PDA

View Full Version : mixed-blood Filipino-arab players

pachador
05-15-2007, 06:36 AM
Since the FIBA-Club champinships is usually in the middle east with mostly middle-eastern teams, I thought I would share some mixed blood Filipino-Arab or Filipino-Muslim basketball players in the Philippines that I can remember with my lebanese and qatari and arab friends:

Rabeh Al Hussaini 6'7" Ateneo university of Manila

Carlo Sharma 6'6" Red Bull PBA team

Mike Hrabak(? not sure) 6'6" Red Bull PBA team

Gerry Samlani 6'5" ex-PBA UTEX team 1980s

Nur JamJam Alfad 6'3" Henkel team in PBL(division 2 commercial league)

Mustapa Khader 6'7" ex-player from Cotabato area 1970s

Yousif Aljamal 6'4" Magnolia PBL team

Assalamu Alaikum !

daniab
05-15-2007, 08:25 AM
Thanks Pachador for those informations.And i want to ask u if this players have the Filippino nationality ??

kerouac82
05-15-2007, 08:29 AM
Thanks Pachador for those informations.And i want to ask u if this players have the Filippino nationality ??

Al-Hussaini and Sharma are half-brothers. Their mom is Filipina. Sharma, I understand, has a father of Indian descent, while Al-Hussaini's father is Kuwaiti. "Hrabak" seems European to me; Slavic, even. Jam Alfad is from Basilan province (which is predominantly Muslim), hence the surname. Aljamal is from Pampanga and doesn't look Arabic to me. Perhaps he is one of those whose parents converted to Islam in the 1970's.

Another Filipino player of Western Asian descent is UST's Dylan Ababou, who was born to a French-Lebanese father and Filipina mother.

pachador
05-15-2007, 02:37 PM
Hi Daniab,

yes, they are all filipino nationality too. there are thousands of iranian, indian , pakistani, lebanese and other arab immigrants in the philippines.

Servinio
05-21-2007, 07:31 PM
MAYBE THOSE in the area could post the latest news, results, statistics, transactions and other information about Filipino Community Leagues in the Middle East in this thread.

In recent years, these leagues have become really competitive as teams have resorted to recruiting former professional and college league stars to beef up their teams.

So whether it be Pinoys in UAE, Qatar, Saudi Arabia or whatever place, let's talk about our Pinoy leagues over there.

Butata
06-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Aljamal is from Pampanga and doesn't look Arabic to me. Perhaps he is one of those whose parents converted to Islam in the 1970's.
Yup, Aljamal also has West Asian blood. His dad is either Syrian or Lebanese, just can't remember. Heard this when he was interviewed over the radio a few years ago.

saints13
06-10-2007, 09:07 PM
wow...very informative :)

I wasn't aware that Rabeh Al Hussaini, Carlo Sharma, Yousif Aljamal have foreign blood. :)

jundakki
06-11-2007, 05:51 PM
A bit of information, Sabah Khoury of Lebanon NT and Asi Taulava are 1st cousins, their mothers are sisters.

saints13
06-12-2007, 12:02 AM
A bit of information, Sabah Khoury of Lebanon NT and Asi Taulava are 1st cousins, their mothers are sisters.

Whhhhhhhhhaaaaaatttttt??? :eek:

is he a naturalized player? I've heard that there are a lot of naturalized player in the Lebanon NT?

how bout Taulava's mom and Khoury's mom sisters, what are their nationalities and their lineage?

jundakki
06-12-2007, 12:55 AM

is he a naturalized player? I've heard that there are a lot of naturalized player in the Lebanon NT?

how bout Taulava's mom and Khoury's mom sisters, what are their nationalities and their lineage?

I heard that Asi's mom is a Fil-Tongan

daniab
06-12-2007, 05:41 AM

Oh my god !!
Dear Saints 13 Sabah khoury Lebanese 100 %,you mean Paul khoury and Paul is half Lebanese and half (don' know) !!
Just Paul khoury is a mixte between 2 countries but he will not play with Lebanon NT,he's 40 years old !!

donmar
06-13-2007, 06:17 AM
Lebanon's Paul Afeaki Khouri is the cousin of Paul Asi Taulava of the Philippines... both related through their mothers

Cool_Enz
06-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Omar Asmad - Played for Philippine Christian University (PCU) some years back. He's based in the Middle East now.

Saleh Yousif - Filipino-Bahraini cager who briefly saw action for San Beda College.

Mujahid Omar Moses Ampatuan - Played for San Sebastian College in last year's NCAA. He's from Cotabato.

El Abdul Hakim Gandarosa Saw action for Adamson University a few years ago.

Ferdinand Ali-Ali - Played for Perpetual Help a few years back. If I remember correctly, hes from Zamboanga. I'm just not sure though if he's Muslim. :cool:

Cool_Enz
07-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Anyway, here are some more Muslim players...

Al-Fidzry Dais - A native of Tawi-Tawi who played for PCU during the time of Bernzon Franco and Lot Soriano. Has a brother also named Al who played with him in the Dolphins varsity.

Ralfy Ibrahim - Pointguard from Zamboanga. Was part of that powerhouse Perpetual Help line-up that included Jojo Manalo, Gilbert Malabanan, Chester Tolomia and Arnel Manalac in 1999-00.

Nizar Kiram - Another player from Zamboanga. Played for St. Francis of Assisi College (SFAC) alongside the De Ocampo brothers and Ervin Sotto. :cool:

b3lowzro
07-05-2007, 04:35 PM
How about streaking shooting 6'2 Bader Malabes of DLSU... I saw him around the campus and according to the school's paper that he's half Filipino and Bahraini. I saw him in a game once he's like a younger and taller version of Ren-Ren Ritualo
________
EXTREME Q VAPORIZER (http://extremevaporizer.info)

aklanarcher
07-07-2007, 12:35 PM
How about streaking shooting 6'2 Bader Malabes of DLSU... I saw him around the campus and according to the school's paper that he's half Filipino and Bahraini. I saw him in a game once he's like a younger and taller version of Ren-Ren Ritualo
He is a shooter but not yet of Ritualo's caliber. I am glad DLSU got him.