PDA

View Full Version : supercup

Joško Poljak Fan
09-26-2007, 03:31 PM
...at least it's supposed to be called like that, eventhough a vast majority of people still consider national championship and national cup as the only titles. Maybee Supercup would have the same treatment in few years, but anyway.

It's between Helios and Olimpija, Helios won the national and cup championship last year as the first club apart Olimpija in slovenian bball history and Olimpija is in as 2nd placed team in both competitions.

Once more RTV Slovenija deserves all congrats for ignoring basketball again, sportklub will broadcast the game and it's available in sth. like 20% of the households only. Those sport editors should be banned from public TV, they didn't even care to broadcast other games from european championship managed to broadcast the Slovenia - Belorusia friendly game and miss the begining of Slo-Lit on EC07 as it is the case lots of times with bball :rolleyes:
that was a bit ot, but i'm still mad as hell, nevermind I am one of those lucky guys that has the sportklub tv.

Helios is missing Janža and Močnik, Troha is supposed to play this game, while Olimpija is missing Begič for the next month, of course Ožbolt untill january and doesn't have a noticable inside presence apart from Milič and Zupan.
Martič kept repeating to his team (on the tournament in Kranjska Gora) to push the ball in the paint, at the end when Helios managed to do so, Laškevič scored sth. like 15+ points with noone able to guard him. If Helios will start playing agressive in defense as they managed to do in the 2nd half, put the ball under the rim and transfer the ball better vs. Bailey/Taylor duo, they have chances for an upset. Olimpija will also test Booker and Andersen in this game so I guess at least Booker might provide those 5 personal fouls in defense under the rim. Otherwise I hope Zupan will stay out of those normally neccesary, but since he is the only inside player right now, harmfull fouls. If he manages to do that and we won't get the chance to adore Dončič as our center again in the last quarter, Olimpija should win it.

one thing more: I'll be happy to see Močnik again, he is a pure joy to watch. :)

elaj
09-26-2007, 06:19 PM
Helios Domžale - Union Olimpija 71:90 (52:70, 31:40, 17:15)
Helios Domžale: Moro 4pts+3rbs+2ast, Zalokar 6pts+2rbs+2ast, Mihalič 10pts+3rbs+1ast, Radojičić 4pts, Ingram 17pts+7rbs, Zagorc 6pts+3rbs+1ast, Krušič 2pts, Laškevič 8pts+3rbs, Krejič 14pts+3rbs
Union Olimpija: Dončič 18pts+4rbs, Booker 2pts, Anderson 10pts+3rbs+1ast, Milič 11pts+8rbs+1ast, Hukič 4pts+2ast, Bailey 13pts+3ast, Zupan 12pts+8rbs, Taylor 20pts+2rbs+1ast

Easy job for Olimpija... Helios managed to keep up only in first half of the game. They should be much better when Janža, Močnik and Troha recover. It's a shame for Helios that Olimpija actually managed to win rebounding 28 to 27 without any center at all. It is nice to see Dončič being in shape... he will be a decent sub on SF untill Hukić gets back in shape. Anyway, I didn't see the game, Matiz if you have Športklub channel and you saw the game (or even went there to Polzela), please write tha report. ;)

Capitan
09-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Anderson 10pts+3rbs+1ast

Lets take this guy...he is oky player i guess:rolleyes:

Joško Poljak Fan
09-26-2007, 07:28 PM
Anderson 10pts+3rbs+1ast

Lets take this guy...he is oky player i guess:rolleyes:
depends on what Memi wants. He is a spot up shooter, but looked a bit confused at defense, maybee it was just that, but he wasn't exactly shineing passing the blocks. He would be usefull stretching the defense, but I am not certain on how he'd pan out in defense... I mean Dončič is slow there as well and it's questionable on how many players like that in the same team can we afford in euroleague. He didn't really force himself up, either Taylor scared him off at practices :D or he has some issues with handling the ball...

Easy job for Olimpija... Helios managed to keep up only in first half of the game. They should be much better when Janža, Močnik and Troha recover. It's a shame for Helios that Olimpija actually managed to win rebounding 28 to 27 without any center at all. It is nice to see Dončič being in shape... he will be a decent sub on SF untill Hukić gets back in shape. Anyway, I didn't see the game, Matiz if you have Športklub channel and you saw the game (or even went there to Polzela), please write tha report.
I was in front of TV on a couch with a beer of course :D
Dončič nailed those 3 pointers, I think he missed the first two and than went with 5 consecutive, he really looked fired up against his former team though.
Just as you mentioned the 3 Helios guards missing, Taylor and Bailey (as well as Močnik) were putting some nice pressure on Krejič and Zagorc and it happened often that when Helios finaly transfered the ball in offense and made those two passes they were suddenly running out of time for properly executing their play, so they went for P&R instead.
Taylor and Bailey are prooving out to be great signings for Olimpija, providing nice defense along with steals and good fast break execution (which played the biggest part in 2nd and 3rd quarter when Olimpija created the difference)- Taylor must've scored 10 points on the fast breaks as far as I remember. Bailey still sometimes takes it too easy driving to the hoop, but I think we'll survive that. If Olimpija would only get Dragič this would be a sick guard rotation (defensive wise) and I can understand Tau not wanting that to happen.
Močnik had a day off, commited some TO's by overeacting, but played surprisingly well on the defensive end (that still doesn't mean much, but he wasn't beaten on the block every time on P&R), could've been because of tireing opponent guards under pressure, or because Martič demanded too much of an inside game.
Booker looked lost and confused, I kind of feel sorry for him, he might actually be a good player but he isn't used of this type of basketball that's for certain. In any case his not what Olimpija needs as Rajgelj already pointed out in one of his interviews, not physical enough.

It's also ovbious what Olimpija needs... a tough heavy weight center to close the space in the paint and rebound, don't care about his offense that much, Olimpija needs a presence there if he can score and put in some junk balls than even better- right now I'd say Varda...
Also I can absolutely agree (not that Memi should care about me agreeing) with trying out a spot up shooter like Anderson, I'd only prefer a bit more defensive one...

I was just talking on the phone so I didn't pay attention on how Mihelič got those 3 fouls at the begining, but he is actually good, meaning Olimpija's scouting wasn't all that bad in the past, guys like him and Mali just weren't ready yet for that level at the point they warmed the bench in Olimpija. He did get schooled by Dončič in some cases, but that happens to many more experienced players as well. SF with Moro and Mihelič looks promising, they maybee won't do some extra damage this season already, but they should be terrific next season and I think Helios made the right move by signing both of them, I'm really impressed and think they can both make the transition to adriatic league this year. I kind of resent Martič for not showcasing Krušič more, since it's the 2nd game I haven't noticed him commiting any mistake to deserve benching...
It's questionable on how much responsibility does Martič holds for this defeat (and Helios game overall), how much Olimpija or how much of it is on Močnik, Janža and Troha missing, but to my opinion Helios has a better team than last year so when those 3 guards come back the potential failure is on Martič...