Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chinese prospects for 2007 draft (Yi and Sun Yue)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese prospects for 2007 draft (Yi and Sun Yue)

Yi JianLian (7-0, listed 1987 but...)

Projection: Lottery, how high will depend on workouts

In short: Athletic and mobile 7 footer.

Background:
    1. Both parents were former handball players (father 6-3 tall, mother 5-8)
    2. Picked up basketball later (in 1999 ~age 15) than most kids of his height in China
    3. Apr 2002: Albert Schweitzer Turnier: 15p 6r 2b. Received great reviews despite China's record.
    4. May 2002: MVP of Asian Adidas Camp.
    5. Jul 2002: Sole Asian representative in Adidas ABCD camp. All Star Game: 8p 5r. Scouts started to notice.
    6. Dec 2002: Helped China to reclaim Asian U18 Title
    7. 2003 CBA season: Joined the CBA in mid-season, and was a key player off the bench in the CBA Finals. Named CBA Rookie of the Year: 5.0p 3.3r on 58%FG. Also 2nd in dunk contest.
    8. Jun 2003: Probably the only bright spot for China in World U19 Tournament in Greece: 18.9p 11.5r 1.6b.
    9. Jul 2003: Invited to the Pete Newell Big Man Camp in Las Vegas.
    10. Aug 2003: Signed a 6 year deal with Nike, who just lost Yao to Reebok. The reported contract exceeded his salary.
    11. Sep 2003: Won the National City Games for his hometown Shenzhen, Guangdong. Also won most, if not all of the junior tournaments in China around this time.
    12. 2003-04 CBA: 6th man for champion Guangdong Tigers, 9.7p 5.9r on 51%FG. Selected to the All-Star Game. Named player of the week once. NBA scouts came afar to take notes.
    13. Apr 2004: Started (ahead of Barganani) in the Nike Hoop Summit: 7p 7r
    14. Apr 2004: Dominated the Mannheim Albert Schweitzer Tournament (though true age is over the U18 limit). Ranked #1 in efficiency, rebounds and blocks.
    15. summer 2004: Named to the Senior National Team. Del Harris made him a starter in the Athens Olympic Games, but his performance was not very good.
    16. Aug 2004: Asian U20 Champion.
    17. 2004-05 CBA: key starter for champion Guangdong Tigers: 16.8p 10.2r 1.4a 1.6s 1.4b on 56%FG.
    18. May 2005: Lost to Japan and Korea in East Asian Championship with "U21" teammates.
    19. Sep 2005: Asian Champion.
    20. Oct 2005: Runner-up in the National City Games (top teams are all CBA teams minus imports)
    21. Oct 2005: Lost to Japan to finish 3rd in East Asian Games with "B" squad.
    22. 2005-06 CBA: Finals MVP for champion Guangdong Tigers: 20.5p 9.6r 1.2a 2.0s 1.3b on 57%FG.
    23. summer 2006: Played so-so in the Japan World Championship behind Wang Zhizhi: 6.2p 5.7r 1.3b on 41%FG. Despite the less than impressive statistics, his stocks increased in NBA scouts' eyes. Lots of rebounds and blocks in limited minutes.
    24. Dec 2006: Asian Games champion.
    25. 2006-07 CBA: As the highest paid CBA player with 4-5 different endorsements, expectations were high and Yi for the most part met them: 25.0p 11.5r 1.1a 1.9s 1.8b on 62% shooting. However, Yi will leave China on a painful note: Wang Zhizhi recaptured the CBA crown the first year he came back and dominated Yi in the Finals, which was attended by 6-7 top NBA executives. However, his stock seems unaffected.

Sun Yue (6-9, 1985)

Projection: Late 2nd round to undrafted.

In short: 6-9 point guard.

Background:
    1. Member of a very unique club - Beijing Aoshen Olympian, the supposedly only privately owned basketball club in China. The owner has a deep pocket and his own idea of how to train his youngsters. He would hire imports just to practice with the team so his players can improve.
    2. 2002-03 CBA season: 1.8p 1.2r 0.9a 1.0TO on 37%FG
    3. 2003-04 CBA season: 4.8p 2.6r 1.9a 1.4TO on 38%FG as a key bench player.
    4. Summer 2004: Named to China's U20 team, first player from Aoshen to be called to the national program. Aoshen refused, saying that their own method of training is superior to the National Program's. The national olympic comittee, which also regulates the CBA, cited a previous written agreement and suspended Aoshen for the 2004-05 CBA season.
    5. Fall 2004: Aoshen players continue training in their Beijing compound.
    6. Dec 2004: First public appearance for Aoshen as they toured Taiwan. Sun Yue started and was the best player in the 7 exhibition games against Taiwan's semi-pro SBL teams, smashing every team.
    7. May 2005: With some Aoshen teammates, played in the National Games for Hebei province but were eliminated in group play. However, Jonas Kazlauskas, who was in the stands watching, picked him to the National Team. Aoshen agreed to release Sun Yue to the National Team.
    8. Sep 2005: Asian Champion, becoming a key backup in the National Team.
    9. Oct 2005: Lost to Japan to finish 3rd in East Asian Games with "B" squad.
    10. Oct 2005: Aoshen announces they would leave CBA to join the American ABA.
    11. 2005-06 ABA season: Named to the ABA 2nd team by the league after averaging 9.5p 7.0r 6.7a 1.9s 2.5b 4.3TO on 39%FG. Ranked #2 Minor Leaguer by Sam Amico of probasketballnews.com after many NBA scouts took trips to the tiny community gym in Maywood, CA
    12. Summer 2006: Average showing at the Japan World Championship. Assist to turnover ratio 3rd in the tournament with 4.0.
    13. Dec 2006: Asian Games champion.
    14. 2006-07 ABA season: Named to the ABA 1st team after averaging 13.5p 6.0r 10.5a 1.9s 2.0b 3.8TO on 46%FG and guiding the Aoshen to the ABA Final Four. Ranked #4 Minor Leaguer by Sam Amico.

I will write my opinions later.
    Last edited by sinobball; 05-01-2007, 03:23 PM.
    aim low, score high

I'm not sure what to think about Yi. On the one hand, he's been dominant in CBA play, which is great news. On the other hand, you have to take most of his u19 play with a grain of salt, because I've heard from a lot of people that he's pretty well known as a 22 year old in China, meaning it's no surprise he dominated in those competitions, he was literally a man among boys. I guess whoever takes him has to have faith that CBA competition is at least as good as some of the top NCAA teams.

I remember when Yao entered his name that there were concerns as to whether China would allow him to actually go to the NBA if he was selected by a team in a small market or without a big Chinese American population. Is this the case with Yi, or are they just hoping he makes the jump, regardless of where?

Comment

Yao's coming over created a big phenomenom and was/is a real boost for basketball in China. I may be wrong, but I don't think it wll be such an issue where Yi goes, as long as he can get some decent playing time, right away. Am I correct in assuming this, Sinobball?

Comment

Whoa, great post Sino... very comprehensive, man.

Stuart
        http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
        http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
        http://www.interbasket.net

Comment

Yi Jianlian real potential?

Hey guys this is my first post!!

Ok, back to the main topic. Been hearing lots of hype about this 6-11 chinese dude Yi Jianlian. Even saw a highlight of his dunk in the nba tv top plays of the week. But my questions is, is he overated? I mean the competition he faces in china aren't exactly top knotch (I've watched a few of their games and basically there's like no physical D). On top of that he hasn't exactly 'dominated' the league like Yao did and was even outplayed by ex-NBA verteran Wang-zhi-zhi in their CBA finals (haha, i donno if i spelt that correctly).

What do you guys think?

Comment

Yi

Yi has the physical tools to play in the NBA even if he is 22 (1985) and not 20(1987) which everyone agrees with. It is hard to gauge his ability based on Chinese league games because the competition is so poor. However he has played some international matches and has played ok.

Some teams will love him and he will be drafted in the top 10. I would rate him however more in the 15-25 range of players in this years NBA draft.

Wang Zi Zi is a good example although not physically talented like Yi. Wang had not post game and was scared by the physical nature of the NBA. Although I don't believe Yi will be such an extreme case, he will struggle will the changes in game from China to the NBA. I think if he can adjust he can play in the NBA, the chances of him being a superstar I believe are not that great. However it really depends on how bad he wants it and how he deals with the change in style. If he works at it who knows?
            He isn't as talented as Yao, but he has better physical skills.
            I would rate him lower than Al Hortford and Jochim Noah.

Comment

sure he will after 2 years in NBA. not a in the caliber of Yao but he will be an strater i think

Comment

Sooooo over rated and doesnt deserve playing in the NBA Wang zhi zhi is way better than him and coudlnt make it in the NBA. better to stay home and play against teams with his level...asian players arnt physically talented...and no asian player made any good impression or an impact overseas..with the exception of Yao since he is phenomenal.
                Last edited by WIZARD; 05-15-2007, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WIZARD
                  Sooooo over rated and doesnt deserve playing in the NBA Wang zhi zhi is way better than him and coudlnt make it in the NBA. better to stay home and play against team with his level...asian players arnt physically talented...and no asian player made any good impression or an impact overseas..with the excepting of Yao since he is phenomenal.
                  Well, Yi is still very young, you're comparing one of the best chinese players to a prospect -- which is what the NBA draft is all about-- potential.

Stuart
                  http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
                  http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
                  http://www.interbasket.net

Comment

Originally posted by stuart
                    Well, Yi is still very young, you're comparing one of the best chinese players to a prospect -- which is what the NBA draft is all about-- potential.

Stuart
                    Well ok you have a point here..its all about potential, but dude frankly i cant see any asian player making a good impact in the US, the asian players arnt physically aggressive.
                    Last edited by sinobball; 06-18-2007, 07:16 PM.

Comment

yea i think there's a certain lack of 'aggresive' factor in the cba compared to other major leagues like the nba or euroleague. however i think yi jianlian has shown flashes of 'hunger' though as demonstrated by his willingness to go for strong finishes around the rim n not do layup shots like yao

Comment

wots the real age of yi jianlian?

Comment

i think somewhere between 19-22 though I do think he is 19 despite of all those consipiracies regarding his true age ~

Comment

seems elder

Comment

Where is Sun Yue?
                              THE BEST KEPT SECRET
                              -BALL TIL i FALL-

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information