Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Herrmann will miss FIBA Americas Tournament (ARG)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herrmann will miss FIBA Americas Tournament (ARG)

Walter joins Manu, Oberto in skipping the tournament: link

Herrmann blow for Argentina's FIBA Americas hopes
    CHARLOTTE (FIBA Americas Championship) - Argentina's Walter Herrmann is almost certain to miss the FIBA Americas Championship in Las Vegas after revealing his NBA team, the Charlotte Bobcats, advised him to skip the event.

Herrmann told the Spanish-language newspaper in Charlotte, Mi Gente: "We haven't made the definitive decision to tell this to Argentinian press, but I will not play at the Championship.

"I've been talking to [Argentina coach] Sergio Hernandez and it is very probable that I will not go.

"The main reason is the injury I had due to stress last pre-season.

"The club blamed the national team and advised me not to join them and to rest for a period."

The 6ft 9in forward, a reserve in Argentina's gold-medal winning Olympic team in 2004 and last year at the FIBA World Championship, has been a revelation this season in the United States.

He was an important player for Unicaja Malaga in their ACB-winning side last year but played very little in the first four months of this NBA campaign.

However, with injuries mounting in Charlotte, coach Bernie Bickerstaff inserted him into the starting line-up in March and he excelled, capturing the Eastern Conference Rookie of the Month award.

The 27-year-old Herrmann acknowledged that uncertainty over his NBA future is also a factor.

"My contract [with the Bobcats] runs to until June 30," he said.

"I don't know what will happen then. And I cannot leave the national team waiting to know if I am going or not until the last minute.

"Perhaps Charlotte want me to play the Summer League or maybe they decide not to renew my contract and I also have to play a Summer League to be signed by another club, like last year.

"If I didn't have these problems, I'd love to go."

His absence is the last thing national team coach Sergio Hernandez will have wanted as San Antonio Spurs duo Manu Ginobili and Fabricio Oberto, and Chicago Bulls forward Andres Nocioni, are also uncertain.
    http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
    http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
    http://www.interbasket.net

his contract situation should not worry him. Charlotte will DEFINETELY pick up his option for next year.

Comment

Yesterday it was revealed that Herrmann has decided to retire from NT. He said that he doesn't enjoy playing that much, so it's more like a job for him.

So, Walter, thanks for the memories (especially the Greece game in 2004), and thanks for the honesty.

Comment

Originally posted by alermac
        Yesterday it was revealed that Herrmann has decided to retire from NT. He said that he doesn't enjoy playing that much, so it's more like a job for him.

So, Walter, thanks for the memories (especially the Greece game in 2004), and thanks for the honesty.
        That's surprising to say the least. I don't get it
        Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
        Artificial Nature

Comment

I read an article on him saying that he lost a part of his love for the game when members of his family died in a road accident, so, that's not a big surprise he considers the NT as a job... That's a big loss for Argentina.
          It's a bird? It's a plane? No, it's Rudy!

Comment

Working...
          X

Debug Information