PDA

View Full Version : Group B Day 2: Lithuania vs. Nigeria

Dtown
08-09-2016, 02:58 AM
Lithuania looked elite in the first half of their game vs Brazil, then got lost in the locker room apparently. Nigeria was just over matched vs cagey Argentina, it would certainly be an upset to upend Lithuania, but it wouldn't be the first time.

Modis
08-09-2016, 04:32 PM
Perfect game for our bench players to get some minutes.

Mindozas
08-09-2016, 04:44 PM
Lithuania looked elite in the first half of their game vs Brazil, then got lost in the locker room apparently. Nigeria was just over matched vs cagey Argentina, it would certainly be an upset to upend Lithuania, but it wouldn't be the first time.

We didn't need to win back in 2012 OQT. Loss up to 9 or 10pts was enough to stay 1st, it obviously stick into players heads coming on the court, we even almost lost by more than we could afford cause of that. In Olympics itself we didn't have a problems winning ~20pts. This Nigeria without best player Al-Farouq Aminu, without injured Lawal and with no help from Ezeli doesn't look much better. Aminu absence simply can't be matched and is really notable. I hope we learned our lesson, we'll play focused and if so, we should win tonight, hopefully there will be no another nerve-wracking ending

Hepcat
08-09-2016, 05:06 PM
Perfect game for our bench players to get some minutes.

Yes. Hopefully Mantas Kalnietis and Renaldas Seibutis won't end up playing much more than twenty minutes today. They both had far too heavy a workload against Brazil on Sunday.

:eek:

Sakkreth
08-09-2016, 08:06 PM
I see Jon Koncak already voted :D

LDK
08-09-2016, 10:23 PM
Maciulis shooting too much hero balls. And this is not the first game since he is doing that. I would like to see more Kuzminskas.

LDK
08-09-2016, 10:29 PM
Sabonis the best player is benched... the only logic thing is that Kazlauskas wants Diogu 3rd foul against Jankunas.

usagre
08-09-2016, 10:38 PM
Kazlauskas reaction on some of the defensive breakdowns is priceless.

miloje
08-09-2016, 10:42 PM
good game

lets go Nigeria! :cool:

CoachZ
08-09-2016, 10:43 PM
Kazlauskas reaction on some of the defensive breakdowns is priceless.

This is like watching a local pickup game :D When the local kings of the court are feeling all confident, and then a group of dudes shows up out of somewhere and everyone is WTF :D :D :D

usagre
08-09-2016, 10:44 PM
Nice first half by Nigeria. They were clearly embarrassed by their performance against Argentina. Probably not sustainable for the second half but at least they put themselves in position for the upset.

LDK
08-09-2016, 10:45 PM
We are always strugling against athletic Africa teams. Nothing new here... Maciulis is too selfish, turned hero mode. JV must solve some problems in his head. He seems lost 2nd game in a row.

Dreamcatcher
08-09-2016, 10:46 PM
Why Juskevicius is a tourist? He played quite good once in NT. Kariniauskas doing properly as pg that minutes, but he can't shoot.

CoachZ
08-09-2016, 11:04 PM
Arvydas is going to kill him. That was a priceless shot :D :D :D

LDK
08-09-2016, 11:06 PM
Sabonis is improving day by day. And Maciulis seems like is a member of our forum and reads comments here :D

CoachZ
08-09-2016, 11:07 PM
Sabonis is improving day by day. And Maciulis seems like is a member of our forum and reads comments here :D

He is showing a lot of effort Sabonis for sure, but he is also committing a lot of mistakes and turnovers.

R1ou
08-09-2016, 11:08 PM
Fucking Ert.Interrupting the broadcasting of the game to interview a Greek woman who won the gold at shooting.And I'm stuck in a no-Wi-Fi place,using a few data connection to log in at the net and i can't watch the game from my mobile.Rip cowards.

LDK
08-09-2016, 11:15 PM
Pitbull Jonas is on fire :D :D

sashikas
08-09-2016, 11:16 PM
Mačiulis in Georgian mode

Dtown
08-09-2016, 11:44 PM
Good effort from Nigeria far better showing than what China/Venezuela have managed. Still Lithuania was just too much.

BTW thanks Nigeria for fouling with .5 seconds left. That was worth 2 extra points for me.

Sakkreth
08-09-2016, 11:47 PM
Was expecting easier win but wasn't expecting huge blowout either, we never seem comfortable vs African teams.

madmax
08-09-2016, 11:47 PM
another win against another chaotic unpredictable team. Now that we finished playing streetballers from exotic countries, we can finally start playing against civilized and organised teams:cool:

Modis
08-10-2016, 12:10 AM
another win against another chaotic unpredictable team. Now that we finished playing streetballers from exotic countries, we can finally start playing against civilized and organised teams:cool:

So maybe we could excpect Valanciunas to be better against those teams..Seriously we need Valanciunas to be 2014 2015 form if we want to be Medal Contenders, he's game is tragic :(

usagre
08-10-2016, 12:34 AM
I really like Kuzminskas' game. And with him being so versatile with the ability to play multiple positions, I don't understand why he gets limited minutes.

guilherme.rcf
08-10-2016, 12:38 AM

Exotic countries?

R1ou
08-10-2016, 12:44 AM
I really like Kuzminskas' game. And with him being so versatile with the ability to play multiple positions, I don't understand why he gets limited minutes.

Btw as you mentioned him,I do believe that he has to work at the US the upcoming summer.Dude has been more or less stagnant on his game since people were hyping him.I did like him since 2014 WC but his choice to sign with Malaga wasn't the best option out there.It didn't really benefit his game rather than bulding up his confidence on how to lead a team.

Modis
08-10-2016, 12:44 AM

Whats not to understand Maciulis eats his minutes and at 4 his defense is not good enough for him to last longer.

madmax
08-10-2016, 12:45 AM
So maybe we could excpect Valanciunas to be better against those teams..Seriously we need Valanciunas to be 2014 2015 form if we want to be Medal Contenders, he's game is tragic :(

his game is not tragic - we are just not running plays for him because of extra attention he's getting every time he's trying to post up some guy. The quality of some of the entry passes is also horrible. But that's expected in FIBA game, as there is no defensive 3 second violation and there are just too many hands and bodies in the painted area. Wait till we play a more traditional team and he will get more chances to score and post up

usagre
08-10-2016, 12:53 AM
Whats not to understand Maciulis eats his minutes and at 4 his defense is not good enough for him to last longer.

I think guys like Maciulis and Seibutis playing almost 30 minutes a game is not good for the long run. Maybe Kuzminskas can cut a couple of minutes off of that from each.

Hepcat
08-10-2016, 01:37 AM
his game is not tragic - we are just not running plays for him because of extra attention he's getting every time he's trying to post up some guy.

I agree. Valančiūnas is drawing double coverage in the key (not to mention being hacked with impunity in the Brazil game). The problem has been that the Lithuanian team has been failing to exploit the situation by finding the open man.

Modis
08-10-2016, 02:39 AM
I agree. Valančiūnas is drawing double coverage in the key (not to mention being hacked with impunity in the Brazil game). The problem has been that the Lithuanian team has been failing to exploit the situation by finding the open man.

I dont fully agree with this excuse because in 2015 EC players payed more attention to JV no less than now, and in 2014 WC he had some physical battles which were successful, Its worrying becauss if his offense doesn't improve we know JV cant defend.

Mindozas
08-10-2016, 07:35 AM
I think guys like Maciulis and Seibutis playing almost 30 minutes a game is not good for the long run. Maybe Kuzminskas can cut a couple of minutes off of that from each.

What for? Sure, he is a good player, we all like him I suppose, but that's not the reason to artificially increase his playin' time if that's not the best for the team. He has his own flaws, like defense, playin' against physically strong opposition. Maciulis suits way better here, especially when he has game like he had yesterday.
Btw, Seibutis is SG, Kuzminskas couldn't take his minutes

Jon_Koncak
08-10-2016, 09:26 AM
Good effort by Nigeria but Lottermoser and the other refs had none of it.It was hillarious watching Valanciunas travelling every time he got the ball(what a clumsy footwork this guy has).This 4 step travel and dunk in the end of first half was Bodiroga-esque.But once you've been established as a (faux) star you can get away with anything.And the clean steal at the end which would make it a 3 point game.Good pal Lottermoser to the rescue again.

Sakkreth
08-10-2016, 10:14 AM
Good effort by Nigeria but Lottermoser and the other refs had none of it.It was hillarious watching Valanciunas travelling every time he got the ball(what a clumsy footwork this guy has).This 4 step travel and dunk in the end of first half was Bodiroga-esque.But once you've been established as a (faux) star you can get away with anything.And the clean steal at the end which would make it a 3 point game.Good pal Lottermoser to the rescue again.

You have problems. Serious problems.

usagre
08-10-2016, 12:25 PM
What for? Sure, he is a good player, we all like him I suppose, but that's not the reason to artificially increase his playin' time if that's not the best for the team. He has his own flaws, like defense, playin' against physically strong opposition. Maciulis suits way better here, especially when he has game like he had yesterday.
Btw, Seibutis is SG, Kuzminskas couldn't take his minutes

I mean I like him in terms of his playing time helping his team. I am pretty sure that all of Seibutis' minutes aren't at the SG position so maybe Kuzminskas can give him a spell there. Workload for the two might catch up to them and decrease their efficiency. And although Kuzminskas would struggle defensively, it goes both ways. They would have to deal with the mismatch he presents on the other end. I remember him abusing some smaller USA guards for a spell in '14 by posting them up. He's definitely being used properly I think I would just increase it a little.

the_black_planet
08-10-2016, 12:50 PM
Exotic countries?

Don't wonder mate, it's rather usual for most European Bball fans, they are used to a certain style of basketball style and they think that's the proper way to play the game and every different approach, even the NBA teams play (except maybe the Spurs) is more primitive and not right. You can't change their mind, I got used to it! In Greece you see things are even worse, the game is so tactical that it results in restricting players personality and in the long run leads to bad results because of that but only now basketball people here started to realise that tactics is not the goal but the medium ;)

Dtown
08-10-2016, 01:17 PM
Don't wonder mate, it's rather usual for most European Bball fans, they are used to a certain style of basketball style and they think that's the proper way to play the game and every different approach, even the NBA teams play (except maybe the Spurs) is more primitive and not right. You can't change their mind, I got used to it! In Greece you see things are even worse, the game is so tactical that it results in restricting players personality and in the long run leads to bad results because of that but only now basketball people here started to realise that tactics is not the goal but the medium ;)

I think Brazil in this tournament is a great example, first half against Lithuania they had a rigid strategy in mind and it failed badly. Since then they've loosened up and played much better.

Hepcat
08-10-2016, 01:19 PM
I am pretty sure that all of Seibutis' minutes aren't at the SG position....

While in past tournaments Seibutis has spent some time filling in at PG, in the first two games so far this year all of his time on the floor has been in the SG slot. You are however correct in saying that Seibutis is being overworked. He's played almost 57 minutes in two games so far.

Meanwhile rookie substitute guards Marius Grigonis and Vaidas Kariniauskas are a combined 0/10 from the field in the first two games. It's time to give Adas Juškevičius some floor time in relief of Seibutis and Mantas Kalnietis. Juškevičius has in the past demonstrated that he can shoot anyway when the chips are down.

:o

Hepcat
08-10-2016, 01:33 PM

Mindaugas Kuzminskas is mainly a SF but can also be played as a PF when the situation warrants. The reason Kuzminskas played five minutes less against Nigeria than against Brazil is that Jonas Mačiulis had a great game against Nigeria at SF while Domantas Sabonis stepped up his game at PF.

:)

Mindozas
08-10-2016, 02:05 PM
While in past tournaments Seibutis has spent some time filling in at PG, in the first two games so far this year all of his time on the floor has been in the SG slot. You are however correct in saying that Seibutis is being overworked. He's played almost 57 minutes in two games so far.

Meanwhile rookie substitute guards Marius Grigonis and Vaidas Kariniauskas are a combined 0/10 from the field in the first two games. It's time to give Adas Juškevičius some floor time in relief of Seibutis and Mantas Kalnietis. Juškevičius has in the past demonstrated that he can shoot anyway when the chips are down.

:o

Grigonis works his ass off in defense, Kariniauskas too. Against tough teams like Brazil and Nigeria it was really hard to see where Juskevicius could be used, he simply would have very hard time at both ends of the floor. So it was too risky to put him in. I guess he might really see some playin' time against Euros or Argentina

Modis
08-10-2016, 02:53 PM
Grigonis works his ass off in defense, Kariniauskas too. Against tough teams like Brazil and Nigeria it was really hard to see where Juskevicius could be used, he simply would have very hard time at both ends of the floor. So it was too risky to put him in. I guess he might really see some playin' time against Euros or Argentina

I agree but It really wouldn't have hurt to put him in for few minutes when we had a really comfortable lead against Brazil.

Mindozas
08-10-2016, 04:01 PM
I agree but It really wouldn't have hurt to put him in for few minutes when we had a really comfortable lead against Brazil.

If you lead comfortabily in 4th qtr, then of course, but comfortable lead in 1st half isn't guarantee of anything (we even were proved of that :)) and moreover everything went too smooth to use all 12 players in just one half, we needed to build as big lead as possible while we were ridding the momentum

LDK
08-10-2016, 04:17 PM
Juksevicius is crap against serious teams. No way to put him in PG. Kariniauskas shoots bricks, but atleast he doesn't afraid to play pick and roll and organize game. When Juskevicius, Lekavicius or Vasiliauskas is/was our back up PG, they played in offence with their shorts full of shit and was afraid to do something. I remember, that the only thing thei do/did was give the ball to Seibutis or Maciulis and let them organize the game when Mantas was on the bench. Kariniauskas is brave and I like that. For me he is the best back up that Kazlauzkas has tried so far. The only chance for Adas to get some time is to play some mins in SG I think. But Grigonis is better deffender. And I think his shooting ability should come back soon :)

Raze Lupin
08-10-2016, 06:01 PM

We are always strugling against athletic Africa teams. Nothing new here... Maciulis is too selfish, turned hero mode. JV must solve some problems in his head. He seems lost 2nd game in a row.

Was expecting easier win but wasn't expecting huge blowout either, we never seem comfortable vs African teams.

I believe you guys are under valuing the quality of this years Nigerian team. This team was not merely athletic but they were tactical & savvy. Nigeria displayed solid fundamentals on offense and defense. It wasn't just athleticism that made the game competitive it was 3pt shooting, good screens, cuts to the basket etc. On defense it was coordinated and intelligently aggressive. As far as athletic ability I believe the Nigerian team & Lietuva are on similar levels. I've watched the game 3 times and Lietuva more than matched the Nigerians in blocked shots. Lietuva also had a good amount of dunks. I thought that Nigeria would merely be a team that ran fast and jumped high but I was wrong. This team can actually play. Still can't believe they had shooters!!:D:rolleyes: When did Nigeria get shooters?? The talent level is still below Lietuva level. I was impressed by this team.

Hepcat
08-10-2016, 07:00 PM
I agree. I still expect Nigeria to beat somebody before this tournament ends.

:)

Picek
08-10-2016, 07:35 PM
I agree. I still expect Nigeria to beat somebody before this tournament ends.

:)we are their best opportunity for that.
we lost to Senegal at WC 2014., we can easily do that again.
that is the only game which we will be entering as favourites and if it will be a possible qualification game for us it will be even worse.