Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Structure for the Second round TOA

http://www.2007lasvegas.fibaamericas.com/

Does anybody understand the format for Quarter Finals and beyond of the ToA. I am confused by the second round. This could be very interesting for the teams advancing
    So i think that....

PR has good chances to end up first in its group. Arg should be the most difficult game for us but taking into consideration that Arroyo did not play against them in the TMC and that Arg 's Delfino may be injured i think we have some opportunities( no Ginobili, nocioni, herman, ruben etc). But all the other teams are dangerous so we better be careful. Batista URG will give us problems due to our lack of size, Panama and Mexico play very physical underneath the basket. After the first round, however, i think we are done with possible back to back losses to USA and Brazil, and a though rival in USA VI, I think this time around we would beat Canada.

UI think that PUR had a poor showing in the TMC, but i still think they will pull some stuff together for the TOA. Even if the local press has already given us no hope for qualifying, as well as the "kiss of death". Maybe I am too optimistic. I would not be surprised however, if the prelim round ended like this:

BTW i think is silly that the Olympic champion has to qualify for the Olympics.

Group A
    PUR 4-0
    ARG 3-1
    PAN and/or URG 2-2 could go either way
    MEX 0-4 (sorry Guys)

Group B
    USA 4-0 ( I think they will have a really tough game against BRZ but anderson is out and USA is local
    BRZ 3-1
    IV 2-2 and/or CAN 2-2 could go either way
    VEN 0-4 ( sorry guys I know you lost a great player recently)
    Last edited by LFGC79; 08-20-2007, 07:24 PM.

The second round works this way: suppose the first round ends up like this:

A: PuR 4-0, ARG 3-1, URU 2-2, MEX 1-3, PAN 0-4
    B: USA 4-0, BRA 3-1, CAN 2-2, IVS 1-3, VEN 0-4

What happens is that the remaining eight teams (all exceto PAN and VEN) form a single group that plays round robin. The trick is, Group A teams have already played between them, so their first round matches count for the second round, excluding their games against PAN or VEN. Second round would start like this:

PuR and USA 3-0
    ARG and BRA 2-1
    URU and CAN 1-2
    IVS and MEX 0-3

And then, Group A teams play only their four matches against Group B teams. Then, after these seven games (the previous three and the next four), everybody has played each other once, and Top 4 teams play the semifinals.

The final note is, if one of the second round teams have lost against the team that finished last in the first round, that loss doesn't count for Round 2.

Comment

Thank you.
      I was not aware that it was such a long and grueling tournament. It is a shame that we only have 2 spots not including Argentina. (who should be classified in the first place) I see PR future grim as they would have to defeat a tall and deep team in brazil. It can be done but we would have to play flawlessly.

Comment

The second spot should be a hard fight between ARG, PR and Brazil. I can't really put any one above of the other.

Comment

so only two teams will qualify directly?
          and how many teams will go to the qualifying tournament?
          "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Comment

Originally posted by Picek
            3rd, 4th (the semifinals losers) and 5th

Comment

i think its 3 from Americas, 4 from Europe, 2 from Asia, 2 from Africa and 1 from Oceania

Comment

thanks both of you..
                anyone knows if some european TV channel will show some of the games?
                paid tv maybe?
                "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Comment

thanks both of you..
                  anyone knows if some european TV channel will show some of the games?
                  paid tv maybe?

Dubai Sports is on Hotbrid. But i don´t know is this true what they are writing. I checked the internet site of Dubai Sports, but everything is in arabic so i checked nothing.

Comment

Working...
                  X

Debug Information