• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 FIBA/NBA BWB Asia Camp [Jun 8-11 Shanghai, China]

NBA/FIBA Basketball Without Borders Asia
    June 8-11 Shanghai Sports Institute, China

Coaches:
    Josh Childress, Matt Bonner, Pat Garrity, Richie Frahm, Samuel Dalembert, Ha Seung-Jin, Sam Perkins, Jerome Williams, Mike Wilhelm (CHI), Hank Egan (CLE), Tom Abdenour (GSW) and Dean Cooper (HOU)

Camp roster has also been named. http://www.nba.com/bwb/participants_asia2006.html
    *=also played in the Adidas camp
    China:
    31 Sui Yan SG 6'5'' 192lb 1989
    74 Su Wei C 7'0'' 216lb 1989 *
    (mistakenly listed as Wang Zheng 1990, another 7-footer)
    62 Tian Yuchen SF/PF 6'9'' 194lb 1992
    32 Wu Nan PG 6'5'' 189lb 1989
    45 Zhang Chuyang SF 6'7'' 210lb 1990
    56 Wang Junjie SF 6'7'' 196lb 1990
    63 Zhang Yongpeng C 6'9'' 216lb 1990 *
    64 Han Dangjian C 6'9'' 221lb 1988
    53 Yan Jin SF 6'7'' 194lb 1988
    72 Xu Jinlong C 6'11'' 232lb 1990 *
    33 Zhang Bo PG 6'5'' 190lb 1989 *
    08 Zhang Chaolong PG 6'2'' 181lb 1989 *
    54 Li Jingyu 6'6'' 1991
    55 Qu Zhenjie 1989

Chinese Taipei:
    09 Cheng Jen-Wei SF 6'3'' 172lb 1987.4.6
    34 Chien Chia-Hung PF 6'5'' 225lb 1987.3.6

Hong Kong:
    35 Szeto Wai Kit PF 6'5'' 225lb 1987.6.6

Malaysia:
    41 Yoew Kee Aik PF 6'5'' 190lb 1988.12.21

Singapore:
    01 Wong Wei Long PG 5'8'' 166lb 1988.8.18 *

Korea:
    66 Bang Kyeung Soo C 6'9'' 227lb 1987.1.9
    05 Park Jae Hyun SG 6'1'' 177lb 1987.4.27
    04 Kim Tae Joo PG 6'0'' 161lb 1987.8.6
    52 Hong Su Hwa PF 6'5'' 212lb 1987.11.4
    30 Park Hyung Chul PG 6'4'' 181lb 1987.12.19
    67 Kim Jin Soo SF 6'9'' 190lb 1989.5.11
    06 Park Yoo Min PG 6'1'' 190lb 1988.4.2

Japan:
    11 Takumi Ota PG 6'3'' 203lb 1987.1.4
    38 Ryumo Ono PF 6'5'' 201lb 1988.1.6
    39 Motoshi Shimada PF 6'5'' 225lb 1987.5.7

Iran:
    70 Asghar Kardoust Poustinsaraei
    02 Milad Mohammed Mazraeh Farahani PG/SG 5'11'' 155lb 1988.11.10
    37 Mohammed Reza Ebrahimi Nia PF 6'5'' 192lb 1988.9.5
    42 Nema Bakhshi Tilenhoei PF 6'5'' 210lb 1989.7.26

Iraq:
    73 Malik F. Nahi C 6'11'' 210lb 1988.1.1

Jordan:
    60 Ali Jamal Zaghab PF 6'8'' 203lb 1988.6.3

Lebanon:
    07 Imad Saade PG 6'1'' 186lb 1987.1.6
    61 Marwan Ziade SF/PF 6'8'' 203lb 1987.2.10
    44 Patrick Bou Abboud SF/PF 6'6'' 241lb 1987.7.24

Kazakhstan:
    28 Ilya Koptelov SG 6'4'' 161lb 1988.9.29
    29 Maxim Voeyikov SG 6'4'' 179lb 1988.9.13
    71 Anton Ponomarev PF/C 6'10'' 221lb 1988.10.31
    65 Konstantin Marzan C 6'9'' 203lb 1988.5.12
    43 Dmitriy Klimov SF 6'6'' 198lb 1988.9.5

Kyrgyzstan:
    58 Nail Gafarov PF 6'7'' 210lb 1988.7.10
    59 Aziz Halmurzin SF/PF 6'7'' 216lb 1988.3.17
    68 Yuriy Kistanov SF 6'9'' 210lb 1988.5.26

India:
    57 Kaushal Ravi Kumar PF 6'7'' 210lb 1987.12.16
    35 Sukhbir Singh Dhillon SF 6'5'' 205lb 1988.2.7
    10 Aditya Asghar Biswas SG 6'3'' 165lb 1988.9.16
    And Philippines is again conspicuously absent....And I didn't know Kyrgyzstan is a basketball powerhouse!

The players from China are not as good as in the last edition, however, there are still a few talents. Tian Yuchen (you should always read the listed age with a grain of salt) is supposed to grow over 7-foot and was hand-picked by the US Basketball Academy to train in their Big Men Camp in Oregon that also featured Shagari Alleyne, last summer. Li Jingyu also trained in USBA for 6 months and received good reviews. Zhang Chuyang, an athletic slasher is the MVP of China's Jr. NBA League, and Yan Jin is a 6-7 point guard.

Of the other players, Kim Jin-Soo of the Korean NT will probably take away the MVP honor in his second appearance. I hardly know about the other players, but Kazakhstan NT player Anton Ponomarev had been mentioned as a potential NBA prospect.
    Last edited by sinobball; 06-14-2006, 03:51 PM.
    aim low, score high

interesting...kim jin soo selected again, unfortunately he'll be training with the Korea NT so i wonder if he'll make it out to BWB

Comment

"And Philippines is again conspicuously absent...."

please enlighten me by this statement sinoball. im interested in your point of view on perhaps why. negative or positive comments i dont care i myself wonder about this too and you seem to be the expert in asian basketball in these boards.
      "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

Comment

Well, isn't Philippines banned from any FIBA activity? See the deal is a country's basketball association needs to pay FIBA $$$ to participate in FIBA events and Philippines has yet to decide on its organizing body.
        aim low, score high

Comment

has the philippines even participated in this activity in the past? it's just that i've never heard of it before.
          Jarinx Basketball @BuzzerBeater.com
          http://www.buzzerbeater.com/team/107143/overview.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by jramoyo
            has the philippines even participated in this activity in the past? it's just that i've never heard of it before.
            Yes, the Philippines sent two youngster last year: Jervy Cruz 193 and Rogermar Menor 190.
            aim low, score high

Comment

Originally posted by sime0n
              interesting...kim jin soo selected again, unfortunately he'll be training with the Korea NT so i wonder if he'll make it out to BWB
              Korea NT starts training on June 15, so he and Ha Seung Jin will be in this camp.

However, I'm not so if Yao Ming wil be present. His agent Eric Zhang said he would return to China in mid-June, after finishing a commercial (I wonder what?) shot in Hawaii.
              aim low, score high

Comment

As expected, Yao Ming is not there, but everyone else showed up. The players are divided into 4 teams. Updates will be made in this post.

Some photos below are by "perfectionist", a student in the Shanghai U. of Sports.

Update (by "mp4", a friend of mine who works for NUsports, a sponsor of the camp. Not many people can gain access to the camp after the 2nd day)
                In the morning I talked to the camp director, also assistant coach of the Rockets (Dean Cooper). Among the Chinese players he's more impressed with #32 Wu Nan from Jiangsu and Wang Zheng from Guangdong. Wu Nan played PG in the camp, and so his height and weight completely outmatched the other point guards. Wang Zheng's fundamentals are still shaky (especially the way he shoots), but he's really strong, which presented a lot of trouble for his defenders. On one occassion, he was being double teamed, with the fat guard #6 from Korea (Park Yoo Min) all over him. Wang Zheng basically worked on his strength, and #61 from Lebanon behind him (Marwan Ziade) fell on the floor and #6 was thrown out for a few feet! Wang Zheng is also very fast among big men, a good shotblocker although he did allow many second chance attempts.

I've watched the games carefully. Among Chinese players I find Sui Yan to have the best basketball smarts and confidence at shooting, but he didn't shoot much. Among point guards, #4 from Korea (Kim Tae Joo) and #1 from Singapore (Wong Wei Long) were quite impressive. Among the big men, #71 from Kazakhstan (Anton Ponomarev) and Wang Zheng from China stood out. Really impressive was #67 from Korea (Kim Jin Soo), really skinny, but nice athleticism and a soft touch, also has very good basketball IQ, he's 6-9. During fast breaks, he knows where to run, and he also does a good job at sharing the ball. But his biggest weakness seems to be lack of strength.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by sinobball; 06-10-2006, 07:37 PM.
                aim low, score high

Comment

pics

Comment

pics from day 2. this one is of kim jinsoo and ha seung-jin..pretty cool

Comment

The camp ended today. Nail Gafarov from Kyrgyzstan was the All-Star Game MVP, while Dmitriy Klimov from Kazakhstan took home the camp MVP honor.

All-Star Game roster (*-starters)

Mavericks(purple)
                      Coaches: Sam Perkins, Mike Wilhelm
                      1 Park Yoo Min Korea PG 6'1''
                      2 Imad Saade Lebanon PG 6'1''
                      6 Takumi Ota Japan PG 6'3'' *
                      7 Ryumo Ono Japan PF 6’5’'
                      8 Hong Su Hwa Korea PF 6’5’’ *
                      9 Dmitriy Klimov Kazakhstan SF 6’6’’ *
                      11 Aziz Halmurzin Kyrgyzstan SF/PF 6'7''
                      12 Ali Jamal Zaghab Jordan PF 6'8''
                      13 Konstantin Marzan Kazakhstan C 6'9'' *
                      14 Xu Jinlong China C 6’11’’*

Heat (white)
                      Coaches: Hank Egan, Jerome Williams
                      1 Wong Wei Long Singapore PG 5’8’’
                      2 Aditya Biswas India SG 6'3''*
                      6 Maxim Voeyikov Kazakhstan PG/SG 6'4''*
                      7 Wu Nan China PG 6’5’’
                      8 Kim Jin Soo Korea SF/PF 6’9’’
                      11 Patrick Bou Abboud Lebanon SF/PF 6'6''
                      12 Nail Gafarov Kyrgyzstan SF 6'7''*
                      13 Anton Ponomarev Kazakhstan PF/C 6'10''*
                      14 Malek Nahee Iraq C 6'11''
                      15 Su Wei China C 7’0’’ *

"Hayato" or Allen Jiang, a basketball fanatic wrote such a great report on the All-Star Game that I'm translating it here:
                      [All-Star Game Report
                      by Allen Jiang

Chinese players

The starting centers on opposing teams were both Chinese. Guangdong's Su Wei of the white team was previously erroneously listed as his Guangdong fellow big man Wang Zheng. In the first half he first used his strength to draw a foul, then had an and-1 play on a spin move under the basket. Surprisingly he played aggressively, maybe because all the other players are too young and skinny. Later he tried a tip-in dunk during a fast break but was fouled by #6 Takumi Ota. Shortly after he was substituted by 6'1" Malek Nahee from Iraq. At half time his white team led 28-26.

He again started in the second half. His first shot was blocked by 6'8"Ali Jamal Zaghab from Jordan, and another spin move was whistled as travel. Still he kept asking for ball with his hands raised, and earned another chance, which he made and drew an additional foul. Later he rested briefly but came back again with 8 minutes to go. Soon he had an offensive board and made the shot for 2 points.

After that the game became a one-man show involving Imad Saade of the purple team, who single-handedly widened the margin to 61-55 with 30 seconds to go, when the white team started to foul. With 6 seconds to go, Kim Jin Soo from Korea of the white team made the 3-pointer to get his team back within three, 61-58. Then the purple team converted both free throws after a foul. During the last offensive play, Su Wei stood at the 45 angle on the right side, and when all defenders were chasing the Koreans snipers the ball fell on his hands. He tried a desperate three but unfortunately missed the shot, as the purple team beat the white team 63-58. Su Wei looked much improved since the last time I saw him (in a tournament in November), much more aggressive, but his main problem is still his defense. His slow feet are causing him foul problems, and he also needs to protect the defensive board better.

Of the purple team, big man Xu Jinlong from Bayi team has a great body, but appears a little weak battling Su Wei. In the first half he had a nice pass to the weak side creating an open shot for his teammate. He also had a reverse layup showing his agility and footwork. The purple team then benched all their starters. In the second half he scored 2 points on a layup, but on the next play he had a turnover. After 8 minutes all starters were benched again. In general Xu Jinlong did not impress like Su Wei did, but he played decently.

Another Chinese player in the game was Wu Nan from Jiangsu, playing for the white team. I was quite impressed by him, since he plays position 1 with a 6'5 height. During the warm-ups I was already watching him, a tall player who handles the ball well with either hand. The first time he touched the ball he drove and earned two free throws. A few minutes later the game became a back-and-forth two-men contest between him and Imad Saade of the purple team. Rather than passing the ball, both attempted to drive by themselves, except Wu Nan didnft make as many layups. In the second half he also got into the game after only a few minutes, but had a few turnovers and fouls at first. He soon adjusted, and had a nice drive thanks to his quick first step. From these plays I see that he's pretty strong, and can probably even play PF in this camp. He's a great ball handler, but his weakness appears to be he's too selfish (maybe he wants to win the MVP award?) for a point guard, and not always finishing his layups.

Other players

My personal MVP is the 6'1" point guard from Lebanon, Imad Saade of the purple team. This guy can really penetrate, has great handles, and it seemed like fouling was the only way to stop him. In the first half we saw him and Wu Nan go at it back and forth. In the second half, it was him who ended the scoring drought with his points. First he drove for a bucket, then he served an alley-oop to Dmitriy Klimov, but Klimov missed the dunk. Then he drove the whole court during a fast break for 2 points, and later dished to Ryumo Ono for a long range 2-point bomb. He played even better late into the game, essentially unstoppable, and all the spectators including the foreign media persons all cheered for him. His only mistake in the second half was missing both foul shots in the last 30 seconds when the white team intentionally fouled him, thus giving the Korean shooter a chance to catch up by making the three.

The MVP of the camp was given to forward Dmitriy Klimov of Kazakhstan (a Yao Ming #11 All Star jersey was the prize), but during the game he didn't play particularly well. His best performance was a great block that showed everyone his athleticism, but on the offensive end he really struggled (maybe because he was too skinny?) In the first half he had one tomahawk dunk in a fast break, but during the second half one of his layups was blocked by 5'8" Wong Wei Long from Singapore (Klimov is 6'6"). Although a foul was called, that was a little embarrassing. I assume he played well in the first few days of the camp.

The MVP of the All-Star Game went to forward Nail Gafarov from Kyrgyzstan. When the game started, he had a nice behind the back pass to his teammate during a fast break. In the second half he had the first points for his team, a 3-pointer. Other than that I don't remember much about him. Obviously to me, Saade was much more impressive.

Among the guards, the starting point guard for the purple team was Takumi Ota from Japan. He has really fast feet and a great court vision during fast breaks. He also handled the tempo well.

The starting point guard for the white team was Maxim Voeyikov, who wore black elbow pads on both arms. He's not particularly fast, but is very smart. He had some easy layups when the paint was empty, and in the second half had a nice assist to #13 Anton Ponomarev for a dunk.

Off the bench for the white team was Wong Wei Long, a point guard from Singapore. Of course he drew a lot of attention because he's only 5'8", 3 inches shorter than the next shortest guard. Wong's dribbles are so low that they appear to be stuck on his hands. He's a great passer, had one full court pass to his teammate for an easy layup, and also had a few nice dishes off the dribble. The fans went wild after he chased and blocked Klimov's layup. However, he doesn't appear to have any spectacular speed, which will likely limit his development.

For the purple team, point guard Park Yoo Min from Korea also played well. As soon as he came off the bench he used his speed and was fouled hard on the layup attempt, which every spectator heard. Then he had a great dish off the dribble, and another crowd-pleasing no look pass. He didnft play much in the second half.

Shooting guard Aditya Biswas from India was a starter for the white team, but he was a little nervous and didn't get much play time. He appeared very skinny, almost undernourished.

Among forwards, Kim Jin Soo from Korea of the white team is someone to pay attention to. He's only 17, going to high school in the US (Note: Nationally ranked South Kent Prep in California), and this year became the youngest player ever to make the Korean National Team (training camp). He is playing SF with the height of a PF, but still has an excellent touch and good speed. In the second half he had a nice offensive rebound, showing his long wingspan. Six seconds before the game he played point guard and made an important 3 pointer, which was his play of the day.

Japan's Ryumo Ono of the purple team played the PF position at a height of 6f5ff. He was blocked in his first attempt, and before half time was rejected again by Nail Gafarov. After that he didnft get any chance.

His Korean teammate Hong Su Hwa is also 6-5 but plays SF. He had a great catch and shoot three, looking like a pure shooter. In the last 6 seconds he calmly sank both free throws and sealed the victory.

Starter of the white team, power forward Anton Ponomarev from Kazakhstan had an and-1 play and a dunk in the second half.

My feeling is the overall level of competition is not very high. Still the players from Central Asia are pretty good, but given the level of how good they really are remains to be seen.

Three point shootout

This contest used a time limit of 30 seconds, there were 3 spots on the arc, 4 shots per spot, the last shot counts as 2 points. Two players compete in two halves simultaneously in groups, which makes it difficult for me to watch…

In the first round #5 of the white team, Park Jae Hyun from Korea beat his opponent to advance. #31 from China Sui Yan and #30 Park Hyung Chu (with glasses) were in the second group, the Korean guy made only 3 shots but miraculously advanced (Maybe I got the wrong guy…somebody wearing glasses advanced). In the third group Wu Nan shot an air ball with his first shot, and his release were so slow they looked like those big men. Just when I thought he would not excel in this, he started hitting, and eventually advanced with 7 points. Unfortunately in the next round he was eliminated by Park Jae Hyun with a score 11-3.

The surprise of the event was 7 footer Su Wei shooting 3’s. Everybody got excited seeing a big man, and he didn’t disappoint, making his first 7 shots, but due to a slow release did not finish all 12 shots. Still he beat #9 Dmitriy Klimov (Camp MVP) of Kazkahstan with a score of 8-6. In the second round he was eliminated with a score of 5.

The winner was Korean player Park Jae Hyun.
                      Photos by Wang Can "perfectionist". He's only a student (formerly a player), but his photography skills are amazing.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by sinobball; 06-16-2006, 06:49 PM.
                      aim low, score high

Comment

Scouting reports
                        by Zhou Jun
                        Non-Chinese players
                        #67 Kim Jin Soo, Korea PF/SF, 6'9''
                        Skinny with defined muscles and long limbs. Wingspan should be longer than height. Athletic and jumps fast. Knows where to run without the ball, and received a lot of opportunities with his cuts. (He was in the same team as fellow Korean Park Yoo Min, a point guard.) Great basketball IQ. Biggest weakness is he's not a good shooter, and he also lacks strength. I was paying close attention to him, to find out later that he's already a member of the Korean National Team (training camp this year). Although I don't think he is good or experienced enough at this point, the potential to turn into a star player in their NT is definitely there.

#1 Wong Wei Long, Singapore, PG, 5'8''
                        Fast with a great court vision. His passes are quick and strong. He's short but strong. Problem is he's too short. Attempted a few jump shots off the dribble and had some difficulties hitting shots in the face of taller defense.

#7 Imad Saade, Lebanon, PG, 6'1''
                        Strong guy. Handles are average, but can really drive. If he wants to drive he's almost unstoppable, but luckily he canft shoot. Like the other 2 Lebanese kids (#44 Patrick Bou Abboud and #61 Marwan Ziade) he canft shoot, but is not afraid of contact

#60 Ali Jamal Zaghab, Jordan, PF, 6'8''
                        Thin, only 203lbs. Really fast on transitions, but lacks fundamentals. Not many skills playing the PF position. However he does a great job boxing out. Your perfect garbage work guy.

#2 Farahani Milad Mazraeh, Iran, PG, 5'11''
                        Ball handling is average, and is not particularly fast either. Stronger than other kids, but canft shoot. Not a great playmaker either, though likes to drive. Very average player in my opinion.

#4 Kim Tae Joo, Korea, PG, 6'0''
                        What impressed me the most is his field goal percentage. With a simple screen, he can make tons of baskets a couple feet inside the three point line. Some of them are off the board, some are not, but his percentage is high either way. Great scorer, and has fast hands on defense. But he's too skinny. When he faced Wu Nan from Jiangsu he was schooled pretty bad. Not particularly fast considering his height.

#6 Park Yoo Min, Korea, PG, 6'1''
                        Stockily built, but also pretty fast. Uses his hands a lot on defense. A very good playmaker during fast breaks, but not a great shooter like other Koreans. Great first step on driving. Due to the age group, not much half-court offense was played during the games, so how he will perform at slower tempos remains to be seen.

#35 Szeto Wai Kit, Hong Kong, C, 6'5''
                        Unusually strong for a Hong Kong player. Before the camp had an injury on his left foot. Left handed. Knows how to post up and demand the ball. However, plays a little soft and is afraid of contact. But probably good enough to play center for Hong Kong, which is not saying muchc Lovely character as well.

#9 Chen Jen Wei, Taiwan, SG, 6'3''
                        A good combination of speed and skills. But appears thin. Good shooter, but didnft get many chances during the games to show. Looks pretty agile.

#10 Aditya Biswas, India, SG, 6'3''
                        Really thin, so he appears taller. Very fast and agile. The way he dribbles and finishes layups are modeled after Leandro Barbosa. Not a great shooter. Always wants to drive like the Brazilian and runs very fast during fast breaks. But he's too skinny for his position.

#36 Sukhbir Singh Dhillon, India, PF, 6'5''
                        Obviously heavier than the listed 205lbs. Posts up well, gets great positions down low. However lacks the shooting touch and was not a factor on offense, since he could not finish despite getting great positions. Pretty mobile though.

#11 Takumi Ota, Japan, SG, 6'3''
                        To me, none of the Japanese players (including #38 Ryumo Ono and #39 Motoshi Shimada) is any special.

#5 Park Jae Hyun, Korea, SF, 6'1''
                        Very average player, not fast, and not athletic. Not a good shooter either, though cuts very well.

#71 Anton Ponomarev, Kazakhstan, SF/PF, 6'10''
                        Handles the ball really well for his height, and can also shoot the 3's. Shoots well at close range too. However is a little too skinny. Very fast, plays like a SF. He doesnft post up but likes to face the basket, which he's good at. He handles the ball as well as any guard, and has good instincts. Helps the weak side on defense and does it very well. Very athletic and agile, it would be good to model his game after Antwan Jamison. If he plays many minutes he will definitely become a very good tall SF.

#28 Ilya Koptelev /29 Maxim Voeyikov, Kazakhstan, SF/SG, both 6'4''
                        Fast and athletic. Great handles, including between the leg dribbles. Both like to drive and score. #28 Ilya Koptelev especially likes to play PG, and has good court vision. Both are fast and play aggressively. During lunch time they once played Josh Childress, and played aggressively, something the foreign coaches really liked.

Chinese players

#8 Zhang Chaolong, PG, 6'2''
                        Really mediocre in the camp. Not a good ball handler, passer or shooter. He did finish all the skills exercise the coach asked him, but does not appear to have any particular talent. So is his Bayi teammate #33 Zhang Bo. Maybe the camp doesn't mean much to them, after playing in the Adidas Camp.

#31 Sui Yan, PG/SG, 6'5''
                        A confident shooter. Does not look for his own shots as a PG, but a good outside shooter nevertheless. On one play, after Wu Nan made a three against Kim Tae Joo, Sui Yan immediately returned a three from a few feet outside the arc, showing his confidence in releasing the shot. However, he is not very active demanding the ball or running screens, and basically just stands outside the arc looking for opportunities. In comparison his #4 teammate Kim Tae Joo was much more aggressive in driving and taking shots when he had the ball.

#45 Zhang Chuyang, SF, 6'7''
                        Rude (or maybe just immature) kid, gets impatient when I asked him simple questions ... During the games made his baskets and got good offensive positions. But he's very skinny and therefore is afraid of contact.

#32 Wu Nan, PG, 6'5''
                        According to him, in the Jiangsu club he plays 2 and 3. In the camp he wanted to showcase his talents and chose to play PG. Given his size, he schooled the Korean #4 Kim Tae Joo pretty bad, almost driving or shooting at will. However he did get striped the ball twice by the faster Kim Tae Joo. Court vision is OK for a PG, but obviously his scoring is much better than his playmaking skills. Plays with a lot of heart, and had a lot of dunks. A passionate player.

#53 Yan Jin, SF, 6'7''
                        Lucky kid. On the first day he got Samuel Dalembert to work on him one on one after practice. On the second day when the NBATV cameramen came, the Haitian again chose to work with him. Has narrow shoulders, but is unafraid of contact. Agile and fast. Has a soft touch but did not hit many shots. Does not cut a lot playing SF, and not very skilled at scoring with the ball.

#62 Tian Yuchen, SF/PF, 6'9''
                        Maybe because he's too young, but I didn't see any special talents from him. Everything he does is average. However, he looks really young, and is a lovely kid. Should be able to grow another 2 inches. I don't think it's fair to assess him at this point given his age, maybe a few years later.

#72 Xu Jinlong, C, 6'11''
                        Second tallest player in the camp, but without the skills to go with it. Lacks strength and does not get good positions under the basket. Sometimes gets pushed around. Very good defender however, with good reaction time. Blocked and altered many shots in the paint. A defensive-minded center or PF.

#74 Su Wei, C, 7'0''
                        Height and strength was just too much for the other campers. In one game had 4 blocks in 5 minutes. (All kids wanted to drive and do layups, so his "block shop" got a lot of customers..)Very strong, but lacks skills. Gets great positions, and almost always received a double-team treatment when he got the ball.
                        Last edited by sinobball; 06-16-2006, 06:47 PM.
                        aim low, score high

Comment

#35 Szeto Wai Kit, Hong Kong, C
                          Listed as 6’5’’. Unusually strong for a Hong Kong player. Before the camp had an injury on his left foot. Left handed. Knows how to post up and demand the ball. However, plays a little soft and is not good at contact. But probably enough to play center in Hong Kong… Lovely character as well.

What do they mean play center in hong kong? does hong kong have any
                          kind of league sino?

Comment

From what I read, Hong Kong's semi-pro league is much less professional than Taiwan's, in the teams are not owned by companies. The league looks more like the amateur league in one's neighborhood, except some people actually go watch, I think.
                            aim low, score high

Comment

so its more less a highly competitive mens league?
                              BTW where do you live sino?

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information