Florida Gators - NBA - International Basketball Connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Gators - NBA - International Basketball Connection

The success of Florida Gators in US NCAA as 2006 and 2007 champs is mainly attributed to its four illustrious players which includes international players Frenchman Joakim Noah and Dominican Al Horford.

I believe Chicago Bulls hit a jackpot in the recent NBA draft when Noah was still available when their turn to pick at ninth came. Aside from being a strong playoff contender, they landed one of the most promising young forward (if you saw him play in 2006 NCAA finals - he is amazing in that game) to beef its already formidable roster. With British Bulls Luol Deng and Ben Gordon in tow, with ever efficient Nocioni, with consistent playmaking of Kirk Hinrich and with choking defense of Ben Wallace plus the winning charms of Noah which surely will rubbed it with the rest of the team, I would expect the Bulls to enter NBA finals next season. The starting unit have already proven last season as they eliminate defending Champions Miami Heat 4 - 0, what more that they have Noah now. I commend GM John Paxson of assembling such a remarkable team that he even declined trade offers by Lakers of having Kobe Bryant.

Among Gators alumna, I would predict Joakim Noah will be the first to wear an NBA ring one day. . . and Olympic medal internationally. . . He is eligible to play for France in virtue of his father's French citizenship. In an interview with Draftexpress' Jonathan Givony he signifies an interest of playing for France. To quote him " The French National team is definitely something that has been in my dreams for a while. They used to talk to me a lot when I was playing with the Gators, but the Gators were my priority. I can’t be worried about what is going to happen in the future. If Al was worried about the Dominican team during the season, and Corey had his agenda about the NBA, and everybody had their agenda "

No wonder Tony Parker is more excited now of the prospects of France in 2008 Olympics. Imagine having 7 NBA players (Parker, Phoenix Suns' Boris Diaw, Seattle Sonics' Gelabale and Petro, Golden State's Pietrus, LA Lakers' Turiaf and Denver's Diawara plus Noah in their lineup, surely they would go far.

Speaking of Al Horford, I think Atlanta Hawks was made tailored for him. No serious conmpetition of his position power forward or center. He will surely logged more playing minutes as compared with Noah in Chicago. With much exposure he will develop his potentials to its foremost. Such potentials was also seen by Dominican Republic team that even the reluctant fellow Dominican Charlie Villanueva was enticed to play now for its national team if Horford will play. That would be exciting to watch, Horford - Villanueva frontline playing international ball not to mention its host of NBA players Sacramento's Francisco Garcia, the Latin Assasin and Orlando's Trevor Ariza. I think they would deliver in Americas tournament if they act early and play together.

I would love to see Noah's France and Horford's Dominican Republic in 2008 Beijing Olympics. As for the other two of Gators' illustrious four, Corey Brewer and Taurean Green they might have some success in NBA but I doubt if they will be selected to play for US team.
    Last edited by FilWelsh; 07-01-2007, 09:34 PM.

It's hard to consider Joakim Noah a true international considering he was born and raised in New York. Also Ben Gordon may have been born in London, but he was raised in the U.S. since he was an infant. As a matter of fact, Charlie Villanueva is also from NY.

Chicago has a really good team (though PJ Brown and Andres Nocioni are both FA), but they lack a true post scorer (and can probably use a little more size at the 2). While I like Noah, he really wasn't the answer for them, nor however, does this pick hurt them either.

Even with Al Horford, the DR still isn't better then Argentina, Brazil or Puerto Rico (arguably Canada and Venezuela too), so I doubt to see them in Beijing 08.

France is another story. They have good talent, but still need better shooters and a man to take over the team when needed (best bets Tony Parker, who hasn't always stared with the team, and Boris Diaw). And there is the possiblity that not all the Frenchmen in the L will be reppin' their national colors. If France's chemistry continues to improve, they have the tools to be a real force.

Of the UF players, I feel Corey Brewer has the most potential. NBA wise, defensively he is ready. He needs to improve his handle and get better at creating his own shot, but he has real talent. As for Taurean Green, I see him in Europe in the future.

I'm not sure if the Bulls will make it too the finals, but they will definitely be one of the elites in the east, which unfortunately doesn't mean what it used to mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Czarkazem13
      It's hard to consider Joakim Noah a true international considering he was born and raised in New York. Also Ben Gordon may have been born in London, but he was raised in the U.S. since he was an infant. As a matter of fact, Charlie Villanueva is also from NY.
      All three players mentioned above has shown intentions to play international ball.

Charlie Villanueva though born in New York is closely tied with his Dominican roots. . .

Horford considering DR bid

Al Horford said he's still considering an invitation to play for the Dominican Republic national team this summer.

The 6-foot-9 Horford was born in Puerto Plata, a resort town on the north shore of the island.

"I've considered it," Horford said. "When I've made my mind up I'll get together with the people and talk about the situation, when it's convenient for me to go there and play."

Horford said he's talked with Dominican countryman Charlie Villanueva, a forward with the Milwaukee Bucks who intends to play for the national team.

"Charlie and I have become friends," Horford said. "He's been recruiting me pretty hard."
      It shows that Charlie is interested.

Posted June 27, 2007 10:13:41 PMPermalink: http://brockblog.gainesville.com/def...37166TrackBack URL: http://brockblog.gainesville.com/utility/tb/?id=637166

I read the following excerpt from Ben Gordon's blog : "There has been some talk about Luol Deng having asked me about playing for the British National Team. Truthfully, I haven't really talked to Luol about it since the summertime. It is something I would consider. I wouldn't say yes or no right now, but it's something I would have to look at and see what the best decision for me is. That said, if the U.S. were to ask me to play, I would have to consider that as well. However, I like having my summers off and being able to work on my game, so if I didn't play for any of those teams, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world." So he is considering it.

Though Noah could be eligible for international competitions such as the Olympics or World Basketball Championships by playing with either the American, Cameroonian, French or Swedish teams, he seems to be leaning towards playing for France. "The French National team is definitely something that has been in my dreams for a while."This is what he said in an interview with Draftexpress Jonathan Givony.

To Czarkazem13, sorry if this response is quite rude to you. . .
      Last edited by FilWelsh; 07-02-2007, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FilWelsh
        All three players mentioned above has shown intentions to play international ball.
        Doesn't change what I stated. Noah considers his home NY. Like most NYers he's very proud of it. Actually, this sentence doesn't really address my statement. Ben Sahar, footballer for Israel (as an example), his parents threatened that he would play for the Polist NT (he has Polish roots) if he had to join the military. Yeah, he's eligible to play for Poland (he chose Israel and the government made a new law about athletes over seas), but he'd still be Israeli.

I have no problem for any of them playing for other nations, it improves the overall competition.

Charlie Villanueva though born in New York is closely tied with his Dominican roots. . .
        Never said he didn't.

[I]Horford considering DR bid
        Ok, but this doesn't have anything to do with what I typed.

I read the following excerpt from Ben Gordon's blog : "There has been some talk about Luol Deng having asked me about playing for the British National Team. Truthfully, I haven't really talked to Luol about it since the summertime. It is something I would consider. I wouldn't say yes or no right now, but it's something I would have to look at and see what the best decision for me is. That said, if the U.S. were to ask me to play, I would have to consider that as well. However, I like having my summers off and being able to work on my game, so if I didn't play for any of those teams, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world."
        Hum, ok... Point?

So he is considering it.
        Oh that? When did I say he wasn't considering it?

Though Noah could be eligible for international competitions such as the Olympics or World Basketball Championships by playing with either the American, Cameroonian, French or Swedish teams, he seems to be leaning towards playing for France. The French National team is definitely something that has been in my dreams for a while."
        Once again, I don't know what you are arguing. All this information you posted is pretty old.

To Czarkazem13, sorry if this response is quite rude to you. . .
        No, I'm kind of a dick myself, it's just the lack of comprehension that offends me.

You complained basically about me stating:

Originally posted by me
        You seem to have a problem with me stating my opinion based on facts and argue it by bringing up stuff that has little to nothing to do with it. I never said that any of those players weren't or shouldn't play for nations they have roots in, just that it's hard for me to consider them true internationals.

Comment

ok, i got your point . . . peace!

Comment

For Noah, he can choose still his Bball nationality: US, Sweden, French or Cameroun. Then, he seems more likely to got for France, but, I'm not sure he will as he still has no French passport. He is mainly American for me, far more than Kirksay who has lived for more than 5 years in French.

Ps: Dominican are often from NY i Bball it seems, as in France, the brothers Greer, playing as Dominican are also from NY.
            It's a bird? It's a plane? No, it's Rudy!

Comment

Working...
            X

Debug Information