Belinelli impresses in the NBA Summer league

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belinelli impresses in the NBA Summer league

Marc Stein lists his favorite players in the NBA summer league and Belinelli's name is coming up quite a bit. (ESPN link)

My favorite import: Marco Belinelli
    It's simply impossible not to pick the Italian. He's become such an instant favorite with the Vegas crowds -- averaging 25.0 points through three games and generally commanding Best Player So Far status from coaches and personnel types in attendance -- that most of his misses from outside are met with a disappointed groan from fans.

Ever since that 14-for-20 shooting spree in Belinelli's 37-point opener, the locals apparently think that Golden State's No. 18 pick is supposed to make every shot.

"But he's not just a shooter," said one Western Conference executive. "Don't be mistaken. He had [Philadelphia's Rodney] Carney isolated at the top of the key, beat him with a super crossover and finished at the rim over two people. He's going to fit right into the way Golden State plays. And he's not as bad defensively as people thought. Philly tried to iso him a few times in that game and he did a decent job."
    My favorite shooter: Belinelli
    Belinelli's shooting has been one of the Vegas hightlights.

No contest. Again.

But I should note that my favorite rookie from the class of '06 -- Houston's Steve Novak -- just got here. And I haven't seen him play yet, because the Rockets' only game so far conflicted with Tuesday night's China-Knicks game.

So we'll see . . . although Novak (gulp) shot 1-for-7 on 3-pointers in his debut.

It's a big summer for Novak, too, since he barely played for Jeff Van Gundy after wowing folks in Vegas last summer with his ability to get his shot off and drain 3 after 3.

Novak again brings good size and a quick release to the desert. Every team in today's NBA, furthermore, loves the idea of a 6-10 forward who can stretch the floor with Novak-type range. Yet Novak knows he won't get more playing time next year, under Rick Adelman, if he can't figure out how to stay on the floor defensively. It hasn't happened yet.
    And from the San Francisco Chronicle (link):
    Warriors' top pick, Belinelli, makes a quick impression
    (07-08) 04:00 PDT Las Vegas -- So rushed has Marco Belinelli's schedule been the last two days that the Italian import easily could have sleepwalked through his Warriors debut.

Instead, Belinelli delivered his own wake-up call Saturday, scoring 37 points in the Warriors' summer-league opener, a 110-102 win over the Hornets, to trump the previous night's unveiling of Greg Oden and Kevin Durant.

Belinelli had by far the best showing of any player in going 12-for-17 from the field and 5-for-7 from three-point range. At one point, he hit nine straight to delight the early afternoon crowd and the Golden State brass on hand.

"I told you he could play," coach Don Nelson said.

Belinelli played all 40 minutes despite arriving in town just about 40 hours before. He took a 16-hour flight from Italy to Las Vegas on Thursday night, went directly from the airport to the team's hotel to change and get his ankles taped, then on to a two-hour evening practice at a local high school.

None of that wear-and-tear showed during his first summer-league appearance. After missing his first shot, Belinelli ended the first half by making nine straight, including five three-pointers that seemed to get deeper and deeper with every launch.

His longest shot looked to be about a 30-footer, which didn't surprise those who have been practicing alongside him for the last day and a half.

"I knew he could shoot," said swingman Kelenna Azubuike, who had his 29-point game upstaged by Belinelli. "He's a good player."

Belinelli's shooting spree was reminiscent of Stephen Jackson's lights-out, third-quarter run during the Warriors' series clincher against Dallas. The newcomer set a summer-league record with 24 points at halftime and came one point short of tying Keith Bogan's all-time mark of 38 points.

Golden State's first-round pick (18th overall) also showed off his ability to create contact and scoring opportunities, many times in the same motion. He repeatedly leaned into defenders only to step back and swish a jumper, though he admitted afterward that finding the same success in regular games will be difficult.

"We'll see in the NBA season," he said.

At the very least, the Warriors appear to have plucked an NBA-ready guard who should help fill the scoring void left by Jason Richardson. Belinelli, 21, already has five years of pro experience in Italy, and Saturday's debut offered a peek at how the Warriors plan to use him next season.

The 6-foot-6, 192-pounder ran the point on several possessions, showing a willingness to give up the ball, and would have had far more than the two assists he was credited with had more of his teammates' shots fallen.

"The one thing about Marco is that he's played against men, so he can come right in," said assistant Keith Smart, who is coaching the summer-league squad. "There may be an adjustment on defending bigger guys, but we have different defensive schemes to get by that. He's a basketball player."

Prior to his Warriors debut, Belinelli was best known to stateside basketball fans for scoring 25 points and hitting a clutch three-pointer to help Italy eliminate Team USA during the 2005 FIBA World Championships.

It "changed my life because I scored 25 points in that game against LeBron James, against Dwyane Wade," he said. "This is my moment."

Belinelli has another three years left on his contract with Climamio Bologna in Italy, but he has easily negotiable buyouts after every season. Belinelli's agent, Sam Goldfeder, said he expected his client to sign with the Warriors as soon as his buyout is finalized in the coming week.
    http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
    http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
    http://www.interbasket.net

the next coming of manu? and if so will he also bring an italian flair of the flop?
    "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

Comment

One of my best players in the draft.... I thought he'll end up in Phoenix...

I was hoping GSW will pick YI but from what im seeing right now... Marco is way better than this YI guy... I would love to see him on WE BELIEVE shirt...

Comment

i really think bellineli is like the next ray allen, he has a sweeeeeeett stroke, good athletisism (he could bulk up), and good handles...
        and gsw is my 2nd favrite team after toronto, so im pretty happy they picked him

we have seen the link to the game, and since obviously everybody are trying to get as many referrals as possible this cyberdunk links are getting a bit annoying. deleted... Matiz

^^^
        dang it, i thot i wouldve actually found a forum site without cyberdunk advertised on it...
        grrr...
        and ur welcome, i edited ur typo
        Last edited by bargnaniSOY; 09-03-2007, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X

Debug Information