he scored 25 against nancy this saturday for a decent 30rkg. And he can defend really good when he wants (which was the case yesterday especially in second half).

special-thanks-2
12-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Danilo Gallinari is pure poetry. And what's most impressive is he keeps improving game after game. This guy can do it all, so exciting to watch when he's on the court. I just hope the rumors reporting he's leaving Milano and Italy aren't true.

Toxicity
12-10-2007, 10:17 AM
He's just more agressive and physical than batum (who is still 18 btw) is. Though batum is more 'all around' i think (better half court vision and quickness). Would be more fair to judge batum in another team than le mans though as we have a pretty weak team and its quite easy to target him.

Gallinari is much older... yeah, 4 months older. :rolleyes:

The truth is Gallinari is already a player (not only a great prospect) while Batum has still long ways to go (inconsistency, suspect attitude and aggressiveness, etc)... he may be considered the better NBA prospect given his athleticism but i still have some doubts.

Toxicity
12-10-2007, 10:19 AM
not bad is a understatement..
and he is doing all that eventhough he is still coming back after injury..
impressive..
he alone destroyed VidiVici today..
too bad Italy is coached by dinosaur Recalcati.. 'cause with Gallinari, Bellinelli and Bargnani there is a solid base for an important role in europe bball in upcoming years..

Agree. Especially on the part about that fuc*king dinosaur... :mad:

I just hope 2 years from now Italy has another coach (Recalcati contract expires in 2009).

special-thanks-2
12-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Yeah, Batum is a better athlete, but this doesn't mean Gallinari is not athletic. Great two-handed dunk yesterday over the opponents' head, leaping from downtown. This kid is special.

Toxicity
12-12-2007, 08:40 AM

16.6 ppg
4.8 rpg
2.2 spg
1.8 apg
1.8 tpg
6.2 fouls drawn pg
19.4 rkg

Not bad for a 19 y-o...

Look at the Gallinari page on Euroleague site: http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?gamenumber=8&gamecode=91&pcode=KRD&phasetypecode=rs

LOL @ Euroleague paying heed to me... :D

ArkadiosV2
06-25-2008, 05:21 PM
:p :p :p :p

http://media2.feed.gr/filesystem/images/20080625/low/newego_LARGE_t_881_1215994.JPG