PDA

View Full Version : Who is better? Arvydas or Dirk?

joel23
08-11-2007, 04:49 PM
The NBA said Dirk is the greatest European player but the other European talents maybe better than him. Arvydas Sabonis was drafted in 1986 but the reason was did not signed in NBA team and then back and went played back to European league. He is 7'2 can pass, shooter in outside, shotblocker bigman. After a long waiting for Arvydas with suffered his injury and then next 9 years at the age of 30 finally, Arvydas has first time considered as the oldest rookie in the NBA. He ave. 15+ pts 10rebs and a assist, blocks, stls. He is all-round. So who is the greatest European ever?

Gytaz
08-11-2007, 05:03 PM
Sabonis.

However, if you're asking, who is THE BEST European player ever, you should also add Drazen Petrovic (anyone else?).

joel23
08-11-2007, 05:08 PM
Sabonis.

Although you should probably put this poll in "More European discussion" forum. Also, if you're asking, who is THE BEST European player ever, you should also add Drazen Petrovic (anyone else?).

I saw Arvydas' better than Petrovic a bit. But Petrovic has very good player even in the NBA. But I'm was so sad he died due accident.

kololoco
08-11-2007, 05:30 PM
I voted for Sabonis but that was a bit biased because I voted more for wat he could have been if there was no injury. But Dirk and Drazen are right behind.

elaj
08-11-2007, 05:34 PM
SuperDirk.

It should be "Who is the best European Big Man?". ;)

kecal
08-11-2007, 05:42 PM
I think, uncomparable, but... Sabas was a beast both on offense and defense, while Dirk is mainly offensive weapon. His advantage is only NBA, but it does not mean everything, especially nowadays. Although Jasikevičius is struggling in NBA, it does not mean that he should not be called one of the best European players at the moment...

In general, the 80's and 90's had Sabonis and Petrovič, and now we have Nowitzki and Gasol. Different times, different legends. I'm the one to say that Jordan was best only at his playing time, because that was HIS time...

Toxicity
08-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Sabonis.

A drunken Arvydas is still better than a sober Dirk... :D

Srle
08-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Sabonis was all around better player. Best European center ever. Fun to watch.

KokkinosVasilias
08-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Who is better? Arvydas or Dirk?

Arvydas of course... Arvydas Macijauskas :D

rikhardur
08-11-2007, 07:24 PM
Like I already said once, Nowitzki might surpass Sabonis, but that will have to be checked when his career is over. Right now Sabas still has an edge over him. Both are my all-time favourite players btw.

FilWelsh
08-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Not fair to compare as they came from different era, but Sabas has much accomplishments in international basketball including 1988 Olympic gold and entered NBA in twilight of his basketball career (at age 30). . . if he has entered NBA early, he could have dominate it or even could capped an MVP. . .

donmar
08-12-2007, 04:16 AM
Dirk Nowitzki and Drazen Petrovic :D:D:D

rycorpz
08-12-2007, 07:25 AM
for versatility dirk has the edge but when it comes to court savy and Basketball I.Q. no question about it Sabonis is the barrometer of best European big man

joel23
08-12-2007, 05:13 PM
for versatility dirk has the edge but when it comes to court savy and Basketball I.Q. no question about it Sabonis is the barrometer of best European big man

Dirk Nowitzki's mind shooting-shooting and not good in defense. He doesn't like Sabonis' passing to right way, verygood shooting and also good in defense.

KokkinosVasilias
08-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Sabonis is 45 years old!

how could he be better than Nowitzki? :D

re5pectas
08-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Sabonis is 45 years old!

how could he be better than Nowitzki? :D
easily :P

btw, I'm surprised that Dirk collects so many votes :rolleyes:
I thought Sabonis would won this poll 80-20 :D

Afraid
08-13-2007, 07:12 PM
The only thing that Dirk can do better than sabonis is shoot. Nothing else. this is good weapon in NBA, where defence doesnt exist ;)

Drazen, marciulionis, they were first europeans to play in nba and they both were very good. Marciulionis was twice as a best sixth man in NBA, and petrovic was chose to the third five of nba. also they were best friends :)

back to sabonis and dirk- sabonis prooved a lot in europe, in world and in nba, dirk- just NBA

Buducnost PG
08-13-2007, 07:31 PM
The only thing that Dirk can do better than sabonis is shoot. Nothing else. this is good weapon in NBA, where defence doesnt exist ;)

Drazen, marciulionis, they were first europeans to play in nba and they both were very good. Marciulionis was twice as a best sixth man in NBA, and petrovic was chose to the third five of nba. also they were best friends :)

back to sabonis and dirk- sabonis prooved a lot in europe, in world and in nba, dirk- just NBA

I donīt want to start who is better Sabonis or Dirk, but the 1st sentence is not right. Look what Dirk had done with Germany at FIBA-Level. With a Germany who players played like Roller, Demirel etc. who are 3rd class players for europe.

KokkinosVasilias
08-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Oscar Schmidt

DanMajerle
08-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Sabonis was more talented and versatile, but Dirk is better at acually using all his talent and bringing it on the court and is a better leader and crunch time player.
But why do people always want to know who's better? Both are top level players and have different strenghts.

@ Afaid Did you see the last eight years of FIBA tournaments and what Dirk did?

obe31
08-13-2007, 08:18 PM
Sabonis was more talented and versatile, but Dirk is better at acually using all his talent and bringing it on the court and is a better leader and crunch time player.
But why do people always want to know who's better? Both are top level players and have different strenghts.

@ Afaid Did you see the last eight years of FIBA tournaments and what Dirk did?
I agree. Plus this is a totally subjective post. Best taking into consideration what criteria?Best Scorer? Nick Gallis, best all around player? Dirk, best Center? Sabonis, best guard? Petrovic

KokkinosVasilias
08-13-2007, 08:23 PM
Nowitzki is Gemini whilst Sabonis is Saggitarius,
therefore its obvious who is better :D

Straight forward
08-13-2007, 10:22 PM
by the way, what do you think about SARUNAS MARCIULIONIS? I see him like one of the most unappreciated in such threads. ANd Tony Kukoc?

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/8193/sarunasmarciulionis1xc3.gif (http://imageshack.us)
Shot at 2007-08-13

rommelc
08-14-2007, 10:36 AM
I agree. Plus this is a totally subjective post. Best taking into consideration what criteria?Best Scorer? Nick Gallis, best all around player? Dirk, best Center? Sabonis, best guard? Petrovic

I don't have agree with you. Dirk is the worst in defense compare to Sabonis had more shotblocking and steal. Dirk is only shoot and Sabonis' smart man shoot and pass. The best taking in consideration are Sabonis is best all around player and Dirk is only best scorer.

barzdyla/\kaunas
08-14-2007, 11:05 AM
well sabas is better,if i would be a coach and i'd hawe to choose between them:) i'd take SABAS

turkishpower
08-14-2007, 11:06 AM
Dirk (even now) is the best basketballer from Europe in the history(period)

kololoco
08-14-2007, 11:55 AM
Dirk (even now) is the best basketballer from Europe in the history(period)

???????
Sabonis, Marculionis, Petrovic, Kukoc, Radja, Djordjevic, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius and even Papaloukas I would pick before Nowitzki for their leadership and knowledge of the game. Nowitzki is probably the best scorer of them all, but no way is he the best player. Especially because the game is played on oth halfs of the court and also because none of those players would alow to them to happen what hapened to him in this years playoff against Golden State. He had great success in the dark age for NBA basketball (with it's deteriorating quality) and none in the playoffs of the league and 1 success with his national team. Too little for such a stateent.

obe31
08-14-2007, 01:20 PM
???????
Sabonis, Marculionis, Petrovic, Kukoc, Radja, Djordjevic, Bodiroga, Jasikevicius and even Papaloukas I would pick before Nowitzki for their leadership and knowledge of the game. Nowitzki is probably the best scorer of them all, but no way is he the best player. Especially because the game is played on oth halfs of the court and also because none of those players would alow to them to happen what hapened to him in this years playoff against Golden State. He had great success in the dark age for NBA basketball (with it's deteriorating quality) and none in the playoffs of the league and 1 success with his national team. Too little for such a stateent.
Kololoco best european scorer was Gallis...some of you that are a bit younger may not know him but most of the guys here remember him(i guess...or am i too old? :D ). As for best player ever i would have to pick one out of Sabonis, Dirk, Petrovic, Kukoc,

Srle
08-14-2007, 05:31 PM
Best clutch preformers and winers are Djordjevic and Bodiroga. Also they can be in disccusion as the best European players.

KokkinosVasilias
08-14-2007, 06:21 PM
I cant believe noone has mentioned the best player ever!!!!!!!

ZARKO PASPALJJJJJJJJJJJJ!!!!!!!!!! :D

kololoco
08-14-2007, 08:59 PM
I cant believe noone has mentioned the best player ever!!!!!!!

ZARKO PASPALJJJJJJJJJJJJ!!!!!!!!!! :D

Both Paspalj and Divac aren't winners and have been lucky to play for the national team with Bodiroga and Djordjevic and Danilovic. They are the 3 Serbs that should come to mind. Kukoc, Radja and Petrovic of the Croats, Sabonis, Marculionis and Jasikevicius of the Liths and Papaloukas and Gallis of the Greeks (I haven't watched the former but have heard much of him). That's offcourse the late '80s and to date since when basetball has started getting it's modern appearence. All the rest are good and great players but not greatest material (Nowitzki, Stojakovic, Divac, Paspalj, Vujcic, Rigadeau,...). Navaro and Gasol are still undisided in my opinion and are between the two groups.

T.W.Is.M.
08-14-2007, 10:58 PM
At first I couldn't take an easy decision between Sabonis and Nowitzki.But when I read a couple of posts I realized that Petrovic should definitely b in this poll.I was always wondering who was better, Sabonis or Drazen and I still can't make up my mind.Yet I consider Petrovic better than Nowitzki.So with a little mathematical logic I came 2 my conclusion:
Sabonis=Petrovic(approximately)
Petrovic>Nowitzki
so...:cool:

Crazy Fan From Idaho
08-15-2007, 04:12 AM
ARVYDAS

:)

Long live Sabonis.

obe31
08-15-2007, 07:45 AM
Both Paspalj and Divac aren't winners and have been lucky to play for the national team with Bodiroga and Djordjevic and Danilovic. They are the 3 Serbs that should come to mind. Kukoc, Radja and Petrovic of the Croats, Sabonis, Marculionis and Jasikevicius of the Liths and Papaloukas and Gallis of the Greeks (I haven't watched the former but have heard much of him). That's offcourse the late '80s and to date since when basetball has started getting it's modern appearence. All the rest are good and great players but not greatest material (Nowitzki, Stojakovic, Divac, Paspalj, Vujcic, Rigadeau,...). Navaro and Gasol are still undisided in my opinion and are between the two groups.
I would include Giannakis in the greek group. The great Petrovic said about Galis : "If you say I am the son of Devil well, Galis is the Devil himself!" If you havent seen Galis play you are missing something i tell you. That's why i am giving this link :
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Nikos+Galis in youtube. Check out the game where greece played against USSR...Galis 45 points, Sabonis 19 points..

Afraid
08-15-2007, 09:17 AM
I donīt want to start who is better Sabonis or Dirk, but the 1st sentence is not right. Look what Dirk had done with Germany at FIBA-Level. With a Germany who players played like Roller, Demirel etc. who are 3rd class players for europe.

Ok ok, sorry, forgot, i was meaning in the club bball. but really he did alot for germany NT.
second thing, my post was objective, nut subjective. Nowitzki really can only shot shot shot...and as i said its a good weapon, but he can be defenced, and if you take him out of shooting, he cant do nthing.
If sabonis was defenced at the basket (rare happened) then he can make an asist, or shot field goal or three pointer. Nowitzki have only option- shoot (i face it, he is doing this very very well).

Joško Poljak Fan
08-15-2007, 10:44 AM
second thing, my post was objective, nut subjective. Nowitzki really can only shot shot shot...
great... so all I have to do is grow up to 213 cm and than shoot the ball for 24/7, since you can become NBA MVP by your shooting skills only :rolleyes:
sure...
not denying Sabonis was a much more all-round player, but "he can only shoot" is a total understatement...

Buducnost PG
08-15-2007, 10:48 AM
great... so all I have to do is grow up to 213 cm and than shoot the ball for 24/7, since you can become NBA MVP by your shooting skills only :rolleyes:
sure...
not denying Sabonis was a much more all-round player, but "he can only shoot" is a total understatement...

And it doesnīt realy matter what somebody can do or not. Important is that he is sucessful with his type of play and Nowitzki is that.

Afraid
08-15-2007, 11:25 AM
sure...

well it would be a good start :D :D :D

seriuosly, all i said abt nowitzki it doesnt mean hes that bad, im only compering with sabas. he can pass like sabas, he cant dunk like sabas, he cant make hook shot like sabas, he cant rebound like sabas, he cant block like sabas, but he can shoot better than him ;) that what i want to say.

also i respect nowitzki a lot due to his patriotism and that he always play for his national team, and he is very hardworking, dont you think im not valuable him, i do. a lot.

kololoco
08-15-2007, 12:00 PM
I must admit that I also think that Dirk can only shoot. But it's not like someone here posted that that can be stoped because he is not a simple shooter but he shootes from running, from fade-aways, over hands, from all distances and with his 213 he moves like a 200 player. And that can't be found anywhere in the world. So yes he only shoots but he does it better tha anyone in the world. That being said... Arvydas is still better:)

seigle42
08-17-2007, 05:41 AM
Oscar Schmidt

Oscar Schmidt is southamerican man!

reignman
08-20-2007, 09:43 PM
this is a question that shouldnt been asked.... i mean COME ON! SABAS is a LEGEND. he was a monster of nature. a miracle....

kestas
08-22-2007, 07:01 AM
this is a question that shouldnt been asked.... i mean COME ON! SABAS is a LEGEND. he was a monster of nature. a miracle....

coincidentally, Noah Klieger, a famous Israeli basketball journalist, calls Sabonis better than Nowitzki in his latest podcast on fibaeurope.com
http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_qpPlti23J1YhQQuX0QJBw1.container_frontpage.ar ticleMode_on.html

videot
09-15-2007, 04:39 PM
I'm not sure all the posters in this forum have had the possibility (I'd say the privilege) of having seen both players playing in their prime as I've had. To me, even mentioning the two players in the same sentence is wrong. Even if we don't compare their winning records (a bit unfair to compair Sabas' USSR/Lithuania with Dirk's Germany) it didn't take a genius to realize that Sabonis was a step above anyone else on the court, and that he did things nobody else could do.

In addition to that, Sabonis had a quality as a leader that shone even in star-studded teams like the Soviet and Lithuanian NTs. Dirk on the other hand, despite being elected MVP of the NBA, is starting to get a label of fizzling when a leader and reference is truly needed.

As for the comment about Dirk being the best European ever that started the thread, allow me to quote these two unknown and possibly uninformed Americans:
- Scottie Pippen: "Sabonis was the best European basketball player to ever play the game"
- Bill Walton: "He was the greatest passing center of all time"