Possible F4 host candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible F4 host candidates

Since ULEB adopted the F4 system in 2002 the cities that have organized a F4 are so far 2002 Bologna, 2003 Barcelona, 2004 Tel Aviv, 2005 Moscow, 2006 Prague, 2007 Athens.
    Next year it's Madrid's turn. So Spain will have hosted 2 times, and Italy, Israel, Russia, Czech Rep. and Greece once each. I couldn't help thinking which the next cities after Madrid could be. Cities that could host a F4 either due to an arena or to bball culture. Here are some of possible candidates: Lithuania (either Vilnius or Kaunas), Cologne (huge arena in the heart of Europe), Paris, Rome, Ljubljana, Istanbul(?), Berlin.
    Any thoughts or other suggestions? When will the new Zalgiris arena be ready? What will be the capacity? What about the Olimpija new arena?
    sigpic

The basketball shop.

https://www.interbasket.net/forums/s...-Obradovic-Era

Originally posted by qiangdade
    Since ULEB adopted the F4 system in 2002 the cities that have organized a F4 are so far 2002 Bologna, 2003 Barcelona, 2004 Tel Aviv, 2005 Moscow, 2006 Prague, 2007 Athens.
    Next year it's Madrid's turn. So Spain will have hosted 2 times, and Italy, Israel, Russia, Czech Rep. and Greece once each. I couldn't help thinking which the next cities after Madrid could be. Cities that could host a F4 either due to an arena or to bball culture. Here are some of possible candidates: Lithuania (either Vilnius or Kaunas), Cologne (huge arena in the heart of Europe), Paris, Rome, Ljubljana, Istanbul(?), Berlin.
    Any thoughts or other suggestions? When will the new Zalgiris arena be ready? What will be the capacity? What about the Olimpija new arena?
    Stockholm also has a very good arena and with the Olympics coming up London will have one as well. But that's gonna take a while. However, you forgot a city with a basketball culture and a great arena, Belgrade.
    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Victorious
      Stockholm also has a very good arena and with the Olympics coming up London will have one as well. But that's gonna take a while. However, you forgot a city with a basketball culture and a great arena, Belgrade.
      Luxemburg has a nice 10.000 arena also, but i wouldn't wanna see a F4 held there. It's more than just the arena. Moreover there already is a thread about arenas in Europe. Belgrade would be a nice choice. What is the progress in the following arenas: Anschutz(Berlin), Zagreb(rumored 15-18.000 arena), Ljubljana, Zalgiris?
      sigpic

The basketball shop.

Comment

I remember only one European cup event in Turkey (Saporta cup back in 1997 or so). It would be nice if we host a F4.

I guess France will get one soon, then Germany.
        5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

next will be London. Crystal clear promotion of basketball to unbelievers you know....

Zagiris arena maybe will be ready someday...2046 most probably.

Comment

Taking in account 3 factors (basketball culture of host city, suitable arena, attractivity of host city), i would guess that the next cities to organize the event would be the following in no particular order:

-Cologne (central europe, nice city, huge and modern 20k-seat Kolnarena. Final of nba europe tour was held there)
            -Belgrad (high bball culture, great 20k arena)
            -Vilnius (huge bball culture, 11k Siemens arena)
            -Kaunas (huge bball culture, no info about the arena except that it has to be ready by 2011)
            -Zagreb (high bball culture, no info about the rumored new arena)
            -Ljubljana (high bball culture, no info about the rumored new arena)
            -Berlin (attractive big city, new 20k Anschutz arena)
            -Rome (attractive big city, big Rome arena)
            -Paris (attractive big city, decent arena)
            -Thessaloniki (high bball culture, modern but small arena)
            -Istanbul (attractive big city, not sure about the arenas)
            -London (attractive big city, low bball culture, unfortunatelly can't be ruled out if Abramovich gets his team in the euroleague)

Imo most likely candidates for various reasons are Kaunas, Cologne, London, Belgrade, and Paris
            sigpic

The basketball shop.

Comment

When it comes to Germany, Hamburg might have a chance as well. The Color Line Arena (13.000 capacity for basketball games I think) is smaller than the Cologne arena, but really nice + modern. The arena hosts the german Top4 for the next 5 years (including this one).
              There's no pro team in Hamburg though, which is a huge downside, as the Cologne arena would offer the potential attendance of 3 BBL clubs (Cologne, Bonn, Leverkusen), which are all in really close distance.
              Just a thought in case Germany gets considered.

Comment

I think Uleb should look at the money spent on advertising the tournament- the candidates that wouldn't make a projected investment and effort to make at least 70-80% of people in the country aware of what's going on, should drop out of selection automaticaly.
                That means advertising, delivering loads of information to media without them having to dig for it (which imo is a big concern with bball, since lots of reporters are terribly unimformed, and imo not neccesarily by their fault), aditional tv coverage and so on... I don't think Stockholm or London are willing/able to make such effort so they should be automatically off (or else Jordi's a$$hole should get widened and published on Youtube- that would be a promotion )

-Zagreb (high bball culture, no info about the rumored new arena)
                Cibona might just make a bit effort to make it there in case picked. Arena is supposed to get build on the principle of public-private coorporation for the handball championship in 2009(?) with capacity of 18.000. some pictures of it in NLB league forum.
                Zagreb seems a bit uninterested about bball recently though...

-Ljubljana (high bball culture, no info about the rumored new arena)
                In search for private-public partnership for it... to make it short ()
                Football stadium is supposed to have a priority in Lj. ( imho it's actually as necesarry as a 20.000 exclusively ice hockey arena for Nicaragua, considering the state of football in our capital or hockey in Nicaragua), but just as things with the stadium are getting complicated, the latest things I've heard is that things with arena will get complicated as well...anyway it's supposed to be around 12k capacity eventhough nothing is decided yet and whole thing stinks to heaven (I really don't want to go there ) considering that multipurpose arena is only 2nd in the priority lists, nevermind stadium potentially being filled at 3-4 oppurtunities in a year (actually our soccer NT can't gather 20.000 people either, so it wouldn't even get filled )

otherwise: small market, (imo) lack of hotel accomodation in Lj. without even some firm plans for arena and loads of better options elsewhere, no real question, Ljubljana should be off that list (but still in front of freaking London)

-Berlin (attractive big city, new 20k Anschutz arena)
                Either Berlin or Coln.

-London (attractive big city, low bball culture, unfortunatelly can't be ruled out if Abramovich gets his team in the euroleague)
                This thing with Abramovič was never menioned anywhere, except here... and of course afterwards with several media quoting this ridiciolous news.
                If London would be able to make an effort I wrote above, than yes they can host F4, otherwise they can stick to curling as far as I am concerned.
                London hasn't done a thing for european bball... neither has Jordi, so he doesn't have the right to be offering such a gift to London, considering what such an event means for cities that actually like and possibly created european bball...
                Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
                That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

As I read somewhere mayor of Ljubljana said that they will be interested in hosting Euroleague final 4 "when" (that's the problem) new arena for 10.000 visitors will be build.

Comment

I think Uleb should make selection of F4 more transparent (as many more things than just F4).

I think in the next 3 years both Belgrade and Kaunas/Vilnius should definately get picked, since it's a crime against basketball they never hosted such an event yet (not sure, but as far as I remember Belgrade actually didn't host it yet?)
                    And if Jordi wants devotion he'll get one there... or in Thessaloniki, Istanbul... while in Sweden, Belgium, Netherland, UK and some others he'll get potentially 1% tv ratings, being torn apart by curling/snooker/field hockey/waffel cook show with 10% tv ratings, and with people barely being aware that there is any event there while "devotion" would go off chart if placed in some other cities...
                    and that's no f way to promote basketball as far as I am concerned
                    That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Originally posted by qiangdade

Imo most likely candidates for various reasons are Kaunas, Cologne, London, Belgrade, and Paris
                      The problem with Kaunas is that they don’t have an arena. All right, they are building it....i mean they actually only think about building it. The arena supposedly should be finished until 2011 (before the EC which is to be held in Lithuania). Lately i heard an interview with head of Lith basketball federation (i think it was him, dont remember exactly) who said even if Kaunas arena will not be completed until that time it is not going to be a problem. Which brings a bell to me.....ALERT...Riga Zalgiris here we come.

Kaunas is a small town with now entertainment what so ever, there is no hotels there, they do a have an airport...but nobody flies there. Objectively, i dont think Kaunas is able to handle such an event successfully. But if we are talking about the advertising -then Kaunas is a deal.....100 % of people in Kaunas and whole lithuania would know what's going on, even grandmammas.

Comment

Originally posted by elaj
                        As I read somewhere mayor of Ljubljana said that they will be interested in hosting Euroleague final 4 "when" (that's the problem) new arena for 10.000 visitors will be build.
                        well
                        the president of our bball federation even considers candidating for euro championship with one 10-12k arena and the rest from 3000-5500 ...bed times stories, nicely wrapped just to get some attention.

Naf, who's that in your avatar? Nocioni?

Comment

The reasons why i think that these cities are the biggest candidates the years to come imo:

Kaunas/Vilnius: The most bball frenzy country in the world deserves to host a F4
                          Cologne: I think ULEB tested the capability of a german city and of the specific arena to hold a F4 by holding the final of the nba europe tour there. Also it lies very central and is relativelly easily accesed by fans from all around the continent.
                          London: Huge touristic city. Uleb wants to expand
                          Belgrade: Capital of a huge bball nation. Has the arena to support a F4
                          Paris: Huge touristic city. Has held F4s succesfully in the past

I don't support all of them of course
                          sigpic

The basketball shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Matiz
                            I think Uleb should make selection of F4 more transparent
                            yes, let's make an internet poll i am pretty sure which country is going to win that one...

Matiz @ that's Macas

Comment

Originally posted by NaF
                              Matiz @ that's Macas
                              yes, let's make an internet poll i am pretty sure which country is going to win that one...
                              when we are talking about promotion of the competition, such thing would hit all the headlines in the world ...
                              considering Lithuania would deserve a F4, result of such voting is already known as Vilnius 60%, Tel Aviv 32 % with Barcelona, Madrid, Berlin, Pariz, Istanbul and Athens each sharing one more percent... I'd say when it's time on Lithuania for F4, i'm all the way for this idea... tons of coverage and a completely predictable result

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information