• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MJ's Son Debut in the Canadian Tour

MJ's kid makes debut in Canadian tour

Jeffrey Jordan vs Carleton: 6 pts (3-4 FG, 0-1 FT), 1 stl in 19 min
    Jeffrey Jordan vs Ottawa: 2 pts (1-4 FG), 3 reb, 1 ast, 1 stl in 22 min
    Jeffrey Jordan vs Concordia: 7 pts (3-6 FG, 0-2 3PT, 1-1 FT), 3 reb, 1 ast, 1 stl, in 15 min

Concordia knocks off Illinois and Jordan's son

University basketball Jeff Jordan earned a spot with the Fighting Illini as a walk-on

Published Monday September 3rd, 2007
    Appeared on page B6
    MONTREAL - Even in defeat, the son of basketball great Michael Jordan was the centre of attention.

Freshman guard Jeff Jordan was used liberally, but his University of Illinois squad was upset 86-82 by Concordia on Sunday for its first loss in three pre-season games in Canada. The Fighting Illini end their four-game, four-day Canadian tour this afternoon at McGill.

The 600 fans who squeezed into Concordia's tiny gym, mostly to see Jordan, watched brothers Dwayne and Damian Buckley score 28 and 24 points respectively to help the home side pull off a major upset of a Division 1 NCAA team.

Jordan played 15 minutes and had seven points, three rebounds and a steal.
    "The small gym was fun -- it reminds me of high school," the 18-year-old said. "It was a good atmosphere. It was definitely a different experience from what we're used to."

At home, the Illini play in a 17,000-seat facility that is almost always sold out and may draw even more this season with the son of the former Chicago Bulls superstar on the team.

The six-foot-one guard was considered a mid-level high school prospect last season and was a walk-on (not on scholarship) player at Illinois after turning down offers from lesser universities. The psychology student got into Illinois on academic merit.

Coach Bruce Weber said he will not be a starter this year, but feels he can develop into a solid player.

"He's got a long way to go," said Weber. "He's got to find a niche and find out how hard he has to play, but that will come."

There were fears that carrying the Jordan name onto the court would be too tall a burden, but the teenager looks to be taking it in stride.

In his first game at Carleton on Friday night, he was mobbed by media but held his own after the Illini beat the defending national champion Ravens 74-72 in overtime. He saw less action as the Illini trashed Ottawa 73-56 on Saturday night.

"He'll get a lot of attention early, but over time, I think it will settle down," Weber added. "He's very level-headed. He doesn't demand attention."

Jordan said he got used to it in high school at Loyola Academy in Chicago "so it's easier to get used to it now at the college level. It hasn't been that hard so far.

"You've got to do your own thing. If you go out there with expectations, you're not going to do well, so I just try to do what I can do for my team."

Jordan's team, playing on well under 24 hours' rest, couldn't find the basket from the free throw line, where they were good on only 11 of 23 chances.

Star centre Shaun Pruitt led the team with 16 points.

Concordia, meanwhile, shot 58 per cent from the field and 77 per cent from the line despite struggling at times with the Illini's bigger players.

Illinois built a seven-point lead in the first quarter, but then Concordia and the Buckley brothers took over.

The Stingers led 78-60 midway through the fourth quarter and Jordan, who had two points up to then, was sent out for the final comeback blitz. He put a deft move on a defender to score two, then broke inside and slipped in another to help close the gap.

"I think I've been playing pretty solid," he said. "From here on, I have to keep working on my defence, my shots and just keep playing hard."

He said his father only helps him out when he asks for advice. Otherwise, "he's pretty much hands off."

Michael Jordan attended many of his sons' high school games, but did not make the trip to Canada. A younger son, Marcus, is still in high school and is considered an even better prospect than Jeff.

The Stingers mobbed one another and the fans were delirious at the final buzzer.

"This is just a stepping stone to where we want to get to in the end," said Dwayne Buckley. "It's great to beat a Division 1 school. It helps the CIS, it helps Canada, it helps everything. But our goal is still to win in Quebec and win in Canada."

Buckley was impressed with Jordan, saying he seemed to help settle the Illini down when things were tight at the end.

And after growing up a Michael Jordan fan, he admitted that "it was like a dream come true to play hard and play against the greatest player in the NBA's son.

"Who wouldn't get up for that. I just played as hard as I can, like every game."

Last edited by Lebron23; 09-05-2007, 10:26 AM. Reason: Change title

He's brother Marcus Jordan is better than him...
    But this kid has a lot of potential...

Comment

Shawn Kemp Jr. - 6'9 PF, 15-16 yrs.old Cherokee HS, Who wear a size 19 sneakers.

I think Shawn Kemp Jr. will be better than both Marcus Jordan and his brother Jeffrey. Just look at the kids potential and he is also blessed for being tall at an early age, which he inherit from his 6-10 dad the great Shawn Kemp of the Seattle Supersonics.

Comment

dang... he's tall... :P I'm 15 and im 6'2... but i can touch the rim i just cant grab the ball in one hand

Comment

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/player...playerId=27342

Anthony Mason Jr.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player...playerId=15350

Patrick Ewing Jr.

Antron Pippen (Texas A&M starting 2008-09)

Ralph Sampson III. (Minnesota 2008-09)
          aim low, score high

Comment

Former and current NBA players relatives

Several former and current NBA players have relatives playing in the US NCAA.
            who do you think who will make it big in the NBA? Here's what I know:

1. Stephen Curry (Davidson) - son of Dell Curry
            2. Jeff Jordan (Illinois) - son of Michael Jordan
            3. Klayton Korver (Drake) - brother of Kyle Korver of Utah Jazz
            4. Jeremy Pargo (Gonzaga) - brother of Jannero Pargo of New Orleans
            "There are only three kinds of mathematicians: those who can count, and those who can not."

Ana "The Hurricane" Julaton - 1st Filipino Female Boxer Double Word Champion.

Comment

these kids are really trying to emulate if not surpass the careers of their fathers.
              "There are only three kinds of mathematicians: those who can count, and those who can not."

Comment

is brandon rush the younger brother of kareem rush of the pacers?

Comment

I heard Brandon Rush once did FIVEPLE-DOUBLE(or how you call this thing)

Nice to watch young players whos fathers was legends. Of course this kids has lot of psychological pressure on them but at least they knew that they will become a basketball players even before they were born. And they got best teachers

Just please, GOD, don't let Stephon Marbury's kids became a basketball players! We don't need more loosers! Please turn them into hot girls - so they couln'd play bball

Comment

Working...
                  X

Debug Information