Fahed: I know What I Can Give and on What Level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fahed: I know What I Can Give and on What Level

PMA Basketball caught up with Lebanese national team guard and free agent, Rony Fahed after the 24th Asian Basketball Championship for a heart-to-heart interview. Here are the details.

What was your first reaction when everything was over at the end of the Asian tour?
    Fahed: When the game [Asian Championship game versus Iran] ended, it was a big shock for all us. Personally, this is the first time I cry over a basketball game. That’s how much it affected me. I knew this might have been our first and only real chance to get to the Olympics. So it was a big shock.

How do you feel now?
    Fahed: Wherever I go, people still talk to me about it. They express their sadness and remind me of the game again when I’m trying to forget. We got exhausted this past month preparing for this game because we knew we could get to the final. But we weren’t up to the responsibility.

Did you feel especially sad that you should have won since China wasn’t in with its first team?
    Fahed: Yes, right. This was our chance to win it all and be Asia’s champion, which is a very important thing. Too bad we lost. We had the chance to win without China, but we lost it.

How do you reflect on the past 40 days?
    Fahed: It is always a good experience to play so many games, see different countries and meet new people. It was a challenge. We learned a lot with the coach. We also missed home because we were away from family and friends for so long.

Any regrets? Or do you feel that you guys did all you could?
    Fahed: We did all we could, we gave it all. If we hadn’t done that, people would have criticized us. But they’re all ok with what happened, telling us we did our best. And just like before, people are proud of us. Even though we didn’t win, Lebanon is getting there, we’re playing good games.

You got people accustomed to you stepping up when the game is on the line. But there are games where your presence is subtle. Do you restrict yourself to certain situations only?
    Fahed: In big games, I am highly focused because I know how important it is to be mentally ready. But all those games that we win easily, by 20 or 30, of course I’m not going to play with all I have, because it’s a team effort and I don’t have to shine individually. Also, the role that the coach gives a player is important. I always say that if I’m given the time and confidence, I’ll take care of everything else. That’s why you might see some ups-and-downs with me. But once the team needs me, I’m going to be there. I know what I can give and on what level. I have confidence in myself and it bothers me when a coach doesn’t know I have that confidence.

You’re a free agent now. Do you think teams will devour one another just to have you?
    Fahed: Yes, I am a free agent and I have lots of choices. I will wait for the best offer. We’ll see.

This past season wasn’t your greatest. Are you willing to sign with Blue Stars if you get the contract that you like?
    Fahed: I’m ready to sign with Blue Stars. What encourages me is that Coach Dragan [Raca] will be there. Things will be easier that way because he knows what I can do and he can bring out the best in me. That helps a lot because I want to have a good season next year.

How about overseas? Have you thought about that option?
    Fahed: Yes, I have. Depending on the conditions, yes I would contider it. If it’s in Europe, and I have a chance, why not?

You’ve had several disappointments before. Does it get easier each time or is the hurt still as strong?
    Fahed: It is always difficult, and sometimes it’s really bad. This last one [not making the Olympics] was bad. It was the worst.

Let’s talk about Lebanese basketball. Are you satisfied with the way things are running?
    Fahed: We always look to get better… the league, the money, sponsors, teams, etc. My wish is to improve the league, make it professional so players won’t have to worry about what to do during the off-season. Do they start working again, do they go to school, do they look for a job, etc.? These are the things that I always complain about.

As a basketball society, Lebanon hit the top with the Sagesse regional accomplishments and the national team international ones. But the general consensus is that basketball has taken a downfall. Do you feel like that? As a player, do you see the level of competition on the floor lower than before?
    Fahed: As a game, it’s not deteriorating. You can tell by the performance of the teams, us [Blue Stars], Al Ryadi, and the national team. What we’ve done shows the level of the game is still up. But the political situation impacted the game negatively. The sponsors are scared to invest in clubs. The media prefer to go to politics. Antione Choueiry’s absence also had an impact. But we can fix these things through the federation. It can work on some plans, schedules and a new structure. The competition is there. I know the federation is working on the game, but it needs to improve more. We need entertainment during the games. We need to have a minimum budget and a maximum one for each team, etc.

Do you see the national team as a true reflection of basketball in Lebanon?
    Fahed: We [the national team] sometimes look better than the league. When the national team plays, it looks like we have a very strong league.

You have several milestones with the national team. Which one is your favorite memory?
    Fahed: Beating France [in 2006]. And when we qualified to both world championships.

Looking back at all these years you’ve played ball, how do you see your life?
    Fahed: I consider myself lucky because I became a basketball player. The environment I grew up in made it easier for me. I am happy with this career and I’m happy that I’m successful in it, because I don’t know what I would have become if I weren’t a basketball player. So I’m happy I am a basketball player.

Are you at the top of your game?
    Fahed: Well, one thing I’ve noticed is that in the past, I used to take bad attempts. That was my problem. I used to be quick to make bad decisions and bad shots. I reduced those now. I can read the game better. That’s what changed in me.

So you’re not at your top?
    Fahed: I can do more.

What’s stopping you?
    Fahed: To be at the top, first you have to win the championship. It’s not necessary, but that’s the way it has to be. Soon, I will reach my top. It will happen when experience combines with age and physical conditioning. I hope to get to the top and stay there for a while.

Each person has dreams. What are yours? What have you accomplished so far?
    Fahed: As far as the national team, we did everything we could. Everything but the Olympics! It kills me every time I remember it! Team-wise, I want to win the championship. At least two or three times. I’ve won with the juniors, so now I want to win with the first team. As a person, my dream is to have a good life and build a family. I plan on getting married next year. When I finished college, my dream was to be successful in business alongside basketball. That one is coming true with Déjà vu, the pub that I have shares in. But still, family matters the most to me.

Tell me a secret a select few know. Let’s break it here for the first time.
    Fahed: We talked about my wedding. I guess another secret would be the fact that I cried at the end of the championship game [Asian Championship]. Nobody saw me, so that’s a secret.
    Last edited by daniab; 08-17-2007, 08:36 AM.
    Proud to be Lebanese
    www.arabasket.com

i saw him crying on jazeera channel...but they didnt show that on LBC...fahd cried the most , than khatib...i didnt see anyone else crying........

Comment

Vogel threw the towel on his head and probably cried but no one could see

That must suck trying to move on and everyone continuing to remind you of the loss.
      "...I got the hand that will rock your craddle / cream you like cheese spread you on my bagel..." - Shaq

Comment

its natural to cry, when you almost made it to the olympics. just one win and your in. I guess its going to be a long time before anyone in lebanese basketball is going to forget about that game. this year's opportunity was a once in a lifetime opportunity to go to the olympics, and I guess everybody except iran is happy at the moment.

Comment

you mean everybody execpt iran is sad abt it the lebanese have to be the sadest cuz they were the closest(1 step away)a team which lost in the 2nd round or 1st round wouldnt be that sad cuz they werent really that close anyway...what makes us lebanese the sadest is that lebanon didnt give it all they have since ali mahmoud was injured and he domintaed the irani PG in the 1st game , unlike the 2nd game where the irani PG dominated the lebanese defenders(theres a 15pt turn around right here) and the game finished by a single basket....like when the lebanese PG akl got injured in the U19 WBC this year...we were winning agains brazil(4th) by 8 and ended up losing that game....leb were so unlucky this year.....

Comment

Originally posted by karim
            you mean everybody execpt iran is sad abt it the lebanese have to be the sadest cuz they were the closest(1 step away)a team which lost in the 2nd round or 1st round wouldnt be that sad cuz they werent really that close anyway...what makes us lebanese the sadest is that lebanon didnt give it all they have since ali mahmoud was injured and he domintaed the irani PG in the 1st game , unlike the 2nd game where the irani PG dominated the lebanese defenders(theres a 15pt turn around right here) and the game finished by a single basket....like when the lebanese PG akl got injured in the U19 WBC this year...we were winning agains brazil(4th) by 8 and ended up losing that game....leb were so unlucky this year.....
            Yea, this year Lebanon was unlucky in everything Basketball,politics Football ........
            Anyway Second position isn't bad .Hope we work seriously for Asia 2009,maybe we could qualify for the 3rd time to WCC.
            Proud to be Lebanese
            www.arabasket.com

Comment

and we should also practice for the pre olympics we might finish in the top 3 and qualify to the olympics for the first time, who knows.....noone expected Iran to win the asian championship...so we should practice our best , hopefully we can get adriano ibrahim and the other imports of lebanese blood and not let the polititcs interfere with this and do our best , with a little luck we can do it , leb is a very respectable team even on world standards...they have been the only team in asia along with korea who has reached the semis finals the last 4 times and 3 silver medals so they really did a good job keeping our flag hight on the asian level and on the international level......

Comment

Working...
              X

Debug Information