PDA

View Full Version : best shooting guard in asia

VII
06-05-2007, 12:30 PM
mine will be Hur Jae of sth Korea and Allan Caidic of the philippines

who else do you think can shoot the lights out of a team???

please add

SkyWalker
06-05-2007, 02:16 PM
im going with

Zhu FangYu of China, Fadi El Khatib of Korea and Bang Sung Eun of Korea. And our very own, of course Mark Caguioa, the only player in Asia, aside from Fadi and Yao, that can take over a game. :)

spreekanick
06-05-2007, 03:07 PM
im going with

Zhu FangYu of China, Fadi El Khatib of Korea and Bang Sung Eun of Korea. And our very own, of course Mark Caguioa, the only player in Asia, aside from Fadi and Yao, that can take over a game. :)

Fadi El Khatib of Lebanon.. :)

Phantim3dx
06-05-2007, 03:39 PM
ha seung jin. seeing his face alone makes the lights not go out, but break...

SkyWalker
06-05-2007, 04:03 PM
ha seung jin. seeing his face alone makes the lights not go out, but break...

Ha looks like a mongoloid.. lolz.:D

anyway, those 3 guards ive mention are players standing 6'6 and above, while caguioa stands only at 6'0. all of u guys shud see Zhu play, he's a great shooter in my opinion, though not as athletic as Bang and Fadi, Zhu can play good defense, plus he has a nice body suited for a tall guard.:)

elaj
06-05-2007, 04:58 PM
Fadi El Khatib

ithons26
06-05-2007, 06:23 PM
Is fadi el khatib a shooting guard? he is more a legitimate small forward for me... as far as the best shooting guard in asia is concern.... ill go with mark "the spark" caguioa... arguablly the best offensive player on the philippine national team.... he find so many ways to score.... he can shoot from the three point line, isolate one on one, mid range jump shooter, penetrate inside, great open court player and most importantly can break the defense with his killer cross over moves and tear drop shot ala tony parker:) the most versatile offensive player of the philippines!!!

eitra
06-05-2007, 08:46 PM
SAMBOY LIM D' DRAGON mytical first team 1990 asian games

VII
06-06-2007, 12:47 AM
SAMBOY LIM D' DRAGON mytical first team 1990 asian games

no offense to all of you guys here..but i dont think youve seen hur jae or caidic play during their prime...

samboy lim was great too...but his shooting is not something i would rely on during clutch...

hehe im a filipino who have problem remembering names...hur jae made me remember his when i saw his play in the asian games..

eitra
06-06-2007, 02:33 AM
no offense to all of you guys here..but i dont think youve seen hur jae or caidic play during their prime...

samboy lim was great too...but his shooting is not something i would rely on during clutch...

hehe im a filipino who have problem remembering names...hur jae made me remember his when i saw his play in the asian games..
HUR JAE was shot down by EVANGELISTA last 1994 if we we have PARAS and MENESES that time maybe we got the silver again. CAIDIC played small forward 1990 and 1994 just becoz SAMBOY AND AGUSTIN was there..

donmar
06-06-2007, 03:21 AM
Hur Jae of South Korea and Allan Caidic of the Philippines were the best shooting guards of their generation... but right now, for me its Mark Caguioa of the Philippines... :)

viperbravo
06-06-2007, 04:41 AM
On November 21, Filipino Allan "Triggerman" Caidic scored 79 points and lead the Presto Tivoli beat Ginebra San Miguel. Caidic’s 79 points was the most points scored by a Filipino in a single PBA game and sank 17 three-point field goals, the most three-point shots made in a single game. Other PBA records he sets in the game are the most points scored in a single half (53 points), in a single quarter (37) and the most consecutive triples and most triples in a single quarter (8 triples).

weward
06-06-2007, 05:22 AM
those 79 points he made is just in 3 quarters...
i think he was injured early in the fourth quarter.....
79..what if he haven't been injured..maybe he had it more than 100!!!!
yeah Allan CAIDIC is the purest shooter and scorer in asia(and maybe one of it in the whole world.)...

donmar
06-06-2007, 05:29 AM
I agree.. Allan Caidic is the best shooter in Asia (of all time)... and I believe, eventhough he's retired... he is still one of the best in the Philippines!!!

CHINA TEAM
06-06-2007, 07:10 AM
im going with

En,yeah dude ,zhu fangyu and Li nan both are shooting well~:rolleyes:

http://pics.dahangzhou.com/UploadPic/2006/08/21/20060821144200235488.jpghttp://photocdn.sohu.com/20050917/Img226981635.jpg

VII
06-06-2007, 09:09 AM
I agree.. Allan Caidic is the best shooter in Asia (of all time)... and I believe, eventhough he's retired... he is still one of the best in the Philippines!!!

i dont think any local or fil/am can emulate what the trigger man did in his prime..

Burndvinyard
06-06-2007, 09:23 AM
i dont think any local or fil/am can emulate what the trigger man did in his prime..

when former Presto Tivoli import Bernard Campbell brought to the US a tape of Caidic's game where he shot a load full of three pointers, the late Drazen Petrovic was so amazed that he even said in an interview that "he saw a revelation of a shooting god in Manila". Campbell even said that Caidic is even better than Petrovic. Caidic's only weakness is his height and dribbling ability to make it to the NBA.

donmar
06-06-2007, 09:28 AM
when former Presto Tivoli import Bernard Campbell brought to the US a tape of Caidic's game where he shot a load full of three pointers, the late Drazen Petrovic was so amazed that he even said in an interview that "he saw a revelation of a shooting god in Manila". Campbell even said that Caidic is even better than Petrovic. Caidic's only weakness is his height and dribbling ability to make it to the NBA.

Wow!!!... that's quite a good info!!!

Phantim3dx
06-06-2007, 09:32 AM

and for Petrovic's blasphemy, the basketball gods had him killed, it's sad because petrovic would have definitely been a hall of famer in the NBA and looked upon especially in Europe. Caddy shack on the other-hand, a local(as in the Philippines) hero, nothing more, nothing less. :rolleyes:

viperbravo
06-06-2007, 09:34 AM
Allan Caidic (born June 15 1963) is a basketball player from the Philippines. He is considered by many to be the greatest outside shooter the country has ever produced. A left-handed, he is often called the "Triggerman" because of his ability to make outside shots despite being heavily guarded. He is a player who could slay teams with a single flick of his left wrist and brought heaaches and heartaches to the opposition.

Career

He played college hoops at the University of the East, leading the Red Warriors to a back to back championships in 1984-1985. When he joined the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) in 1987, he broke several Filipino and PBA all-time records-- including the most points scored in a single game by a Filipino (79 points), the most three-point field goals made in a single game (17 triples; breaking his previous record of 15 triples), the most three-point field goals in a career (1,242 triples) and the most consecutive freethrows in a row (76). He has played with several PBA teams and won numerous championship titles (mostly in the PBA All Filipino Cup); he has also played for the Philippine national basketball team including the 1998 Philippine Centennial Team. Whilst in the league, he was considered Asia's most feared trifecta icon and one of the world's deadliest three-point shooters. The vaunted Chinese National Basketball team recognized this ability by always reminding their players to be on the lookout for "Philippine No. 8", referring to Allan's regular jersey number while playing for the National Team.

Caidic is a four-time veteran of the Asian Games as a player and shared this distinction with Alvin Patrimonio, as the only PBA players to play in four Asian Games. In 1986, he lead the last all-amateur national team to captured the FIBA Asian Basketball Championship gold medal and scored 22 points in the final against China. He went on to win two bronze medals and a silver in the Asian Games basketball tournaments and hold the distinction of being the only Filipino player to win the William Jones Cup championships twice, once as an amateur in 1985 and once as a professional in 1998.

In 1990, he sets the PBA all-time record for the most three-point field goals made in a single season (160 triples) and lead Presto Tivoli to a championship title. He was named the 1990 PBA Most Valuable Player and was selected to play for the first all-pro national team coached by Robert Jaworski, bound for the Asian Games.

In 1991, Caidic sets the PBA all-time records of the most points in a single game (79 points) by a Filipino, the most points in a single half (53 points), the most points in a single quarter (37 points), the most three-point field goals made and attempts in a game (17/27 triples), the most three-point field goals made in a quarter (8 triples) and the most consecutive three-point field goals made in a single game (8 triples) on November 21, 1991 to lead Presto Tivoli against Ginebra San Miguel. His performance remained as one of the greatest individual performances in the PBA history. What makes it more remarkable is that while he was playing in the court, his wife Millote was giving birth to their first daughter. He played late in the first quarter and left in the middle of the fourth quarter, in a game where he could have possibly score 100 points or more.

After retiring as a player, he coached the Barangay Ginebra Kings and was then promoted as the Team Manager after five years. He also served as the national team's assistant coach in 2002 and was an active participant of the San Miguel Corporation All-Stars, a group composed of several former professional basketball players.

In 2005, Caidic took part in the PBA's 30th Anniversary, leading Virgilio Dalupan's Legends Team to victory in the PBA's Classic Greatest Game in May 2005. He also led the PBA Legends Team to a two-game Australian Tour Series and earned himself the series Most Valuable Player award. He was then appointed Sports Ambassador to represent the Philippines in the 23rd South East Asian Games alongside some of the Philippines' greatest athletes (Efren Reyes, Rafael Nepomuceno) to promote the event throughout the country.

Recently, he fittingly released his autobiographical book, "My Life Allan Caidic, The Triggerman" on his 43rd birthday (15th of June 2006).

donmar
06-06-2007, 09:37 AM
Aside from that he holds and broke all-time records in the Philippine basketball Association... finished the 1994 Asian Games as the tournament leading scorer and named the the mythical five... :D

daniab
06-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Khatib is a great shooting,also rony fahed sometimes play this role.
Mark caguiao is just amazing,Zhu Fangyu,Saad Abdelrahman from Quatar.
Enver from jordan.
Before to say which shooting guard is the best,we should wait asian champ 2007 when all the best asian players will meet each other.

onono1
06-06-2007, 11:39 AM

Guys during the 1970's there was a terrific player from south korea named SHIN DON PA who people said shoots flawless from the outside. He became popular in asia especially in the philippines because of his ability to score against taller american and european guards in international competition. Even my uncle told me during the martial law years of 1970's if u were an outside shooter people called you SHIN DON PA the 2nd.

onono1
06-06-2007, 11:49 AM
It is our very own ALLAN CAIDIC's shooting ability who caught the attention of our asian opponents. Even mighty china gave their respect to caidic whenever he entered the game, chinese players would point out to the designated guard of "jersey #8" not to let caidic to score at ease especially at the 3 point area.

SkyWalker
06-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Guys during the 1970's there was a terrific player from south korea named SHIN DON PA who people said shoots flawless from the outside. He became popular in asia especially in the philippines because of his ability to score against taller american and european guards in international competition. Even my uncle told me during the martial law years of 1970's if u were an outside shooter people called you SHIN DON PA the 2nd.

yeah, i remember that man. actually, when RP and Korea play, its like Robert Jaworski vs. Shin Dong Pa game. man, i missed those times that RP was respected all over asia. and man, shin dong pa and robert jaworski are good friends.

VII
06-06-2007, 01:26 PM
On November 2, 1989, Caidic scored 68 points and 15 three-point field goals made in a single game to lead Presto Tivoli past the Alaska Milkmen in a high scoring overtime game 175-159. Both teams' combined points, at the time, was the most in the PBA history.

In one of his Asian Games appearances, he lead the national team's second half comeback win, 86-78, against Japan with 34 points despite playing with a broken hand and held scoreless in the first half.

Butata
06-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Even before Hur Jae, there was Lee Chung Hee. Incredible player. Saw him in person when his Hyundai team was a guest team in the Philippine Amateur Basketball League (PABL) in the mid-80's. Scored 60 points in that game I saw. Just plain incredible shooting touch.

When Korea played the Philippines in the 1985 Asian Championship, coach Ron Jacobs assigned Jeff Moore on him. And he was only 5'11". Shows you the respect RJ had on him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Chung_Hee

VII
06-06-2007, 11:39 PM
Even before Hur Jae, there was Lee Chung Hee. Incredible player. Saw him in person when his Hyundai team was a guest team in the Philippine Amateur Basketball League (PABL) in the mid-80's. Scored 60 points in that game I saw. Just plain incredible shooting touch.

When Korea played the Philippines in the 1985 Asian Championship, coach Ron Jacobs assigned Jeff Moore on him. And he was only 5'11". Shows you the respect RJ had on him.

i heard that sth korea have a basketball guru of some sort...a shooting teacher...
so basically all of their NT mainstay usually shoot the same way...

so im not surprise korean are a great shooter...

VII
06-08-2007, 06:49 AM
noon allan caidic ngaun secret baka ma scout eh nasa rp team siya

they hardly used him...
pero i have this weird feeling theyll let him run amok in the championship...

just pure shooter....they didnt add him in the NT coz of his looks for sure...
some people here at work thinks he looks like a kid too!!! hahaha

yeah let the kid kill ya!!

spreekanick
06-08-2007, 06:50 AM
noon allan caidic ngaun secret baka ma scout eh nasa rp team siya

i know him..it's John Ordonio...oooopss..it slipped out of my tounge.. :)

donmar
06-08-2007, 06:53 AM
i know him..it's John Ordonio...oooopss..it slipped out of my tounge.. :)

It could by that dude (still a secret) from the same college as Caidic himself!!! :D ....

viperbravo
06-08-2007, 06:58 AM
It could by that dude (still a secret) from the same college as Caidic himself!!! :D ....

Man your wrong, its Bonel Balingit, he can shoot 10 3 pts a game....:)

donmar
06-08-2007, 07:04 AM
Man your wrong, its Bonel Balingit, he can shoot 10 3 pts a game....:)

hehehehe!!!... Is that mean we'll have EJ Feihl too!

saints13
06-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Is fadi el khatib a shooting guard? he is more a legitimate small forward for me... as far as the best shooting guard in asia is concern.... ill go with mark "the spark" caguioa... arguablly the best offensive player on the philippine national team.... he find so many ways to score.... he can shoot from the three point line, isolate one on one, mid range jump shooter, penetrate inside, great open court player and most importantly can break the defense with his killer cross over moves and tear drop shot ala tony parker:) the most versatile offensive player of the philippines!!!

fadi el khatib is the most versatile SG, so far, can play all the positions too.

the guy from SoKor, name was Moon, he smiles while making long 3 pts.

the orimo guy from japan, he's like a japanese and older version of ritualo.

caguioa, is like a smaller package/version of el-khatib.

fowtyeben
06-12-2007, 04:01 PM

JY? oh no...

donmar
06-13-2007, 04:14 AM
JY? oh no...

hehehehe!! maybe :D ... I can't say it!.. its a secret!;) ... we don't want other countries to find out...

Burndvinyard
06-14-2007, 08:25 AM
hehehehe!!!... Is that mean we'll have EJ Feihl too!

Man, spare 7'1" EJ Feihl from this fray. He shoots better from long range than any PBA player standing 6'8" and above, except for Mic and Yancy....;) Serious.:cool:

donmar
06-14-2007, 10:17 AM
I think EJ Feihl could be a weapon... he just need more experience in international basketall :)

demonyito
06-14-2007, 01:37 PM
its a shame, sayang si EJ. the fellow have a feel for the game only that he has limited movements.

nyhow..EJ graces the league for years being the first filipino 7 footer that the PBA have:)

Burndvinyard
06-15-2007, 12:37 AM
its a shame, sayang si EJ. the fellow have a feel for the game only that he has limited movements.

nyhow..EJ graces the league for years being the first filipino 7 footer that the PBA have:)

the PBA and the Philippine basketball program has been blind to improvements and investing on training our big men. EJ Feihl could have been one of the biggest threats we can pose against other NT's had the basketball authorities sent Feihl to overseas big man training camp...oh well, yes, i already posted that in another forum. Sorry...:rolleyes: :(

donmar
06-15-2007, 03:10 AM
the PBA and the Philippine basketball program has been blind to improvements and investing on training our big men. EJ Feihl could have been one of the biggest threats we can pose against other NT's had the basketball authorities sent Feihl to overseas big man training camp...oh well, yes, i already posted that in another forum. Sorry...:rolleyes: :(

Its ok!!!

viperbravo
06-15-2007, 09:32 AM
This is the game between the San Miguel and the Brgy. Ginebra...Finals Game 6. Jhonny Abarrientos still playing for Ginebra...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xruE0rMAaok

Phantim3dx
06-15-2007, 01:06 PM
here viperbravo, show u how its done. just search the forum boards to see how its done or pm me, i can tell you

xruE0rMAaok

viperbravo
06-20-2007, 02:19 AM
here viperbravo, show u how its done. just search the forum boards to see how its done or pm me, i can tell you

xruE0rMAaok

Thanks Phantim3dx! :)

reamily
06-23-2007, 10:26 AM
shin don pa is a korean legend

VII
06-25-2007, 05:53 AM
i watched this game over and over again...
this was a great game..
too bad my smb lost!!!

donlyn
06-27-2007, 05:57 AM
best shooting guard in asia Mark "the SPARK" Caguioa!

watiwawa
06-27-2007, 12:40 PM
best shooting guard in asia Mark "the SPARK" Caguioa!
let's w8 for fiba-asia...

but i think now,, i say yes...

even 6'7-6'8 players he can still score 20...

saints13
06-27-2007, 05:17 PM
shin don pa is a korean legend

this guy is an Alamat! :D

thekidd
06-29-2007, 03:19 AM
On November 21, Filipino Allan "Triggerman" Caidic scored 79 points and lead the Presto Tivoli beat Ginebra San Miguel. Caidicís 79 points was the most points scored by a Filipino in a single PBA game and sank 17 three-point field goals, the most three-point shots made in a single game. Other PBA records he sets in the game are the most points scored in a single half (53 points), in a single quarter (37) and the most consecutive triples and most triples in a single quarter (8 triples).

His wife is giving birth for their first daughter so He went to the hospital after the third quarter of that game...

Some times good things comes with great surprises... :)

Caidic is the best Shooting Guard in Asia... upto now I don't see anyone who is so potent in delivering a blow in the opponent other than caidic's 3s....

thekidd
06-29-2007, 03:28 AM
Mark Caguioa is non the less a different player than Caidic...

He is an all around player with a Deadly Touch...

but he is a kind of Elton Brand while Caidic is like Larry Bird...

Mark is like the combination of Samboy Lim for his athleticism and speed and a touch of a Streak Shooter.

He is good in one on one, moving without the ball, fastbreak and clutch baskets.

saints13
06-29-2007, 04:26 PM
Allan Caidic = Larry Bird..a good comparison..but Mark Caguioa = Elton Brand:eek:

Elton Brand is a Power Forward :D
anyway, that's your comparison, I've got nothing to do with it.

JET007
06-30-2007, 07:58 AM
Allan Caidic = Larry Bird..a good comparison..but Mark Caguioa = Elton Brand:eek:

Elton Brand is a Power Forward :D
anyway, that's your comparison, I've got nothing to do with it.
elton brand doesnt even have a natural touch from the outside...

saints13
07-01-2007, 07:20 PM
elton brand doesnt even have a natural touch from the outside...

now I get it.. :) tnx jet!

theKidd meant comparing both PF that Larry Bird is a shooter compared to Elton Brand who doesn't have an outside touch at all. sorry for my poor comprehension :)

FilWelsh
07-01-2007, 10:54 PM
At present, speaking of pure shooting guard it could be Takehiko Orimo of Japan . . . the best in 1990's is Allan Caidic.

VII
07-02-2007, 01:36 AM
At present, speaking of pure shooting guard it could be Takehiko Orimo of Japan . . . the best in 1990's is Allan Caidic.

yes in the 80s and 90s its caidic...
now maybe orimo or other nationals...
BUT who is the top among all SG whether theyre current OR old school..

this is hard coz we can argue only with the ones we have seen played...
i gotta admit i havent seen orimo play so normally my opinion will be biased on caidic..
but it makes you wonder if shin dong pa is better or hur jae etc.

bolabasket
07-04-2007, 07:16 AM
yes in the 80s and 90s its caidic...
now maybe orimo or other nationals...
BUT who is the top among all SG whether theyre current OR old school..

this is hard coz we can argue only with the ones we have seen played...
i gotta admit i havent seen orimo play so normally my opinion will be biased on caidic..
but it makes you wonder if shin dong pa is better or hur jae etc.

We might as well first define WHAT IS A SHOOTING GUARD? That position has really evolved in the last decade from a mere partner of the point guard, to a defensive stopper, to a shooting guard, to a combo guard.
Is he the spot-up shooter in the past who receives the ball and shoots instantly (e.g. Caidic, Ritualo)? or is he the one who takes his man off the dribble before he shoots (e.g. Caguioa)?

aklanarcher
07-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Ren Ren Ritualo for me. He is the best pure shooter since Allan Caidic.

olazabal
07-07-2007, 01:19 PM
The best off-guard for me are:

MOON KYUN-EUN of South Korea
SUN JUN of China

saints13
07-07-2007, 01:23 PM

SUN JUN of China

so that's the full name of that Moon guy..he's good :D

olazabal
07-07-2007, 04:01 PM
so that's the full name of that Moon guy..he's good :D

He even became a holder of most treys in the World basketball, I already forgot the year. The guy was practically deadly outside.

saints13
07-07-2007, 05:37 PM
He even became a holder of most treys in the World basketball, I already forgot the year. The guy was practically deadly outside.

yeah, I knew that he was a WBC veteran :) that was the time when RP NT only cared about beating China and winning in Asiad :)

igorotski
07-07-2007, 10:27 PM

IS THE MAN

saints13
07-10-2007, 05:22 PM
http://basketball.sport.org.cn/home/focusReport/upload/img/h12/h5/20050119200632moonke.jpg
Moon Kyung Eun - Asia's Smiling Assasin :D

CHINA TEAM
07-11-2007, 01:41 AM
http://basketball.sport.org.cn/home/focusReport/upload/img/h12/h5/20050119200632moonke.jpg
Moon Kyung Eun - Asia's Smiling Assasin :D
He is a older~Has retired from Korea NT

kryptoniac
07-11-2007, 02:23 AM
Caidic is just the all time best shooting guard. I can still remember when he made, first the 15 tripples in 1 game then 17 tripples in another game( I personally went and watched this game and man! one of the most unforgetable moments) . This guy was just the most deadliest in tripples. A living legend. I hope we will produce another guy like him aside from you know who.

snipes12
07-11-2007, 05:20 PM
my idol .... vergel meneses

thugpinoy
07-14-2007, 07:45 PM
Allan Caidic of the Philippines and Hu Weidong of China.

Allan Caidic being the triggerman of the PBA and one of the main gunner of the Silver Medal finish of the Philippines during the 1990 Asian Games in Beijing under coach Robert Jaworski.

Hu Weidong one of the long-time member of China NT, and the team captain before. just so sad that he wasn't able to play for NBA, because he is quite old when the NBA started embracing Asian Talents.
________
Class action lawfirm (http://classactionsettlements.org/)

ctongco
07-19-2007, 02:23 PM
As of the moment I would say Fadi El Khatib of the Lebanese National Team.

SNIPER
07-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Rony fahed from Lebanon
before it was Elie mshantaf
not to forget Boulos Beshara king of 3s

saints13
07-19-2007, 07:49 PM
Rony fahed from Lebanon
before it was Elie mshantaf
not to forget Boulos Beshara king of 3s

what happened to Mechantaf? where is he now?

SNIPER
07-20-2007, 01:20 PM
This year Mchantaf(36yr) played with Champville(3rd position),and was the technical director of basketball @ sagesse. He's not that big scorer anymore but he still knows how to control the game and help his team.
Don't know if he will play the coming year with Sagesse or hold an administrative position.

Silent Killer
07-22-2007, 01:55 PM
Allan Caidic is the best shooter in RP history and one if not the best shooters in Asia.

daniab
07-22-2007, 02:12 PM
what happened to Mechantaf? where is he now?
Elie mchantaf is the oldest khatib if u want to give him a name :D
Mchantaf was the dynamo for Sagesse club or Lebanon NT,he was for 3 times consecutive " best scorer in the Lebanese league ".
Now,and maybe next year will play his last league in his career with sagesse .
God be with him.

rycorpz
07-22-2007, 02:34 PM
current:

SG: if its pure outside shooter Orimo of Japan, Ritualo and Yap of Phils
: over-all shooting guard Mark Caguioa
PG: Jimmy Alapag

Legends:

SG: outside shooter Allan Caidic, Hur Jae of Korea, Hu wei dong of China
: over-all SG Samboy Lim, Vergel Meneses
PG: Johnny Abarientos, Hector Calma, Ronnie Magsanoc and Kang Dong hee of Korea

norwood
07-22-2007, 02:47 PM
shooting guard means who can convert how many treys in every game...
Allan Caidic is the man need to hold this title...
followed by RenRen Ritualo..

arnoldt
07-22-2007, 03:49 PM
Allan Caidic definitely during the 80s and 90s. and i remember this Korean shooter, Lee Chung Hee.

igorotski
07-22-2007, 11:47 PM
current:

SG: if its pure outside shooter Orimo of Japan, Ritualo and Yap of Phils
: over-all shooting guard Mark Caguioa
PG: Jimmy Alapag

Legends:

SG: outside shooter Allan Caidic, Hur Jae of Korea, Hu wei dong of China
: over-all SG Samboy Lim, Vergel Meneses
PG: Johnny Abarientos, Hector Calma, Ronnie Magsanoc and Kang Dong hee of Korea
very well said

ROLZ9
07-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Hur Jae of South Korea and Allan Caidic of the Philippines were the best shooting guards of their generation... but right now, for me its Mark Caguioa of the Philippines... :)

Mark is not a shooting guard. He is more of a slashing type of a player. His shooting is not consistent.

Allan Caidic is the best pure shooting guard in Asia and Shindong Pa of Korea (i don't know if this is the right spelling of his name).

igorotski
07-24-2007, 09:10 AM
Mark is not a shooting guard. He is more of a slashing type of a player. His shooting is not consistent.

Allan Caidic is the best pure shooting guard in Asia and Shindong Pa of Korea (i don't know if this is the right spelling of his name).

goddamnit.. 'shooting guard' is jus the name of the position. whatever he does--slashing, pentetrating, dunking,shooting,etc---that's still what u call him, a shooting guard.

bradley
07-24-2007, 09:29 AM

yeah he is right .....mark is a slasher/scorer not a shooter ..there is a diffence

igorotski
07-24-2007, 01:46 PM

yeah he is right .....mark is a slasher/scorer not a shooter ..there is a diffence

i dunno if i have to bite these posts or laugh them off.

ROLZ9
07-24-2007, 03:13 PM

Maybe we can get other opinion on whats their description of a pure shooting and a scorer instead of laughing at other peoples opinion. As far as i can remember their is a big difference between a pure shooter and a scorer.:)

BURATIN
07-24-2007, 03:14 PM

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
actually i wanna laugh :p :p :p :p :p :p

olazabal
07-25-2007, 02:12 PM
Allan Caidic definitely during the 80s and 90s. and i remember this Korean shooter, Lee Chung Hee.

Lee Chung hee is not Korean. He is a Taiwanese.

lovejones
07-25-2007, 07:58 PM
Lee Chung hee is not Korean. He is a Taiwanese.

:eek:

The guy's korean!!!!!!!!!!

lrangels
07-25-2007, 09:05 PM
I would just put it this way, SCORERS. If there's anyone who has the title"the best scorer of all time" it should be given on their respective eras. But, when it comes on whos the best scorers from each country whether they're a shooting guard or a small forward what comes in my mind are the following:

Shin Dong Pa, Korea
Maikeru Takahashi, Japan
Hur Jae, Korea
Takehiko Orimo, Japan
Allan Caidic, Philippines
Samboy Lim, Philippines
Kang Dong Hee, Korea
Fadi El Khatib, Lebanon (I think he's a PF, but I'll put him there too)
Yaseem Musa (I hope I got the right spelling and the right name), Qatar
Taniguchi (I forgot his first name), Japan
Kenneth Duremdes, Philippines

So far, I'm not going to put Danny Seigle and Mark Caguioa on my list till they officially play an actual FIBA game (friendlies and Jones Cup not included).

;)

donmar
07-26-2007, 02:50 AM
goddamnit.. 'shooting guard' is jus the name of the position. whatever he does--slashing, pentetrating, dunking,shooting,etc---that's still what u call him, a shooting guard.

I agree... the off-guard and shooting guard position are the same.. Allan Caidic wasn't called a shooting guard because he can shoot but also during his early years he was a penetrator and slasher and at the same time a shooter... not because he's a shooter...

Mark Caguioa - just because he can't shoot triples consistently doesn't mean he's not a shooting guard... Caguioa is right now one of the best in the region in that position...

bolabasket
07-26-2007, 02:57 AM
The Shooting guard (SG), also known as the two or off guard, is one of five traditional positions on a basketball team. Players of the position are often shorter, leaner, and quicker than forwards. A shooting guard's main objective is to score points for their team. Some teams ask their shooting guards to bring up the ball as well; these players are known colloquially as "combo guards". A player who can switch between playing shooting guard and small forward is known as a swingman.

Shooting guard characteristics
Shooting guards, like all player positions in basketball, have specific characteristics that are essential for them to help guide their team to a victory. "The Basketball Handbook" by Lee Rose describes a shooting guard as someone whose primary role is to score points. One example of a shooting guard is Ray Allen of the Boston Celtics. Typically, shooting guards are bigger than point guards, but size does not preclude smaller players from playing the position. While shooting guards are sometimes the best jump-shooters on the floor (hence the "shooting" part of the position name), most can also drive to the basket well. Good examples are Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers and Dwyane Wade of the Miami Heat who use their superior athletic abilities to finish high flying dunks and whirling layups.

Other characteristics a shooting guard should have are: A good catch-and-shoot skill set, (being able to line up at a designated spot, catch the basketball and make a shot without dribbling). Shooting guards also typically show an ability to penetrate into the basketball lane, and finish at the rim, by either a dunk or layup.

Styles of play
Shooting guards can be known for excelling at certain skills, such as having a great shooting touch like Ray Allen and Allan Houston, or being able to dunk in an athletic high flying manner such as Michael Jordan or being able to throw it down with reasonable strength such as Jason Richardson. Many shooting guards also possess a natural ability to take contact (being fouled) and finish the play resulting in the "old fashioned three point play" of perhaps better known as an "and one." On the other side of the ball, some shooting guards, including notables such as Morris Peterson and Raja Bell, are known for their defense. Some, like Michael Jordan, Dwyane Wade, Tracy McGrady, and Kobe Bryant, are good on almost all the skills needed by a Shooting Guard.

A shooting guard should be a good ball handler and be able to pass reasonably well, although passing is not their main priority. Since a good shooting guard may attract double-teams, shooting guards are frequently the team's back-up ball handler to the point guard. Most shooting guards, however, focus primarily on scoring, allowing the point guard to worry about distributing the ball. Many bigger shooting guards can also play small forward. Size at the position varies; most shooting guards in the professional game are between 6 ft 3 and 6 ft 7 in or 1.91 to 2.01 m.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_guard

olazabal
07-26-2007, 04:54 AM
:eek:

The guy's korean!!!!!!!!!!

May bad, youre correct the guy is Korean. He played in RP during PABL days. I am thinking of CHIN CHIN LUNG.:o

andrew
09-26-2007, 08:06 PM
May bad, youre correct the guy is Korean. He played in RP during PABL days. I am thinking of CHIN CHIN LUNG.:o

CHIN CHIN LUNG is a chinese taipei legend....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXJ5rdUq-_U

weakbomb
02-22-2008, 01:34 PM
El Khatib. I think he plays scorer guard and forward. (Swingman). But He is at least 35 years old:) 10 years ago he was my favorite scorer.

daniab
02-22-2008, 05:45 PM
El Khatib. I think he plays scorer guard and forward. (Swingman). But He is at least 35 years old:) 10 years ago he was my favorite scorer.

35 years ??? :eek:
He's 29 years old man. :D

Alex07
05-28-2008, 03:59 PM
If Danny Seigle(6'6) was not hounded by injuries,I'm sure he'll be one of the top off guards in Asia.For me he's better than Fadi El Khatib..and he's more graceful with the basketball too.Iran's Mohammad Nikkah(6'7) is also one of my choices..he plays like a young Danny Seigle.only Seigle was a high flyer during his younger years.Another player that could have been one of Asia's primier shooting guard was Rob Parker(6'4)I remember him torching Shell Turbocharger's Import John Best(6'7) and limiting him for a few points.He could shoot the long three point shots(23'9") with ease,a monster on a fast break with his alley oop dunks and he can defend the anyone from the point guard to the small forward.The only thing is he has troubles off court.

rocketstar47
07-18-2008, 09:18 AM
for me dondon hontiveros,moon ke,takehiko orimo,of phil,korea & japan
__________________________________________________ ____________
remembering moon ke kills RP in the 2002 busan asian games 69-68
i cant forgot that game very emotional

sinobball
07-18-2008, 05:26 PM
remembering moon ke kills RP in the 2002 busan asian games 69-68
i cant forgot that game very emotional
Moon Kyung Eun? Yeah definitely one of the best Korean shooters last few years.

zainonly
07-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Sam Douglas

igorotski
07-22-2008, 04:42 PM
ok, i got to say that Moon guy from korea, and Orimo from Japan. honestly, i dont know much about China's SG's so yeah i cant name any one. from Philippines, it's james yap. im rle not a fan of fancy dribblings and stuff so i dont liek caguioa. rather im more into the fundamentally sound players.

$$$ABO_-_JOo0J$$$
10-07-2008, 02:30 PM
fadi elkhatib from lebanon and michelle medaanly from syria

Charbel Sakr
10-07-2008, 09:29 PM
35 years ??? :eek:
He's 29 years old man. :D

Do u think they mixing between fadi elkhatib and Elie Mchantaf??

that would be funny :D

eliooo93
10-08-2008, 12:53 AM
in the middle east i'd say rony fahed and fadi el khatib from lebanon. in east of asia i think the best scorers are from china, japan korea and maybe philipines.

Khalid80
10-08-2008, 07:13 AM
Do u think they mixing between fadi elkhatib and Elie Mchantaf??

that would be funny :D

I think they're considering that he's that old since he's been in the basketball scene for so long. Khatib was already a star player in the late 90's with Sagesse (even though he was still a teenager).

Charbel Sakr
10-08-2008, 09:32 AM
I think they're considering that he's that old since he's been in the basketball scene for so long. Khatib was already a star player in the late 90's with Sagesse (even though he was still a teenager).

ya possible and he keeps getting better!! he will 30 on jan. 1

joesmoove059
10-09-2008, 08:30 AM
we have many new talents in the shooting guard position.
Sol Mercado- he scored 29pts in his PBA debut. one of the best debuts ever in the PBA. (rookie)
Jared Dillinger- he scored 15 pts in his PBA debut, 6'5 who can play positions 1-3. (also a rookie)
Bonbon Custodio- he scored 14 pts in his PBA debut, but I don't think he will be considered to the RP NT yet. (rookie)
Gabe Norwood- he scored 6 pts in his PBA debut, but the points column really doesn't matter for this kid, for he is known as an all around, pass first type of player, offense or defense he can do it.(rookie)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

rocketstar47
05-15-2010, 02:30 AM
As the time passes by there are lot of new generations in the game
of basketball here in asia. Like now middle east countries are one example, they are now one of the powerhouse in asia in this sport,like before chinese,koreans,filipinos or in short the eastern asians dominate basketball supremacy in asia..

But my topic is about the players who carry their teams in championships
with the use of their softhands in longdistance shots..for example Shin dong pa of South Korea or i called Mr.100% bcoz of his shooting ability

Allan caidic "The Triggerman" of the philippines one of Asia's Greatest Shooters of all time even in trouble he could carry our NT in victory w/ his Threepoint shooting ability, but for me In asia the koreans,japanese and chinese are the best in terms of shooting ability..

Pls add ur comments and Suggestions Thank you :)

gazara
05-15-2010, 08:28 PM
Fadi El Khatib and Rony Fahed are the best shooters now in Lebanon, Khatib cant miss an open shot ,he can score from every where +he can take shots from 2 meters and 3 meters on the arc ... he have a great shot
About Fahed , he also can t miss an open shot ... he can take difficult shot ,one on one shot and he also did his job in shooting in last seconds ,he have a very big heart , ...
Omar el Turk is a sniper but a shooter ,he dont miss an open shot but with good deffence on him he can t shoot anymore ,his job is open shots and he s simply great in this job , i saw omar in traning he simply don t miss any open shot ...
we can add also Rami Akiki , Rony fahed style ...
Mohhamad Akari mutahed player also is a great shooter in his last game agaisnt a team from Morroco ,he score 5/6 3s in less than 8 minutes...
we have Matt freijie who can shoot also very good ...
we dont mis Brian ,who also rarely don t miss any open shot ... he s also a good shooter

these are the best shooters in our days from Lebanon

daniab
05-16-2010, 04:48 AM
In my humble opinion , Rony Fahed is the best real "shooter" in asia.He can shoot off the dribble besides creating his own shots.
In addition to,Rony had historical shots , like vs Qatar in 2005,vs France in 2006,vs Korea 2001 and the list is long...

Hamed Afagh is another great shooter,he is a dead eye shooter but i believe he cant create his own shots but eventhough when hes open , he cant miss!

Brian Beshara used to be very dangerous besides the arch , cant forget his game vs Wehda in the final of Asian Clubs champion back to 2004 when he had a great game scoring behind the arch, leading the lebanese team "Sagesse" to win the cup.

Philippines4ever
05-16-2010, 05:22 AM
best shooters(no particular order) :

Ritualo
Caidic
that Moon guy in korea who shoos 75% from the 3point line
Jimmy Alapag

granadaddy
05-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Eun Kyung Moon, Takehiko Orimo, Allan Caidic, Samboy Lim

toyotascionxd
06-21-2010, 10:11 PM
the whole south korean national team.

mon23
07-20-2010, 08:33 AM

I thought no one would mentions Lee Chung Hee, yes he played for Hyundai during the PABL Invitationals and I think he scored around 80 points and hit 14 triples in one game that had the local newspapers here in a frenzy, it was such an incredible feat. great shooter, Glen Capacio, who was tasked to guard Hee during the ABC championships says he's very difficult to defend with.

Siriwan
07-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Japan's Takuya Kawamura deserves at least a mention. He's a terrific shooter, the best player in Japan by far (better than Tabuse) and recently was awarded as best SG in the William Jones Cup...

olazabal
07-22-2010, 05:51 AM
the whole south korean national team.

Korean NT has been used onto practice shooting without the backboard. Thus, the entire team can shoot outside.

CKR13
07-29-2010, 09:30 AM
Will vouch for Takuya Kawamura or Wang Zhipeng

PacificRims
09-10-2010, 04:13 AM
How about Tanguy Ngombo of Qatar? He is deserves a mention at least. He scored like a demon at the 2010 Stankovic Cup. He is a future star on the rise.

aiuou
09-24-2010, 10:52 PM
If Xu Yong is health, he would be the best PG of Asia now.

WhiteWest121
09-29-2010, 10:23 AM
If Xu Yong is health, he would be the best PG of Asia now.

Xu Yong is not even a pointguard. Do you Chinese posters even know what you are talking about? I highly doubt that a Chinese poster from China who knows how to speak real Chinese where Xu Yong is discussed on Chinese message boards would not know that Xu Yong is not a pointguard. Look at all these "new" Chinese posters that have popped up in these recent months just before and after the 2010 FIBA World Basketball hampionship. Are you a real Chinese poster? Or maybe just some poster of another race or nationality that is trying to start trouble for Chinese by saying things that are not true and trying to turn everyone against them?

People do not even know whether or not any of these new "Chinese "posters are real or not and whether what they say is their real opinion or whether or not they are just saying bad things about China just to get other posters to attack them and to get them to do their dirty work for them and out them down. Just listen to the controversial comments that these immoral people say seemingly trying offend people and annoy people, in order to instigate conflict and try to provoke other posters into doing bad things to China and trying to turn other people against China.

I noticed that other people sometimes create different usernames and use other people's old abandoned usernames who are long since gone from this board and who mysteriously even though they signed up only a few days ago maybe have several dozen to several hundred posts. These people seem to come to this message board and make a username and post just to post messages badmouthing China to turn other people against them and to promote the false scapegoating effect of them.

Who knows whether any of you posters are real or not anymore, I think that there is just too much anti-China hysteria and contempt going on these days on every message board and forum all across the Internet.

leencoo12
10-02-2010, 07:07 AM
Fadi El Khatib

Is fadi el khatib a shooting guard? he is more a legitimate small forward for me... as far as the best shooting guard in asia is concern.... ill go with mark "the spark" caguioa... arguablly the best offensive player on the philippine national team.... he find so many ways to score.... he can shoot from the three point line, isolate one on one, mid range jump shooter, penetrate inside, great open court player and most importantly can break the defense with his killer cross over moves and tear drop shot ala tony parker the most versatile offensive player of the philippines!!!