PDA

View Full Version : Is Slovenia the new basketball power of the Balkans?

Hepcat
09-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Has Slovenia supplanted Serbia as the basketball powerhouse of the Balkans? Or is it too early to write off the Serbs? Is Croatia still a force with which to reckon? What do you fellows think?

:confused:

Victorious
09-06-2007, 03:44 PM
Allthough I wish Slovenia the best, I think you are a little premature.
Two years ago, they also finished first in the group, but they got kicked out in the quarter finals.

rikhardur
09-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Has Slovenia supplanted Serbia as the basketball powerhouse of the Balkans? Or is it too early to write off the Serbs? Is Croatia still a force with which to reckon? What do you fellows think?

:confused:
Serbia is still a basketball power, just look at the success of the younger NTs and the talent pool they keep. The recent failures of the senior NT are not enough to consider Serbia not a powerhouse anymore, not even close imo. Slovenia has the same status as in previous years, that of a talented NT with top players. Same goes for Croatia, although the level has decreased compared to the Petrović, Rađa and Kukoč era of course.

boki
09-06-2007, 04:13 PM
Slovenia must first win some medals to be powerhouse in Europe. We have top players, we have some of the best young talents, but still...today's basketball is much more than that (team play, character, fighting, motivation,...)

Joško Poljak Fan
09-06-2007, 05:00 PM
absolutely no need for euphoria after 3 matches, 2 of them undisputably lucky ones (once for a change).
Only thing Slovenia could be called powerhouse at in europe is producing players.
As Boki said there is more than that in basketball...

Serbs are definately not to be written of, Croatia will get back on their feet sooner or later, same with BiH- they'll start producing the same talent they had before the war sooner or later, FYROMacedonia will get a push forward when one of their clubs starts playing in adriatic league and Montenegro should imo become one of the regular EC participants now when they've got their own country.
The competition in the ex-Yu isn't narrowing, it's the opposite...

legio
09-19-2007, 01:14 PM
i really would like to see one day slovenian nt with the whole roster including all nba players:rolleyes:

Joško Poljak Fan
09-19-2007, 02:50 PM
i really would like to see one day slovenian nt with the whole roster including all nba players:rolleyes:
me too :D
well I'd probably leave some NBAers out, but a complete roster is yet to be seen and tested. there always were at least 2-3 guys missing from the optional team.

We'll see what'll happen with the olympics qualifying tournament. Nesterovič already said he'd prefer the same team as it is right now, with an adition of one guard. His words can be explained as that he doesn't want some particular people in the NT at all, didn't say who are those, but it seemed pretty obvious he meant that exactly.

welcome to the site btw. ;)