Gabe Norwood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gabe Norwood

yeah you heard it right! i got that news from a coach. He said, he'll be here in the country on or before June 15, 2007. Peace!
    I'm Living Life in the Fastlane

Originally posted by SkyWalker
    yeah you heard it right! i got that news from a coach. He said, he'll be here in the country on or before June 15, 2007. Peace!
    hmmnnn that's good news if he will be included as part of the team for the FIBA Asia Championship

Comment

I haven't seen this guy play, but from what I've read he is a very good addition to the Philippine NT.

Comment

so hat will he do here? will he apply for the PBA draft? or maybe test the waters of Philippine Basketball...
        You've got to have it to win it

Comment

not to doubt you, but you feel 100% reliable na itong balita na pupunta si Gabe norwood sa manila?

=========================================
          Anyone who wants to replace a coach because his dwarf team keeps losing against bigger teams is wishing for a miracle and should get a magician. A more practical solution is to get reinforcements unless one is content to wait a few more years in the hope that the dwarf players will grow wings and fly over their defenders. PBA reinforcements will not guarantee a championship, but it will guarantee close losses which is enough to make me happy.

Comment

Originally posted by pachador
            not to doubt you, but you feel 100% reliable na itong balita na pupunta si Gabe norwood sa manila?
            Dont worry man, MY SOURCE is 100% reliable. i know, if this one wont work,ill be the one to blame. But anyway, I trust him so much! But not yet sure bout his purpose on coming to the country. 2 reasons: PBL or NT and that's if he's not going to the NBA.
            I'm Living Life in the Fastlane

Comment

But wait... there's MORE!!!

This is a very good news. I'm having this feeling that after the results of the current Asian Champions Cup, PBA and SBP are now "somehow" alarmed on the current status of Team Pilipinas in the International basketball scene. I think that there will be more surprises on the current line up. Just wait and see...

Comment

Dont worry man, MY SOURCE is 100% reliable. i know, if this one wont work,ill be the one to blame. But anyway, I trust him so much! But not yet sure bout his purpose on coming to the country. 2 reasons: PBL or NT and that's if he's not going to the NBA.
                Fil-Am Norwood a long-shot for RP 5

SPORTING CHANCE By Joaquin M. Henson
                The Philippine Star 05/04/2007

National basketball team coach Chot Reyes said the other day it’s a remote possibility that 6-5 Fil-Am guard Gabe Norwood of George Mason University will suit up for the Philippines at the FIBA-Asia Championships in Tokushima, Japan, on July 28-Aug. 5.
                Reyes confirmed that Red Bull’s Enrico Villanueva will join the squad for the FIBA-Asia Champions Cup in Tehran on May 13-20 but left the door open for roster changes leading to the Olympic qualifiers.

Norwood, 22, showed up for four days during the national team’s recent two-week training camp in Carson City, California, and was impressive in his brief stay. He collected eight points and six assists in his only game with the Philippine squad, a 98-74 win over a US pro-am selection.

"We finally had a chance to see how Gabe fits in with us and from seeing his game, his work ethic in the weight room and court drills and his instant rapport with his teammates, I think he’s a great fit," said Reyes. Norwood said he’s willing to play for the Philippines but the decision will go through his new agent Jim Moughton of Miami. He will attend NBA free agent tryouts this summer.
                A plan to invite former Ateneo cager Japeth Aguilar, now playing for NCAA Division I school Western Kentucky University, to attend the Carson City camp was scuttled.

Reyes said no videos were taken of the Philippines’ games against NCAA schools California State at Fullerton and Long Beach State because of league restrictions. The nationals lost to Fullerton by three and beat Long Beach State by four.

The win over Long Beach State capped the team’s grind in Carson City with a bang.

"Long Beach State is the NCAA Division I Big West Conference champion and qualified for the NCAA tournament this past season," said Reyes. "After being down by 18 and trailing for 38 minutes, we managed to come back. They were bigger, stronger and quicker but our guys just never gave up. In our third practice of the day and our last for the trip, they found a way to win. Astig talaga."

Reyes said recent Manila visitor Alan Richardson of England is arranging a series of at least five games against Serbian Division I clubs in Belgrade in late June before the nationals play in the Qatar Invitationals on July 5-10 and a Manila pocket tournament on July 15-20 leading to the Tokushima joust.

Richardson said playing against rugged European players will toughen the Filipino cagers for the FIBA-Asia Championships.

"Europeans are bigger and stronger than most Asians and play a very physical game," said Richardson. "If the Filipinos can hold their own against the Serbs, it’ll be easy beating teams like Qatar and Lebanon which play the international style. I think the Philippines is competitive against China but I understand coach Chot is wary of the Koreans because they’re bringing in a new team."

The Tehran trip is a welcome bonus for Reyes and his charges. It was made possible by the PBL-Harbour Centre squad that clinched the ticket by winning the SEABA Champions Cup in Jakarta a few weeks ago. Second place wouldn’t have done it. Only the winner of the SEABA qualifier was entitled to represent the zone in the FIBA-Asia Champions Cup in Tehran.

Bagging the SEABA Champions Cup crown wasn’t easy and Harbour Centre rebounded from an early loss to Indonesia to whip the hosts in a grudge rematch for the title. It was an act of supreme sacrifice for Mikee Romero’s Harbour Centre to pave the way for the PBA national team to play in Tehran. That’s what you call teamwork – stakeholders working together and sacrificing for the national interest and the greater good.

Comment

Originally posted by ctongco
                  I haven't seen this guy play, but from what I've read he is a very good addition to the Philippine NT.
                  I did!!! Both in person and on TV. He's really good as a SG and as a SF. Although, coach Laranaga made him play as a back-up PG on his last season at Mason, but if you ask for my opinion about it. He's a little bit shaky when being pressured. In playing the (small) forward position, he's more of a swing man and not a post-up forward. A pretty dangerous individual on open cour situations because of his speed and flare.

I'm not sure if GMU took his stats away, but if it's still there, go to www.gomason.com . If not, try to go to the archives section. The last time I looked on it is after the CAA tournament.

Comment

Gabe will be gud addition if he'll play for RP team. Can play 3 positions on the floor. He cant play sa PBA coz as the rule says, he must play in the PBL or other leagues at least 25 games. so it means to say hindi pa siya maglalaro sa PBA. He might suit sa RP team and after the stint sa RP team he might play sa PBL for 1 full season at next year pa siya pa draft
                    Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

norwood is not the only one...

there's also another guy...

NICK STEPHENS

i heard that he'll play for the pba... dunno if he's a good player...

we have so many gud young, athletic and versatile players who plays the 2 and 3 position....

danny
                      j wash
                      k will
                      KG
                      norwood
                      arwind
                      DEVANCE(he's a natural 3)

average height more or less 6'6..

and they are the FUTURE!!! except danny.. hehehe

TEAM PILIPINAS will be a force to reckon in asia in abt 2-3 yirs... and will continue...

REGAIN THE GLORY!!!
                      LABAN PILIPINAS!

Comment

Originally posted by watiwawa
                        there's also another guy...

NICK STEPHENS

i heard that he'll play for the pba... dunno if he's a good player...

we have so many gud young, athletic and versatile players who plays the 2 and 3 position....

danny
                        j wash
                        k will
                        KG
                        norwood
                        arwind
                        DEVANCE(he's a natural 3)

average height more or less 6'6..

and they are the FUTURE!!! except danny.. hehehe

TEAM PILIPINAS will be a force to reckon in asia in abt 2-3 yirs... and will continue...

REGAIN THE GLORY!!!

Also a lot of 1's and 2's from the PBL. The likes of Intal, Lanete, Custodio, Cruz, Tang, etc.

Comment

that's a good news sir, well I think is a good player but I hope sir that your info is accurate. Because it will really boost the RP fans moral if that will be confim.

Another breaking news: KG Canaleta will replace Tony Dela Cruz this coming Seaba Qualifier due to injury yes it is confirm just visit Pba.ph for the article.

It's not who I am underneath but what I do that defines me... I'm the best there is the best there was and the best there it will be.

Comment

hello everyone....
                            im just new here and i hope this little info i have will help....

http://sportsline.com/collegebasketb...yerpage/441888
                            I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

-Michael Jordan

Comment

Altoona's Chris Buchanan caught the ball at the right elbow, took two dribbles to his right and proceeded to stride towards the hoop, the ball perched in his right hand. As Buchanan, Altoona's 6-foot-6 forward, extended his arm to lay the ball off the glass, State College's Gabe Norwood, stationed on the opposite wing, took flight.

Just as Buchanan released the ball, a soaring Norwood met him in midair, rejecting the Altoona big man's attempt at a finesse finger roll.

Upon landing, Norwood struck a body builder's pose, gritted his teeth and glared towards the Altoona bench as the ball caromed out of bounds.

"I was just trying to get our team back up," Norwood said. "They were going on a run and momentum was shifting."

The play, a mere blip during State College's narrow 39-37 loss to Altoona in this year's District 6 Class AAAA final, proved yet again what had become so apparent during the regular season: Norwood had grown into the ultimate difference-maker for the Little Lions.

The recognition is beginning to materialize.

On Monday, Norwood, a senior, took home most valuable player and top offensive player honors in the Mountain League's large-school division. Jordan Norwood, his younger brother, was voted the league's top defensive player. Today, they'll lead the Little Lions into the PIAA Class AAAA Western final against Altoona.

"He's been so consistent," State College coach Drew Frank said of Gabe.

The road to stardom has been a long one for Norwood, who traces his basketball roots to the basement of his grandmother's home in Maryland, where he would play epic games against his father, uncles and later, Jordan, on the six-foot Fisher-Price hoop.

Norwood's high school career began at Broadneck High near Annapolis, Md., where he was a 5-foot-7 reserve point guard during his freshman season.

Norwood played his sophomore season (2000-01) at Coronado High in Lubbock, Texas, after his father, Brian, left a football coaching position at Navy to take over as defensive backs coach at Texas Tech. He earned first-team all-district honors and was named newcomer of the year while playing for Bubba Jennings, who know works on Bobby Knight's staff at Texas Tech.

When his father took the safeties coaching position at Penn State in mid-2001, it was on to State College, where Norwood has averaged 11.7 points in 57 games over the past two seasons. A team captain this season, the 6-4 Norwood leads the Little Lions in scoring at 15.0 points.

"I've felt like I was at home after last season," Norwood said. "We have such a great group of guys."

But Norwood has shined brightest this season, his game carrying State College to new heights. His defense has been smothering, his offense explosive when it needs to be. He handles the ball like it's a yo-yo and he jukes more than a Wurlitzer yet is always under control.

"You could tell he had an awful lot of athleticism and skill," Frank recalls after seeing Norwood at preseason practice last season. "I think the area we asked Gabe to improve the most in that first season was on the defensive end of the floor. And this year, he's evolved into probably our defensive stopper going up against everything from a point guard to a large forward.

"Even where Gabe is this season, you take a look at his upside and it's through the roof. Everything from his on-court play to this leadership role. He's had a really focusing effect for the team, especially down the stretch."

And now colleges are starting to focus on Norwood, who says he's keeping his options open.

Several Division I universities has expressed interest, including the College of Charleston, Colgate, Lafayette, Rider, St. Francis (Pa.) and James Madison.

"If we can get by (today)," Frank said, "the eyes of the state will be on him come Saturday. And that will pique more interest."

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information