PDA

View Full Version : Johnny A. & The Charlotte Hornets

rhk111
07-17-2007, 01:52 AM
* I've read a couple of times in various threads here about the case of Johnny Abbarientos & the Charlotte Hornets back in the 90s. The story is slowly but surely becoming sort of an urban legend, & I think it is important that we try to clarify what really happened then.

* Am summarizing the inputs about the issue from various posts by liontamer, neueziel & Jay P. Mercado at the PEx forums last June 2007:

- The story starts w/ the hiring of an American named Jim Kelly by the Presto Tivoli PBA team as a consultant in 1992. Kelly had a pretty good basketball credentials, & I think also had a Pinay for a wife, so he was more or less at home w/ Philippine basketball. As luck would have it, a couple of years later, Kelly was hired by the Toronto Raptors as it's Asia Scout.

- Jim Kelly was instrumental in promoting the PBA back in the NBA. At that time, the Charlotte Hornets already had the 5'3" Mugsy Bogues in the lineup, & were looking for a back up Point Guard. Naturally, they would be open to players to within Bogue's height range, after all, they've seen what Bogues can do in the league. Kelly apparently tipped off the Charlotte Hornet's Scout Joe Betancourt about Johnny A.

- Betancourt did go as far as meet w/ Johnny, Fred Uytengsu (Alaska Team Owner) & Anton Montinola (Johnny's Manager) regarding Johnny's prospects of playing in the NBA. Johnny A's camp was informed during the meeting that if the Hornets do not get another pointguard by a certain date (presumably around the end of the trading deadline), they will formally ask the Johnny A. to a tryout.

- It was also made clear to Johnny A's camp that the Hornets were looking at a host of pointguards, not only outside the US but, more importantly, even among current reserves of other NBA teams.

- Luck was not on Johnny A's side, as the Hornets went out instead to sign the Chicago Bulls Guard BJ Armstrong as their back-up, closing the door on Abbarientos.

* NBA teams don't just hire anybody they like into the team. If a player is really promising, they usually give him an invitation for a TRY OUT. If they like what they see in the tryouts, then that's the time they negotiate for a contract, usually a short term one. In Johnny's case, though he was considered, he never got to the try out stage.

colt45
07-17-2007, 03:03 AM
* I've read a couple of times in various threads here about the case of Johnny Abbarientos & the Charlotte Hornets back in the 90s. The story is slowly but surely becoming sort of an urban legend, & I think it is important that we try to clarify what really happened then.

* Am summarizing the inputs about the issue from various posts by liontamer, neueziel & Jay P. Mercado at the PEx forums last June 2007:

- The story starts w/ the hiring of an American named Jim Kelly by the Presto Tivoli PBA team as a consultant in 1992. Kelly had a pretty good basketball credentials, & I think also had a Pinay for a wife, so he was more or less at home w/ Philippine basketball. As luck would have it, a couple of years later, Kelly was hired by the Toronto Raptors as it's Asia Scout.

- Jim Kelly was instrumental in promoting the PBA back in the NBA. At that time, the Charlotte Hornets already had the 5'3" Mugsy Bogues in the lineup, & were looking for a back up Point Guard. Naturally, they would be open to players to within Bogue's height range, after all, they've seen what Bogues can do in the league. Kelly apparently tipped off the Charlotte Hornet's Scout Joe Betancourt about Johnny A.

- Betancourt did go as far as meet w/ Johnny, Fred Uytengsu (Alaska Team Owner) & Anton Montinola (Johnny's Manager) regarding Johnny's prospects of playing in the NBA. Johnny A's camp was informed during the meeting that if the Hornets do not get another pointguard by a certain date (presumably around the end of the trading deadline), they will formally ask the Johnny A. to a tryout.

- It was also made clear to Johnny A's camp that the Hornets were looking at a host of pointguards, not only outside the US but, more importantly, even among current reserves of other NBA teams.

- Luck was not on Johnny A's side, as the Hornets went out instead to sign the Chicago Bulls Guard BJ Armstrong as their back-up, closing the door on Abbarientos.

* NBA teams don't just hire anybody they like into the team. If a player is really promising, they usually give him an invitation for a TRY OUT. If they like what they see in the tryouts, then that's the time they negotiate for a contract, usually a short term one. In Johnny's case, though he was considered, he never got to the try out stage.
i
dude, ano na naman ito ang tagal ng isyu nito,nakikita lang ng iba kung gaano tayo ka desperado.naman tama na to....::)

trans::D :D :D

andoks
07-17-2007, 03:26 AM
Well, that was history. Johnny A would have made a very good impression at that time, but not now, not anymore. Father time is fast catching up with him just like the rest of us. Right now, the Pinoy cagers that are showing a lot of potentials are Mark Caguioa and Gabe Norwood. If the team hurdles the Tokushima challenge and make it to the Olympics, then I think their chances of being noticed by NBA talent scouts would be greater, and so with the other members of the team, like spitfire Jimmy Alapag. Good luck to all of them.

bolabasket
07-17-2007, 03:51 AM
Well, that was history. Johnny A would have made a very good impression at that time, but not now, not anymore. Father time is fast catching up with him just like the rest of us. Right now, the Pinoy cagers that are showing a lot of potentials are Mark Caguioa and Gabe Norwood. If the team hurdles the Tokushima challenge and make it to the Olympics, then I think their chances of being noticed by NBA talent scouts would be greater, and so with the other members of the team, like spitfire Jimmy Alapag. Good luck to all of them.
The way Jimmy Alapag is playing today could make basketball scouts look twice.

rhk111
07-17-2007, 04:20 AM
i
dude, ano na naman ito ang tagal ng isyu nito,nakikita lang ng iba kung gaano tayo ka desperado.naman tama na to....::)

trans::D :D :D

I know this is an old issue. But I just want to clarify exactly on what happened between Johnny A. & the Charlotte Hornets.

Oftentimes in these threads, I always get to see this issue crop up every now & then, how Johnny A. was supposed to have been almost signed up by the Hornets.

I'm just clarifying things here: He was NOT almost signed up by the Hornets. They were interested in him, but he never got to the tryouts phase of the recruitment.

DiegoClang
07-17-2007, 04:52 AM
closed for discussion.
Thread closed:D

norwood
07-17-2007, 11:18 AM
I know this is an old issue. But I just want to clarify exactly on what happened between Johnny A. & the Charlotte Hornets.

Oftentimes in these threads, I always get to see this issue crop up every now & then, how Johnny A. was supposed to have been almost signed up by the Hornets.

I'm just clarifying things here: He was NOT almost signed up by the Hornets. They were interested in him, but he never got to the tryouts phase of the recruitment.

Now you disclosed the truth...I am confused..are you Johnny A Fan? :D

I Believed..Johnny A was once a great pointguard in the history of PBA..:cool:

rhk111
07-17-2007, 12:43 PM
^^^
Yes, I'm a Johnny A. fan, & I think he was a great PG in the PBA.

But, still, just wanted to keep the records straight. Just because I'm a fan, doesn't mean I want to sugarcoat his career.

snipes12
07-17-2007, 01:06 PM
johnny "the flying Aswang" abbarientos

jovani_pineda
07-17-2007, 03:37 PM
if johnny able to play with the hornets, i wish this duo, the great duo of hornets:

Robert Parish + Johnny Abarrientos = good basketball but will able to lose at jordan-pippen tandem.

Lebron23
09-09-2007, 06:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRqKTcG4H1s

Johnny Abarrientos is the Greatest Filipino PG of all time.

JOHNNY ABARRIENTOS

http://www.mypbl.com/images/abarrientos.gif

Even before the crossover dribble became a buzzword in basketball, there was one player who did it with amazing regularity. His name - Johnny Abarrientos.

Abarrientos burst into basketball prominence when he teamed up with Victor Pablo to lead Far Eastern University to the championship in 1991.

But even before then, Abarrientos was already a household name as a PABL player with Crispa under cage legends Bogs Adornado and Atoy Co.
After Crispa disbanded, Abarrientos joined Triple V, where he helped lead the team to back-to-back championships.

That eventually led to a stint in the PBA with Alaska Milk, where Abarrientos was a part of a championship dynasty in the 90s. In 199

PBL Website

1996 PBA Season Stats

71 Games

14.6 PPG
5.5 APG
5.3 RPG
1.4 SPG

Alaska Aces 51 wins- 21 loses ( Grandslam Champion)

http://www.geocities.com/maong69/pba.ala1996sta.html

1997 PBA Season

Johnny Abarrientos

16.7 PPG
2.2 SPG
6.0 APG
6.1 RPG
87.9 % from the Foul Line

http://www.geocities.com/maong69/pba.1997sea.html

onono1
09-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Aha :cool:

SkyWalker
09-09-2007, 12:46 PM
pls guys, lets respect the thread starter and the other forumers reading this thread. and pls post in english.:) thanks!

rhk111
09-09-2007, 01:24 PM
pls guys, lets respect the thread starter and the other forumers reading this thread. and pls post in english.:) thanks!

"..... Let's respect the thread starter ...."

Forgive me for being a bit dense & clueless here, but I didn't know what the insult was supposed to be about.

If Lebron23 makes a post about Johnny A. being supposedly the greatest Pinoy PG of all time on a thread I started saying Johnny's supposed NBA stint was a fluke, then that's his opinion.

An opinion I don't really share, since I don't feel comfortable knowing that the supposedly greatest PG the PBA ever produced was owned by that Qatari PG in the 1998 Asian Games.

KobeWanKenobi
09-10-2007, 12:12 AM
An opinion I don't really share, since I don't feel comfortable knowing that the supposedly greatest PG the PBA ever produced was owned by that Qatari PG in the 1998 Asian Games.

The problem with Abarrientos aside from his height is that he doesn't have a great mid or even long range shot. And thus he has problems playing against the zone in international competitions. Plus his relatively small height poses problems for him against taller opponents.

Point guard greats who would do better than Abarrientos in international competitions would be Ricardo Brown, Robert Jaworski and Ronnie Magsanoc.

bolabasket
09-10-2007, 01:45 AM
The only thing why the Johnny A - Charlotte Hornet rumor circulated was because the Hornets has a 5-3 player in their roster (Muggsy Bogues), which local scribes then believe if a 5-3 can play in the NBA, why not a 5-7 PG playing his best in the PBA...

Burndvinyard
09-10-2007, 02:02 AM
The only thing why the Johnny A - Charlotte Hornet rumor circulated was because the Hornets has a 5-3 player in their roster (Muggsy Bogues), which local scribes then believe if a 5-3 can play in the NBA, why not a 5-7 PG playing his best in the PBA...

Talks over the weekend were brewing about Norman Black recommending Jimmy Alapag to at least 2 NBA teams. Jimmy, if a good miracle opens its door for him, would at least spend a year's contract playing in the big league. Well, well...:rolleyes:

bolabasket
09-10-2007, 02:09 AM
Talks over the weekend were brewing about Norman Black recommending Jimmy Alapag to at least 2 NBA teams. Jimmy, if a good miracle opens its door for him, would at least spend a year's contract playing in the big league. Well, well...:rolleyes:
then we'll all be glued to the TV set when that time comes...

asapa11
09-10-2007, 04:43 AM
The problem with Abarrientos aside from his height is that he doesn't have a great mid or even long range shot. And thus he has problems playing against the zone in international competitions. Plus his relatively small height poses problems for him against taller opponents.

Point guard greats who would do better than Abarrientos in international competitions would be Ricardo Brown, Robert Jaworski and Ronnie Magsanoc.

if im not mistaken, the mid range shot was one of johnny abarrientos' specialty he would also score fade aways from that range, although i believe johnny a didnt have a decent 3pt shot.

rhk111
09-10-2007, 02:18 PM

I'd be awfully proud if Jimmy A. makes it AT LEAST to an NBA Training Camp. That's a big deal already.

But the thing is, we need to see him really go out & play in an NBA training camp. If not, then any news about him being considered by an NBA team is a bit dubious to me.

icthus22
09-11-2007, 03:16 AM
I think Jimmy Alapag will have problems on height and the very tough training in the NBA... but I agree that if jimmy will be considered even just for try-outs, it will give an initiative for other PBA players to do well...

PaulLee3
03-02-2020, 07:23 AM
He actually became a very good 3 points shooter. I played against him in an exhibition game back in 2018. And in the untv cup he was putting 25 ppg and 10 apg.

PaulLee3
10-19-2020, 05:26 AM
Just saw a highlights of Johnny Abbarientos playing in the untv cup. I think he had 8 3 pointers in that game. Saw him played in person back in 2017. He had 10 3 pointers against in towns player in an exhibition game. 3 points shooting in the nba and pba became popular after the Warriors won the championship in 2015. The Flying A was one of the best midrange shooters in the 1990's.

JAMSKIE
10-19-2020, 05:33 AM
Just saw a highlights of Johnny Abbarientos playing in the untv cup. I think he had 8 3 pointers in that game. Saw him played in person back in 2017. He had 10 3 pointers against in towns player in an exhibition game. 3 points shooting is just of an era. The Flying A was one of the best midrange shooters in the 1990's.

That's for a player who was known to have a suspect 3-pt. shooting during his PBA career. Although Johnny A's 3-pt. shooting somewhat improved when he was around in the late 20's, his 3-pt. shooting never came close to that of a Ronnie Magsanoc, Jimmy Alapag, Al Solis or even a Franz Pumaren. It seems Johnny A improved his 3-pt. shooting by a significant degree after his retirement from the PBA.

PaulLee3
10-19-2020, 08:03 AM
That's for a player who was known to have a suspect 3-pt. shooting during his PBA career. Although Johnny A's 3-pt. shooting somewhat improved when he was around in the late 20's, his 3-pt. shooting never came close to that of a Ronnie Magsanoc, Jimmy Alapag, Al Solis or even a Franz Pumaren. It seems Johnny A improved his 3-pt. shooting by a significant degree after his retirement from the PBA.
Yes, he is an assistant coach of magnolia and feu who are Good 3 points shooting teams. I think if Johhny A was born in 1994. He would have been a great 3 points shooter in the pba due to the influence of Stephen Curry and the Golden State Warriors. He is still a good dribbler. He had an ankle break the mvp of our town.