PDA

View Full Version : Group B Day 3: Argentina vs. Lithuania

Hepcat
08-11-2016, 02:45 PM
A critical game that will determine which team emerges in the driver's seat of Group B! Which team is going to win in your opinion?

:confused:

usagre
08-11-2016, 02:52 PM
I think these teams are even maybe on a neutral court I would slightly favor Lithuania. But Argentina with that late night rowdy crowd has had a home court advantage and I think it will prove to be the difference.

Hepcat
08-11-2016, 02:53 PM
So the Argentine team will likely borrow Brazil and Nigeria's strategy of double teaming Jonas Valančiūnas in the key and thus containing the damage he does.

Hopefully Coach Kazlauskas has Valančiūnas working on flipping the ball over to teammates cutting to the basket through the back door to defeat this strategy. So far this tournament Valančiūnas only has two assists so he has to work on finding the open man when he himself is in double coverage.

:eek:

LDK
08-11-2016, 02:55 PM
I hope we will see JV finally having a dominant performabce in Rio. Scola can't stop him in paint. It's gonna be gr8 game, sleepless night is coming :)

auris1
08-11-2016, 10:43 PM
Shit ..
I have started my drinking too early .
Those silver and bronze medals came out of nowhere .
5 hours in, and i enjoyed Croatian game a lot . 2 and a half hours to go ? You better believe me

Dreamcatcher
08-11-2016, 10:51 PM
It's possible to watch a replay at 10 o'clock in the morning if you don't need to go anywhere.

CHBB
08-12-2016, 12:16 AM
I can't wait for this game. It should be even better than France vs Serbia was supposed I be because both teams always come to play.

Raze Lupin
08-12-2016, 12:30 AM
Lietuva by 15+ points! I do not believe this game will be close at the end.

Modis
08-12-2016, 01:24 AM
We have a physical advantage here so i expect Valanciunas and D.Sabonis dominating the boards.

Dtown
08-12-2016, 01:26 AM
Game of the day, in what's been a pretty damn good day for Basketball.

CoachZ
08-12-2016, 01:31 AM
Belosevic and Javor are referees :D :D :D

Good luck Argentina with that ref duo. Lith should be OK on that end :D

Beez
08-12-2016, 01:43 AM
Scola is a really poor defender in the NBA. Lithuania should attack him often.

CHBB
08-12-2016, 01:53 AM
Anybody got links?

Federoy
08-12-2016, 02:03 AM
Kuzminzkas is balling out there for Lithuania.

Dtown
08-12-2016, 02:03 AM
Anybody got links?

http://www.feed2allnow.eu/type/olympics.html though you definitely want adblocker for this site.

Federoy
08-12-2016, 02:12 AM
Game of the day, in what's been a pretty damn good day for Basketball.

This has been one of the best tournaments in years. I'd put it up there with 2004 as far as drama and unpredictability.

Svajunas
08-12-2016, 02:13 AM
argentina is playing better. just missing shots. jv still strugling... some strange calls in our favor aswell so im very nervous now...

CoachZ
08-12-2016, 02:20 AM
argentina is playing better. just missing shots. jv still strugling... some strange calls in our favor aswell so im very nervous now...

Told ya before the game. Javor and Belosevic. They have a strong Euro bias in international games. :D

Hepcat
08-12-2016, 02:21 AM
There was all this talk about France and Serbia tanking, but it's here in this game that the evidence would support tanking. The two teams are a combined 5/28 from three point range and 6/12 foul shooting at the half. Now that's what I call tanking shots!

:eek:

Modis
08-12-2016, 02:23 AM

JV has such a physical advantage he should be destroying anyone down the post.

Modis
08-12-2016, 02:26 AM
Told ya before the game. Javor and Belosevic. They have a strong Euro bias in international games. :D

Shut up !! refs are not helping anyone so far its a clean game.

LDK
08-12-2016, 02:28 AM
Bench that moron Jankunas! He is too slow for this game!

CoachZ
08-12-2016, 02:31 AM
Shut up !! refs are not helping anyone so far its a clean game.

I said it before the game, it's a fact those refs always favor European teams in international play. That is all I said. Svajunas talked about the calls.

Also try to be polite, no need for acting like a truck driver.

LDK
08-12-2016, 02:33 AM
Jankunas again.. Manu turned hero mode. Bad for us

LuDux
08-12-2016, 02:35 AM
Someone confused Olympic and LKL referees

Raze Lupin
08-12-2016, 02:36 AM
WOW I didn't know carlos delfino was still alive!!

LDK
08-12-2016, 02:40 AM
Sabonis!

Silent Killer
08-12-2016, 02:44 AM
that lithuania defense..

LDK
08-12-2016, 02:45 AM
Kuzminskas the european baby face assasin :d

CoachZ
08-12-2016, 02:46 AM
He is just killing it tonight. He was hot from the start. Great player, only if he was more consistent.

JV nowhere to be found...

thegreekmeister
08-12-2016, 02:52 AM
How come Ginobili got 3 FT when he was WAY inside the 2pt line? Seriously?

Picek
08-12-2016, 02:53 AM
how to create a come back in 40 sec... vol 1

Federoy
08-12-2016, 02:53 AM
I've seen female players in the women's tournament finish stronger than Sabonis.

Silent Killer
08-12-2016, 02:54 AM
what a game.. tie ball game.

Picek
08-12-2016, 02:55 AM
I've seen female players in the women's tournament finish stronger than Sabonis.I've seen center in women's tournament playing better and being more dominant then JV.

Dtown
08-12-2016, 02:56 AM
This Argentinian crowd ranks among the best I've seen in a olympics/world cup.

Federoy
08-12-2016, 02:57 AM
The Lithuanians are getting nothing from their frontcourt.

Raze Lupin
08-12-2016, 02:57 AM
I've seen female players in the women's tournament finish stronger than Sabonis.

He's so weak!! SOFT!

Beez
08-12-2016, 02:58 AM
He is just killing it tonight. He was hot from the start. Great player, only if he was more consistent.

JV nowhere to be found...

Pretty much. JV can't hold on to the ball on offense and on defense he doesn't show on the pick n' roll. Let Argentina have an uncontested 3 point shot.

Raze Lupin
08-12-2016, 02:59 AM
GINO-BUH-LEEEEEEE!!!!!! *Shaquille O'Neal voice" :cool:

Raze Lupin
08-12-2016, 03:00 AM
JV had know clue about the shot clock! lol

Federoy
08-12-2016, 03:00 AM
This Argentinian crowd ranks among the best I've seen in a olympics/world cup.

They do have some amazing fans, but if I'm an opposing fan trapped in the Argentine section, I'm pissed because the noise and chanting would be deafening!

Raze Lupin
08-12-2016, 03:01 AM
Scola spends more time on the ground than the Argentine wrestling team!!!

CoachZ
08-12-2016, 03:02 AM
Seibuuuuuuuuutiiiiiissssss!

He wants that EB2015 rematch so bad :D

LDK
08-12-2016, 03:03 AM
Sabonis is soft. But if he bulk up too much like JV and looses his speed that won't be good. The main disadvantage for him is his short wingspan. He can't block big guys.

Beez
08-12-2016, 03:03 AM
I guess Manu ran out of gas. He's disappeared.

Federoy
08-12-2016, 03:04 AM
Balls of stones from the Lithuanians. The momentum was swinging towards Argentina and they swung it right back.

CoachZ
08-12-2016, 03:05 AM
And Belosevic with the Dagger :D :D :D

Dtown
08-12-2016, 03:05 AM
Argentina has to watch that temper

Silent Killer
08-12-2016, 03:08 AM
clutch..

LDK
08-12-2016, 03:09 AM
Seibutis!!!

CoachZ
08-12-2016, 03:09 AM
SEIBUTISSSSSSSSS!!!!

Mary me!!!

thegreekmeister
08-12-2016, 03:11 AM
They do have some amazing fans, but if I'm an opposing fan trapped in the Argentine section, I'm pissed because the noise and chanting would be deafening!

Well, isn't that the whole definition of great fans?

Federoy
08-12-2016, 03:13 AM
Well, isn't that the whole definition of great fans?

Not if you're on the opposing side! Amazing support though.

CoachZ
08-12-2016, 03:13 AM
Argentina lost this at the FT line. Especially Manu choked there.

The best game of the tournament so far, regardless how it ends.

CoachZ
08-12-2016, 03:15 AM
Seibutis. The master. Cold as the Baltic Sea.

The man, the legend, the myth. Talisman, Magic Man. Call it what you want. Deus Ex Seibutis

Picek
08-12-2016, 03:17 AM
Brasil - Argentina will be another great one to watch..

Beez
08-12-2016, 03:18 AM
Seibutis. The master. Cold as the Baltic Sea.

The man, the legend, the myth. Talisman, Magic Man. Call it what you want. Deus Ex Seibutis

Luis Scola's defense has made legends of many men. ;)

Federoy
08-12-2016, 03:19 AM
Campazzo is dirty dude. Hitting Melo in the groin "area" in 2012, cracking Teodosic's fingers during a friendly last week, and now needlessly hammering Siebutis's hand when the game is essentially over.

Modis
08-12-2016, 03:21 AM
I've seen center in women's tournament playing better and being more dominant then JV.

With that i agree at the moment .

Federoy
08-12-2016, 03:22 AM
Brasil - Argentina will be another great one to watch..

Looking forward to that one! The atmosphere will be crazy.

pablonis
08-12-2016, 03:26 AM
BBC commentator (about the Argentine flopping and inconsistent, ridiculous referees):

"This is unbelievable.... This is literally unbelievable... Mind boggling... It's as if i'm watching football..." :D

The best bit was - "Ginobilli driving. Trying to fall...!" :D

lafa
08-12-2016, 03:27 AM

This was a total mystery to me as well. It could not have been clearer...

madmax
08-12-2016, 03:28 AM
Luis Scola's defense has made legends of many men. ;)

;)
anyway, another rugby style match the from this group. I suppose now, that all the south american "tough" teams are past our path, we can finally breath a little easier on court:rolleyes:

Raze Lupin
08-12-2016, 03:29 AM
Argentina lost this at the FT line. Especially Manu choked there.

The best game of the tournament so far, regardless how it ends.

agreed on FT!

waz this game better than Aus v US?

Ashtrusis_dantis
08-12-2016, 03:30 AM
So someone was talking some shit about Seibutis before tournament?

lafa
08-12-2016, 03:33 AM
JV is looking like Dueñas right now with his offense

Shawshank
08-12-2016, 03:35 AM
This Lithuania team is battle tested team, there arent anything they arent seen.Argentina is very smart team, but those floopings all game long aint beautifull.Proud our guys kept to the plan and do not let argentians get in our heads with their dirty tricks...

It seems we gonna see our old friends in 1/4 game Serbia:)

Ashtrusis_dantis
08-12-2016, 03:39 AM
JV is looking like Dueñas right now with his offense

Is there a competition who will write "better" joke about Valanciunas? :)
Mark My words - when the time will come he will have his points and impact. Argentina, Nigeria are playing mostly without true center + this year we seems to have a lot of weapons on offense so we don't need to give everything to Jonas.
+ he won't be tired... :rolleyes:

madmax
08-12-2016, 03:49 AM
Is there a competition who will write "better" joke about Valanciunas? :)
Mark My words - when the time will come he will have his points and impact. Argentina, Nigeria are playing mostly without true center + this year we seems to have a lot of weapons on offense so we don't need to give everything to Jonas.
+ he won't be tired... :rolleyes:

let them have their field day mate - NBA hate is still very strong among some euro fellas, so whenever some established player is having a subpar tournament, they all love to rain the hate on him:) That's nothing new, as all the best players have their fair share of devoted passionate haters

Raze Lupin
08-12-2016, 03:52 AM
let them have their field day mate - nba hate is still very strong among some euro fellas, so whenever some established player is having a subpar tournament, they all love to rain the hate on him:) that's nothing new, as all the best players have their fair share of devoted passionate haters

truth!

Hepcat
08-12-2016, 03:53 AM
Don't be silly. There's no hate for Jonas Valančiūnas from the Lithuanian contingent on this board.

:rolleyes:

Arsonist
08-12-2016, 03:56 AM
And a guy named Kuzminskas played in the New York Knicks NBA next season, tremendous eye of Phil Jackson, 23 pts and 5 rebounds the best of Lithuania today before Argentina

Hepcat
08-12-2016, 03:58 AM
What's that bush league uniform he's wearing?

Modis
08-12-2016, 04:17 AM
Don't be silly. There's no hate for Jonas Valančiūnas from the Lithuanian contingent on this board.

:rolleyes:

Of course no hate but he's definitely not playing well so far and against Spain his confidence could be totally destroyed he will have three hard match ups against Pau Hernangomez and Reyes, this is where now Kazlauskas will use Javtokas alot for defensive purposes.

madmax
08-12-2016, 04:25 AM
Of course no hate but he's definitely not playing well so far and against Spain his confidence could be totally destroyed he will have three hard match ups against Pau Hernangomez and Reyes, this is where now Kazlauskas will use Javtokas alot for defensive purposes.

actually you're very wrong, as Spain is playing true traditional centers and I doubt they'll try to double team him like the previous 3 teams in this tournament (unless they want the exact same result in the loss column lol). Also, Gasol is a very poor defender himself

lafa
08-12-2016, 04:27 AM
Every freakin' year we say - it is going to be JV's international breakthrough tournament. After every tournament it's the same story all over again. He can't create his own shot when he's 3 meters away from basket, he can't defend p'n'r, he's useless on switches, his footwark is non existent, his 1 on 1 defense when oponent is facing him is abysmal. He's only good at defensive rebounding and screens, and I'm not sure about latter one as well, because he's starting to compensate his slowliness by moving screens. He has no leader abilieties and never will be. Sabonis is right now loking much better than him.

Ashtrusis_dantis
08-12-2016, 04:42 AM
Every freakin' year we say - it is going to be JV's international breakthrough tournament. After every tournament it's the same story all over again. He can't create his own shot when he's 3 meters away from basket, he can't defend p'n'r, he's useless on switches, his footwark is non existent, his 1 on 1 defense when oponent is facing him is abysmal. He's only good at defensive rebounding and screens, and I'm not sure about latter one as well, because he's starting to compensate his slowliness by moving screens. He has no leader abilieties and never will be. Sabonis is right now loking much better than him.

Last year was not good enough? :confused:
A lot of horse crap. And just few good points - pick'n'roll(with some exception) and switches (and again, we were playing agains teams with PF). He can create his own shot and have a good shot from a middle range, his 1 on 1 defense is normal (or you expected him to be able to defend PF and SF?), he is very good rebounder, sets excellent screens (how many points were made of his screens?). And to say he have no leader abilities... It is 1 of 2 - or you didn't see him playing or you simply hate him.

Modis
08-12-2016, 04:47 AM
actually you're very wrong, as Spain is playing true traditional centers and I doubt they'll try to double team him like the previous 3 teams in this tournament (unless they want the exact same result in the loss column lol). Also, Gasol is a very poor defender himself

Omg again..Can we not agree that this's just not JV's year for our NT its not like he's double teamed for the first time this has happened last year and in 2014 world cup but JV was still smashing trough two opponents into the basket. Kazlauskas said himself he's waiting for him to step his game up.

usagre
08-12-2016, 04:51 AM
To my Lithuanian friends, it looks like I was onto something with Kuzminskas. The coach found about 10 more minutes than he was averaging and it really paid off.

madmax
08-12-2016, 04:58 AM

let me educate you a bit on this game called basketball, as you clearly need some mentoring it seems:)
FIBA game and NBA basketball are two different things on many occasions - plenty of NBA players struggle to adjust to smaller spacing and crowded painted areas in FIBA. That's why you see a lot of offensive fouls from some guys, as they're used to operate one on one in NBA and with 3 second defensive rule defenders just pack the paint and wait to flop whenever the opportunity arises. Refs are usually very inconsistent too in how they interpret the game. It all takes time to adjust to the best of them and some guys never even do. You want some examples of great players struggling in FIBA tournaments? See 5 time NBA champion Tim Duncan having disastrous Olympics in 2004 and the most recent example Boogie from team USA, who is struggling as well. Traditional big men have a tough time in today's FIBA and it's all thanks to specific rules

Svajunas
08-12-2016, 05:12 AM
doublepost

Svajunas
08-12-2016, 05:13 AM

my thoughts exactly

Svajunas
08-12-2016, 05:29 AM
Omg again..Can we not agree that this's just not JV's year for our NT its not like he's double teamed for the first time this has happened last year and in 2014 world cup but JV was still smashing trough two opponents into the basket. Kazlauskas said himself he's waiting for him to step his game up.

just a quick reminder that its YOU who is always pitpointing that JV is playing bad. we know it. no need to nash our own players like that. another thing to remember is that when JV was beasting last year other guys struggled. now we have the whole team playing great and we simply dont need him to score every time. other then scoring he is doing just fine.

i dont know who this spain poster who just dumped a load on jv is but his post is 75prc. wrong with some biased bullshit.

Modis
08-12-2016, 05:41 AM
another thing to remember is that when JV was beasting last year other guys struggled. now we have the whole team playing great and we simply dont need him to score every time. other then scoring he is doing just fine.

Fair play good point..:rolleyes:

sashikas
08-12-2016, 06:54 AM
Game with Argentina has shown clearly, why Kazlauskas went with Grigonis over Milaknis. Maybe currently he is less lethal in three-point shooting, but he is already a valuable asset in the defense and could be trusted with guarding opponent's leaders. And he is just 22 years old. I am predicting him overtaking main SG spot in NT for years after Seibutis quits.

lafa
08-12-2016, 07:03 AM
Game with Argentina has shown clearly, why Kazlauskas went with Grigonis over Milaknis. Maybe currently he is less lethal in three-point shooting, but he is already a valuable asset in the defense and could be trusted with guarding opponent's leaders. And he is just 22 years old. I am predicting him overtaking main SG spot in NT for years after Seibutis quits.

Grigonis is here to stay. I don't see who or why could challenge his spot in NT in next 5 years at least.

remigijus
08-12-2016, 08:01 AM
Grigonis is here to stay. I don't see who or why could challenge his spot in NT in next 5 years at least.

Tadas Sedekerskis and Marius Grigonis will be near future lithuania's SG duet.

Mindozas
08-12-2016, 08:16 AM
To my Lithuanian friends, it looks like I was onto something with Kuzminskas. The coach found about 10 more minutes than he was averaging and it really paid off.

We wrote you yesterday that Kuzminskas mostly struggles against tough athletic teams like Brazil, Nigeria, so Maciulis was used more and Kuzminskas couldn't play efficiently as PF too. Argentina isn't such, so at the same time Kuzminskas had decent game too

Dreamcatcher
08-12-2016, 09:15 AM
Tadas Sedekerskis and Marius Grigonis will be near future lithuania's SG duet.

Sedekerskis is clear SF. He's not a guard.

Darknemo2000
08-12-2016, 09:24 AM

Last year he was the leader. So stop being a crybaby. His defense is ok, its just that whenever opponent leaves the paint he has troubles. Doesnt close out fast enough and doesn't return fast enough.

Picek
08-12-2016, 09:36 AM
let them have their field day mate - NBA hate is still very strong among some euro fellas, so whenever some established player is having a subpar tournament, they all love to rain the hate on him:) That's nothing new, as all the best players have their fair share of devoted passionate hatersthat is true.
but who is the established NBA player in the team Lithuania?
Kuzminskas just signed for the Knicks, he still needs to play there to call him that.

remigijus
08-12-2016, 09:56 AM
that is true.
but who is the established NBA player in the team Lithuania?

He is talking about JV

remigijus
08-12-2016, 10:00 AM
let me educate you a bit on this game called basketball, as you clearly need some mentoring it seems:)
FIBA game and NBA basketball are two different things on many occasions - plenty of NBA players struggle to adjust to smaller spacing and crowded painted areas in FIBA. That's why you see a lot of offensive fouls from some guys, as they're used to operate one on one in NBA and with 3 second defensive rule defenders just pack the paint and wait to flop whenever the opportunity arises. Refs are usually very inconsistent too in how they interpret the game. It all takes time to adjust to the best of them and some guys never even do. You want some examples of great players struggling in FIBA tournaments? See 5 time NBA champion Tim Duncan having disastrous Olympics in 2004 and the most recent example Boogie from team USA, who is struggling as well. Traditional big men have a tough time in today's FIBA and it's all thanks to specific rules

Yes FIBA game and NBA basketball are different but JV is not american , he's born in europe and all his life played in fiba rules before nba.

Mindozas
08-12-2016, 10:18 AM
I don't know if there's more worthless thing to do in the world than tryin' to prove smth about JV to madmax. That teen lifeguard (https://static01.nyt.com/images/2016/08/05/sports/05LIFEGUARDSweb1/05LIFEGUARDSweb1-master768.jpg)nearby Olympics swimming pool makes more sense :)

Shawshank
08-12-2016, 10:23 AM
How Kalnietis played these first 3 games can i say that Kalnietis and Dellavedova are best PG in this Olympic games so far ? :)

Valanciunas strugles badly ,but we are winning thats ok.We have big reserve in him.

I like alot our teams poise in difficult moments.

Basically there is no chance to finished in 4th place now,so we did our job in group we wont get USA in 1/4.Againts other teams in 1/4 its 50/50 game.

I am suprised we won all 3 games so far in this group,didnt see that happening before Olympics.

Game againts Spain doesnt mean nothing for us,either way we will have to win againts Croatia in last day if we want finish 1st in the group.But for Spain is must win games againts both Lithuania and Argentina,because otherwise they are out or gets Usa in 1/4.

Mindozas
08-12-2016, 10:51 AM
Basically there is no chance to finished in 4th place now,so we did our job in group we wont get USA in 1/4.Againts other teams in 1/4 its 50/50 game.
Game againts Spain doesnt mean nothing for us,either way we will have to win againts Croatia in last day if we want finish 1st in the group.But for Spain is must win games againts both Lithuania and Argentina,because otherwise they are out or gets Usa in 1/4.

There are chances for us to finish 4th ;) If we'll lose both remaining games, there're possibilites of 3-way ties, where we could be losing side, especially if we'll lose vs Spain by big margin

Straight forward
08-12-2016, 12:42 PM
Respect for Argentina. They are old, but still at the same level with top teams. I don't see them winning medals, but Manu is phenomenal and other veterans as well.

Sashikas, I think one of the best things about Grigonis - his passing abilities, his decision making, playing the right way. Just fun to see high IQ 2 again.
Mindozas, I wouldn't say Nacioni is soft, contrary. I see what you mean, but I think Kuzminskas can play tough when he's 100% into the game and provides highest intensity.

I expected 3 wins. Kalnietis exceeded my expectations so far and JV disappoints badly. Even if defences collapse on him, so many times he could still score or grab the ball, but he didn't. He's clearly not in top shape. Ironically it's a good thing for Lithuania and JV should round into the shape eventually. Sabonis so far exceeding expectations as well- how about 2 clutch FT. One poster wrote complete nonsense saying he's soft. I have uncomfortable feeling Lithuania would get more value going with Sabonis in the paint instead of JV right now. So far so good!

PS: winning the boards 51:29 was huge for Lithuania.

Hepcat
08-12-2016, 02:08 PM

Coach Kazlauskas is flexible. He finds/makes the time for the players who are producing on the court. And Mindaugas Kuzminskas really produced yesterday.

:cool:

Beez
08-12-2016, 02:14 PM
This Lithuania team is battle tested team, there arent anything they arent seen.Argentina is very smart team, but those floopings all game long aint beautifull.Proud our guys kept to the plan and do not let argentians get in our heads with their dirty tricks...

It seems we gonna see our old friends in 1/4 game Serbia:)

I didn't love the flopping and the crowd chants. Wrong sport. I found myself rooting for the basketball nation, even though I have a lot of respect for the veteran players on Argentina.

Hepcat
08-12-2016, 02:15 PM

50/50 against Australia. I'm rating Lithuania's chances against France and Serbia to be better than that.

;)

Hepcat
08-12-2016, 03:02 PM
He is talking about JV

I think part of the problem here is that we Team Lietuva fans have such high expectations for Jonas Valančiūnas. We all expect twenty points and fifteen rebounds from him per game. And while he's been hauling down the rebounds, he hasn't been scoring. Quite simply he's not been in a position to rack up the points.

Whether this has been entirely due to the opposition's double teaming or whether Valančiūnas has just not created the opportunities for himself is a question I'll leave to Coach Kazlauskas because I simply don't know. I've noticed in the first two games though that he wasn't in position to take the short jumpers he had added to his arsenal and was making in the friendly games. Once again I can't say why he's not found himself in a position to take these shots.

All he's been doing is playing Raptors' Coach Casey style of basketball. Get the ball in the key and finish the play, i.e. score from under the basket. But under double coverage up close these opportunities have not been presenting themselves. I'll leave it to better basketball minds to find the answer to this "problem", if it is indeed a problem of course. While Valančiūnas hasn't been accumulating the scoring stats, the team has been accumulating the wins.

CHBB
08-12-2016, 03:09 PM
I didn't love the flopping and the crowd chants. Wrong sport. I found myself rooting for the basketball nation, even though I have a lot of respect for the veteran players on Argentina. I love the crowd chants and the passion shown by international fans. We used to have that back when NBA was actually about the basketball.

Beez
08-12-2016, 03:49 PM
I love the crowd chants and the passion shown by international fans. We used to have that back when NBA was actually about the basketball.

Oh, I love the passion. And I agree it's absent from the NBA regular season. I just found the constant singing disconnected from the action (judging from my home, of course. I wasn't there). Appropriate for a boring sport like football with endless stretches without scoring, but basketball is an exciting game of back and forth.

I've attended games at Cameron Indoor Stadium and there is nothing like it. The crowd chants depend on whether Duke is on offense or defense. There are audible gasps from the crowd when the team misses a shot. And completely silence when the other team makes a great play. Of course there is an explosion every time Duke scores. The entire crowd is locked into the immediacy of the game.

CoachZ
08-12-2016, 04:29 PM
Oh, I love the passion. And I agree it's absent from the NBA regular season. I just found the constant singing disconnected from the action (judging from my home, of course. I wasn't there). Appropriate for a boring sport like football with endless stretches without scoring, but basketball is an exciting game of back and forth.

I've attended games at Cameron Indoor Stadium and there is nothing like it. The crowd chants depend on whether Duke is on offense or defense. There are audible gasps from the crowd when the team misses a shot. And completely silence when the other team makes a great play. Of course there is an explosion every time Duke scores. The entire crowd is locked into the immediacy of the game.

National team fans are usually the mild ones, since those are mostly people who can afford to travel to Rio and such stuff. The real atmosphere is on the home games in the club competitions in Europe. Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeoZsAqKWhE

Basically you can see it in their eyes, they have lost this game before playing a single minute.

CHBB
08-12-2016, 04:48 PM

I've attended games at Cameron Indoor Stadium and there is nothing like it. The crowd chants depend on whether Duke is on offense or defense. There are audible gasps from the crowd when the team misses a shot. And completely silence when the other team makes a great play. Of course there is an explosion every time Duke scores. The entire crowd is locked into the immediacy of the game. I actually like that. The constant chanting and singing provides an atmosphere that is unique to international basketball. It's constant, rather than just randomly shouting, etc.

The Big Five and some Big East/AAC games are exactly like that. It's one of the reasons why I prefer those two conferences to the more overrated ones. They play the game as it should be played, and the atmosphere is intense.