PDA

View Full Version : Dirk won't miss Eurobasket 2007

rikhardur
04-19-2007, 07:29 PM
The president of the German federation, Ingo Weiss, has confirmed that Dirk will play at this year's Eurobasket. He said that Dirk will be delighted to once again wear the German jersey, promising to play for the NT.
Not a surprise really (we know how Dirk is), but still nice to know ;)

On another note:

DALLAS (NBA) - Dallas Mavericks and Germany superstar Dirk Nowitzki admits he is a natural pessimist - but is nevertheless upbeat about the prospect of slaying the demons of last season's NBA Finals demise against the Miami Heat.

The Mavericks start the 2007 play-offs on Sunday as the top seeds in the West at home against the Golden State Warriors.

When asked if he thinks his club is heading for the NBA title, Nowitzki said in an interview in the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung: "I am a perfect case of a pessimist. It's unbelievable. I get that from my mom, she's the same way.

"When I have a bad game I think I'm the worst player in the world and put myself under pressure with 300 penalty shots the next morning at practice."

Nowitzki knows his team must remain focused on the play-offs, which is like "a season within a season".

"Some teams can just have a good run and knock you out unexpectedly. If we lose after all the great results so far, then the whole season is over and none of those victories helped you."

He added that getting through the West again is likely to be a bigger challenge than the Finals.

"If you think about how much strength and energy and luck we needed to get to the Finals -
unbelievable. Seven hard games against San Antonio, six against Phoenix. And those will be the tough ones again in our own Western Conference.

"The opponents in the Finals, whoever comes from the Eastern Conference, will surely not be the most difficult opponent."

Despite losing to Miami 4-2 after a 2-0 series lead, Nowitzki knows he still has plenty of opportunities to win at 28 years of age.

"The club wanted to bring in a mental coach. But I'm not a psycho case. I don't need anything like that. At nearly 29 I may be going on 30, but the Finals against Miami was not my last chance. I'm not 35. I feel young and at the peak of my abilities."

But he added: "One thing is clear: If I never reach another NBA Finals and win it, then all this will follow me the rest of my life - whether I like it or not."

When asked to choose between an NBA title or competing with Germany at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, Nowitzki said: "That's a tough question for me to answer. Dallas is my employer, so from that aspect I would probably say the title.

"But at the latest this summer with the German national team, I will probably see things differently."
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/langid/1/newsid/18801/arti.html

Joško Poljak Fan
04-19-2007, 08:44 PM
:mad: damn... :mad:

:o:D:p

Jan van Grabski
04-19-2007, 08:49 PM
those are very sad news, very sad indeed.....i once again will write a letter to Lithuanian basketball federation asking to naturalise Dirk. :rolleyes:

seriously, i am very happy...EC with Dirk is much more enjoyable.

ArkadiosV2
04-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Good. Nice to see quality players joining.

Victorious
04-19-2007, 09:36 PM
You just gotta respect that guy.

Nemesis 11 (aka Sabas 11)
04-20-2007, 10:10 AM
He's not a pessimist. That's a German thing. They are all kinda modest...most of them. He is the best role model for a European kid who wants to play basketball! Plays hard in the NBA but still comes home to play for his country. Stojakovic, Vujacic, Brezec, Tsakalidis and Radmanovic...forget about it. :mad: Need more like him. He just needs a title bad. Hope he gets it this summer.

german
04-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Dirk has one dream. Peking 2008!!
For this dream he will fight this summer and i think he have to fight in next summer too (with no success :rolleyes:) In 2009 he will not play the EM. (he need a pause after 7 summers in the row) And 2011 he is 33...

Trifilli
04-20-2007, 10:58 AM
I really hope that he'll win the NBA title this year. He deserves a title and winning one with the NT seems to be out of reach. It's great that he still comes to play for Germany every summer and one can only hope that his dream to play in Peking will come true.

DanMajerle
04-20-2007, 09:18 PM
Well, it would be better for Germany if Dallas gets eliminated in First Round. Dirk was tired last summer and will be tired this summer, altough the motivation will be higher for him this year. He said very often that taking part in Olympic Games is the biggest thing he can reach as a basketball player (well, of course he cannot say it directly to NBA media;)) and I think he'll do everything to reach this goal. Hopehe doesn't get injured.

Trifilli
04-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Yeah, you're right with that. However I still hope that he wins the NBA title this season, because he deserves a title and I can't see him winning one with the NT any more. Taking part in the Olympic Games is certainly a big goal for him, but he also has to consider how many chances he'll have in his career to win a title. Imo it's time for him to finally win one now.

qiangdade
04-22-2007, 04:23 PM
those are very sad news, very sad indeed.....i once again will write a letter to Lithuanian basketball federation asking to naturalise Dirk. :rolleyes:

Dirkas Nowitzkis?:rolleyes: :D

DanMajerle
05-04-2007, 06:44 AM
Well, it would be better for Germany if Dallas gets eliminated in First Round. Dirk was tired last summer and will be tired this summer, altough the motivation will be higher for him this year. He said very often that taking part in Olympic Games is the biggest thing he can reach as a basketball player (well, of course he cannot say it directly to NBA media;)) and I think he'll do everything to reach this goal. Hopehe doesn't get injured.

Ok guys, I'm the one responsible for Dallas getting eliminated:D .
Good for Dirk's fitness, hopefully he will be even more motivated now and hopefully Cuban will allow him to play for Germany after the First Round elimination.
And hopefully we will see a highly motivated, no more tired European NBA MVP at Eurobasket.
Then better watch out.

Picek
05-04-2007, 06:57 AM
Then better watch out.watch out for what?
he can't win games all alone, hell he can't win games with Terry, and Howard by his side how do you expect him to win games with Hamman and the rest of mediocre german players?
I don't want to offend anyone but truth of the matter is that the rest of the german squad is mediocre to say atleast..

DanMajerle
05-04-2007, 07:01 AM
Of course he can win games with Hamann and rest at his side, see Eurobasket 01,05, World Championships 02.
The main factor why he didn't play so good at WC was because he was tired in his head and body, he's playing nine years in a row for his NT and it's the first time since 01 that he get's a little more time to rest.
Talent doesn't win games, good teams do.

rikhardur
05-04-2007, 07:13 AM
Ok guys, I'm the one responsible for Dallas getting eliminated:D .
Good for Dirk's fitness, hopefully he will be even more motivated now
Indeed, it's the positive thing of the Mavs getting eliminated in the first round. He'll be better prepared to play at Eurobasket.

Makandal
05-05-2007, 10:40 PM
I hope he plays better au the Eurobasket than he did at the NBA playoff

rikhardur
05-05-2007, 11:10 PM
I hope he plays better au the Eurobasket than he did at the NBA playoff
So do I :)
Welcome to the forum btw.