PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Sasa Vujacic

stuart
05-24-2006, 12:59 AM
(Originally posted by Matiz, 03-26-2004, 11:14 AM)

Matiz
03-26-2004, 11:14 AM

How was the experience in the Chicago pre-draft camp last year?
SV: It was a good experience, but it's a little stressful for an European player like me. It was not like playing basketball. It was more like running and doing drills. It was not organized basketball like we play in Europe. It was making stuff for people who is there to see what you can do. But Chicago gave me a lot of positive things.

Who were the best players you faced there?

SV: I don't know. I know some of my teammates there now are playing in Europe. A couple of centers that were pretty good. I played against one of them the other day, in fact. I don't know. There wasn't one that really, really impressed me. It's not like when you see Michael Jordan play and you say "hey, what was that?" There were good players, but not one that I was really impressed with.

Are you going to the Chicago pre-draft camp again this season?

SV: I don't know. I'm not sure about that. My agent takes care of those things.

Is there any chance that you don't enter the draft this season and stay in Europe another year?

SV: I want to go, but I could stay. I want to go to the NBA when I'm ready. I want to be there to play. I'm not interested in going there and spend all the time on the bench and play just three games. Whenever I go, I want to go because they really want me and because I can help the team.

If you finally enter the draft, in which position do you expect to be selected?

SV: I'm not bothered about that like other players. It's OK if I'm a first-round pick. As long as the team wants me and I'm in a situation in which I can help my team, I'll be OK. I don't care about the position – if it's second or 20th. I just want to be on the right team, one team that I can help.
hoopshype's interview (http://hoopshype.com/interviews/vujacic_sierra.htm)

BallStorm
03-27-2004, 08:03 AM

Vujacic seems to be a cool guy. Not showing off . he made me a good impression as a person. As a player , it remains to be seen.

Matiz
03-28-2004, 12:35 AM

More I'm thinking, more I like him staying in europe making some impact, and than getting in nba... so he'd get some playing time and wouldn't just sit on the bench like Nachbar- but that depends from which team he'll get picked- we'll see.

J-Will2
03-28-2004, 09:09 PM

Nachbar has made quite an impact in Europe... How much an impact are we talking about?

I think he really has to be lucky...

Matiz
03-29-2004, 01:46 AM

They both are/were a good euroleague players, they are both tall for their positions Nachbar 206 (6'9- while he could be listed as 6'10) sg/sf and Vujacic 199 (6'6- should be listed as 6'7) pg/SG...

And if Nachbar is that bad really... what in the world do you expect from Monya and Hryapa than??????

Sorry- I'm really trying not to hype them but.... I just don't get it!!!!

worldbasketball
03-31-2004, 03:45 PM

Is there a deadline for applications?
Time is of essence.
Just how much time there is left for Sasa Vujacic to decide for or against

bboyes21
05-14-2004, 12:58 AM

I have heard Sacramento Kings are very interested if they can get hin in the draft. Can anybody tell me his strengths/weaknesses on offense and defense etc? Here in the U.S. it is hard to find out about these guys.

J-Will2
05-14-2004, 03:44 AM

He is a great passer and has good court vision, he is also very fast. He is a very good PG. For Europe, he is a great player, but IMO he's not ready for the NBA. He is physically weak(er than NBA PG's), so he couldn't defend well. Also, he's not a pure shooter.

I seem to have found more negative than positive points... ;) But don't let me mislead you; he is a great player and has great potential. He just has to work on a couple of things.

Matiz
05-14-2004, 05:46 AM

As far as I saw (he is playing in Italy so I can't see many games) he is really quick for 6'7- the thing that impressed me the most was that when his team got rebound everytime he took the ball over half court in 3 seconds max. Also Italian fans are saying he is a great clutch player.
As far as his long range shooting, his stats are not the best, but the games I saw he didn't have any problems nailing three pointer- some say his "low" 3point percentage is because of some forced shots.
He is really nice player to watch, since he is the true opposite of "ballhog", he doesn't hold the ball in his hands for too long- he shoots, drives or passes immediately and is not overeacting with dribling.
His biggest minuses- he is skinny (although Jamal Crawford doesn't look any better), his poor 3point shot selection, while playing Italian league means he is playing at higher level than in college.

Comparison with Jaric is correct with some differences, Jaric was much more experienced when he entered nba, but was already 24 at that time, while Vujacic is only 20 now and is also taller with 199cm he should be listed at 6'7 in nba (with his shoes on)

Virtuoso
06-28-2004, 11:40 AM

Hoops Hype interviewed Sasha again (http://www.hoopshype.com/interviews/vujacic_sierra2.htm) (http://www.hoopshype.com/interviews/vujacic_sierra2.htm%29).

Matiz
06-28-2004, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by Virtuoso
Hoops Hype interviewed Sasha again (http://www.hoopshype.com/interviews/vujacic_sierra2.htm) (http://www.hoopshype.com/interviews/vujacic_sierra2.htm%29).
Thanks Virtuoso ;)

He also said in one slovenian newspaper, Hornets, Denver and Portland were very interested in him untill he rejected the option to stay in europe for one or two years to develope.

Virtuoso
06-28-2004, 07:14 PM

What's your opinion on him stating that the Lakers will always come before the Slovenian NT? I was kinda surprised by that abit.

J-Will2
06-28-2004, 10:44 PM

Los Angeles selected Sasha Vujacic with the 27th pick in NBA Draft 2004 on Thursday. Vujacic played for Snaidero Udine in Slovenia in 2003-04.

:rolleyes:

Matiz
06-29-2004, 03:45 AM

Originally posted by Virtuoso
What's your opinion on him stating that the Lakers will always come before the Slovenian NT? I was kinda surprised by that abit. I understood it that he'll focus on just and only Lakers now, since if he won't get some name and minutes in the first two years his career in NBA would be finished no matter how good he would be eventually. So imo it's only right thing for him to prepare himself to fight to crack into rotation... later on, he'll play for our NT- I don't even worry about that... or even better said: Our NT doesn't suffer from one player missing- but from loosing games against unanimous teams and countries. Just by the names our NT is probably no.2 or no.3 in europe, so we have enough players to replace Vujacic- but I guess you can't win just with the names... :D

Matiz
07-06-2004, 03:20 PM

Also: Sasha Vujacic, the Lakers' first-round draft pick, is expected to sign his rookie contract today and will be introduced at a 1 p.m. news conference. Under the NBA's rookie scale, the 6-foot-7 guard from Slovenia is eligible for a three-year contract worth about $2.28 million.

stuart
05-24-2006, 01:24 AM
Matiz
07-07-2004, 02:18 PM

http://sports.iwon.com/news/07062004/v0358.html

We started watching him two years ago," Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said. "He's a ball-handling guard. He's a good shooter - maybe even better than a good shooter. He likes to have the ball in his hands. We can vision him leading the fast break. He has a flair for the exciting, which we like to see.

"He does know how to play. I think our players will enjoy playing with him and our fans will enjoy watching him. He is young. It may take a year or two. We think it's worth waiting for."

J-Will2
07-07-2004, 11:05 PM

Hmph... Nothing about his height... I don't like that at all :(

He would have it great with PJ being the coach...

Dave

mvblair
07-08-2004, 09:39 AM

They mention his height earlier in the article. :p

Here is a picture of Sasha (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo?slug=carf10207062210.lakers_vujacic_carf102&prov=ap) with his new uniform and new number.

From everything that the Lakers organization has said, Sasha is ready to start dishing out assists. Will he start for the Lakers??

Matt

Matiz
07-08-2004, 01:09 PM

Will he start for the Lakers?? of course he will... I mean Lakers only have a guy named Kobe Bryant at SG...(never even heard of him)...:D:D

It depends on who Lakers will keep, but next year Sasa will be coming off the bench- expecting anything else would be way too unrealistic GP is a lock at PG- and as I said in some previous posts, I believe his career is not declining yet (although I'd love that because of Sasha), and his nba position is still not clear: PG or SG?- but hopefully in few years Vujacic has all he needs to become a starter. Phil Jackson would have loved a pg like Sasha, now it all depends on how the new coach will rebuild the team and which tactics will he use.

mvblair
07-08-2004, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by Matiz
It depends on who Lakers will keep, but next year Sasa will be coming off the bench- expecting anything else would be way too unrealistic GP is a lock at PG- and as I said in some previous posts, I believe his career is not declining yet (although I'd love that because of Sasha)
I keep forgetting about that silly GP.

Matt

Marco Mitis
07-13-2004, 01:59 AM

Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak have been so many times in Udine (Slovenija :D ) in the last 2 seasons that he should have rent a house there.
He have gone to see the team training and have been reported that he has directed Sasha in one session.

So he seems to know well who he has drafted. If Sasha will have minutes, he'll do well.

The guy is phisically slim but quick. And most of all is mentally strong. I love him. Always have since the 1st time I saw him play in Udine, and he was only 17.

Playing against very experienced players 30' per game, like he did in the Italian league, gave him more experience that his age could make you think.

Go Sasha.
vBulletin v3.0.8, Copyright 2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.