PDA

View Full Version : News for the 2007/08 BBL season

Pages : [1] 2

CWILL
05-16-2007, 07:54 PM
Even though the play-offs haven't started yet, some teams already announced new players or contract extensions for the new season.

ALBA Berlin extended the contract with Guard Julius Jenkins. The 26 year old american will remain two more years in Berlin.
Berlin already has eight players for next season: Chris Owens (player's option), Koko Archibong, Johannes Herber, Nico Simon, Philip Zwiener, Oskar Faßler and Yannick Evans.

Meanwhile TBB Trier re-signed Point Guard Marcus Taylor and Josh Almanson. German-american Jonathan Moore, who played for second division team Bayreuth was signed by Trier too.

Gießen 46ers re-signed with Point Guard Obie Trotter and inked german talent Johannes Lischka, who had a very good development at their farmteam TV Lich.

After not making the play-offs, Oldenburg fired coach Don Beck!

Both new teams Ulm and Paderborn had an outstanding first year in the BBL. They never really had to fear relegation and want to keep their players.
Ulm signed the smallest Center in the world Jeff Gibbs for 3 more years.
And Paderborn re-signed german Marius Nolte and american Steven Esterkamp.

Igor Perovic, who had the only triple double in this season, signed another year with Tübingen.

robbe
05-22-2007, 12:53 PM
Predrag Krunic is the new coach of EWE Baskets Oldenburg!

I think this is a good move. Don Beck did not get anything going at Oldenburg, despite having the 3rd-4th highest budget in the league. Oldenburg are the underarchievers of the last 5 years.
With Krunic, finally another european coach has arrived. I expect him to bring in some european players and find a good mixture, just like he did at Bonn.

Trifilli
05-22-2007, 02:06 PM
Good signing. And there's hope again that things might change a bit next season in the BBL. At least some of the clubs might stop being development/college teams. Hopefully Frankfurt will be next...
With their budget and a coach like Krunic (who also has some good contacts, which might help them signing some good euro players) Oldenburg might not immediately turn into a contender, but I'd expect them to be one of the better BBL teams next year.

CWILL
05-23-2007, 11:26 AM
Very good signing! It's good to have such a great coach like Krunic back in BBL!

It will be interesting to see, if Krunic will still count on european players.
When he worked in Bonn he usually relied on Euro players, but now there's no foreigner restriction in BBL. I think even Krunic will have to work with at least 3 or 4 americans on his team.
If I were him, I'd want to keep McCoy, Penigar and Fischer and built a new team around those three players.
I think someone like Carl Krauser should be a nightmare for a coach like Krucic...

Pedrag Krunic has good contacts and brought a lot of great players to Germany. He managed to get players like Aleksandar Nadjfeji, Terrence Rencher, Rimantas Kaukenas, Aleksandar Capin and Branko Milisavljevic for Bonn.
I'm looking forward to that new 07/08 Oldenburg team!

robbe
05-23-2007, 04:31 PM
It will be interesting to see, if Krunic will still count on european players.
When he worked in Bonn he usually relied on Euro players, but now there's no foreigner restriction in BBL. I think even Krunic will have to work with at least 3 or 4 americans on his team.
If I were him, I'd want to keep McCoy, Penigar and Fischer and built a new team around those three players.
I think someone like Carl Krauser should be a nightmare for a coach like Krucic...

Agree. Point Guard position is key, and rumour has it that Oldenburg has already contacted a current playoff participant playing this position.:rolleyes:
But it's weak, good chance that it isn't true. But PG should nevertheless be Krunic' first off season signing.

Krunic' contacts to the balkans have of course been excellent, but great US(-college)-signings like Oluoma Nnamaka have more been down to Arvid Kramer.
I'm very interested in what he will do at Oldenburg.

I'd keep shot blocker Fischer and perhaps veteran crowd favourite McCoy too. Depends on what the latter asks in terms of money and role. Fischer should fit. Needs not too many touches (center would not get that many in Krunic' system anyway) but still very effective. But I'm not so sure whether Penigar, who is no doubt a good individual player, is what Krunic wants at the SF spot. I think PG and PF will be the main contributors on offense.

LuDux
05-23-2007, 07:08 PM
ALBA Berlin extended the contract with Guard Julius Jenkins. The 26 year old american will remain two more years in Berlin.
Berlin already has eight players for next season: Chris Owens (player's option), Koko Archibong, Johannes Herber, Nico Simon, Philip Zwiener, Oskar Faßler and Yannick Evans.

What about Mazeika? He should have 1 more year of contract left.

CWILL
05-27-2007, 10:29 AM
What about Mazeika? He should have 1 more year of contract left.

With Alba now having young german talent Nicolai Simon, who was recently named Rookie of the year, on their team, I don't see any space for Mazeika!

I don't know whether he has still a contract in Berlin, but I don't see him playing there next season. He should try to stay in Bonn where he played okay this season.

Lucky
05-29-2007, 08:47 AM
Hello from Girona. I've read that Marcin Gortat wants to play in ACB or NBA. Any notice about his future?:D

CWILL
05-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Hello from Girona. I've read that Marcin Gortat wants to play in ACB or NBA. Any notice about his future?:D

Gortat was given the advice by the Orlando Magic, that he should leave BBL and play in Italy or Spain.
I think Marcin is going to play Summer League again and if he won't make it to pre-season roster of Orlando, he'll probably look for a team in Spain or Italy.

woma
05-29-2007, 06:12 PM
First he should think about stopping Judson Wallace and Adam Chubb from doing whatever they want in BBL quartefinals, since for now he makes them look like a future Euroleague stars :).

PHILIPeurobasket
05-29-2007, 06:20 PM

Gorata two weeks ago in interview said that his agent talk with some clubs (also Prokom Trefl), but he want spent next season in ACB, and then go to NBA ... Do you know maybe witch club fro mACB think about him :confused:

german
05-29-2007, 07:31 PM
Spoke his agent from the ACB or Spain? In the LEB he could be a starter, but in the ACB he ist only a man for 10 min.

PHILIPeurobasket
05-30-2007, 03:44 AM
Spoke his agent from the ACB or Spain? In the LEB he could be a starter, but in the ACB he ist only a man for 10 min.

They talk about ACB, and Gortat said that good team who fight in Euroleague want him in team ...

robbe
06-07-2007, 01:36 PM
DB Skyliners Frankfurt have signed US(<-- I'm so damn surprised)-Guard Jimmy Hunt from Kemoplast Alpos Sentjur for three years. Any opinions about him?

elaj
06-07-2007, 03:04 PM
DB Skyliners Frankfurt have signed US(<-- I'm so damn surprised)-Guard Jimmy Hunt from Kemoplast Alpos Sentjur for three years. Any opinions about him?
He is a good fella from what I heard, a good person. Very quick point guard with decent defense. When he is "on fire" he can score on everyone and from everywhere. Sometimes he has some problems with decision making, but he improved that in his last season here. He should be cheap as hell - from what I heard he was making around 1500€ per month in Slovenia.

Hunt played at "Snaidero Draft" free agent camp a week ago, I guess Skyliners saw him there. ;)

Joško Poljak Fan
06-07-2007, 03:10 PM
I think he actually has a degree from math :D
damn, I wished Slovan/Helios would get him next season...

DanMajerle
06-07-2007, 04:17 PM
So every Skyliners player will come from the Snaidero camp just like last year, when every new player came from one camp:D

Trifilli
06-09-2007, 08:22 AM
The Skyliners signed Murat Didin on a 2+1 year contract.

An additional info for the guys from Frankfurt: Mike Kalavros is the new assistant coach of Vangelis Alexandris (Kolossos Rhodes) and leaves the Skyliners.

Limitless
06-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Some more coaching news from the BBL: The Giessen 46ers extended the contract with assistant coach Gerald Wasshuber. Wasshuber, who joined the 46ers last season from his native Austria, will stay at least until the end of the 2007-08 campaign. Besides that, the 46ers will announce the signing of another combo guard in the upcoming week.
TBB Trier also announced their new assistant coach. Mike Smith, last at BV Chemnitz 99ers (2nd div), will join the coaching staff of Joe Whelton.

More player signings: A Paderborn newspaper reports that Jason Edwin, who spent the last two seasons with FC Schalke 04 of the 2nd division, has signed with the Paderborn Baskets. And, already confirmed: EWE Baskets Oldenburg signed youngster Daniel Hain, who probably won't get to spend much time on the court after averaging 3.5 PPG last year with Herten of the 2nd division.

Limitless
06-11-2007, 02:52 PM
And the Giessen 46ers once more: The team, which will start its 41st season in the BBL this Fall, announced the signing of G Shawan Robinson, who spent the last season with Newcastle in the UK. Prior to that, the native of North Carolina played college ball for the Clemson Tigers in the Atlantic Coast Conference. Robinson is the widly expected signing from the British Basketball League, since Coach Thorsten Leibenath spent the last season with the Scottish Rocks.

Additional BBL news:

BG Goettingen announced that C Michael Schroeder and F Selim Mulic will stay with the team, who got promoted to the BBL as the champion of the 2nd division North.

CWILL
06-12-2007, 10:48 AM
The rumours have officially been confirmed: Jason Gardner signs with EWE Baskets Oldenburg!
So that's Krunic's new PG...
It's good to see a player like Gardner again in BBL next year.

Meanwhile Jason Conley signed again with Telekom Baskets Bonn!

Trifilli
06-12-2007, 12:25 PM
The Skyliners signed Maksym Shtein (PF/2.06m) from Ulm for the next two years. Shtein, who averaged 7.4ppg and 2.9rpg in the BBL last season and who has a german passport, won't be more than a backup at PF though. Didin said that he'll have to compete for playing time with younger talents.

robbe
06-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Yeah, but I think the signing makes sense. He has a german passport and he's solid. He's someone who knows his role, knows what he can do and what he can't do. Unlike many players in this league.

The Frankfurt budget is a mystery to me. I could probably roughly write down the budget table of teams in the BBL, but Frankfurt? No clue. Only one thing: They're surely not as high any more, as they were three years ago.

Trifilli
06-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Yeah, but I think the signing makes sense. He has a german passport and he's solid. He's someone who knows his role, knows what he can do and what he can't do. Unlike many players in this league.

Well, his signing makes sense if Frankfurt is going to sign a real strong starter for the PF position. I agree with everything you said about him, but he really ain't more than a backup player and we've seen too often in Frankfurt that they failed to select good key players in the recent past.

Same applies to Hunt imo, Frankurt needs to sign another quality Guard, otherwise the backcourt looks really weak. It's quite possible that Mbemba won't play a role in next years team, while we don't know yet what is going to happen with Roller. In case he returns, Didin needs to play a 2-PG system, as Roller needs a PG on his side, in order to be really effective. Neither McKinney nor Hunt can be that kind of player. And if Roller doesn't return they need to sign a good PG anyways. So far we've seen the signing of role players, the most interesting thing will be to see who'll be next years key players. I trust Didin more than Barton in building a decent team though.

The Frankfurt budget is a mystery to me. I could probably roughly write down the budget table of teams in the BBL, but Frankfurt? No clue. Only one thing: They're surely not as high any more, as they were three years ago.

Actually the budget is not really much lower than back then. The championship team wasn't expensive and the Skyliners didn't extend those contracts. When Gordon Herbert wanted more money after the championship, they refused and let him go for example. It was a mixture of good scouting and pure luck back then, while in the last two seasons the Skyliners just signed one awful player and bad character after the other.

robbe
06-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Well, his signing makes sense if Frankfurt is going to sign a real strong starter for the PF position. I agree with everything you said about him, but he really ain't more than a backup player and we've seen too often in Frankfurt that they failed to select good key players in the recent past.

Same applies to Hunt imo, Frankurt needs to sign another quality Guard, otherwise the backcourt looks really weak. It's quite possible that Mbemba won't play a role in next years team, while we don't know yet what is going to happen with Roller. In case he returns, Didin needs to play a 2-PG system, as Roller needs a PG on his side, in order to be really effective. Neither McKinney nor Hunt can be that kind of player. And if Roller doesn't return they need to sign a good PG anyways. So far we've seen the signing of role players, the most interesting thing will be to see who'll be next years key players. I trust Didin more than Barton in building a decent team though.
Yes, as a back up of course. He's not a starting five calibre of forward. I'm 100% with you, 120% on the last sentence. The thing is: Skyliners did not only have weak starters last season, the also had no real role players. Just about 3 combo guards and 4 tweeners on 3/4 that could do a little bit of everthing, but nothing really good. I think the lack of structure, lack of hyrarchy hurt Frankfurt badly (also the year before). Barton must have had a vision, but I really don't know what it looked like. That roster he made was crazy to say the least.
What I originally wanted to say: Shtein has a german passport, he's a role player who will just work hard and accept his role, and he's probably not expensive. So it obviously is a sign that things are changing a bit in Frankfurt. But I didn't expect otherwise. Didin knows what he has to do.

Trifilli
06-12-2007, 07:14 PM
I absolutely agree with you. Frankfurts roster was indeed crazy and now there seems to be some structure coming back (although I'm not sure yet what to think about Hunt, either way he was cheap at least).
Also wrote something about this in the Frankfurt thread: http://forums.interbasket.net/showthread.php?t=19
Signing Shtein was no bad move imo, if they add a good PF as key player. I'd also think about another german - Kirsten Zöllner - as backup for the C position. He's a similar case, no S5 caliber player, but could offer some solution in rebounding. And in addition to these role players the Skyliners should finally add some decent key players again, and no guys who only claim to be great.

robbe
06-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Rumour has Mladen Sekularac in talks with Pedrag Krunic and Oldenburg.

elaj
06-13-2007, 08:09 PM
Rumour has Mladen Sekularac in talks with Pedrag Krunic and Oldenburg.
As far as I know Mladen Sekularac has at least one more year on his contract with Antwerp Giants.

robbe
06-13-2007, 09:25 PM
As far as I know Mladen Sekularac has at least one more year on his contract with Antwerp Giants.
Yes, that's true. Nevertheless, it is said that they are in talks.

german
06-14-2007, 10:58 AM
I think the rumour that Nenad Canak play for Oldenburg next year is a better. But we will see...

Eurobasket write:

Alba Berlin... is looking for Bosman replacement for center Jova Stanojevic. First name on the list is a center of Panionios Athens Vladislav Dragojlovic (206-C-79, agency: Beo Basket) who showed very good performance against all top Greek teams and especially during the Greek play-off. (the "..." is not so important :D)

Nice rumour. One week ago a berlin newspaper wrote (only one!) that Alba also interested in Luka Pavicevic from Panionios, too. :rolleyes:

Trifilli
06-14-2007, 02:35 PM
Eurobasket write:
(the "..." is not so important :D)

Nice rumour. One week ago a berlin newspaper wrote (only one!) that Alba also interested in Luka Pavicevic from Panionios, too. :rolleyes:

Very good performances is a bit exaggerated. He was good in some games, while he was bad in others. Here are his stats vs. the 3 top teams this season so far:

Day 5 vs. Aris (L 65-69): 10mins, 2rbds, 1st
Day 10 @ Panathinaikos (L 57-87): 18mins, 11pts, 5rbds, 2st, 1 TO
Day 11 vs. Olympiakos (W 84:76): 19mins, 12pts, 10rbds
Day 18 @ Aris (L 70-80): 9mins, 2pts, 4rbds, 1ast
Day 23 vs. Panathinaikos (L 86:89): 18mins, 9pts, 6rbds, 2 TO
Day 24 @ Olympiakos (W 81:79): DNP
PO SF: @ Panathinaikos (L 77:85): 24mins, 13pts, 8rbds, 2 TO, 1st
PO SF: vs. Panathinaikos (L 65:69): 4mins, 2pts
PO SF: @ Panathinaikos (L 67:85): 24mins, 18pts, 5rbds
PO P3: @ Aris (L 82:84): 11mins, 2rbds
PO P3: vs. Aris (W 74:62): 14mins, 8pts, 3rbds
PO P3: @ Aris (L 57:65): 11mins, 4pts, 3rbds, 2 TO, 1st

You see that he had problems especially vs. Aris and their defensive-minded game. Another problem are his fouls. Actually in almost every game listed here he was in foultrouble or fouled out (for example in the match vs. PAO where he only played 4 mins, he had already 3 fouls). Then again he can be a really solid role player (even as starting Center with limited minutes, not in the classical S5 idea Alba had this season), if you have a concept where he fits in. He has some qualities close to the rim, some good moves and shoots with a pretty high percentage. I wouldn't compare him to Jovo though (except that they're both not athletic), Stanojevic was a much more complete player on the offensive end, while Dragojlovic rebounds a bit better and plays more D.

As for Pavicevic: I don't think that Alba has any chance to get him if Panionios reaches the EL, there would be absolutely no reason for him to leave then. But even if Panionios only reaches the ULEB Cup it's gonna be hard, as Pavicevic has one more year of contract if I recall right, which means that Alba would have to pay a buyout to get him (if he wants to leave). We'll see...

german
06-14-2007, 03:20 PM
I would like a player like Dragojlovic. I think this typ of center is very stong in many games against other BBL "Center". He is not a center for 30 minutes or more but with a player like Boumtje-Boumtje² in the roster I would be happy with him.
And if I see what pay european clubs for better Center and PF in this summer :rolleyes: I could dream about a better european center as Dragojlovic (or a equal level) but then i am a "Anwil fan" :D ;)

Yes Pavicevic has a contract for next year. The newspaper know this, too. And rumours in german newspaper about new alba players or coaches are often not true. And rumour from eurobasket.com is a more probably as something from this newspaper ;) But we will see...

german
06-16-2007, 08:58 PM
The Berlin newspaper wrote that the deal between Alba and Pavicevic is nearly perfect. Pavicevic give the "Ok" to Alba. They have only to speak about some details and Alba pay a buyout to Panionios.
The source of the newspaper is the Cologne Management :rolleyes:

And yes I know that Aris-Panionios is 2-2 ;) We will see...

Joško Poljak Fan
06-17-2007, 11:04 AM
košarka.hr is reporting that Alba is interested in Bosna's captain Edin Bavćić. Bavčič still has at least one more year in his contract with Bosna Sarajevo.

Limitless
06-21-2007, 10:22 AM
EWE Baskets Oldenburg announced that they'll part ways with G Doron Perkins, PG Carl Krauser and C Ajmal Basit.

Recently promoted POM Baskets Jena extended the contract of F Gregor Linke until the end of the 07-08 season. Linke has some BBL experience since he played for RheinEnergy Cologne from 2001 till 2004.

DanMajerle
06-21-2007, 10:26 AM
Krauser was a big diappointment of the season. The guy's not more than a Backup SG.

Limitless
06-21-2007, 12:27 PM
And POM Baskets Jena once more. The team from Thuringia announced the signing of C Adrian Moss (204 cm - 1981), NCAA champion with the Florida Gators in 2006. He spent the last season with Randers of Denmark and had a short stint with Lausanne (Switzerland).

The Eisbären Bremerhaven have extended the contract of C/PF R.T. Guinn (208 - 1981) for another year until the end of the upcoming season. He is the fourth player of this years team who'll stay with the team from northern Germany together with G Robert Kulawick, PG Brian Jones and F Zygimantas Jonusas.

german
06-22-2007, 11:41 AM
The next rumour about the new Alba coach is an Italian rumour (Italien newspaper). Alba is to talk with Ruben Magnano from Varese. He has a contract for the next year too. But it is not sure that Varese want him (trouble in the club). Until the end of the month Varese decide about Magnano.

david723
06-23-2007, 10:09 AM
I notice that alba's sharrod ford is a free agent , anyone Know his Direction ?

And what about Jovo Stanojevic ? I didn't hear about him for a long time...

DanMajerle
06-24-2007, 08:47 PM
Luka Pavicevic of Panionios will be new Head Coach of Alba Berlin next season. Several sources are reporting it.

American coaches getting less and less and european coaches (Krunic, Didin, Pavicevic) coming into the league again, which is a good developement as the coaches decide on the players which means: less americans.

Limitless
06-25-2007, 09:43 AM
And it's official: ALBA Berlin signed Head Coach Luka Pavicevic, last at Panionios Athens, to a three-year-deal. He replaces Henrik Rödl and Calvin Oldham.

Source: http://www.schoenen-dunk.de/basketball/bbl/article.php?sid=18845

PHILIPeurobasket
06-25-2007, 07:13 PM
And it's official: ALBA Berlin signed Head Coach Luka Pavicevic, last at Panionios Athens, to a three-year-deal. He replaces Henrik Rödl and Calvin Oldham.

Source: http://www.schoenen-dunk.de/basketball/bbl/article.php?sid=18845

Dear good Luka - I remember when he play in Wloclawek :) Regards and greetings to him !!!

Limitless
06-26-2007, 09:53 AM
EWE Baskets Oldenburg sign C Dan McClintock from SLUC Nancy to a one-plus-one-deal.

Limitless
06-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Another big man to the north: Eisbären Bremerhaven sign C Nate Doornekamp. The sevenfooter played the last two seasons for TBB Trier and suits up for the Canadian NT as well.

And EWE Baskets Oldenburg continue their roster-building. 21-year-old PG Branislav Ratkovica and 24-year-old G Miladin Pekovic, both last at Mega Ishrana Belgrade, have signed for the upcoming two seasons. Oldenburg also announced that G Heiko Schaffartzik won't get a new contract and is now a free agent.

Limitless
06-28-2007, 11:40 AM
RheinEnergie Köln and F Aleksandar Nadjfeji have parted ways. The 30-year-old PF from Serbia is now a free agent, but his name came up often in Rumors with league rival EWE Baskets Oldenburg, where his former Coach Predrag Krunic took over as head coach a few weeks ago.

Meanwhile, WALTER Tigers Tübingen have added another big man to their roster. C Douglas Grokala Gorauskas from Brazil will join the team from the south for the next season. The 205 cm tall center holds an Lithuanian passport as well as his brazilian one, having a Lithuanian grandfather who played professional ball in the Brazilian league.

CWILL
07-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Kirk Penny will leave Alba Berlin and play in New Zealand next season.

Je'Kel Foster leaves EnBW Ludwigsburg and will play for franch team Paris-Levallois in the future.

POM Baskets Jena are about to sign Bundesliga veteran Ajmal Basit.

Eisbären Bremerhaven lose two of their top players: The contract with Brian Jones was suprisingly cancelled today. Bremerhaven suddenly has other plans for next season and released Jones today! Meanwhile PF Judson Wallace signed in Italy with Upea Capo d´Orlando.

Mike Bauer leaves the Skyliners and plays for Nancy next season.
Also Travon Bryant won't be on next year's Skyliners team.
Frankfurt plans to replace them with Bremerhaven's Center Adam Chubb and Cibonas Brent Wright!

CWILL
07-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Demond Greene will leave Alba Berlin. Rumours say that he could join Bamberg or leave Germany and play for Gran Canaria.

Ryan DeMichael joins Walter Tigers Tübingen. Rasko Katic and AJ Moye already signed for next season, Tübingen could be a lot stronger than last year.
They also announced that PG Waitari Marsh will stay in Tübingen.

After losing Je'Kel Foster, Ludwigsburg managed to keep PF Nate Harris and role-player Jason Dourisseau.
Miljan Goljovic meanwhile leaves Ludwigsburg due to private reasons.

Billy
07-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Mike Bauer leaves the Skyliners and plays for Nancy next season.
Also Travon Bryant won't be on next year's Skyliners team.
Frankfurt plans to replace them with Bremerhaven's Center Adam Chubb and Cibonas Brent Wright!

Somebody with some insight into the Brent Wright situation told me that Wright is looking for a large payraise from what he earned in Croatia and Latvia.

What does Frankfurts salary policy look like?

CWILL
07-04-2007, 04:35 PM
@Billy: Frankfurt has about a 3 / 3.5 million €uro budget.
Half of that money is meant to be spend for the team.

I was suprised to read in the newspaper that Coach Murat Didin really called a player like Brent Wright a possible new PF for Frankfurt.
Weeks before Frankfurt tried to get Michael Wright, but could not match the offer he got from Turk Telekom. It was written that they offered him about 240K €uro. But that's far less than what he gets in Turkey now.
I don't know how much Brent Wright earned in Croatia and Latvia and how much he wants now.
But Frankfurt's top players should earn between 200 - 300K €uro. I don't think that any player there ever earned more!

Meanwhile in Cologne almost the whole team seems to leave.
After Aleksandar Nadjfeji now Guido Grünheid and Mladjen Sljivancanin will leave the club.
Colognes biggest sponsor Rhein Energie won't support the team anymore. Looks like some major changes have to be made...
Grünheid will play for dutch ULEB-CUP team Hanzevast Capitals Groningen and Sljivancanin will also play ULEB-CUP for Red Star Belgrad.

TBB Trier found a new PF: 22-year-old american Andre Smith, who played NCAA for North Dakota signed a one-year contract with an option for another year.

Limitless
07-06-2007, 11:14 AM
And now for the latest from the BBL:

G Brian Brown, last at Hyeres-Toulon in France, signed with Eisbären Bremerhaven to replace Brian Jones. Before his stint in France, he played for Bundesliga teams TBB Trier and Telekom Baskets Bonn.

Bayer Giants Leverkusen and G Brandon Woudstra will part ways. As a reason for the departure of the 27-year-old, the Bayer Giants said that he is looking for more security than he has right now in Leverkusen. The team will lose its main sponsor Bayer after this season and has a very unclear future.

Bundesliga newcomer BG 74 Göttingen has signed G Darren Brooks who played last for the Perth Wildcats, Australia. The alumni of Southern Illinois University will play alongside G Babis Douloudis and F Robert Dill, who both extended their contracts with the team for another season.

Finally, EWE Baskets Oldenburg have signed the sixth player for the upcoming season: F Jasmin Perkovic from AEK Athens, who caught the eye of Coach Predrag Krunic at the Court Side Camp last week in Frankfurt.

//edit:

This one came in late: EnBW Ludwigsburg signed G/F Stefan Fahrad who spent the last two seasons with BG Karlsruhe.

Trifilli
07-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Finally, EWE Baskets Oldenburg have signed the sixth player for the upcoming season: F Jasmin Perkovic from AEK Athens, who caught the eye of Coach Predrag Krunic at the Court Side Camp last week in Frankfurt.

Very good signing - and one that really surprises me. According to my information, Perkovic had a pretty good two-year offer from Udine and was ready to sign there. Maroussi and Olympia Larissa from Greece were also interested in him, but not ready to offer as much as Udine.
So Perkovic definately wasn't cheap for Oldenburg, with every signing it becomes more and more obvious that they operate with a pretty big budget this season.

EDIT: Why the heck does Oldenburg announce him as a perimeter player?: :confused: http://www.ewe-baskets.de/ewe_baskets_322.php?id=1551

He is a PF and played no other position for AEK...

CWILL
07-06-2007, 12:35 PM
After signing Center Rasko Katic for a new 3-year-deal, Walter Tigers Tübingen managed to get another great player: Former player Bingo Merriex signed again with Tübingen!
Merriex was in the 2005/2006 BBL season top rebounder of the whole league with 10,2 boards per game. He also added 16 PPG during that season and was clearly one of the best PFs in 05/06.
Last season he had a disappoiniting year in Belgium playing for Dexia Mons/Hainaut. He only had 6,4 points und 5,1 rebounds there.

I really wonder what's going on in Tübingen?!?
With Katic/Merriex/DeMichael their frontcourt looks really strong.
In addition to AJ Moye, who still has a contrac for next season, Tübingen could seriously become a play-off competitor!

Limitless
07-06-2007, 12:44 PM
Big newsday in the BBL:

The Giessen 46ers announce the signing of G Michael Umeh of UNLV. Umeh, who stands 6-2 / 188cm, is 23 years old and worked out with the national team of Nigeria last year.

robbe
07-06-2007, 04:17 PM
So Perkovic definately wasn't cheap for Oldenburg, with every signing it becomes more and more obvious that they operate with a pretty big budget this season.
As far as I am informed, their budget is not much different to last years. It's just becoming obvious now what a bad, bad job Don Beck did.

As far as the players go, I'm pretty happy it is working out the way I hoped it would be at the beginning of this off-season: More European coaches = More European players.

Joško Poljak Fan
07-06-2007, 04:21 PM
I don't think Perković is that expensive. If I am not mistaken that's the same Perkovič from Bosna and some of slovenian teams...

Trifilli
07-06-2007, 04:28 PM
As far as I am informed, their budget is not much different to last years. It's just becoming obvious now what a bad, bad job Don Beck did.

True :p

I don't think Perković is that expensive. If I am not mistaken that's the same Perkovič from Bosna and some of slovenian teams...

It's the same Perkovic. I heard though what about Maroussi and Olympia Larissa offered to him, while I also heard that Udines offer was better. So I guess that he received an even better offer from Oldenburg, which would mean at least that he's not cheap.

woma
07-07-2007, 12:24 AM
1) Does anybody have any clue what happened between Bremerhaven and Brian Jones? He was more than solid for them last 2 years...
2) Darren Brooks can be nice addition for Gottingen...if coach there (whoever is he) will find a right position for him. The problem is it will be 3rd or 4th attempt for Brooks in Europe, and he didn't find a right situation until now. Or maybe he just plain sucks for european basketball...
3) Oldenburg moves are impressive - coach Krunic, Jason Gardner (even if I've heard recently that his basketball IQ for a Point Guard is terrible...), Dan McClintock and now Perkovic. It looks like early Final candidate...
4) I believe that coach Pavicevic should make first decisions in Alba on monday-tuesday, after he will watch Alba games on DVD, which he is probably doing right now :). Big shake-up is coming...

robbe
07-07-2007, 07:56 AM
1) Does anybody have any clue what happened between Bremerhaven and Brian Jones? He was more than solid for them last 2 years...That is kind of strange. Jones was indeed impressive and nobody was surprised when he signed a new contract until 2009 in March. They had a player and a club option included in this contract and pulled the club option a few days ago, releasing Jones. 2 days later, they announced the signing of Brian Brown, who in my opinion is much weaker on the point guard spot, despite being the better scorer. Either there was an incident, or this makes no sense.

Bremerhaven is hilarious sometimes. A few years ago they signed Marcus Wilson from Gravelines, but when cockroaches (in German "Kakerlaken"; I had to use a translator) appeared in his appartment on the first visit, he was reportedly furious and quicky decided to go elsewhere. Then there was this CJ Wallace incident. This guy set his whole appartment on fire. It has nothing to do with Jones, I don't know what happened. But you never know with Bremerhaven.

It is also being said that Sakalauskas, being the great coach that he is, is rather difficult as a person.

3) Oldenburg moves are impressive - coach Krunic, Jason Gardner (even if I've heard recently that his basketball IQ for a Point Guard is terrible...), Dan McClintock and now Perkovic. It looks like early Final candidate...Well, I saw Gardner a lot this year, and I'd say that there is some truth to this statement. Shot selection is his weak spot. He sometimes pulls up for the three pointer on four on one fastbreak situations. He's a good defender despite being only 178cm tall, but his point guard skills are not the greatest. Nevertheless he played an important role in a rather limited Bonn offense last season. I'm interested in seeing him with more offensive talent around him, too.

CWILL
07-07-2007, 11:47 AM
And another player leaves former champion an current cup-winner RheinEnergie Köln: Demond Mallet signed a contract with Joventut Badalona and leaves BBL after many years in Germany.

Rumours said that Bamberg pushed really hard to get Mallet back. But finally he seemed to be looking for a new challenge.

It really looks like Cologne will have to establish a whole new team. Except Immanuel McElroy and some youngsters, it seems like all other players could leave!

Billy
07-07-2007, 03:56 PM
3) Oldenburg moves are impressive - coach Krunic, Jason Gardner (even if I've heard recently that his basketball IQ for a Point Guard is terrible...), Dan McClintock and now Perkovic. It looks like early Final candidate...

I did see Gardner play during college and the thing that struck me the most was the incredibly poor decision making he displayed. He then went to play for a team in...was it Slovenia?
I distinctively remember that he got fired and the coach said something along the lines that he was the most stupid player the coach had ever seen.

It would be interesting to hear the opinion of the Belgians who did see him play there.

Joško Poljak Fan
07-07-2007, 04:01 PM
I did see Gardner play during college and the thing that struck me the most was the incredibly poor decision making he displayed. He then went to play for a team in...was it Slovenia?
I distinctively remember that he got fired and the coach said something along the lines that he was the most stupid player the coach had ever seen.
It was Krka in their catastrophic 2003/04 season... as for that coach (I think it was Martič but i'm not sure, ) it could be said the same for him, since I haven't seen as bad selectioned team as Krka that season.

bsgermany
07-08-2007, 01:29 AM
That is kind of strange. Jones was indeed impressive and nobody was surprised when he signed a new contract until 2009 in March. They had a player and a club option included in this contract and pulled the club option a few days ago, releasing Jones. 2 days later, they announced the signing of Brian Brown, who in my opinion is much weaker on the point guard spot, despite being the better scorer. Either there was an incident, or this makes no sense.

Bremerhaven is hilarious sometimes. A few years ago they signed Marcus Wilson from Gravelines, but when cockroaches (in German "Kakerlaken"; I had to use a translator) appeared in his appartment on the first visit, he was reportedly furious and quicky decided to go elsewhere. Then there was this CJ Wallace incident. This guy set his whole appartment on fire. It has nothing to do with Jones, I don't know what happened. But you never know with Bremerhaven.

It is also being said that Sakalauskas, being the great coach that he is, is rather difficult as a person.

As far as Jones is concerned, his performance last season was quite controversial, and by far not as satisfying, as we were all hoping - also shown in a continues decrease in his stats over the past years.
While none of us knows what's really behind the clubs decision to opt out of the contract, the signing of Brian Brown may not nescessarily mean that he will replace Jones at PG (as announced in an official club statement). The re-signing of SG-Starter Nick Jacobson is not sure yet, so there is quite a solid possibility, that Brian Brown may actually end up playing SG, where he would certainly be a great and valuable addition to the club.

As far as the Wilson case is concerned - you only seeme to know what happened at the surface respectively the spreading rumours. There have been things happening, that would make the mutual decision to part ways with Wilson way more understandable!

Trifilli
07-08-2007, 09:45 AM
The DB Skyliners Frankfurt signed last years regular season BBL topscorer (17ppg, 7.5rpg) Derrick Allen (PF/2.04m) from the Bayer Giants Leverkusen. Allen signed for two years.

Link (http://www.deutsche-bank-skyliners.de/6548.html)

Finally a decent signing by the Skyliners again, Allen should really strengthen the frontcourt. Now they need to add a good Center, plus a decent backup for the same position, along with the needed additions for the backcourt.

robbe
07-08-2007, 10:02 AM
@bsgermany: Jones AND Brian Brown would have made sense, but the club is still saying that Brown is Jones' replacement. If that's true, it is a questionable move.
I am aware that a dirty appartment is not a single cause to leave, but it must have played a factor.

@trifilli: I'm not so sure about Allen. Sure he can score in bunches, but he has yet to prove he can play on a top team. Plus there's no defense.

Trifilli
07-08-2007, 10:20 AM
@trifilli: I'm not so sure about Allen. Sure he can score in bunches, but he has yet to prove he can play on a top team. Plus there's no defense.

Well, Frankfurt is no top team, so that's ok. :p And given what kind of players played in Frankfurt the last two seasons, he's an upgrade imo. Ok, Bryant was decent on the offensive end as well, and was no bad rebounder either, but he also played no D and one often could have the impression that he didn't care about the team at all and wasn't willing to fight.

Of course chances that you'll go for the finals/championship are rather slim with a player like Allen as the main frontcourt option, but I would already be glad if the Skyliners would make it to the BBL Playoffs after two years of absence. :p

Souljacker
07-08-2007, 01:53 PM

It would be interesting to hear the opinion of the Belgians who did see him play there.
Gardner came in Belgium and he replaced Mark Dickel with succes.
He didn't want to talk about his stay in Slovenia but you know he was still verry young. He didn't know a lot about European Basketball cause planned on going nba. I think it shook him up a little. Belgium is an Ideal country to make the transition from US to Europe(decent league, almost everybody speaks English, ...).
Jason isn't stupid at all but it's true that in the beginning he didn't make the right decisions. at the end of his stay it was much better.
great clutch player and verry quick.
the last year in Belgium he remained on the floor while broken his foot and almost scored the winning basket(was wide open under the basket but did't get the ball)

CWILL
07-10-2007, 08:36 AM
Brandon Woudstra, who played for Bayer Giants Leverkusen for the last 2 years, signed a 2-year contract with EnBW Ludwigsburg. Ludwigsburg also extended the contracts with Brasilian 'Michel' Nascimento and Forward Nate Harris.

After losing topscorer Derrick Allan, Woudstra and Goldsberry, Leverkusen managed to keep Forward Eric Taylor. According to Eurobasket they also signed Zack Whiting. Whiting aka Mr. Triple Double comes from NCAA 2 school Chaminade, where he averaged 20.7ppg, 10.7apg and 7.1rpg last season. In 2006/07 Whiting had 19 Double-Doubles and 6 Triple Doubles!

Jonathan Levy leaves Ulm and signed with New Yorker Phantoms Braunschweig.

Travon Bryant will leave Frankfurt and return to Greece. He signed with Maroussi.
Frankfurt signed german big man Kirsten Zöllner for 2 years.

Limitless
07-10-2007, 06:25 PM
Joe Whelton continues building another All-NCAA-team for TBB Trier and signs G/F Daniel Cage straight out of Vanderbilt to a 1+1-contract.

One of the playoff heroes of the Artland Dragons, G Filiberto Riviera, leaves the team and is rumored to sign with KK Zadar.

And, another small signing to end this post: The New Yorker Phantoms Braunschweig have signed PF / C Tony Granz. The 20 year old Granz comes from POM Baskets Jena and is currently in Poland, playing for the German NT at the U20-B-EC.

Cypher
07-10-2007, 07:32 PM
I'm normally just an occasional reader in this forum, but after the last few comments about Bremerhaven I feel inclined to share some of my thoughts regarding the Jones, Wallace and Wilson topics:

@Wilson

Wilson already played in Bremerhaven in the 2002/03 season when the club was in the 2nd league. After the club got promoted to the BBL in 2005 Wilson first said that he could not imagine to come back, because he supposedly didn't leave the club in peace. He claimed he never got all the money the club owed him during that season.

His signing made a huge splash in the local media, everyone - not only in the local media - was excited to get a player of Wilsons caliber. But the excitement quickly turned into disappointment when Wilson was released only a few weeks after he signed.

The official reason for his release was that he and the club had pretty different views of the season goals of the club. Wilson didn't want to play on a team that only had the goal to stay in the league somehow. The unofficial reasons included a dirty flat (the aforementioned cockroaches) and inadequate chicanery with medical tests on Wilsons side, and the club claimed that Wilson never tried to integrate into the team. He was said to be a loner whose behaviour was detrimental to the team.

I suppose money was an issue as well, but that's just my speculation.

@Wallace

That's kind of a silly story. Wallace sustained severe burns on his hands and a smoke poisoning when he tried to put out a fire in his bedroom on his own.

Wallace had the company of a cheerleader in his flat (you can all guess what they were doing - NO, they were not playing chess) and tried to be romantic. He actually didn't seem to know that candles and pillows don't get along with each other too well.

@Jones

I would definetely like to know what's the background on this story and I'm still trying to find out. I can most certainly say, that there has not been any kind of incident involving Jones. Coach Sakalauskas loved Jones and vice versa. Jones actually said not too long ago, that Sakalauskas is the best coach he had ever played for and that he wanted to stay in Bremerhaven as long as the coach stayed.

The club claims that they want to change their approach on offense next year and therefore, they'd like a point guard who is a better scorer. But in my opinion that doesn't make any sense. Jones was a good scorer when he played at Tübingen before he came to Bremerhaven, Sakalauskas turned him into the pass-first PG that he is today.

You don't resign your PG for two years during the season, and a couple of months later you release him because you want to change your offensive apporach. That's insane.

Limitless
07-11-2007, 05:05 PM
After Filiberto Rivieras departure to Zadar, the Artland Dragons sign PG John Goldsberry, who spent the last season with Bayer Giants Leverkusen, as a replacement.
Leverkusen replaces Goldsberry with G Zack Whiting, who joines the team after spending his College career at D2 school Chaminade University, where he averaged 20 points, 10 assists and 7 rebounds.

In south Germany, WALTER Tigers Tübingen continue building a strong team. They have signed F Richard Jeter, coming out of the ABA.

Souljacker
07-12-2007, 08:14 PM
Jerry Green wil leave Ludwigsburg en join Telindus Oostende(Belgium). Seems like a really good player? How is his defence?

Limitless
07-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Two of the top teams made their first signings today:

RheinEnergie Köln, who will play the next season under the name Cologne 99ers since main sponsor RheinEnergie reduced its engagement, has signed C-PF Yassin Idbihi, who started his career at nearby SOBA Dragons Rhöndorf of the 2nd division and spent the last seasons at Buffalo (NCAA-D1).

And, as I've already written in the EL signings thread, brose Baskets Bamberg have signed German NT player Demond Greene, famous for his block against Dwayne Wade and a very ugly ankle injury, as well as for his hops ;)

robbe
07-15-2007, 09:01 AM
ENBW Ludwigsburg has finally made official the signing of former Texas Tech standout Ronald Ross. The athletic Point Guard has signed a one year contract.

woma
07-15-2007, 11:18 PM
ENBW Ludwigsburg has finally made official the signing of former Texas Tech standout Ronald Ross. The athletic Point Guard has signed a one year contract.
Interesting how he will do it. He is not a PG for Europe imho, here he is better suit in playing shootinh guard. Always liked him, but he didn't do anything positive after NCAA. Maybe it will change in Ludwigsburg...

Limitless
07-17-2007, 02:30 PM
What looked like a slow newsday came finally to life...

Joe Whelton adds - surprisingly ;) - another American to the roster of TBB Trier: C Robert Jackson, coming from the LEB, after a college career next to Dwayne Wade at Marquette. Jackson played in Spain for Fuenlabrada in the ACB and last at Ciudad de Huelva. Between those stints in Europe, he had some teams in Asia.

BG 74 Göttingen brings an former BBL player back to Germany: G/F Nigel Moore, who was with TV Lich in the 2nd Division for two years before joining the Giessen 46ers for one season, signed today until 2008.

Already a couple of days old, but not mentioned here: Artland Dragons reinforce their front court with C/F Adam Chubb of nothern rival Eisbären Bremerhaven.

And one more comeback of a former BBL player: In PG Pascal Roller, the Deutsche Bank Skyliners Frankfurt bring back the face of their organisation after one year with Biella in Italy. Roller has played for the Skyliners ever since they came to the BBL in 1999, but left last season due to his contract, which allowed him one (or more) seasons abroad before coming back to the Skyliners.

robbe
07-17-2007, 06:30 PM
According to this (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-bk-spt-gortat071707,0,7484855.story), the Orlando Magic have decided to sign Marcin Gortat after his strong showings in the Orlando Summer League.

I know it is no big news that he leaves Cologne. But at least it is close to being official now.

He was by no means outstanding in 2006/07, there were probably more than a handful better centers in the BBL, but he's worked hard and has been progressing each year a little bit. And there's no doubt his play fits the NBA's style of play. Good luck!

DanMajerle
07-17-2007, 06:40 PM
And Cologne will get some nice buyout for Gortat:D

CWILL
07-17-2007, 07:14 PM
Yes, Cologne should get paid around 500.000$ buyout if Gortat joins Orlando!

@robbe: I totally agree with you.
Gortat was not a very strong center in BBL. But he developed nice and should fit a lot better into the physical style of nba basketball!
It will be interesting to see how much playing time he'll get.
Kasun was a lot stronger when he joined Orlando and still couldn't make it!

fasoulaki
07-17-2007, 07:19 PM
Marcus Faison
Aleksandar Nadjfeji
Guido Grühnheid
Mladjen Sljivancanin
Demond Mallet
Marcin Gortat

Looks like a total sold out. I am wondering what the reason for this development is. They lost their main sponsor Rheinenergie but it should not be hard to find new sponsors.

robbe
07-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Looks like a total sold out. I am wondering what the reason for this development is. They lost their main sponsor Rheinenergie but it should not be hard to find new sponsors.
What exactly do you conclude that from? I'd think that acquiring new sponsors is rather difficult in Cologne. They have two extremely, and extremely is almost an understatement, popular clubs there, in football and in icehockey. Plus they have a baseball team that is constantly looking for new sponsors. It seems rather difficult for me. I think basketball in Cologne might be in jeopardy when the success is not there anymore (it is always been since this club got into the league via wildcard). Of course I hope that I'm wrong.

Well, for now, they have that 500.000 € buyout, that helps them a lot.

fasoulaki
07-17-2007, 10:06 PM
What exactly do you conclude that from? I'd think that acquiring new sponsors is rather difficult in Cologne. They have two extremely, and extremely is almost an understatement, popular clubs there, in football and in icehockey. Plus they have a baseball team that is constantly looking for new sponsors. It seems rather difficult for me. I think basketball in Cologne might be in jeopardy when the success is not there anymore (it is always been since this club got into the league via wildcard). Of course I hope that I'm wrong.

Well, for now, they have that 500.000 € buyout, that helps them a lot.

The Basketball Club has reached high media coverage in Cologne. The local newspaper "Express" reports on a regular basis about developments. The local radio station "Radio Köln" shows much interest and also the local TV station center.tv is close to the club.

The club has won titles recently. They will have a new basketball court in 2008. The number of fans in Cologne is increasing continously. Obradovic has become a cult figur.

I cannot understand why it should be difficult to get a new sponsor. And baseball has neither the same popularity nor the same tradition as basketball in Cologne.

By the way: Rheinenergie will sign Misan Nigakbatse http://www.express.de/servlet/Satellite?pagename=XP/index&pageid=1004370693668&rubrik=217&artikelid=1182012975543

DanMajerle
07-17-2007, 10:52 PM
A nice trend that more and more NT players coming back/staying in Germany. Roller, Nikagbatse coming back, Greene staying in BBL, young talents Zoellner and Idbihi. Also Femerling and Okulaja are rumoured in Berlin and Bamberg. Together with more and more players getting transfered withing the league the identity of BBL gets a bit stronger.

robbe
07-17-2007, 11:11 PM
The Basketball Club has reached high media coverage in Cologne. The local newspaper "Express" reports on a regular basis about developments. The local radio station "Radio Köln" shows much interest and also the local TV station center.tv is close to the club.

The club has won titles recently. They will have a new basketball court in 2008. The number of fans in Cologne is increasing continously. Obradovic has become a cult figur.

I cannot understand why it should be difficult to get a new sponsor. And baseball has neither the same popularity nor the same tradition as basketball in Cologne.

By the way: Rheinenergie will sign Misan Nigakbatse http://www.express.de/servlet/Satellite?pagename=XP/index&pageid=1004370693668&rubrik=217&artikelid=1182012975543
Maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't baseball have something like 16.000 in attendance each home game? I mean, that is not great considering they play in a 45.000 arena, but it is still 16.000.

Then there are some other concerns:
1. Yeah, their attendance is okay (not great). But they've been winning titles for years now. Success is what mobilizes the people. And considering their budget is said to be much lower this season, I doubt that they will win titles this season.
2. I'd not be so sure about the basketball court. With all the concerns coming up now, I get the impression that this whole thing was a little overpaced, thrashed through the institutions with the help of kölsche Klüngel, and all in all very weakly planned.
3. Stellar fanbase? Well, there certainly has been progress, but after having watched some Euroleague games in Düsseldorf last season I can't really say that there are many people that will go with the club through thick and thin and follow them anywhere, meaning follow them in the lower regions of the league.

Let's wait and see.

DanMajerle
07-18-2007, 08:44 AM
Alba signs Goran Jeretin.

Cypher
07-18-2007, 03:24 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't baseball have something like 16.000 in attendance each home game? I mean, that is not great considering they play in a 45.000 arena, but it is still 16.000.

You're mixing up baseball and (American) football. You'd probably have to divide that number by 100 to get close to the attendance that see the games of the Cologne Cardinals (Baseball Bundesliga). When I was studying in Paderborn a few years ago I once went to see the fifth and decisive game of the german baseball finals. They maybe had 700-800 people in attendance. And Paderborn has been one of the few baseball centers in Germany.

You probably mean the Cologne Centurions, who played in the NFLE. But as far as I know the NFL wants to shut the league down because it is not lucrative. So they can't take away sponsors from anyone.

robbe
07-18-2007, 04:32 PM
You're mixing up baseball and (American) football. You'd probably have to divide that number by 100 to get close to the attendance that see the games of the Cologne Cardinals (Baseball Bundesliga). When I was studying in Paderborn a few years ago I once went to see the fifth and decisive game of the german baseball finals. They maybe had 700-800 people in attendance. And Paderborn has been one of the few baseball centers in Germany.

You probably mean the Cologne Centurions, who played in the NFLE. But as far as I know the NFL wants to shut the league down because it is not lucrative. So they can't take away sponsors from anyone.
Damn, you're right. I badly mixed it up, should not have happenend.

They want to shut the league down? Now that would be good news for Köln 99ers. I can only tell what my eyes see: The Centurions games are much more advertised in and around Cologne than former RheinEnergie games. They had around 16.000 in attendance and so on...
Therefor I doubt, that they are/were no rival in terms of acquiring new sponsors.

geothorpe
07-18-2007, 04:49 PM
The European NFL was shut down last week. Hopefully it helps the 99ers.

Limitless
07-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Yeah, the NFLE is shut down. I've heard some rumors about the league losing 40 mln US-$ per year and the NFL didn't like that too much... could be a good thing for the Frankfurt Skyliners, too, since Frankfurt Galaxy won't be looking for sponsors in the Rhine-main-area anymore.

fasoulaki
07-18-2007, 08:23 PM
A nice trend that more and more NT players coming back/staying in Germany. Roller, Nikagbatse coming back, Greene staying in BBL, young talents Zoellner and Idbihi. Also Femerling and Okulaja are rumoured in Berlin and Bamberg. Together with more and more players getting transfered withing the league the identity of BBL gets a bit stronger.

Maybe the BBL clubs are preparing themselves for more strict rules regarding the number of foreign players in the roster.

robbe
07-19-2007, 10:20 AM
ALBA just announced the signing of Patrick Femerling. Two-year-contract.

Joško Poljak Fan
07-19-2007, 11:04 AM
looks like Alba is orienting more towards european game this year. looks like they've learned the lesson...

rikhardur
07-19-2007, 11:11 AM
looks like Alba is orienting more towards european game this year. looks like they've learned the lesson...
That's right, and some Germans are returning home.

Limitless
07-19-2007, 12:57 PM
This offseason is very promising and makes me look forward to the new season. It seems to me that the BBL is getting more of a face next year, with many NT players coming back, with intra-BBL-team changes rising, with contract extensions and some players coming back. After a season, which was probably the worst I've seen in eight years in terms of the quality of the games, I'd really like to see some good games in the upcoming season.

robbe
07-19-2007, 02:07 PM
This offseason is very promising and makes me look forward to the new season. It seems to me that the BBL is getting more of a face next year, with many NT players coming back, with intra-BBL-team changes rising, with contract extensions and some players coming back. After a season, which was probably the worst I've seen in eight years in terms of the quality of the games, I'd really like to see some good games in the upcoming season.
I definitely agree. I think coaches play a vital part in this development. There are finally more coaches with a good knowledge of the european game in here (Pavicevic, Didin, Bauermann, Poropat, Sakalauskas, Krunic, .... ), especially on the top clubs of this league. Therefor, the signings are a good mixture of European and US players. The small budget clubs still rely mostly on players coming fresh out of college though.

The new foreigner rule that was established a few years ago was new to everyone, and it let to a lot of mistakes regarding player acquiring. Just look at Oldenburg, financially arguably a Top4 club, that could not get anything going because players like Carl Krauser totally sucked. Or look at Frankfurt under Barton. But as Matiz stated above, there seems to be a learning process. There a finally more intra-BBL-transfers, teams are starting to rely on established players and german NT-players are coming back. This is a good sign. The league already looks much stronger than last year's.

Suput's signing in Bamberg should be mentioned here, too.

robbe
07-19-2007, 04:16 PM
Miah Davis from Energa Czarni Slupsk is the new Telekom Baskets Bonn Point Guard. I'd be interested in woma's opinion on that signing...

woma
07-19-2007, 11:13 PM
Miah Davis from Energa Czarni Slupsk is the new Telekom Baskets Bonn Point Guard. I'd be interested in woma's opinion on that signing...
He is very solid. He was having a phenomenal 2005-2006 season, but last year wasn't so good, even if he was playing at the same team, with the same players and under the same coach.

In 2 years in Slupsk he definitely showed that he is able to run a team, where coach tells him strictly what to do. He didn't improvised, he was just doing what he was asked. But that caused a problems last season, since Czarni's offensive sets didn't work as well as year before and Davis was clearly lacking some creativity.

His biggest weakness is probably his long range shooting. He will play solid defense, will find an open teammates, will run the fast break, will go to the rim and will even get some rebounds. I don't see him as a PG for top4 team in BBL, but for 5-8 he should be more than okay.

robbe
07-20-2007, 07:30 AM
Thank you. Mike Koch wanted a pass first Point Guard who plays good defense, while much of the (outside) scoring but also a lot of creativity should come from the 2 spot. I'm expecting something there. Therefor, as you say, he could be a decent signing.

german
07-20-2007, 10:15 AM
Alba Berlin signed Goran Nikolic.

DanMajerle
07-20-2007, 10:18 AM
Aaaaaahhhhh:) :) :)

robbe
07-20-2007, 11:20 AM
Alba Berlin signed Goran Nikolic.
Amazing.:eek:

ALBA is for real this year.

Limitless
07-20-2007, 02:05 PM
The Giessen 46ers reinforce their front court with C / F Ed Nelson, who is joining the 46ers after one season as a pro in Finland. Nelson, who attended Georgia Tech for two years and was the 2001 ACC Rookie Of The Year before transfering to UConn for personal reasons, also attended the Training Camp of the St. Louis Rams of the NFL. His career as a tight end never kicked in and he came to Europe to play Basketball again.

PHILIPeurobasket
07-20-2007, 07:56 PM

Very good move, very good :)

Cypher
07-20-2007, 09:12 PM
The nearly complete demolition of the starting lineup of the Eisbären Bremerhaven is complete. SG Nick Jacobson is not going to come back, he will play in Belgium next year.

SF Zygimantas Jonusas and PF/C RT Guinn are the only two players of last years team who are coming back with an outside chance that G/F Jannis Michael will return for bench warming purposes. Four out of five starters will leave the club. Currently the Eisbären have only five players under contract for next season with training camp set to start in about three weeks.

Meanwhile, Aleksander Krutikov is rumoured to replace assistant coach Andreas Martin next season. Martin is rumoured to join Emir Mutapcics staff in Braunschweig. As far as I know Martin and Mutapcic have already worked together with the under-20 national team.

PHILIPeurobasket
07-21-2007, 05:46 AM
Meanwhile, Aleksander Krutikov is rumoured to replace assistant coach Andreas Martin next season.

This will be long way, because Krutikov have also many offers from Polish teams...

woma
07-21-2007, 11:56 AM
This will be long way, because Krutikov have also many offers from Polish teams...
Yes indeed, he has one million offers.

Edit: I've just got an info that he got some new ones and right now has 2 million offers from powerful and rich polish clubs. Bremerhaven has no chance...

Seriously - Krutikov wasn't interested in re-signing with 2nd division Sportino Inowroclaw, and rumours were at that time that he will work in Germany. Now we know it can indeed happen, even if it's assistant job...

Cypher
07-21-2007, 02:18 PM
Well, I'm slowly getting the impression that Bremerhaven is preparing for Sakalaskas' departure after the 2007/08 season. Krutikov having offers from several polish clubs just supports this case.

I can not imagine, that Sakalauskas will return to Bremerhaven after this season. Regarding the economical circumstances in this area, it seems the management is not able to acquire new sponsors for the club and thus improving the teams budget. The current sellout of players shows this, the Eisbären are not able to hold their players. Regarding this, Sakalauskas has probably reached the maximum success he could with the budget he has. If there is no room for further improvement I don't see him returning, he is not a coach who wants to hover at a certain level forever.

It seems to me that the management doesn't think Andreas Martin will be able to lead the club as a head coach, so they go out and look for someone of whom they think he can. Krutikov may be that guy. He works as Sakalaskas' assistant for one year and in 2008 he takes over as head coach.

This is just speculation though, but in my mind that makes sense.

Meanwhile, Trier F Brandon Gay has urged his club to terminate his contract he signed not so lang ago, Triers management has granted that wish. The contract grants Trier a not specified transfer fee. Gay seems to have found a new club in Belgium.

PHILIPeurobasket
07-21-2007, 08:08 PM
Seriously - Krutikov wasn't interested in re-signing with 2nd division Sportino Inowroclaw, and rumours were at that time that he will work in Germany. Now we know it can indeed happen, even if it's assistant job...

Do you think that only Sportino want Krutikov :confused: NO! Krutikov want also teams from DBE...

woma
07-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Do you think that only Sportino want Krutikov :confused: NO! Krutikov want also teams from DBE...
Name one???

PHILIPeurobasket
07-22-2007, 05:32 AM
Name one???

Polonia, Kotwica maybe Kager

CWILL
07-23-2007, 09:16 PM
Casey Jacobson leaves brose baskets bamberg and joins the nba team memphis grizzlies!

Cologne signed Misan Nikagbatse for a one-year-contract! Nikagbatse, a member of the german national team, spend the last two years in Italy. It seems as if Cologne plans to use him as a starting PG. I have my doubts about this working out well! Misan is not a playmaker, I see him more as a SG!
But generally it's a good thing to see Misan back in Germany. It's a good sign that so many germans (roller, femerling, nikagbatse) come back to bbl!

Meanwhile Johannes Strasser leaves Cologne and rumours say that he'll probably join Bonn!

Oldenburg signed another player from former-yugoslavia: 24-year-old Milan Majstorovic, who had several other offers - even from other bbl teams!
With Daniel Strauch, Daniel Hain, Jason Gardner, Miladin Pekovic, Branislav Ratkovica, Dan McClintock, Jasmin Perkovic and Milan Majstorovic Oldenburg looks really good!

Brandon Gay, who had just signed a new contract with TBB Trier, joins Uleb-Cup team Antwerp Giants. Trier cancelled the contract due to "personal reasons".

fasoulaki
07-23-2007, 10:20 PM
Cologne signed Misan Nikagbatse for a one-year-contract! Nikagbatse, a member of the german national team, spend the last two years in Italy. It seems as if Cologne plans to use him as a starting PG. I have my doubts about this working out well! Misan is not a playmaker, I see him more as a SG!
But generally it's a good thing to see Misan back in Germany. It's a good sign that so many germans (roller, femerling, nikagbatse) come back to bbl!

I totally agree! Here are his stats from his last year in the italian league:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2F195.56.77.208%2Fplayer%2F %3Fid%3DNIK-EYI-82%26year%3D2006%26team%3D1127&langpair=it%7Cen&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

7.7 points, 2.9 rebounds, 1.1 Assists, 1.5 Turn Over, 24.5 min playtime

His average number of assists is for me a strong indication that he still is the same selfish kind of player as the years befor.

CWILL
07-24-2007, 09:45 AM
Nikagbatse only had 1.1 sssists as a starter for Montegranaro!
Even their Center Valerio Loving averaged 1.3 per game...

It really looks as if he still is a shoot first guard.
Cologne definetly needs another PG in addition to Misan. I'd still much more like to see him on the SG position!

CWILL
07-24-2007, 11:51 AM
TBB Trier found a replacement for Brandon Gay: former Wichita-State Forward Kyle Wilson signed a one-year-contract! The team has an option for keeping Wilson for one more year!

xtf_no4
07-24-2007, 12:49 PM
Brandon Gay[/B], who had just signed a new contract with TBB Trier, joins Uleb-Cup team Antwerp Giants. Trier cancelled the contract due to "personal reasons".

Gay had signed a two year deal last season and has not resigned this year as far as I know.
By the way, who cares anymore :D

CWILL
07-25-2007, 04:05 PM
New Yorker Phantoms Braunschweig sign versatile SF John Allen. Allen spent the last season in Israel playing for Maccabi Ironi Ramat Gan. There he averaged 15,3 PPG, 4,5 RPG and 2,8 APG.

German A2 national player Jan Lipke returns to BBL after one year in Belgium: He signed a contract with Eisbären Bremerhaven!

Paderborn Baskets signed 31-year-old combo guard Malik Moore, who played in CBA last year!

robbe
07-26-2007, 06:29 AM
Telekom Baskets Bonn have signed SG Winsome Frazier (born 1982) from hungarian semi-finalist Falco KC-Szombathely for 2 years. Frazier is said to be a pretty decent defender with great hands. He scored more than 20 points a game in the playoffs in his rookie season, but he did that on more than 15 shots per game and bad shooting percentages. Plus: Seems to be unreliable from beyond the arc. So I'm interested to see what he can do on offense.

CWILL
07-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Brose Baskets are rumoured to sign former Georgia Tech Center Luke Schenscher.

Alba Berlin accounced today, that they signed 24-year-old wingman Dijon Thompson and Power Forward Dragan Dojcin.

Billy
07-27-2007, 01:06 PM
Brose Baskets are rumoured to sign former Georgia Tech Center Luke Schenscher.

I think he will be very solid in Europe, his game has always looked more "European" than adapted to the NBA.

CWILL
07-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Bamberg confirmed the signing of Schenscher! The Big Man signed for one year with brose baskets!

Meanwhile Forward Zelly Wesson and sharpshooter Begley will leave Bamberg!
And Koko Archibong was released from his contract with Alba Berlin.

Limitless
07-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Tim Begley joines Germanys record champion, Bayer Giants Leverkusen.

Austrian U20 talent Richard Poiger, a 6-8 forward, leaves the Giants and joins the Giessen 46ers organisation, where he will collect some minutes with ProA-squad TV Lich.

ULEB-Cup team Artland Dragons adds F Terrence Thomas from the Fort Worth Flyers of the NBDL. Prior to that, Thomas played for Ventspils in the ULEB Cup as well.

Buducnost PG
07-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Alba signed Djion Thompson and Dragan Dojcin. After the signings of Nikolic and Jeretin i think they are on a good way to the title, especially with Pavicevic as coach. I hope we will see a better teamplay this year not as last year and that the europeans (Nikolic+Jeretin) will be the players in the crunchtime.

Edit: And the addition of Femmerling is also very nice. He is still good enough for a team like Alba.

fasoulaki
07-27-2007, 03:37 PM
And the addition of Femmerling is also very nice. He is still good enough for a team like Alba.

I have the impression that Femerling is preparing for his retirement. He is returning to his "homeland of choice". His girl friend is from Berlin and as far as I know they own a house in berlin, too.

robbe
07-29-2007, 08:06 AM
Aniekan "Koko" Archibong from ALBA Berlin to DB Frankfurt Skyliners.

CWILL
07-29-2007, 11:04 AM
Archibong should fit with Didin's Skyliners team!
Good signing imo!
If they add a decent low-post center, Frankfurt should be back this year!

Limitless
07-30-2007, 02:35 PM
Both newcomers to the BBL have given out some press releases today: First, BG 74 Göttingen signs F Willie Jenkins from Maurienne of the second French division.
The second newcomer, POM Baskets Jena, has announed the arrival of G Blake Shelton, who inked a contract for the upcoming season. He spent the last season with the Sheffield Sharks in the UK.

F Alan Wiggins Jr., coming fresh out of the University of San Francisco, has signed a one-year-contract with Eisbären Bremerhaven.

ArnoldPettybone
07-30-2007, 04:32 PM
Any news about dan grunfeld and where he's heading?

CWILL
08-02-2007, 01:39 PM
@ArnoldPettybone: I have not heard anything about Grunfeld yet...

Latest transactions:
New Yorker Phantoms Braunschweig sign Power Forward Anthony Coleman, who spent the last 2 years in the D-League.
Meanwhile Milko Bjelica leaves Braunschweig and joins cup winner Cologne!
EnBW Ludwigsburg signed with sharpshooter Frank Young, a forward from West Viriginia and Vernon Hamilton, a guard who averaged 12.3 points, 3.1 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game for Clemson University. Hamilton is the last addition to Ludwisburg's backcourt.
Nathan Peavy, a wingman from Miami University, Ohio (NCAA1), signed with Paderborn Baskets.

Limitless
08-03-2007, 11:21 AM
The Giessen 46ers finish their roster and sign F Tory Walker of the New Yorker Phantoms Braunschweig to a two-year-deal.

With the signing of F Dee Andre Hulett, the WALTER Tigers Tübingen finish their team as well. Hulett, who was drafted by the Toronto Raptors in 2000, has signed a one-year-contract.

And as the third team of the day, EnBW Ludwigsburg has completed their team. C Coleman Alexander Collins will join the team. Coming straight from Virginia Tech University, he had an impressive performance at the Orlando Pre-Draft-Camp this year where he showed 17,7 ppg and 5,3 rpg.

The Eisbären Bremerhaven have signed Latvian NT player Ivars Timermanis of Ventspils. The 25 year old Forward is currently working out with his NT to earn a spot for the EC in Spain.

Newcomer BG 74 Göttingen makes another move, too, and signs F Jahmar Thorpe from the University of Houston for one season.

TBB Trier inked another player and - surprise, surprise - it's another player coming from the US. C Ted Skuchas has spent the last four seasons at Vanderbilt University where he played alongside F Daniel Cage, who Trier signed earlier this offseason. Skuchas got a one year contract.

Cypher
08-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Eisbären Bremerhaven manager Jan Rathjen has semi-officially confirmed, that Aleksander Krutikov will be the teams new assistant coach next season. Official reason for the change: The team wants someone with experience in international player scouting as an assistant. Former assistant Andreas Martin doesn't have that experience.

Martin meanwhile has joined New Yorker Phantoms Braunschweig as an assistant coach, reuniting with Emir Mutapcic.

DanMajerle
08-06-2007, 10:28 PM
Bonn signs Ronald Burrell and Johannes Strasser of Cologne.
Chad Prewitt leaves Artland Dragons and is replaced by Rich Melzer. Leverkusen signs PF Ransford Brempong from Nijmegen.
Oldenburg signs Rickey Paulding, it's astonishing how bad all the money was spent the previous seasons when you look at their current signings.

Limitless
08-07-2007, 03:52 PM
EWE Baskets Oldenburg sign G/F Rickey Paulding to a three-year-deal.

Artland Dragons add F Rich Melzer, who signed a one-year-contract (and announce the wedding of head coach Chris Fleming ;) )

Bayer Giants Leverkusen announce officially that G Tim Begley won't join the team. Instead, the Giants sign C Ransford Brempong from Canada.

// edit

Didn't saw that you edited your post, Dan... at least the Fleming news was a new one :D

CWILL
08-08-2007, 09:21 AM
Oldenburg with another decent move imo.
Paulding should be a very good player in BBL!
Sensational what Krunic is doing in Oldenburg and it really makes you wonder what a bad job Don Beck did in the last couple of years!

Their roster looks really strong:
PG Gardner / Radkovica
SG Pekovic / Hain
SF Paulding
PF Perkovic / Majstorovic / Strauch
C McClintock

I would not be surprised if Oldenburg turns out to be a serious title-contender...

DanMajerle
08-08-2007, 09:36 AM
I think the Starting Five will be

Gardner/Paulding/Perkovic/Majstorovic/McClintock

robbe
08-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Let me just have a short try at the BBL depth charts…

Brose Baskets (Champion)
Steffen Hamann (GER) / Mark Dickel
Demond Greene (GER) / Robert Garrett (GER)
Predrag Suput
Ademola Okulaja (GER) / Darren Fenn / Tim Ohlbrecht (GER)
Luke Schenscher / Chris Ensminger

Coach: Bauermann

ALBA Berlin
Goran Jeretin / X / Nicolai Simon (GER)
Julius Jenkins / Johannes Herber (GER)
Dijon Thompson / X / Philip Zwiener (GER)
Goran Nikolic / Dragan Dojcin
Michael Bradley / Patrick Femerling (GER)

Coach: Pavicevic

Telekom Baskets Bonn
Miah Davis / Johannes Strasser (GER)
Winsome Frazier / Arthur Kolodziejski (GER)
Jason Conley / Moussa Diagne
Ronnie Burrell / Patrick Flomo
John Bowler / Bernd Kruel (GER)

Coach: M.Koch

New Yorker Phantoms Braunschweig
Domonic Jones / Steven Wright / Flavio Stückemann (GER)
Jonathan Levy/ Jorge Schmidt (GER)
John Allen / Nikita Khartchenkov (GER)
X / Peter Fehse (GER)
X / Anthony Coleman

Coach: Mutapcic

Eisbären Bremerhaven
Brian Brown / Nate Funk
Tommy Adams / Jan Lipke (GER)
Zygimantas Jonusas / Ivars Timermanis
Alan Wiggins / RT Guinn
X / Nate Doornekamp

Coach: Sakalauskas

Deutsche Bank Skyliners Frankfurt
Pascal Roller (GER) / Jimmy Hunt / Rudy Mbemba
Jimmy McKinney / Dominic Bahiense de Mello (GER)
Koko Archibong / Stefano Garris (GER) / Alex King (GER)
X / Maksym Shtein (GER)
Derrick Allen / Kirsten Zöllner (GER)

Coach: Didin

Gießen 46ers
Obie Trotter / Shawan Robinson
Michael Umeh / Marko Buljevic (GER)
Tory Walker / Rouven Roessler (GER)
Corey Rouse / Gerrit Terdenge (GER) / Johannes Lischka (GER)
Ed Nelson / Florian Hartenstein (GER)

Coach: Leibenath

BG Göttingen (Newcomer)
Dwayne Kirkley / Jeb Ivey
Warren Brooks / Marco Grimaldi (GER) / Babis Douloudis (GER)
Nigel Moore / Selim Mulic
Willie Jenkins/ Jahmar Thorpe / Robert Dill (GER)
Kevin Hanson / Michael Schröder (GER)

Coach: Patrick

POM Baskets Jena (Newcomer)
Blake Shelton / Al Elliott
Alexander Seggelke (GER)
Sean McCaw / Mischa Zlotowski (GER)
Adrian Moss / Gregor Linke (GER)
Ajmal Basit / Lars Buss (GER)

Coach: Harmsen

Köln 99ers
Misan Nikagbatse (GER) / X
Imanuell McElroy / X
X / Philip Schwethelm (GER)
Curtis Sumpter / Yassin Idbihi (GER)
Nenad Sinanovic / Milko Bjelica

Coach: Obradovic

Bayer Giants Leverkusen
Zack Whiting / Gordon Geib (GER)
Brendan Winters / X
X / Beckham Wyrick
Eric Taylor / Ransford Brempong
Nate Fox

Coach: Kuczmann

ENBW Ludwigsburg
Ronald Ross / Vernon Hamilton
Brandon Woudstra / Stefan Fahrad (GER)
Frank Young / Jason Dourisseau
Nate Harris / Nils Mittmann (GER)
Michel de Nascimento / Coleman Collins

Coach: Poropat

EWE Baskets Oldenburg
Gardner / Radkovica
Pekovic / Hain (GER)
Paulding / X
Perkovic / Majstorovic / Strauch (GER)
McClintock / Anastosov (GER)

Coach: Krunic

Paderborn Baskets
Tim Black
Malik Moore / Jason Edwin
Steven Esterkamp (GER) / Nathan Peavy
Terren Harbut / Marius Nolte (GER)
Anthony Washington / Christoph Hackenesch (GER)

Coach: Spradley

Artland Dragons Quakenbrück
John Goldsberry / X
Lamont McIntosh / EJ Rowland / Hendrik Feist (GER)
Terrance Thomas / Jan Rohdewald (GER)
Rich Melzer / X
Adam Chubb / Darius Hall

Coach: Fleming

TBB Trier
Marcus Taylor / Kosta Karamatskos (GER)
Daniel Cage / James Gillingham
Kyle Wilson / Jonathan Moore (GER)
Andre Smith / Josh Almanson
Robert Jackson / Ted Skuchas

Coach: Whelton

Walter Tigers Tübingen
Waitari Marsh / Igor Perovic
AJ Moye / Jay Thomas (GER)
Dee Andre Hulett / Richard Jeter
Bingo Merriex / Ryan DeMichael (GER)
Rasko Katic / Douglas Grokala Gorauskas

Coach: McCarthy

ratiopharm Ulm
Kyle Bailey / Dru Joyce
EJ Gallup / Jan Sprünken (GER) / Sebastian Betz (GER)
Emeka Erege (GER) / Konrad Wysocki (GER)
Jeff Gibbs / Florian Möbius (GER)
Bryan Lucas / Sean Finn

Coach: Taylor

Limitless
08-08-2007, 11:00 PM
Two little corrections, otherwise nothing to complain about...

TBB Trier

Gießen 46ers
Tory Walker / Rouven Roessler (GER) / Richard Poiger

robbe
08-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Two little corrections, otherwise nothing to complain about...

TBB Trier

Gießen 46ers
Tory Walker / Rouven Roessler (GER) / Richard Poiger

Yeah, I got Skuchas.

I thought about putting Poiger in there, but do you think he'll be getting any playing time? I know it's arguable at some point, but I wanted to put just those players in there, who'll show up in the rotation.

ArnoldPettybone
08-09-2007, 12:01 AM
Let me just have a short try at the BBL depth charts…

Brose Baskets (Champion)
Steffen Hamann (GER) / Mark Dickel
Demond Greene (GER) / Robert Garrett (GER)
Predrag Suput
Ademola Okulaja (GER) / Darren Fenn / Tim Ohlbrecht (GER)
Luke Schenscher / Chris Ensminger

Coach: Bauermann

when did Bamberg signed Okulaja? didn't heard anything about that.

CWILL
08-09-2007, 10:17 AM
Okulaja and Bamberg are still in negotiations!
But the rumour goes arund that Adi will sign with brose baskets!

Limitless
08-09-2007, 11:01 AM
Last year, no one expected Buljevic to get any time on the court, but suddently he was collecting 15, 20 minutes a game. Since Walker isn't Mr. Best Health, I wouldn't rule it out that Poiger could get some meaningful time on the court. But on the other hand, you're right that one shouldn't call that really being in the rotation, so you were probably right when you didn't include him in there.

TRANSACTIONS:

Trier keeps moving to the coast of the North Sea. After Brian Brown and Nate Doornekamp, the Eisbären Bremerhaven sign another player who has some history with the team from Germanys oldest city. G Tommy Adams recived a one-year-deal with the team after spending the last season with TBB Trier.

An era comes to an end: EWE Baskets Oldenburg announce that G/F Tyron McCoy won't suit up for them in the next season and is probably on the verge of retirement. McCoy was playing for Oldenburg since 2001 and played previously one season each with the teams of Giessen, Lich and Frankfurt in the BBL.

CWILL
08-13-2007, 05:53 PM
Alba Berlin signs former NBA player Michael Bradley!
After playing from 2001 - 2006 in the NBA, the 28-year-old played in ACB for Bruesa-Guipuzcoa BC. He scored 13.1 points and grabbed 8.4 boards in Spain.

Pedrag Krunic still relies on serbian players: EWE Baskets Oldenburg sign 22-year-old Center Mirko Anastasov to a one-year deal.
Meanwhile the club announced that Dan Grunfeld and Desmond Penigar will not return!

Bryan Bailey will leave the Artland Dragons after 3 years in Quakenbrück!
The Dragons already signed his successor: 26-year-old E.J. Rowland, who played in Australia and Latvia last season.

robbe
08-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Pedrag Krunic still relies on serbian players: EWE Baskets Oldenburg sign 22-year-old Center Mirko Anastasov to a one-year deal.
Meanwhile the club announced that Dan Grunfeld and Desmond Penigar will not return!
As far as I know, Mirko has a German passport. This is vital for Oldenburg, as their struggle has shifted from "fight for a playoff place" to "fight against the 3-Germans-rate".

CWILL
08-14-2007, 09:57 AM
Yeah, you're right, he has a german passport!
Funny that even the germans on Krunic's team have yugoslavian roots...;)
One should not hope that Anastasov is a big help for Oldenburg, he only had 0.2ppg und 0.8rpg in 6.8mpg when he played 5 games for Vrsac!

DanMajerle
08-16-2007, 06:52 AM
Bonn signs F Moussa Diagne from Senegal who was with Furman University the last couple of years. He'll back up the PF spot till Patrick Flomo comes back from his injury in January and then move to SF backup.

CWILL
08-16-2007, 12:12 PM
Alba Berlin adds another Guard to their roster: 22-year-old NCAA player Bobby Brown signed a one-year contract. Brown played at Cal State Fullerton University and could increase his stats in every year.
06/07 he had 20,2 points, 5,1 assists, 2,7 rebounds und 1,3 steals per game!

Eisbären Bremerhaven signed a couple of days ago Nate Funk. He is a combo guard and graduated from Creighton University.

Cologne 99ers loan bosnian Center Nedzad Sinanovic, 2,21m tall, for one year.

CWILL
08-21-2007, 03:15 PM
Artland Dragons complete their roster with Dirk Mädrich.
The german A2-international player previously played for Brauschweig and Bamberg and left Germany last season to play in Stasbourg.

F/C Chris Young is thelast addition to Eisbären Bremerhaven's new roster. Young holds a lithiuanian and an american passport and signed for one year.

Cologne 99ers loan serbian talent Marko Keselj for 2 years. The 19 year-old Forward played last season in Girona and won the Fiba EuroCup under Coach Pesic.
Looks like Cologne spent most of their money on Nikagbatse, Sumpter and of course Imanuel McElroy. The other players look kind of promising, but have a lack of experience. Sinanovic, Idbihi, Keselj, Schwethelm and evan Bjelica could turn out to be good players. But still I highly doubt that more than one of them could be a consistent help to the three "stars" of the team.
It will be interesting to see, wheather Cologne still has some money left for a decent combo guard and a solid backup PG.
Still I don't believe that they can do more than fight for a play-off spot!

Lomax
08-22-2007, 01:43 PM
watch out for idbihi ... ;) imho he´s more than a promising project ... but we´ll see

CWILL
08-22-2007, 09:16 PM
I'm very curious how good Idbihi is!
He could really be an important player!

Frankfurt Skyliners currently test Ilian Evtimov. The french-bulgarian is in a try-out phase until September 12th.
He had a pretty good start in the first pre-season game for the Skyliners and managed to score 15 points, 8 boards, 4 steals and 3 assists. Skyliners defeated ProA team Kaiserslautern 94:54 (51:25).
Frankfurt looked really good with their frontcourt: Derrick Allen, Koko Archibong, Ilian Evtimov.
With this promising line-up Didin's team could really play very fast run and gun style!

woma
08-22-2007, 10:01 PM
Derek Raivio coming from Gonzaga University signed with Rhein Energie Cologne.

DanMajerle
08-23-2007, 02:14 PM
Bamberg signs F Ademola Okulaja.

Trifilli
08-23-2007, 02:57 PM
Derek Raivio coming from Gonzaga University signed with Rhein Energie Cologne.

Interesting, PAOK was interested in him as well. Then again... who would chose PAOK atm, if he has the choice? :rolleyes:

Frankfurt Skyliners currently test Ilian Evtimov. The french-bulgarian is in a try-out phase until September 12th.
He had a pretty good start in the first pre-season game for the Skyliners and managed to score 15 points, 8 boards, 4 steals and 3 assists. Skyliners defeated ProA team Kaiserslautern 94:54 (51:25).
Frankfurt looked really good with their frontcourt: Derrick Allen, Koko Archibong, Ilian Evtimov.
With this promising line-up Didin's team could really play very fast run and gun style!

Have you been at the game? I sadly couldn't make it, so I'd be interested in how the backcourt looked. I'm still sceptical about Hunt and I didn't like McKinney too much last season. How did those guys do and how did Garris, King and Bahiense de Mello play?

CWILL
08-23-2007, 09:48 PM
Have you been at the game? I sadly couldn't make it, so I'd be interested in how the backcourt looked. I'm still sceptical about Hunt and I didn't like McKinney too much last season. How did those guys do and how did Garris, King and Bahiense de Mello play?

Jimmie Hunt was a disappointment to me. He tried to organize the game and play as a pure PG. He took only ttwo shots and made them both! But there is not much more positive to mention... Jimmie had his troubles with Kaiserslauterns PG Johnny Mathies, who really stole the show.
Hardly anyone of the Skyliners backcourt could stop him and especially Hunt had his problems against him! Imo he's not more than a backup and I really wonder why Frankfurt gave him a 3-year contract... I can't see anything that special about him! But maybe it was because Mathies is that good...

McKinney looked kind of bored and seemed to be less interested in the game. He went 2/8 from the floor and had some horrible turnovers.
De Mello had some good scenes in fast-breakes and two nice passes that found Koko Archibong, who could finish with a dunk.
King did only get some garbage time, showed good effort, but was again only 2/6 from the charity strike...
Nino Garris only played in the 1st half and looked really confident! This was probably one of his best games for the Skyliners. He moved very well, defended good and was able to hit some threes. He could really become a big help if he can manage to play more often like this!
But then again: It was only Kaiserslautern, a Pro A team...

woma
08-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Interesting, PAOK was interested in him as well. Then again... who would chose PAOK atm, if he has the choice? :rolleyes:

From what I know PAOK was interested in him, if he would have belgium passport. But in the end he doesn't have it...

Limitless
08-24-2007, 08:18 AM

Which was tired because it played against Hessens finest the day before ;)

Trifilli
08-24-2007, 08:33 AM
Jimmie Hunt was a disappointment to me. He tried to organize the game and play as a pure PG. He took only ttwo shots and made them both! But there is not much more positive to mention... Jimmie had his troubles with Kaiserslauterns PG Johnny Mathies, who really stole the show.
Hardly anyone of the Skyliners backcourt could stop him and especially Hunt had his problems against him! Imo he's not more than a backup and I really wonder why Frankfurt gave him a 3-year contract... I can't see anything that special about him! But maybe it was because Mathies is that good...

McKinney looked kind of bored and seemed to be less interested in the game. He went 2/8 from the floor and had some horrible turnovers.
De Mello had some good scenes in fast-breakes and two nice passes that found Koko Archibong, who could finish with a dunk.
King did only get some garbage time, showed good effort, but was again only 2/6 from the charity strike...
Nino Garris only played in the 1st half and looked really confident! This was probably one of his best games for the Skyliners. He moved very well, defended good and was able to hit some threes. He could really become a big help if he can manage to play more often like this!

Thanks man, sadly this is exactly what I expected. It remains to be seen how the backcourt will do in the BBL, much will depend on Roller, I don't have too many hopes though. A playoff spot should still be considered a must though. And I can tell you the reason why Hunt received a 3-year contract: cheap, cheaper, the cheapest... plus he had no agent, so Gunnar didn't have to pay a fee. Expect some clauses in that contract though.

From what I know PAOK was interested in him, if he would have belgium passport. But in the end he doesn't have it...

Interesting, just heard that they were interested, didn't know about the belgian passport story. Seems that PAOK didn't manage to find Aris passport factory yet :p

Which was tired because it played against Hessens finest the day before ;)

They played against TV Langen? :p :D

Limitless
08-24-2007, 12:21 PM
I usually would demand satisfaction right now, but I somehow manage to laugh at this exorbitance ;) ;) ;) Are you at the game tomorrow?

Trifilli
08-24-2007, 12:44 PM
I usually would demand satisfaction right now, but I somehow manage to laugh at this exorbitance ;) ;) ;)

:D I didn't only badmouth the 46ers though with my Langen comment, the Skyliners were included in the package as well :p :D

Are you at the game tomorrow?

Don't know yet, I'm invited at a friends house for a party and promised to come, but maybe I'll make it to the game before. I think that I'm gonna decide that tomorrow - the derby should be fun even if only for a test game though, guess that some guys from Giessen are gonna come over and the BCM is not quite the biggest arena in the world :p

Limitless
08-24-2007, 01:25 PM
:D I didn't only badmouth the 46ers though with my Langen comment, the Skyliners were included in the package as well :p :D

Yeah, that is going to cool my rage... :rolleyes: :p :D

Don't know yet, I'm invited at a friends house for a party and promised to come, but maybe I'll make it to the game before. I think that I'm gonna decide that tomorrow - the derby should be fun even if only for a test game though, guess that some guys from Giessen are gonna come over and the BCM is not quite the biggest arena in the world :p

We'll be tired, since weight lifting is scheduled for today, but it should be fun - after all, it's a derby... and yeah, there will be some guys from Giessen, even though not as many as in the last years, since this time the Skyliners get all the money, not the School ;)

elaj
08-30-2007, 03:22 PM
EWE Baskets Oldenburg is trying out Slovenian Miha Fon (194cm, SG, 1984).

Buzzer
08-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Cologne is still desparately waiting for some backcourt upgrades - a shooter like Raivio would be more than welcome. Seems that he has been in Cologne, maybe for a tryout but since then - no news. Does anyone have any further information?

PHILIPeurobasket
08-30-2007, 07:37 PM
EWE Baskets Oldenburg is trying out Slovenian Miha Fon (194cm, SG, 1984).

Fon last season spent in Slask Wroclaw - I will write you EWE Baskets Oldenburg fans true - Slovenian guards was (is?) in Wroclaw very very poor player. but maybe in Germany he will be better :rolleyes:

CWILL
09-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Nearly all teams got their roster for next season. Some, like Alba Berlin for example, are still looking for one or two additions.

Time to take a look at all teams and predict their chances.

Therefore I grouped the teams in different sections.
1-2 are most likely to win the championship
3-10 are serious play-off candidates
11-15 are mid-fielders and too weak for a play-off spot, but too strong to face relegation.
16-18 will have to fight relegation
(german players are marked in italic letters.)

1st - 2nd place

Brose Baskets Bamberg:

Hamann/Dickel/Hauer
Greene/Garrett
Okulaja/Suput
Fenn/Ohlbrecht
Schenscher/Ensminger

Bamberg and Berlin should be favorites to become champion in 2008. There is large gap between them and other teams. After losing Casey Jacobson, Z'Kell Wesson and Vincent Yarbrough, they made some nice additions with New Zealand's international player Mark Dickel, who can support Hamann with his experience on the PG position. Demond Greene and Ademola Okulaja are well known in Germany and should be a big help. Suput is imo a good signing too and Schenscher could fit in Bauermann's system as well.

Alba Berlin

Jeretin/Brown/Simon
Jenkins/Herber
Thompson/Zwiener
Nikolic/Dojcin
Bradley/Femerling

This new Alba team looks completly different compared to last year's. With Ford and Owens, two NBA-like players left. New coach Pavicevic added players to his team that know how to play european style. Bradley and Femerling should be a really strong Center couple. Nikolic and Jeretin know how to play on european top level. Alba will probably add another SF when the contract problems with Chris Owens are settled.

3rd - 10th place

Artland Dragons

Goldsberry/Rowland
McIntosh/Feist
Thomas/Rohdewald
Melzer/Mädrich/Johnson
Chubb/Hall

The big surpise of last season was Artland. They managed to eliminate Alba and Cologne in the play-offs and reached the finals against Bamberg. With Adam Hess, Filiberto Rivera, Chad Prewitt and Brian Bailey leaving Artland, coach Fleming had a lot of work this summer. With Adam Chubb, one of the best Centers of the leagur joins Quakenbrück. He and Darius Hall should be a big problem for the opponents. John Goldsberry, coming from Leverkusen, already showed his talent, but has a tough job to replace sensational Rivera. Melzer is coming in for Prewitt and Thomas is the replacement for Hess.
Artland again looks strong enough to make it to the play-offs.

EWE Baskets Oldenburg

Gardner/Radkovica
Pekovic/Hain
Paulding/
Perkovic/Majstorovic/Strauch
McClintock/Anastosov

After failing to qualify for the play-offs, Oldenburg fired coach Don Beck. With new headcoach Pedrag Krunic a whole new team plays for Oldenburg next season. In contradiction to Beck's philosophy, Krunic relies more on european players. With Radkovica, Pekovic, Perkovic and Majstorovic 4 players from former Yugoslavia will play in northern germany now. The americans Krunic signed are far away from being unexperienced college guys (like Carl Krauser last year...): Jason Gardner knows the league and had a decent year with Bonn last season. McClintock and Paulding are quality players, who already proved that they can compete on european level.
Oldenburg could be an insider tip.

Deutsche Bank Skyliners

Roller/Hunt/Mbemba (?)
McKinney/de Mello
Archibong/Garris/King
Evtimov/Shtein
Allen/Zoellner

After 2 very disappointing seasons, the Skyliners look pretty strong again. They seem to have learned from their past mistakes and now rely on BBL experienced players. With Derrick Allen last year's topscorer of the league joins Frankfurt and top defender Koko Archibong comes from Berlin. Roller comes back from Italy. And with Shtein (last year in Ulm) and Zoellner (german Center prospect, who played in Greece last year) two nice role-players were added. French Forward Ilian Evtimov could be a perfect addition in Didin's fast game. Frankfurt should be back on the map!

Eisbären Bremerhaven

Brown/Funk
Adams/Lipke
Jonusas/Timermanis
Wiggins/Guinn
Doornekamp/Zyskunov

With Chubb, Wallace and Jones leaving, Sakalauskas had to find new quality players and form a new team. He decided to sign two very talented players, with doubtful characters though: Brian Brown and Tommy Adams. If Doc Sakalauskas manages to make them help the team and not being too selfish, Bremerhaven could be a play-off competitor again. Nate Funk is another nice addition to the back-court. And if Doornekamp manages to develop under Sakalauskas and Wiggins can replace Wallace, there should be play-off basketball in Bremerhaven again this year.

Cologne 99ers

Nikagbatse/ X
Raivio/Schwethelm
McElroy/Keselj
Sumpter/Idbihi
Bjelica/Sinanovic

Tough loses for Cologne: After losing their major sponsor RheinEnergie, almost all players left the team. Only Imanuel McElroy stayed in Cologne and will be - aged 27 - the veteran for this young team. The 99ers are full of talented players: Nikagbatse, Idbihi, Schwethelm, Sinanovic and even Bjelica are all promising players. Raivio and Sumpter still have to prove that they are good on european level. If the one or two of the youngsters can step up and help the go-to-guys and if Sumpter and Raivio prove to be decent players, Cologne could still make it to the play-offs.

Telekom Baskets Bonn

Davis/Strasser
Frazier/Kolodziejski
Conley/Diagne
Burrell/Flomo
Bowler/Kruel

Bonn's roster looks good again and they should be a play-off contender again. With Strasser, Kolodziejski and Kruel they have very solid role-players. To be as productive as last year, they need Conley and Bowler to step up, Davis to be a solide replacement for Gardner and hope that injury prone Burrell will stay healthy. If this happens, I don't see Bonn weaker than last season. And there they were close to eliminate Bamberg from the play-offs...

EnBW Ludwigsburg

Ross/Hamilton/Zdravkovic
Woudstra/Fahrad
Young/Dourisseau
Harris/Mittmann
Nascimento/Collins

Ludwigsburg was the surpise of last year's regular season, finishing on 2nd place. They lost MVP Jerry Green and SG Foster, who now earn nearly twice as much as Ludwigsburg could pay them. With veteran Goljovic and Center Cukinas they ost two other important players. But coach Poropat made some nice moves in the off-season. With Brandon Woudstra, he signed a very intelligent player, who played in Leverkusen. Ronald Ross still has to prove, that he can compete as a PG in Europe and replacing Jerry Green should be a tough job for him. But with Young Ludwigsburg signed a very good player, who should become there go-to-guy. Harris and Nascimento remain with them and already showed how skillful they are.

Walter Tigers Tübingen

Marsh/Perovic
Moye/Thomas
Hulett/Jeter
Merriex/DeMichael
Katic/Gorauskas

Tübingen kept with Moye and Katic there two top-players, who were targeted by a lot of teams this summer. Especially Katic, who had a tremendous season in 06/07 surprisingly decided to stay in Tübingen. With Bingo Merriex returning and the signing of BBL-All-Star Ryan DeMichael, Tübingens front court looks very strong! Marsh and Perovic know how to play under coach McCarthy. If Hulett or Jeter turn out to be a steal, Tübingen could become a serious play-off contender!

So far...
Groups 11-15 and 16-18 will be posted tomorrow...

Limitless
09-03-2007, 01:48 PM
Rumors say that TBB Trier decided to release Andre Smith. Also, they are testing C Tim Frost, who spent some time with 2nd-division squad Breitengüßbach in the 04-05 season.

The Giessen 46ers are looking for a temporary replacement on the PG spot. Obie Trotter is out until mid-November due to a wrist injury. One possible candidate is Austen Rowland, who played for Ulm in the past season. The 46ers returned from training camp yesterday and Coach Leibenath is optimistic to find a solution until Friday.

robbe
09-03-2007, 02:11 PM
@CWILL:
Thanks very much. Surely a lot of work and definitely very nicely done. I generally agree with the predictions. Maybe not for Tuebingen, of whom I think that they are a little bit overrated, but for the other teams. I have Oldenburg as the only clear playoff participant of that 3-10 group.

Berlin and Bamberg should really decide the regular season title between them.

CWILL
09-04-2007, 10:59 AM
Section 11-15

Gießen 46ers

Trotter/Robinson
Umeh/Buljevic
Walker/Roessler
Rouse/Terdenge/Lischka
Nelson/Hartenstein

The 46ers are one of the few teams that could easiely send an all-german squad on the field. With Lischka and Buljevic they have two very talented youngsters, with Roessler the best german scorer of the league and Terdenge and Hartenstein are the veterans. Trotter proved at the end of last season that he can be a decent playmaker in the BBL. Unfortunatly he broke his hand and has to be replaced for the first couple of weeks. Umeh could turn out to be a big steal. I'm very curious to see him play in the german league. Nelson, a former football-player, and Hartenstein could have problems against quicker big man, because both are pretty... heavy-boned ;)
Gießen needs Walker to stay healthy and Rouse (I think he's overrated...) to clean up the boards. I don't think Gießen with rookie headcoach Thorsten Leibenarth is strong enough to be a play-off contender. But they should be strong enough to finish between 11th and 13th spot.

TBB Trier

Taylor/Karamatskos/Hoffmann
Cage/Gillingham
Wilson/Moore
Smith (?)/Almanson
Jackson/Skuchas

Again a typical Joe Whelton all-american team! While wealthier teams like Berlin, Frankfurt or Oldenburg stopped relying on american players (especially guys just coming from college!), financially poorer teams like Trier still (have to) try their luck and hope for a steal!
It was very important for Trier to keep Marcus Taylor. He made quite a good job on the play-making position. Troublemaker Tommy Adams left and Brandon Gay isn't playing for Trier this season as well. Rumours say that Smith (or Skuchas?) already left them, so they'd need a new frontcourtplayer.
Even if Cage or Wilson should turn out to be quality players, I don't see them any further than in the mid-field.

ratiopharm Ulm

Bailey/Joyce
Gallup/Sprünken/Betz
Erege/Wysocki
Gibbs/Möbius
Lucas/Finn

Ulm played a tremendous first season in BBL and managed to keep their leader Jeff Gibbs for the next 3 years! Other important role-players like Erege, Wysocki or Lucas stayed with the team. Coach Tayler only had to replace his guards: Austin Rowland and Jonathan Levy left. With Kyle Bailey Ulm got a very promising player, who spent last year in the second league with Göttingen. He should work in Taylors system as well as he did in Göttingen.
Dru Joyce and EJ Gallup should be a nice addition too, but more than a position in the mid-field would be a surpirse to me.

Bayer Giants Leverkusen

Whiting/Geib
Winters
Wyrick
Fox/Brempong
Taylor

Difficult situation for coach Kuczmann and his Giants: Major sponsor Bayer, who supported the team for decades announced that they will retire after the 07/08 season. The whole season seems to be overshadowed by this and the lack of new sponsors. Leverkusen lost their best players to other competitors: topscorer Derrick Allen joined Frankfurt, Brandon Woudstra plays ball in Ludwigsburg now and John Goldsberry became Artlands new PG.
Only Beib, Fox and Taylor remained as quality players. Zack Whiting looks like a promising signing, but though at least two new players need to be added, it looks like Leverkusen is not a play-off competitor anymore.

New Yorker Phantoms Braunschweig

Jones/Wright/Stückemann
Levy/Schmidt
Allen/Khartchenkov
Coleman/Fehse
Visser/Freese

With Dominic Jones and Johnathan Levy two guards arrive at Braunschweig that are well known in BBL. Especially Levy should be a big help for coach Mutapcic's team. Also former Wake Forest Big Man Kyle Visser should be a strong Center on BBL level. The german additions on the team are too weak to be a help for the starters: Stückemann, Schmidt, Khartchenkov, Freese and (even NBA Draft Pick ;)) Peter Fehse have to prove that they can compete on BBL level. Braiunschweig's bench looks pretty weak. So they really are very dependent on their starters. Injuries could turn out to be a big problem. I don't see Mutapcic's squad in the position to make the play-offs.

Section 16-18

Baskets Paderborn

Black
Edwin/Moore
Esterkamp/Peavy
Harbut/Nolte
Washington/Hackenesch

Paderborn has to deal with a really small budget again. Still they managed to keep important players like Tim Black and Stephen Esterkamp who have played in Paderborn the last few years. New Center Anthony Washington injured his left knee and is out for about 4-6 weeks. Jason Edwin was a great player for Schalke in the secong division. In a cup game against Paderborn he must have impressed the management when he scored 39 points. Still Edwin has to prove that he can compete in BBL. Nathan Peavy is an unexperienced rookie coming straight out of college, Harbut is young too and comes from a second division team. Unlike them 31-year-old Malik Moore knows how to compete on european level and will help the young players.
Still Paderborn looks to me a lot weaker than the midfield teams. Their goal must be to stay in the league.

BG 74 Göttingen

Kirkley/Ivey
Brooks/Grimaldi/Douloudis
Moore/Mulic
Jenkins/Thorpe/Dill
Hanson/Schröder

Coach John Patrick decided to keep 7 players of the last season. After losing PG Kyle Bailey to Ulm, Dwayne Kirkley and Jeb Ivey will share the playmaker position. Göttingen wants to play as fast as they played last season in the second division. Some call their run and gun style guard-terror. With Nigel Moore and Warren Brooks for example Göttingen added players to their roster that fit in their high speed game. It seems very questionable wheather Göttingen can play that fast in a much more physical league. A lot of teams will try to play very physicl against them. Kevin Hanson and Michael Schröder played well in the second division, but have to prove that they are capable to compete in BBL. So it's a very risky thing Göttingen does. But you have to give them credit for doing their own thing. It will be very interesting to see wheater their plan will work out.

Pom Baskets Jena

Shelton/Elliott
Seggelke
McCaw/Zlotowski
Moss/Linke
Basit/Buss

Just like Göttingen, Jena as the second newcomer faces a tough season and has to prove that they can keep up in the first division. Young headcoach Björn Harmsen decided to keep a lot of players from last year's roster: Seggelke, McCaw, Linke and Buss were the leaders in the second division. With Adrian Moss they signed a former Florida Gator and NCAA champion, Blake Shelton played in Britain and Ajmal Basit is very experienced BBL Center coming after a very poor year from Oldenburg. Still Jena has financial problems and it's still not 100% clear that they can manage it to play BBL next season. Just like Cologne they need to play in tent, because no suitable hall is available. Hopefully all technical problems can be solved and Jena compete in BBL. Still Jena looks to me like the weakest team of the league and they are my #1 candidat for relegation.

Limitless
09-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Section 11-15

Gießen 46ers

Trotter/Robinson
Umeh/Buljevic
Walker/Roessler
Rouse/Terdenge/Lischka
Nelson/Hartenstein

The 46ers are one of the few teams that could easiely send an all-german squad on the field. With Lischka and Buljevic they have two very talented youngsters, with Roessler the best german scorer of the league and Terdenge and Hartenstein are the veterans. Trotter proved at the end of last season that he can be a decent playmaker in the BBL. Unfortunatly he broke his hand and has to be replaced for the first couple of weeks. Umeh could turn out to be a big steal. I'm very curious to see him play in the german league. Nelson, a former football-player, and Hartenstein could have problems against quicker big man, because both are pretty... heavy-boned ;)
Gießen needs Walker to stay healthy and Rouse (I think he's overrated...) to clean up the boards. I don't think Gießen with rookie headcoach Thorsten Leibenarth is strong enough to be a play-off contender. But they should be strong enough to finish between 11th and 13th spot.

First, thanks for all the work you've put in these two posts - nice to read 'em and no team where I thought "What the hell is he thinking?" ;) Great work!

Just a small addition to my beloved 46ers: I don't think that the problem of Nelson and Hartenstein will be the speed - especially Nelson can outrun some Guards in the BBL IMHO. But I'm not sure how we'll do against a team with a tall and athletic center, since Ed and Flo both are undersized for centers.

One thing is for sure: I'm really looking forward to a Nelson-Jeff Gibbs matchup in the games vs. Ulm, two football players meeting each other on the hardwood might be fun to watch ;)

CWILL
09-04-2007, 01:40 PM
EWE Baskets Oldenburg made its last signing: Branimir Longin, a 28-year-old Shooting Guard who played last season for ACB team Cajasol Sevilla, signed a one-year contract.

Oldenburgs roster looks like this now:

Gardner/Radkovica
Pekovic/Longin/Hain
Paulding/
Perkovic/Majstorovic/Strauch
McClintock/Anastosov

@Limitless: You're right, Nelson and Hartenstein are undersized. I haven't seen Nelson play so far. Some people just told me, that Nelson/Hartenstein could be too slow and small to compete against better Big Man in BBL.
But I'm sure you know that better!

I should've done something for university and just started writing a little preview during some breaks. I somehow ended up writing more and more on this preview and the result is the two posts...
My professor will be mad at me... ;)

CWILL
09-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Time to chancel contracts: TBB Trier sent Andre Smith and Ted Skuchas home and agreed to sign Center Tim Frost instead!

Eisbären Bremerhaven chanceled their contract with Power Forward Alan Wiggins Jr. Officially both sides decided to part ways.

Meanwhile Alba Berlin signed another Big Man: Center Mladen Pantic joins Alba and will be a back-up center for them. Pantic is 25-years-old and played for FMP Zeleznik Belgrad last season.
Rubens Boumtje-Boumtje and Nenad Canak will leave Berlin!

Cypher
09-09-2007, 05:14 PM
The Eisbären Bremerhaven have lost C Chris Young for at least three months due to a severe knee injury.

Young, who performed very well in the first three exhibition contests so far, could be replaced by former German NT C Robert Maras. Maras played for the Gießen 46ers joined the Eisbären for their yearly training camp at Palanga, Lithuania and will be tried out there.

Bremerhaven is also considering PF/C Charles Bennett as a replacement for Alan Wiggins Jr. Bennett played in Bremerhaven during the 2005/06 season and spent last season playing in Turkey.

Alan Wiggins Jr. meanwhile is in Trier for a Tryout.

CWILL
09-09-2007, 07:58 PM
I always wondered where Robert Maras would end up.
He played a good season with Gießen (9.4 PPG, 6.8 RPG, 11.8 EFF in 28 minutes per game) and I think he should suit well in Sakalauskas' system.

Other BBL players from last season who are still available:

Heiko Schaffartzik (played for Oldenburg last season)
Brian Jones (replaced in Bremerhaven by Brian Brown)
Aleksandar Nadjfeji (former Cologne and Bonn player)
Jovo Stanojevic (Alba center, who considered to play in Serbia next season)
Rubens Boumtje-Boumtje (showed some very good games for Berlin, but wasn't given the chance to show some more)

And if Alba will find a solution with Chris Owens contract (the player used an option to remain in Berlin, new coach Pavicevic doesn't want him...), he should be available as well.

Edit: Another replacement... After a couple of weeks in training camp, Walter Tigers Tübingen decided to part ways with Richard Jeter. The american Jeter could not satisfy coach Aaron McCarthy's expectations and will be replaced with Ray Nixon, who played last season in Tübingen.
Jeter will move to USK Prag and try his luck there.

Limitless
09-10-2007, 07:42 AM
The Giessen 46ers sign PG Patrick Sparks, who suited up for Spartak St. Petersburg and Benfica Lissabon last season. Since he is a replacement for currently injured PG Obie Trotter, the former player of the University of Kentucky just signed until end of November, with different options for both sides to extend the contract to the end of the season.

CWILL
09-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Very bad news for Alba Berlin: Goran Jeretin suffered a rupture of the cruciate ligament and will be out for several months!
Coach Luka Pavicevic said: "Jeretins injury is the worst thing that could have happened to us. It finishes more or less the whole season for the player, who should have been the leader on the court for our team. This is a very tough blow for us, we need to handle this as quick as possible."
Manager Marco Baldi said Jeretin was meant to be "the central figure of our team."

I guess Alba won't sign another wing man now, they'll probably have to look for a new PG. With Bobby Brown coming straight from college and youngster Nicolai Simon still very raw anf unexperienced, they need to add another playmaker!

http://www.albaberlin.de/magazin/artikel.php?artikel=10347&type=2&menuid=57&topmenu=2

woma
09-10-2007, 08:57 PM
The Giessen 46ers sign PG Patrick Sparks, who suited up for Spartak St. Petersburg and Benfica Lissabon last season. Since he is a replacement for currently injured PG Obie Trotter, the former player of the University of Kentucky just signed until end of November, with different options for both sides to extend the contract to the end of the season.
Sparks is not a PG for me, nice player, who can make tough and important shots, but not a PG, even if his size would suggest it...

It will be interesting to see what Alba will do now without Jeretin, it will be tough for Pavicevic to get an european PG of Jeretin's level, so they will have to go for US playmaker probably...

CoachL
09-13-2007, 05:31 AM
Trier signed Caleb Green from Oral Roberts, who was in Dijon before. A 3 Time Mid-Major Player of the year.

CWILL
09-13-2007, 12:57 PM
Another replacement before the season even started: EnBW Ludwigsburg decided to part ways with Vernon Hamilton and instead sign experienced PG Ed Norvell.
Norvell played in Belgium for Antwerp Diamond Giants last year and averaged 10.7 points, 4.3 rebounds and 2.4 assists.

Deutsche Bank Skyliners made their last signing and will keep Illian Evtimov. The french-bulgarian Forward signed a 3 year contract in Frankfurt. Very good signing!

elaj
09-13-2007, 07:43 PM
Very bad news for Alba Berlin: Goran Jeretin suffered a rupture of the cruciate ligament and will be out for several months!
Coach Luka Pavicevic said: "Jeretins injury is the worst thing that could have happened to us. It finishes more or less the whole season for the player, who should have been the leader on the court for our team. This is a very tough blow for us, we need to handle this as quick as possible."
Manager Marco Baldi said Jeretin was meant to be "the central figure of our team."

I guess Alba won't sign another wing man now, they'll probably have to look for a new PG. With Bobby Brown coming straight from college and youngster Nicolai Simon still very raw anf unexperienced, they need to add another playmaker!

http://www.albaberlin.de/magazin/artikel.php?artikel=10347&type=2&menuid=57&topmenu=2
Reports say he will be sidelined for at least 6 months.

Picek
09-15-2007, 02:23 PM
Reports say he will be sidelined for at least 6 months.
unbelievable..
Mamic, Stanojevic, Greene and now Jeretin..
this team is cursed..

woma
09-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Jerome Beasley is signing/already signed with Bremerhaven, when he will re-unite with former Polpak Swiecie coach A.Krutikow, now assistant for Sakalauskas.

CWILL
09-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Surprisingly Dennis Wucherer played at the Rhein-Main Cup, a prep-tournament in Rhöndorf, for his old team Bayer Giants Leverkusen!
Officially he's just working out with them and no contract for the upcoming season was signed. Wucherer even seems to consider retirement if things in Leverkusen don't work out well.
But maybe he - if he can still compete in the pre-season - will join Leverkusen and finish his carreer there.

Another player surprisingly showed up at the Rhein Main Cup: Cologne 99ers had Sasa Nadjfeji on their team! Nadjfeji was meant to leave Cologne, but still seems to be on their practice team. It is well known that Nadjfeji loves to live in the Ruhrgebiet and maybe he even accepts a paycut and will play again for Cologne...

It would be great for the league to have those two back in action!

Limitless
09-16-2007, 04:23 PM
Another player surprisingly showed up at the Rhein Main Cup: Cologne 99ers had Sasa Nadjfeji on their team! Nadjfeji was meant to leave Cologne, but still seems to be on their practice team. It is well known that Nadjfeji loves to live in the Ruhrgebiet and maybe he even accepts a paycut and will play again for Cologne...

I guess, if you locate Cologne (and/or Bonn) in the Ruhr area one more time, you won't be living long enough to see Nadifeji and Wucherer playing again... both cities are major parts of the Rhineland ;)

CWILL
09-16-2007, 05:16 PM
@limitless: :D You're damn right!
For some strange reason I always mix up Rheineland and Ruhr area.
I just can't help it, again and again it happens and I'm sure it will happen again...:D

CWILL
09-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Alba Berlin announced the signing of former Braunschweig player Vujadin Subotic.
This looks like a plan b move to me. I guess Alba originally wanted to sign a better and more expensive wing-player.
But with Jeretin's injury they probably need some more money to land a new PG!

Joško Poljak Fan
09-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Alba Berlin announced the signing of former Braunschweig player Vujadin Subotic.
This looks like a plan b move to me. I guess Alba originally wanted to sign a better and more expensive wing-player.
But with Jeretin's injury they probably need some more money to land a new PG!
Subotić somehow earns the trust of surprisingly lots of coaches, I have yet to find out why since I can't find anything extraordinary about him that would make him deserve to play in all those clubs he did play...

hawk
09-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Check what all serbian players of Alba have in common?

Same that happened last year in Panionios with Pavicevic (Subara, Dragojlovic, Lukovski, Dojcin)

The answer of Subotic and Pantic transferS is...BEOBASKET

elaj
09-17-2007, 03:11 PM
The answer of Subotic and Pantic transferS is...BEOBASKET
Same goes for Dijon Thompson.;)

Limitless
09-17-2007, 03:34 PM
Must have been a great morning for Jerome Beasley. Seems like he woke up, having a baaaaaad hangover, and found a surprising thing in his bed: a contract with the Eisbären Bremerhaven. "Oh no, what have I done...? Well, I better don't get in that plane, otherwise I'm there for one whole season..." might have been what he thought, resulting in not entering the booked flight. Of course, the "polar bears" are pretty pissed right now, GM Rathjen announced that they will take action and talk to FIBA. If Beasley changes his mind now, it's too late: Even if he wants to come now, Bremerhaven doesn't want to work with such a player.

The Köln 99ers announced that Alexandar Nadifeji has signed a one-year-contract, after he was almost gone at the beginning of the offseason. The reason might have been the beautiful landscape of the Ruhr area... ummm... the Rhineland. :D

CWILL
09-17-2007, 05:41 PM
@limitless: I see, we sort of share the same problems...:D

Well, Sasa Nadjfeji is a fantastic player and it's great to have him back.
But I guess he's a very bad gambler, isn't he? ;)
Good for Cologne, they probably could sign him for some small money. And with Nadjfeji back on their young squad, they get the veteran they desperatly needed! For me Cologne is now much stronger and probably back in the play-off race.

I know it sounds kind of ignorant, but I think Bremerhaven should call themselves lucky! :eek:
It's better to lose a contract with a less motivated Beasley, than to play the whole season with such a disimpassioned Forward, that also would've cost a lot of money.
I guess what happened in Gießen with Nigel Moore last season was much worse...
But for sure they are right to take actions and talk with Fiba about this!

Cypher
09-17-2007, 07:36 PM
If it needed one more proof, that contracts in professional basketball are nothing more than worthless sheets of paper - you've got it right here.

Bremerhaven gets a nice taste of their own medicine. I'm not too sad about Beasley not joining the Eisbären, I've never been a great fan of this acquisition. Beasleys cv is not very impressive and IMO offers a lot of reason for scepticism. He is changing teams like other people are changing their underwear. NBA, two Euroleague-teams, CBA, Poland, NBDL, Australia, NBDL again, Venezuela, Dominican Republic... he basically hasn't stayed at one place for a whole season since his (unimpressive) time with the Miami Heat in the NBA.

I'm glad he stays where he is. We dodged a bullet right there. This team has problems enough already, we don't need another one.

CWILL
09-17-2007, 08:03 PM
Bremerhaven gets a nice taste of their own medicine.

You mean that strange story with Brian Jones, right? And the sudden departure of Wiggins...
What exactly happened with Jones? I still don't understand why they gave him a new contract and then chanceled it a couple of weeks later?!?
You got some insight view on this?
My Basketball friends from overseas keep asking me about Jones and his departure from Bremerhaven. Does anyone know what he's doing now?

Limitless
09-17-2007, 08:05 PM
I guess what happened in Gießen with Nigel Moore last season was much worse...

The bad guy was Reggie Moore - not Nigel, who stayed in the Giessen area for three years and has joined Göttingen a few weeks ago.

And our little problem ;) ain't so bad... the web site team of the HR (Hessen State TV and Radio) have located Giessen in the south of Hessen so many times even though its pretty much all the middle you can get... so we might be excused :D

Bremerhaven is dropping in my predictions for the season at the moment... Sakalauskas did a great job by making Brian Jones more of a PG, but I don't know if he can do it again with Brown, leaving the Eisbären without a PG, a starting man on the 4 spot and another Center with just three weeks left in preseason. I wonder if they sign Maras, who is best in a very slow system. Surely, it will be interesting to see Bremerhavens moves on the market in the next days...

Cypher
09-17-2007, 08:53 PM
You mean that strange story with Brian Jones, right? And the sudden departure of Wiggins...
What exactly happened with Jones? I still don't understand why they gave him a new contract and then chanceled it a couple of weeks later?!?
You got some insight view on this?
My Basketball friends from overseas keep asking me about Jones and his departure from Bremerhaven. Does anyone know what he's doing now?

Yeah, that is what I meant. But this story is just the tip of the iceberg. Bremerhaven has a pretty bad history in that regard. If I were a professional basketball player and if Bremerhavens manager Jan Rathjen would call me if I wanted to join them - honestly, I'd tell them to go to hell.

Small example: Alon Stein supposedly had an option in his contract that he used to extend his contract after the 2005/06 season. But the club didn't want him back. I don't know how things were settled in the end, but Steins valid contract was not excercised. He went on to play in Switzerland after that. Bremerhaven probably bought him out of his contract somehow.

Marcus Wilson was another victim of Bremerhavens management. Jones has become the last one. And I'm still trying to find out what happened exactly. In some newspaper reports published in the local paper Rathjen and Sakalauskas said, that they wanted someone at the PG-position who is a better scorer. So they went out and signed Brown and axed Jones a few weeks after he extended his contract for two years.

But that claim doesn't make any sense. Sakalauskas turned Jones into the kind of player that he now is. A pass-first PG who is looking to set up other teammates for easy scores, someone who is controlling the pace of the game. Brian Brown is basically the same type of player als the pre-Sakalauskas Brian Jones. It doesn't make any sense. If Sakalauskas wanted his PG to score more, Jones could have done that as well.

BTW: Jones still doesn't have a new team for next season. A local newspaper report claimed though, that lithuanian club BC Siauliai, a team the Eisbären played against (and they lost badly 62-84) during their training camp in Palanga last week, asked for Jones' telephone number, because they were interested in bringing him in.

hawk
09-18-2007, 02:50 PM
Robert Maras will play in Greece next year. He signed with Aegaleo.

Trifilli
09-19-2007, 01:58 PM
The Skyliners are lucky as well with injuries again. :rolleyes: Jimmy McKinney will be out of action for up to 3 months because of a pectoralis major muscle rupture (!), while Ilian Evtimov will miss about 4 weeks because of a ligament rupture in his left foot.

woma
09-19-2007, 02:23 PM
This Brian Jones case is indeed interesting. I kind of shocked that he still is a free agent, especially with many coaches prefering pass-first point guards, which was Jones style in last 2 years. So there are 3 options:
1) He is asking for too much money
2) Bremerhaven coaches (starting with Sakalauskas) are saying quite bad things about him, when somebody asks
3) There is something more in this whole situation and we don't have a clue what can it be...

bsgermany
09-19-2007, 04:18 PM
@ Cypher: - why don't you try to find out first what's really behind the Jones case in Bremerhaven? Maybe there was a reason not to continue working with him?? Maybe there is a reason why many clubs don't seeme to be too interested in signing him even this late in the offseason???
Writing a lot of nonsense just because you're frustrated that one of your favorites (B. Jones) is no longer around does'nt make you look too good either.

I am really not a friend of either Sakalauskas or manager Jan Rathjen, but maybe you should try to find out what's behind the Jones-case first, before you keep complaining about the Bremerhaven management

Cypher
09-19-2007, 05:38 PM
As I mentioned earlier - Bremerhavens management has made a lot of, and I'm putting that into very kind words, "questionable" decisions regarding player personell in the past. I mentioned Stein, I mentioned Wilson. Lukas Dawidowski (now Phoenix Hagen, ProA) and Robert Tomaszek probably don't have to say very many positive things about them as well (although I've got to admit, that in the last two cases the players are not exactly innocent for their respective fates).

You're from Braunschweig? Go and ask your new assistant coach Andreas Martin about Bremerhavens policy of contract fulfillment . If he's honest he will tell you some ugly things as well. He had a contract for this season, too. And he had to leave as well. The official statements of why he had to leave are just as ridiculous as in Jones' case.

And I'm not too surprised that Jones doesn't have a new club yet. There are a lot of good players out there, who still don't have a contract for next season. There are always reasonable explanations for that, especially if you get caught off guard by such a situation like in this case.

Anyway... I don't want to turn this thread into my personal "rant off" thread against Rathjen and the Eisbären Bremerhaven. There's too much going on in other places in the BBL, let's focus on Basketball.

bsgermany
09-19-2007, 06:08 PM
Dawidowski didn't get much playing time - a doubtfull decision that you find among most clubs in Germany that keep ignoring their talents in order to use foreign players instead.

Stein may have had a valid contract, but like the case above, it's nowadays a very common procedure (not only in Bremerhaven!!) all over the world to "persuade" players to look for a new place once he doesn't fit into the concept anymore or isn't considered good enough anymore (after moving up into the BBL).

Robert Tomaszek himself had to be blamed a lot for not playing in Bremerhaven anymore (despite the fact that I don't think he's good enough anymore to do so).

As far as Brian Jones is concerned, I can only repeat myself. Go and find out first what really caused this sudden breakup between the management and Jones. Once you did, you may judge differently about it. The official newspaper statement is not always the whole truth.

Finally Marcus Wilson, a case where a lot of rumours kept floating around, without anyone really knowing the whole story. There are always two sides to a coin and the management version may sound completely different, if you would only listen to that side too.

I don't want to start acting like a defender of J. Rathjen or S. Sakalauskas, but your oppinion appears to be a very one sided one, particularly while taking into consideration, that you are not misssing out on any opportunity to attack the management in the club forum - particularly since your favorite B. Jones had to leave.

CoachL
09-26-2007, 02:33 PM
Trier signs Jerome Coleman, last year topscorer in the swedish league and 2 years ago he was guard of the year in Lithuania, as a replacement for the injured Marcus Taylor, who bill be sidelined for about 2-6 weeks. Any opinions about him? I don't really understand why he has only played in minor leagues.

CWILL
09-26-2007, 05:51 PM
Brian Jones found a new club: He will play in Spain for LEB team Lleida.

http://www.lleidabasquet.com/ca/noticies/detall.asp?IdNoticia=2058

Artland Dragons announced the signing of Matt Freije! He will replace Rich Melzer, who is injured won't be back in action until 2008.
Freije signed a contract until december.

Brant Bailey is back in Leverkusen. The forward, who played for the Giants last season signed a new contract for this season.

Meanwhile Paderborn got a replacement for the replacement... ;-)
After Anthony Washington's injury they signed Andrew Naeve as a replacement. But Naeve was sent home and Greg Jenkins, who played CBA last year is the new Big Man in Paderborn.

LuDux
09-26-2007, 06:11 PM
Trier signs Jerome Coleman, last year topscorer in the swedish league and 2 years ago he was guard of the year in Lithuania, as a replacement for the injured Marcus Taylor, who bill be sidelined for about 2-6 weeks. Any opinions about him? I don't really understand why he has only played in minor leagues.

Great shooter (once scored 36p against Lietuvos Rytas 2p-4/4 3p-8/11), started playing PG only after NCAA
http://www.bbl.net/index.php/ZnVzZWFjdGlvbj1wbGF5ZXJzLm1haW4mdD01MCZwPTUxNg==
http://www.lkl.lt/index.php/ZnVzZWFjdGlvbj1wbGF5ZXJzLm1haW4mdD01OSZwPTU0NQ==

He was named guard of year by eurobasket.com

PHILIPeurobasket
09-26-2007, 07:18 PM
Brant Bailey is back in Leverkusen. The forward, who played for the Giants last season signed a new contract for this season.

http://foto.ziolo.eu/photo/view/2003/04/01/2a6dd9c009388c9bafd7fac35bdb5e68.jpg

Bailey play in Polish league, I remember that he was very quick and strong player. He has "elevator" in legs.

woma
10-01-2007, 05:17 PM
During last 3 days I had a chance to see Bayer Leverkusen on "Mazovia Cup" in Warsaw. They clearly don't look anymore as a play-off team. With Fox, Taylor, Bailey and Brempong they still are quite decent inside, but perimeter is much worse. Winters can only produce shooting from spots, McCoy skills are obvious, but he's getting old after so many good years, and it was clear in Warsaw. I like Geib as a PG and energetic play inside of Taylor and Brempong (nickname in Warsaw "Predator"), but Leverkusen is very average these days.
I was also told that Bayer still didn't make an official decision about pulling out from sponsoring the club, for now they only told about the possibility of doing it, but decision is still not done.

Last thing, any rumours in Giessen that they want to get rid of Ed Nelson, or him being not happy there?

Limitless
10-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Last thing, any rumours in Giessen that they want to get rid of Ed Nelson, or him being not happy there?

I havn't heard about them wanting to get rid of him and I know that he is very happy here.

rikhardur
10-03-2007, 07:34 PM
// 03 October 2007

German BBL League champions Brose Baskets Bamberg collected the first title of the new season after beating German Cup holders Koln 99ers 70-51 to win the Champions Cup on Tuesday.

Playing two days before the BBL season tips off, Tim Ohlbrecht paced Bamberg with 12 points off the bench while Darren Fenn and German national team ace Ademola Okulaja each added 10 points.

Koln, who were led by 11 points from Aleksandar Nadjfeji and 10 by Milko Bjelica, held a 35-30 advantage at the break in Bamberg before Sasa Obradovic's team fell apart in the second half.

Bamberg, who are coached by German boss Dirk Bauermann and have four national team players amongst their ranks, woke up after the break and used a 25-8 run to open a 55-43 bulge.

The German champions shot 65% from the field and off-set a 35-19 rebounding deficit by forcing 35 Koln turnovers while committing only 16.

"The games against Koln are always good. This is the first time we lost on the boards with just 19 and still won the game by 19 points," said Bauermann.

"The key to the victory was that we found our rhythm on defense in the second half and had some great play from the bench."

Bamberg start the defense of their crown at home against EWE Baskets Oldenburg on Sunday, while Koln travel to EnBW Ludwigsburg.
http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_lWcd9qadJVkTTFvMFz0Qf1.coid_Kno0TPrBHscJnpfeCg lcP0.articleMode_on.html

CWILL
10-03-2007, 08:17 PM
Cologne has a serious problem on the PG position...
--> Nikagbatse is not the kind of player to control the game, he's more of a streetballer. Surely with a lot of skills, but not good in decision making and organizing.
--> Raivio looks to me like a SG in a PG body. His ballhandling is ok, but he's a pure shooter with very little playmaking skills.
--> Yesterday on BBL Champions Cup, even McElroy was playing on the PG position. Sure, he versatile enough to do so... But what a waste to let him play PG! He is much better as a wing man!

Meanwhile Chad Prewitt signed with EnBw Ludwigsburg! Ludwigsburg looked for a replacement for injured PF Nate Harris. After Charles Bennett could not impress in tryout, they managed to get Prewitt, who played really well for Artland Dragons last year.

Rudy Mbemba's contract with Deutsche Bank Skyliners rests for 2 seasons. Now whatever that means (?!?), after those two years the Skyliners will still own the rights for the swedish talent.
Mbemba was really in Frankfurt's dog house... New coach Murat Didin was not pleased with his working ethics his lack of a constant shot and his problems on decision makining and wanted Rudy to play for one of the farm-teams.
After Pro A team TV Langen refused to let Mbemba join their squad, Rudy was meant to play for MTV Kronberg, a team from Germany's 4th league!
Now Mbemba refused to play there, saying he's much too good to play in such a minor league!
It looks like the Skyliners wanted to get rid of him and Rudy definatley wants to leave too. BUT he still has a contract for 3 more years in Frankfurt!
Greedy manager Gunnar Wöbke wants a certain buy-out rate for Mbemba.
That figure seems to be quite high. Because Gießen and Cologne, who showed interest in august, were not willing to pay that amount.
With the new solution, the Skyliners hope that Mbemba will develop into a possible NBA Draft pick and that they will get all the money from the NBA team that drafts him.
I'm curious where Rudy will end up now...

elaj
10-10-2007, 06:39 PM
Rudy Mbemba returned home to Sweden and signed with Solna Vikings.

CWILL
10-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Curtis Sumpter left Cologne 99ers today.
According to the press release, Sumpter wanted to leave due to family problems.

Billy
10-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Rudy Mbemba returned home to Sweden and signed with Solna Vikings.

The contract with Solna is only for a month, I think Mbemba wants to fluff stats to play at a higher level than Sweden. Lord knows if he will, he was pretty exposed when Solna (who actually won their first game of the season) matched up against Gothia, who played zone.

He got a decent stat line (4 fouls, 3/6 2:s, 2/7 3:s 16 points, 4 def reb. 3 off reb. 2 st, 1 bl, 4 to 2 ass, 29 min) but according to my sources he was pretty ineffective in his foul plagued minutes.

Trifilli
10-16-2007, 07:58 AM
The incredible injury story at Berlin continues: Johannes Herber suffered a cruciate ligament rupture and will be out of action for several months.
I wonder if this is just bad bad luck, or if there's some other reason behind all these severe injuries in Berlin over the past few years.

woma
10-16-2007, 04:04 PM
info by eurobasket.com

Bundesliga-newcomer Science City Jena has fired Adrian Moss (204-C/F-81, agency: Rasmussen Services, college: Florida) and Al Elliott (188-G-79, college: Pace). According to the website of the club both players were going out on Thursday until the early morning and also caused a traffic accident. Jena have already found one new man who is on his way to Germany: Brendan Plavich (188-G-81, college: Charlotte) will be added to the roster. The Jena-officials are also looking for a player to replace Moss. Plavich spent the past two years with Kansas Cagerz (USBL) and averaged 5.5 ppg, 1.3 rpg plus 1.6 apg in 28 games through the 2007 campaign, claiming the USBL-title.

Plavich is crazy, really crazy shooter. He has excellent range on his jumper and always had strong upper body, which allowed him to shoot "out of nowhere", but some of his attempts will make coaches and fans saying "WTF?". And some of them will go in :). Don't see him playing any time as PG.
Eurobball comparison - poor's man Joe Crispin.

robbe
10-16-2007, 10:42 PM
Elliot is no big deal, but losing Moss should hurt. He was easily their best player in these first games. Looked like quite a steal.

Limitless
10-22-2007, 06:05 PM
The Giessen 46ers sign F Brandon Crone to a tryout contract until the end of October. Crone serves as a replacement for injured Tory Walker and spent the last four years playing college ball at Butler University, before joining Mulhouse in France for some weeks.

mktackabery
10-26-2007, 02:47 AM
info by eurobasket.com

Plavich is crazy, really crazy shooter. He has excellent range on his jumper and always had strong upper body, which allowed him to shoot "out of nowhere", but some of his attempts will make coaches and fans saying "WTF?". And some of them will go in :). Don't see him playing any time as PG.
Eurobball comparison - poor's man Joe Crispin.
Plavich is pretty good and will get better and better. Factoid: he went to high school with Ilian Evtimov.

Limitless
10-26-2007, 06:26 PM
And the Giessen 46ers and F Brandon Crone have parted ways already. Today the team was about to decide whether keep Crone and let him play in Sundays game vs. Bremerhaven (and by that giving out one of the 18 players licenses every team has per season) or to let him go. Coach Thorsten Leibenath finally decided to release Crone, who made a good impression in the last days but is a pure SF, while the 46ers are looking for a player who can play the 4 spot as well.

Science City Jena has found its replacement for F/C Adrian Moss. F Mark Davis, who played for five different NBA-Teams after being drafted by the Timberwolves (1995, 2nd round, 48th pick) and who played last in Israel, is supposed to replace Moss, who was fired some days ago.

ArnoldPettybone
10-26-2007, 10:42 PM
If I remember correctly Davis played in Israel over 3 years ago. I guess his new team isn't one of the bbl finest.

Limitless
10-29-2007, 04:30 PM
Yeah, they sure aren't ... ;)

The Giessen 46ers have a new player for a tryout. F Seamus Boxley, last season in the dutch Eredivisie, arrived today and will stay at least till the end of the week.

CWILL
10-29-2007, 10:57 PM
Deutsche Bank Skyliners signed PF/C Antonio Meeking for a try-out phase.
If he manages to pass the medical tests and can impress in practice, he will play his first game on Saturday against Tübingen.
Meeking has already played in Frankfurt in 05/06.
The Skyliners hope that Meeking will help to solve their problems on the center position. Maksym Shtein and Kirsten Zöllner could not satisfy Murat Didin's expectations and didn't get any quality minutes in the first four games.

woma
10-30-2007, 04:58 PM
Deutsche Bank Skyliners signed PF/C Antonio Meeking for a try-out phase.
If he manages to pass the medical tests and can impress in practice, he will play his first game on Saturday against Tübingen.

Really wondering how much he will be weighing :).

Trifilli
11-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Really wondering how much he will be weighing :).

The press release by Frankfurt says 111kg. But these are old numbers most likely, as they were posted when the tryout began. I'm more curious about the question whether he passed the tryout or not. The article on the Skyliners homepage about tonights game puts it as a question in the headline as well:
"With or without Antonio Meeking Saturday Night on BBL Day 7 vs. Tübingen?" (http://www.deutsche-bank-skyliners.de/6865.html)

In the very same article Frankfurts manager Gunnar Wöbke is quoted with the comment that they're in the position (= able) to sign Meeking, but only until December for the moment.

CWILL
11-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Well if my sources are correct, Meeking weights about 5 kg more than 2 years ago. And that makes 116kg.

I think he will play tonight against Tübingen and should get a contract till December.

Edit: Ok, Meeking did not play tonight. The Skyliners still wait for the results of the medical tests.
But I'm pretty sure that they will sign him!

PHILIPeurobasket
11-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Telekom Baskets Bonn - Bayer Leverkusen live at 3PM on www.bet365.com and you can watch this game live :)

Billy
11-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Elliot is no big deal, but losing Moss should hurt. He was easily their best player in these first games. Looked like quite a steal.

Does anyone have info regarding the drunk driving that Moss was involved in?
Was he the driver or simply a passenger?

Cypher
11-11-2007, 09:35 PM
Bremerhaven obviously signed F/C Matt Haryasz to a contract. There's no official press release on this one, but he already played in today 69-70 loss against Alba Berlin. He was released by Italian club Eldo Napoli earlier this week.

hawk
11-11-2007, 11:06 PM
Bremerhaven obviously signed F/C Matt Haryasz to a contract. There's no official press release on this one, but he already played in today 69-70 loss against Alba Berlin. He was released by Italian club Eldo Napoli earlier this week.

He was given on loan by Napoli

Trifilli
11-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Oldenburg signed Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje until the end of the year. (source (http://www.ewe-baskets.de/index-549.php))

Weird stuff imo. BB is a good defensive center (his offense is very limited though), good rebounder, not too expensive for a big man either, and still he could only find a contract like this, not even for the entire season? Weird...

Antonio Meeking looked quite rusty vs. Anwil yesterday, and the Skyliners are still not sure about possibly signing him to a contract. Imho he can't help them much in his current physical shape. On the other hand there are not too many cheap and decent (at the same time) big men on the market, so we'll see...

CWILL
11-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Eisbären Bremerhaven cancelled the contract with Tommy Adams.
Not such a big surprise to me though. I wonder if Rathjen and Sakalauskas really thought that a player like Tommy Adams could change that much. Adams is a great individual player, but he's simply no team player...

Bad scouting in Trier again this year... Robert Jackson and Tim Frost had to leave the club and were replaced with Ex-Skyliner Mike Benton and John Whorton.
The contract of Nowitzki-look-alike Kyle Wilson was cancelled as well. Wilson plays in Austria now.

Old one: Alba Berlin loans Aleksandar Rasic for the rest of the season!

woma
11-18-2007, 08:47 PM
Oldenburg signed Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje until the end of the year. (source (http://www.ewe-baskets.de/index-549.php))

Weird stuff imo. BB is a good defensive center (his offense is very limited though), good rebounder, not too expensive for a big man either, and still he could only find a contract like this, not even for the entire season? Weird...

Antonio Meeking looked quite rusty vs. Anwil yesterday, and the Skyliners are still not sure about possibly signing him to a contract. Imho he can't help them much in his current physical shape. On the other hand there are not too many cheap and decent (at the same time) big men on the market, so we'll see...
Really like B-B signing, still can't understand why team like Olimpija Ljubljana didn't try to sign him...

And with "there are not too many cheap and decent (at the same time) big men on the market" you are very optimistic, since market is empty as... I don't know what, but it's very empty :).

And what a not surprise with Adams being let go by Bremerhaven, some really bad scouting by Sakalauskas and his staff...

PHILIPeurobasket
11-19-2007, 03:45 AM
Ex-Leverkusen Jared Newson will be today in Poland. He will be on few days try-out in Polpak Swiecie. Newson in last BBL season averaged 13.3 points, 5.5 rebounds and 1.2 asssist per game. He was also in BBL All-Star Game, where fight in Slam Dunk tournament.

Do you have anymore info about him :confused:

robbe
11-19-2007, 07:18 AM
Ex-Leverkusen Jared Newson will be today in Poland. He will be on few days try-out in Polpak Swiecie. Newson in last BBL season averaged 13.3 points, 5.5 rebounds and 1.2 asssist per game. He was also in BBL All-Star Game, where fight in Slam Dunk tournament.

Do you have anymore info about him :confused:
> Played at SF in Leverkusen;
> Is an athletic freak; Can throw it down with both grace and power; Having said that, he has probably been the BBLs last 5 years' most spectacular highflyer;
> Does a decent job on the boards;
> Shooting: Not a jumpshooter off the dribble. Not neccessarily a bad shooter on a catch and shoot, but he struggles at times from beyond the arc. You just can't rely on him. His favourite spot is the corner.
> Blossoms in a run and gun style of play. Playing along a point guard that sees the floor well and likes to run gets the best out of him;
> Did a good job for a BBL middle class team that Leverkusen is;
> The BBL comparison was Altron Jackson, who played two years for Bonn before leaving for France (and not making it there);

PHILIPeurobasket
11-19-2007, 02:28 PM
if we talk about Leverkusen you must see this buzzerbeater from Eric Taylor (ex Polonia Warsaw)
http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=3LjLrMCkITo&feature=related

:D

CWILL
11-25-2007, 10:53 AM
According to a newspaper from Frankfurt, the Skyliners sign Ayinde Ubaka.

Ubaka already played in Poland for 2 teams this season. After he didn't make it at Slask Wroclaw, he signed with Czarni Energa Slupsk.
Ubaka will replace injured PG Pascal Roller and SG Jimmy McKinney.

Any thoughts about him, woma or philip?

Edit: Ubaka signed a 2 month conract and played his first game today, adding 2 points and 3 assists to a sensational home game win against Artland Dragons.

Another possible new signing for Frankfurt is C Jamal Sampson, nephew of NBA legend Ralph Sampson.
Jamal Sampson was cut by Dallas a few weeks ago and hasn't found a new NBA team after 5 seasons in the league.
Frankfurt would be his first european team. He is tryout until wednesday and could play in tuesday's uleb-cup game against Nancy.

woma
11-26-2007, 11:08 PM
According to a newspaper from Frankfurt, the Skyliners sign Ayinde Ubaka.

Ubaka already played in Poland for 2 teams this season. After he didn't make it at Slask Wroclaw, he signed with Czarni Energa Slupsk.
Ubaka will replace injured PG Pascal Roller and SG Jimmy McKinney.

Any thoughts about him, woma or philip?

Tough question. He was cut by Slask 48 hours before start of the season, even if he passed a try-out 2 weeks earlier (you know...Urlep, etc...). Then he was signed as a replacement player in Slupsk for 1 month, but was let go after 2 weeks. The coach there is Igor Griszczuk, who's almost excatly in his behaviour like Urlep. So Ubaka didn't have much luck with coaches in Poland.

He had a good NCAA career though and should find his place somewhere in Europe. Not a PG in my book, probably closer to SG/PG kind of player.

woma
12-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Guys - Jamal Sampson is supposed to arrive in Slupsk, to play for Czarni. What was the reason that he didn't pass a try-out in Frankfurt?

DanMajerle
12-04-2007, 02:22 PM
According to a newspaper report Didin said that "Sampson just is not good enough" and the day before he didn't try him out in last week's ULEB Cup's game, Sampson supposedly didn't show effort and wasn't really a social guy.

CWILL
12-05-2007, 08:57 AM
It's really strange that Jamal Sampson had to leave Frankfurt.
To me it looks like Didin didn't want him at all.
After just one jetlag plagued practice, Didin already told the press that Sampson could not really impress him. Not the way you'd expect a coach to talk about a new player...
Coach Didin whined and asked for a competitive Center all season long.
Zöllner is obviously not good enough and Shtein could not show any of his skills so far. According to some press news, Didin targets a Center, who is now playing with a team that has to face financially problems.
Looks like Sampson became a victim of this plan b and was the favorite of the management - but not Didin's...

According to the local press,TBB Trier and Coach Joe Whelton decided to part ways.
Whelton, who signed a new 3-year (?) contract this summer, did a good job in his first years as headcoach in Trier. But the last two seasons were really an example of bad scouting...
Trier signed Yves Defraigne for the rest of the season.

Bad luck for Telekom Baskets Bonn: Winsome Fazier broke his hand and will be out for estimated 8 weeks...

CoachL
12-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Any opinions on Defraigne? Will be interesting to see what he can do with this team. This team is definitely not as bad as they have played so far. This and the past season Joe Whelton did a horrible job coaching this team. His so loved, favourite "Motion Offense" wasn't really existing and the defense got worse and worse. Hopefully there will be some new european flair in Trier's game.

CoachL
12-07-2007, 10:16 AM
According to a local newspaper Bonn is not satisfied with Miah Davis' performance so far. Now they want to put more pressure on Davis and then wait for his reaction.
I guess that he will be released after the game this weekend. Bonn needs a strong new Point Guard in order to reach their aim "playoffs". It will be interesting to see which PG Mike Koch chooses.

robbe
12-08-2007, 07:01 AM
According to a local newspaper Bonn is not satisfied with Miah Davis' performance so far. Now they want to put more pressure on Davis and then wait for his reaction.
I guess that he will be released after the game this weekend. Bonn needs a strong new Point Guard in order to reach their aim "playoffs". It will be interesting to see which PG Mike Koch chooses.
True. They need a SG replacement for Winsome Frazier too though. Building their new arena on their own (the price turns out to be bigger than expected due to various reasons they're not responsible for) has left them with not enough money for replacements on both guard positions. Now you can expect a combo guard here. This might not be the best solution, but there's no money for more than that.

Something different: Luke Jackson, who was, along with 6 billion other highly talented basketball players, rumoured to sign with Brose Baskets, has signed a NBA contract with the Miami Heat. So this is laid on ice for now. I don't expect a signing there in the next days anyway.

Curious to see where Mithat Demirel will finally end up. He recently stated having offers from Germany.

Today features powerhouses Brose Baskets against ALBA Berlin, with the club from the capital coming off that amazing 5-overtimes-victory in the ULEB Cup. This might be a statement game...in different ways.

Limitless
12-08-2007, 09:49 AM
I guess only Berlin would be able the make it a statement game. Bamberg is in the unfortunate position that they have to play against a team that went through five overtimes, so a Berlin loss, even if it's in the range of -15 or so, will be widely seen as a result of the exhaustion ALBA has suffered in the game against Bosna.

So I predict the headlines for the basketball news on Sunday: "Unbeliveable - ALBA wins just ?? hours after crazy-5 OT-game against main rival Bamberg" (if ALBA wins), "What a fight - Berlin players fight to the max in loss vs Bamberg" (if ALBA loses by -5 or so), "Bamberg beats exhausted Berlin" (if Bamberg wins by 15 or more).

And now I'll make my way to Bonn, see if Gießen can take the W even though playing without F Rouven Roessler who is out with a strained thigh.

robbe
12-10-2007, 06:43 AM
You're probably right. And so it happened.

Some news from around the league:

While Bayer Leverkusen's future is highly doubtful (I expect their licence to be sold to some other place, probably Hamburg, which has been flirting with the BBL ever since being relegated back in the nineties), neighbour Cologne 99ers has some big problems to solve now, too.
This club was planning to start building a new arena soon, as their actual home, the EnergyDome, is a rather low standard provisional building, often called "the tent". Simply not enough for a club that has been winning titles ever since coming into the league, and playing international ball. They had to move to Düsseldorf to play Euroleague basketball in 06/07, as "the tent" wouldn't apply to the Euroleague's standards. This was a disaster, as only very few locals attended those games. Now the problem is, that the new arena, due to various reasons, will probably not be build. Whether or not they can move back into the EnergyDome on longterm basis is very much in doubt, as they sold the rights for this place a couple of years ago, and the new owner is said to plan to remove "the tent". Theoretically, the Cologne 99ers could in a couple of years stand there with empty hands and no arena to play in. Hard times for basketball in the Cologne/Leverkusen area.

robbe
12-23-2007, 11:43 AM
I'm not sure whether or not this has already been posted in the ULEB-and Euroleague-Signings-Thread:
- Frankfurt signs Ken Johnson from Fribourg (leads the ULEB Cup in shotblocking with 3.9BPG)
- ALBA Berlin signs Slavko Stefanovic from Mega Aqua Monta Belgrade

hawk
12-23-2007, 02:11 PM
- ALBA Berlin signs Slavko Stefanovic from Mega Aqua Monta Belgrade

Misko Raznatovic's one-man show in signing players this year in Alba keeps going. I bet that the new SF that Alba team needs will belong to him as well. Let's say...Vladimir Petrovic from his farmer team, Mega Ishrana.

Limitless
12-23-2007, 03:34 PM
The Giessen 46ers have released C Ed Nelson and have not extended the contract of PG Patrick Sparks, who was offered another four-week-contract, which he rejected.

robbe
12-26-2007, 07:46 AM
After going 1-8 in the last 9 with a roster that some considered to be a lock for the BBL playoffs, the Walter Tigers finally decided to release Headoach Aaron McCarthy. His successor is still to be found.

Gruebler
12-28-2007, 12:12 PM
Misko Raznatovic's one-man show in signing players this year in Alba keeps going. I bet that the new SF that Alba team needs will belong to him as well. Let's say...Vladimir Petrovic from his farmer team, Mega Ishrana.

You definitely got a point. It's quite obvious that more than half the team are Beobasket-Players... (Jeretin, Rasic, Subotic, Pantic, Nikolic, Dojcin, Stefanovic, Thompson). Damn. Starting to count I realize, that there are only four non-Beobasket players.

Does Alba become Beobasket's UlebCup-Farmteam? German forums start talking of "Beobasket Berlin".

But luckily, Vladimir Petrovic was signed by Anwil...

hawk
12-28-2007, 12:40 PM
You definitely got a point. It's quite obvious that more than half the team are Beobasket-Players... (Jeretin, Rasic, Subotic, Pantic, Nikolic, Dojcin, Stefanovic, Thompson). Damn. Starting to count I realize, that there are only four non-Beobasket players.

Does Alba become Beobasket's UlebCup-Farmteam? German forums start talking of "Beobasket Berlin".

But luckily, Vladimir Petrovic was signed by Anwil...

I knew that Luka will build BeoBerlin cos he did that not only in Hemofarm but also in Panionios where he signed Dojcin-Dragojlovic-Tomovic-Dojcin-Lukovski-Subara and Miljkovic. I hate such tactics. Same happens with Polpak in Poland, too as Uvalin belongs to Beobasket.

elaj
12-28-2007, 12:48 PM
"Balkanska posla", also known as "Balkan business". :D

I bet Uvalin and Pavičević are getting something "under the table" from Beobasket just for making those transfers happen. ;) Not unusual thing to happen in Balkans.

CWILL
12-30-2007, 05:26 PM
After leaving the Gießen 46ers Patrick Sparks signed with Walter Tigers Tübingen. Imho a great signing, great to see Sparks playing in BBL for the remainder of the season.

Meanwhile Brose Baskets Bamberg finally signed a replacement for Luke Schenscher. Kimani Ffriend signed with Bauermann's team and should suit well there.

The red-head returns: Chad Prewitt left Ludwigsburg and re-joined the Artland Dragons. Matt Freije meanwhile leaves Artland.

Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje's contract was extended by EWE Baskets Oldenburg till february 17th.

With only one win and the last position in the ranking Science City Jena signed 3 new players: Former CBA-player Jason Miller, who can play on position 4 and 5, signed with Jena.
Two other players signed try-out contracts: Lavelle Felton, who played for AEK Athen so far and Chaz Carr.
Blake Shelton leaves the club and could join ProA team Chemnitz.

woma
01-01-2008, 05:43 PM
I knew that Luka will build BeoBerlin cos he did that not only in Hemofarm but also in Panionios where he signed Dojcin-Dragojlovic-Tomovic-Dojcin-Lukovski-Subara and Miljkovic. I hate such tactics. Same happens with Polpak in Poland, too as Uvalin belongs to Beobasket.
For me (as a person close to Polpak) I don't consider it as a major problem, especially that I was kind of expecting it too happen. Don't want to get into "under the table money" stuff, but situation with serbian coaches from Beobasket is kind of unique, since Beobasket is having almost total monopoly on serbian players. So if serbian coach wants to get a serbian player, he has to do it through Beobasket in most of the cases.

And now I am wondering how it compares to croatian coaches represented by XL (are there any?), since Jablan has similar monopoly in Croatia.

Can't compare it to Slovenia or any western countries, since there is much more agencies working with players out there...

Joško Poljak Fan
01-02-2008, 01:49 PM
As you said it's hard to compare it with Slovenia, while I didn't get the feeling Jablan would have the same monopoly in Croatia as Beobasket does in Serbia. They're somewhere in between, having some noticable managers on their own (unlike in Slovenia, where practicaly most scouts are working for foreign agencies) while not having the monopoly of Beobasket, at least judging from what people are saying. Although I'd pobably prefer there would be monopol's in Cro and Slo as well... some cases where the manager have choosed instant profitability instead of players development are too disturbing to me, and for a country with small talent pool as Slovenia it can be deadly if going abroad too early would become a rule instead of exception.

interesting discussion though.

Trifilli
01-02-2008, 02:14 PM
The teams for the BBL All-Star day (19/01/2008) have been announced:

North:

Coach: Luka Pavicevic (Alba Berlin)

Starting 5:
G - Bobby Brown (Alba Berlin)
G - Julius Jenkins (Alba Berlin)
F - Jan Rohdewald (Artland Dragons)
F - Aleksandar Nadjfeji (Cologne 99ers)
C - Patrick Femerling (Alba Berlin)

Bench:
G - Tim Black (digibu Baskets Paderborn)
G - Jeb Ivey (BG 74 Göttingen)
G - Rickey Paulding (EWE Baskets Oldenburg)
F - Zygimantas Jonusas (Eisbären Bremerhaven)
F - Andrew Drevo (New Yorker Phantoms Braunschweig)
F - Nate Fox (Bayer Giants Leverkusen)
C - Adam Chubb (Artland Dragons)

South:

Coach: Dirk Bauermann (Brose Baskets Bamberg)

Starting 5:
G - Steffen Hamann (Brose Baskets Bamberg)
G - Demond Greene (Brose Baskets Bamberg)
F - Konrad Wysocki (ratiopharm Ulm)
F - Derrick Allen (Deutsche Bank Skyliners Frankfurt)
C - Darren Fenn (Brose Baskets Bamberg)

Bench:
G - Pascal Roller (Deutsche Bank Skyliners Frankfurt)
G - Brandon Woudstra (Bayer Giants Leverkusen)
G - Alexander Seggelke (Science City Jena)
F - Rouven Roessler (Gießen 46ers)
F - Jason Conley (Telekom Baskets Bonn)
F - Caleb Green (TBB Trier)
C - Rasko Katic (Walter Tigers Tübingen)