• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview with Jiri "George" Zidek

It's good to hear from Zidek, it's been sometime... from FIBA.com

http://fiba.com/pages/en/news/interv...2586&r_cat=274

Zidek ready to pass on experience

PRAGUE (FIBA) - Jiri Zidek was an NCAA champion at UCLA a decade ago and graduated to the NBA, so it's little wonder he draws plenty of stares and hellos when he returns home to the Czech Republic.

He gets that look.

People's eyes light up, as they did at the Euroleague Final Four when big Zidek entered the Sazka Arena. It's called respect.

"There he is, one of the best basketball players we've ever had," people were thinking.

Zidek is now in transition, but not on the court. He is getting ready for life after the game as a player.

He recently spoke to PA Sport's Jeff Taylor on behalf of FIBA at the Euroleague Final Four.

FIBA: Jiri, basketball ruled in Prague on the weekend of the Euroleague Final Four. There were a lot of supporters from Spain following Tau Ceramica and Winterthur Barcelona, from Russia for CSKA Moscow and, of course, Israel with Maccabi Tel Aviv. But what about the Czech people? Have they joined in the fun?

Zidek: It was certainly a big event for me and I understood the magnitude because I played in a Final Four and I understand the popularity of basketball in Europe. I think a lot of people here (in Prague) don't understand it and don't appreciate it. They view basketball as another second-rate sport and they just thought it was another basketball tournament.

FIBA: Many an eyebrow was raised when the Euroleague announced in Moscow at the Euroleague Final Four in 2005 that Prague would host the 2006 event. Do you believe it was a gamble to stage the Euroleague's showpiece event in a city where there is not a big team?

Zidek: The reason was clear to me. We have the best arena for basketball right now. The Sazka Arena was, for sure, the best venue (more than 16,000 fans poured in to the Saska Arena to watch each day), so it was logical to give the Final Four to the Czech Republic. The country has a history of demonstrating that it can host big events, people who are good operators in sports.

FIBA: The event seemed to run very well. Were you pleased?

Zidek: The Euroleague brought between 60 and 90 people here (to work), the organisation was good and the number of fans, the media coverage - it was first class.

FIBA: How do you rate the level of competition in the Euroleague now compared to 1999 when you played for Zalgiris Kaunas and won the title?

Zidek: I didn't see much of this season, but I assume that we (Zalgiris) would have held our own. The Final Four that I was in, we had a good team with players like Tyus (Edney), Anthony Bowie. It was a good year because there were a lot of players who did not want to wait out the NBA Lockout and instead went to play in Europe. The lockout was not lifted until January so, for me, it was a wise decision. I did not play much my last two seasons in the NBA and I really needed to get on the court.

FIBA: Is it true that you may be at the end of your playing career now?

Zidek: I played 10 professional seasons but the 10th was extremely difficult, mentally and physically, because I had problems with the cartilage in my knee. I finished the season, but I spent more time with the trainers and the doctors than I did on the court.

FIBA: So, no more from Jiri Zidek then?

Zidek: There is a 99.9% chance that I'm retiring. That's my feeling personally. Fortunately, the knee feels okay for normal life and recreational sports, but I'm not sure I can come back to professional sports.

FIBA: Looking back over your career, what were the highlights?

Zidek: In high school, I was here (in the Czech Republic), and there were no highlights. The first highlight probably would have been winning the NCAA Tournament (with UCLA in 1995), getting drafted in the NBA, my first game in Chicago Stadium going up against Michael Jordan and then winning the Euroleague title with Zalgiris (1999). Winning the NCAA Tournament and Euroleague were highlights, but I also remember my first game in the NBA and being drafted.

FIBA: Would you recommend to other players in Europe that they follow your example and play college basketball before embarking on a professional career?

Zidek: It's a funny thing. My younger brother (Tomas) is 15 years old, and he will be facing the decision in two years. In my opinion, although I have not seen that much basketball (of late), the quality of college basketball has gone down. I was just talking to the coaches in Europe and, at this point, it's pretty hard to find a guy from college to step in for a good, quality club in Europe.

FIBA: So the level of the game has dropped in the US at collegiate level?

Zidek: There a lot of reasons why the basketball may have gone down, the Serbo-Montenegrin school of basketball and the Lithuanian school are really catching up to the college game. I think the unfortunate rule that the (college) coaches can't work with the young players for six months is really hurting college basketball.

FIBA: Sarunas Jasikevicius loved his NCAA experience several years ago with the Maryland Terps but he admitted he may have developed quicker as a player in Europe.

Zidek: Players who are between 18 and 22 really need a coach for 11 months of the year. If you ask me if a player should go to the US, 10 years ago I would have said yes, without a doubt. At this point, they should consider if they should go to Yugoslavia, Lithuania, Croatia. Jiri Welsch, who is in the NBA now, went to Slovenia for two years before he went to the United States.

FIBA: What can you say about Nymburk, the last club you played for? They did very well in the EuroCup.

Zidek: It was a low budget team there and we managed, many times, to beat teams with much bigger budgets. It was a great satisfaction to be able to come home and give a chance to the Czech fans to see teams like Fenerbahce, Kyiv, Dynamo Moscow (Region), (Dynamo) St Petersburg - those were big teams with bigger budgets and we managed to beat them.

FIBA: Do you think Prague would be a good place to host the EuroBasket?

Zidek: For sure. I have not seen the rest of Europe, but it would be harder to imagine a nicer stadium than the Sazka.

FIBA: Would you like to remain involved in basketball in the Czech Republic?

Zidek: For sure, but also on a European level because as I said, basketball here is a marginal sport. I would like to help basketball first in my country, but ideally I would like to be involved at European or NBA level.
    http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
    http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
    http://www.interbasket.net

NCAA and Euroleague champion, former NBA player - Jiri Zidek in Bydgoszcz

Fans from Poland would like to know, how do you remember time you were playing in Prokom Trefl Sopot?

Jiri Zidek: Personally I enjoyed living in this part of Europe very much. As far as basketball we had a bit of bad luck both in the PLK, losing the finals against Anwil, in FIBA losing by the last second shot against Aris. Personally the season started well but the end was bad because of the injury.

Are you a little bit angry that is wasn’t gold medal that season, when you lost the finals with Anwil Włocławek?

Of course, I think we underachieved.

What were you doing after this season in Poland?

I played 2 seasons with CEZ Basket Nymburk.

What happened that you can not play basketball anymore?

I have a cartilage defect in my left knee, had 2 surgeries, unfortunately the problems persist.

I have heard you are now working as a basketball scout/agent. Is that true? How do you like this kind of job?

Sort of true. I am looking around for ways of staying involved with basketball outside of playing. I am working my way towards the options you have mentioned.

When you are searching for a players you travel all around the world. But do you know that in Poland we have Basketball Players Camp “East Meets West”? Have you heard about that event?

I have talked to Kuba Zamojski about it briefly last year in Las Vegas.

Do you think Poland is good place for such a camps?

Of course, Poland is a country with an upside in basketball.

If so, are you thinking of coming to Poland for EMW?

I hope so.

Now the last question, did you enjoy the Final Four in Prague? Was is it a big event for Czech basketball?

I am very proud that my city got to host an event of such magnitude. The quality of basketball played was magnificient, especially the final was a great tribute to the highest European club competition. I hope FF will come back to Prague at some point.

Comment

Working...
    X

Debug Information