Juan Carlos Navarro to NBA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juan Carlos Navarro to NBA.

Bad news for Euroleague's Winterthur Barcelona, good news for the NBA. Juan Carlos Navarro has decided to play on the NBA.

I can't wait to see him play in the NBA.

2008... Beijing, China
    2010... Vancouver, Canada
    2012... London, United Kingdom
    2014... Shoci, Russian Federation
    2016... Madrid, Chicago, Tokyo???

Wow, great news for the NBA.... let's see what Navarro can do now in the NBA. Pretty exciting. Is his rights still held by the Washington Wizards?

Navarro on NBA: `It's now or never'
    BARCELONA - Spanish sensation Juan Carlos Navarro has decided to have a go at a career in the NBA and has asked Winterthur Barcelona not to stand in his way.

The 1.91m guard, who turns 26 on June 13, is coming off arguably his finest season after making the all-tournament team at last year's EuroBasket and then earning most valuable players honours in Spain's top flight, the ACB.

He buried seven of 12 shots from the arc on Thursday on his way to 24 points but could not prevent Barca from blowing a 15-point lead against Tau Ceramica in Game Three of their semi-final series and crashing out of the post-season.

Tau earned a 3-0 sweep with an 84-78 triumph.

"It's now or never," a frustrated Navarro said, when asked about moving to the NBA.

Navarro's buyout clause is considerable. He is under contract through 2009 and must pay 10million euros to the club should he leave. Barca general manager Zoran Savic has already said the club will not reduce the buyout by one euro.

"I hope that after so many years of giving everything for this team, Barca will help me should I finally decide to leave," Navarro said, before saying more strongly: "I am going to try and go to the NBA."

Navarro made his debut with Barcelona in the ACB in 1997.

He has endured a year's worth of disappointment for club and country, with Spain falling to Germany in the EuroBasket semi-finals and then Barca losing to CSKA at the Euroleague Final Four and now against Tau in the ACB play-offs.
    http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
    http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
    http://www.interbasket.net

Comment

Originally posted by 23_for_life
      Bad news for Euroleague's Winterthur Barcelona, good news for the NBA. Juan Carlos Navarro has decided to play on the NBA.

I can't wait to see him play in the NBA.

http://www.fiba.com/pages/en/news/la...act_news=12913
      I have seen him play and he doesnt impress me. But I think his game is better suited for the NBA, so well see how he does.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by -K2-
        I have seen him play and he doesnt impress me. But I think his game is better suited for the NBA, so well see how he does.
        Of course his game is NOT better suited for the NBA. He is a small-sized shooting guard, without the necessary size and athleticism for long minutes at shooting guard or the skills to play some minutes at PG. He is an average defensive player in the International level, let alone the NBA and he may even need some time to adjust his offensive game to NBA standards.
        I find his decision a wrong one, but I think that, in case he is signed by the right team, he may get a chance at 15 mpg (if lucky of course...). After all, he can create for himself and is very persistent when it comes for personal stats, while he is tough to guard by most one-on-one defenses in the world basketball right now. Let's see (although I'd prefer to see him returnin to Europe).
        Sexuality when one reaches their 30s is either mainstream or sick, but no matter what, it isn't pure

Comment

I understand he wants to try his chances, but I don't see any light for him. Besides, there won't be those cheap foul calls any more (3.8 per game in EL), which not only save him from making turnovers but also send him to ft line for scoring. imho, similar was the case with Majiauskas, though he's been wasted without given any chance (7.1 mins per game).

anyway, good luck!
          5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

I understand that it's the kind of decision he somehow felt obligated to take at one point , but like most of you guys I don't see him having the kind of success over there that he's known in Europe . I don't think he possesses the sort of athletic skills and/or game that will tranfer well in the NBA .At best , I can see him turning into a role player providing some shooting from the bench . Not sure about how he will make the translation from his status in europe to anonymity in NBA ...
            “Asked if he would consider becoming a coach someday…Strickland looked up at his questioner with incredulity. ‘What, and coach people like me?"

Comment

As has been with all Euro players, the transition to the NBA will be tough the first year... But if a player like Juan Dixon played a big (bench) role in Washington the year before, I can see Navarro having atleast as much success.

Comment

The NBA, with 82 friendly games during the year, is the perfect championship for Navarro, who suffers certain environments. The Euroleague top-16 for example, or the crucial games with his national team. In the NBA regular season, where you can be considered a great shooter having the 40% in field goals, Navarro will find his true dimension. Some 2-on-7 in 12 minutes, and he will obtain some nicknames like "Spanish Sensation" or "El Toreador".
                Γυμναστικός Σύλλογος Περιστερίου

Comment

It is true that the nba is probably more phisichal now than never, and thats a really bad point for Navarro, but i have been so many times in the palau watching Navarro play, that i have to admit that if he finally goes to teh nba, probably he wont get to be ever near of a star there, but i cant assure you that he will surpirise more than one and more than two persons.

And if you remember the lates competitions like world championships, eurobaskets, you could see that he has been defended many times by nba players (ginobilli, who is much much more athletic that him couldnt stop him most of the game, delfino only could see his number, marbury couldnt follow his speed, iverson (one of the quiquest defenders of the nba), couldnt stop his shoots, pietrus only could stop him making him fouls....)

I think that the athletic point is a so very handicap for him, but i think that in shooting, speed and "smartness" he could be without problems in a nba team. ( as was said before, if dixon can be an important player....).

The problems here are two: to find a coach who trust in him and would give him some minutes (Macijauskas case is still unbelievable) and the second that his buyout is of 10 million euros and barcelona doesnt seem to want to reduce it
                  I KISS BASKET

Comment

I think Navarro's biggest problem (when talking about NBA) is that he is too small for SG position, and doesn't have enough PG skills to play as a PG... and NBA is afraid of SG's in PG's body... he'd be in NBA long time ago if it wasn't for that.

The problems here are two: to find a coach who trust in him and would give him some minutes (Macijauskas case is still unbelievable)
                    it's not the only case... in fact when talking about Saras and Macas the whole thing was very predictable considering those physical atributes missing for succeding in NBA... the fact is if you're not a tall inferior player or extremely atheltic- you won't succed in NBA.

and the second that his buyout is of 10 million euros and barcelona doesnt seem to want to reduce it
                    I like Spanish clubs more and more because of it, someone has to keep european players back in europe...
                    Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
                    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Originally posted by Matiz
                      I think Navarro's biggest problem (when talking about NBA) is that he is too small for SG position, and doesn't have enough PG skills to play as a PG... and NBA is afraid of SG's in PG's body... he'd be in NBA long time ago if it wasn't for that.
                      Yeah i agree completely with you in this point, but simply as i said before, watching him play against nba players, and winnig them, i just think that his skills with the ball will make him play some good minutes (unless his coach was a little blind, who also happens sometimes in nba)

it's not the only case... in fact when talking about Saras and Macas the whole thing was very predictable considering those physical atributes missing for succeding in NBA... the fact is if you're not a tall inferior player or extremely atheltic- you won't succed in NBA.
                      I know that is quite difficult for normal european players to get a place in a roster in nba, and macijauskas is a perfect example of that case, desmond mason, the guy who plays in mache's place in the starting 5 of NO, is the typical nba guy, very athletic, very fast, good defender and about a 35% in field goals. I just have seen macijaukas playing during 2 years in vitoria, and im sure that even with his lack of pishychal condition, he could improve every single stat of that guy if the coach would give him the same ammount of minutes. (For god`s sake, snyder, or jr smith, are playing 3 times more the minutes of macijuskas in the team....)

I like Spanish clubs more and more because of it, someone has to keep european players back in europe...
                      Jajajaja yeah i also would like a lot that all the europeans stay in euroep, the euroleague would then be the first bball competition in the world, but is understandable that if a nba team offers a player 5 times more money that in his club here......
                      I KISS BASKET

Comment

I think Juan Carlos Navarro is a star in Euroleague but its big question how he will play in NBA with strong guards

Comment

It's too early to talk about Macas, because he didn't had any chances. Saras had chances before he hit rookie wall and was 5-6 best rookie then. His physical atributes are not best but we all we know his mental atributes, passing and shooting.

"tall inferior player" Songaila, Kukoc
                          "extremely atheltic" Tinsley M.Jackson (both Pacers) Kerr
                          The Moon Is A SCAM(http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm)!

Comment

Originally posted by LuDux
                            "tall inferior player" Songaila, Kukoc
                            "extremely atheltic" Tinsley M.Jackson (both Pacers) Kerr
                            meaning?
                            Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
                            That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

meaning?
                              meaning that fat or slow guards can be effective, just like 6-8 PF's who can barely dunk. A lot depends on situation.
                              The Moon Is A SCAM(http://www.revisionism.nl/Moon/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm)!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information