Best European Leagues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best European Leagues

(Originally posted by Matiz, 01-02-2004, 06:03 AM)

Matiz
    01-02-2004, 06:03 AM

You probably all noticed till now that I'm obsessed with rankings sooo- I made a list of the best euro leagues. Rankings were made on the basis of the last 3-4 years.
    I know most of you won't agree with many things I wrote down here. Any comments are welcome...

1. ACB Spain
    There is no doubt about that as far as I am concerned. They have good marketing, tv-ratings, and most of european stars want to play in acb. Euroleague champion Barcelona, Uleb champion Valencia, powerhouses like Tau, Real, Unicaja... acb is the most competitive league in Europe. no.1

2. LEGA Italy
    They lost some of the attraction with Kinder falling apart, but they still have Benneton which is almost every season fighting for championships at f4, Siena, Skipper. Imo with old Kinder they would be very near to Spanish league.

3. HEBA Greece
    This year Greek clubs are not playing the way I expected in euroleague, I think this is just a bad period for them, so overall Greek league is third in europe. Panathinaikos, Olympiakos, Aek, Paok...

4. (ABA: ex-Yugo)
    Many says that ABA should not be valuated as a league, because aba is not a national championship so this 4th place could be considered as an option. On the other hand this league was the best one in Europe untill 90's. ABA is somewhere in the middle between the great 3 and next folowing leagues (France, Russia,
    Turkey). Nesxt year league will be even stronger with newcomer Partizan. Better clubs: Cibona, Olimpija, Crvena Zvezda, Krka (arguably ) Reflex...

5. France
    Imo opinion french league is overrated. Asvel and Pau-Ortez were always in the lower middle of the euroleague and the teams participating in Uleb-cup present no bigger threat (Gravelines, Cholet, Le Mans). French NT strenght doesn't have much in common with french league... The sad thing (for bball) is... they are no.5

6. Serbia
    League that is mostly underrated, because it is unknown to most people. Some teams are missing in the first part of the league (ABA) which is the reason I've putted Serbian league after French (I'm still in doubt...). Serbian league produces lots of talents every year, with financial injection- when teams could sign a long tem contracts, league would come near to the Big Three...

7. Russia
    The difference (in every aspect)between the leading club(CSKA) and the others from the bottom are enormous. Financialy they are not solid, every year masses of players are returning from Russia in the middle of the season (this year: Mujezinovic, Udrih, Spahija...). One big club (CSKA) can't be the reason the league is considered great...

8. Turkey
    I actually don't know much about that one. I will be glad to hear anything you know...

8. Germany
    Another overrated league. Hello!? Alba, for last few years, is weaker than most of the teams from Italy and Spain that are playing in uleb-cup. With one season surprise Frankfurt Skyliners, they didn't impress me a bit. The league is tied and very exciting-nice to watch but just doesn't have the quality imo...

9. Slovenia
    Lack of depth is why I've putted Slo league behind German. Union Olimpija is surprising every season with so-called crap anonimous team, Krka last year lost in Uleb-finals after defeating "half of acb" (this year they are defeating themselves ), Lasko managed to play an euroleague season few years back... other clubs are not mentionable(maybee Slovan talentwise- produced: Stepania, Skita, Lakovic, Maravic, Slokar, Samake, Nesterovic)

10.Lithuania
    Most of you guys know much more than I do, so if I'll write too much about Lithuanian league It'll most likely sound stupid... Anyway, Zalgiris is this year dangerous as result of Sabonis's comeback, Lietuvos Rytas is playing constantly good in Uleb cup. Other teams are not at this level. I think (more of a question than a statement)that money is the biggest problem in Lithuania- same as in ex-Yuga; and that is the reason the league is not as succesfull.

11.Croatia
    Croatian clubs are facing the same problems like Serbian and Slovenian league: money. So for now they serve as talent production for bigger clubs. Cibona could surprise this year in euroleague, Zadar won last years Aba, while Split has imo one of the most talented teams in the world (Kedzo, Ukic, Pasalic, Orsulic, Kastropil...).

12.Israel

13.Poland
    Zalgirinis
    01-02-2004, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by Matiz

7. Russia
    The difference (in every aspect)between the leading club(CSKA) and the others from the bottom are enormous. Financialy they are not solid, every year masses of players are returning from Russia in the middle of the season (this year: Mujezinovic, Udrih, Spahija...). One big club (CSKA) can't be the reason the league is considered great...
    Well, its your opinion about this league ranking and I respect it, but I dont agree (and dont want to go further in it).

I want to correct you on smth. Russia has not only one big club, but 3 big clubs or better to say 2 bigs clubs (Uniks and Perme) and one superclub (CSKA). Russian federation forbid their clubs to play in ULEB Cup, but that doesnt make Uniks and Perme weak. I think these teams would be amongst ULEB Cup's favourites and such as Uniks would likely win your beloved Serbian league...
    Matiz
    01-02-2004, 10:00 AM

...my beloved???... ok don't push it...
    Juan Carlos Nadal
    01-03-2004, 03:49 AM

1. ACB Spain
    2. LEGA Italy
    I agree with you about these two.
    3. HEBA Greece
    Apart from the teams you mentioned, there is also Maroussi, who unfortunately plays for FIBA. I believe that if Maroussi played in the Euroleague, they could have done much better than OSFP, PAO or AEK.
    I like this league. Too bad Partizan is not there too.
    5. France
    Boring stuff.
    6. Serbia/Croatia/Slovenia
    All ex-jugo leagues have deteriorated in quality due to ABA, but still they produce a hell of a lot of talent.
    7. Russia
    I believe that UNICS, URAL, Dinamo, and maybe Khimki are very strong clubs even for european standards. CSKA is from another planet and that's why these teams look mediocre.
    8. Turkey
    Efes, Ulker, and then the chaos.
    8. Germany
    Agreed
    10.Lithuania
    Agreed.
    12.Israel
    Booooriiing...
    13.Poland
    They have a couple of good teams (Slask, Prokom, Anwil). I can see their club basketball to develop quickly. Even Polonia Warbud seems to have a decent team. I'll be watching them.
    FRANKY 13
    01-06-2004, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by Juan Carlos Nadal
    1. ACB Spain
    2. LEGA Italy
    I agree with you about these two.
    3. HEBA Greece
    Apart from the teams you mentioned, there is also Maroussi, who unfortunately plays for FIBA. I believe that if Maroussi played in the Euroleague, they could have done much better than OSFP, PAO or AEK.
    I like this league. Too bad Partizan is not there too.
    5. France
    Boring stuff.
    6. Serbia/Croatia/Slovenia
    All ex-jugo leagues have deteriorated in quality due to ABA, but still they produce a hell of a lot of talent.
    7. Russia
    I believe that UNICS, URAL, Dinamo, and maybe Khimki are very strong clubs even for european standards. CSKA is from another planet and that's why these teams look mediocre.
    8. Turkey
    Efes, Ulker, and then the chaos.
    9. Germany
    Agreed
    10.Lithuania
    Agreed.
    11.Israel
    Booooriiing...
    12.Poland
    They have a couple of good teams (Slask, Prokom, Anwil). I can see their club basketball to develop quickly. Even Polonia Warbud seems to have a decent team. I'll be watching them.
    I agree with all of it except=the russian superleague should in the sixth place.but thats it...[Serbia/Croatia/Slovenia - 7th place]
    hagakure
    01-07-2004, 07:00 AM

1. Spain
    2. Italy

3. ummm...
    BallStorm
    01-12-2004, 09:39 AM

Imo opinion french league is overrated. Asvel and Pau-Ortez were always in the lower middle of the euroleague and the teams participating in Uleb-cup present no bigger threat (Gravelines, Cholet, Le Mans). French NT strenght doesn't have much in common with french league... The sad thing (for bball) is... they are no.5
    5. France
    Boring stuff.
    So the french championship seems to posses a lot of fans in europe
    Matiz
    01-12-2004, 11:01 AM

So the french championship seems to posses a lot of fans in europe
    Don't get me wrong- I would love to see strong French league- that would be good for european basketball. At the moment it just doesn't convience me, but on the other hand it's true that I am faaar from being french league expert.
    FRANKY 13
    01-12-2004, 11:55 AM

Don't get me wrong- I would love to see strong French league- that would be good for european basketball. At the moment it just doesn't convience me, but on the other hand it's true that I am faaar from being french league expert.
    I agree with Matiz.I'd love to see a more competitive french league but french teams are not creating something special on the court.I must admit I m not a french league expert too,although I have seen some pretty good games.I think french teams are not weak,but...boring though.They have players with wonderful athletic skills who mostly waste their time in a run and gun basket,as if they were on an open-court,playing with friends.

I 'm not saying they have no tactic.But I believe that France hasnt got a real basketball tradition yet,so although there are many potential superstars in France[people from the former colonies are just unbelieveable and there we always be a Rigaudeau...],people in France,and I mean the great majority,isnt taking basketball seriously.Consequently,the french league hasnt got enough good players,cause the great prospects leave France too early and the foreign players are average ones...

I really think France is going to be a european superpower in the next 5 years[maximum].And i'm sure that,as more people will get interested in basketball,the french league's level will improve.

ps.This is just my opinion.no hard feelings,although I know I didnt have to be so polite
    ps2=another remark about the french basketball style=Is it an impression or do ALL french teams lack a "classical" center?
    EverGreen
    01-12-2004, 12:06 PM

hmm..sound a bit familiar that Gousgouni..reminds me of PAO in the last 2 years
    BallStorm
    01-13-2004, 02:22 AM

Originally posted by FRANKY 13

ps2=another remark about the french basketball style=Is it an impression or do ALL french teams lack a "classical" center? [/b]
    Well...a center? what is it exactly?

You're right (again) Franky 13 . Big men with wide shoulders are rare here. there are some in the top teams , but elsewhere not much. let's look after them :

pau : mate skelin/ julian (center for the french NT )
    asvel : Guylas (150 k > that's a center man )
    besançon : malcom mackey (not the greatest one)
    bourg :marjo bosnjak ( 1 month contract?)
    chalon : mc donald (last year in the same place: udonis haslem)
    gravelines : korytek (big and strong Polish)
    le mans : nicevic (smart , likeable croatian player)
    paris : marvin stone (perhaps more a P.forward)
    reims : vignier
    roanne : maktar n'diaye ( the nasty one)

they are a lot more american Playmakers here than centers. they are cheaper. and the french league is not very rich. There are not too many french big men too. the basket here is , as long as i know , far less physical than it is in greece. if a tradition exists , it's coming from the 1993 limoge's victory in the european championship : big D , and crafty plays to hide the lack of power.
    Matiz
    01-13-2004, 02:33 AM

And he is one of most effective centers in europe.
    bourg :marjo bosnjak ( 1 month contract?)
    He is in a special club called: I played for Krka in the begining of the season...

Actually whole Europe lack's of centers, with an exception of clubs like Maccabi, Cska, Barcelona ... money!
    FRANKY 13
    01-13-2004, 02:51 AM

they are a lot more american Playmakers here than centers. they are cheaper. and the french league is not very rich. There are not too many french big men too. the basket here is , as long as i know , far less physical than it is in greece. if a tradition exists , it's coming from the 1993 limoge's victory in the european championship : big D , and crafty plays to hide the lack of power.[ballstorm]

true.although about the money,can you believe that the french league is now richer than the greek one!greek teams have an average budget of about 1,5-2 mil euros.[only aris,aek and of course pao,olympiakos have a budget that exceeds 2,5 mil],while in France the average is about 3-3,5mil.

And if you wonder how the level of play is still higher in Greece,I would say[briefly ]that it is due to the reputation and the prestige the greek league has still,in spite of the crisis.And the tax system could also be a reason why the french league isnt so attractive for foreign players.Of course,i'm only speculating here..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And he is one of most effective centers in europe.[Matiz]

I never thought i would agree he is a good player but i must admit he is quite efficient.

Actually whole Europe lacks centers, with an exception of clubs like Maccabi, Cska, Barcelona ... money![matiz]

true,and even they lack a quality classical center.I guess only Vujicic is a real one...ps.i dont consider Femerling as being a dominant center.good player but nothing more to my mind.And dont tell me anything about Duenas
    Matiz
    01-13-2004, 03:34 AM

-Vujcic- can play pf and c
    -Sabonis
    -Blair
    -Peker- although undersized
    -Ostojic

those are the true centers at the moment in euroleague, the others are not as effective, or really undersized, but forced to play c cause nobody else can.
    hagakure
    01-13-2004, 05:46 AM

[ There are not too many french big men too. the basket here is , as long as i know , far less physical than it is in greece.. ]
    That's true. The greek league is very physical. All american players who play here have said that.
    BallStorm
    01-13-2004, 10:13 AM

true.although about the money,can you believe that the french league is now richer than the greek one!greek teams have an average budget of about 1,5-2 mil euros.[only aris,aek and of course pao,olympiakos have a budget that exceeds 2,5 mil],while in France the average is about 3-3,5mil.

I don't know with precision the average budget of the french championship league. But i'm pretty sure that it's less than 3.3/3.5 million. I may be wrong , but i would that the average budget is something like 2.6-3 Millions (euros).

And if you wonder how the level of play is still higher in Greece,I would say[briefly ]that it is due to the reputation and the prestige the greek league has still,in spite of the crisis.And the tax system could also be a reason why the french league isnt so attractive for foreign players.Of course,i'm only speculating here..

the prestige stuff is interesting. Perhaps that the greek league continues effectively to be attractive due to his eminent history. that's a point i did not think about.
    Concerning the french tax system , let's say that it's one of the worse in europe. Each player coming in france and perceiving a wage has systematically to pay very important taxes. There are numerous examples of player who refused to come back in france because they were asked to pay this damed taxes.
    On the other hand , club's finance are checked by an independant institution and as long as i know , every player perceive the wage he has been comited

if you wonder how the level of play is still higher in Greece

you said that. i didn't. I don't have any certitude about that. you would have asked the same question a few years ago (just one , may be), i would have told you that greece was 10* better. now..? hard to say...

vBulletin v3.0.8, Copyright ©2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Last edited by stuart; 05-21-2006, 04:24 AM.
    http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
    http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
    http://www.interbasket.net

(continued from post above...)

FRANKY 13
    01-13-2004, 12:52 PM

I don't know with precision the average budget of the french championship league. But i'm pretty sure that it's less than 3.3/3.5 million. I may be wrong , but i would that the average budget is something like 2.6-3 Millions (euros).[BALLSTORM]

i had read a "basket news" magazine so i suppose they were telling the truth

no seriously now,i'm sure about the facts.and i said between 3 and 3,5 millions[not 3,3].Anyway,even if it's 2,6 to 3 millions as u say,it still is higher than in Greece.although the tax system is a serious problem...

if you wonder how the level of play is still higher in Greece
    you said that. i didn't. I don't have any certitude about that. you would have asked the same question a few years ago (just one , may be), i would have told you that greece was 10* better. now..? hard to say...[ballstorm]

i really didnt mean to offend u[sorry if i did ].but when we say that the average play level is now lower in the greek league,we[the greeks ]mean that the 3 top teams have become weaker[aek,pana and olympiakos].the rest of the teams are just as strong as 5-6 years before.

do you remember a game between Le Mans[1st in France] and Makedonikos[8th in Greece with a 7-8 record],about 2 months ago for the uleb cup?Makedonikos won in France 69-73.

of course it was one game.But believe me the result wouldnt be surprising if you had seen some greek league games...I cant find a better,recent exemple.

Of course,i respect your opinion and dont aim to change your mind... oh!and i didnt say the french league sucks...u know my opinion about that.
    BallStorm
    01-15-2004, 02:20 AM

i really didnt mean to offend u[sorry if i did ].
    I hope you didn't

do you remember a game between Le Mans[1st in France] and Makedonikos[8th in Greece with a 7-8 record],about 2 months ago for the uleb cup?Makedonikos won in France 69-73.

makenonikos beat le mans. makedonikos is 8th in greece , le mans is first in france , so all the 8 first teams in the greek league are better than the french ones?

nice solipsism! are you a sort of sophist? (just kidding)

Of course,i respect your opinion and dont aim to change your mind... oh!and i didnt say the french league sucks...u know my opinion about that.

In fact you may be right. i did not say that the french championship was better. just that I did not have any certainty about this. let's say that a contest opposing the first 8 of the french championship to the first 8 of the greek league could be interesting . ..but i keep in mind that you know the both greek and french championships , traveler-Franky , so your opinion might be the best of ours.
    FRANKY 13
    01-15-2004, 02:48 AM

makenonikos beat le mans. makedonikos is 8th in greece , le mans is first in france , so all the 8 first teams in the greek league are better than the french ones?
    ok.javoue que mon petit syllogisme est un peu con!But to my mind this exemple is not as ludicrous as it seems to be.And the only thing i'm pretty sure of is that Makedonikos is objectively at least a bit better than all the frensh teams except Pau and ASVEL.And i say objectively,cause no frensh team except the two traditional powers has players like Shane Heal,Ira Clark,Morgunov and Giorgos Sigalas.But ok,its maybe only my opinion,I give u that and i stop my "I know everything" nerv-racking attitude.lol

In fact you may be right. i did not say that the french championship was better. just that I did not have any certainty about this. let's say that a contest opposing the first 8 of the french championship to the first 8 of the greek league could be interesting . ..but i keep in mind that you know the both greek and french championships , traveler-Franky , so your opinion might be the best of ours.

Well maybe.I guess we'll never find out. oh and the nick[traveler-Franky].....my god,it sounds horrible
    BallStorm
    01-15-2004, 08:24 AM

.And the only thing i'm pretty sure of is that Makedonikos is objectively at least a bit better than all the frensh teams except Pau and ASVEL.And i say objectively,cause no frensh team except the two traditional powers has players like Shane Heal,Ira Clark,Morgunov and Giorgos Sigalas.
    Giorgos sigalas himself? WWWHouuuuaaaahhhhh i almost fell of my chair ! so many eminent names !

oh and the nick[traveler-Franky].....my god,it sounds horrible
    sorry , i found it rather beautiful (but ballstorm stays the worst , no way)
    FRANKY 13
    01-15-2004, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by BallStorm
    Giorgos sigalas himself? WWWHouuuuaaaahhhhh i almost fell of my chair ! so many eminent names !
    sorry , i found it rather beautiful (but ballstorm stays the worst , no way)

end of story
    Last edited by stuart; 05-21-2006, 04:25 AM.
    http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
    http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
    http://www.interbasket.net

Comment

nice thread! I wasn't a member when it was created and i believe the past 2 years many things have changed so here it is:

1. ACB spain. no doubt this is the best league in europe. They r miles ahead in organization, arenas, attendance, marketing, tv ratings and they have the best players in europe.
      2. LEGA italy. In all aspects the second best league in europe
      3. Russian league. Many great teams, lots of money, good arenas. Could become nr.1 in a few years. A shame they only have 1 team in the euroleague
      4. A1 greece. Still trying to restore its former glory when greek teams were present every year in the final4 for 9 years in a row, and alot of money was thrown into bball. Meanwhile there r some great arenas and decentralization, but the minor teams still r poorly organized and except oly and pao there r no consistend high standard teams
      5. Lithuanian league. They could be higher if they had more than 2 teams in a high level
      6. Turkish league. They finally reached the point of having more than 2 high level teams
      7. German league. Good attendances, decent arenas, and good marketing. Better than the french league anyway
      8,9,10 french, adriatic and polish
      sigpic

The basketball shop.

https://www.interbasket.net/forums/s...-Obradovic-Era

Comment

things definately changed over the past few years...

1. ACB (Spain)
        ...still
        by far surpassing all the other leagues by attendance, organization, tv rights, biggest budget's per average and is the only league that could be described as a spectacle compared to others. Also it goes in depth unlike Russian or Greek league...

2. Lega (Italy)
        Lega declined a lot over the past few years, since Russia and Spain are gathering all their best players year after year. Also just an opinion but it seems to me that Lega hasn't improved a lot in terms of budget, attendance and organization... in fact I sometimes have a feeling all those things were on much higher level few years back.
        Teams like Roma, Milano and Napoli with ambitions is the bright side of this league, with those 3 teams being competitive the league gets a whole different media attention...

3. Heba (Greece)
        Although far from it's previous glorious days, Olympiakos slowely rising back to where they belong in euroleague and Greek results in Uleb cup over the past few seasons show that the league might be underated by most people.
        They can't gather as many strong clubs as Russians do, but due to bigger competitiveness I belive overall Greek league is still no.3 infront of Rusia...

4. Russia
        From every interview I've read comming from players from Russia they've all pointed out one thing: 5-6 strong teams... while the rest could get beaten by CSKA by 50 points margin if the champions would be properly motivated.
        Russian oligarchs are investing a lot of money, but obviously the infrastructure and organization and the other things that "make the league" are somehow forgotten behind.
        I'd say they're heavily underated by Uleb, while considering the league as a whole overated by fans...

5. Adriatic
        The gap behind Russia is huge, but looking at all those hordes of players leaving this league year after year it's still incredible that the whole area can assemble so much talent that they keep on going in any competition year after year...
        No team really stood up this season, 10 teams being almost equaly competitive, and the fact that a team like Slovan didn't even manage to qualify to top8 says a lot about the league's depth which imo putted them in front of the followers...
        again many might argue this isn't even a league (in that case put Turkey on no.5 and Serbia on no.6)

6. Turkey
        The worst thing that is happening to this league is having Efes and Ulker with guaranteed contracts... Fenerbahce, Turk Telekom and Tofas are missing from the old days... those teams weren't bad at all...

7. Germany
        I consider French league a bit stronger due to better lower ranked teams, I'd also put Baltic league in front of german one regarding the results in europe, but German league by far better in all other aspects- organization, budgets, infrastructure... all they need is an europe based Dirk to get some results and attention...

8. France
        lots of average teams that combine for a decent league, but no team is getting any results for quite a while, excluding Asvel this year in UlebCup (eventhough I expected morefrom them)... just as German league it gets filled with too many american or nauralised players of doubtfull quality...

9. Baltic league
        by my opinion it contains too many teams- imagine how the level of competition would increase if instead of 16 only 12 or10 teams would play- this way it looses it's advantage over the France and Germany due to Rytas, Žalgiris and Ventpils...

10. Israel
        Due to Maccabi's dominance in this league it gets overlooked very easily, but I think they definately deserve this spot...

11. Belgium

12. Ucraine

13. Poland

14. Bulgaria

15. ?
        Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
        That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

7. Germany
          I consider French league a bit stronger due to better lower ranked teams, I'd also put Baltic league in front of german one regarding the results in europe, but German league by far better in all other aspects- organization, budgets, infrastructure... all they need is an europe based Dirk to get some results and attention...
          While I'd agree with you on the strength of the leagues (France still stronger than Germany because of better lower ranked teams) I actually doubt the rest and imo it's interesting to make a comparision with France here.
          Germany has a good name for organization in Europe because of teams like Alba Berlin or the Skyliners - when we look at the lower ranked teams though there's not much left on behalf of organization, smaller teams like Karlsruhe (or WĂ¼rzburg last season) even struggle to pay their players on time or owe them money - something we usually only know from the greek A1.
          Now let's have a look on the spectator numbers of the 2004-2005 season (couldn't find anything alike for France for the current season): The BBL averaged 3.430 spectators per game (16 teams), while the ProA averaged 3.149 (18 teams). Not much of a difference - but the ProA on the other hand made much more money with TV rights - 2.6 Million Euro compared to the BBLs laughable 50.000 Euro (per Season!). As for budgets being far higher in Germany: I don't think so, the top overall budgets in Germany are the ones of Alba and Bamberg, both around 5 Million Euro, while the top team in France (Pau Orthez) has a player budget of 2.7 Million Euro - should be about the same (or even a bit more) in an overall budget. In the ProA 13 teams had a player budget higher than 1 Million Euro, the overall average expenses per team in the 2004-2005 season reached 3.27 Million Euro. I don't know all german budgets as they don't get announced officially, but from those I know I can tell you that they're not much higher (if higher at all) in medium and lower ranked teams. Overall I'd say that both leagues are pretty much on the same level, with small advantages for the ProA because of the lower ranked teams.

Of course I can't close this post without my own ranking

1. ACB (Spain)
          No discussions here imo, they're clearly the best league in Europe in all aspects.

2. LegaA (Italy)
          I agree that the LegaA declined, but imo it is still on 2nd place for overall strength of the league, let alone the other aspects (I only rank by strength here though).

3. A1 (Greece)
          Russia is coming closer but the lower ranked teams in Russia didn't reach the ones in Greece yet imo, if other aspects than strength would play a role, Greece would drop in my ranking though.

4. SuperleagueA (Russia)
          Coming closer to Italy and Greece, if their continue their development and finally develop more good local players, the overall level of the SuperleagueA will surpass the ones of the LegaA and A1 soon.

5.Adriatic League
          Still one of the most underrated leagues in Europe. Things like budget, infrastructure and other aspects are not as good as in other leagues, but looking only at the overall strength the league is definately on no bad level.

6. D1 (Turkey)
          Imo a bit weaker this season compared to the last one, mainly because of the decline of Ulker. Besiktas is improving, but not on the level they should be, looking at their investments.

7. LKL (Lithuania)
          Improved a lot over the last few years and altough their lower ranked teams are weaker than the french and german ones imo I ranked them higher than those two leagues in overall strength this time.

8. ProA (France)
          Reasons stated above

9. BBL (Germany)
          Reasons stated above

10. BSL (Israel)
          One top team, one really strong team - but the overall level of the league is too weak to rank Israel higher imo.

11. BLB (Belgium)
          League improved a lot, teams like Bree, Oostende, Dexia and Charleroi are really decent, the league is too small however.

12. DBL (Poland)

Comment

i believe the german league is becoming better by the year and the french worse by the year. In the german semis there is bremerhaven for example and alba is struggling to reach the finals and has also lost to bremerhaven in berlin during the regular season. In the other semis bamberg is obviously not as strong as koeln but they have the homecourt advantage. There r also alot of competitive teams in the league like the skyliners who didn't even reach the semis. From what i have seen, the organization and marketing of the league is excelent (in terms of the strength of the league of course). I haven't seen anything good coming from the french league in almost a decade-it looks like they r losing interest in the sport. Both leagues should focus on promoting bball through their nba superstars (parker, diao, nowitzki). There is much potential but not much more atm.

As for the adriatic league: teams don't really care how they place in this league. Some have guaranted contracts and some qualify throu their national leagues for the euroleague, thus losing interest to play good. Sorry but i do not consider this as a league
            sigpic

The basketball shop.

Comment

Originally posted by qiangdade
              i believe the german league is becoming better by the year and the french worse by the year. In the german semis there is bremerhaven for example and alba is struggling to reach the finals and has also lost to bremerhaven in berlin during the regular season. In the other semis bamberg is obviously not as strong as koeln but they have the homecourt advantage. There r also alot of competitive teams in the league like the skyliners who didn't even reach the semis. From what i have seen, the organization and marketing of the league is excelent (in terms of the strength of the league of course). I haven't seen anything good coming from the french league in almost a decade-it looks like they r losing interest in the sport. Both leagues should focus on promoting bball through their nba superstars (parker, diao, nowitzki). There is much potential but not much more atm.
              I can't really argue about which of those two leagues is the better one, as I said I see both on a pretty similar level with small advantages for France - but there are reasons to see it the other way around as well. There also is not much reason to deny the decline of the french league over the last few years and there hasn't been coming anything good out of it for years - but on the other hand one has to ask what came out of the german league? Bamberg this year reached the Top16 against teams like struggling AEK or Olimpija and ended it with a 0-6 record, while before german teams didn't reach the Top16 for years.
              The point where I disagree though is that the german league got better this year, imo the league is considerably weaker than last season. Alba is a decent offensive side but plays absolutely no defense, something that did cost them the 2nd round in the ULEB Cup btw (and explains why they struggle against 5-men rotation Bremerhaven), Frankfurt turned from a really decent team into a 0-10 UC team and Bamberg seems to be burnt out after their championship and their first EL season. This is the only reason why I see championship chances for Cologne actually (who reduced their budget for this season), while the fact that a team like this years Ludwigsburg reached the playoffs doesn't really speak for the league. Last season there were also small but strong sides like Giessen or Artland, making the league more competitive than it is this year imo.
              As for the organization and marketing of the league I'm not that sure that it is excellent (ok, compared to Greece where marketing is non-existant in the A1 it is ). In the 2004-2005 season 42% of the league media range was achieved with the Frankfurt Skyliners involved, this number speaks for Frankfurt and against the league in general (I don't know about Bambergs and Berlins numbers, but assuming that their numbers were pretty high as well you can forget about the rest of the league). Things like the expansion of the league now or stories like those of the MBC, Hagen or WĂ¼rzburg in the past don't look too well either, in most cases when the leagues manages to draw the attention of the media it is because of scandals.
              But Germany also has the problem that Basketball is not Sport #2 or #3 in TV here - but rather #15...other sports are just way more present in television, leading to the sad situation that Bambergs Euroleague games were not shown in TV at all, but rather coule be followed as a highlight show late at night, sometimes even a day after the team played. (The show even managed to average only 10.000 viewers one night, while a cooking show that was shown in the middle of the night averaged 20.000). I also watched several news magazines (Tagesschau, etc..) this season when Alba won the Cup - and not a single one reported about the Cup Final, but still had a lot of sport news.
              Like you said, there's quite some potential in Germany (especially given the number of people who play basketball here) but I'm not that sure that the BBL is heading into the right direction atm.

Comment

Originally posted by qiangdade
                As for the adriatic league: teams don't really care how they place in this league. Some have guaranted contracts and some qualify throu their national leagues for the euroleague, thus losing interest to play good. Sorry but i do not consider this as a league
                to an extent yes... but there is more...
                Olimpija and Cibona are two teams that mostly care about euroleague where they leave most of their energy for the week, falling short in adriatic league later because of that. Partizan is a whole different story since they have 4 other competitors in Serbian league for the title and they have to be sure to get at least a spot in uleb-cup (divided among first 3 in adriatic league) otherwise they might end up with a catastrophe for them playing just in adriatic league for a season eventhough they might have much bigger succes in europe.
                Serbian clubs +Zadar, Bosna, Slovan and Široki are trying hard to get that UlebCup spot, so the league is not as uncompetitive as a lot of people that contradict this league would like to think, eventhough such situations as you described can happen at the later stage of the competition... dividing euroleague spots through adriatic league is impossible due to political reasons, but hopefully when additional EL spot would be granted to the league the interest of the teams would increase...

anyway if you'd ask me, the way the level of Slovenian basketball dropped in the last 4-5 years of adriatic league, and due to sponsor money running out from our teams in favor to financing the league in a major percent (last season reportedly 90% of money came from Slovenia), I am not really sure if I wouldn't prefer Slovenian league without adriatic one...
                Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
                That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

1. Spain

2. Italy

3. Greece

4. Russia

5. France

6. Germany

7. Balkan

8. Turcey

9. Lithuania

10. Israel

and meny more

polish league sux. Just Prokom can play a good basketball, nobody more
                  Last edited by Abyss; 05-21-2006, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Abyss: in English it sounds Lithuania, not Litwa.

well, Polish league doesn't suck imho, there are a lot of intrigue. one club is participating in Euroleague, while others are not many more weaker.

Comment

@trifilli

no reason to quote such a massive post-lol

I think we agree here that the french and the german league are about the same. Some evidence points to one direction and some to the other. I just stated the feeling i get when watching albas efforts here in berlin and some other like bambergs plan to extend their arena so they can play at home in the euroleague(they used nurembergs arena this season which is 200km away). Maybe there is more of a basketball hype in berlin than in other german cities (i am not saying that they r bball crazy over here don't get me wrong- but the sport does get some attention every once in a while). It is sad that in 2 countries that have produced nba stars like dirk, diao and parker, basketball is getting less attention than bicycle racing, handball, tennis and other sports.

AH!!! another major reason why this year the german league maybe worse than last season is the upcoming football world cup held in germany. There is only football in german minds right now
                      sigpic

The basketball shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Abyss

polish league sux. Just Prokom can play a good basketball, nobody more
                        ---- That's not the way Philip. JCN
                        You are from Poland, and you write something like that ?

Polish league is from season better and better! This season was very good for Prokom. Very good season was also for Anwil. Big suprices in DBL was how play Czarni and Polpak (newcomer on 4th place - WOW). Battle about play-offs was in this season very hard, and very good. Everyone say that this season was the best season in 2-3 years! Polish league have big sponsor!

In Poland play very good players, this time like Rick Apodaca, Jerome Beasley, Chudney Gray, Christian Dalmau, Michael Andersen, Goran Jagodnik, Michal Ignerski, ... and much more!

Think about it, ok?
                        Last edited by Juan Carlos Nadal; 05-21-2006, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Your're right my jamaal, but when you must read about youre contry legue not see it in TV thats stupid. I'm maybe disrespecting my country legue but thats the truth. I see that clubs you written are good but Prokom destroyds everybody

PHILIPeurobasket pozdrawiam Cie daj GG

Comment

Funny thing is that the Belgians give quite some attention to basketball, but their league isn't that big of a deal.
                            If they can create a stronger league it would become a very popular sport I'm sure.

I think most of you had the rankings about right.

1. Spain
                            2. Italy
                            3. Greece
                            4. Russia
                            5. Adriatic
                            ....Turkey
                            ....France
                            8 Germany
                            ....Baltic
                            9. Israel
                            10.Poland
                            ....Belgium
                            Last edited by Victorious; 05-22-2006, 01:31 AM.
                            PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Abyss
                              I see that clubs you written are good but Prokom destroyds everybody

PHILIPeurobasket pozdrawiam Cie daj GG
                              Prokom has money, so has good players! If Czarni or Polpak will be have money they will can also fight with Prokom ...

Moje GG - 1565454, ale jestem zazwyczaj wieczorami

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information