PDA

View Full Version : Olympic basketball countries facing each other in other olympic sports

JGX
08-06-2016, 02:30 PM
Compensate for your team's basketball failures by bragging about your success in other, less important sports.

Croatia about to beat the US in water polo. Hate to say it, but that is the dullest sport in the Olympics. France against Australia in the archery quarterfinals later.

The Serbian boat tipped over in rowing, how does that even happen?

CoachZ
08-06-2016, 03:10 PM
Compensate for your team's basketball failures by bragging about your success in other, less important sports.

Croatia about to beat the US in water polo. Hate to say it, but that is the dullest sport in the Olympics. France against Australia in the archery quarterfinals later.

Well they were the odds on favorite to win the gold. It had to happen :D We are the country of Murphy's Law :D

judasmartel
08-06-2016, 03:14 PM
We have athletes in boxing, swimming, weightlifting, table tennis, and track events.

I think our best shot is at boxing, but Olympic boxing is at the amateur level which IMO is pretty much anybody's game. IIRC, we have two silver medals in boxing, one by Anthony Villanueva in 1964 and the other by Mansueto Velasco in 1996.

I think we have a shot at weightlifting and track events, but I'm not expecting anything.

Despite being a nation surrounded by water, we suck at swimming.

Man, we may have to face China AGAIN, this time in table tennis.

Mindozas
08-06-2016, 03:15 PM
Tennis: Berankis (LTU) - Millman (AUS). After a tough battle our Asian challenger beast very unluckily lost vs Australian superstar 0-6, 0-6. Djoko now main favorite for the gold

madmax
08-06-2016, 03:21 PM
Our best and probably the only tennis player just lost his opening match to a guy ranked lower than him 0-6 0-6...:rolleyes: So yeah, basketball is yet again our only hope for any success (not really counting women here, as their sports are just inferior)

Mindozas
08-06-2016, 03:38 PM
Our best and probably the only tennis player just lost his opening match to a guy ranked lower than him 0-6 0-6...:rolleyes: So yeah, basketball is yet again our only hope for any success (not really counting women here, as their sports are just inferior)

Yet again... :D Really... yet again? FFS, just give up on sports, it's clearly not for you, including basketball. Since we restored independence, in every Olympics except 1996, men were winning the medals: 2012 - 3, 2008 - 4, 2004 - 2, 2000 and 1992 - 1, but both gold. It's decent achievement for our small country with shitty infrastructure. This year again we hope for medals from Didzbalis, Griskonis/Ritter, will they win it or not none can say now, but sayin' only hope is basketball and that crap about women - it's just stupid

interxavierxxx
08-06-2016, 03:48 PM
Yet again... :D Really... yet again? FFS, just give up on sports, it's clearly not for you, including basketball. Since we restored independence, in every Olympics except 1996, men were winning the medals: 2012 - 3, 2008 - 4, 2004 - 2, 2000 and 1992 - 1, but both gold. It's decent achievement for our small country with shitty infrastructure. This year again we hope for medals from Didzbalis, Griskonis/Ritter, will they win it or not none can say now, but sayin' only hope is basketball and that crap about women - it's just stupid

What is considered the 2nd best sport of Lithuania? I mean a sport that is not necessarily popular but you guys excel at.

madmax
08-06-2016, 04:38 PM

I don't even know who these guys are, but since they are most likely not gunning for gold, my point still stands...after Alekna has retired from professional sport, we don't have any more outstanding individual athletes. As for basketball, that's the only team sport we excel at and are good enough to contend for medals every time. If we were good at anything else besides it, I'd be more than glad to admit it. But that's not the case now, init?:rolleyes:

remigijus
08-06-2016, 04:48 PM
I don't even know who these guys are, but since they are most likely not gunning for gold, my point still stands...after Alekna has retired from professional sport, we don't have any more outstanding individual athletes. As for basketball, that's the only team sport we excel at and are good enough to contend for medals every time. If we were good at anything else besides it, I'd be more than glad to admit it. But that's not the case now, init?:rolleyes:

So for you Meilutyte is not outstanding athlete? =D

madmax
08-06-2016, 04:54 PM
she probably is, but since she's a woman, I'm not gonna include her in the company of the guys...:D Our ladies are doing fine, I'll give you that. Hopefully they'll salvage our reputation by winning the medals again

Straight forward
08-06-2016, 04:59 PM
What is considered the 2nd best sport of Lithuania? I mean a sport that is not necessarily popular but you guys excel at.

Second football (boring choice), than figure skating, track and field athletics, dances and auto sports. Now swimming is also very popular I'm guessing, mainly because of champ Meilutyte.

remigijus
08-06-2016, 05:07 PM
she probably is, but since she's a woman, I'm not gonna include her in the company of the guys...:D Our ladies are doing fine, I'll give you that. Hopefully they'll salvage our reputation by winning the medals again

Like countrie with 3 millions we are doing really good believe me. In London olympics we managed to be higher in medal table than such countries us Canada , Argentina,Serbia, Belgium, Portugal,Ireland , Sweden.

JGX
08-06-2016, 05:24 PM
French archer who is even fatter than Diaw chokes in the last round, Australia beats them to advance to the semifinal.

Picek
08-06-2016, 06:04 PM
Croatia about to beat the US in water polo. Hate to say it, but that is the dullest sport in the Olympics.

dullest just because USA mainly sucks at it?:p
joking aside, team US is lead by a great serbian coach, Azevedo used to play in Croatia.
US team is young, already preparing itself for tokyo games when they should peak.
if Udovicic will be leading them for entire four years until then, don't be surprised if US wins gold there even if it is a "european sport".

btw. even with this win today we still have negative record against US at the olympics (in waterpolo) even if we are a better team.
Serbia will probably dethrone us as the new olympic champion.

being a handball and sports fanatic myself I will be spending as much time as possible following the games.
there was a great women handball game Brasil - Norway today, Brasil winning rather easily. (btw. Brasil is reigning world champion in handball which was their first gold ever).

I visited London olympics, wanted to be in Rio as well but couldn't make it unfortunately, but already planning for Tokyo olympics. and also to take my son with me.
it is simply a special feeling just being there..
everyone should visit the games at least once in their lifetime..

Hepcat
08-06-2016, 06:14 PM

Cycling and discus are I believe the two sports where Lithuanian athletes have won the most medals.

:cool:

Hepcat
08-06-2016, 06:20 PM
This year again we hope for medals from Didzbalis....

What a great name for an athlete! Mr. Big Balls!

Picek
08-06-2016, 06:31 PM
one of the favorites for the gold in cycling, Vincenzo Nibali just crashed badly some 10 km before the finish line..
after 220 km he drove today and while he was in a great position for gold..

Hepcat
08-06-2016, 08:05 PM

Talk about losing decisively! Hopefully they could swim better than they could row,,,,

:eek:

JGX
08-06-2016, 08:25 PM
Damn, that is some impressive archery by the Koreans.

Double Olympic matchup at the moment as the US is playing France in women's soccer and Argentina in field hockey. And Puerto Rico in volleyball, which is probably the only sport where those teams will be meeting in the Olympics anytime soon :)

Picek
08-06-2016, 08:45 PM
Talk about losing decisively! Hopefully they could swim better than they could row,,,,

:eek:they actually appealed after the race, made an appeal against bad conditions.
appeal was successful and they will get a second chance in a repechage..

Mindozas
08-06-2016, 09:47 PM

You don't even know them and still sayin' smth about chances? :D And your point doesn't stand at all as you wrote complete nonsense previously "basketball is yet again our only hope for any success". It wasn't and it isn't only hope. And if you don't count these guys, cause they are not running for gold (according to you, again), so why you mentioning basketball at all? Our chances of winning gold are close to none, like it was in most Olympics we played. There goes your point. Good night

miloje
08-07-2016, 06:17 AM
Croatia about to beat the US in water polo.

Šarić was there! :D

Ashtrusis_dantis
08-07-2016, 07:07 AM
What a great name for an athlete! Mr. Big Balls!

Didžbalis means big morass, not big balls. So don't get excited. :)

Ashtrusis_dantis
08-07-2016, 07:09 AM
You don't even know them and still sayin' smth about chances? :D And your point doesn't stand at all as you wrote complete nonsense previously "basketball is yet again our only hope for any success". It wasn't and it isn't only hope. And if you don't count these guys, cause they are not running for gold (according to you, again), so why you mentioning basketball at all? Our chances of winning gold are close to none, like it was in most Olympics we played. There goes your point. Good night

You are surprised that madmax is ignorant and not very clever person? After all that time? Common... :)

unnamed
08-07-2016, 08:46 AM

In terms of dullest team sports nothing beats handball. Referees are such a factor there, plus for a sport with a lot of scoring many things are undefined.

JGX
08-07-2016, 03:11 PM
This thread took an unexpected turn.

USA gonna get killed by Australia in women's rugby a little later.

JGX
08-07-2016, 04:52 PM
USA gonna get killed by Australia in women's rugby a little later.

Wow. US actually had the better of the game and almost won but Australia scored on the last play of the game to force get the draw. Should be enough to get the US into the quarterfinals.

JGX
08-07-2016, 07:57 PM
Philippines grabbing a weightlifting medal.

Picek
08-07-2016, 09:00 PM
Canada playing great, leading 2-0 (25-23, 25-17) against team USA in volleyball...

Brasil men handball team winning against Poland.
Brasil ladies won in handball and volleyball, brasil men teams won their waterpolo game, volleyball game, winning in their first handball game.
but both women and men basketball teams lost their openers.

edit: Brasil won their handball game against Poland.
having watched both Brasil men and women handball teams and both men and women basketball teams in their opening game.
I must say atmosphere in the stands was much better in favour of handball.
of course winning and playing great helped but both teams were under dogs in their games before they started.
this actually come as a surprise 'cause Brasil has a longer basketball tradition in both men and women sport.

Kosovo won it's first olympic medal ever.
and it is a gold one, won in judo.

edit edit: Canada surprisingly won 3-0 against USA (25-23, 25-17, 25-23).

Hepcat
08-07-2016, 11:07 PM
Didžbalis means big morass, not big balls. So don't get excited. :)

I was just being silly by combining Lithuanian with English.

;)

Hepcat
08-07-2016, 11:21 PM
Canada playing great, leading 2-0 (25-23, 25-17) against team USA in volleyball...

edit: Canada surprisingly won 3-0 against USA (25-23, 25-17, 25-23).

Yay!

Picek
08-08-2016, 01:57 AM
don't know how many of you watch tennis.
but Juan Martin Del Potro just beat Novak Đoković 7-6, 7-6 in the first round match..
unbelievable match and play from both.
both players in tears after the match.
Delpo deserved this after everything he has been through in his career.
world's best player finished the match without a single break point in the match.

JGX
08-08-2016, 02:12 AM
Seems like the swimmers are breaking WRs by even bigger margins than they usually do. That is some Usain Bolt territory for Peaty.

usagre
08-08-2016, 03:00 AM
Michael Phelps gold medal #19

R1ou
08-08-2016, 01:16 PM
don't know how many of you watch tennis.
but Juan Martin Del Potro just beat Novak Đoković 7-6, 7-6 in the first round match..
unbelievable match and play from both.
both players in tears after the match.
Delpo deserved this after everything he has been through in his career.
world's best player finished the match without a single break point in the match.

Felt really sad for Djokovic.Just a pity that some great athletes never won a gold medal there.Hope he bounce back at Tokyo

Meanwhile Serbia-Greece 9-9 at a tight water polo match.We even were up by 4 goals but the relaxation which happened to Lithuania yesterday hit us.

Jon_Koncak
08-08-2016, 04:06 PM
Meanwhile Serbia-Greece 9-9 at a tight water polo match.We even were up by 4 goals but the relaxation which happened to Lithuania yesterday hit us.

.Being up 4 goals on waterpolo isnt the same us being 30 in basketball,not even close.And noone relaxed,Serbia is just a better team.

MZT Skopje
08-08-2016, 05:20 PM
Part from basketball I love handball too so I follow that too. Think that France will win mens olympic tournament probably aginst Germany in the finale who are on the rise again in mens handball. Brazil will win the womens tournament.

Brazil could have won medal in mens tournament too if only Borges (Montpellier), Ferreira Moraes (Kiel/Vardar), Malburg Patrianova (Celje) and Nacimento would have playd.

Handball is mostly an european sport actually among top 2-3 sport in several nations in europe even big a few big nations. But nice to see Brazilian progress also Angola, Qatar who won silver medal at WC and destroyd Croatia.

JGX
08-08-2016, 06:05 PM
US beat Australia in field hockey after beating Argentina on Saturday. 1984 is the only time we've won a medal so starting off with two straight wins against traditional powers is impressive.

Picek
08-08-2016, 07:24 PM
we got our first medal and it is a gold one.
we have a second trap shooting gold medalist.
Cernogoraz in London and Glasnović now.

JGX
08-09-2016, 01:58 AM
Brazil-Argentina women's volleyball up now...looks like a packed arena for once.

bballcrazy
08-09-2016, 05:31 AM
China sucks at basketball, but they are good at table tennis and badminton.
Weirdly, their men sucks at team sports but their women's basketball and volleyball are pretty good.

McCalebb2015
08-09-2016, 05:42 AM
China sucks at basketball, but they are good at table tennis and badminton.
Weirdly, their men sucks at team sports but their women's basketball and volleyball are pretty good.

Yeah. I admit Gilas NT is better China NT.

miloje
08-09-2016, 06:18 AM
today we are playing vs argentina in basketball and handball. i think games start at same time

MZT Skopje
08-09-2016, 08:48 AM
Argentina missing Diego Simonet in handball. Only playmaker they have.

Picek
08-09-2016, 06:03 PM
this is why I love olympics, columbian Figueroa wins gold and retires full of emotions

rtfSHUKuc58

usagre
08-10-2016, 01:37 AM
USA basketball team in attendance as Michael Phelps wins gold #20.

judasmartel
08-10-2016, 01:41 AM
Philippines grabbing a weightlifting medal.

We finally got a medal after 20 years! And it's another silver!

It's supposed to a bronze, by the way, until the Chinese weightlifter failed hard trying to lift 126 kg in Clean and Jerk when she only needs 113 to get the gold.

Vietnam got its first gold medal in the 10m air pistol event. But that's not the real cause of celebration there, it's Vietnam beating China all the way to the gold.

miloje
08-10-2016, 09:45 AM
today we are playing waterpolo vs spain. interesting thing is that best spanish player is playing for our selection. dont know why, i think he had some argues with their coach. weird situation

Picek
08-10-2016, 10:07 AM
today we are playing waterpolo vs spain. interesting thing is that best spanish player is playing for our selection. dont know why, i think he had some argues with their coach. weird situationthey decided that they don't need him.
and as he has been living for some time in Croatia while playing for croatian clubs he received a citizenship as well. just before the OG he was approved by FINA that he can also play for our NT.

MZT Skopje
08-10-2016, 05:04 PM
Croatia handball team so lucky. Feel so pity for Argentina. First Diego Simonet out than this.

Brazilian girls lost, big suprise.

Picek
08-10-2016, 11:39 PM
Brasil just won against Serbia in waterpolo 6-5.
that is almost like if aussies would win against US.
a shocker.

JGX
08-11-2016, 02:00 AM
Belmonte from Spain edges out an Australian for a rare swmming gold.

miloje
08-11-2016, 02:33 PM
rowing just now. lithuania or croatia? fight for gold

LDK
08-11-2016, 02:51 PM
rowing just now. lithuania or croatia? fight for gold

Nice battle! Congrats with 1st place. Maybe the revenge will be in basketball? :D

Hepcat
08-11-2016, 03:22 PM
Yes! Lietuva now needs revenge on the court! Coack Kazlauskas should impress that upon his charges.

;)

Mr Chacho
08-11-2016, 03:51 PM
Nadal is playing now vs Simon (FRA) , after he will play with Marc López at doubles semifinal (vs CAN), and after he will play the mix doubles with Muguruza (vs CHR). 3 games in the same day.

Mr Chacho
08-11-2016, 03:52 PM
today we are playing waterpolo vs spain. interesting thing is that best spanish player is playing for our selection. dont know why, i think he had some argues with their coach. weird situation

Xavi García was the best spanish player, but now there is some better players in his position. He talked with our coach and he decided to join the Croatian NT after that talk.

JGX
08-12-2016, 03:39 AM
US with a huge volleyball win over Brazil...major upset over the Australians in the women's 100 free...beat France for gold in judo as well...big day

Picek
08-12-2016, 01:13 PM
Lochte won gold and defeated Phelps.
or did he?
https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4-mobile/0s9a.mp4

:D

Nadal is playing now vs Simon (FRA) , after he will play with Marc López at doubles semifinal (vs CAN), and after he will play the mix doubles with Muguruza (vs CHR). 3 games in the same day.

he and Muguruza pulled out of the competition.
but he is looking locked and ready. impressive performance so far considering he missed last two months of the season.

Mr Chacho
08-12-2016, 04:07 PM
he and Muguruza pulled out of the competition.
but he is looking locked and ready. impressive performance so far considering he missed last two months of the season.

Smart decision, he can win 2 golds (singles is complicated with Murray).

Picek
08-12-2016, 06:11 PM
Smart decision, he can win 2 golds (singles is complicated with Murray).I doubt he can win Murray.
Murray survived Fognini yesterday where Fognini was 3-0 up in the third, on serve.
today he survived Johnson being up 4-3 on serve in third.
this will lift him up mentally and he is now simply a better player then Nadal is.
of course these are olympics and you can never tell but I don't see Murray losing that match if it happens.
but it's a long way to go for both of them.
Monfils has been playing extremely good, and Delpo at it's best like against Đoković can win anyone.

Picek
08-12-2016, 06:46 PM
Sweden kicked Hope "Zika" Solo and team USA out of the tournament.
women football.
a shocker.

JGX
08-13-2016, 01:19 AM
Singapore takes their first-ever Olympic gold in the men's 100 fly! Phelps, Le Clos, and Cseh all tie for second which is amazing and kind of hilarious. I swear, every swimmer below the age of 25 had their picture taken with Michael Phelps when they were a kid.

JGX
08-13-2016, 02:01 AM
Michelle Carter stuns Valerie Adams in the last throw in the shot put. Tough losses this year for the Adams family...

Picek
08-13-2016, 07:35 AM
Nadal won gold in mens double.
in the single semis it is Nadal - Del Potro and Nishikori - Murray.
Monfil had 6-3 lead in the decisive tie breaker against Nishikori, he lost that tie breaker 8-6.

Picek
08-13-2016, 05:55 PM
our rower Damir Martin lost a gold medal for 7 thousands of a second.
not hundreds of a second, but thousands.
he was originally proclaimed as gold medal winner and unfortunately some 4-5 minutes later Mahe Drysdale was proclaimed as a gold medal winner.
take a look at this:

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/764457821085786113/photo/1

after the race he received medical help as he was exhausted.

Picek
08-13-2016, 08:27 PM
argentinian night in Rio today.
Del Potro winning a third set tie breaker against Nadal and winning a medal, again.
after all he has been through, well deserved Delpo, well deserved..
too bad for Nadal, but there is nothing he should feel sorry about.

Mr Chacho
08-13-2016, 09:30 PM
argentinian night in Rio today.
Del Potro winning a third set tie breaker against Nadal and winning a medal, again.
after all he has been through, well deserved Delpo, well deserved..
too bad for Nadal, but there is nothing he should feel sorry about.

The game was something TITANIC!!! Nadal was on the limit and played with all he had, deserved Juan Martín. My idol since I watched him for first time in 2005 Madrid Open's final vs Ivan Ljubicic.
Gold and broze would be amazing after that 2 months.

JGX
08-13-2016, 10:27 PM
US dropping France in volleyball. A win over Mexico should be enough to get them into the quarterfinals.

Picek
08-13-2016, 10:33 PM
Monica Puig (good looking btw) one game away from winning the first gold medal ever for Puerto Rico.
not first gold medal in tennis, first gold olympic medal ever..
it will be a crazy night in PR if she wins it.

edit: Puig defeated Kerber

Picek
08-14-2016, 07:43 PM
Nishikori won a bronze against Nadal
he was up 6-2, *5-2 but Nadal came back and won the second set in a tie braker.
after losing second set Nishikori went to locker rooms and was there for too long.
he won the third set 6-3 but didn't win any new fans and Nadal did congratulate but looked angry as hell.
Nadal is a warrior.

Mr Chacho
08-14-2016, 07:49 PM
Nishikori won a bronze against Nadal
he was up 6-2, *5-2 but Nadal came back and won the second set in a tie braker.
after losing second set Nishikori went to locker rooms and was there for too long.
he won the third set 6-3 but didn't win any new fans and Nadal did congratulate but looked angry as hell.
Nadal is a warrior.

Nadal won't be the best player of all times technically; Federer, Djokovic and even Murray are better. But Rafa has the strongest mentality in the history of this sport. You must kill him 3 times until winning.

Picek
08-14-2016, 09:00 PM
disgrace at waterpolo tournament.
first Greece tanked against Australia, then Italy tanked against USA and the biggest disgrace is our waterpolo team tanking and losing against France.
I hope we will be kicked out from the tournament for this.

the reason why we did it? we didn't want to win the group and play Serbia in the quarterfinal.

Mr Chacho
08-14-2016, 09:05 PM
first Greece tanked against Australia, then Italy tanked against USA and the biggest disgrace is our waterpolo team tanking and losing against France.

the reason why we did it? we didn't want to win the group and play Serbia in the quarterfinal.

Spain vs Montenegro was a very relaxed and equal game. 9-9

Picek
08-14-2016, 09:12 PM
Spain vs Montenegro was a very relaxed and equal game. 9-9I didn't want to include that one as none of those teams gained anything with that game considering they were the first to play.
but yes, that one was also fishy.

Jon_Koncak
08-14-2016, 09:17 PM

it's really disgraceful..it's a cancer spreading in every team sport.And it's usually "smart" europeans doing it..I mentioned it in another thread.Until IOC or federations ban tanking teams they will never stop doing it...Some ppl paid money to watch.. How ironic that only badminton federation had the guts to disqualify some offenders 4 years ago

Jon_Koncak
08-14-2016, 09:25 PM
re waterpolo..what's even funnier is that France qualified to Rio as a result of another..tank job

Investigation launched after Canadian water polo victory sparks match-throwing controversy

Usually a decisive victory is cause to celebrate, but not if you're a fan or member of the Canadian men's water polo team.

Last week Canada handed France a 13- 5 drubbing in the final round-robin game of the Olympic qualifying tournament in Italy. Many who watched the game say it was obvious France threw the match.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/investigation-launched-after-canadian-water-polo-victory-sparks-match-throwing-controversy-1.3533896

it's an interesting article..canadian guy mentions the badminton example also and is 100% right..

Picek
08-14-2016, 09:26 PM
it's really disgraceful..it's a cancer spreading in every team sport.And it's usually "smart" europeans doing it..I mentioned it in another thread.Until IOC or federations ban tanking teams they will never stop doing it...Some ppl paid money to watch.. How ironic that only badminton federation had the guts to disqualify some offenders 4 years agoFIVB has solved that to some extent.
in volleyball first in each group plays fourth in the other group while 2. and 3. go into a draw again.
so it can happen 2. and 3. from each group play each other again in the quarter finals.
or third plays third for example.
not a perfect solution but better then this.

R1ou
08-14-2016, 09:34 PM

Tricky games.We played rather relaxed and soft having already qualified.Obviously we wanted to avoid Montenegro,as we did by losing and making sure we won't be first in the group.Now we can be either 2nd/3rd/4th,depending on the results of the upcoming games.

We are 4th if Brazil-Hungary ends draw and Serbia wins with 4+ against Japan.

We are 3rd if Brazil wins and Serbia beats Japan with +4

We are second if the game has a winner and Serbia wins with -4.

Why Croatia tanked btw?They were already placed 2nd after Italy lost.

Picek
08-14-2016, 09:39 PM
Why Croatia tanked btw?They were already placed 2nd after Italy lost.with a win against France we would be first in our group with 8 points, Spain second with 7.
in 100 games France could maybe beat us in 1 game.. maybe.

usagre
08-14-2016, 09:41 PM
it's really disgraceful..it's a cancer spreading in every team sport.And it's usually "smart" europeans doing it..I mentioned it in another thread.Until IOC or federations ban tanking teams they will never stop doing it...Some ppl paid money to watch.. How ironic that only badminton federation had the guts to disqualify some offenders 4 years ago

It's disgusting. The teams doing this should make a statement beforehand that they intend to tank thereby letting the paying customers know. Play in an empty arena with no tv coverage and do whatever you like. It's horrible. Or even better just forfeit the game and spare us. If both teams want to tank then just flip a coin and get it over with.

R1ou
08-14-2016, 09:55 PM
It's disgusting. The teams doing this should make a statement beforehand that they intend to tank thereby letting the paying customers know. Play in an empty arena with no tv coverage and do whatever you like. It's horrible. Or even better just forfeit the game and spare us. If both teams want to tank then just flip a coin and get it over with.

That goes to NBA teams which decide to tank for a higher draft pick?

Mr Chacho
08-14-2016, 10:02 PM
That goes to NBA teams who decide to tank for a higher draft pick?

Not, because the NBA is the supermegahyper best league in any sport and can't be criticized.

ThePeraCar
08-14-2016, 10:44 PM
Serbia is losing to japan in waterpolo lol

Picek
08-15-2016, 12:05 AM
Murray wins gold..
first one ever to win two golds in a row..
but an epic, epic, epic match.
vamos Delpo.
4:02 hours on court today.
Delpo with over 3 hours yesterday.

usagre
08-15-2016, 12:36 AM
That goes to NBA teams which decide to tank for a higher draft pick?

Of course it does it goes for them too. That's why there's a lottery. At best you are only guaranteed a 25% chance at the top pick. But those are the bottom feeders of the league I really couldnt care less for a bunch of losers. These teams are teams that are trying to win gold and are behaving like this. Big difference.

usagre
08-15-2016, 12:39 AM
Not, because the NBA is the supermegahyper best league in any sport and can't be criticized.

It should be criticized when warranted. And of course it's the best league in any sport. That's why every player your country has ever produced that is worthy has played in it.

Big Lebowski
08-15-2016, 07:58 AM
Italy won 4 of its 7 gold medals in shooting, 1 in fencing and 1 in judo (the 7th one in swimming); then Italy won 3 of its 7 silver medals in shooting, 2 in fencing and 1 in judo: Italy may be total pointless in sports but is seems it can easily win World War III...

Mr Chacho
08-15-2016, 11:02 AM
It should be criticized when warranted. And of course it's the best league in any sport. That's why every player your country has ever produced that is worthy has played in it.

Fran Vázquez was picked in 11th position and he rejected the NBA, and Houston Rockets offered to Sergio Llull a 6 million dollars per year deal and he also rejected.

Do you believe me if I told you that I have seen more MLB games entirely than NBA games?

About waterpolo, Croatia and Italy lost their games because they don't want to face Serbia in QF. Spain did the job and we ended 1st. I want to hear all that people who complained 4 years ago at basketball about what Spain did. Doesn't matter, we will fight vs Serbia, providing a great show although we lose.

R1ou
08-15-2016, 11:17 AM
Fran Vázquez was picked in 11th position and he rejected the NBA, and Houston Rockets offered to Sergio Llull a 6 million dollars per year deal and he also rejected.

Do you believe me if I told you that I have seen more MLB games entirely than NBA games?

About waterpolo, Croatia and Italy lost their games because they don't want to face Serbia in QF. Spain did the job and we ended 1st. I want to hear all that people who complained 4 years ago at basketball about what Spain did. Doesn't matter, we will fight vs Serbia, providing a great show although we lose.

Wouldn't really bet on a sure loss,Serbia doesn't look convincing.And this year's Spanish team could be able to give a run for their money

We finished 3rd eventually,which I never understood why.Ok we avoid Montenegr,but then we play against the winner of Serbia-Spain.Didn't we want to face Serbia as late as possible?Has we finished first,we would play with the winner of Braz-Croatia.Better if you ask me.

Mr Chacho
08-15-2016, 11:21 AM
Wouldn't really bet on a sure loss,Serbia doesn't look convincing.And this year's Spanish team could be able to give a run for their money

We finished 3rd eventually,which I never understood why.Ok we avoid Montenegr,but then we play against the winner of Serbia-Spain.Didn't we want to face Serbia as late as possible?Has we finished first,we would play with the winner of Braz-Croatia.Better if you ask me.

On the spanish TV, the commentators said that the team who was playing better for them was Greece, and they didn't want to face Greece in QF.

We did a very good group stage, we lost stupidly vs Italy when we had the games in our hands, and we won all the games except the draw with Montenegro, good feelings, but Serbia is always Serbia (I still remember the painful lose in the 2009 WC final on penalties).

Picek
08-16-2016, 12:19 AM
Canada is leading 2-0 against uninterested Italy who will top the group anyway.
Italy will lose in 3.
that means Brasil - France will be a fight for survival.
loser goes home.
it's going to be a great volleyball game.
Brasil exiting after first round in volleyball would almost be more painful then that 7-1 loss to Germany in football.

JGX
08-16-2016, 12:32 AM
Turns out it's hard to throw a discus in the rain. Perkovic in some difficulty after fouling he first two throws.

Picek
08-16-2016, 12:36 AM
Turns out it's hard to throw a discus in the rain. Perkovic in some difficulty after fouling he first two throws.she will have an extremely hard last throw.
not what she expected but the heavy rain turned everything upside down.

but it's not only her having problems.
Caballero is in a same situation. she could be out as well.

Picek
08-16-2016, 12:45 AM
pfff.
that was close.
she almost stepped out of the circle.

Caballero got through as well.

with the schedule being late because of rain second group is in for a long night.
finals are tomorrow at 11:20 so they will have only couple of hours of sleep.
don't know which idiot made schedule for athletics.

edit:
Italy started with it's strongest lineup in third and won it easily (actually Zaytsev, their best player, was the only one from the regular lineup who didn't start in the first two sets)
same, strongest, lineup starting in the fourth.

edit 2: Canada won 3-1 and is in the quartefinals.
Brasil or France are out

JGX
08-16-2016, 02:46 AM
France versus Brazil for the pole vault gold at the same time as the volleyball. I think Lavillenie has it locked up though.

JGX
08-16-2016, 02:52 AM
France versus Brazil for the pole vault gold at the same time as the volleyball. I think Lavillenie has it locked up though.

¡¡¡Thiago Braz just cleared 6.03!!!

Picek
08-16-2016, 02:56 AM
¡¡¡Thiago Braz just cleared 6.03!!!
huge..
new olympic record.
even Bubka couldn't achieve this.

Picek
08-16-2016, 04:34 PM
our Filip Hrgović enters the semifinal in mens super heavy (and wins at least a bronze medal) with a technical knockout over Cuba's Leinier Pero.
try and find it somewhere.
great right cross punch knocked him out.

ThePeraCar
08-16-2016, 05:58 PM
Hard win today vs Spain but im happy for these guys in water polo

R1ou
08-16-2016, 08:17 PM
This one sucks.We play so poor against Italy.

reamily
08-16-2016, 08:32 PM
So water polo a basketball in pool sport also dominated by Yugoslavian countries?

R1ou
08-16-2016, 08:37 PM
So water polo a basketball in pool sport also dominated by Yugoslavian countries?

Mostly.Croatia,Serbia,Montenegro and Greece from Balkans,and Italy Hungary and Spain from the rest Europe.USA as well.

ThePeraCar
08-16-2016, 09:23 PM

Serbia mostly, its more of a handball in pool

reamily
08-16-2016, 09:27 PM
Serbia mostly, its more of a handball in pool

I always thought Handball as basketball in goalpost..

And upon curiosity checked the rio handball site and why I am still surprised on the composition of the Qatar handball team .

ThePeraCar
08-16-2016, 09:33 PM

And upon curiosity checked the rio handball site and why I am still surprised on the composition of the Qatar handball team .

money

Picek
08-17-2016, 04:30 PM
Brazil on it's way to the olympic games football final.
up 2-0 against Honduras.
waiting for Germany to do it's part.

Italian Pride
08-17-2016, 04:43 PM
Our girls of waterpolo"Setterosa"have been amazing, defeat Russia and now we'll play for the golden medal!

for the men will be very hard against Serbia but i trust in them!

i think we have good chance to achieve a great result with volleyball,but we'll see!

Picek
08-17-2016, 04:56 PM
i think we have good chance to achieve a great results with volleyball,but we'll see!men team has been playing fantastic, Zaytsev & Gianelli especially. Juantorena right behind them
obviously world league F6 was used as preparation tournament for the olympics 'cause there it was totally different story.

but what about the ladies, Bonita totally missed it with the selection.

yesterday was the first day of the olympics I couldn't stay awake later then midnight so I missed Brasil - China women game..
China won and created a huge dissapointment for the hosts.
pressure obviously hurt them, chinese played nothing special so far but Lang Ping did her magic.

also, Serbia played extraordinary against Russia, Bošković served 101 km/h. destroyed them at every level. Russia looked like a second tier team.

Italian Pride
08-17-2016, 05:13 PM
men team has been playing fantastic, Zaytsev & Gianelli especially. Juantorena right behind them
obviously world league F6 was used as preparation tournament for the olympics 'cause there it was totally different story.

but what about the ladies, Bonita totally missed it with the selection.

Yes finally we have a true leader like Gianelli,better by far than Travica!

abot women we have a very young team,i expect good results in the next years!

pohani komarac
08-17-2016, 05:15 PM

https://www.google.hr/?gws_rd=ssl#q=katar+hanball+team&mie=oly%2C%5B%22%2Fm%2F03krj%22%2C6%2C%22a%22%2Cnu ll%2Cnull%2Cnull%2Cnull%2Cnull%2Cnull%2Cnull%2Cnul l%2C%22%2Fm%2F012w49b3%22%2Cnull%2C%22%2Fm%2F05zpp z%22%5D

JGX
08-18-2016, 01:30 AM
Americans hold off Serbia in the women's long jump.

Obina
08-18-2016, 09:25 AM
Yes but this is great result for Ivana. :)

We have 3 medals for now, Ivana Spanovic, Davor Stefanek and Tijana Bogdanovic. And we are waiting for semifinals in basketball M and W, voleyball and waterpolo. In kayak we also can expect something...

It's obviously that Serbia is better in team sports than invidual. :D

MZT Skopje
08-18-2016, 11:46 AM
Handball:

France, Germany, Denmark and Poland in semifinal.

Heja heja.

Mr Chacho
08-18-2016, 01:40 PM
Kayaks are saving us. Marcus Cooper gold 2 day ago, and today gold from Craviotto and Toro.

Hortelano did a great performance at the 200 m, but it was very difficult to be in the final, but he has provided that nowadays he is the fastest white in the world. Ortega was also silver at 110 m fences.

Carolina Marín will play the final at badminton, he can achieve the triple crown (JJOO, world championship and european chamionship).

Mindozas
08-18-2016, 01:51 PM
Kayaks are saving us. Marcus Cooper gold 2 day ago, and today gold from Craviotto and Toro.

That was good race for us too, 4th medal, this time bronze for Lankas/Ramanauskas. So far besides weightlifting (1 bronze), rowing and kayaks brought all the rest medals - 1 silver and 2 bronzes.
Today our last realistic hope for gold - Asadauskaite started to compete in modern pentathlon. Had amazing opportunity to attend her winning gold in London, hope she can repeat that success

Picek
08-18-2016, 05:29 PM
Marenić & Fantela winning a gold in 470 men sailing..
our first sailing gold ever, couple of days ago we won our first ever sailing medal (that one also should have been a gold one).

our waterpolo cheaters entered the tournament final by winning easily against Montenegro in the semis.

CoachZ
08-18-2016, 06:05 PM
Just like that, the girls take out Team USA in Volleyball Semi Final! Another medal, and after trashing Russia and winning vs USA, we will probably be favorites for the gold.

reamily
08-18-2016, 06:13 PM
in the Philippines the country would be ecstatic for the womens volleyball just to be in the finals of asian games as really the sport is the 2 most popular team sport and undisputed no. 1 among the women..

Obina
08-18-2016, 06:15 PM
Just like that, the girls take out Team USA in Volleyball Semi Final! Another medal, and after trashing Russia and winning vs USA, we will probably be favorites for the gold.

Amazing game. This is huge achievement!

Mr Chacho
08-18-2016, 09:41 PM
Spain is in the final at the basketball women tournament after beat Serbia in a great game, we suffer to much vs Turkey (thanks Anna Cruz).

JGX
08-19-2016, 12:35 AM
Serbia doing really well in the team sports, maybe someone can calculate a "real" medal table where they actually count how many medals are handed out (i.e. one for each athlete in a team sport).

Liking this new generation of non-choking American shotputters.

Beez
08-19-2016, 12:44 AM
Serbia doing really well in the team sports, maybe someone can calculate a "real" medal table where they actually count how many medals are handed out (i.e. one for each athlete in a team sport).

Liking this new generation of non-choking American shotputters.

The Chinese are killing it in individual medals. Not so much in team sports. That seems counterintuitive.

Picek
08-19-2016, 01:35 AM
Sara Kolak winning a gold medal in women javelin throw
unbelievable, fucking unbelievable...
21 year old kid.

our fifth gold medal on the olympics.
crazy..

Picek
08-19-2016, 02:53 PM
Ryan Lochte issued a statement regarding the "I was robbed by policemen who held a gun on my head" incident.
http://www.espn.com/olympics/swimming/story/_/id/17345172/us-swimmer-ryan-lochte-apologizes-much-more-responsible

idiot.

Picek
08-19-2016, 04:35 PM
Italy - USA 1-0 (30-28)

incredible volleyball..

Picek
08-19-2016, 06:29 PM
Italians prevailing at the end.
game of ups and downs for both teams.
incredible game.
amazing performance by Zaytsev.

reamily
08-19-2016, 07:49 PM
Sorry just for betting purposes, who is the favorite between Serbia and Croatia in Water Polo?

I think I just answer my own question..

Picek
08-19-2016, 08:23 PM
Sorry just for betting purposes, who is the favorite between Serbia and Croatia in Water Polo?

I think I just answer my own question..Serbia is..
they have been beating us heavily in the last couple of years.
not just us but everyone else and they finally look close to their best here.
I will be really surprised if they lose this one.

reamily
08-19-2016, 08:25 PM
Serbia is..
dont be humble, yes I am looking for their matchup the previous years as obviously historical wise, Croatia has been well decorated in Water Polo but recently its Serbia's time but i think the big stage is still the olympics..

Obina
08-19-2016, 08:40 PM
Serbia is..

Imo it's 50/50 game.

Maybe we are stronger but some croatian players are in great shape. Especially Sukno and Vijac...

Picek
08-19-2016, 09:05 PM
dont be humble, yes I am looking for their matchup the previous years as obviously historical wise, Croatia has been well decorated in Water Polo but recently its Serbia's time but i think the big stage is still the olympics..it's not being humble, it's being realistic.
last two games
world championship gold medal game last year in Russia (Kazan) - Serbia - Croatia 11-4
european championship this year in Belgrade (first round group game) Serbia - Croatia 13-6

more or less same teams now and then.
the only thing on our side could be a potential pressure on serbian team as they have never been an olympic champion while we are current title holders.
serbia has been raising their game throughout the tournament while we calculated on the other side.
I don't believe the final result will be as big as on the two above mentioned games but I do believe Serbia is 65%-35% favorite in this one.
maybe, just maybe it could be 60%-40%.
mainly because of Xavi Garcia addition to our team and the current form of our goalkeeper Bijač (we do have two best goalkeepers in the world at the moment).

Jon_Koncak
08-19-2016, 09:45 PM
Serbia doesnt seem to be in great form though.I think the final will be much closer than those games...Ex yugoslavian guys,how is your dominance in waterpolo explained?How popular is the sport there?It's just significant to me that serbia for example splits and Montenegro is a contender right away for almost 10 years now.

JGX
08-20-2016, 12:55 AM
Are there any Turkish runners actually from Turkey? I can understand Bahrain or Qatar importing a bunch of people but Turkey is a big country.

ThePeraCar
08-20-2016, 11:34 AM
Number of finalists in team sports:
1. Serbia – 3
2. USA– 3
3. Brasil – 2
4. Italy – 2
5. UK – 2
6. Germany– 2
7. France – 2
8. Croatia – 1
9. Argentina – 1
10. Belgium – 1
11. Netherland – 1
12. Sweden – 1
13. Denmark– 1
14. Russia – 1
15. Fiji – 1
16. Australia – 1
17. NZ – 1
18. China – 1
19. Spain – 1

ThePeraCar
08-20-2016, 04:26 PM
Serbia won all 4 medals from team sports ! two in basketball! great success!

Picek
08-20-2016, 08:58 PM
Neymar scores...
Brasil up 1-0 against Germany...

R1ou
08-20-2016, 09:09 PM
Neymar scores...
Brasil up 1-0 against Germany...

Olympic football is boring.Trying to watch but almost falling asleep.Hopefully they'll not do the same bs at bbal with the U-23.

CoachZ
08-20-2016, 09:28 PM
Serbia doesnt seem to be in great form though.I think the final will be much closer than those games...Ex yugoslavian guys,how is your dominance in waterpolo explained?How popular is the sport there?It's just significant to me that serbia for example splits and Montenegro is a contender right away for almost 10 years now.

Waterpolo is not even a Top 10 sport in Serbia and Ex-yu in terms of how many people play it. We do have a fantastic school and coaching in waterpolo and we do a fantastic job of selecting players. Also there is something to do with genetics as well. Our guys are huge in waterpolo compared to many other countries. Just superior coaching and competition that is FIERCE in youth ages. We are producing world class talent already at age 19-20. Even then they are awesome.

Mr Chacho
08-20-2016, 09:43 PM
Olympic football is boring.Trying to watch but almost falling asleep.Hopefully they'll not do the same bs at bbal with the U-23.

Sevilla vs Español is being better by far in LaLiga Santander (5-3 at the 66').

Picek
08-20-2016, 09:59 PM
Germany equalized
1-1

I actually hate football and don't watch it at all, not even our NT.
but I have it on on my second screen as I would like Brasil to win it.
sort of payback for 2014.
and for brasilians winning olympic gold in football today and in volleyball tomorrow would be enough to call this OG a success for them.

Serbia won waterpolo gold, as expected. our players shitted their pants before they jumped in the pool.
that is what you get when you cheat.

Mr Chacho
08-20-2016, 10:02 PM
Germany equalized
1-1

I actually hate football and don't watch it at all, not even our NT.
but I have it on on my second screen as I would like Brasil to win it.
sort of payback for 2014.
and for brasilians winning olympic gold in football today and in volleyball tomorrow would be enough to call this OG a success for them.

Serbia won waterpolo gold, as expected. our players shitted their pants before they jumped in the pool.
that is what you get when you cheat.

Brazil gold? GERMANY!!! I enjoyed a lot the 2014 defeat after the brazilians laughing at Spain's and some others defeats.

Doesn't matter Picek, you always can say thet you lost in waterpolo thanks to the spaniard :rolleyes:

Picek
08-20-2016, 10:06 PM
Doesn't matter Picek, you always can say thet you lost in waterpolo thanks to the spaniard :rolleyes:that cheating son of a bitch..
he brought this to us..
asshole..

:p

that in 2014. was not a defeat, it was a humiliation of an entire nation.
and to be honest I don't like germans, even if in general we croats have an extremely high oppinion of them in all aspects and an enormous number of croats is already living in germany and many thinking of going there, i simply don't like them.
I have to work and cooperate with them and have a really low oppinion of their business manner which are not what everyone think they are.

Mr Chacho
08-20-2016, 10:57 PM
At the penalties, some Brazilians will die due to heart attacks.

Picek
08-20-2016, 11:07 PM
At the penalties, some Brazilians will die due to heart attacks.they will probably miss the fifth one..

Dtown
08-20-2016, 11:07 PM
While I like soccer, I hate penalty kicks. Would be like after an overtime Basketball had a free throw shooting contest.

Mr Chacho
08-20-2016, 11:11 PM
Because Weverton is bad, if not, the pernalty shotout would heve ended in the second shot.

Picek
08-20-2016, 11:11 PM
Neymar for the title..
Maracana going nuts..

Mr Chacho
08-20-2016, 11:12 PM
While I like soccer, I hate penalty kicks. Would be like after an overtime Basketball had a free throw shooting contest.

Football is great, but the penalty shotout is a very cruel form of lose a championship, not always the best win (today yes).

I play football and I have only won one penalty shot out (I have lost 4 and won 1).

Ayrfon
08-21-2016, 12:08 AM

It's the "glass half-full/glass half-empty" situation... Some are saying these games are not that successful for Serbia- with 8 medals...
On the other hand, to answer your question, we sent 103 athletes to Rio, 54 of them are coming back home with a medall... In team sports, 4 teams 4 medals...

Ironically, due to a very difficult qualifying system, our men volleyball team didn't make it to Rio... Those guys won a World league month ago, beating both Rio finalists...

JGX
08-21-2016, 01:03 AM
Beitia of Spain wins a strange women's high jump over Vlasic (Croatia), Lowe (US) and someone from a country without a basketball team. Two of the competitors in the heptathlon jumped higher than any of the high jumpers.

Beez
08-21-2016, 01:13 AM
USA women's basketball team beats Spain, 101-72. Six consecutive gold medals. Breanna Stewart played the least amount minutes for USA, but she has a chance to be the G.O.A.T. She's like a combination of Dirk on offense and Anthony Davis on defense.

Picek
08-21-2016, 01:15 AM
Beitia of Spain wins a strange women's high jump over Vlasic (Croatia), Lowe (US) and someone from a country without a basketball team. Two of the competitors in the heptathlon jumped higher than any of the high jumpers.
Vlašić will probably retire after winning a medal today.
I'm sure she hoped she could maybe win a gold but she is having extremely big problems with achilles tendon injury.
but you are right, women high jump is so far from it's best days.
in Beijing she jumped 205 and only got a silver.
I think in this whole season only two athletes jumped over 2 m.
Lowe who did not win a medal here was one of those two.

Mr Chacho
08-21-2016, 01:28 AM

Beitia is 37 years old, and 1 month ago she won the european championship in Amsterdam. Amazing!!!

Serbia vs China at women voleyball is being a great match.

Picek
08-21-2016, 06:12 PM
mongolian wrestler lost a bronze medal match
look at his coaches:
https://twitter.com/danilo_sanches/status/767411060475367424

Picek
08-21-2016, 06:31 PM
Brasil winning Italy 3-0 for volleyball gold medal.
Brasil won their most important 3 gold medals on the olympics.
men football, men volleyball and men beach volleyball.

Denmark destroyed french chances of three-peat in handball by winning 28-26.

Hepcat
08-22-2016, 03:40 PM
This is a travesty:

Controversial Women's 800 Metres (http://www.runnersworld.com/olympics/why-the-womens-800-will-be-the-most-controversial-race-at-the-olympics)

Chromosome testing to ensure that all athletes competing in Women's events were XX was conducted by the IOC between 1968 and 1996. Such testing was undertaken because of concerns that some countries would resort to cheating of any kind to fatten their medal totals. Chromosone testing was discontinued after 1996 in response to criticism that it was "socially insensitive and humiliating" to competitors that failed the test.

The IOC instead implemented a rule in time for the 2012 Olympics which disqualified athletes from female events if they had testosterone levels above 10 nanomoles per liter. The median testosterone level for women track and field athletes was found to be 0.69 nmol/L and the 99th percentile level was 3.08. The normal male Olympic athlete's testosterone range is in the twenties although it can get as high as 38. The 10 level was actually criticized therefore as it set a target at which women steroid abusers could aim in their efforts to cheat.

But in response to a legal challenge in 2015 the IAAF had to abandon its testosterone testing of competitors in Women's events. The current standard is therefore whoever wants to compete in Women's events can.

Canada's Melissa Bishop set a new Canadian record but finished fourth in the 800 metres behind Caster Semenya, Francine Niyonsaba and Margaret Wambui. Concerns were previously raised about all three of the athletes who finished ahead of Melissa Bishop but the IAAF never disclosed their test results for privacy reasons.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/7770228-3x2-700x467.jpg

http://wpmedia.news.nationalpost.com/2016/08/rio-olympics-postmedia-melissa-bishop-of-team-canada-finis.jpeg?quality=65&strip=all

Would Melissa have won the Gold had the IOC a strict gender policy for Women's events? I think so.

And what's the point of having Women's events in the first place if there are no strict gender testing requirements? If there's to be discrimination on the basis of sex, why then is there no actual discrimination on the basis of sex? What we have now is special status for women - sort of. It's political correctness run amuck is what it is.

:mad: