The "Joint" Korean Team in 2008?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Joint" Korean Team in 2008?

The latest news from the Korean peninsula amidst the Kim Jung Il- Noh Moo Hyun summit is that the two sides may send a joint team to 2008 Beijing Olympics, or in the case of basketball, to the Olympic Qualifier.
    http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...136_11273.html
    Koreas Expected to Send Joint Team to Beijing

Former Unification Minister Jeong Se-hyunBy Joint Press Corps, Kang Seung-woo
    Staff Reporter

South and North Koreas took a big step toward making a unified Korean team for the Beijing Olympics next year.

Former Unification Minister Jeong Se-hyun, 62 said Wednesday that the two sides came near to an agreement during Inter-Korean exchanges with regard to sending a single Olympic team to the world sports event.

``We are close to a proposal that an equal number of athletes from each country will be selected for the contingent. The two Koreas will continue working-level talks,'' Jeong, chairman of the Korean Council for Reconciliation and Cooperation and the special entourage representative, said.

He added that Kim Jung-kil, president of the Korea Olympic Committee (KOC) suggested that the torch be relayed from Seoul to Beijing through the route President Roh Moo-hyun took on his way to Pyongyang. He added that the North has not given any definite answer.

Since December 2005, the two Koreas have discussed the possibility of a joint team on four occasions but have failed to reach a conclusion because of a disagreement on how to select athletes.

The South has insisted on choosing athletes based on their ability while the North wants the same number of athletes representing each side.

It is ball sports that impede the road to a unified Korea team due to a discrepancy in ability between the two nations.

However, South Korea said recently that it would accept the North's proposal of an even number of athletes in several events.

``Other than South Korea being the favorite in field hockey and handball, we can comply with North Korea's demands in football, baseball, basketball and volleyball,'' the KOC head said in an interview in August.
    However, if the North insists on brining in 6 players to the basketball team, that's probably a disaster. The North is probably not terrible -- they were in the top 8 in 2002 Asian Games -- but they have not played in any serious international tournament since then and I really doubt that their players can compete in the international level. If the South had ~5% chance of qualifying, the South-North joint team, if having same number of players from each side, will have 0.5%.
    aim low, score high

Originally posted by sinobball
    However, if the North insists on brining in 6 players to the basketball team, that's probably a disaster. The North is probably not terrible -- they were in the top 8 in 2002 Asian Games -- but they have not played in any serious international tournament since then and I really doubt that their players can compete in the international level. If the South had ~5% chance of qualifying, the South-North joint team, if having same number of players from each side, will have 0.5%.
    Thanks for the info on this, Sino. I'm glad you're watching the news wires for things like this.

In the interest of political reconciliation and my sincere hope that North Korea changes, I hope that ventures like this can open the North's borders. North Korea is a horrible regime with horrible people manipulating an entire country. After reading The Eyes of Tailless Animals and The Aquariums of Pyongyang recently, I understand just how desperately this country must change.

I'm sure that Sino is right: North Korean basketball is pretty poor right now. But if this helps the country socially, I support it one hundred percent.

--Matt
    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

South Korean basketball isn't going to qualify for Beijing anyway... didn't North Korea have a 2,36 (7'9'') center?

Comment

Originally posted by alermac
        South Korean basketball isn't going to qualify for Beijing anyway... didn't North Korea have a 2,36 (7'9'') center?
        True, Ri Myong-Hun, is he still playing? It would be "interesting" to see two giants (he and Ha Seung-Jin) playing in the same team.
        Anyway, good to know basketball might help solving political problems between the two Koreas.
        Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
        Artificial Nature

Comment

north korea sux they just have this giant but even if korea take 6 players from south and 6 from north they will become a better team cuz south korea doesnt really play more than 7 players in a game so the rotation during the game could be the 6 south koreans and the north korean giant unless the coach is forced to play the north koreans as much as the south koreans than they will become a worse team cuz north korea only has this center as a good player the last time i watched them......

Comment

Originally posted by karim
            north korea sux they just have this giant but even if korea take 6 players from south and 6 from north they will become a better team cuz south korea doesnt really play more than 7 players in a game so the rotation during the game could be the 6 south koreans and the north korean giant unless the coach is forced to play the north koreans as much as the south koreans than they will become a worse team cuz north korea only has this center as a good player the last time i watched them......
            I watched Noth korea from 5 years ago playing in Asian games 2002 in Busan,they are fast kindly like South korea,and their giant isn't good he needs more practice.
            Proud to be Lebanese
            www.arabasket.com

Comment

Originally posted by alermac
              I also don't think Korea can qualify but I think they can beat 1 team outside Asia/Africa. Last year they lost by 1 to Turkey and by 1 to Lithuania in WBC tune-up games, both at home however. They have the big man (Ha Seung-Jin), a couple nice PFs, and top-notch guards. They lack consistent shooters however, and when you live by the 3 you die of the 3, so their chance of qualifying is low.

The North Korean giant wasn't good to begin with, and last time I heard of him was when 7-9 Sun Mingming said he schooled Ri when his Heilongjiang club visited North Korea in 2004(?). Ri was probably better in the 90's but he is like 40 years old now (born in 1967, if the North Korean ages can be trusted )
              aim low, score high

Comment

Personally, a unified Korean Basketball Team is unlikely. There are two governments with different idiologies not to mention one lives in the dark ages and the other modern western style living. The only way this will happen when the two Koreas become one country just like what happened to Germany.

Comment

Yeah, Forget ri myung hun, he's turning 41 this year..without him, north korean wont be able to compensate their height factor.......

Comment

Nope!

IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! It would be such a terrible team.

And second, they are not even sure that South Korea is going to the olympics or not.

Comment

for addition info

RPNT of 02 beats the North Korean Team.

The play of NoKor is predictable. Pass the ball to RI.

He was tightly guarded by 6'9 Taulava.

So in my own opinion the Combination of NoKor and SoKor will not happen. Let just sent the Sokor team and the Unified team.
                      Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Killer
                        But is Ri even playing anymore?
                        "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair
                          But is Ri even playing anymore?
                          Afaik he has already retired, he's 40 now.
                          Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                          Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Killer
                            for addition info

RPNT of 02 beats the North Korean Team.

He was tightly guarded by 6'9 Taulava.

So in my own opinion the Combination of NoKor and SoKor will not happen. Let just sent the Sokor team and not the Unified team.
                            sorry for wrong grammar
                            Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information