PDA

View Full Version : Who will qualify for the 2008 Beijing Olympics?

ctongco
07-09-2007, 02:24 PM
Aside from the host nation, China, who will play well this FIBA-Asia Championship 2007 and qualify for the 2008 Beijing Olympics? Cast your votes and discuss your opinions here.

JET007
07-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Jordan, Lebanon, Quatar, and SoKor have good chances...but looking at the way RP team played against them in the Jones Cup:
RP vs. Jordan - close loss
RP vs. Lebanon - buzzer beater loss
RP vs. Quatar - 8 pt win
RP vs. SoKor - win

...i think we have a chance!:D :) :D :)

jovani_pineda
07-09-2007, 02:43 PM
i vote for lebanon, but i choose phil.!hehehe..
(lol, we need a lots of "stroke of luck" and "god's blessing)

saints13
07-09-2007, 02:53 PM
I predict, Philippines will win this poll :D

ctongco
07-09-2007, 02:59 PM
I predict, Philippines will win this poll :D

LOL. How many Filipino members does IBN have? :D Seriously though, I think the Philippines has a very good chance of winning FIBA-Asia Championship 2007 and qualify for the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

(My 500th post)

daniab
07-09-2007, 03:03 PM
i vote for lebanon for many reasons:

1-I'm a lebanese :D
2- I believe in our team , they can do it.
3-Our performance is very good to qualify for the 2008 beijing olympics.

daniab
07-09-2007, 03:04 PM
LOL. How many Filipino members does IBN have? :D Seriously though, I think the Philippines has a very good chance of winning FIBA-Asia Championship 2007 and qualify for the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

(My 500th post)
501 ;)

ctongco
07-09-2007, 03:10 PM
What's great about this year's Asian Championship is that many teams are sending strong teams and anybody can beat anybody. This is actually good for Asian Basketball. Perhaps if Asian keeps on improving more slots for the Olympics and WBC will be given to Asia.

These are the teams that I think are strong contenders to this year's Asian Championships.

Lebanon
Jordan
South Korea
Philippines

Out of the 4 I pick the Philippines. First of all I'm a Filipino. More than that I like the way they are balanced and conditioned.

daniab
07-09-2007, 04:01 PM
What's great about this year's Asian Championship is that many teams are sending strong teams and anybody can beat anybody. This is actually good for Asian Basketball. Perhaps if Asian keeps on improving more slots for the Olympics and WBC will be given to Asia.

These are the teams that I think are strong contenders to this year's Asian Championships.

Lebanon
Jordan
South Korea
Philippines

Out of the 4 I pick the Philippines. First of all I'm a Filipino. More than that I like the way they are balanced and conditioned.
I don't think south korea still the strong team like 2001 or 2003.

karim
07-09-2007, 04:21 PM
i think the levels between the teams this year is going to be as such :

1-Lebanon/RP
2-Jordan
3-Qatar/South Korea
4-Iran/Japan
5-Taiwan
6-Kazakhaztan
7-Syria
8-India
9-UAE
10-Kuwait
11-Indonesia
12-HongKong

I excluded china cuz i have no idea about them......

saints13
07-09-2007, 04:32 PM
i vote for lebanon for many reasons:

1-I'm a lebanese :D
2- I believe in our team , they can do it.
3-Our performance is very good to qualify for the 2008 beijing olympics.

as far as I can see, it's only you Daniab and Karim who are the active Lebanese forum members here, why don't you invite other basketball buffs in your country to log on here and join the fun :D

Onizuka01
07-09-2007, 04:39 PM
as far as I can see, it's only you Daniab and Karim who are the active Lebanese forum members here, why don't you invite other basketball buffs in your country to log on here and join the fun :D

Yeah i agree to that :)
Invite your Lebanese friends to join with you here
Its really been good for me reading your opinions and comments.
goodluck to your NT karim and daniab :)

saints13
07-09-2007, 04:52 PM
is internet a rare commodity in the Middle East? or they hate forums like these? seems like it's Filipinos who feast over the internet, just like what happened to the previous Ms. Photogenic of the Miss Universe (I forgot the name) she won through the most number of internet views (most probably by Pinoys), maybe it's our only link to our loved ones all over the world :D

anyway, kindly invite other nationalities here..or else..the poll will simply be lopsided won by the Philippines. :D

Phantim3dx
07-09-2007, 05:19 PM

(My 500th post)

congrats. post more like me and you're on your way to having no life and getting into e-thug fights on these threads :-)

Phantim3dx
07-09-2007, 05:25 PM

Lebanon
Jordan
South Korea
Philippines

I'll agree to these contenders...HOWEVER as much as I would like to see team RP win it...
1. i think they will run out of gas in being such a hard group, the grind will wear down on them as they go up
2. someone in a previous thread said RP Chot is keeping his cards up his sleeve and not playing his full potential...I'm not to sure about this. after the first loss, it seems like he is laying the full deck of cards for everyone to see, while other teams who are losing, but should be major contenders i.e. Qatar seem to be "complaining/whining" about their losses however IMO I think this is part of the tactic by their coach frot he upcoming ABC. Unless our main weapons are the players who haven't played much at all in the Jones Cup, I can't see too much of hiding things up our sleeves for the upcoming ABC.

saints13
07-09-2007, 05:33 PM
I'll agree to these contenders...HOWEVER as much as I would like to see team RP win it...
1. i think they will run out of gas in being such a hard group, the grind will wear down on them as they go up
2. someone in a previous thread said RP Chot is keeping his cards up his sleeve and not playing his full potential...I'm not to sure about this. after the first loss, it seems like he is laying the full deck of cards for everyone to see, while other teams who are losing, but should be major contenders i.e. Qatar seem to be "complaining/whining" about their losses however IMO I think this is part of the tactic by their coach frot he upcoming ABC. Unless our main weapons are the players who haven't played much at all in the Jones Cup, I can't see too much of hiding things up our sleeves for the upcoming ABC.

on my opinion, I still believe that some things aces are still hidden. :)

btw, it's hard for Coach Chot to have a "losing tactic for the RP team to be under the radar of the scouts etc." just like what your theory about the Qatar NT, because Coach Chot and the PBA itself can't afford to lose the support of the people (those people who only wants "W") in the homeland.

daniab
07-09-2007, 09:21 PM
is internet a rare commodity in the Middle East? or they hate forums like these? seems like it's Filipinos who feast over the internet, just like what happened to the previous Ms. Photogenic of the Miss Universe (I forgot the name) she won through the most number of internet views (most probably by Pinoys), maybe it's our only link to our loved ones all over the world :D

anyway, kindly invite other nationalities here..or else..the poll will simply be lopsided won by the Philippines. :D

If u check the members list,there too much lebanese in this forum but still not active,we as karim and me are the most active here,but from 1 year they were yarouni and El-khatib...
I don't want to named all the lebanese here :D but we will try to let the lebanese be here.

daniab
07-09-2007, 09:25 PM
Back to the topic,i think in my opinion ,the standing will be like that:
1-Lebanon/Rp
2-Rp/lebanon :D
3-Jordan
4-Quatar
5-S.korea
6-Japan
7-Kazakhstan
8-Taiwan

As karim said we don't have any idea about china NT so i didn't put their name in the standing but surely they are a amazing team.

saints13
07-10-2007, 03:34 AM
If u check the members list,there too much lebanese in this forum but still not active,we as karim and me are the most active here,but from 1 year they were yarouni and El-khatib...
I don't want to named all the lebanese here :D but we will try to let the lebanese be here.

how many are the Lebanese compared to the Filipinos? :D

rensquared
07-10-2007, 03:42 AM

I think RP and LEbanon will slug it out...

jiefangjun
07-10-2007, 04:00 AM
Aside from the host nation, China, who will play well this FIBA-Asia Championship 2007 and qualify for the 2008 Beijing Olympics? Cast your votes and discuss your opinions here.

Japan.

host+team play

saints13
07-10-2007, 04:30 AM
Japan.

host+team play

host+team play+referees=victory :) just kidding..

what happened to Japan NT when they hosted the WBC in 2006? they didn't manage to win, am I right? so I guess, they'll be redeeming themselves this coming FIBA Asian Championships. :)

apiSigbinz
07-10-2007, 04:49 AM
A pretty obvious question considering the number of Filipinos in this forum. Sir, maybe you can revise your title and make it the top four in FIBA who will play in the semis. It will still be biased though... hehehe here are my top 4 teams. Not actually the strongest teams in FIBA but the groupings will also contribute to the standings.

I think the top four will be (in any order) China, Taiwan, Korea, Philippines

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

VII
07-10-2007, 05:04 AM
this is just a popularity contest..
since majority of people here are Filipino
let the game actually speak for it self..

jiefangjun
07-10-2007, 05:05 AM
host+team play+referees=victory :) just kidding..

what happened to Japan NT when they hosted the WBC in 2006? they didn't manage to win, am I right? so I guess, they'll be redeeming themselves this coming FIBA Asian Championships. :)

I think they did pretty well in 2006 FIBA WBC. Almost beat new zealand(leading most of the game, and lost by a buzz beater). win an American team(forgot the name) convincingly.

Phantim3dx
07-10-2007, 05:25 AM
I think they did pretty well in 2006 FIBA WBC. Almost beat new zealand(leading most of the game, and lost by a buzz beater). win an American team(forgot the name) convincingly.

i dont remember at all the Japan NT winning against team USA in the WBC? they won against Panama.

PRELIMINARY ROUND
19 August 2006
A/1 Venezuela
Winning teamLebanon 72
82 Boxscore
Game report Sendai
(Japan)
B/1 Winning teamGermany
Japan 81
70 Boxscore
Game report Hiroshima
(Japan)
C/1 Brazil
Winning teamAustralia 77
83 Boxscore
Game report Hamamatsu
(Japan)
D/1 Puerto Rico
Winning teamUSA 100
111 Boxscore
Game report Sapporo
(Japan)
B/2 Winning teamAngola
Panama 83
70 Boxscore
Game report Hiroshima
(Japan)
A/2 Serbia & Montenegro
Winning teamNigeria 75
82 Boxscore
Game report Sendai
(Japan)
C/2 Winning teamGreece
Qatar 84
64 Boxscore
Game report Hamamatsu
(Japan)
D/2 Winning teamSlovenia
Senegal 96
79 Boxscore
Game report Sapporo
(Japan)
A/3 Winning teamArgentina
France 80
70 Boxscore
Game report Sendai
(Japan)
B/3 Winning teamSpain
New Zealand 86
70 Boxscore
Game report Hiroshima
(Japan)
C/3 Winning teamTurkey
Lithuania 76
74 Boxscore
Game report Hamamatsu
(Japan)
D/3 China
Winning teamItaly 69
84 Boxscore
Game report Sapporo
(Japan)
20 August 2006
A/4 Nigeria
Winning teamVenezuela 77
84 Boxscore
Game report Sendai
(Japan)
B/4 Japan
Winning teamAngola 62
87 Boxscore
Game report Hiroshima
(Japan)
C/4 Qatar
Winning teamBrazil 66
97 Boxscore
Game report Hamamatsu
(Japan)
D/4 Senegal
Winning teamPuerto Rico 79
88 Boxscore
Game report Sapporo
(Japan)
B/5 New Zealand
Winning teamGermany 56
80 Boxscore
Game report Hiroshima
(Japan)
A/5 Lebanon
Winning teamArgentina 72
107 Boxscore
Game report Sendai
(Japan)
C/5 Australia
Winning teamTurkey 68
76 Boxscore
Game report Hamamatsu
(Japan)
D/5 Winning teamItaly
Slovenia 80
76 Boxscore
Game report Sapporo
(Japan)
B/6 Panama
Winning teamSpain 57
101 Boxscore
Game report Hiroshima
(Japan)
A/6 Winning teamFrance
Serbia & Montenegro 65
61 Boxscore
Game report Sendai
(Japan)
C/6 Lithuania
Winning teamGreece 76
81 Boxscore
Game report Hamamatsu
(Japan)
D/6 Winning teamUSA
China 121
90 Boxscore
Game report Sapporo
(Japan)
21 August 2006
A/7 Winning teamArgentina
Venezuela 96
54 Boxscore
Game report Sendai
(Japan)
B/7 Winning teamAngola
New Zealand 95
73 Boxscore
Game report Hiroshima
(Japan)
A/8 Winning teamSerbia & Montenegro
Lebanon 104
57 Boxscore
Game report Sendai
(Japan)
B/8 Germany
Winning teamSpain 71
92 Boxscore
Game report Hiroshima
(Japan)
B/9 Winning teamJapan
Panama 78
61 Boxscore
Game report Hiroshima
(Japan)
A/9 Winning teamFrance
Nigeria 64
53 Boxscore
Game report Sendai
(Japan)
22 August 2006
C/7 Winning teamLithuania
Qatar 106
65 Boxscore
Game report Hamamatsu
(Japan)
D/7 China
Winning teamPuerto Rico 87
90 Boxscore
Game report Sapporo
(Japan)
D/8 Winning teamItaly
Senegal 64
56 Boxscore
Game report Sapporo
(Japan)
C/8 Winning teamGreece
Australia 72
69 Boxscore
Game report Hamamatsu
(Japan)
C/9 Winning teamTurkey
Brazil 73
71 Boxscore
Game report Hamamatsu
(Japan)
D/9 Slovenia
Winning teamUSA 95
114 Boxscore
Game report Sapporo
(Japan)
23 August 2006
A/10 Nigeria
Winning teamArgentina 64
98 Boxscore
Game report Sendai
(Japan)
B/10 Winning teamSpain
Angola 93
83 Boxscore
Game report Hiroshima
(Japan)
D/10 Senegal
Winning teamChina 83
100 Boxscore
Game report Sapporo
(Japan)
C/10 Australia
Winning teamLithuania 57
78 Boxscore
Game report Hamamatsu
(Japan)
B/11 Panama
Winning teamGermany 63
81 Boxscore
Game report Hiroshima
(Japan)
A/11 Venezuela
Winning teamSerbia & Montenegro 65
90 Boxscore
Game report Sendai
(Japan)
C/11 Qatar
Winning teamTurkey 69
76 Boxscore
Game report Hamamatsu
(Japan)
D/11 Puerto Rico
Winning teamSlovenia 82
90 Boxscore
Game report Sapporo
(Japan)
A/12 Winning teamLebanon
France 74
73 Boxscore
Game report Sendai
(Japan)
B/12 Winning teamNew Zealand
Japan 60
57 Boxscore
Game report Hiroshima
(Japan)
D/12 Winning teamUSA
Italy 94
85 Boxscore
Game report Sapporo
(Japan)
C/12 Brazil
Winning teamGreece 80
91 Boxscore
Game report Hamamatsu
(Japan)
24 August 2006
A/13 Serbia & Montenegro
Winning teamArgentina 79
83 Boxscore
Game report Sendai
(Japan)
B/13 Angola
Winning teamGermany 103
108 Boxscore
Game report Hiroshima
(Japan)
C/13 Winning teamAustralia
Qatar 93
46 Boxscore
Game report Hamamatsu
(Japan)
D/13 Slovenia
Winning teamChina 77
78 Boxscore
Game report Sapporo
(Japan)
A/14 Lebanon
Winning teamNigeria 72
95 Boxscore
Game report Sendai
(Japan)
B/14 Winning teamNew Zealand
Panama 86
75 Boxscore
Game report Hiroshima
(Japan)
D/14 Winning teamItaly
Puerto Rico 73
72 Boxscore
Game report Sapporo
(Japan)
C/14 Winning teamLithuania
Brazil 79
74 Boxscore
Game report Hamamatsu
(Japan)
A/15 Winning teamFrance
Venezuela 81
61 Boxscore
Game report Sendai
(Japan)
B/15 Japan
Winning teamSpain 55
104 Boxscore
Game report Hiroshima
(Japan)
C/15 Winning teamGreece
Turkey 76
69 Boxscore
Game report Hamamatsu
(Japan)
D/15 Winning teamUSA
Senegal 103
58 Boxscore
Game report Sapporo
(Japan)

jiefangjun
07-10-2007, 05:30 AM
Panama is a country in continent America, right?

PRSURF
07-10-2007, 06:03 AM
Panama is a country in continent America, right?
Yes:

http://www.planning.org/caces/graphics/prefacio01.gif

hehe

saints13
07-10-2007, 07:24 AM
how bout another title like this...

Who will qualify for the 2008 Beijing Olympics if Philippines is not included in the choices? :D

karim
07-10-2007, 09:35 AM
thats not a bad question since most members here are pinoys ,they will definitely say RP so u should delete this one and make another one like this but without RP included ...it would be more honest since 90% of themembers here r pinoys so its mostly ur decision......

saints13
07-10-2007, 09:37 AM
well, hopefully some Greeks, Israeli and Americans and other non-Asian forum members have to vote on this poll for some added flavor :)

jiefangjun
07-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Yes:

http://www.planning.org/caces/graphics/prefacio01.gif

hehe

where is Perto Rico in the map?

igorotski
07-10-2007, 11:05 AM
i think the levels between the teams this year is going to be as such :

1-Lebanon/RP
2-Jordan
3-Qatar/South Korea
4-Iran/Japan
5-Taiwan
6-Kazakhaztan
7-Syria
8-India
9-UAE
10-Kuwait
11-Indonesia
12-HongKong

I excluded china cuz i have no idea about them......

we'll update u about china B in the Manila Tourney

igorotski
07-10-2007, 11:10 AM
yeah as others say, this will jus turn into popularity contest. i dont think filipinos will vote for other teams.

ctongco
07-10-2007, 12:10 PM
yeah as others say, this will jus turn into popularity contest. i dont think filipinos will vote for other teams.

Then I think we should concentrate more on the discussions rather than the poll. :) . Let's discuss why you think this team will win or why this team will lose.

Anyway, since somebody mentioned a RP - LIB final what group phase scenario would have these two teams meet at the final?

karim
07-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Then I think we should concentrate more on the discussions rather than the poll. :) . Let's discuss why you think this team will win or why this team will lose.

Anyway, since somebody mentioned a RP - LIB final what group phase scenario would have these two teams meet at the final?

both teams placing 1st in their groups in rounds 1 and 2

ahmadad
07-10-2007, 12:44 PM
lebanon will not qualify to the olympics +>>>>>>+:) but also he will won asia this year

saints13
07-10-2007, 12:50 PM
lebanon will not qualify to the olympics +>>>>>>+:) but also he will won asia this year

I didn't get what you meant? :)

did you mean Lebanon will not qualify to the Olympics but they will win the FIBA Asia Championship this year?:confused:

ctongco
07-10-2007, 12:52 PM

Could you please explain this as I am confused with your post? Thanks.

daniab
07-10-2007, 01:52 PM

:confused: what do u mean ??

igorotski
07-10-2007, 02:07 PM
lol.
give me a 'w'
give me an 'h'
give me an 'a'
give me a 't'

what??:confused:

daniab
07-10-2007, 02:12 PM
lol.
give me a 'w'
give me an 'h'
give me an 'a'
give me a 't'

what??:confused:
HaHaHa,take it easy man.Boom :D

YAROUNI10
07-11-2007, 03:41 AM
I would like to think that lib will qualify , but i don't think we're strong enough this year , in the last Asian champ we had a great crowd that raised us when we were playing , also the competition is much higher know and with only el-khatib scoring on consistent base we will struggle offensively.

meloy
07-11-2007, 03:51 AM
i think wala masyado kmpuyuteyr sa lebanon tas wala smart bro dun kaya dalawa lang sila dito. wehehehehehe
dyok only...

translation... philippines will qualify while lebanon(and two other will qualify for the wildcard next year) be good there and lebanon will paly in the olympics, hehehehe

d'dreamer
07-14-2007, 03:08 PM
Pilipinas
Lebanon
Jordan

One of these teams will get the last spot aside from China in Asia for the Beijing Olympics. It will be very close one, we could even see some darkhorses like Japan and S. Korea. They could give rough game and a big headache for one of the teams I mentioned above before they can escape a win.
It will be an upset if one of these teams wont end up winning the last spot for the upcoming Olympics. These are the best teams in Asia right now aside from China.

saints13
07-14-2007, 04:11 PM
I think the FIBA Asia will pull a surprise...somehow away from the majority's expectations.. :D and I'm hoping that RP NT will pull through, if not, may the best team wins :)

Projectspeed
07-15-2007, 05:33 AM
I think:D the better title for this thread poll is this.....:D

"From what country are you?":D

igorotski
07-15-2007, 11:43 AM
I think:D the better title for this thread poll is this.....:D

"From what country are you?":D

bullseye!!!

ctongco
07-17-2007, 03:41 PM
bullseye!!!

At least votes will not be manipulated. :D . Peace. :D

igorotski
07-18-2007, 10:10 AM
i jus voted for Hong kong. lol.

ammaroro
07-20-2007, 03:18 PM
1. Jordan.
2. Lebanon.
3. Philippine.
4. Japan or South Korea.

macky
07-22-2007, 12:52 AM
1. Jordan.
2. Lebanon.
3. Philippine.
4. Japan or South Korea.

Uichico blasts Chinese coach
By Ronnie Nathanielsz

Barangay Ginebra coach Jong Uichico, who is also the assistant coach of the Philippine National Team under Chot Reyes, has taken issue with the reported comments of China’s “B” team coach Adiljan who recently claimed the nationals had no teamwork.

In an interview with Viva Sports/Standard Today, the normally soft-spoken Uichico said: “What is he talking about? We won the championship and China finished last.”

China edged the Philippines after Jimmy Alapag, who had hurt his elbow in the previous game, missed two free throws but lost to both Lebanon and Syria to finish last in the Four-Nation Smart Manila Invitational.

Uichico noted that the Philippine Team had only been training since March after its program was disrupted due to the ban imposed by the international governing body Fiba and the internal differences between the Basketball Association of the Philippines and the Philippine Olympic Committee while the Chinese teams have been playing together for years.

But Uichico said he was almost sure that China will make some changes in its “B” team which will play in the forthcoming Fiba Asia Men’s Championship which opens in Tokushima, Japan on July 28. The Philippines and China are bracketed together with powerhouse Jordan, which won the Jones Cup recently and Iran in what Reyes called “The Group of Death.”

China’s superstar Yao Ming will miss the Stankovic Cup and the team’s European tour in late August prompting coach Jonas Kazlauskas to say that “without Yao Ming, we are a different team and the warmups are not as valuable as I want.”

The China Sports Daily, which is the country’s official sports newspaper, criticized Yao for “being privileged” and taking too much time off to recover from a shoulder injury and always tries to skip the team’s training camp claiming he was recovering from injury. Yao responded by saying the criticism was “unfair.”

In the ongoing Fiba Under-19 World Championships, China won only one game in its group against Mali, a team which was described by Eurobasket as a “gang that couldn’t shoot,” 59-46. China lost to Serbia, 78-61; Brazil, 89-77; Lithuania, 85-66; United States, 103-77; and France, 106-57.

sickcurtain_16
07-22-2007, 06:47 PM
Just voted for our SEA friend, Indonesia. I wonder what their target for the games is.

Grr_tiger
07-23-2007, 03:21 AM
5 DAYS TO GO BAKBAKAN NA!!

TEAM PILIPINAS needs your prayers.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1303/821496526_57774d43c2.jpg