PDA

View Full Version : Group A Day 1: Serbia vs Venezuela

Dtown
08-06-2016, 12:35 AM
On paper this shouldn't be a contest, but you never know Venezuela may just get a South American bounce.

usagre
08-06-2016, 01:40 AM
I have a feeling Venezuela is gonna play well for about three quarters, then I see Serbia winning comfortably going away.

Picek
08-06-2016, 11:12 AM
anyone knows if venezuelan team was at the opening ceremony yesterday?

Mindozas
08-06-2016, 11:17 AM
anyone knows if venezuelan team was at the opening ceremony yesterday?

There are couple of photos from few players heading to ceremony https://twitter.com/FVBaloncesto/with_replies

Jazz
08-06-2016, 07:17 PM
How many of the Serbian players were there? I only caught a glimpse of Kalinic.

Picek
08-06-2016, 07:55 PM
How many of the Serbian players were there? I only caught a glimpse of Kalinic.Jović and coach Đorđević were also there..
I was under the impression that the entire team was there.

Jazz
08-06-2016, 08:03 PM
Jović and coach Đorđević were also there..
I was under the impression that the entire team was there.

Yeah, I only saw them briefly so wasn't sure.

Picek
08-07-2016, 01:28 AM
really disappointed with the number of empty seats.
even on the USA game, on this one is even worse..

Dtown
08-07-2016, 01:30 AM
really disappointed with the number of empty seats.
even on the USA game, on this one is even worse..

Considering it's 10:30 pm there, it's not terrible.

usagre
08-07-2016, 01:31 AM
USA broadcast on Olympic basketball channel sounds like a guy doing the game in his basement.

Picek
08-07-2016, 01:31 AM
Considering it's 10:30 pm there, it's not terrible.USA game started at 19:00?
so it was prime time.

Dtown
08-07-2016, 01:44 AM
USA game started at 19:00?
so it was prime time.

Oh I meant the game now. Also it looked like the US game was a sell out to me, if not pretty close.

Dtown
08-07-2016, 01:44 AM
USA broadcast on Olympic basketball channel sounds like a guy doing the game in his basement.

it does sound like he's whispering into the mic.

usagre
08-07-2016, 01:51 AM
it does sound like he's whispering into the mic.

I think it's the janitor at Nbc Sports studios in Stamford Connecticut.

usagre
08-07-2016, 01:54 AM
Weird start time, first game jitters, probably means a lot to Serbian players in the Olympics for first time in a long time contributing to a bit of a slow start. I expect them to explode at any minute.

Federoy
08-07-2016, 01:54 AM
Gee, how many shot clock violations or one second left shots are Venezuela going to take?

usagre
08-07-2016, 01:59 AM
I still can't get over the fact that this Venezuelan team is playing tonight instead of Canada.
What a joke.

Federoy
08-07-2016, 02:04 AM
The Ticos are waiting waaaay to late in the shot clock to get their offense going. It's one thing to be patient, but they're wasting so many possessions with nothing to show. Also, I've watched a number of times Venezuelan defenders get beat on cuts or off the dribble. With a team that barely scores, it's death by a thousands cuts if they can't stop Serbia on offense. Nestor Garcia seems to believe that stalling pace is the same as playing defense.

Dtown
08-07-2016, 02:07 AM
this game feels like it could become a 30+ blowout at any time.

usagre
08-07-2016, 02:19 AM
The upcoming Venezuela-China game will set basketball back 100 years. The whisperer at Nbc studios has already declined to announce that game stating that it is beneath him.

usagre
08-07-2016, 02:20 AM
Good to see Teododic looks fine despite the finger being taped up.

Dtown
08-07-2016, 02:24 AM
Venezuela and China remove pretty much all drama from qualifying for the next round. It's all in where you finish. Still that's about what we were expecting, the only difference being Australia turned this into a four team group instead of a three team group.

Federoy
08-07-2016, 02:40 AM
At this point in the game, I'm looking for weaknesses in the Serbia's game for my own scouting purposes, but Venezuela isn't offering much resistance.

Hey, where in the hell is everybody? I can remember 8-10 years ago, Interbasket was so lively and vibrant during these tournaments. I kinda miss the arguments and craziness that use to go on in this forum.

Dtown
08-07-2016, 02:42 AM
At this point in the game, I'm looking for weaknesses in the Serbia's game for my own scouting purposes, but Venezuela isn't offering much resistance.

Hey, where in the hell is everybody? I can remember 8-10 years ago, Interbasket was so lively and vibrant during these tournaments. I kinda miss the arguments and craziness that use to go on in this forum.

Timezones, remember 4 years ago this was in London. It's currently anywhere between 3-5 am for most posters. This is the first Olympics that favors Americans in terms of viewing times since 1996.

Also US dominance. I remember 8 years ago where people honestly expected the US to lose. So there honest hope for some teams taking the gold. Posters that shall not be named don't thrive in an environment where the US is the 2 time Olympic/2 time world champion...(though I pretty sure I see him on the occasional Realgm post).

usagre
08-07-2016, 02:46 AM

Yeah you can't learn anything about Serbia from this game positive or negative. Hard to when you're playing virtual corpses. This reminds me of a #1 vs a #16 in the NCAA tournament.

Federoy
08-07-2016, 02:46 AM
Timezones, remember 4 years ago this was in London. It's currently anywhere between 3-5 am for most posters. This is the first Olympics that favors Americans in terms of viewing times since 1996.

That's true. But it seems like the combativeness has been in decline for a while.

JGX
08-07-2016, 02:47 AM
A lot of people lost interest once the US started winning again. Plus no Greece or Turkey in this tournament.

The time zone thing too.

Dtown
08-07-2016, 02:48 AM
That's true. But it seems like the combativeness has been in decline for a while.

added an edit, I think combativeness took a dive under US dominance.

usagre
08-07-2016, 02:51 AM
Vlade sighting.

Federoy
08-07-2016, 02:53 AM
Yeah you can't learn anything about Serbia from this game positive or negative. Hard to when you're playing virtual corpses. This reminds me of a #1 vs a #16 in the NCAA tournament.

Serbia is definitely a quality team, but the Venezuelan game plan accentuates Serbia's positives more than it should.

usagre
08-07-2016, 02:56 AM
No doubt about Serbia just saying anything they do in this game is meaningless. I have a weird feeling that they maybe our biggest threat. Something like Greece in 2006. The unknown. Teams like Spain and France are loaded with players that our players are very familiar with. But again like Greece in '06 other than the meeting 2 years ago Serbia is really an unknown to our guys.

Federoy
08-07-2016, 03:02 AM
added an edit, I think combativeness took a dive under US dominance.

I've been on this forum since its early days, and I can remember back during the 2004-2008 years (I wish some of the messages were archived) how nasty some of the discussions got...a lot of it directed against the US, but in general the forum was just nastier. There would be whole discussions complaining about US travelling...LeBron on steroids...referees favoring the US...it went on and on. Some of it crossed over into politics. I enjoyed the battle sometimes, I'll admit it!

Dtown
08-07-2016, 03:04 AM
Go Venezuela, keep this in the 20s so JGX can't get another 5 points.

Dtown
08-07-2016, 03:07 AM
I've been on this forum since its early days, and I can remember back during the 2004-2008 years (I wish some of the messages were archived) how nasty some of the discussions got...a lot of it directed against the US, but in general the forum was just nastier. There would be whole discussions complaining about US travelling...LeBron on steroids...referees favoring the US...it went on and on. Some of it crossed over into politics. I enjoyed the battle sometimes, I'll admit it!

I can't imagine, I was lucky to join with the redeem team. So in terms of abject hostility it's steadily declined since 2008. It's a double edged sword though, because while the bile has been turned down, so has the activity and some of the fun.

usagre
08-07-2016, 03:14 AM
I can't imagine, I was lucky to join with the redeem team. So in terms of abject hostility it's steadily declined since 2008. It's a double edged sword though, because while the bile has been turned down, so has the activity and some of the fun.

I think 2010 was the turning point. At least 2008 could be justified because all the top guns were on the team, but when the "B" team won relatively easily there was nothing left to say.

JGX
08-07-2016, 03:16 AM
Can search twitter for pasos eeuu or fiba eeuu if you need to read spaniards complaining about how the refs let the US cheat.

JGX
08-07-2016, 03:21 AM
I think 2010 was the turning point. At least 2008 could be justified because all the top guns were on the team, but when the "B" team won relatively easily there was nothing left to say.

Also consider that we've started winning all the youth tournaments. Back in 2008 we were rarely winning the U19 and U21/22, and the U17 didn't exist. A lot of people thought that the big improvement in FIBA basketball from the mid 90's to the mid 00's was just going to continue. People now realize that we're going to be dominating for a long time, and there aren't any Gasols, Ginobilis, or Nowitzkis walking through the door.

Now let me cover myself by saying that no team is invincible or goes undefeated forever, and I'm sure we'll lose at some point, maybe even this tournament.

unnamed
08-07-2016, 07:41 AM
I woke up just for final minute and a half an I thought the result was 65:60, but later on I saw its actually 85:60. I thought Serbia would have more trouble with combative Venezuelans but it seems like it was not a hard match. Game against Australia will be hard one

DarkoMVP
08-07-2016, 09:45 AM
Yeah, it's sad how dead it is, and can't blame the time zones too much - first game of the day was at 7:30 PM for me, then next game at midnight. And to add insult to injury, RealGM is even deader because the forum mods decided to ban any Olympics topics (well, from the General Board, but that's an effective ban).

Jon_Koncak
08-07-2016, 09:55 AM
Forums are dying in general.They are kinda a thing of the past.Well, some survive but for the most part reddit and social media have taken their place now.Even in Realgm the decline in traffic and number of posts is noticable.As far as i'm concerned twitter and facebook are no alternatives for a good forum and reddit is a mess but the majority of users thinks otherwise apparently.

Mindozas
08-07-2016, 10:27 AM
A lot of people lost interest once the US started winning again. Plus no Greece or Turkey in this tournament.

The time zone thing too.

It has nothing to do with USA dominance ;) 2008-2010 USA was head above all and forum was still active. F.e. how USA dominance reflects on United Nations part of the forum or the same Euroleague, Eurobasket sections? They are all nowhere close to what it used to be some 5+ years ago, UN section is overall dead and it was really active back in the days. Just like Jon Koncak wrote - it's common thing to most of the forums. In Lithuania basketball discussion boards are goin' down aswell for years now. In LT facebook took over, all over the world twitter joined the forums killing forces. For me, who was raised in forums generation, it's really kinda sad

Regarding the game, didn't see it, ffs that time difference will kill me. 4.30am is really hard to reach, when you're watching Olympics all day long for 12 hours and it's final game of the day. Yeah, that might be another reason why threads are not so active during these Olympics

R1ou
08-07-2016, 10:36 AM
Regarding the game, didn't see it, ffs that time difference will kill me. 4.30am is really hard to reach, when you're watching Olympics all day long for 12 hours and it's final game of the day. Yeah, that might be another reason why threads are not so active during these Olympics

Personally I watched the first half,and now I feel sleepy as hell.Thank God they have the last games broadcasted again at the next morning.

Obina
08-07-2016, 10:38 AM
Hakeem Stimajuwon 9 rebounds for 5 minutes. :D :D

I did not watched the game but I suppose that Venezuela won last quarter because of his minutes. :D

unnamed
08-07-2016, 11:44 AM
Hakeem Stimajuwon 9 rebounds for 5 minutes. :D :D

I did not watched the game but I suppose that Venezuela won last quarter because of his minutes. :D

I'm watching the re-run and truthfully we were playing with 50% of our ability or less

CoachZ
08-07-2016, 11:48 AM
I'm watching the re-run and truthfully we were playing with 50% of our ability or less

Yeah. I DVR-ed the game last night, no way I was gonna stay up at 3:30AM for an exhibition match :D :D :D

In general we fucked around way too much yesterday and still won easily. 15 turnovers I don't like (6 by Teodosic). The biggest worry from the looking of the form is Defensive Rebounding, which I said will be the main issue of this team. In tough games, that could destroy the gameplan. Also the stretch factor from PF spot is not showing up again. It's been now 3 games since Macvan or Bircevic looked like they belong.

Of course, we will be much better tomorrow and with more effort. Still those 2 things worry me.

Obina
08-07-2016, 12:07 PM
Yeah. I DVR-ed the game last night, no way I was gonna stay up at 3:30AM for an exhibition match :D :D :D

In general we fucked around way too much yesterday and still won easily. 15 turnovers I don't like (6 by Teodosic). The biggest worry from the looking of the form is Defensive Rebounding, which I said will be the main issue of this team. In tough games, that could destroy the gameplan. Also the stretch factor from PF spot is not showing up again. It's been now 3 games since Macvan or Bircevic looked like they belong.

Of course, we will be much better tomorrow and with more effort. Still those 2 things worry me.

Well, this is an expected problem after blow out with Bjelica and Marjanovic...

Game against Australia is really important, 2nd place can save us from USA before finals...

unnamed
08-07-2016, 12:09 PM

There was no need for some extra effort. Once we held a bigger lead it was pretty much decided and on defensive end no one tried hard. Teodosic again with lazy basketball when others are playing good and when there is no need for him to take charge

Jazz
08-07-2016, 12:39 PM
It has nothing to do with USA dominance ;) 2008-2010 USA was head above all and forum was still active. F.e. how USA dominance reflects on United Nations part of the forum or the same Euroleague, Eurobasket sections? They are all nowhere close to what it used to be some 5+ years ago, UN section is overall dead and it was really active back in the days. Just like Jon Koncak wrote - it's common thing to most of the forums. In Lithuania basketball discussion boards are goin' down aswell for years now. In LT facebook took over, all over the world twitter joined the forums killing forces. For me, who was raised in forums generation, it's really kinda sad
Hope forums survive because they are just better for deeper discussions than those types of social media.

SashKX
08-07-2016, 01:05 PM
Hope forums survive because they are just better for deeper discussions than those types of social media.

They are, but most people don't seem to care about deeper discussion. Reading comments on FIBA Facebook page can easily give you cancer.

Shawshank
08-07-2016, 01:06 PM
China and Venezuala do not have quality to play in Olympics...Canada,Italy or Greece could have been instead and than we surely would have top 12 worlds teams playing.Now almost all groups A games will be very booring like yesterday...

Hepcat
08-07-2016, 03:51 PM
And to add insult to injury, RealGM is even deader because the forum mods decided to ban any Olympics topics (well, from the General Board, but that's an effective ban).

That's weird. Why do you think they made that decision?

:confused:

miloje
08-07-2016, 03:55 PM
correct, no greece and turkey really killed olympics topic. only lithuanians left to write biased posts :D

Dtown
08-07-2016, 04:04 PM
That's weird. Why do you think they made that decision?

:confused:

To prop up the Olympic board, and to keep the General Board free of clutter...considering the only thing on the general board is off season topics it's just a baffling decision.