• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 cagers named to RP pool for SEA Games

48 cagers named to RP pool for SEA Games
    By Joey Villar
    Sunday, June 10, 2007

The BAP-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas yesterday announced the formation of an all-amateur national pool tasked to keep the country’s domination of the Southeast Asian Games basketball competition.

Forty-eight players, mostly from the Philippine Basketball League, were named to the pool, according to SBP executive director Patrick Gregorio.

Jason Castro, JC Intal and Chico Lanete of Harbour Centre, Fil-Am Ryan Reyes and Samigue Eman of Henkel-Sista, Larry Roriguez of Dazz, JR Quinahan and Ronjay Buenafe of Burger King, Joe Devance, Marvin Cruz and Patrick Cabahug of Toyota Balintawak, Jeff Chan of Magnolia and Ken Bono, Doug Kramer and Macky Escalona of CL Pera Padala are among PBL players in the list of candidates for the RP team going to battle in the SEA Games slated Dec. 6-16 in Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand.

The collegiate players in the pool are Jervy Cruz, Jojo Dunil and Dylan Ababou of Santo Tomas, Marcy Arellano, Kelvin Gregorio and Mark Borboran of University of the East, Rico Maeirhofer and JV Casio of La Salle, Yousif Aljamal of San Beda, Rino Berame of University of Visayas and 6-foot-11 Fil-Am Gregory Slaughter of Cebu.

Harbour Centre owner Mikee Romero was named project director with Junel Baculi the head coach, Louie Alas assistant coach and Jorge Gallent consultant.

“It’s just the start, the best has yet to come,” said Gregorio in a press briefing attended by Romero, Baculi and PBL chairman Gil Angeles of Toyota.

Romero, who also bankrolled RP’s successful campaign in the Southeast Asian Champions Cup in Indonesia last April, pledged P10 million to fund the Nationals’ campaign in the biennial, 11-nation meet.

“It’s my personal goal to win the SEA Games gold so I’m putting P10 million to this project,” Romero said.

The PBL is also devoting one conference for the team. This means the league will not be having a regular season-closing tournament and instead will hold an invitational meet that would allow the RP squad to field in a squad.

“The league is sacrificing one conference to help our national team prepare for the SEA Games,” Angeles said.

Baculi said it’s important to form the team and start the preparation now instead of coming up with a squad late and cramming in the tournament proper.

Baculi, however, stressed that those who are not in the list can still make it since some “shoo-ins” might not make the team because they might apply for the PBA draft on June 30, the same date they will trim the list to 30.

From 30, Baculi will come up with the final 12-man roster in August.

“It’s better to prepare early than cram,” said Baculi.

nothing to worry!

they're so worried!!! nothing to worry! i think its better to just send the U20 RP TEAM! i think they can beat this guys! its just SEABA! it just counts 1 medal in the table of medals. isali rin yung magaling na 13 yrs. old, i think

my roster for SEABA: (don't know any player U20 kya mga PBL players yung pipiliin ko)

Ken Bono
    Samigue Eman
    Gregory Slaughter
    Doug Kramer
    Joe Devance
    Larry Rodriguez
    JC Intal
    Jason Castro
    Macky Escalona
    Ryan Reyes (THIS GUY ROCKS)
    Marvin Cruz
    Chico Lanete
    IT'S NOT END OF THE WORLD, IN FACT IT JUST STARTED! THE RISE OF PHILIPPINE BASKETBAL!!!

Comment

your line-up is good... but after the pba draft i think half of the team will be replaced.... but still strong.. w/ ryan reyes as a pg...(he's not yet eligible_)

we can win the gold...
      LABAN PILIPINAS!

Comment

makakatikim din ba sila ng mura kay Junel Baculi? joke

I don't know if he still does it, nanunuod kase ako dati lagi ng live games ng PBL, during the Junel Baculi-Leo Austria rivalry. minumura talaga ni Baculi yun mga players nya kapag nagkakamali,hehe, pwera lang syempre kapag star player.hehe.
        It's ironic to see limited efforts from players with maximum salary.
        I wish they would apply "sabermetrics" in those financially challenged PBA teams to acquire players who are value for their money.

Comment

Working...
        X

Debug Information