PDA

View Full Version : Group A Day 1: Australia vs. France

Dtown
08-06-2016, 12:30 AM
Very easy to forget we've got a weekend of Basketball coming up.

Group A is a lot more top heavy than B, and this will probably be the game of the Day. Medal favorites France face highly (over?) rated Aussies.

usagre
08-06-2016, 01:38 AM
I can't take Australia seriously. Show me something and beat France. That will say that this Olympics will be different and they won't play their usual role of quarterfinals sacrificial lamb.

Steadysoul
08-06-2016, 03:54 AM
I think both of these teams are overrated but hey we'll see how I'll feel after the game.

Modis
08-06-2016, 06:02 AM
The Autralians can give a good fight here they like to play physical basketball..But at the end France should win.

Dtown
08-06-2016, 05:16 PM
I was talking bad about the Nike jerseys but the Addidas are just as lazy a template.

madmax
08-06-2016, 05:22 PM
so Bogut is playing after all and crappy apartments in Rio didn't force him to leave the country...:D
Boomers for da win anyway, as they are more talented team overall:cool:

R1ou
08-06-2016, 05:33 PM
The PnR in the last possession and the way Baynes missed the lay summarised why I hate 2K :D

usagre
08-06-2016, 05:34 PM
6 first quarter turnovers the difference in the first quarter 20-14 Australia.

Federoy
08-06-2016, 05:38 PM
Sloppy play by the French. They're getting handled right now.

Modis
08-06-2016, 05:43 PM
Australians look much more motivated.

Federoy
08-06-2016, 05:44 PM
Wow...32-17. The Australian spacing and ball movement has been amazing.

JGX
08-06-2016, 05:47 PM
Australians look much more motivated.

Old guys gonna play like old guys. It would take a big upset for France to miss the quarterfinals, and there's not much difference between teams 1-4 in the other groups, so France might pace themselves a bit.

That said, Australia playing very well so far.

Dtown
08-06-2016, 05:48 PM
Parker getting more involved and France instantly looks better.

Tony Parker's going to be Tony Parker, back down to a three point game.

Straight forward
08-06-2016, 05:58 PM
France like "the group stage, really? Can we skip it to the knock out stage already?". Australians are dominating inside, Bogut and Banes made difference, but Parker showed why he's a legend. However, I'm starting to have doubts if France will have enough of legs for the knock out stage eventually. They won't walk over the group stage with one leg obviously...

Silent Killer
08-06-2016, 06:01 PM
typical french slow start. just the way they started slow against Philippines. Hope boomers will continue the good ball movement and step up the defense in 2nd half

Federoy
08-06-2016, 06:01 PM
Credit to the French for waking up and closing the deficit to three. They looked dead in the water early in the second quarter.

Picek
08-06-2016, 06:12 PM
France like "the group stage, really? Can we skip it to the knock out stage already?". Australians are dominating inside, Bogut and Banes made difference, but Parker showed why he's a legend. However, I'm starting to have doubts if France will have enough of legs for the knock out stage eventually. They won't walk over the group stage with one leg obviously...it's getting more and more obvious that not taking Fournier was a huge mistake.

Dtown
08-06-2016, 06:18 PM
Australia pulling away again

Silent Killer
08-06-2016, 06:18 PM
Australia pulling away again

with good ball movement..

Silent Killer
08-06-2016, 06:21 PM
those cuts killing the french team

Hepcat
08-06-2016, 06:28 PM
Wow! Australia still leading by nine late in the third quarter. Go Boomers!

:cool:

Silent Killer
08-06-2016, 06:30 PM
Wow! Australia still leading by nine late in the third quarter. Go Boomers!

now 11. good ball movement by boomers. those cuts killing the french team plus good shooting..

Silent Killer
08-06-2016, 06:36 PM
65-48 lead by boomers..

interxavierxxx
08-06-2016, 06:37 PM
Wow, I was expecting France to win this game.

Straight forward
Dellavedova and Bogut having fun! Something. Very solid performance by Australia.

Dtown
Jesus, France's defense needs to feel ashamed.

Silent Killer
08-06-2016, 06:40 PM
Wow, I was expecting France to win this game.

pinagod ng gilas ang france e

Trans: Go boomers! :cool:

Hepcat
08-06-2016, 06:40 PM
Australia by seventeen and winning in a walk!

Silent Killer
08-06-2016, 06:42 PM
Boomers playing the basic basketball..

Silent Killer
08-06-2016, 06:43 PM
Jesus, France's defense needs to feel ashamed.

maybe they need noah but sadly for france..

Sakkreth
08-06-2016, 06:44 PM
France with Hardenesque defense.

LDK
08-06-2016, 06:44 PM
Thanks God I avoided betting today..

gockun
08-06-2016, 06:45 PM
De Colo, a big disappoinment so far, MVP of all in Europe...

Silent Killer
08-06-2016, 06:46 PM
De Colo, a big disappoinment so far, MVP of all in Europe...

He probably left his talents in Manila OQT..

interxavierxxx
08-06-2016, 06:47 PM
I'm disappointed with Gobert. Way too many easy cuts to the basket.

Federoy
08-06-2016, 06:48 PM
France is facing the prospect of finishing fourth in group play. Unless they clean it up defensively, no way in hell do they beat the US or Serbia. Venezuela might even take the fourth spot over France.

Silent Killer
08-06-2016, 06:49 PM
imagine boomers with ben simmons and thon maker..

usagre
08-06-2016, 06:51 PM
France is facing the prospect of finishing fourth in group play. Unless they clean it up defensively, no way in hell do they beat the US or Serbia. Venezuela might even take the fourth spot over France.

They'll still probably finish second if I had to put money on it. They obviously looked sluggish and disengaged in game one. I wouldn't take the leap to fourth or fifth off of that.

Silent Killer
08-06-2016, 06:51 PM

if they play like this against venezuela, they'll be eliminated. but I can't see france loosing to venezuela.

the_black_planet
08-06-2016, 06:52 PM
I hope this upset will wake up the French, they showed the same attitude like last Eurobasket back then they didn't have proper competition until the semi finals against Spain. Especially Batum, after the fantastic tournament he had in Spain's Mundo he plays like a mediocre veteran, I can't understand it at all... Hope they'll learn from this lesson today!

Silent Killer
08-06-2016, 06:56 PM
87-66 win by boomers! Good job..

Dtown
08-06-2016, 06:57 PM
I thought there was a chance France might lose, but by 21?!

Full respect to the Aussies, who have been disrespected on this board (including by myself), maybe they can make a step this year...

Federoy
08-06-2016, 06:58 PM
They'll still probably finish second if I had to put money on it. They obviously looked sluggish and disengaged in game one. I wouldn't take the leap to fourth or fifth off of that.

I think you'd lose your money! They're not beating Serbia if they play like this, and in order to pull off the monumental task of upsetting the US, the US would need a 2004 throwback game along with France playing 10x better than this afternoon. Venezuela might be offensively challenged, but they're a gritty defensive team and they have a tendency to rise to the occasion against better teams.

CoachZ
08-06-2016, 07:01 PM
This is a carbon copy performance that France has been giving in the prep period. They are playing at 50%, they tried to pull the game a bit closer, once they opened up a 10 point lead. They gave up. Now they'll probably tank the group to take 4th. That is the only other solution to avoid USA until the final. They would actually prefer to play Spain to other teams, they are a nightmare team for them and often mess them up. I think second place is out of reach now, and they have lost three times to Serbia as well this offseason including the last blowout.

They are just cruising, they will turn it up last 2 games in the group and then push it in the elimination games. With this kind of fucking around they could win the Manilla OQT, which was basically amateur basketball. We will see another team in the knockouts.

Straight forward
08-06-2016, 07:04 PM
Now one should decide to be surprised with poor France performance of rock solid Australian basketball more. Very nice game to start the tournament, the surprise. I also think France should wake up, looked like their -C performance and effort out there, but what if they are done emotionally, it's been a long summer for them. Maybe they just needed a wake up call, probably underrated Australians as well. Can boomers keep it up though. They looked like medal contenders tonight.

Damn, surely none of group B teams want France in 4 finals anyway...

CoachZ
08-06-2016, 07:09 PM
Now one should decide to be surprised with poor France performance of rock solid Australian basketball more. Very nice game to start the tournament, the surprise. I also think France should wake up, looked like their -C performance and effort out there, but what if they are done emotionally, it's been a long summer for them. Maybe they just needed a wake up call, probably underrated Australians as well. Can boomers keep it up though. They looked like medal contenders tonight.

Well it was kind of an experiment as well by France and a totally failed scouting. Aussies have depended on their 3pt shooting for sooooo many games that France came out with a plan to try to pressure the shooters a bit and got picked apart with backdoors and aggressiveness to the basket. Their backup plan was to zone :D :D :D Which they often fall back into when they play. In general terrible effort from them and a big coaching minus for Collet in terms of preparing his team mentally and scouting wise how to play Aussies. They didn't stand the chance since minute 1.

Aussies played great, it will be difficult for them to have these single digit turnover games often and people to let them score inside like that. Still they played way better than usual.

auris1
08-06-2016, 07:13 PM
I think all 3 teams who came through qualifiers one way or another will suffer from fatigue related issues .

auris1
08-06-2016, 07:17 PM
.. Still they played way better than usual.
You can play only as good as opponent allows you .

Jazz
08-06-2016, 07:30 PM
big coaching minus for Collet in terms of preparing his team mentally

Did you notice he was wearing Lacoste? :D

Obina
08-06-2016, 07:32 PM
France is not tired. This is the same France from prep period...

Anyway, good game for Australia. Duo Bogut/Baynes will be problem for every team...

I expect better France in 1/4 finals...

turk-jugoslav
08-06-2016, 07:45 PM
As I wrote before many times, Rudy Gobert is the most overrated player in whole world. He's useless with no skills.

usagre
08-06-2016, 07:48 PM
29 assists by Australia is ridiculous.

usagre
08-06-2016, 07:51 PM
Let the overreacting continue. So far France might lose to Venezuela and finish 5th and Rudy Gobert is useless.

CoachZ
08-06-2016, 07:53 PM

I think we dropped 37 on Puerto Rico :D

Federoy
08-06-2016, 07:54 PM

Backdoored France to death. Australia has always been good at running their stuff, but it's shocking how unprepared France looked out there. Its starts to make me wonder how Canada would've faired in this tournament had they beaten France in Manilla.

ncjazz
08-06-2016, 07:58 PM
As I wrote before many times, Rudy Gobert is the most overrated player in whole world. He's useless with no skills.

He is one of the best defensive players on the planet, but yes he has very little in the form of an offensive game. As others have said France I expect will pick it up by the end of pool play and be a threat for a medal.

Federoy
08-06-2016, 08:02 PM
Let the overreacting continue. So far France might lose to Venezuela and finish 5th and Rudy Gobert is useless.

I don't know where your confidence is coming from that France will turn it around. Their form has been poor all summer. They didn't look good in Manilla, and they haven't looked good in the lead up to Rio; getting toasted in Cordoba against Serbia, Croatia and Argentina. The sort of issues they have defensively aren't the kind that get fixed in a few days.

usagre
08-06-2016, 08:05 PM
I don't know where your confidence is coming from that France will turn it around. Their form has been poor all summer. They didn't look good in Manilla, and they haven't looked good in the lead up to Rio; getting toasted in Cordoba against Serbia, Croatia and Argentina. The sort of issues they have defensively aren't the kind that get fixed in a few days.

They have the pedigree and the talent. I don't think a group like that will go quietly when it matters.

usagre
08-06-2016, 08:06 PM
I think we dropped 37 on Puerto Rico :D

29 assists on 35 field goals is a ratio you don't see too often.

Federoy
08-06-2016, 08:07 PM
He is one of the best defensive players on the planet, but yes he has very little in the form of an offensive game. As others have said France I expect will pick it up by the end of pool play and be a threat for a medal.

They virtually got nothing from Batum or De Colo...I wouldn't expect Gobert to carry this team.

usagre
08-06-2016, 08:10 PM
They virtually got nothing from Batum or De Colo...I wouldn't expect Gobert to carry this team.

Those two guys will definitely be heard from by the time this tournament is through.

madmax
08-06-2016, 08:11 PM

all he can do is literally block shots...:D He's not even a good or smart defender, just yet another uncoordinated tall guy with very long hands.

Federoy
08-06-2016, 08:15 PM
They have the pedigree and the talent. I don't think a group like that will go quietly when it matters.

It may not be in France's nature, but in order for them to advance and potentially win a medal, I think they need to speed the game up. They can negate their defensive issues by increasing tempo and therefore increasing possessions. The downside is that for an older group that's been playing since late June, it could take a toll on them physically.

usagre
08-06-2016, 08:16 PM
all he can do is literally block shots...:D He's not even a good or smart defender, just yet another uncoordinated tall guy with very long hands.

And yet if you asked the 30 NBA general managers who they'd rather have between him and Valanciunas I bet it would be extremely close.

madmax
08-06-2016, 08:22 PM
And yet if you asked the 30 NBA general managers who they'd rather have between him and Valanciunas I bet it would be extremely close.

NBA managers make all kinds of retarded decisions all the time...I wouldn't trust their basketball knowledge one bit when they are paying role player Mike Conley 30+ millions per year:cool:

usagre
08-06-2016, 08:28 PM
NBA managers make all kinds of retarded decisions all the time...I wouldn't trust their basketball knowledge one bit when they are paying role player Mike Conley 30+ millions per year:cool:

Gobert is elite at rim protecting and defensive rebounding. Valanciunas is not elite at anything. He's better in more areas but again not great in any. And the Conley money thing is about timing and salary cap. 30 million isn't the same as 30 million of 5 years ago. It's about 15-20 million in comparison. Don't look at the number. It's irrelevant. It's all about what the amount is in percentage to the salary cap. And Conley isn't a role player. Probably in the top 10 best point guards in the world.

madmax
08-06-2016, 08:42 PM
Gobert is elite at rim protecting and defensive rebounding. Valanciunas is not elite at anything. He's better in more areas but again not great in any. And the Conley money thing is about timing and salary cap. 30 million isn't the same as 30 million of 5 years ago. It's about 15-20 million in comparison. Don't look at the number. It's irrelevant. It's all about what the amount is in percentage to the salary cap. And Conley isn't a role player. Probably in the top 10 best point guards in the world.

Jonas is actually a better rebounder than Gobert, as he averages the same amount of rebounds in 6 less minutes of playing time ( the area you said Gobert is elite at). We won't go into scoring here, as it's a huge mismatch here. As far as defense goes - blocked shots don't actually mean that you're a great defender (as Whiteside, a player similar to Gobert, couldn't do anything against Jonas defensively). Look, I've got nothing against frenchie, but let's call spade a spade here

CoachZ
08-06-2016, 08:42 PM
It may not be in France's nature, but in order for them to advance and potentially win a medal, I think they need to speed the game up. They can negate their defensive issues by increasing tempo and therefore increasing possessions. The downside is that for an older group that's been playing since late June, it could take a toll on them physically.

Actually this is how France will fail. They do best when they run the 1-3-1 or flex zone with heavy on the ball pressure and slower tempo. Every time the game was uptempo they were destroyed. The reason for that is they can't run with any of the elite teams. Parker is good for 15-20 minutes, DeColo could a bit, then guys like Diaw, Diot etc. That will destroy that team. France often looks terrible in the leadup to the big games that matter. So don't be fooled by that. Yes they are not as good as 3-4 years ago in many ways, but still they can put it together.

They bring another level defensively when it is do or die. They camp Gobert in the paint and since there is no defensive 3 sec they cut off all the penetration. They don't switch much then and they ask Parker/DeColo to attack the passing lanes which they are great at and the rest of the guys to play tough on the ball. Then they mix up their zones every now and then. That's how they have played for the last 5-6 years. That will be the case this time as well.

If the shot doesn't start falling, that will be a bigger issue. They are missing Fournier and DeColo and Batum are cold. So that is the main issue.

CoachZ
08-06-2016, 08:44 PM

Dude just chill. Always remember what he said. JV > Sabonis :D There is no objective discussion to be had there :D

CoachZ
08-06-2016, 08:45 PM
Jonas is actually a better rebounder than Gobert, as he averages the same amount of rebounds in 6 less minutes of playing time ( the area you said Gobert is elite at). We won't go into scoring here, as it's a huge mismatch here. As far as defense goes - blocked shots don't actually mean that you're a great defender (as Whiteside, a player similar to Gobert, couldn't do anything against Jonas defensively). Look, I've got nothing against frenchie, but let's call spade a spade here

By that logic Zaza Pachulia is the reincarnation of Olajuwon vs JV :D :D :D Cmon man, ease up on the homering. It's not even funny anymore :D I am getting the rude jumper vibe (trademarked by Maccabeo) from you :D

usagre
08-06-2016, 08:48 PM

Its not about only blocked shots and his individual defense on the opposing center, he alters shots and dissuades guys from driving. Overall I like Valanciunas better and would take him. But in my opinion it's really close.

CoachZ
29 assists on 35 field goals is a ratio you don't see too often.

Yeah. Or 37 ass on 37 FGs :D :D

http://www.fiba.com/sr/oqt/serbia/2016/0907/Srbija-Portoriko#|tab=boxscore_statistics

madmax
By that logic Zaza Pachulia is the reincarnation of Olajuwon vs JV :D :D :D Cmon man, ease up on the homering. It's not even funny anymore :D I am getting the rude jumper vibe (trademarked by Maccabeo) from you :D

so are you actually gonna refute what I posted or just continue with your childish insults? And what does Zaza got to do with anything? I'm talking about both guys and their play in NBA

usagre
08-06-2016, 08:51 PM
Actually this is how France will fail. They do best when they run the 1-3-1 or flex zone with heavy on the ball pressure and slower tempo. Every time the game was uptempo they were destroyed. The reason for that is they can't run with any of the elite teams. Parker is good for 15-20 minutes, DeColo could a bit, then guys like Diaw, Diot etc. That will destroy that team. France often looks terrible in the leadup to the big games that matter. So don't be fooled by that. Yes they are not as good as 3-4 years ago in many ways, but still they can put it together.

They bring another level defensively when it is do or die. They camp Gobert in the paint and since there is no defensive 3 sec they cut off all the penetration. They don't switch much then and they ask Parker/DeColo to attack the passing lanes which they are great at and the rest of the guys to play tough on the ball. Then they mix up their zones every now and then. That's how they have played for the last 5-6 years. That will be the case this time as well.

If the shot doesn't start falling, that will be a bigger issue. They are missing Fournier and DeColo and Batum are cold. So that is the main issue.

Yeah to me it comes back to France always being offensively challenged. So that Fournier omission is glaring. Diot didn't do anything today although they did get it from Gelabale.

CoachZ
08-06-2016, 08:52 PM
so are you actually gonna refute what I posted or just continue with your childish insults? And what does Zaza got to do with anything? I'm talking about both guys and their play in NBA

I am saying Gobert is an elite defender. It has nothing to do with blocking shots. He can switch on the PnR vs almost all guards, he is VERY COORDINATED totally contrary to what you are saying. He is an elite defender and very, very good rebounder. He is a specialist. JV is a better player, nobody denies that or is trying to say otherwise. The comments about Gobert are a bit insulting though. Also saying arguments that because JV had a good series vs Whiteside, he is a shitty defender and got destroyed doesn't help.

Zaza plays in NBA too :D I just used the same logic you used in JV vs Whiteside to remind you of Zaza vs JV matchup which we all know how it looked. I am saying that is a bad logic to have.

usagre
08-06-2016, 08:54 PM
Yeah. Or 37 ass on 37 FGs :D :D

http://www.fiba.com/sr/oqt/serbia/2016/0907/Srbija-Portoriko#|tab=boxscore_statistics

Wow ! I didn't know that was humanly possible.

madmax
08-06-2016, 09:00 PM
I am saying Gobert is an elite defender. It has nothing to do with blocking shots. He can switch on the PnR vs almost all guards, he is VERY COORDINATED totally contrary to what you are saying. He is an elite defender and very, very good rebounder. He is a specialist. JV is a better player, nobody denies that or is trying to say otherwise. The comments about Gobert are a bit insulting though. Also saying arguments that because JV had a good series vs Whiteside, he is a shitty defender and got destroyed doesn't help.

Zaza plays in NBA too :D I just used the same logic you used in JV vs Whiteside to remind you of Zaza vs JV matchup which we all know how it looked. I am saying that is a bad logic to have.

an elite defender doesn't allow a guy coming from a foot injury to go 8 out of 9 against him in a blowout game...Bogut was raping him and there was no sign of elite defense to be seen. Once again, it was just one game, so it could have been a fluke. As for Jonas vs Whiteside, those were 7 high pressure playoff games, where teams have plenty of time to adjust. Once Jonas went down with an ankle injury, so did the Raptors chances in the playoffs too:)

CoachZ
08-06-2016, 09:02 PM
an elite defender doesn't allow a guy coming from a foot injury to go 8 out of 9 against him in a blowout game...Bogut was raping him and there was no sign of elite defense to be seen. Once again, it was just one game, so it could have been a fluke. As for Jonas vs Whiteside, those were 7 high pressure playoff games, where teams have plenty of time to adjust. Once Jonas went down with an ankle injury, so did the Raptors chances in the playoffs too:)

He also destroyed Pau Gasol, Marc Gasol and Serge Ibaka in the Mundobasket 2014. Basically all NBA stars who are much better players than he is. A game, or series, or even a year doesn't mean shit. You look at the body of work vs everybody. He is elite defender, not an elite player. Nothing will change that.

Also he came back from a serious injury himself. He was out for a long time and didn't play with Team France until the Cordoba tournament.

usagre
08-06-2016, 09:05 PM

Wow you love you some Valanciunas ! Like his participation in the Cavs series would have made a difference. If anything Byombo stepped up dominated the boards. He's the the third best and most important player on his team. Now you are reaching. And if you want to go on just one game performances, how about Gobert on Spain's home court against Pau, Marc and Ibaka in '14 ?

usagre
08-06-2016, 09:06 PM
He also destroyed Pau Gasol, Marc Gasol and Serge Ibaka in the Mundobasket 2014. Basically all NBA stars who are much better players than he is. A game, or series, or even a year doesn't mean shit. You look at the body of work vs everybody. He is elite defender, not an elite player. Nothing will change that.

Also he came back from a serious injury himself. He was out for a long time and didn't play with Team France until the Cordoba tournament.

Damn coach you beat me to it.

turk-jugoslav
08-06-2016, 09:11 PM
35 year-old old Pau: 40 points 11 rebounds 3 block( I count 4), defensive monster long limbed: 8 points 13 rebounds, 4 times blocked by old wolf. Yeah, defensive monster :)

Federoy
08-06-2016, 09:13 PM

France got to Rio because they trust in their system. I get that. But they're living dangerously if it takes their backs to be up against the wall for them to turn it up defensively. France had good offensive opportunities all game long, they just couldn't finish. Perhaps that's an aberration, but it's apparent to me this team needs more possessions if they can't get defensive stops. I don't expect 40 mins. of uptempo basketball, but they need to create more opportunities by pushing the ball more.

Perhaps the French did poor scouting. The Australians picked them apart on both baseline cuts and a few lob plays. These sort of things shouldn't happen if you're running a zone, so it either speaks to a total breakdown in defense or simply not adjusting to what your opponent is doing.

usagre
08-06-2016, 09:15 PM
35 year-old old Pau: 40 points 11 rebounds 3 block( I count 4), defensive monster long limbed: 8 points 13 rebounds, 4 times blocked by old wolf. Yeah, defensive monster :)

Go look up how Marc Gasol did against him in 2014 in Spain. He totally demoralized him.

auris1
08-06-2016, 09:16 PM
Would it be too much to ask for you ALL people to stay on topic ?

usagre
08-06-2016, 09:19 PM
I have an idea, instead of trying to find individual games where Gobert failed or succeeded defensively, how about we take his entire NBA regular season where he finished 7th in the defensive player of the year award voting against the best players in the world.

CoachZ
08-06-2016, 09:25 PM
France got to Rio because they trust in their system. I get that. But they're living dangerously if it takes their backs to be up against the wall for them to turn it up defensively. France had good offensive opportunities all game long, they just couldn't finish. Perhaps that's an aberration, but it's apparent to me this team needs more possessions if they can't get defensive stops. I don't expect 40 mins. of uptempo basketball, but they need to create more opportunities by pushing the ball more.

Perhaps the French did poor scouting. The Australians picked them apart on both baseline cuts and a few lob plays. These sort of things shouldn't happen if you're running a zone, so it either speaks to a total breakdown in defense or simply not adjusting to what your opponent is doing.

You said most of the things that need to happen. The main issue is that DeColo doesn't play well in a lineup with a PG that is so ball dominant but doesn't create or facilitate. For example he lights it up with Teodosic who will always do a great job to help him. He doesn't do as well, when Parker is doing his thing, because that is not Tony. He plays much better with Huertel in the lineup. If I was Collett, I would do something like this:

- Make the lineups more balanced and allow the scorers and playmakers to shine. First unit Parker - Batum - Kahudi - Diaw and Gobert and then run with Huertel - DeColo - Gelabale - Tillie - Lauvergn. Then you will have a better scoring balance and more room for your playmakers and facilitators. Now when they run Parker - DeColo - Batum - Diaw - Gobert, there aren't enough balls for that team to be successful :D. If they balance out the units a bit more, and keep the pressure in both units, then the tempo will naturally pick up, opposed to what is now. The key is to give De Colo, Batum, Gobert 25 minutes a game, Diaw and Parker 20. Then when the games are a bit tighter and more important, Tony and Boris can pick up some extra minutes.

That would make the team play better.

raph
08-06-2016, 09:36 PM
It was a total embarrassment. Of course we can play better. I don' think it was a lack of scouting or a lack or respect for aussies, but it feels like they did not care about the result.
At least Batum will spend less time doing selfies and tweets. Hopefully

auris1
08-06-2016, 09:38 PM

I would think that this french team is on decline . I know it is a strong word,decline , but in my opinion they have peaked a few years ago and haven't managed to sustain that level of play . Everyone got older yet they still rely on the same players .
Argentina relies on the players who are over 35 , Spain - on the players who are well over 30 . France comes third on this list , in my opinion . And they have had a tough summer .

Federoy
08-06-2016, 09:38 PM
You said most of the things that need to happen. The main issue is that DeColo doesn't play well in a lineup with a PG that is so ball dominant but doesn't create or facilitate. For example he lights it up with Teodosic who will always do a great job to help him. He doesn't do as well, when Parker is doing his thing, because that is not Tony. He plays much better with Huertel in the lineup. If I was Collett, I would do something like this:

- Make the lineups more balanced and allow the scorers and playmakers to shine. First unit Parker - Batum - Kahudi - Diaw and Gobert and then run with Huertel - DeColo - Gelabale - Tillie - Lauvergn. Then you will have a better scoring balance and more room for your playmakers and facilitators. Now when they run Parker - DeColo - Batum - Diaw - Gobert, there aren't enough balls for that team to be successful :D. If they balance out the units a bit more, and keep the pressure in both units, then the tempo will naturally pick up, opposed to what is now. The key is to give De Colo, Batum, Gobert 25 minutes a game, Diaw and Parker 20. Then when the games are a bit tighter and more important, Tony and Boris can pick up some extra minutes.

That would make the team play better.

Good assessment.

usagre
08-06-2016, 09:48 PM
I would think that this french team is on decline . I know it is a strong word,decline , but in my opinion they have peaked a few years ago and haven't managed to sustain that level of play . Everyone got older yet they still rely on the same players .
Argentina relies on the players who are over 35 , Spain - on the players who are well over 30 . France comes third on this list , in my opinion . And they have had a tough summer .

I think it's too early for decline talk. Obviously true for Parker and Diaw. But Batum and Decolo are now in their prime and Gobert has yet to reach it. I think it's almost a lock that they will be in the semis.

Ashtrusis_dantis
08-06-2016, 10:02 PM
It was a surprise how bad France looked. Not only they looked slow, but totally lost on defense. Sometimes it seemed players don't know what they have to do who to defend. Episode when Bogut dribbled around 3pt line, when slowly did 2 steps and dunked was very symptomatic... I can understand that physical condition of French players is not optimal, it is hard to reach peak twice in few weeks, but zero communication on defense is something unexpected.

auris1
08-06-2016, 10:05 PM
I think it's too early for decline talk. Obviously true for Parker and Diaw. But Batum and Decolo are now in their prime and Gobert has yet to reach it. I think it's almost a lock that they will be in the semis.
Why would go you as far as saying that France is a lock for semis is beyond my comprehension .
And they are just not as good as they used to be .

usagre
08-06-2016, 10:22 PM
Why would go you as far as saying that France is a lock for semis is beyond my comprehension .
And they are just not as good as they used to be .

I am basing it on their potential which I think will eventually come to fruition. On their best day they are far superior to Lithuania, Argentina, Brazil and Croatia who would be their obstacle to reaching the semis. I am putting no stock in today's outcome. I think it is fluky and a complete aberration. But if they don't plenty of teams failed to reach their potential including '96 Croatia, '00, '04 Serbia, and '04 USA.

auris1
08-06-2016, 10:44 PM
I am basing it on their potential which I think will eventually come to fruition. On their best day they are far superior to Lithuania, Argentina, Brazil and Croatia who would be their obstacle to reaching the semis. I am putting no stock in today's outcome. I think it is fluky and a complete aberration. But if they don't plenty of teams failed to reach their potential including '96 Croatia, '00, '04 Serbia, and '04 USA.
Far superior ? Stop it . On the best day ? ON the best day France could beat USA . Hell,ON the best day anyone could be beat USA . Things do not work this way ,

Shawshank
08-06-2016, 11:06 PM
Im still better player Australia in 1/4 instead of France without even thinking...When this France team will wake up even Spain will not want to meet them in 1/4...For France is problem now even if they beat Serbia,they have very bad +- and can end up in 4th position before playoofs even with 3-2 record :)

This Australia is saw before summer,but those friendlys games killed my believe in them...but ausies gonna lose 1/4 as always :)

usagre
08-06-2016, 11:14 PM
Far superior ? Stop it . On the best day ? ON the best day France could beat USA . Hell,ON the best day anyone could be beat USA . Things do not work this way ,

Ok I'll rephrase it for you, if they play to their potential and those teams I mentioned played to theirs they are better than all of them. Or if they play their average game and those teams play their average game they are better than all of them as well. Of course it doesn't work that way but it gives them the initial foundation in which they are better. Further proof will be in the fact that they will be favored against all those teams I mentioned should they meet.

Straight forward
08-06-2016, 11:26 PM
Ok I'll rephrase it for you, if they play to their potential and those teams I mentioned played to theirs they are better than all of them. Or if they play their average game and those teams play their average game they are better than all of them as well. Of course it doesn't work that way but it gives them the initial foundation in which they are better. Further proof will be in the fact that they will be favored against all those teams I mentioned should they meet.

I agree, but have in mind Lithuania gotten better this year, so did Croatia (even though I'm not ranking them in the same line as knock out stage goes as of yet). I don't see France being any better this year. I think Parker and Diaw are still key for them and they are not getting any better. So surely better, but I would wait to see if that statement far better is not exaggeration.

usagre
08-06-2016, 11:35 PM
I agree, but have in mind Lithuania gotten better this year, so did Croatia (even though I'm not ranking them in the same line as knock out stage goes as of yet). I don't see France being any better this year. I think Parker and Diaw are still key for them and they are not getting any better. So surely better, but I would wait to see if that statement far better is not exaggeration.

You're right I probably overstated it. Just better because they would be favored against all those teams but not by much.

madmax
08-06-2016, 11:42 PM
You're right I probably overstated it. Just better because they would be favored against all those teams but not by much.

if we're looking at just the names and contract sizes on those rosters, then yeah - France is probably much better:cool: However, basketball doesn't work this way in real life, as it is a team game first and foremost. And less talented players can be more valuable to their squads than supposed "stars"

usagre
08-06-2016, 11:45 PM
if we're looking at just the names and contract sizes on those rosters, then yeah - France is probably much better:cool: However, basketball doesn't work this way in real life, as it is a team game first and foremost. And less talented players can be more valuable to their squads than supposed "stars"

Why France hasn't translated those names and contracts into results ? Gold and Silver Eurobaskets and knocking out Spain on their home court in 2014 don't count ?

madmax
08-06-2016, 11:50 PM
Why France hasn't translated those names and contracts into results ? Gold and Silver Eurobaskets and knocking out Spain on their home court in 2014 don't count ?

I thought we're discussing this year's french team, or are we still living in the past? Once upon the time Argentina was toying with NBA stars in 2004 Olympic semifinal...are they still the same team as back then?:rolleyes:

usagre
08-06-2016, 11:51 PM
I thought we're discussing this year's french team, or are we still living in the past? Once upon the time Argentina was toying with NBA stars in 2004 Olympic final...are they still the same team as back then?:rolleyes:

12 years ago and 2 or 3 years ago is a bit different don't you think ?

usagre
08-06-2016, 11:54 PM
Am I missing something ? 3rd , 3rd and 1st the last 3 years, and now they suck and are gonna fall off the map ?

madmax
08-06-2016, 11:57 PM
Am I missing something ? 3rd , 3rd and 1st the last 3 years, and now they suck and are gonna fall off the map ?

who said that?
They definitely didn't look like the world beaters today and all this summer long so far. Until they show some actual quality basketball, we have all the rights in the world to doubt them.

thespywhozaggedme
08-07-2016, 03:45 AM
Why aren't Jinx, Fournier and Petro on the French team? Jinx is a mountain of a man with a very well rounded game and Fournier is a great young sg.

judasmartel
08-07-2016, 04:56 AM
Wow, I expected the game to go either way but I didn't expect France to get rekt this hard.