PDA

View Full Version : Group B Day 4: Croatia vs. Nigeria

Hepcat
08-12-2016, 03:27 PM
Croatia could still finish on top in Group B with victories in its last two games, but is this the match in which plucky Nigeria will actually emerge triumphant? We will see.

:confused:

CoachZ
08-12-2016, 04:23 PM
Ajmo Vatreni!

It will be a huge game Day 5, Lith vs Croatia if they win! Winner gets Serbia and avoids USA until the final.

Dtown
08-12-2016, 04:27 PM
There's a real danger of looking over Nigeria, and looking ahead to Lithuania.

Picek
08-12-2016, 05:37 PM
hardest game of the tournament for us as it is the only one we are entering as favourites.
I was in Seville when we lost to Senegal.
balkan mentality is hard to overcome in games like this.
we can easily lose this one if we don't show the same gritty defense we have shown in our two victories here.
if we start playing proper D in the last quarter like we did against Argentina we will lose again.
this is the game I fear the most.

Picek
08-14-2016, 01:42 AM
Hezonja is 8/12 for three on the tournament.
he should take more shots.

CoachZ
08-14-2016, 01:43 AM
Hezonja is 8/12 for three on the tournament.
he should take more shots.

He has been a liability on defense though.

I am very positively surprised how Ukic has played so far. He is quietly having a good tournament.

judasmartel
08-14-2016, 02:00 AM
It sometimes baffles me how some European teams struggle against African teams while South American teams rekt them just fine.

Is it the African physicality that South Americans can match very well? Or is African basketball just plain weird to European teams?

Thoughts about this?

R1ou
08-14-2016, 02:08 AM
It sometimes baffles me how some European teams struggle against African teams while South American teams rekt them just fine.

Is it the African physicality that South Americans can match very well?

Thoughts about this?

Nigeria is the best African team with Senegal following.Apart from these two,who usually lose +15 when the games become tight and the options are limited,African teams are not even close to Europe's level. If you see the records since 2014 most results are blowouts.Still I consider them upon Asia and below only Argentina,Canada USA and Brazil from America's.They have made steps ahead and now they import NBA players on a consistent basis.

Picek
08-14-2016, 02:14 AM
effective offense entering the game made us confident we can win this one by offense.
we can not, this can only be won by a good defensive team effort.
and that we lacked in the second quarter.
this is exactly the reason why I was afraid of this game.
Nigeria playing wild and we accepted that
if the attitude won't change we will lose it.

judasmartel
08-14-2016, 02:15 AM
Nigeria is the best African team with Senegal following.Apart from these two,who usually lose +15 when the games become tight and the options are limited,African teams are not even close to Europe's level. If you see the records since 2014 most results are blowouts.Still I consider them upon Asia and below only Argentina,Canada USA and Brazil from America's.They have made steps ahead and now they import NBA players on a consistent basis.

How about Angola? How come they were so dominant in the 2000's African ball?

R1ou
08-14-2016, 02:27 AM
How about Angola? How come they were so dominant in the 2000's African ball?

Correct I had forgot it.They dominated(and still dominate partially) in African basketball but the future belongs to Nigeria.Angola barely managed to put troubles in international level.

JGX
08-14-2016, 02:31 AM
I really enjoy having Nigeria in these tournaments, it answers the "how would some random bunch of American dudes who are pretty good but not quite NBA level do in international play" hypothetical question.

Beez
08-14-2016, 02:43 AM
I really enjoy having Nigeria in these tournaments, it answers the "how would some random bunch of American dudes who are pretty good but not quite NBA level do in international play" hypothetical question.

That's hilarious. Yeah, I find myself saying "didn't that guy play at the university of so-and-so?" when I watch Nigeria. I have vague memories of about half the Nigerian roster playing at american colleges.

ncjazz
08-14-2016, 02:45 AM
Ok, I give respect to Nigeria for their play today, but is Croatia trying to lose on purpose?

Picek
08-14-2016, 02:45 AM
unfortunately I was right..
I know this team too well..

Federoy
08-14-2016, 02:46 AM
What is it about African teams that give Croatia trouble? They got beat two years ago by Senegal in the World Cup, and now this? Nigeria has been knocking on the door since getting thrashed by Argentina. That Brazil-Nigeria game is starting to loom large if they go on to beat Croatia.

Dtown
08-14-2016, 02:48 AM
My one thought upon the start of the 4th quarter. Group B is a clusterfuck

JGX
08-14-2016, 02:54 AM
Nigeria playing a lot of 16 seed ball now, trying to run out the clock with 10 minutes left in the game.

ncjazz
08-14-2016, 02:55 AM
Croatia looking so slow. Nigeria getting every loose ball. Croatians partied at Rio nightclub last night?

Dtown
08-14-2016, 03:08 AM
Crappy Announcer fully siding with Nigeria is pretty hilarious.

edit: Okay that technical was rough though

Beez
08-14-2016, 03:12 AM
Crappy Announcer fully siding with Nigeria is pretty hilarious.

edit: Okay that technical was rough though

He's been low energy for the entire tournament until tonight.

Dtown
08-14-2016, 03:14 AM
I'm happy with for Nigeria, they were too damn competitive to go without a win.

announcer is an idiot though. Biggest upsets in Olympic history my ass. Group B is a clusterfuck though

Picek
08-14-2016, 03:15 AM
this team can not win if it doesn't defend.
and we didn't defend.

Beez
08-14-2016, 03:18 AM
this team can not win if it doesn't defend.
and we didn't defend.

That sums it up. Nigeria shot 47% from 3 and grabbed 17 offensive rebounds.

JGX
08-14-2016, 03:19 AM
LOL, that missed dunk at the end...sometimes it's just not your night.

Picek
08-14-2016, 03:32 AM
the worst thing is, already after our qualification tournament in Torino our coaching staff has been warning everyone about Nigeria (even if back then they expected Nigeria could have even stronger roster).
in all of the pregame statements all the players and coaching staff were aware that this will be the hardest game for us.
we failed miserably.
so I can not just blame the mentality thing even if it is huge factor.
oh, well..
let's see who bounces back. liths or the croats.
for us it could be win or go home game and it will definitely be hard to bounce back after this.

pohani komarac
08-14-2016, 03:35 AM
Win vs Italy, Greece, Spain and Brazil. Lose vs Nigeria = Croatia :D

I don't think anyone can imagine how is to be Croatian fan. And it's not even surprise

Arsonist
08-14-2016, 04:40 AM
They played well Nigerians, the effectiveness from the perimeter had been brutal and were owner rebounds

Chigusa
08-14-2016, 06:00 AM
And the 2015 African Champions prevail ! :) Great effort from Nigeria..what a clutch 3 by Akognon when Croatia had cut the deficit to to 74-71 (17 made three point shots for Nigeria in total). Watching the game it felt like Nigeria had 15 blocks..Ike Diogu & Ekene Ibeweke did a good job protecting the rim. I have a lot of respect for Ike Diogu..he gives his all for the national team. It's really too bad that Al-Farouq Aminu couldn't play in Rio as Nigeria would have been a legit threat to win more games and make some noise because they are competing with this undermanned roster. Ever since 2012 you could see that Nigeria would continue to build this project..hopefully the federation can capitlize from this momentum and provide even more stability to this budding giant known as Team Nigeria.

If Nigeria national team can experience a renaissance similar to Colangelo and Coach K's USA project where representing the national team becomes the in thing to do for the top players then Nigeria is a world basketball threat. The pool of young talent who could eventually wear Nigeria colors on senior level is good..Bam Adebayo (UK), John Ogwuche..young lefty shooting guard with good size/strong body...Ikenna Ndugba..future Nigeria pg playmaker extraordinaire...Udoka Azubuike, 6'11 pivot..like Bam Adebayo he will develope in high level NCAA University training...the future is bright..Michael Gbinje is getting great experience with national team playing in his first Olympics..Gbinije (24yrs old) and A-Farouq Aminu (25yrs old) should be candidates to lead Nigeria through the next four years of play in they stick with the federation and vice-versa.

On another note, as another poster pointed out..the announcer on the American Olympics Basketball speciality channell was definitely on Nigeria's side. It was hilarious when he was calling out Crotia travels near the end..LOL. But what an ovation by the crowd when Nigeria was exiting the court. This is what basketball is all about...keep competing, never quit and stick with it..Nigeria was rewarded for their efforts as the African Champions out-play FIBA Europe Croatia.

thegreekmeister
08-14-2016, 08:15 AM
in all of the pregame statements all the players and coaching staff were aware that this will be the hardest game for us.

Sorry, maybe it is lost in English, but I had to double check this :D
Players and coaches actually believed that Nigeria was the strongest/hardest opponent in the group? Just hard to believe, hence my "lost in translation" remark :)

MZT Skopje
08-14-2016, 09:06 AM
Heja heja....

Jon_Koncak
08-14-2016, 09:25 AM
I dont think most ppl realise that Nigeria is essentially a team formed of Americans.It's like if Greece had a team full of Calathes,Tylor Dorsey,Bramos type of players(well by the looks of it it's gonna happen in a few years)..I'm glad for their good performance so far but i dont think this team is representative of african bball in general.

Picek
08-14-2016, 10:48 AM
Sorry, maybe it is lost in English, but I had to double check this :D
Players and coaches actually believed that Nigeria was the strongest/hardest opponent in the group? Just hard to believe, hence my "lost in translation" remark :)hardest yes, hardest for us.
Nigeria is not the strongest opponent surely but for us it was the hardest.
don't know if it makes much sense but it is like that.

R1ou
08-14-2016, 10:54 AM
hardest yes, hardest for us.
Nigeria is not the strongest opponent surely but for us it was hardest.
don't know if it makes much sense but it like that.

It makes by the meaning of the extra pressure Croatian players should have as they were supposed to win the game,like every other team in the group.Before the competition started I had Croatia winning 1-2 games,including Nigeria and maybe pulling off a surprise win against Lithuania.I think every fan of Hrvatska had a fear for this game,as far as they had unexpectedly beat Spain and Brazil before.

Picek
08-14-2016, 11:35 AM
It makes by the meaning of the extra pressure Croatian players should have as they were supposed to win the game,like every other team in the group.Before the competition started I had Croatia winning 1-2 games,including Nigeria and maybe pulling off a surprise win against Lithuania.I think every fan of Hrvatska had a fear for this game,as far as they had unexpectedly beat Spain and Brazil before.
the only good thing is that we are still in control of our own destiny.
but others can help too, if they don't we need to do it the harder way. by winning against angry Lithuania.
we like doing things the harder way so I still like our chances of qualifying if we can put this performance against Nigeria behind us.

pohani komarac
08-14-2016, 11:43 AM

Nope, me and my friend discussed basketball with Plolish friend. He said we will beat Nigeria and our instant reaction was NO, stop saying that. He said but it's Nigeria an we started to explain him about us. Our coaches, fans everyone feard this game.

Adon
08-14-2016, 02:28 PM
Nope, me and my friend discussed basketball with Plolish friend. He said we will beat Nigeria and our instant reaction was NO, stop saying that. He said but it's Nigeria an we started to explain him about us. Our coaches, fans everyone feard this game.

"A self-fulfilling prophecy is a prediction that directly or indirectly causes itself to become true, ..." (from wiki)

CHBB
08-14-2016, 04:33 PM
I dont think most ppl realise that Nigeria is essentially a team formed of Americans.It's like if Greece had a team full of Calathes,Tylor Dorsey,Bramos type of players(well by the looks of it it's gonna happen in a few years)..I'm glad for their good performance so far but i dont think this team is representative of african bball in general. What's interesting is how many of them are from Texas, specifically.