Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7-3 "Max" Zhang Zhaoxu in California (NCAA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7-3 "Max" Zhang Zhaoxu in California (NCAA)

Zhang Zhaoxu (Max), 1987, 7'2''
    Former CBA team: Shandong Lions

http://www.coremg.net/newspapers.php...y&storyid=2407
    In fact, 18-year-old Max Chung was sent from China to Marquis to help hone and develop his basketball skills.

Chung, who stands at 7 feet, 2 inches, is perhaps one of the incoming stars that China has to offer. He will train under the guidance of Marquis, and hopes to apply for the NBA Draft in the next two to three years.

“Coach Marquis is very famous in China,” said Chung, who is likely to play in the upcoming Junior Olympics for the Chinese National team. “My parents know him and think he’s very credible, so they sent me over here [to the U.S.] with him. He’s taught me the basic fundamentals and I want to be the best. My goal is to be the best basketball player in the NBA.”
    In the standard romanization of Chinese characters (pinyin system) used in China, the word "Chung" is never used, so I assume the reporter is referring to "Zhang". And the description really matches those of Zhang Zhaoxu.

He was one of the better players in last year's FIBA/NBA BWB Asia camp and the Nike All-Asia camp (best 5), and he also attended the Adidas US Camp in Atlanta. He's a very mobile center with good shotblocking skills but still needs more work. Possibly after the US trip, he realized that he wanted to go to the US to hone his skills, but his club team, wanting him to play in the CBA, refused. I've heard of a lot of rumors, but one possible scenario is with the help of his agent (from the photo he seems to be affliated with Li-Ning) he broke free from the Shandong team and has wandered to somewhere in Shanghai. I think he is determined to go to school in the US. It'll be interesting how he ends up. "Best player in NBA?" Man...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sinobball; 10-13-2007, 03:56 PM.
    aim low, score high

7-3, 19yr Zhang Zhaoxu signs with Cal (NCAA)

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/...081707aaq.html

Zhang joins Nebraska's 6-10 Shang Ping as the 2 scholarship-holding Chinese in the NCAA this season.
    aim low, score high

Comment

7-3 Max Zhang Signs with Cal Basketball

Freshman center will be tallest player in school history

Aug. 17, 2007

BERKELEY - Xu "Max" Zhang, a 7-3 center from Yantai, China, has signed to play with the California men's basketball team this season, Golden Bear head coach Ben Braun announced today.

The tallest player in school history and only the fourth seven-footer ever to play at Cal, Zhang only began playing basketball when he was 15, but by the time he graduated from high school in 2006, he was selected to China's high school all-star team.

"It is very rare to have a skilled student-athlete with Max's size," Braun said. "He has improved significantly over the past two years and is still developing physically. Max has the ability to change games and alter opponents' shots, and he has the potential to score inside and outside. He can run the floor and is an adept shot blocker."

Zhang first played in the United States when he attended an adidas camp in the summer of 2005. He returned to the U.S. in the fall of 2006 to study at the American English Academy in Monterey Park, Calif. As a member of the California Supreme AAU team, Zhang ranked third in both rebounds (43) and blocks (10) at the 2007 Cactus Classic this past May in Tucson, Ariz. He also played briefly with the LA Impact team over the summer.

Zhang adds to an impressive front line for the Bears that includes returning 6-11 senior center DeVon Hardin, Cal's fifth all-time leading shot blocker who averaged 10.7 ppg and 8.4 rpg in 11 games last year before being sidelined with a foot injury, and 6-10 forward Ryan Anderson, a Freshman All-American and member of the 2007 Pac-10 All-Freshman squad after contributing 16.3 ppg and 8.2 rpg.

Zhang's signing also provides insurance, as several Cal post players have incurred significant injuries in recent years, including four different players who had surgery in the last year. In addition to Hardin, they are 7-0 sophomore Jordan Wilkes (knee), 6-10 sophomore Taylor Harrison (knee) and 6-6 junior Theo Robertson (hip). Former big men Leon Powe (knee), Rod Benson (knee) and Sam Rayburn (knee) also missed all or part of seasons since 2004-05.

"We have certainly have had more than our fair share of injuries to our big men," Braun said. "Over the years, I've learned you can never have too many posts, and I think that Max will be a great fit for our team."

Prior to Zhang, the other seven-footers to suit up for the Bears were 7-0 John Wardell (1965-66), 7-0 Francisco Elson (1998-99) and Wilkes.

CBS Sports features live scoring, news, stats, and player info for NFL football, MLB baseball, NBA basketball, NHL hockey, college basketball and football.

Max Zhang Stats in the CIAA Chinese League

23.50 PPG
      6 BPG
      13 RPG
      37.3 MPG

Career High

Points 32
      Field Goal Made 14
      Field Goal Attempted 21
      Three Point Field Goal Made 1
      Three Point Field Goal Attempted 2
      Free Throws Made 3
      Free Throws Attempted 4
      Offensive Rebound 2
      Defensive Rebound 9
      Total Rebounds 11
      Assists 0
      Steals 0
      Blocks 6
      Minute Played 40

Max Zhang is 19 yrs.old

Comment

Nextyao Ming Or Sun Ming Ming?

Comment

any videos or picture of this kid?

Comment

Hey Sun Mingming may not be taylor made for basketball but at least he got to be in Rush Hour 3 haha
            YI JIANLIAN BLOG

Comment

China have quality big men their guards are very scarce while in Philippines its vice versa have quality guards but quality big men are very few and scarce
              PRO DEO ET PATRIA (in the service of God and Country)

Comment

Originally posted by dsong2006
                Hey Sun Mingming may not be taylor made for basketball but at least he got to be in Rush Hour 3 haha
                Dsong2006 dude, do you have some video of 19 yr. old 7-3 tall Xu "Max" Zhang? Will you kindly post some of his highlights, thanks in advance...

Comment

Originally posted by rycorpz
                  China have quality big men their guards are very scarce while in Philippines its vice versa have quality guards but quality big men are very few and scarce
                  I sense an indication of a bilateral trade exchange of manpower

Comment

sorry guys i tried searching for Xu Zhang but couldn't even find a picture lol i'll try again when i have time.
                    YI JIANLIAN BLOG

Comment

His name is Zhang Zhaoxu.

2005 Adidas Asia Superstar Camp's top 10 performers (top defender and shotblocker), got to attend the American Adidas Camp in Suwanee (as the article mentions). Also top player at that year's Nike All-Asia Camp and NBA/FIBA BWB camp. Belonged to Shandong Lions pro club's junior team and signed by Adidas (since contracts in China are loose they should not keep him from entering NCAA). Came to USA in summer of 2006.
                      aim low, score high

Comment

look at his hands and palm dude this guy is teachable and coachable another Yao in the making hope he don't be complacent
                        PRO DEO ET PATRIA (in the service of God and Country)

Comment

Hopefully the NCAA doesn't recongize that he once played "professionally", or belonged to a club team. Guess thats why he stayed relatively quiet or whatever since 2007. Big hopes for him... Cal isn't a powerhouse but its produced it shares of NBA players (Kidd, Reef, Powe).

Comment

Max dunks during practice

He got pretty good athleticism. Body control not as good as Yi though, but he's taller.

Maybe he'll improve enough to go to the NBA.
                            aim low, score high

Comment

Biggest hands of any BBall player I've ever seen. His athleticism looks very good for 7'2, 7'3, or whatever he is. Plus, he seems pretty confident.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information