PDA

View Full Version : FIBA 2017 AmeriCup!

Hepcat
08-05-2017, 05:51 PM
So I see that the FIBA 2017 AmeriCup will tip-off on August 25th. It will be contested in the cities of Medellin of Columbia, Montevideo of Uruguay, and Bahia Blanca and Cordoba of Argentina.

The drawing of the groups for the preliminary round went as follows:

GROUP A - Medellin

Brazil
Puerto Rico
Mexico
Columbia

GROUP B - Bahia Blanca

Virgin Islands
Argentina
Venezuela
Canada

GROUP C - Montevideo

Dominican Republic
USA
Panama
Uruguay

:)

Hepcat
08-05-2017, 06:01 PM
I've not seen any coverage of this event yet in the local press. The only thing I "know" about Canada's team is that tryouts will be held in Toronto in mid-August. This in my opinion is cutting it too close to the tournament for team building purposes.

Nonetheless I hope to see the Scrubb brothers or any other players who once attended a Canadian university end up on the team.

:D

locdogjr
08-06-2017, 12:09 AM
Teams won't send proper squads and the tournament really holds no meaning

Dtown
08-06-2017, 06:26 PM
The tournament was always a glorified qualification tournament, and now it's no longer even that.

locdogjr
08-07-2017, 02:07 AM
The tournament was always a glorified qualification tournament, and now it's no longer even that.

Yuuupppp.....

If I could stream it for free i still would, but won't be paying for it. Teams will just use this tournament to get their second and third tier squads without NBA players ready to compete in this new qualifying format.....

Hepcat
08-07-2017, 01:29 PM
While all that may be so, there won't be any asterisk beside the tournament in the record books. Accordingly in five to ten years time all anyone will see is the medal winners, and that's all anyone will care about. Therefore I'd still like to see Canada get the Gold.

;)

mojo13
08-07-2017, 04:41 PM
Prelim rosters are starting to surface.

I took a look at Mexico's preliminary list. Looks like a pretty solid squad. All their primary players are there (Gutierrez, Hernandez, Mota, Cruz, Stoll). Seems they are taking this tournament pretty seriously.

Brazil's list is almost entirely made up of young guys, including guys like Bruno Caboclo and George de Paula. Seems they're looking at it as more of a development opportunity.

Puerto Rico has a couple of familiar names (including Shabazz Napier - when did he start playing for PR?), but not too many I recognize. They also had a bunch of guys near the end of their careers the last few tournaments though, with guys like Arroyo, Balkman and Barea, so maybe it's a youth movement more by necessity than design.

No announcement with Canada yet but we expect it to be a team of lower level Pro's and maybe some youth sprinkled in (CIS, RJ Barrett etc.).-We are trying to keep track of the possible player pool for the WC qualification on the RealGM Raptors Board (Look for the Team Canada Basketball thread).

Here is what we are thinking might be available (assuming the AmeriCup would use this pool too, but who knows if they add some EuroLeague or NBA guys).

Canada's Potential Player Pool for FIBA AmeriCup and WC Qualification Games
This list is focusing on Pro players - Canada Basketball has stated that some CIS guys and younger prospects might be involved as well.

Probably's: (Signed with teams where they officially wont be restricted to play, or FAs that most likely don't sign with restricted teams ie: Euroleague/NBA.

Jermaine Anderson (PG) FA Last season in France
Junior Caduogan (PG) last season in NBL
Duane Notice (PG) FA Last season in NCAA
Olivier Hanlan (PG/SG) FA? last season signed in France. FIBA Champions League team

Justin Edwards (SG) FA? last season in Hungary
Devoe Joseph (SG) FA? last season in Venezuela
Andy Rautins (SG) FA? last season in Turkey
Jason Calliste (SG FA? last season in D-League
Brady Heslip (SG) signed in Turkey
Daniel Mullins (SG) FA? last season in Finland

Dyshawn Pierre (SF) signed in Italy. FIBA Champions League team
Jermaine Bucknor (SF) FA? last season in Germany/Argentina
Thomas Scrubb (SF) signed in Italy. FIBA Champions League team
Jevohn Shepperd (SF) FA. signed in France FIBA Champions League team
Kris Joseph (SF) FA? last season in Italy

Olu Ashaolu (PF) FA? Last season in Japan
Kyle Landry (PF) FA Last season in Russia
Chris Boucher (PF/C) signed a two way for G-League
Owen Klassen (PF/C) signed in Greece
Jordan Bachynski (C) signed in Japan
Rob Sacre (C) signed in Japan
Sim Bhullar (C) Parts unknown, weight unknown....last season in Taiwan and China 2nd Division.

Maybe's: (have the potential to be with teams that won't release them)
Xavier Rathan Maynes (PG) FA - has a NYK camp invite
Phil Scrubb (PG/SG) FA. Last year in Germany.
Dylan Ennis (PG/SG) citizenship - tied to Jamaica? Signed in Serbia.
Carl English (SG) FA? Maybe retired from National Team?
Naz Long (SG) FA - citizenship, may play for Greece
RJ Barrett (SG/SF) Highschool. He is good enough for this team and obviously has tight ties with the program. I could see him taking a break from Monteverde and playing.
Andrew Nicholson (PF) - FA. Last year in NBA
Melvin Ejim (PF) Signed in Russia. EuroCup team - unknown if he will be released
Anthony Bennett (PF/C) FA. Last year in NBA/Euroleague
Joel Anthony (C) FA - Retired? Last year in NBA

Probably Not's:
Kyle Wilter (PF) FA Last year in NBA/D-League. Strong rumors tying him to Baskonia (EuroLeague team)
Dillon Brooks (SF/PF) - Signed with Grizzlies. A chance he will be in the G-league, but doubtful.
Khem Birch (PF/C) Signed with Magic. Non-guaranteed deal. Could be cut or sent to G-League
Trey Lyles (PF) Traded to Denver. A chance he will be in the G-League (lots of PFs on Denver roster)

No's: NBA won't release players in conflict windows, neither will Euroleague. We might get them for the summer series'
All NBA guys.
Kevin Pangos (PG) Euroleague
Aaron Doornekamp (SF/PF) Euroleague
Stefan Jankovic (PF) Euroeague - said he wants to play for Serbia
Myck Kabongo (PG) last season Mexico? NBL? Playing for DR Congo in FIBA Afrobasket.

tres equis
08-07-2017, 04:43 PM
Teams won't send proper squads and the tournament really holds no meaning

Well....this tournament qualifies 7 teams for the panamerican games....it has some meaning....¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tres equis
08-07-2017, 05:04 PM
Puerto Rico has a couple of familiar names (including Shabazz Napier - when did he start playing for PR?), but not too many I recognize. They also had a bunch of guys near the end of their careers the last few tournaments though, with guys like Arroyo, Balkman and Barea, so maybe it's a youth movement more by necessity than design.

He has yet to play for Puerto rico, and portland did not allow him to play this summer, he has shown interest in playing in future tournaments. His mom is puerto rican so that's why he is eligible to play for PR.

Mojado
08-08-2017, 09:57 AM
Mexico's coach Valdeomillos works currently with these 18 players.

Jorge Gutiérrez, Trabszonspor (TUR)
Paul Stoll, Unics Kazan (RUS)
Alex Pérez, San Lorenzo (ARG)
Pedro Meza, Soles de Mexicali (MEX)
Diego Willis, Canarias (ESP)
Myron Molina, Academia Conade (MEX)
Francisco Cruz, Fuenlabrada (ESP)
Josué Lara, St. Augustine High School (USA)
Gabriel Girón, Fuerza Regia (MEX)
Juan Toscano, Fuerza Regia (MEX)
Jorge de la Serna, Academia Conade (MEX)
Héctor Hernández, Fuerza Regia (MEX)
Antonio Álvarez, Canarias (ESP)
Edgar Garibay, Guaiqueríes de Margarita (VEN)
Irwin Ávalos, Santos de San Luis Potosí (MEX)
Lorenzo Mata, Toros de Nuevo Laredo (MEX)
Israel Gutiérrez, Argentino de Junín (ARG)
Fernando Benítez, Panteras de Aguascalientes (MEX)

All bold-marked players should make the team...

mojo13
08-08-2017, 08:29 PM
Venezuela announce 15-player preliminary list for FIBA AmeriCup title defense

Angel Blanco
Harol Cazorla
Heissler Guillent
Gregory Vargas
Pedro Chourio
John Cox
César García
José Materán
José Vargas
Anthony Pérez
José Bravo
Miguel Ruiz
Luis Carrillo
Néstor Colmenares
Windi Graterol

http://www.fiba.com/americup/2017/news/venezuela-announces-15-player-preliminary-list-for-fiba-americup-title-defense

And Columbia

http://www.fiba.com/americup/2017/news/colombia-with-16-man-squad-for-americup

And USA confirming it will be using G-League players (this will be interesting)
http://www.fiba.com/americup/2017/news/usa-start-training-camp-for-americup-on-august-17
Camp starts Aug 17

tres equis
08-08-2017, 08:37 PM
USA starting camp on august 17?, that's kind of late.

mojo13
08-08-2017, 09:39 PM
USA starting camp on august 17?, that's kind of late.

I am sure that the AmeriCup is part of training camp for the USA.
They like Canada, probably aren't even close to knowing who will be there yet. For Canada all we know is:

"The FIBA Men's AmeriCup 2017 will help prepare our men's national team to compete in the new FIBA competition structure. This team will be fielded with professional players from overseas and potentially USports (Canadian university system) athletes. Tryouts and training to take place in Toronto in mid-August."

The USA squad is going to be quite interesting....

usagre
08-08-2017, 09:48 PM
I am very surprised that USA basketball is even participating in this meaningless tournament. They didn't send a team the previous two Americas tournaments in 2013 and 2009 in which nothing was at stake. If I had to guess now that this tournament will not serve as an Olympic qualifier they probably won't send a team again.

The only purpose I can see this tournament serving the USA going forward is that considering similar type of players will participate in the upcoming qualification for the Fiba World Cup in 2019 it might be a chance for a group of players to gain some experience and cohesion as unit. Same thing for next tournament in 2021 and corresponding qualifying for 2023 World Cup.
But then again with about 7 teams making it from the region they could pretty much send any combination out there and qualify.

mojo13
08-08-2017, 10:49 PM
I am very surprised that USA basketball is even participating in this meaningless tournament. They didn't send a team the previous two Americas tournaments in 2013 and 2009 in which nothing was at stake. If I had to guess now that this tournament will not serve as an Olympic qualifier they probably won't send a team again.

The only purpose I can see this tournament serving the USA going forward is that considering similar type of players will participate in the upcoming qualification for the Fiba World Cup in 2019 it might be a chance for a group of players to gain some experience and cohesion as unit. Same thing for next tournament in 2021 and corresponding qualifying for 2023 World Cup.
But then again with about 7 teams making it from the region they could pretty much send any combination out there and qualify.

USA Basketball has pretty much publicly stated this is their intent for participating.
which is pretty much the same for everyone else.

Steadysoul
08-09-2017, 03:06 AM

Because they have to. The only way to qualify for the World Qualifiers is the participate in the Zone Cups. Which means you can't skip them anymore.

usagre
08-09-2017, 05:14 PM
Eurobasket has a long illustrious history and can survive and stand on its own without automatic qualifiers to world events attached. This tournament has no prestige or history and in my opinion will become obsolete and dissapear sooner than people think. Other than serving for Olympic qualifiers it means nothing. The last time an American title had any juice was the old Pan American games up until 1991. Until that point it was second in prestige to the Usa only behind the Olympics and ahead of the World Championships. You'll never see that again.

Steadysoul
08-09-2017, 06:41 PM
Eurobasket has a long illustrious history and can survive and stand on its own without automatic qualifiers to world events attached. This tournament has no prestige or history and in my opinion will become obsolete and dissapear sooner than people think. Other than serving for Olympic qualifiers it means nothing. The last time an American title had any juice was the old Pan American games up until 1991. Until that point it was second in prestige to the Usa only behind the Olympics and ahead of the World Championships. You'll never see that again.

As long as they tie participation in them to other bigger events they're not going away anytime soon. That's why Brazil wanted to make sure they could compete. Missing it would lock them out of everything until after 2020.
It's less important than before but still required. Which seems like a long road to travel to force Team USA to send a team again.

MottoMonku
08-10-2017, 05:17 PM

I think USA didnt participate because they didnt have to. IIRC it used to be that the team that won the olympics was automatically qualified to the world cup, and the team that won the world cup automatically qualified to the olympics.

usagre
08-10-2017, 05:27 PM
Yeah you're right. But my main point is that this year's tournament and going forward will be the first time that this tournament since its inception in 1980 will have no qualification attached. So basically the only meaning in theory is to determine the champion of the Americas. That can fly in Eurobasket but with the USA not sending anything resembling a top team the title will be hollow. The Pan American games in 1991 and prior to always had legitimacy because the USA sent
top collegiate players. So for example Brazil who won it in '87 or Puerto Rico in '91 can make a legitimate claim as champion of the Americas since under the rules of the day they beat a top USA team. This tournament will crown a hollow meaningless champion.

MottoMonku
08-10-2017, 05:33 PM
Yes, I see your point. Let's see how the new format pans out and what teams the countries will be able to assemble for the windows.

Steadysoul
08-12-2017, 08:58 PM
Yeah you're right. But my main point is that this year's tournament and going forward will be the first time that this tournament since its inception in 1980 will have no qualification attached. So basically the only meaning in theory is to determine the champion of the Americas. That can fly in Eurobasket but with the USA not sending anything resembling a top team the title will be hollow. The Pan American games in 1991 and prior to always had legitimacy because the USA sent
top collegiate players. So for example Brazil who won it in '87 or Puerto Rico in '91 can make a legitimate claim as champion of the Americas since under the rules of the day they beat a top USA team. This tournament will crown a hollow meaningless champion.

Qualifications are still attached. You qualify by just being there. Winning doesn't mean anything. Like how the Oceania Championship for the World Cup was set up. A series of expedition games really.

Hepcat
08-14-2017, 03:14 PM
The last time an American title had any juice was the old Pan American games up until 1991. Until that point it was second in prestige to the Usa only behind the Olympics and ahead of the World Championships. You'll never see that again.

The Pan American games in 1991 and prior to always had legitimacy because the USA sent top collegiate players. So for example Brazil who won it in '87 or Puerto Rico in '91 can make a legitimate claim as champion of the Americas since under the rules of the day they beat a top USA team.

My brother-in-law was the back-up center for the Canadian team at the 1967 PanAm games. Unfortunately the Canadian team lost to Argentina, Brazil, Cuba and Mexico and finished last in its preliminary group of five. As a result it did not make the playoffs and my brother-in-law is still disappointed that he never got to play against the U.S. team which included future Hall of Famers Walt Frazier and Earl "The Pearl" Monroe.

:(

The Canadian team salvaged some pride that year though by finishing ahead of Columbia in the final standings.... Still I think just making Canada's national team was and is an incredible accomplishment for any player.

;)

CKR13
08-15-2017, 12:31 AM
USA Training Camp roster for AmeriCup
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2017/08/americup-invitees.aspx

carlo
08-15-2017, 06:33 AM
My brother-in-law was the back-up center for the Canadian team at the 1967 PanAm games. Unfortunately the Canadian team lost to Argentina, Brazil, Cuba and Mexico and finished last in its preliminary group of five. As a result it did not make the playoffs and my brother-in-law is still disappointed that he never got to play against the U.S. team which included future Hall of Famers Walt Frazier and Earl "The Pearl" Monroe.

The Canadian team salvaged some pride that year though by finishing ahead of Columbia in the final standings.... Still I think just making Canada's national team was and is an incredible accomplishment for any player.

;)

Sounds interesting, do you have more details on that Canadian team?

Concerning the US team, just to point out that neither Monroe nor Frazier did participate. Despite being the top scorer at the trials Monroe was cut and Frazier wasn't invited. However, US team resulted quite strong, loaded with such future pro stars like Wes Unseld, JoJo White and Darel Carrier.
https://www.usab.com/history/pan-am-mens/fifth-pan-american-games-1967.aspx
http://www.interbasket.net/forums/showthread.php?38937-1967-Earl-quot-The-Pearl-quot-Monroe-and-Winston-Salem-State-Rams&p=1108391&viewfull=1#post1108391

Hepcat
08-15-2017, 02:53 PM
Concerning the US team, just to point out that neither Monroe nor Frazier did participate. Despite being the top scorer at the trials Monroe was cut and Frazier wasn't invited.

Well then I guess my brother-in-law Doug doesn't need to feel so disappointed after all! :D

However, US team resulted quite strong, loaded with such future pro stars like Wes Unseld, JoJo White and Darel Carrier.

https://www.usab.com/history/pan-am-mens/fifth-pan-american-games-1967.aspx

http://www.interbasket.net/forums/showthread.php?38937-1967-Earl-quot-The-Pearl-quot-Monroe-and-Winston-Salem-State-Rams&p=1108391&viewfull=1#post1108391

To be fair to Doug though he probably said Wesley Unseld whom I confounded with Earl Monroe because the two were teammates on the great 1970-71 Baltimore Bullets team.

I'll see what more I can learn about that team, but it included now Canadian Basketball Hall of Fame member Barry Howson:

Barry Howson (http://londonsportshalloffame.com/inductees/barry-howson/)

Doug played for the Beck Spartans high school basketball team with Barry Howson for a year. They also played together on other London area men's basketball teams including the Sarnia Drawbridge Inn Knights which won the Gold at the Canada Winter Games in 1967. Interesting as well that Barry Howson was an incredible all around athlete. He played Senior Intercounty baseball (Ontario's top league) with the St.Thomas Elgins in the 1960’s.

Barry also played football with the London Lords of the Senior Ontario Rugby Football Union which was one level below the CFL at the time and served as a farm league. Doug himself was offered a contract by the Ottawa Rough Riders of the CFL in 1961. The Rough Riders liked Doug's 6'5 1/2" height and wanted him to eventually replace Canadian Football HOF member Kaye Vaughan on the defensive line. Their plan was for Doug to add about 60 pounds to his 220 pound frame. Doug didn't much like that idea though and he preferred basketball anyway. He turned down the Rough Riders' not entirely generous offer. Doug still works out at the YMCA every day and is a very strong and fit 230 pounds or so. Unfortunately decades of playing basketball and jogging on pavement have left his knees shot and he's had knee replacement surgery.

mojo13
08-15-2017, 07:28 PM
USA announce 16-man preliminary squad ahead of AmeriCup
http://www.fiba.basketball/americup/2017/news/usa-announce-16-strong-preliminary-squad-ahead-of-americup

Mostly G-league players, plus three foreign pros and a couple NBAers (Marshall Plumlee and Darrun Hilliard - at least they were in the NBA last season).

No news on Canada's roster. Tick tock...

USA 16-player preliminary squad for FIBA AmeriCup 2017
Billy Baron
Rod Benson
Alec Brown
Larry Drew II
Reggie Hearn
Darrun Hilliard
Jonathan Holmes
Ra'Shad James
Kendall Marshall
Darius Morris
Xavier Munford
Marshall Plumlee
Jameel Warney
CJ Williams
Reggie Williams
Derek Willis

Not too bad considering the circumstances.
Seven of the players expected at training camp have experience of playing regular season games in the NBA. They are Larry Drew, Darrun Hilliard, Kendall Marshall, Darius Morris, Xavier Munford, Marshall Plumlee and Reggie Williams.

This lists their most recent clubs:
https://www.usab.com/mens/americup/roster.aspx

tres equis
08-16-2017, 12:11 AM
Panama 12-player list for the FIBA AmeriCup 2017.

http://www.fiba.basketball/americup/2017/news/returning-levy-will-lead-panama-at-the-fiba-americup-2017

JGX
08-16-2017, 01:57 AM
Panama 12-player list for the FIBA AmeriCup 2017.

http://www.fiba.basketball/americup/2017/news/returning-levy-will-lead-panama-at-the-fiba-americup-2017

Looks like they've finally shed some of the old guys. No Akil Mitchell, who only played a few games in the D-League after his nasty eye injury (http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/nbl-import-akil-mitchell-returns-to-us-for-eye-treatment-after-horrific-injury-20170206-gu701e.html) in the NBL last year.

Hepcat
08-16-2017, 03:17 PM
To be fair to Doug though he probably said Wesley Unseld whom I confounded with Earl Monroe because the two were teammates on the great 1970-71 Baltimore Bullets team.

When I talked to Doug about that U.S. team this morning, the two players he mentioned were Wes Unseld and Jo Jo White.

Doug said the Canadian team was competitive in all the games it played, but ended up on the wrong end of the score every time. Here are the names of some of the players:

Bob Croft (who played in the ABA in 1970-71)
Barry Howson
Bob Inglis
John Cook
Bob Burrows
Dave Murphy
Fred Ingladson
Gene Rizak
Robin Fry
Doug Shaver

:)

Mojado
08-17-2017, 02:05 PM
These are the final 12 for Mexico:
Gabriel Girón
Jorge Gutiérrez
Lorenzo Mata
Alex Pérez
Diego Willis
Israel Gutiérrez
Juan Toscano
Fernando Benítez
Héctor Hernández
Edgar Garibay
Francisco Cruz
Irwin Ávalos

mojo13
08-17-2017, 04:13 PM
These are the final 12 for Mexico:
Gabriel Girón
Jorge Gutiérrez
Lorenzo Mata
Alex Pérez
Diego Willis
Israel Gutiérrez
Juan Toscano
Fernando Benítez
Héctor Hernández
Edgar Garibay
Francisco Cruz
Irwin Ávalos

A list of names is nice, but tell us what you think of this team. Best players? Strengths/weakness?

mojo13
08-17-2017, 08:54 PM
Prelim rosters are starting to surface.

I took a look at Mexico's preliminary list. Looks like a pretty solid squad. All their primary players are there (Gutierrez, Hernandez, Mota, Cruz, Stoll). Seems they are taking this tournament pretty seriously.

Brazil's list is almost entirely made up of young guys, including guys like Bruno Caboclo and George de Paula. Seems they're looking at it as more of a development opportunity.

No announcement with Canada yet but we expect it to be a team of lower level Pro's and maybe some youth sprinkled in (CIS, RJ Barrett etc.).-We are trying to keep track of the possible player pool for the WC qualification on the RealGM Raptors Board (Look for the Team Canada Basketball thread).

Here is what we are thinking might be available (assuming the AmeriCup would use this pool too, but who knows if they add some EuroLeague or NBA guys).

Canada's Potential Player Pool for FIBA AmeriCup and WC Qualification Games
This list is focusing on Pro players - Canada Basketball has stated that some CIS guys and younger prospects might be involved as well.

Probably's: (Signed with teams where they officially wont be restricted to play, or FAs that most likely don't sign with restricted teams ie: Euroleague/NBA.

Jermaine Anderson (PG) FA Last season in France
Junior Caduogan (PG) last season in NBL
Duane Notice (PG) FA Last season in NCAA
Olivier Hanlan (PG/SG) FA? last season signed in France. FIBA Champions League team

Justin Edwards (SG) FA? last season in Hungary
Devoe Joseph (SG) FA? last season in Venezuela
Andy Rautins (SG) FA? last season in Turkey
Jason Calliste (SG FA? last season in D-League
Brady Heslip (SG) signed in Turkey
Daniel Mullins (SG) FA? last season in Finland

Dyshawn Pierre (SF) signed in Italy. FIBA Champions League team
Jermaine Bucknor (SF) FA? last season in Germany/Argentina
Thomas Scrubb (SF) signed in Italy. FIBA Champions League team
Jevohn Shepperd (SF) FA. signed in France FIBA Champions League team
Kris Joseph (SF) FA? last season in Italy

Olu Ashaolu (PF) FA? Last season in Japan
Kyle Landry (PF) FA Last season in Russia
Chris Boucher (PF/C) signed a two way for G-League
Owen Klassen (PF/C) signed in Greece
Jordan Bachynski (C) signed in Japan
Rob Sacre (C) signed in Japan
Sim Bhullar (C) Parts unknown, weight unknown....last season in Taiwan and China 2nd Division.

Maybe's: (have the potential to be with teams that won't release them)
Xavier Rathan Maynes (PG) FA - has a NYK camp invite
Phil Scrubb (PG/SG) FA. Last year in Germany.
Dylan Ennis (PG/SG) citizenship - tied to Jamaica? Signed in Serbia.
Carl English (SG) FA? Maybe retired from National Team?
Naz Long (SG) FA - citizenship, may play for Greece
RJ Barrett (SG/SF) Highschool. He is good enough for this team and obviously has tight ties with the program. I could see him taking a break from Monteverde and playing.
Andrew Nicholson (PF) - FA. Last year in NBA
Melvin Ejim (PF) Signed in Russia. EuroCup team - unknown if he will be released
Anthony Bennett (PF/C) FA. Last year in NBA/Euroleague
Joel Anthony (C) FA - Retired? Last year in NBA

Probably Not's:
Kyle Wilter (PF) FA Last year in NBA/D-League. Strong rumors tying him to Baskonia (EuroLeague team)
Dillon Brooks (SF/PF) - Signed with Grizzlies. A chance he will be in the G-league, but doubtful.
Khem Birch (PF/C) Signed with Magic. Non-guaranteed deal. Could be cut or sent to G-League
Trey Lyles (PF) Traded to Denver. A chance he will be in the G-League (lots of PFs on Denver roster)

No's: NBA won't release players in conflict windows, neither will Euroleague. We might get them for the summer series'
All NBA guys.
Kevin Pangos (PG) Euroleague
Aaron Doornekamp (SF/PF) Euroleague
Stefan Jankovic (PF) Euroeague - said he wants to play for Serbia
Myck Kabongo (PG) last season Mexico? NBL? Playing for DR Congo in FIBA Afrobasket.

Canada's training camp roster has finally been announced:
http://www.basketball.ca/en/news-article/18-athletes-selected-to-attend-senior-mens-training-and-selectio

Jermaine Anderson
Guard
6'2
Toronto, ON
Chalons-Reims (France)

Brady Heslip
Guard
6'2
Oakville, ON
Raptors 905 (G-League)

Nazareth Mitrou-Long
Guard
6'4
Mississauga, ON
Iowa State (NCAA)

Dyshawn Pierre
Small Forward
6'6
Whitby, ON
Banco di Srd (Italy)

Murphy Burnatowski
Power Forward
6'7
Kitchener, ON
Fribourg (Switzerland)

Joel Anthony
Centre
6'9
Montreal, QC
San Antonio Spurs (NBA)

Ammanuel Diressa
Guard
6'5
Toronto, ON
Ryerson University (U SPORTS)

Warren Ward
Guard
6'5
London, ON
Windsor Express (NBL)

Daniel Mullings
Guard
6'3
Toronto, ON
Kataja Basket (Finland)

Olivier Hanlan
Guard
6'4
Gatineau, QC
Le Mans (France)

Ransford Brempong
Power Forward
6'8
Brampton, ON
SB Battle (USA)

Xavier Rathan-Mayes
Guard
6'4
Scarborough, ON
Florida State (NCAA)

Junior Cadougan
Guard
6'2
Toronto, ON
London Lightning (NBL)

Justin Edwards
Guard
6'3
Scarborough, ON
Betaland Cdo (Italy)

Richard Amardi
Forward
6'9
Toronto, ON
Niagara River Lions (NBL)

Grandy Glaze
Forward
6'7
Toronto, ON
Caballeros de Culiacan (Mexico)

Joel Friesen
Guard
6'4
Abbotsford, BC
London Lightning (NBL)

Andrew Nicholson
Power Forward
6'9
Mississauga, ON
Washington Wizards /
Brooklyn Nets (NBA)

A decent list considering what a mess FIBA has made.
A solid group of athletic guards but fairly lacking depth up front. Andrew Nicholson will be very important here.

I suspect the top group is going to be:
Xavier Rathan Maynes (PG)
Olvier Hanlan (SG/PG)
Dyshwan Pierre (SF/PF)
Andrew Nicholson (PF/C)
Joel Anthony (C)

Jermaine Anderson (PG)
Justin Edwards (SG)
Daniel Mullings (SG/SF)
Brady Heslip (SG)
Naz Long (SG)
Murphy Burnatowski (PF)
Richard Amardi (PF/C)

We are going to need to run with three guards often.

tres equis
08-17-2017, 11:34 PM
Virgin Islands confirmed roster for FIBA AmeriCup

http://www.fiba.basketball/americup/2017/news/virgin-islands-confirmed-roster-for-fiba-americup

Brasil 12 player roster for the Americup

http://www.basquetplus.com/articulo/brasil-defini%C3%B3-su-lista-definitiva-de-12-jugadores-para-la-americup

Bruno Caboclo is finally going to play his first tournament with brasil.

Hepcat
08-18-2017, 01:42 PM
Canada's training camp roster has finally been announced:

http://www.basketball.ca/en/news-article/18-athletes-selected-to-attend-senior-mens-training-and-selectio

Warren Ward
Guard
6'5
London, ON
Windsor Express (NBL)

Junior Cadougan
Guard
6'2
Toronto, ON
London Lightning (NBL)

Richard Amardi
Forward
6'9
Toronto, ON

Joel Friesen
Guard
6'4
Abbotsford, BC
London Lightning (NBL)

Yay! I like seeing those National Basketball League of Canada players on the list. Hopefully some or all of them make the final roster.

I keep wondering how the London Lightning, the NBL champions, would do in the EuroCup competition. I suspect the team would be near or at the bottom of the Euroleague, but it might be quite competitive in EuroCup games.

:confused:

JGX
08-20-2017, 05:28 PM
In the first day of the "Super 4" tournament, Argentina beat Colombia 78-59, while Uruguay edged Brazil 69-63. Looks like Jayson Granger is playing for Uruguay for the first time in a while.

tres equis
08-21-2017, 07:47 PM
Puerto rico team for the Americup.

Jorge Bryan Diaz (C, 6'11" BSN, 27 yrs old), Tyler Davis (C, 6'10" Texas A&M, 20 yrs old)

Carlos "Yao" Lopez (PF/C, 6'11" BSN, 27 yrs old) Gilberto Clavell (PF/SF, 6'7" BSN, 28 yrs old) Chris Gaston (PF/SF, 6'5" BSN, 28 yrs old)

Chris Ortiz (SF, 6'8" BSN, 24 yrs old) Emmy Andujar (SF/SG, 6'6" BSN, 25 yrs old) Juan Ramón Rivas (SF/PF, 6'9" North Georgia, 22 yrs old)

Mike Rosario (SG, 6'3" BSN, 26 yrs old)

Carlos Rivera (PG, 6'3" BSN, 34 yrs old) Alex Abreu (PG, 5'10" BSN, 26 yrs old) Angel Rodriguez (PG, 5'11" Maccabi Haifa, 24 yrs old)

6 players debuting with the national team. Davis, Gaston, Ortiz, Andujar, Rivas(Son of former player Ramon Rivas), and Rodriguez. The mayority of the players are from our local league, two college players and only one who played in europe.

Players to watch?

Tyler Davis
The future of the team in the center position, i hope this experience helps him grow when he comes back to his college team.

Juan Ramon Rivas JR
Son of Ramon Rivas, i'm curious to see what he can do at this stage.

Angel Rodriguez
Another player i'm looking forward to see, i think he's going to take the place of barea when he retires, hoping to see him getting good minutes in this tournament.

Strengths?
A lot of good defensive hard working players.

Weakness?
SCORING!!!!, who's going to shoot the ball?, for the first time we are lacking a natural scorer, they would need to play as a team if they want to move to the next round, everyone needs to contribute offensively.

https://www.elnuevodia.com/deportes/baloncesto/nota/muchajuventudenelequiponacionaldebaloncestomasculi no-2350947/

Update:Alex abreu in, Denis clemente out.

CKR13
08-21-2017, 11:23 PM
From USAB's Twitter

https://twitter.com/usabasketball/status/899772281240526848
https://twitter.com/usabasketball/status/899772553622724608

USA AmeriCup Squad

Billy Baron
Alec Brown
Larry Drew
Reggie Hearn
Darrun Hilliard
Jonathan Holmes
Kendall Marshall
Xavier Munford
Marshall Plumlee
Jameel Warney
Reggie Williams
CJ Williams

Dtown
08-22-2017, 12:20 AM
If nothing else this tournament will be very good insight into how some of these teams will look in the qualifiers. A good tournament result means less to worry about.

JGX
08-22-2017, 04:11 AM
Decent US squad given the circumstances. I wonder how many of these guys will actually be available for the qualifiers. Plumlee just got a training camp invite from the Clippers and the other younger players will probably have a chance to make an NBA team too.

carlo
08-22-2017, 02:23 PM
Argentina roster announced:
http://www.cabb.com.ar/estos-son-los-12-jugadores-que-representaran-a-la-argentina-en-la-americup/

Last cuts were Eric Flor, José Vildoza, Roberto Acuña and Daniel Amigo.

mojo13
08-22-2017, 04:39 PM
In the first day of the "Super 4" tournament, Argentina beat Colombia 78-59, while Uruguay edged Brazil 69-63. Looks like Jayson Granger is playing for Uruguay for the first time in a while.

ARG is looking strong in their warm up games.
http://www.cabb.com.ar/estos-son-los-12-jugadores-que-representaran-a-la-argentina-en-la-americup/
Is seems a near full squad with a number of guys who may not be available in the WC Qualifers (Scola, Campazzo, Vildoza and Brussino?). I guess they are going for Gold with it being on home turf.

Them and USA the favorites?

Mexico, Canada, and maybe Brazil a step down? Mexico seemingly has most of their core and should be good. Canada is an unknown, but there is definitely some talent on that roster. Not sure if is enough to overcome the inexperience and unfamiliarity with each other. Also I am pretty sure they are just looking at this as warm-up games for the WC Qualifiers, as they will not be playing one exhibition game before the AmeriCup.

Any reads on Brazil yet? Lost to Uruguay - I am not sure what that means.

mojo13
08-22-2017, 08:06 PM
12 man roster finalized:
http://www.basketball.ca/en/news-article/senior-mens-national-team-announces-fiba-americup-2017-roster

Jermaine Anderson
Guard
6’2
Toronto, ON
Chalons-Reims (France)

Joel Anthony
Centre
6’9
Montreal, QC
San Antonio Spurs (NBA)

Richard Amardi
Forward
6’9
Toronto, ON

Murphy Burnatowski
Power Forward
6’7
Kitchener, ON
Fribourg (Switzerland)

Junior Cadougan
Guard
6’2
Toronto, ON
London Lightning (NBL)

Ammanuel Diressa
Guard
6’5
Toronto, ON
Ryerson University (U SPORTS)

Grandy Glaze
Forward
6’7
Toronto, ON
Caballeros de Culiacan (Mexico)

Olivier Hanlan
Guard
6’4
Gatineau, QC
Le Mans (France)

Brady Heslip
Guard
6’2
Oakville, ON
Raptors 905 (G-League)

Xavier Rathan-Mayes
Guard
6’4
Scarborough, ON
Florida State (NCAA)

Andrew Nicholson
Power Forward
6’9
Mississauga, ON
Washington Wizards /
Brooklyn Nets (NBA)

Dyshawn Pierre
Small Forward
6’6
Whitby, ON
Banco di Srd (Italy)

Small team with a good group of guards and not much depth up front after Andrew Nicholson.
Key players:
Andrew Nicholson (PF/C) - after a few unproductive years in the NBA he was waived by Portland this summer. I think he is an elite scorer at the FIBA level, with great post moves and easily has three point range. He will be our main front court scorer and could easily lead the team in scoring. Poor defender, does'nt protect the rim and a black hole on offense.

Joel Anthony (C) - about the opposite of Nicholson. He will be our lone paint defender. Low level NBA vet near retirement, but the best we have on this roster at interior defense. Zero offensive game whatsoever. No idea how we defend the paint if he gets in foul trouble. I don't know when he last played serious game minutes though - he could be a little old and out of shape here.

Dyshawn Pierre (PF/SF) - very under the radar player, but I think a real key for this team. Undersized as a PF but will play there allot. Lead the BBL in rebounding. Young, fast, high IQ, good passer, mobile wing/paint player. Just signed in Italy (Series A) after a great rookie season in German BBL. He had lead Canada often at youth FIBA tournaments. His game reminds me allot of Melvin Ejim.

Olivier Hanlan (SG/PG) - 3rd year pro, drafted by the Jazz, but never made an NBA team. Had a good summer league for the Spurs and had a solid year for Le Mans last year in France.

Xavier Rathan Mayes (PG) - just graduated from Florida State after a solid NCAA career and went undrafted - had a good summer league for the Knicks and received a partial guarantee camp invite. Once a high volume ineffecient scorer in the NCAA he really changed himself into a competent PG who is a plus defender.

Brady Heslip SG - maybe one of the best distance shooters in the world, and maybe one of the worst defenders in the world at the same time. He is a nice tool to have at this level (just signed in Turkey after a year in the G league).

Jermaine Anderson (PG) - a veteran PG for Canada. A nice steady hand to guide the team to balance out more explosive but unsteady youngsters like XRM and Olivier Hanlan.

I think this group will get the bulk of the minutes.

JGX
08-23-2017, 01:33 AM
ARG is looking strong in their warm up games.
Is seems a near full squad with a number of guys who may not be available in the WC Qualifers (Scola, Campazzo, Vildoza and Brussino?). I guess they are going for Gold with it being on home turf.

Them and USA the favorites?

I think Argentina is the favorite...they have enough of their main players, plenty of international experience, and playing at home. US has a decent roster but who knows how they'll come together, it feels like the same sort of roster that goes to the Pan Am games and doesn't win.

Dtown
08-26-2017, 12:37 AM
Mexico beats Puerto Rico in game one. Not much to say, fairly close game. ESPN's stream quality is very nice at least.

Dtown
08-27-2017, 03:20 AM
Not one for rash judgments but this was pretty clear cut.

Mexico and Puerto Rico have a close result.

Mexico and Puerto Rico beat the shit out of their next opponents.

Which is shit news for the US as both teams are in their world cup qualifying groups.

JGX
08-27-2017, 05:33 AM
US scrimmaged the Dominican Republic and won 97-73:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2017/08/americup-scrimmage.aspx

Dtown
08-27-2017, 04:05 PM
So I wasn't really paying attention to how this competition was organized at first, but reading into it it's kind of bullshit.

Apparently regardless of what happens in Group B, Argentina automatically qualifies for the semi finals. Now they're probably the best team in B (and possibly the tournament) but auto qualifying for the semis is a joke. Also it means a second team automatically comes from group B, instead of doing best 2nd place team or something.

http://www.fiba.basketball/americup/2017/competition-system

So Mexico's already in the semis from group A, and the group A games today are now meaningless as there's no shot at finishing as the best 2nd.

I mean I wasn't high on this tournament before but they're trying really hard to make it more of a joke.

tres equis
08-27-2017, 05:01 PM
This format of the americup i don't like it at all, giving argentina a pass to semis just because they are the host it's stupid. I hope in the next americup they change the rules and make the tournament a little longer, they should add another group with the best 2 teams of each group advancing.

JGX
08-27-2017, 10:27 PM
Bruno tossed from the Brazilian team:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/raptors-bruno-caboclo-removed-brazil-national-team-americup/

JGX
08-28-2017, 12:14 AM
This Canada team has all the weaknesses of the full team and none of the strengths. Wonder if they can get RJ Barrett to play some of the qualifiers.

Walter Hodge though, que gran jugador.

locdogjr
08-28-2017, 02:29 AM
Canada lost to the Virgin Islands?

Yeash......

mojo13
08-28-2017, 05:05 PM
Canada lost to the Virgin Islands?

Yeash......

Yes I really don't know what to think. Worst loss in Canada bball history? Or this doesn't mean much at all?
They started training camp a week ago, played no warm-up games, not even sure they scrimmaged anyone beyond themselves, the coach publicly stated they have no interest in the AmeriCup other than training for the WC Qualifiers, really weak roster, jet lagged, ill prepared, first time coach, loads of first time players, and they collectively shot horrendously.

Whatever it is - it doesn't make me too confident about the Qualifiers. Hopefully they play decently against ARG today.

Hepcat
08-28-2017, 05:14 PM
Apparently regardless of what happens in Group B, Argentina automatically qualifies for the semi finals. Now they're probably the best team in B (and possibly the tournament) but auto qualifying for the semis is a joke.

I mean I wasn't high on this tournament before but they're trying really hard to make it more of a joke.

You've summed it up right there. it's a joke.

:rolleyes:

Hepcat
08-28-2017, 05:17 PM
Worst loss in Canada bball history?

Yes.

Or this doesn't mean much at all? They started training camp a week ago, played no warm-up games, not even sure they scrimmaged anyone beyond themselves, the coach publicly stated they have no interest in the AmeriCup other than training for the WC Qualifiers, really weak roster, jet lagged, ill prepared, first time coach, loads of first time players, and they collectively shot horrendously.

No excuses. Basketball Canada is to blame for not even bothering to call the players to camp until mid-August.

:mad:

CKR13
08-28-2017, 10:14 PM
Smooth sailing so far for USAB- DLeaguers against Panama.

usagre
08-28-2017, 10:30 PM
Yes I really don't know what to think. Worst loss in Canada bball history? Or this doesn't mean much at all?

I would subscribe to the latter. A meaningless outcome to a meaningless tournament. The loss to Venezuela with an automatic Olympic birth at stake as a clear favorite dwarfs this. For me that loss looked even worse the following year at the Olympics when the identical Venezuela squad looked horrible and like they didn't belong.

Dtown
08-28-2017, 10:52 PM
I would subscribe to the latter. A meaningless outcome to a meaningless tournament. The loss to Venezuela with an automatic Olympic birth at stake as a clear favorite dwarfs this. For me that loss looked even worse the following year at the Olympics when the identical Venezuela squad looked horrible and like they didn't belong.

Yeah this was more or less an exhibition match in the grand scheme of things, choking when the Olympics was on the line was way worse.

US looked really impressive. Though I wonder how much of this team will still be available come November.

Dtown
08-29-2017, 12:21 AM
Canada pulls a Canada and blows a lead in a final minutes.

LorenzoAQ
08-29-2017, 12:36 AM
Excellent OT win for Argentina... Campazzo by far is the Tourney MVP thus far!!!

LorenzoAQ
08-29-2017, 12:41 AM
Id' also like to add that it is good to see Argentina working for that default Semi-Finals birth. They really need to improve the AmeriCup format... the damn Little League World Series was more exciting than the AmeriCup'17. The only reason I am really into it is to see if Argentina is justified this year.

JGX
08-29-2017, 12:46 AM
Maybe it's just the television production but the crowd in Uruguay seems a lot louder than in Argentina. Argies could use a healthy Scola.

A few too many threes for my taste from the US today, but they took care of business against a weak-looking Panama team.

LorenzoAQ
08-29-2017, 12:53 AM
Maybe it's just the television production but the crowd in Uruguay seems a lot louder than in Argentina. Argies could use a healthy Scola.

A few too many threes for my taste from the US today, but they took care of business against a weak-looking Panama team.

Would have been nice to see some High School prospects represent US in this thing...

Federoy
08-29-2017, 01:06 AM
Canada pulls a Canada and blows a lead in a final minutes.

I watched most of the second half. Canada was in control with 2 minutes remaining and they managed to blow a 10 point lead against an Argentina team that had little offensive rhythm and was getting killed on the boards. Terrible outcome.

tres equis
08-29-2017, 01:41 AM
It seems that Canada wanted to lose that game, those last minutes was pathetic, they forgot how to defend, horrible.

locdogjr
08-29-2017, 01:46 AM
It seems that Canada wanted to lose that game, those last minutes was pathetic, they forgot how to defend, horrible.

It's a joke, second rate players picked at the last minute and they never even played a warm up game.

Steadysoul
08-29-2017, 04:19 AM
Would have been nice to see some High School prospects represent US in this thing...

That's probably not going to happen with the U-XX system in place.

Dtown
08-29-2017, 09:50 AM
If nothing else this tournament can give a good look how road games will look. Uruguay crowd has been good so far, they should be up for the game with the US tonight.

KingBasketBets
08-29-2017, 10:28 AM
Hey, lads, any news about Jose Vargas? He missed game against US Virgin Islands. Will he play this night?

KingBasketBets
08-29-2017, 10:56 AM
Found on the website of the federation of Venezuela:

"Venezuela no contó en el partido con su capitán José Vargas, quien padece un pequeño desgarro en el gemelo derecho y se perderá lo que resta de torneo". (c)

usagre
08-29-2017, 11:17 PM
Tonight's USA-Uruguay game and tomorrow vs D.R are on ESPNU.

CKR13
08-30-2017, 12:03 AM
Panama's combination of man to man and switch zone limited USA to just 11pts in the first quarter.

Dtown
08-30-2017, 01:28 AM
US wins a rather competitive game in front of a great crowd. Uruguay fought hard and really were beaten just by depth and poor free throws.

Sounds like I'm complementing the tournament? Can't have that.

Barring a US loss to the Dominican (and probably a bad loss) Uruguay will probably be eliminated.

Meanwhile if Argentina continues to beat on the Virgin Islands. A 1-2 team from group B will advance to the semis over 2-1 Puerto Rico, and a likely a 2 win team from group C.

usagre
08-30-2017, 01:39 AM
US wins a rather competitive game in front of a great crowd. Uruguay fought hard and really were beaten just by depth and poor free throws.

Sounds like I'm complementing the tournament? Can't have that.

Ha ha I agree. Watched it on ESPNU the atmosphere was good but the play was nothing to write home about. I guess I set the bar so low when it comes to this tournament that anything half way decent makes it look better than it actually was.
My big takeaway is that this is what we are gonna see in the two year World Cup qualifying windows and it really looks like a waste of time. As long as you resemble a basketball team you can qualify. If Fiba thinks that kind of stuff will help grow the game they are nuts.

Dtown
08-30-2017, 01:55 AM
Ha ha I agree. Watched it on ESPNU the atmosphere was good but the play was nothing to write home about. I guess I set the bar so low when it comes to this tournament that anything half way decent makes it look better than it actually was.
My big takeaway is that this is what we are gonna see in the two year World Cup qualifying windows and it really looks like a waste of time. As long as you resemble a basketball team you can qualify. If Fiba thinks that kind of stuff will help grow the game they are nuts.

I thought it was entertaining in a mediocre Jan/Feb College game kind of way. I'd get more enjoyment out of it once some actual stakes are on the line. Really though FIBA's goal is more crowds like tonight, which home games for every nation might give. I don't blame them for wanting that, however they went about it the worst way. Should have just had the Windows from July to September imo.

JGX
08-30-2017, 02:44 AM
Yay USVI making the semifinals. Puerto Rico the third best national team in the US :D

Didn't love the shot selection from the US but Uruguay isn't total scrubs. Seeing this level of US team really illustrates how good the top NBA players are.

Argentina getting a bye to the semis is lame but otherwise the short format and group stages split across different countries works well now that this is basically an exhibition tournament.

Mojado
08-30-2017, 02:37 PM
Looks like a showdown between the US and Argentina in Cordoba for the title. Was rooting for the USVI, so this is probably their best result ever on this level. Whatever happened to the big plans of Jamaica??

tres equis
08-30-2017, 04:50 PM
Yay USVI making the semifinals. Puerto Rico the third best national team in the US :D

Didn't love the shot selection from the US but Uruguay isn't total scrubs. Seeing this level of US team really illustrates how good the top NBA players are.

Argentina getting a bye to the semis is lame but otherwise the short format and group stages split across different countries works well now that this is basically an exhibition tournament.

Hahahaha, they are going to semis so that's right, we are the third best team...in the us? hahaha, it is what it is lol. It's good to see the virgin islands having some success, i'm rooting for them.

tres equis
08-30-2017, 04:52 PM
Looks like a showdown between the US and Argentina in Cordoba for the title. Was rooting for the USVI, so this is probably their best result ever on this level. Whatever happened to the big plans of Jamaica??

Maybe there were no plans at all.

Dtown
08-30-2017, 10:57 PM
whelp US finished off the Dominican securing

Mexico vs. Argentina (which should actually be pretty good)

And

United States vs. US Virgin Islands (...wow)

JGX
08-31-2017, 03:22 AM
My big takeaway is that this is what we are gonna see in the two year World Cup qualifying windows and it really looks like a waste of time. As long as you resemble a basketball team you can qualify.

Quality of play in the World Cup qualifiers will be even worse, even more players absent, no preparation time, and the guys that do show up from Europe will be jet-lagged.

I really wonder what sort of team the USVI (or Bahamas) will field. A bunch of their players at this tournament are NCAA players. Will they really be able to fly Walter Hodge in from Lebanon? They have a few other good players who aren't at this tournament, is there any chance those guys would show up in the middle of the club season?

locdogjr
08-31-2017, 07:12 AM
Quality of play in the World Cup qualifiers will be even worse, even more players absent, no preparation time, and the guys that do show up from Europe will be jet-lagged.

I really wonder what sort of team the USVI (or Bahamas) will field. A bunch of their players at this tournament are NCAA players. Will they really be able to fly Walter Hodge in from Lebanon? They have a few other good players who aren't at this tournament, is there any chance those guys would show up in the middle of the club season?

This World Cup qualifying is going to be a shit show for many countries,
it is basically the most interesting thing about it! Will anyone care watching their G level players play another teams D level players? What happens when a random team fields a good squad and upsets a tradition power?

Dtown
08-31-2017, 10:17 AM
This World Cup qualifying is going to be a shit show for many countries,
it is basically the most interesting thing about it! Will anyone care watching their G level players play another teams D level players? What happens when a random team fields a good squad and upsets a tradition power?

The car crash drama is really the only thing it has going for it. There are no more wild cards, and missing the World Cup means missing the Olympics as well. Now because there are so many spots that drama is still going to be limited, but it should be there (probably in Europe most likely).

MottoMonku
08-31-2017, 03:38 PM
Can someone explain what was the Tiebreaker between ISV, CAN and VEN? the FIBA AmeriCup website doesn't explain tiebreakers.

mojo13
08-31-2017, 04:41 PM
Can someone explain what was the Tiebreaker between ISV, CAN and VEN? the FIBA AmeriCup website doesn't explain tiebreakers.

There is nothing new to this. It is and has been for as long as I can remember head-to-head point differential between the tied teams.

Throw out each team's game against ARG and look at their +/-.

Canada had to beat VEN by 22 points to get through....BVI was already through when they played ARG.

MottoMonku
08-31-2017, 05:40 PM
There is nothing new to this. It is and has been for as long as I can remember head-to-head point differential between the tied teams.

Throw out each team's game against ARG and look at their +/-.

Canada had to beat VEN by 22 points to get through....BVI was already through when they played ARG.

Thank you, I forgot you only count the tied teams.

locdogjr
09-01-2017, 02:16 AM
The car crash drama is really the only thing it has going for it. There are no more wild cards, and missing the World Cup means missing the Olympics as well. Now because there are so many spots that drama is still going to be limited, but it should be there (probably in Europe most likely).

I am looking forward to seeing Philippines, Japan and Australia come to Taipei for qualifiers. All those teams should be at a high level (minus Australia not having NBA dudes). It'll be interesting to see how some regions deal with this new qualifier. Asia and African teams should be closer to regular strength, maybe?

Car crash drama is right though, FIBA might need the jaws of life by about 2021....

Dtown
09-03-2017, 12:53 AM
US qualified for the final (no surprise there)

Mexico and Argentina actually locked in a pretty competitive game 39-36 Arg at halftime.

Argentina wins, pulling away from Mexico.

After all the hate I've dumped on this tournament. Argentina vs. USA in Argentina is a nice final.

CKR13
09-04-2017, 12:43 AM
Chase down block by Campazzo! Definitely one of the highlights of the game and the tournament.

Dtown
09-04-2017, 01:47 AM
Fantastic comeback win for the US. Down 20 and came all the back to win.

If the majority of this team is here for the qualifiers I think we have nothing to fear.

JGX
09-04-2017, 01:50 AM
Ooh, I like the part where we crush the dreams of the home fans.

usagre
09-04-2017, 01:51 AM
If the majority of this team is here for the qualifiers I think we have nothing to fear.

And if it's not and it's another group of guys nobody has ever heard of we still have nothing to fear.

usagre
09-04-2017, 01:54 AM
Ooh, I like the part where we crush the dreams of the home fans.

Yeah it's always great when you win a tournament that nobody cares about except the people you beat. You, Dtown, me and maybe a couple of other people who post here probably make up 50% of the Americans who watched this thing.

CKR13
09-04-2017, 01:55 AM
I just want to say congrats to the G-League USA Team, that fighting spirit to erase a huge deficit is worthy of USAB lore... Given that people may not even remember who played in the AmeriCup this year.

Props to Argentina for a tournament well played.

Dtown
09-04-2017, 01:55 AM
And if it's not and it's another group of guys nobody has ever heard of we still have nothing to fear.

I mean yeah, but I'm trying to sound humble....

BTW for fellow US fans, if the qualifying team loses do you consider that a mark against the US undefeated streak (2007- Present)?

I would have counted it, since I'm counting this team's win towards the streak, but I want to get other opinions.

usagre
09-04-2017, 01:57 AM
Would have been nice if ESPNU hung around for the medal presentations but that's asking too much from them.

Dtown
09-04-2017, 02:00 AM
Would have been nice if ESPNU hung around for the medal presentations but that's asking too much from them.

I'd have a go at ESPN, but lets be honest, we barely care about this shit and we are the hardcore of the hardcore. I can't blame them for cutting away. I praise them for even showing games.

usagre
09-04-2017, 02:00 AM

BTW for fellow US fans, if the qualifying team loses do you consider that a mark against the US undefeated streak (2007- Present)?

I would have counted it, since I'm counting this team's win towards the streak, but I want to get other opinions.

Absolutely not. I understand that technically this is a senior level team but I can't do it. I place more importance on exhibition games that true USA teams play rather than these type of tournaments.

Dtown
09-04-2017, 02:03 AM
Absolutely not. I understand that technically this is a senior level team but I can't do it. I place more importance on exhibition games that true USA teams play rather than these type of tournaments.

I get that, I mean no one counted 1998 World Championship against the '1992' streak.

usagre
09-04-2017, 02:09 AM
I get that, I mean no one counted 1998 World Championship against the '1992' streak.

Yeah for me the streak starts with the 2006 Bronze medal win over Argentina where incidentally I think Coach K realized how to coach in these games and tightened his rotation, stopped being cute by bringing Wade the reigning NBA finals mvp off the bench and started him. And I include all exhibition/preparation games in the streak as well because let's face it team USA views them equal to early round preliminary games.

JGX
09-04-2017, 02:12 AM
Definitely wouldn't count it. Not a real US team. Similar to Pan Am Games.

usagre
09-04-2017, 02:16 AM
Definitely wouldn't count it. Not a real US team. Similar to Pan Am Games.

Yeah that's a good comparison. Teams were very similar.

usagre
09-04-2017, 02:22 AM
Assuming Argentina qualifies for the '19 Worlds, they will be a complete non factor in a world event for the first time since the 90's.
They just don't have much talent.

Dtown
09-04-2017, 02:29 AM
Assuming Argentina qualifies for the '19 Worlds, they will be a complete non factor in a world event for the first time since the 90's.
They just don't have much talent.

If Canada makes it through qualification (lets be honest, if you lose to the Virgin Islands, you get an IF on everything), they are a solid bet for that second Olympics slot.

locdogjr
09-04-2017, 02:31 AM

Canadian not American, but if it is official FIBA sanctioned play then yes, it counts.

I've even had arguments with Americans where they say "Oh, if we lose the world championships it doesn't count, we didn't have Lebron or Kobe, we ONLY had Irving and Harden" or whoever they want to pick and choose.

If it is a main FIBA event, and you lose, it counts on the national teams record.

With that said, it doesn't really matter.

I do feel bad for these G-League dudes that will put in all this effort to qualify the USA for the World Cup and then the big dogs come push them out of the way and say, "We've got it from here"

usagre
09-04-2017, 02:33 AM
If Canada makes it through qualification (lets be honest, if you lose to the Virgin Islands, you get an IF on everything), they are a solid bet for that second Olympics slot.

I hope they make it. I want to see Joseph, Murray, Wiggins, Olynyk, Thompson and others on the same team for once.

What's the story with Brazil ? Can they compete ?

usagre
09-04-2017, 02:37 AM
I've even had arguments with Americans where they say "Oh, if we lose the world championships it doesn't count, we didn't have Lebron or Kobe, we ONLY had Irving and Harden" or whoever they want to pick and choose.

That's dumb. Those guys are lost. Every team has absences. If you use a criteria like that only the '92 team had the top 7 or 8 no doubt best players on the team. Even '96 was missing Jordan.

Dtown
09-04-2017, 02:46 AM
My definition of a team that counts is 10 currently in the NBA guys. Even if they're all bench guys I'll count it, I'll say wtf but I'll count it. If it's not even 5 guys in the NBA it's a hard no.

usagre
09-04-2017, 02:56 AM
My definition of a team that counts is 10 currently in the NBA guys. Even if they're all bench guys I'll count it, I'll say wtf but I'll count it. If it's not even 5 guys in the NBA it's a hard no.

Yeah I'll go with that. Something like the 2001 Goodwill games team which had young Nba players.

locdogjr
09-04-2017, 03:13 AM
What about other countries?

China lost the Asia Cup this year and didn't have Yi or Zou Qi, do they get to put an asterisk?

Greece doesn't have Giannis, can they get to make an excuse?

I certainly see the difference between one player and an tire team being G-level players, but what is the line? A whole shit load of European teams are going to be trying to qualify without their NBA players or potentially even Euroleague guys.

As for Canada, poor poor senior level men's basketball, we can never seem to get our act together. This team had a decent level of talent, but they also had players I've never heard of, which as a pretty high level nerd is a tough thing to do. The domestic league players are going to have a hard time getting the job done, essentially it is going to come down to, "Who is in the G-League right now?". Canada will grab those G-League guys, maybe a few European players and then NBL dudes and hope that gets the job done. If Canada can actualy get players like Wiltjier, khem Birch, Melvin Ejim, etc to suit up, we have a chance. if it is a smattering of NBL guys, we in trouble.

Dtown
09-04-2017, 03:23 AM
What about other countries?

China lost the Asia Cup this year and didn't have Yi or Zou Qi, do they get to put an asterisk?

Greece doesn't have Giannis, can they get to make an excuse?

I certainly see the difference between one player and an tire team being G-level players, but what is the line? A whole shit load of European teams are going to be trying to qualify without their NBA players or potentially even Euroleague guys.

As for Canada, poor poor senior level men's basketball, we can never seem to get our act together. This team had a decent level of talent, but they also had players I've never heard of, which as a pretty high level nerd is a tough thing to do. The domestic league players are going to have a hard time getting the job done, essentially it is going to come down to, "Who is in the G-League right now?". Canada will grab those G-League guys, maybe a few European players and then NBL dudes and hope that gets the job done. If Canada can actualy get players like Wiltjier, khem Birch, Melvin Ejim, etc to suit up, we have a chance. if it is a smattering of NBL guys, we in trouble.

I think every national team/national team fanbase has to to set their own standards.

For some teams a weakened team is a B/C team. For the US a team like this is aptly called a G team.

Yes it is still a very capable team, and that speaks to the US unmatched depth, but it is SOOOOO far below a standard Olympic/World team that some will say it doesn't count.

JGX
09-04-2017, 03:34 AM
If none of the top 200 players in the country are on the team I think it is reasonable to say it doesn't count.

For IBN historical purposes I love that Van Gundy is the coach.

usagre
09-04-2017, 03:42 AM
If none of the top 200 players in the country are on the team

Yeah I think that pretty much sums up the gap between these countries when a team playing at home with just about all it's best available players loses to a team like that.

usagre
09-04-2017, 03:47 AM
For IBN historical purposes I love that Van Gundy is the coach.

I like Van Gundy the guy is a winning coach. And more importantly anyone who refers to Michael Jordan as a con man is ok in my book.

Mojado
09-08-2017, 08:39 AM
From what I was able to gather, three players from the Mexican NT got into a fight with security at 4am at a bowling center in Cordoba after their 3rd place game
They might be sanctioned by the Mexican sports authorities now...
https://el-periodico.com.ar/noticia/31941/escandalo-con-jugadores-de-basquet-de-mexico-en-cordoba