PDA

View Full Version : FIBA World Olympic Qualifying Tournament

Pages : 1 [2]

jugoplastika
07-17-2008, 12:40 PM
How did score Kaman 20 pts in 20 mins yesterday? When happaned that, how? Maybe in a garbage-time, or New Zealand NT is too weak for him and company, or what? Lay-ups, dunks, jump-shots? Tell me somebody...
I don`t get it. It`s too much for his second game, in my opinion.

So?

planaria
07-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Markota was operated yesterday in Zagreb and Planinic had stomach sickness and therefore didn't play..

Whatīs happening there? Tiago Splitter and Alex had some kind of stomach infection and lost some practices in Greece. Rafael Araújo lost two or three practices and played just for 3 minutes against the Greece for the same reason. People says that could be salmonella.

planaria
07-17-2008, 01:01 PM
How did score Kaman 20 pts in 20 mins yesterday? When happaned that, how? Maybe in a garbage-time, or New Zealand NT is too weak for him and company, or what? Lay-ups, dunks, jump-shots? Tell me somebody...
I don`t get it. It`s too much for his second game, in my opinion.

So?

New Zelland itīs a strange team. I remember that they came here to the 2006 World Championship preparation.

Itīs seems like every player has between 1,95 and 1,98 meters. I mean they all seems to have the same height. :D

That make the job really easy for a team like Germany with at least 4 2,13 meters guy.

It was unfair Pero Cameron trying to stop Chris Kaman. Almost every Kamanīs point came from layups and freetrowns.

Dirk was unstoppable, but itīs what usually happens when there are some 1,9X meters guy trying to guard him.

Vasileios Spanoulis
07-17-2008, 05:01 PM
I am not entirely serious about the claim, but where's the contradiction? :D
Both Canada and Puerto Rico teams NBA players havent been able to make an impact. Well Germany's players are, but Novitzki is known team player, Kaman has been a positive surprise.
But I dont want to start this NBA/FIBA fight again here, so please dont answer to this as why this is happening:)

A lot of NBA players are not that good. How many times does this have to be argued here? Americans just talk BS about how any great player is in NBA and every NBA player is better than any player anywhere else and if you are in NBA you are good not in NBA you suck, etc.

I've been an NBA fan since the 80s and I can say that 100% anyone that doesn't know the NBA is MUCH weaker and worse in level than then is either full of it or has only been an NBA fan for a very short time.

The NBA is rated just about solely on its past these days. It sure the hell isn't rated based on the quality of the league anymore. In the 80s the league was a hell of a lot higher in quality than it is now.

Vasileios Spanoulis
07-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Why you people want Puerto Rico lose so badly??, all the comments to Puero Rico are negative, i hating this crap in this forum.

Maybe because Puerto Rico is part of the US? Maybe the US hate is extending to Puerto Rico also?

Straight forward
07-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Why you people want Puerto Rico lose so badly??, all the comments to Puero Rico are negative, i hating this crap in this forum.

As for me, i realy enjoyed Puerto Rico in Olympics 2004. That team was great (not that great as some other teams though)! Wild and dynamic. Maybe, people don't like the fact that Puerto Rico is playing open offensive type of BB. I have no problem with that :D

capecoasthoops
07-17-2008, 11:06 PM
will love to see germany go through

rikhardur
07-17-2008, 11:16 PM
will love to see germany go through
Same here :)

robbe
07-18-2008, 01:46 AM
Brasil plays better basketball. Germany has Dirk. I'm going with Brasil.

KWSN-Men
07-18-2008, 01:55 AM

They have Huertas ans Splitter who are marvelous players and a couple of other nice players but they have not impressed me so much thus far.

The question will be if Kaman can take some weight off Dirk's shoulders I think.

JGX
07-18-2008, 02:28 AM
#1 rule of international basketball is that Brazil is always disappointing. Germany beats them by double digits.

robbe
07-18-2008, 08:46 AM
They have Huertas ans Splitter who are marvelous players and a couple of other nice players but they have not impressed me so much thus far.

The question will be if Kaman can take some weight off Dirk's shoulders I think.
Ideed. They're not deep at all, that's the problem. They'd need Batista and Araujo to be regular contributors in order to have success. But the passing game is still way above Germanys.

#1 rule of international basketball is that Brazil is always disappointing. Germany beats them by double digits.
That has always been the case with Barbosa, Varejao (means: high expectations) on the roster, but this year with a new coach, much improved Huertas, very strong Splitter and a seemingly improved chemistry, I hope they will finally be a positive surprise for once. Expectations are rather low.

Splitter vs. Kaman will definitely be an interesting matchup.

Joško Poljak Fan
07-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Very true, improvement of Brazil is obvious if we compare them to some previous tournaments. There still are some forced uneccesary shots, but overall they're much more organised (although still have lots of roo on that department). Otherwise I think that Brazil would be a helluva team with a pure pointguard on the decent level...

Picek
07-18-2008, 11:36 AM
hell yeah 71-49 and since we are not koreans (and canada is not Turkey although Athens is quite close to Istanbul) I think I can say hell yeah..
one more game..
just one more game to go...
excellent team game yet again with all 11 players playing their role..

Richey666
07-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Damn, ugly, boring and slow Eurobasket dominating again in this FIBA tournament.

Alyosha12
07-18-2008, 01:13 PM
Damn, ugly, boring and slow Eurobasket dominating again in this FIBA tournament.

Oh FFS can you save us all the trouble of reading your post every god damn time, and just put them in a sig.

FIBA ball is slow.
FIBA ball is only a 3pt contest.
FIBA players are unathletic.
FIBA refs favour euro teams.
FIBA ball sucks.
The NBA is the ultimate league and all players there are head and shoulders better then any player not in the NBA.
FIBA should be cancled.
Euroleague is boring.
And so on and so so you don't repeat yourself with every damn post.

Alyosha12
07-18-2008, 01:36 PM
Forum meet Jaka Lakovič:
http://www.enasco.com/prod/images/products/CA/AC059095l.jpg

Alyosha12
07-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Well this game is lost, 3mins to go down by 7 and Slovenia is not clutch congrats to PR.

Picek
07-18-2008, 02:03 PM
job nicely done by the puertoricans...
congrats, well deserved victory today... defence was the key..
nice zone defence at the times and Slovenian guards totally outplayed..
Lakovič and Bečirović 7-20 combined..
no balls whatsoever..
if it wasn't for Slokar and other big mans Puerto Rico would have won with bigger margin..
Vilfan called Ramos a mascot of Puerto Rico team..
that mascot killed slovenians in last 5 minutes..

J-Mart
07-18-2008, 02:16 PM
after being eliminated in quarterfinals in 2002, 2004 and not even reaching them in 2006, I guess the core of the puertorrican NT grew some balls hehe

they just wanted it more, you could see it in their faces

great game by Slovenia, Puerto Rico hitted them with everything and they just kept coming back

Peter John is clutch, if someone called him a mascot, he is out of tone with international ball

Alyosha12
07-18-2008, 02:42 PM
after being eliminated in quarterfinals in 2002, 2004 and not even reaching them in 2006, I guess the core of the puertorrican NT grew some balls hehe

they just wanted it more, you could see it in their faces

great game by Slovenia, Puerto Rico hitted them with everything and they just kept coming back

Peter John is clutch, if someone called him a mascot, he is out of tone with international ball

Aman to that.

PRSURF
07-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Well this game is lost, 3mins to go down by 7 and Slovenia is not clutch congrats to PR.Thanks!:rolleyes:

Remon
07-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Can someone explain to me why NET isn't showing the BRA-GER game as they're supposed to?

CG
07-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Can someone explain to me why NET isn't showing the BRA-GER game as they're supposed to?

idiots maybe:D

Picek
07-18-2008, 06:10 PM
Nowitzki 6-19 from the field..
yup, definitely an NBA star :D

DanMajerle
07-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Remember last year?:p
Germany beats Brazil and qualifies for the Semifinals, will face Croatia tomorrow. Roller had a great game, 5/6 threes.

fasoulaki
07-18-2008, 06:15 PM
Germany beats Brazil and qualifies for the Semifinals, will face Croatia tomorrow. Roller had a great game, 5/6 threes.

Very difficult to make an inside game against Germany. To face them you have to rise the pressure against the german guards.The Brasilians failed to do that in the 1st half.

Picek
07-18-2008, 06:19 PM

sure, but a midget Roller won't be scoring threes like today against a bit better guards tomorrow..
and I'm glad brasilians fought till the end, this way Bauermann had to panic and put Dirky back into the game..

JGX
07-18-2008, 06:33 PM

Easiest pick of the day....Germany wins comfortably despite a mediocre performance from Dirk. Too bad internet gambling is difficult in the US :D

rikhardur
07-18-2008, 06:59 PM
Come on man I've been rooting for Germany (and Dirk) more than you have :p Good to see them going to the semis, Brazil is sadly a totally unconvincing team...

Hepcat
07-18-2008, 07:39 PM
honestly, what is the point of allowing teams like lebanon or cape verde participate in tournament with NTs from a much higher level? even romania, slovakia and iceland would look better. it's just public humiliation...

It would be "politically incorrect" not to allow teams like Lebanon and Cape Verde into the tournament. Let them therefore be massacred.

Canadian coach got into some sort of argument/fight with Dalembert and Dalembert seems to be out of the tournament.

My guess is that Leo Rautins couldn't handle anymore of Sam Dalembert's "NBA star syndrome", especially after Dalembert was so thoroughly outplayed by his opposite numbers in the Slovenia game.

How is it then that ugly, boring and slow basketball dominates? Would you recommend moving faster with a view to losing?

Juan Carlos Nadal
07-18-2008, 08:52 PM
It is sad to hear that some fans actually booed the Haka routine of the Kiwis. What a retarded way to react to someone's culture. Thumbs up to the vast majority of the (rest of the) fans however that applauded the dance at the end.

KWSN-Men
07-18-2008, 09:02 PM
I didn't see that part. Any idea which part of the fans was booing? Was it the "fanatics" with the blue t-shirts?

PS: not to discredit the Greek idiots, but the whole Italian team was offended not some many years ago :D

Juan Carlos Nadal
07-18-2008, 09:19 PM
I didn't see that part. Any idea which part of the fans was booing? Was it the "fanatics" with the blue t-shirts?

PS: not to discredit the Greek idiots, but the whole Italian team was offended not some many years ago :D

I just read about it. One thing is for the fans to get offended and another for the opposing team to do so :D If that's true then that's hilarious. Now that you mentioned it actuallyI think I recall the incident. :D

Do we have an official figure about the number of tickets sold for the Greece-NZ game? What are their prices cuz I also heard that they were rather nippy.

Edit: I actually just saw a video of the Haka routine and it's kinda unreal. Once it started one could hear loads of boos which progressively became loud applause. Apparently the healthy minded fans decided to take over and cover up the retards. Good Job. Apparently Papaloukas also made a signal to the retards to shut it. Thumps up.

Fearless
07-18-2008, 09:27 PM
I just read about it. One thing is for the fans to get offended and another for the opposing team to do so :D If that's true then that's hilarious. Now that you mentioned it actuallyI think I recall the incident. :D

Do we have an official figure about the number of tickets sold for the Greece-NZ game? What are their prices cuz I also heard that they were rather nippy.

Edit: I actually just saw a video of the Haka routine and it's kinda unreal. Once it started one could hear loads of boos which progressively became loud applause. Apparently the healthy minded fans decided to take over and cover up the retards. Good Job. Apparently Papaloukas also made a signal to the retards to shut it. Thumps up.

link to the video?

Juan Carlos Nadal
07-18-2008, 09:30 PM
link to the video?

http://www.sport.gr/default.asp?pid=69&vid=13669

Fearless
07-18-2008, 09:55 PM
http://www.sport.gr/default.asp?pid=69&vid=13669

thanks... really some retarded fans in there, but also some great ones(those who promptly muted the retarded with applauses)

Alyosha12
07-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Man the haka is so awesome lol.

Tnx for the vid.

DanMajerle
07-18-2008, 11:09 PM
Well, the Haka is some kind of war dance, so if they show this attitude towards the opponent you have to accept that the opponent's fans strike back.

Fearless
07-18-2008, 11:45 PM
Well, the Haka is some kind of war dance, so if they show this attitude towards the opponent you have to accept that the opponent's fans strike back.

Haka is not a war dance everytime, it can be performed for various reasons..

"Although the use of a haka by the All Blacks has made one type of haka familiar, it has led to misconceptions. Haka[2] are not exclusively war dances, nor are they only performed by men. Some are performed by women, others by mixed groups, and some simple haka are performed by children. Haka are performed for various reasons: for amusement, as a hearty welcome to distinguished guests, or to acknowledge great achievements or occasions (McLean 1996:46-47). War haka, which had their own term, 'peruperu', were originally performed by warriors before a battle, proclaiming their strength and prowess in order to intimidate the opposition. Today, haka constitute an integral part of formal or official welcome ceremonies for distinguished visitors or foreign dignitaries, serving to impart a sense of the importance of the occasion."

Remon
07-19-2008, 12:06 AM
Haka is not a war dance everytime, it can be performed for various reasons..

Although I don't condone the booing, the use of the Haka in these sports events is used for almost the same reason the war Haka's are used for, intimidating the opponent.

Juan Carlos Nadal
07-19-2008, 01:43 AM
Although I don't condone the booing, the use of the Haka in these sports events is used for almost the same reason the war Haka's are used for, intimidating the opponent.

Do you really think it has such a purpose? Do you really think a professional athlete would be intimidated by the Haka? Intimidation could be drawn only through the display of one's flexed muscles, the display of the loudness of one's voice and the display of one's "craziness" before a fight. In the past such displays offered the opponent a "taste" of what's coming their way. Nowadays the opponents already have a pretty good idea of these virtues through...tapes... It is just a cultural display and a gesture of respect to tradition and more of a bonding routine for the NZ team itself rather than an intimidation tool IMO.

J-Mart
07-19-2008, 01:50 AM
as far as I know, the Haka was a war dance created to intimidate the opponent, which later moved to sports and developed into a tradition in Oceania, not only New Zealand.

Juan Carlos Nadal
07-19-2008, 01:54 AM
as far as I know, the Haka was a war dance created to intimidate the opponent, which later moved to sports and developed into a tradition in Oceania, not only New Zealand.

Exactly. If you are a Maori living back in the day you might be intimidated. What are the chances of a pro athlete doing so nowadays?

J-Mart
07-19-2008, 02:03 AM
Exactly. If you are a Maori living back in the day you might be intimidated. What are the chances of a pro athlete doing so nowadays?
0%
but I still like the dance, they should make it mandatory for every FIBA team to do a traiditional dance before tip off :D

alermac
07-19-2008, 02:21 AM
The Haka, performed by Jonah Lomu and Tana Umaga, is intimidating. The same Haka, performed by Ed Book and Sean Marks, is hilarious.

they should make it mandatory for every FIBA team to do a traiditional dance before tip off :D
Salsa?

J-Mart
07-19-2008, 02:31 AM
Salsa?
I was thinking of something more primitive, like reggaeton... but salsa should do it :D

jugoplastika
07-19-2008, 08:29 AM
Splitter vs. Kaman will definitely be an interesting matchup.

I didn`t watch this game. What happened? Which one was better? :confused:

KWSN-Men
07-19-2008, 09:59 AM
The Haka, performed by Jonah Lomu and Tana Umaga, is intimidating. The same Haka, performed by Ed Book and Sean Marks, is hilarious.

Truth is it had nothing to do with this for example.

bKa5NshwzRE

bobo81
07-19-2008, 12:58 PM
I don't blame the fans for jeering NZ for that dance, it is appears pretty arrogant when doing that in front of the home team players, regardless whether it is traditional or not. Could you imagine the U.S. doing something like this? The world would dub the players terrorists :D Lebron alone hitting his chest and yelling to the crowd after a dunk is considered rude and arrogant. :rolleyes:

bobo81
07-19-2008, 12:59 PM
I was thinking of something more primitive, like reggaeton... but salsa should do it :D

Hahaha PR team grad the cheerleaders and do some perreo :D

Picek
07-19-2008, 04:22 PM
24-14 after first..
Tomas is playing great the whole tournament and today he is continuing the same..
great defence by our guards, germans don't know what to do so far..

come on guys.. three more quarters to go..

rikhardur
07-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Nowitzki with 8 points in a row puts Germany within 4.

Picek
07-19-2008, 04:36 PM
too bad panda bears are not protected like Nowitzki..
atleast then they wouldn't be disappearing from the planet...

rikhardur
07-19-2008, 04:37 PM
too bad panda bears are not protected like Nowitzki..
atleast then they wouldn't be disappearing from the planet...
Come on Picek :rolleyes: ;)

Picek
07-19-2008, 04:40 PM
Come on Picek :rolleyes: ;)come on what?
every contact on him is called foul..
every single one!
same as yesterday against Brazil..
Croatia 10 FT's, Nowitzki 11...
36-31 FT
Nowitzki almost more points from the FT line then rest of the german team combined...

rikhardur
07-19-2008, 04:44 PM
come on what?
every contact on him is called foul..
every single one!
same as yesterday against Brazil..
Croatia 10 FT's, Nowitzki 11...
If it's a foul it's a foul. Obviously he will have much more defensive pressure than any other player, hence the foul calls. I didn't see any "virtual" one up to now (I mean the game with Croatia, didn't watch the other ones).

DanMajerle
07-19-2008, 04:45 PM
Nowitzki must feel like a chop of meat, everytime he gets the ball he gets hit by some croatian defender as they can't stop him otherwise, only rarely gets called a foul, should have went to the FT line 3-4 times more. But good game by him so far, the other guys have to wake up though!
Tomas having a good game for Croatia, who are playing better till now.

Picek
07-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Nowitzki must feel like a chop of meat, everytime he gets the ball he gets hit by some croatian defender as they can't stop him otherwise, only rarely gets called a foul, should have went to the FT line 3-4 times more. I would say that we have here slighthly different oppinion.. :p :)

Captain CAAAVEMAAAAANNN!!
07-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Does the German NT actually need the Center of the LA Clippers to compete? I personally find the naturalization of Kaman an insult to Femerling, to Jagla, and, in general, to all German basketball players profesional or not.

DanMajerle
07-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Well, IMO it's Respesas tactic to take as hard on Dirk as possible, trying to exhaust him and take away his confidence. It's ok as a tactic for me, but then please don't cry about the refs.

rikhardur
07-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Croatia is taking too much forced long range shots, they don't need to do that. The game has been theirs. Germany -1.

Picek
07-19-2008, 05:23 PM
yes, this was definitely foul by Nicević on Dirky dirk..
---- this...

Juan Carlos Nadal
07-19-2008, 05:25 PM
yes, this was definitely fould by Nicević on Dirky dirk..
---- this...

Nicevic was clearly moving when Dirk fell on him. Did you see the replay? I also thought it was an offensive but the replay was crystal clear.

Bad call on the end of the 3rd Q though. Planinic was clearly fouled there.

As for the latest "jumpball" foul, I have to admit that it was a bad foul call.

rikhardur
07-19-2008, 05:27 PM
yes, this was definitely foul by Nicević on Dirky dirk..
---- this...
At least blame the refs not Dirk ;)

Picek
07-19-2008, 05:31 PM
At least blame the refs not Dirk ;)
I love to blame everyone :p

Picek
07-19-2008, 05:33 PM
up by 10..
with 3 and a half to go...
come on boys, do not lose this...

Miškinis
07-19-2008, 05:35 PM
I don't watch the game, but looking at stats it's abvious - it's not Popas day . . . pity

Picek
07-19-2008, 05:50 PM
I think we have a new oscar winner..
Hamman... :D :D
but the best team award goes to Croatia.. :D :D :D :D

Tomas in their german face...

finallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

after all these years..
after EC in Turkey, after that fucking quarterfinal in Belgrade..
finallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy..

aarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh...
ladies and gentlemen this is a perfect opportunity to get drunk..

DanMajerle
07-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Croatia win a close game. Congrats, they were the better team today, first win vs Germany after five defeats. Now Germany must hope for tomorrows game vs the loser Puerto Rico-Greece. Do-or-Die Game.

rikhardur
07-19-2008, 05:51 PM
True :rolleyes:
Congrats to Croatia, a deserved win :)

softice
07-19-2008, 05:58 PM
http://www.eurobasket.com/

1st Semi Final Game: Croatia beat the Germans and is waiting an opponent for the finals

what finals?

Srle
07-19-2008, 06:00 PM
Nowitzki is Germany thats it. Rest of German team flat out sucks. Croatia is way better. Refs almost took it from them at the end:D

softice
07-19-2008, 06:00 PM

Nice acts but i still prefer Calderon

Juan Carlos Nadal
07-19-2008, 06:02 PM
http://www.eurobasket.com/

1st Semi Final Game: Croatia beat the Germans and is waiting an opponent for the finals

what finals?

You taking seriously an article by Chris Mammides? :D (or any other eurobasket.com author for that matter)

Nice acts but i still prefer Calderon

Ditto. Hamann is an amateur compared to him. He didn't even bother to start crying...

Buducnost PG
07-19-2008, 06:07 PM
Deserved win by Croatia. Congratulations from my side. Tomas made a nice game. He improved a lot this year in Fuenlabarda and it looks like it was the right move from Real to loan him. Now he will be back and should have a good role in one of the best 8 teams in europe. IMO he was the star of the team. But for me Croatia played a very nice teambasketball. Today i especially liked that everybody from the Bigs scored and made a good job. But if they want to beat teams like Lithuania, Spain, USA, Russia, Greece and Argentina the Guards has to play better.

So after 96 Croatia is back on a WC/OI.

uhg80
07-19-2008, 06:13 PM

Yup. "Best supporting actress"

An absolutetly desrved win for the Croats. They controlled most of the game, though they struggled with Ukic/Popovic on the floor in the third quarter, when they jacked up to many outside shots. I liked Planinic/kus much better as the backcourt duo. Very good games from "raging bull" Prkacin and workhorse Banic as well.

Not much to say about Germany. Croatia didn't allow Dirk to shoot from the field, so he scored in bunches from the line, keeping his team alive. A little bit Roller, a little bit Hamann...That's all the support he got. Kaman had a bad day. He often seemed to battle gravity more than the opponent.

Now all I care about for tonight is Greece not screwing up.

ladies and gentlemen this is a perfect opportunity to get drunk..

Cheers :D

Captain CAAAVEMAAAAANNN!!
07-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Wow, awful shooting day from the Germans, they were like 10% from beyond the 3point line. They need to recover from this and start sinking threes like before. Otherwise they are in serious trouble.

EDIT- I had a look at the Stat line and they were only 4/16, which is not as bad as I thought. But watching the game live, my impression was they were just missing open three pointers all the time. Didn't watch the whole game, though.

Hepcat
07-19-2008, 07:12 PM
but I still like the dance, they should make it mandatory for every FIBA team to do a traiditional dance before tip off

Yes! I'd love to see Jason Kidd and the rest of the U.S. team break dancing to hip hop!

:D

Jan van Grabski
07-19-2008, 08:30 PM
so PR is the only non european team that has survived till the end. though they managed to loose by 20 plus points to greece. Seeing them tonight (without any spirit in the 4th quarter) I would say that Dirk will get his ticket to olympics. I hope he does....

Minotavros
07-19-2008, 08:33 PM
The best five of the turnament IMO is:

C Tiago Splitter
PF Dirk Nowitzki
SF Marko Tomas
SG Vassilis Spanoulis
PG Dimitris Diamantidis

raph
07-19-2008, 09:11 PM
Great win for croatia (and pretty glad nicevic participated to the final step) :)

Everything is posible in beijin now !

GO CROATIA ! :cool:

robbe
07-19-2008, 11:23 PM
My congrats too! I can't say it bothers me.;)

Against PR is a 50-50. Arroyo is an exciting individual player, but if injured he can be replaced by Barea, who's able to do a lot of the things Arroyo does.

JGX
07-20-2008, 02:49 AM
Nice to see Croatia back at a world tournament after a too-long absence.

Worth noting that while Kaman did not have a great game, Croatia made their two big runs in the first and fourth quarters with him on the bench.

I realize I am pushing my luck by picking Germany twice in one tournament, but I think they handle PR pretty easily tomorrow.

rikhardur
07-20-2008, 05:08 PM
HT: Germany 48 Puerto Rico 39

Picek
07-20-2008, 05:51 PM
too bad for Puerto Ricans, I was kinda hoping they would make it..
not only because they are unpredictable but because I hate German team..
probably the only team I really hate..
for me they are simply the most disgusting national team on planet..
and not only in bball but also in handball and waterpolo..

but that is just me :p

DanMajerle
07-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Hello Beijing;)

Nowitzki crying on the court, now that he has fulfilled his big dream.

rikhardur
07-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Germany is in! Great job! Germany 96 Puerto Rico 82.

softice
07-20-2008, 06:25 PM
Germany goes to group B with USA, Spain, China, Angola and ..............

And Greece!
Croatia on group A

edited: wrong group

sinobball
07-20-2008, 06:32 PM
And Croatia!
Greece on group A
Is this confirmed?

Joyrider
07-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Congrats to Germany!

I'm very happy for Nowitzki.

The groups are ready. Can someone post them?

alermac
07-20-2008, 06:38 PM
I think Barea should slow down a bit sometimes... or maybe, you know, pass the ball. XD

DanMajerle
07-20-2008, 06:39 PM
Nice, revenge vs Croatia. We do it like in football Euros, lose first game and in the end finish in front of Croatia again:D .
Nowitzki broke down in the locker room, crying, wasn't able to come to the interview.

softice
07-20-2008, 06:40 PM
Group A
Croatia
Russia
Argentina
Iran
Lithuania
Australia

Group B
Spain
Angola
USA
China
Germany
Greece

sinobball
07-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Group A
Greece
Russia
Argentina
Iran
Lithuania
Australia

Group B
Spain
Angola
USA
China
Germany
Croatiasource?

Buducnost PG
07-20-2008, 06:43 PM
source?

This groups are not true.

Croatia is in group A. Germany and Greece in group B. Source is kosarka.hr

softice
07-20-2008, 06:45 PM
Big sorry i confused guys
Buducnost is right

fasoulaki
07-20-2008, 06:45 PM
I saw the draw in TV. Greece and Germany in Group B. Croatia in Group A.

Greece plays the first game against Spain. Germany's first game is against Angola!

sinobball
07-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Very nice.

Group A
Croatia
Russia
Argentina
Iran
Lithuania
Australia

Group B
Spain
Angola
USA
China
Germany
Greece

I would say Group A is easier. Anyone disagree?

Straight forward
07-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Damn, i expected Germany in group A. I think Croatia isn't convinient opponent for Lithuania. Maybe, even Greece is more convinient if we would look at history.

Buducnost PG
07-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Very nice.

Group A
Croatia
Russia
Argentina
Iran
Lithuania
Australia

Group B
Spain
Angola
USA
China
Germany
Greece

I would say Group A is easier. Anyone disagree?

Hard to say. IMO there is not a big difference. But in group A we have a team with Iran who will have no chance. They will lose all games and that by a big margin. But with Lithuania, Argentina and Russia (if Khyrapa will play) we have 3 great teams and 2 good once with Australia and Croatia.

In group B we have also 3 great teams with USA, Spain and Greece. Germany is a good one and China and Angola can suprise and are by far better then Iran.

sinobball
07-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Obviously you know more about European bball, but Russia to me has not been a consistent world stage performer. I do remember back in 2004 everybody was ranking Serbia & Montenegro a top 3 team as they did well in pre Olympics warmups, winning the Diamond Ball and all, but they finished last in group. Also Argentina's lineup is missing a few key players. On the other hand, USA, Spain and Greece have the best lineups they could find. I also think Angola is slightly better than Australia, based on performances from 2006.

Picek
07-20-2008, 07:06 PM
quite interesting draw for us...
I can't wait for it to start..
I'll take two weeks off from work just to enjoy in the games..
from what I understand four teams from each group are advancing to quarters..
that means we need to win only one game..
game against Iran I have already calculated as won.. with all due respect to Iran..
hell even our junior team won against them by 20 pts or something like that few weeks ago..
Australia we played against but they were without Bogut and I think that from all these teams from this group they will be the toughest to beat..
for us..
it's simply their game style..
from what is going on now, I think we could win against Russia.. maybe Argentina..
but that is not important..
what will be will be..

bobo81
07-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Group B
Spain
Angola
USA
China
Germany
Greece

YEAAAAH BAABYYY!!!

http://streetknowledge.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/austin_danger_powers_mike_myers.jpg

JGX
07-20-2008, 07:07 PM
I think Group B is definitely tougher, but there are no easy groups at the Olympics. Even if Iran is subpar it will still be a battle to get into the top four in Group A.

fasoulaki
07-20-2008, 07:10 PM
I was wondering why a Greek, because the president of the brasilian basketball federation is from greek origin, so why a Greek was allowed to perform the draw allthough a greek team was involved in this draw!

c_fish
07-20-2008, 07:47 PM
I was wondering why a Greek, because the president of the brasilian basketball federation is from greek origin, so why a Greek was allowed to perform the draw allthough a greek team was involved in this draw!
Because hes not David Copperfield :D

EverGreen
07-20-2008, 08:10 PM
YEAAAAH BAABYYY!!!

http://streetknowledge.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/austin_danger_powers_mike_myers.jpg

Group B
Spain
Angola
USA
China
Germany
Greece

DEATH TO AMERICA :D

Srle
07-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Congratulation to Dirk. Its too bad he wont win any title in his life time(except if he pulled something like Garnett in NBA) Player of his calibre deserve at least one trophy.

EverGreen
07-20-2008, 09:10 PM
Congratulation to Dirk. Its too bad he wont win any title in his life time(except if he pulled something like Garnett in NBA) Player of his calibre deserve at least one trophy.

He is more than welcome to come to Panathinaikos and win as many titles he wants!! :)

wardjdim
07-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Greece joining Spain and USA in a great group doesnt mean much, since the tournament starts a bit later, in the knock out stage...

Anyway, these three teams are the best in the tournament, with Lithuania, Argentina and Russia following them with top-4 chances

PRSURF
07-20-2008, 10:26 PM
Drik is untouchable people, do you see the game vs Puerto RIco???, pufff.

Fearless
07-20-2008, 10:44 PM
Drik is untouchable people, do you see the game vs Puerto RIco???, pufff.

oh c'mon Dirk was raped all tournament..

PRSURF
07-20-2008, 11:04 PM
oh c'mon Dirk was raped all tournament..RAPED?

L8DBACK
07-20-2008, 11:47 PM
RAPED?

By WHOM?:rolleyes:

L8DBACK
07-20-2008, 11:58 PM
DEATH TO AMERICA :D

Is that you Osama??:rolleyes: :D

Fearless
07-21-2008, 12:36 AM
RAPED?

yeah no misstyping.. I've never seen any player in FIBA history defended in such a physical and "violating" manner: of course when one looks only at the stats and sees 20 ft attempted he thinks "buah.. star-treatment" but that's not the case with Dirk, he's hacked all the time.
The adjustment on Dirk must be technical not brutal, when you base your strategy on agressiveness and will of the defenders you'll get this:

a) foul trouble
b) dirk swishes his fts
c) you'll eventually let your guard down

PRSURF
07-21-2008, 12:59 AM
yeah no misstyping.. I've never seen any player in FIBA history defended in such a physical and "violating" manner: of course when one looks only at the stats and sees 20 ft attempted he thinks "buah.. star-treatment" but that's not the case with Dirk, he's hacked all the time.
The adjustment on Dirk must be technical not brutal, when you base your strategy on agressiveness and will of the defenders you'll get this:

a) foul trouble
b) dirk swishes his fts
c) you'll eventually let your guard downYo see the game today? or the game versus Brasil?, commonn

Fearless
07-21-2008, 08:44 AM
Yo see the game today? or the game versus Brasil?, commonn

I saw all the games I could catch, and you're biased, not only defense on dirk was ferocious, but there were also many non calls on Kaman in all 3 games vs brasil, croatia, puerto rico..

And1ao
07-22-2008, 07:08 PM
I think the olympic qualyfing system is bad ,because france havent got any chance to go to olympinc games but cape verde can go to olympic games ,its not fair

TheShot
07-23-2008, 12:59 AM
I think the olympic qualyfing system is bad ,because france havent got any chance to go to olympinc games but cape verde can go to olympic games ,its not fair

Maybe you should ask France to play better in international competitions. They have a lot of guard/forward talent but they can never beat the top Euro countries. And ask Tony Parker to not have ankle injuries every time a big international game comes up.

Phantim3dx
07-24-2008, 06:55 AM
hey quick question and its important and urgent i find out soon fellow IBNERS. in the olympic bracket who is team c and b in the group usa and chinas are in??!?!?!

And1ao
07-24-2008, 07:10 AM
Maybe you should ask France to play better in international competitions. They have a lot of guard/forward talent but they can never beat the top Euro countries. And ask Tony Parker to not have ankle injuries every time a big international game comes up.
u dont understand me good.it was just example.i think europe must have more teams in qualafying tour.and africa must have not so much teams in qualafying ,for example who will win europe 8th place or africa 2 place winner?answer u know. and whata f**k serbia have so big ranking in fiba ,i know that there under teams are one of the best in world ,but i think basic of ranking have to be country mens team.and serbia team are hopeless (sorry serbians:D ) but i think its true its like shadow that team who win every titles

lafa
07-24-2008, 07:56 AM
u dont understand me good.it was just example.i think europe must have more teams in qualafying tour.and africa must have not so much teams in qualafying ,for example who will win europe 8th place or africa 2 place winner?answer u know. and whata f**k serbia have so big ranking in fiba ,i know that there under teams are one of the best in world ,but i think basic of ranking have to be country mens team.and serbia team are hopeless (sorry serbians:D ) but i think its true its like shadow that team who win every titles

about more european teams in olympics - total nonsense. olympics are for the whole world, it's not open european championship. this year there'll be 6 european teams and people from other continents think it's at least two too many...

and about fiba rankings... i'm not sure about exact number, but they counting more than last 5 years, and just 6 years ago serbia won world championship. and moreover - their youth teams perform extremely well in all age groups, those are counted too.

joel23
08-01-2008, 04:30 PM
about more european teams in olympics - total nonsense. olympics are for the whole world, it's not open european championship. this year there'll be 6 european teams and people from other continents think it's at least two too many...

and about fiba rankings... i'm not sure about exact number, but they counting more than last 5 years, and just 6 years ago serbia won world championship. and moreover - their youth teams perform extremely well in all age groups, those are counted too.

Lebanon senior A is now weaker team than last year. This team already replaced 6 veteran star players to rookie players. Also without El Khatib and Vogel because of too older.

leedsunited86
08-16-2010, 12:32 AM