PDA

View Full Version : Day 5 Group B: Lithuania - Croatia

judasmartel
08-14-2016, 05:20 AM
Battle between two traditional European basketball powers.

Potential tanking scenario for Croatia if Argentina and Brazil wins the first two games as the 3rd seed in Group B avoids the US until the final, while the 2nd seed faces the US in the semifinals.

Anyone here in favor of reseeding for the next Olympic Games? In reseeding, the higher seeds from each bracket are paired against the lower seeds from the other bracket. i think this system will eliminate tanking entirely.

Shawshank
08-14-2016, 08:26 AM
We always beating Croatia i mean always...i dont remember a single lost starting from 1992 qualification tournament and we played like 7-8 games in official tournaments.This generations players have met in eurobasket2013 semifinal...But what happend yesterday i dont know what to say...

it could easily repeat what happend with Petrovics bosnians in eurobasket 2013 last group game...Croatian player already said in press: they will give everything they have,because lost meant playing Usa in 1/4...

Dreamcatcher
08-14-2016, 01:49 PM
Our frontcourt is so much stronger on paper, but JV playing so bad in this tournament. I also don't remember us loosing to Chroatia. Anything happens, Bogdanovic may score 30 pts, but we should take this...

Picek
08-14-2016, 02:42 PM
I also don't remember us loosing to Chroatia. .
not counting friendlies or?

Mindozas
08-14-2016, 02:50 PM
not counting friendlies or?

Not counting of course. Friendlies are friendlies. But I also don't see historical h2h as somekind of advantage. Players are changing, coaches are changing, whole generations are changing. Even since last official game in 2013, both teams changed half of their roster or even more

Picek
08-14-2016, 02:59 PM
Not counting of course. Friendlies are friendlies. But I also don't see historical h2h as somekind of advantage. Players are changing, coaches are changing, whole generations are changing. Even since last official game in 2013, both teams changed half of their roster or even moreI agree of course, I was just waiting to troll with that friendly from last year.. :p

quality wise, Lithuania is deeper but we have our advantages. at least I hope we do.
a lot will depend on how will teams recover after yesterdays fiasco.
as big blow our L was yesterday, a huge loss to Spain was also a thing that can mess your head even if the loss itself was irrelevant.
who will recover better?

Hepcat
08-14-2016, 06:39 PM
Lithuania is 9-1 in official games versus Croatia. Croatia won a qualifying game for Eurobasket back in the late nineties.

All of that though is entirely irrelevant. Tomorrow is a new day and the score starts at 0-0.

All we know right now is that Croatia was handled yesterday by a team it should have beaten and that Lithuania absolutely didn't show up for a game and suffered its worse loss ever in international play. So fuck, what a way for the two teams to come into an important game.

:mad:

Picek
08-14-2016, 07:01 PM
don't worry.
if JV won't shine against our frontcourt then he never will.

Straight forward
08-14-2016, 07:08 PM
Good game. Competitive. Can go both ways, but Lithuania is favourite. Maciulis' defence will be a key of the game.

I think JV should come down to the earth. Most of all I think it's attitude issues. After nearly amazing playoffs run he obviously had a bad time trying to stay on the earth, on the floor if you want. If he can't get down to the earth - Kazlauskas should give a hand to him. And I hate how Kazlauskas being too soft on JV, I can tolerate overusing and overtrusting Maciulis in some games not in favour for Lithuania and Kuzminskas' abilities, but JV is still a kid at the end of the day. There were too many minutes already when JV had to be on the bench because of being really bad. Kazlaskas will wake up eventually as well - it's not like Lithuania can't play without JV. Or JV will wake up himself.

Mindozas
08-14-2016, 07:50 PM
Good game. Competitive. Can go both ways, but Lithuania is favourite. Maciulis' defence will be a key of the game.

I think JV should come down to the earth. Most of all I think it's attitude issues. After nearly amazing playoffs run he obviously had a bad time trying to stay on the earth, on the floor if you want. If he can't get down to the earth - Kazlauskas should give a hand to him. And I hate how Kazlauskas being too soft on JV, I can tolerate overusing and overtrusting Maciulis in some games not in favour for Lithuania and Kuzminskas' abilities, but JV is still a kid at the end of the day. There were too many minutes already when JV had to be on the bench because of being really bad. Kazlaskas will wake up eventually as well - it's not like Lithuania can't play without JV. Or JV will wake up himself.

You mean JV is cocky? Don't think so. I'm not some fanboy of him and goin' to look for cheap excuses, but he obviously is under huge pressure and can't deal with it for now, especially when few games went wrong. It's Olympics afterall too, not everyone can cope with it. Look at his body language, reactions, silly mistakes, easiest shots missed, it's not usual JV. Moreover it's not easy to be a leader, when whole season you are forced to be some guy behind few ballhogs. He needs to clear his head first of all and have a good game finally, Croatian frontourt is kinda soft, so if not now, it might be too late later

Hepcat
08-14-2016, 09:05 PM
You mean JV is cocky? Don't think so. I'm not some fanboy of him and goin' to look for cheap excuses, but he obviously is under huge pressure and can't deal with it for now, especially when few games went wrong. It's Olympics afterall too, not everyone can cope with it.

I agree. He's certainly not cocky. He's just crumbling under all the pressure. Hopefully Coach Kazlauskas knows how to handle such situations. I certainly don't.

:confused:

Straight forward
08-14-2016, 09:32 PM
You mean JV is cocky? Don't think so. I'm not some fanboy of him and goin' to look for cheap excuses, but he obviously is under huge pressure and can't deal with it for now, especially when few games went wrong. It's Olympics afterall too, not everyone can cope with it. Look at his body language, reactions, silly mistakes, easiest shots missed, it's not usual JV. Moreover it's not easy to be a leader, when whole season you are forced to be some guy behind few ballhogs. He needs to clear his head first of all and have a good game finally, Croatian frontourt is kinda soft, so if not now, it might be too late later

No, not cocky, even though it's a little bit of that as well, but more like overrating his abilities, underrating opponents, imagining that he can overpower all defenders (the same naive idea that didn't work in 2013 and I didn't expect to see him playing like this again). He's playing too primitive offence, doesn't use those little things that he added last summer, like spin moves, a bit of face up game, most importantly trying to move, to be flexible and agile instead of pretending to be a mountain man, lumberjack. Also he still is very unwilling passer. Off course, a bad first games playing games with his confidence and opponents go extremely hard on him, but that's not the problem as he usually is able to bounce back, I doubt he's overstressed. The problem is that he somehow too stubborn to admit that only mixture of agility and power game can make him successful. He seems not be focused and not ready to work hard for every spot on the court and to be patient with details of the game. Kazlauskas said hat he just trying to throw punches back to his opponents instead of playing. He's not in his own skin. He must be humble, concentrated and vigilant as hunting wolf, and that's JV of the NBA playoffs, he was controlling every spot of his territory and looked like most focused Raptor in the first round. Off course, it's different role and environment, but I have a feeling JV expected easier life in OG games than NBA playoffs and he sort wants just to crash opponents, but that's just not happening. It's not like he wasn't the key player last year and opponents didn't pay attention to him. He just played smarter, didn't force things, played his game. Now he's forcing things and gives too much love for power game. He's not that tough.

thegreekmeister
08-14-2016, 10:56 PM
For Lithuania it is either 1st or 3d spot, does not matter much (3d may even be better), so it won't be "do or die" mentality once again. I may even pass the game (4:30 am) due to the fact that win is not that important (except pshychologically maybe)/

Straight forward
08-14-2016, 11:00 PM
For Lithuania it is either 1st or 3d spot, does not matter much (3d may even be better), so it won't be "do or die" mentality once again. I may even pass the game (4:30 am) due to the fact that win is not that important (except pshychologically maybe)/

It's not do or die game, but surely important because Lithuania wants to end 1 in the the group. And even more importantly, losing 2 games in a row would surely harm team's mentality and not the thing you want before 4finals. Also 1 place would probably mean Serbia and Serbia is still better opponent than France for example, maybe even better than Australia. I surely don't want France because it's a bad matchup for Lithuania and I think it's still second best team of group A.

thegreekmeister
08-15-2016, 12:19 AM
It's not do or die game, but surely important because Lithuania wants to end 1 in the the group. And even more importantly, losing 2 games in a row would surely harm team's mentality and not the thing you want before 4finals. Also 1 place would probably mean Serbia and Serbia is still better opponent than France for example, maybe even better than Australia. I surely don't want France because it's a bad matchup for Lithuania and I think it's still second best team of group A.

France? It is either Serbia or Australia. Not sure which is better, Serbians have more experience for serious knockout games, Australia's miracle might be over.

I am not sure if 1st spot is better than the third, and I am not sure if the team thinks that as well. So not sure where you coming from "wants to end 1st" (except, maybe polite public statements.
It may also depend on who would take 1st in our group - potential semi final opponent.
Our game will be the last, so lets see :)

Straight forward
08-15-2016, 06:30 AM
France? It is either Serbia or Australia. Not sure which is better, Serbians have more experience for serious knockout games, Australia's miracle might be over.

I am not sure if 1st spot is better than the third, and I am not sure if the team thinks that as well. So not sure where you coming from "wants to end 1st" (except, maybe polite public statements.
It may also depend on who would take 1st in our group - potential semi final opponent.
Our game will be the last, so lets see :)

You kidding me right? I can assure you - there's no fucking way Lithuania would tank the game against Croatia and it didn't against Spain. They just played like crap, that's it. Lithuania just never plays those games. Let alone trying to project semifinal opponent. It would be great achievement already to reach semis again, that would mean 2 opportunities fighting for the medals.

Italian Pride
08-15-2016, 09:51 AM
don't worry.
if JV won't shine against our frontcourt then he never will.

Planinic can do a good job against JV,don't you think?

i apologize with lithuanians friends,but i hope Croatia win this one !

CoachZ
08-15-2016, 09:53 AM

i apologize with lithuanians friends,but i hope Croatia win this one !

If he plays the way he has played so far, Sakic will dominate him :D :D :D

Dreamcatcher
08-15-2016, 10:02 AM
You kidding me right? I can assure you - there's no fucking way Lithuania would tank the game against Croatia and it didn't against Spain. They just played like crap, that's it. Lithuania just never plays those games. Let alone trying to project semifinal opponent. It would be great achievement already to reach semis again, that would mean 2 opportunities fighting for the medals.

So much time for Kariniauskas (Juskevicius as well) means that game wasn't very important for us. I don't know if i means "to tank" though, but the game wasn't do or die for sure.

Italian Pride
08-15-2016, 10:07 AM
If he plays the way he has played so far, Sakic will dominate him :D :D :D

:D

i hope to see few mnutes Arapovic on the court against Sabonis!

Picek
08-15-2016, 10:07 AM

i apologize with lithuanians friends,but i hope Croatia win this one !Planinić did play some good games this summer against opponent centers but our problem is that Aco is starting with Bilan and he is playing him way too much.
especially since Planinić can get into foul trouble, mostly with offensive fouls he is doing while screening..
he is moving in his blocks too much.
and in those 15-20 minutes Bilan will play, JV will have a party.

i hope to see few mnutes Arapovic on the court against Sabonis!highly unlikely.

we beat Italy, Greece, Spain, Brasil this summer.
lost to Argentina and Nigeria.
goal of our federation is for this team to peak in years to come, especially on Tokyo olympics (first we have to get there though).
regardless of how we do tonight it was a great summer.

Straight forward
08-15-2016, 11:50 AM
Where's Croatian fans by the way? I see Picek, but I expected a flood of their fans here along with recent success of NT...

CoachZ
08-15-2016, 11:57 AM
I will be cheering for Lithuania. Not because I don't like Croatia (I actually cheer for all Ex-Yu teams when they play others except Serbia), but since I would rather play them in 1/4 than a revamped Spain. If they get hot like they often can. With that Demolition, Spain is going to be first if they beat Argentina, and Lith losses.

Ideally the scenario would be Croatia wins and Argentina wins, then we get them. That is not gonna happen, can't see two upsets happening that easy.

Mindozas
08-15-2016, 12:15 PM
I will be cheering for Lithuania. Not because I don't like Croatia (I actually cheer for all Ex-Yu teams when they play others except Serbia), but since I would rather play them in 1/4 than a revamped Spain. If they get hot like they often can. With that Demolition, Spain is going to be first if they beat Argentina, and Lith losses.

Actually Spain has no chances to be first, if they'll win and Croatia too, it'll be 4-way tie:

1. Croatia 2-1
2. Spain 2-1
3. Lithuania 1-2
4. Argentina 1-2

And according to FIBA rules, not overall points difference will decide who is 1-2 or 3-4 in this case, but again h2h games between teams in question, so since Croatia beat Spain, they will be 1st

Straight forward
08-15-2016, 12:35 PM
No disrespect to Croatia, but in that case Serbia would get the best opponent for 4finals. Even if Croatia is dangerous and playing good basketball this summer, it's still a team which hasn't stepped on the podium for decades and Spain, Argentina, Lithuania are among most consistent performers and ultimate knock out stage veterans.

PS: I had to go back to EB 2013 semifinal to see who was guarding Bogdanovič when Mačiulis was resting. Obviously it was Kuzminskas. Defence against Bogdanovic is a key moment. Simon and Saric can do a lot of damage, but only Bogdanovic can kill Lithuania playing A game.

PS2: Croatia's rotation is not too deep and the summer was long. Maybe their getting tired tired already? Haven't seen the game against Nigeria, but that could be one of the reasons why they lost.

miloje
08-15-2016, 02:39 PM
i remember Kleiza destroyed us in that game

Italian Pride
08-15-2016, 02:51 PM
highly unlikely.

Why not?I think Arapovic can play against him!

CoachZ
08-15-2016, 02:58 PM
No disrespect to Croatia, but in that case Serbia would get the best opponent for 4finals. Even if Croatia is dangerous and playing good basketball this summer, it's still a team which hasn't stepped on the podium for decades and Spain, Argentina, Lithuania are among most consistent performers and ultimate knock out stage veterans.

PS: I had to go back to EB 2013 semifinal to see who was guarding Bogdanovič when Mačiulis was resting. Obviously it was Kuzminskas. Defence against Bogdanovic is a key moment. Simon and Saric can do a lot of damage, but only Bogdanovic can kill Lithuania playing A game.

PS2: Croatia's rotation is not too deep and the summer was long. Maybe their getting tired tired already? Haven't seen the game against Nigeria, but that could be one of the reasons why they lost.

I think there is no way they are getting tired. They are an extremely young team and pretty much everyone except Simon can run all day. That will not be the issue with them. The key is to break their ball pressure and matchup zone, if you do that in the first 10 minutes of the game, it will be a much more manageable game. They try different zones schemes, they try to gang rebound and be aggressive in the passing lanes.

If you can penetrate the zone and stretch it well, you should win. Regardless whether Bogdanovic scores 30...

Hepcat
08-15-2016, 03:39 PM
So much time for Kariniauskas (Juskevicius as well) means that game wasn't very important for us. I don't know if i means "to tank" though, but the game wasn't do or die for sure.

Irrelevant! The 109-59 score is set in stone regardless and now goes into the record book.

:mad:

LDK
08-15-2016, 04:24 PM
Both teams will be extremally motivated. If Croatia looses they will get USA at 1/4. If we loose we will get Australia. Everybody knows how we struggling against such athletic teams like France, Australia or Nigeria. Serbia is better opponent for us.

If JV choke again I will be verry sad. Bilan and Planinic is a joke comparing with him... Pitbull Maciulis will do his best against Bogda. I hope we will see a lot of Maciulis + Kuzminskas, because Kuzia could deffend Saric I think :)

pohani komarac
08-15-2016, 04:26 PM
Why not?I think Arapovic can play against him!

He did not play single second in Olympics and Qualifications. Aco Petrovic gave advantage to Sakic despite Marko proved being able to play in EL already. Aco never had balls to give minutes to young players

Straight forward
08-15-2016, 06:50 PM
Oh, boy, seems like Argentina accuses Lithuania and Croatia for agreement of the winner...Just nice...

If that's true, fuck Argentinians. That's straight insult. They could win against Lithuania instead of complaining...

miloje
08-15-2016, 07:02 PM
Oh, boy, seems like Argentina accuses Lithuania and Croatia for agreement of the winner...Just nice...

If that's true, fuck Argentinians. That's straight insult. They could win against Lithuania instead of complaining...

where did you get that? i didnt hear nothing

Shawshank
08-15-2016, 07:05 PM
And argentinias didnt even played their own game...beat spain and dont care how other games finishes right? So they before the game accusing others without any evidence because already loosing themselfs before even started playing? It seems its argentina who is playing dirty tricks not only on the court outside also...

Same shit happen in venezuala 2012...those panamericans are strange people and see conspiracys everywhere...today lietuva will play hard because they got alot of bad words in our coutry for not even fighting...they will show up to play tonight believe me.

Straight forward
08-15-2016, 07:06 PM
where did you get that? i didnt hear nothing

http://masdeporte.as.com/masdeporte/2016/08/14/juegosolimpicos/1471202612_831983.html

Lith media probably just made it look worse. Argentinians just want to make sure there's no deals I guess...

Plus, loser Geivis Vasquez accuses Lithuania for losing against Nigeria in OQT 2012 :p

Svajunas
08-15-2016, 08:01 PM

it was obvious after first q that we lost the game before it even started. there was no point to overplay Mantas

Victorious
08-15-2016, 11:30 PM
Both teams will be extremally motivated. If Croatia looses they will get USA at 1/4. If we loose we will get Australia. Everybody knows how we struggling against such athletic teams like France, Australia or Nigeria. Serbia is better opponent for us.

If JV choke again I will be verry sad. Bilan and Planinic is a joke comparing with him... Pitbull Maciulis will do his best against Bogda. I hope we will see a lot of Maciulis + Kuzminskas, because Kuzia could deffend Saric I think :)

I think Lithuania reached its limit during these Olympics. They are probably going to be the easiest opponent for any team in the QF.

Dreamcatcher
08-15-2016, 11:50 PM
I think Lithuania reached its limit during these Olympics. They are probably going to be the easiest opponent for any team in the QF.

It's always better for us when Lithuania is underrated. So was on the last Eurobasket.

usagre
08-15-2016, 11:56 PM
It's always better for us when Lithuania is underrated. So was in the last Eurobasket.

2010 and 2014 World Cup semifinals too.

Picek
08-15-2016, 11:56 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/Picek/14039971_1407663089248780_7490022005085452659_n.jp g

come on guys, we need this one.
I want Serbia.

Dreamcatcher
08-16-2016, 12:02 AM
2010 and 2014 World Cup semifinals too.

In 2004 Olympics group stage as well.

usagre
08-16-2016, 12:04 AM

Yeah but overall they underachieved in that tournament after a perfect group stage and then not even a medal.

usagre
08-16-2016, 12:06 AM

My point about Lithuania in '10 and '14 was to backup your point about Eurobasket last year in that they were not expected to be semifinalists those years and were underrated.

Dtown
08-16-2016, 12:06 AM
So if I have this right.
Lithuania wins it's

Lithuania
Spain
Argentina
Croatia

and if Croatia wins

Croatia
Spain
Lithuania
Argentina

So Spain/France is a lock then?

usagre
08-16-2016, 12:09 AM
So if I have this right.
Lithuania wins it's

Lithuania
Spain
Argentina
Croatia

and if Croatia wins

Croatia
Spain
Lithuania
Argentina

So Spain/France is a lock then?

100% accurate

Victorious
08-16-2016, 12:13 AM
It's always better for us when Lithuania is underrated. So was on the last Eurobasket.

Lithuania are only slightly underrated. They just always end up on the right side of the bracket. I mean, most people rated you top 5 in last Eurobasket. Yet, you made the final because at least 3 out of the 4 teams which were considered better than Lithuania were in the other bracket.

Once again, this year, Lithuania is on the right side of the bracket. USA, France, Spain are all on the other side. I mean, one of Lithuania, Australia, Serbia, Croatia/Argentina is going to be in the final.

neo
08-16-2016, 12:14 AM
100% accurate

if crotia wins, no chance for spain to be #1?

usagre
08-16-2016, 12:17 AM
if crotia wins, no chance for spain to be #1?

No because Croatia beat Spain. It's officially locked in Spain vs France as the fourth and final quarterfinal of the day.
Saved the best for last.

barchen
08-16-2016, 12:18 AM
so Croatia has much more to play for. imho Lithuanians don't care, if they will play Serbs and then Aus, or Aus and then Serbs....

usagre
08-16-2016, 12:19 AM
USA is set for first quarterfinal at 11 am local time. Weird time might be a factor ?

neo
08-16-2016, 12:23 AM
No because Croatia beat Spain. It's officially locked in Spain vs France as the fourth and final quarterfinal of the day.
Saved the best for last.

d winner earns d right to upset usa in d semis? or d winner between aus and lithuania/argentina?

usagre
08-16-2016, 12:25 AM
d winner earns d right to upset usa in d semis.

Or the right to play for the bronze medal. We shall see.

neo
08-16-2016, 12:27 AM
USA is set for first quarterfinal at 11 am local time. Weird time might be a factor ?

i think so. but usa still wins.

Dreamcatcher
08-16-2016, 12:31 AM
Lithuania are only slightly underrated. They just always end up on the right side of the bracket. I mean, most people rated you top 5 in last Eurobasket. Yet, you made the final because at least 3 out of the 4 teams which were considered better than Lithuania were in the other bracket.

Once again, this year, Lithuania is on the right side of the bracket. USA, France, Spain are all on the other side. I mean, one of Lithuania, Australia, Serbia, Croatia/Argentina is going to be in the final.

Well, not the correct place to discuss that Euro, but we had the easy group, but then in play off games there were serious opponents. Italy with their stars, strong Serbian team which was the favourite in that game. Even George in 1/8 was a hard one, because they improved their game from the first games and due to their character i considered them highier than Chroatia and Slovenia and i was right.

As for this tournament, how Spain is on the other side if we played against them 2 days ago? This group is strong and we won 3 games of 4. And IMO we have to take the last one.

usagre
08-16-2016, 12:45 AM
Seems logic defying that Croatia can go to either a 1 or 4 in just one game but that's what it is.

Titov Pionir
08-16-2016, 01:07 AM
After watching Lithuania being crushed by Spain, and Croatia beat Spain in the beginning, I'm going for Croatia on this one, but it will be a close score game. Good luck to you both Croatia and Lithuania. Serbia is ready for either one : )) ) )

Modis
08-16-2016, 01:13 AM

Well is it our fault that Spain ends up on the other side of the bracket. You earn your easiest path.

Modis
08-16-2016, 01:21 AM
We really need to redeem ourselfs and regain others respect after this Spanish humiliation by winning against Croatia comfortably..Lets go !!!!

Picek
08-16-2016, 01:25 AM
We really need to redeem ourselfs and regain others respect after this Spanish humiliation by winning against Croatia comfortably..Lets go !!!!and we really need to beat you finally and face Serbia.
good luck.

CoachZ
08-16-2016, 01:29 AM
and we really need to beat you finally and face Serbia.
good luck.

Well you are the leading masochist definitely. You would think that 20 years is enough :D

usagre
08-16-2016, 01:30 AM
Unbeliavably the British announcer says Croatia needs to win in order to advance. Wow!

usagre
08-16-2016, 01:31 AM
Well you are the leading masochist definitely. You would think that 20 years is enough :D

It's funny either way that quarterfinal will have head games involved. You're in Croatian heads and Lithuania is in your heads.

CoachZ
08-16-2016, 01:33 AM
JV continuing his championship form :D :D WTF :D

CoachZ
08-16-2016, 01:40 AM
The magic man! The Talisman! The Only One!

We know who has the balls in the team! SEEEEIIIBUTIIISSSS!

auris1
08-16-2016, 01:41 AM
plus 10.
we gonna win .easy

LDK
08-16-2016, 01:47 AM
Pitbull Maciulis doing his job in defence. Bogda nowhere to be seen :D

auris1
08-16-2016, 01:49 AM
we are really fast .
best ball movement for a while

CoachZ
08-16-2016, 01:52 AM
Don't jinx the team :D :D :D

As soon as you mentioned Bogda he scores. As soon as Auris said it's done, easy win, they make a run :D :D :D

CoachZ
08-16-2016, 01:53 AM
Saric abusing now Kuzminskas and Sabonis on both sides of floor.

LDK
08-16-2016, 01:55 AM
Saric is raping Kuzminskas

CoachZ
08-16-2016, 01:58 AM
Valanciunas I counted so far 4 TOs and few more stupidities and now awful defense on Planinic.

Ashtrusis_dantis
08-16-2016, 02:03 AM
WTF Kuzminskas is doing on the flour? He is a black hole on our defense all this quarter.

usagre
08-16-2016, 02:04 AM
Shoot out in battle for first place. Hezonja shot is about as pretty as it gets.

Teams combined 11/17 from three.

CoachZ
08-16-2016, 02:09 AM
JV - Sabonis - Kuzminskas, together absolute zero. Even negative contribution. Jankunas playing quite well on both sides of the ball and of course Kalnietis.

Picek
08-16-2016, 02:14 AM
rather good half by us, controlling defensive rebounds which was a must.
Šarić recognizing and abusing Kuzminskas in offense.
Planinić beats JV any day :cool:
come on guys, 20 more minutes..

Modis
08-16-2016, 02:22 AM
What is with our defense this year :mad: All three games Brazil Argentina Nigeria and Croatia we had comfortable leads but we collapse so quickly..

Picek
08-16-2016, 02:25 AM
for lithuania sake Kazlauskas needs to put Javtokas instead of JV.

CoachZ
08-16-2016, 02:25 AM
JV needs to be benched, he is killing his team all tournament. Javtokas time!

Federoy
08-16-2016, 02:28 AM
Unbeliavably the British announcer says Croatia needs to win in order to advance. Wow!

I don't know if he's British. He sounds like an Australian or maybe a New Zealander. At any rate, he's been absolutely terrible throughout this tournament.

auris1
08-16-2016, 02:29 AM
we are done

Beez
08-16-2016, 02:31 AM
If Lithuania has to play Australia, that's not good for Lithuania.

usagre
08-16-2016, 02:33 AM
If Lithuania has to play Australia, that's not good for Lithuania.

Against Serbia would be tough too. I think for them it's more about righting the ship and playing like they were earlier in the tournament.

CoachZ
08-16-2016, 02:35 AM
Against Serbia would be tough too. I think for them it's more about righting the ship and playing like they were earlier in the tournament.

This is what I have been telling you all along. They haven't been playing that well. They pulled off some games with runs in key moments but in general played sloppy basketball, very turnover prone. They are off, the whole tournament.

Picek
08-16-2016, 02:40 AM
Babo on fireeee

usagre
08-16-2016, 02:40 AM
Bogdanovic reminds me of Oscar Schmidt. He was just born to score.

Markoishvili
08-16-2016, 02:42 AM
Lithuania falling apart yet again. Would be a shock at this point to see them win against Australia.

AiwiTo
08-16-2016, 02:43 AM
Terrible. No words to say our game. Everybody looks lost in defense. After these 2 defeats we will be big underdongs vs Australia. Something must changed if they still think about medals.

AiwiTo
08-16-2016, 02:46 AM
Anyway, lasy 2 games are shame for Lithuania basketball.. I dont think they fixed these games. They are just really really bad.. With psycho and firstly and after with very bad defense. JV ilustrates it all

Federoy
08-16-2016, 02:48 AM
Anyway, lasy 2 games are shame for Lithuania basketball.. I dont think they fixed these games. They are just really really bad.. With psycho and firstly and after with very bad defense. JV ilustrates it all

I was thinking the same thing. You don't want to enter the quarterfinals after two miserable defeats. Even if they lose this game, they need to fight back to gain some confidence going into the knockout round.

Silent Killer
08-16-2016, 03:00 AM
kalnietis with double double game..

R1ou
08-16-2016, 03:00 AM
Kalnietis has played the whole game?Kazlauskas is lost and nervous.

CoachZ
08-16-2016, 03:04 AM
Kalnietis has played the whole game?Kazlauskas is lost and nervous.

Him and Jankunas are the only ones actually playing. The rest, fucking disaster...

Picek
08-16-2016, 03:07 AM
hell yeaaaaaaaaaaaah!

auris1
08-16-2016, 03:10 AM
Terrible. No words to say our game. Everybody looks lost in defense. After these 2 defeats we will be big underdongs vs Australia. Something must changed if they still think about medals.

medals?
I am just really ashamed of being Lithuanian .

CoachZ
08-16-2016, 03:11 AM
hell yeaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Congrats! We got the game we both wanted :D :D :D

Somebody buy some Valium for Slavko Cvitkovic. He is gonna have a heart attack :D :D :D

Silent Killer
08-16-2016, 03:12 AM
so croatia vs serbia in qfs
Lithuania against boomers
USA vs argentina
Spain vs France..

Picek
08-16-2016, 03:13 AM
Congrats! We got the game we both wanted :D :D :D

Somebody buy some Valium for Slavko Cvitkovic. He is gonna have a heart attack :D :D :Dhe is not a commentator, he retired I think.

Ashtrusis_dantis
08-16-2016, 03:19 AM
Seems like mistakes during preparation period to me. We looked very good in the beginning of this tournament and now we just look one step or even two steps slower compared to other teams. All these friendly games before tournament...
Hope days of rest will help us. In other case Australia will demolish us.

Picek
08-16-2016, 03:23 AM
just saw the stats:
Krunoslav Simon 20+10+6
55% FG
his best game of the tournament by far.

Beez
08-16-2016, 03:25 AM
Seems like mistakes during preparation period to me. We looked very good in the beginning of this tournament and now we just look one step or even two steps slower compared to other teams. All these friendly games before tournament...
Hope days of rest will help us. In other case Australia will demolish us.

I think you're right. Lithuania caught a break playing the two most athletic teams in the group early. I'm not sure they would beat them now.

Hepcat
08-16-2016, 03:28 AM
It wasn't just Croatia's three point shooting that won the game, it was Croatia's 37-27 edge in rebounding. And this despite the strength of Lithuania's team theoretically being its big men.

Bruno Díaz es Batman
08-16-2016, 03:29 AM
Second time Croatia beats Lithuania in official game, isn't it?

Two big and important L.

Modis
08-16-2016, 03:34 AM
Like some i dont understand is well why Kazlauskas didin't use Javtokas for defensive purposes, especially when we had that comfortable +8 lead...

auris1
08-16-2016, 03:36 AM
Sometimes ...There are games that you should easily win ,alas ...

We still lost nothing , on the paper . I am still sure not sure if by us winning Serbia was anyhow better than drawing on Boomers .
40 minutes for Kalnietis speaks volumes of our desperation .

auris1
08-16-2016, 03:42 AM
It wasn't just Croatia's three point shooting that won the game, it was Croatia's 37-27 edge in rebounding. And this despite the strength of Lithuania's team theoretically being its big men.

Another game we did not play organised well at all . Not like us at all .
But ...If you had a chance to choose one out of the two opponents for the next game ..Which we did .So.. Would this result surprise you much ? If Kazlauskas decided that Ausies are more suitable for us ?
In the end of the day ,be it Serbia or Australia ,it was a choice he had to make .

usagre
08-16-2016, 03:46 AM
What if I told Lithuanian fans two weeks ago that all that stood in the way of a final appearance was Australia, and the winner of Serbia-Croatia. You all would have signed up for that. Sure a lot can change in two weeks but not that much.

Modis
08-16-2016, 03:48 AM
Sometimes ...There are games that you should easily win ,alas ...

We still lost nothing , on the paper . I am still sure not sure if by us winning Serbia was anyhow better than drawing on Boomers .

There is no question we jumped on even stronger opponent now. We are more familiar with Serbia, while Australia is like second USA in this tournament

Modis
08-16-2016, 03:56 AM
Another game we did not play organised well at all . Not like us at all .
But ...If you had a chance to choose one out of the two opponents for the next game ..Which we did .So.. Would this result surprise you much ? If Kazlauskas decided that Ausies are more suitable for us ?
In the end of the day ,be it Serbia or Australia ,it was a choice he had to make .

Its mind blowing how some even come to thoughts that we were choosing opponents. You can see in Kazlauskas face that things definitely turned for worse.

Boomer
08-16-2016, 06:29 AM
The nba talent that the boomers have should hold them in good stead in pressure games like this, 4 of our guys have nba championship rings In the last 3 years. Aron baynes is key for the Australians he needs to step up in my opinion, he looks lazy in games, he needs to help out bogut control the Ltu bigs, Anderson has been a shining light

Svajunas
08-16-2016, 06:37 AM
plus 10.
we gonna win .easy
deleted - Levenspiel

Svajunas
08-16-2016, 06:48 AM
medals?
I am just really ashamed of being Lithuanian .

wow. you just keep on going my friend. worst poster on this forum. terrible human being.

Boomer
08-16-2016, 06:52 AM
You guys should be proud of your national team, always hitting above your weight. One thing you can't say about Lithuania is they lack fighting spirit.

each way
08-16-2016, 08:56 AM
So people think Lithuania threw that game? Just seemed odd the way they played from mid 2Q and 3Q when they let Croatia run all over them.

Straight forward
08-16-2016, 09:04 AM
I have a feeling Kazlauskas is pretty bad in this tournament so far. You can't play Kalnietis straight 40 minutes. In the 1 quarter Lithuania had almost 10 pts lead, why not to give at least 2 minutes for a backup, anybody instead of him? He barely uses zone defence, I think mainly because JV can't move (is that shitty physical coaches work or what, but JV is really moving very bad...probably worse than 2013, he seems as slow as 2013), but even with JV zone defence looked decently. Guard's rotation became poorer than last year, that's obvious now. It's time to say Kazlauskas made a mistake with Kariniauskas and specially Juskevicius. Off course, Milaknis would probably play now if he hadn't run away, but obviously only Grigonis was a right choice despite missing jumpers.

I have little doubt Kazlauskas saved quite few things for the 4finals and we'll see different basketball, but tired Kalnietis for the 4finals was one of the worst things to happen. Kazlauskas will have a hard time to decide what to do with JV because he is simply sinking the team. He should be out of rotation as soon as he is in the same mode in the first 3-4 minutes of the 4finals and I think Kazlauskas understands that now. The problem is that Lithuania lost the sharpness and looks out of tune and it will be hard to find the highest gear against Australia.

miloje
08-16-2016, 10:01 AM
it was friendly match

Sakkreth
08-16-2016, 10:07 AM
Congratulations to Croatia on winning this game first of all.

But so many questions about this game. Focus was not there from Lithuania despite the shaming loss vs Spain. Forcing usage of Valanciunas to get him into shape for qf makes sense, but then why Kalnietis plays 40 minutes if the victory wasn't the only thing that matters? Use Javtokas for defense, or why the fuck is he on the team then?

Jon_Koncak
08-16-2016, 10:10 AM
So people think Lithuania threw that game? Just seemed odd the way they played from mid 2Q and 3Q when they let Croatia run all over them.

who are these ppl that believe such nonsense?Is there anything suspicious in Lietuva conceding 62 points in quarters 2 and 3 which they lost by a total of 28 points?The game was as clear as water..

Hepcat
08-16-2016, 02:33 PM
Second time Croatia beats Lithuania in official game, isn't it?

Two big and important L.

One big and important L. The other back in the late nineties was meaningless to both teams.

Hepcat
08-16-2016, 02:41 PM

Truth. I can't remember ever seeing a boxscore in which a player was credited with 40:00. If Lithuania wins a medal, statues to Kalnietis should be erected from Vilnius to Kaunas to Klaipėda to Marquette Park in Chicago.

:(

Hepcat
08-16-2016, 02:45 PM
What if I told Lithuanian fans two weeks ago that all that stood in the way of a final appearance was Australia, and the winner of Serbia-Croatia. You all would have signed up for that. Sure a lot can change in two weeks but not that much.

But the team's flaws (no depth at guard, no center who can shoot the three, no mobile centers on defence) have been so tragically exposed. The team has played only four good quarters of basketball out of twenty.

Hopefully Coach Kazlauskas is keeping a spare rabbit in the hat that he's planning to pull out in the playoffs because things look pretty bleak now.

Hepcat
08-16-2016, 02:55 PM
Guard's rotation became poorer than last year, that's obvious now. It's time to say Kazlauskas made a mistake with Kariniauskas and specially Juskevicius. Off course, Milaknis would probably play now if he hadn't run away, but obviously only Grigonis was a right choice despite missing jumpers.

I can understand Coach Kazlauskas not trusting young inexperienced Vaidas Kariniauskas out on the floor in high pressure situations, but why then was much better seasoned Mindaugas Girdžiūnas dropped from the team? Surely Girdžiūnas might have contributed something as opposed to nothing! The reason Kazlauskas gave at the time was that Girdžiūnas had the exact same mix of skills as Adas Juškevičius but wasn't quite as good. Well why then has Juškevičius been on the bench the whole time? Surely in a game where Mantas Kalnietis was setting a record for floor time and Marius Grigonis wasn't exactly lighting up the scoreboard Juškevičius could have been tried at one of the guard slots. I just don't understand.

Mindozas
08-16-2016, 03:02 PM
I can understand Coach Kazlauskas not trusting young inexperienced Vaidas Kariniauskas out on the floor in high pressure situations, but why then was better seasoned Mindaugas Girdžiūnas dropped from the team? Surely Girdžiūnas might have contributed something as opposed to nothing! The reason Kazlauskas gave at the time was that Girdžiūnas had the exact same mix of skills as Adas Juškevičius but wasn't quite as good. Well why then has Juškevičius been on the bench the whole time? Surely in a game where Mantas Kalnietis was setting a record for floor time and Marius Grigonis wasn't exactly lighting up the scoreboard Juškevičius could have been tried at one of the guard slots. I just don't understand.

You answered about Girdziunas yourself, same role like Juskevicius, Adas bein' a better option, but still not good enough for this level to have consistant playin' time. It's not LKL or some Eurocup, but we simply have nothing to choose from, if we would, such Kariniauskas, Juskevicius, Girdziunas wouldn't taken into consideration at all

Hepcat
08-16-2016, 03:05 PM
Him(Kalnietis) and Jankunas are the only ones actually playing. The rest, fucking disaster...

Renaldas Seibutis was decent when he wasn't on the bench with foul trouble but otherwise you're 100% correct.

Mindaugas Kuzminskas and Domantas Sabonis were non-factors. I just followed the live-stream and didn't actually see the game so who were the two Croatian bigs whose defence completely neutralized Kuzminskas and Sabonis?

Hepcat
08-16-2016, 03:09 PM
You answered about Girdziunas yourself, same role like Juskevicius, Adas bein' a better option, but still not good enough for this level to have consistant playin' time. It's not LKL or some Eurocup, but we simply have nothing to choose from, if we would, such Kariniauskas, Juskevicius, Girdziunas wouldn't taken into consideration at all

I frowned when Rimantas Kaukėnas decided to hang up his shoes at the end of the club season. I was hoping he'd decide to have one last kick at the can because otherwise the cupboard was very bare.

egisz
08-16-2016, 03:10 PM
Truth. I can't remember ever seeing a boxscore in which a player was credited with 40:00. If Lithuania wins a medal, statues to Kalnietis should be erected from Vilnius to Kaunas to Klaipėda to Marquette Park in Chicago.

Not only Marquette Park. Back of the Yards, Cicero, Lemont in Chicago too! Maybe a small one in Ijui (Brazil) also :)

Hepcat
08-16-2016, 03:23 PM
Use Javtokas for defense, or why the fuck is he on the team then?

Coach Kazlauskas ended up with no choice when it came to choosing Lithuanian bigs when Darjuš Lavrinovič was told by the doctors that he had to take a few months off this summer so that his tired battered body could recuperate and when Donatas Motiejūnas decided to hold out for even more millions$ than the Rockets were offering him. That sealed the deal.

The only question now is whether Coach Kazlauskas doesn't see Robertas Javtokas and Antanas Kavaliauskas as having a role at all other than in practice. They've barely appeared on the court so far this tournament.

Hepcat
08-16-2016, 03:30 PM
Not only Marquette Park. Back of the Yards, Cicero, Lemont in Chicago too! Maybe a small one in Ijui (Brazil) also :)

And in Shenandoah, Pennsylvania!

:cool:

Call me delusional, call me an idiot, but I'm still clinging to a thin thread of hope.

;)