PDA

View Full Version : [Turin-Final] Italy vs. Croatia

Dtown
07-09-2016, 01:15 AM
Surprised this wasn't up yet. Italy edged Croatia in the group stages, will we see a repeat performance? Who punches a ticket to the Olympics?

Italy (last OLY appearance 2004)

or

Croatia (last OLY appearance 2008)

JGX
07-09-2016, 02:10 AM
It would be nice to see this group of Italy players make a major tournament at least once. Croatia's young guys still have more chances in the future.

Mindozas
07-09-2016, 06:01 AM
Again, don't believe in this Croatia. Greece can only blame themselves for not taking a big chance of Croats choking yesterday, I bet Italy won't be that merciful... So Italy it is

Picek
07-09-2016, 07:56 AM
Sorry for hijacking the thread..
Looking for tickets for tonight, if anyone from greeks is willing to sell the ticket please send me a messagge.

Obina
07-09-2016, 09:25 AM
It's 50 50 game.

Toxicity
07-09-2016, 10:41 AM
Meanwhile the croatian coach Aza Petrovic is heating up the pre-game with his words about "19 ref mistakes pro-Italy in the stage game"... :rolleyes:

Mozart
07-09-2016, 01:11 PM
Meanwhile the croatian coach Aza Petrovic is heating up the pre-game with his words about "19 ref mistakes pro-Italy in the stage game"... :rolleyes:

there was an huge mistake during the first match on the scoreboard : before the end of 2nd qt, they set +2pt to Italy whilst none has ever scored

Toxicity
07-09-2016, 02:10 PM
there was an huge mistake during the first match on the scoreboard : before the end of 2nd qt, they set +2pt to Italy whilst none has ever scored

Fixed before the start of the 3rd quarter... so in the end it was just a temporary mistake.

R1ou
07-09-2016, 02:19 PM

Can he tell us about yesterday where Croatia shot 16 more FT and get plenty offensive and over the back calls?

Italian Pride
07-09-2016, 02:53 PM
Ahahahahah Petrovic!

Italian supporters wait Aza this evening with much love :D

Mozart
07-09-2016, 03:39 PM
Fixed before the start of the 3rd quarter... so in the end it was just a temporary mistake.

too late, also because everyone realized the score was wrong instantly,
anyway unbelievable mistake added to all the others

note : the ref was serbian (not such a great idea !)

Dtown
07-09-2016, 07:22 PM
The winner so far is the clocks.

usagre
07-09-2016, 07:45 PM
Bargnani and Gallinari in early foul trouble on their home court is an interesting turn of events.

Obina
07-09-2016, 08:20 PM
As I said Croatia has a solid chance.

Some ita key players are out of shape, Datome is the best IMO but there is no enough balls for him.

Dtown
07-09-2016, 08:47 PM
tight game in the fourth

looking like it will be a great finish, Italy's crowd being a huge factor, absolutely electric.

remigijus
07-09-2016, 09:17 PM
What a Game. Intense Stuff.

Dtown
07-09-2016, 09:19 PM
And to overtime! Would have been amazing if that full court shot had went in.

raph
07-09-2016, 09:19 PM
Fun game, i am pretty amazed to see croats defend for once.

Maybe too much hero ball from Belinelli though.

R1ou
07-09-2016, 09:29 PM
Alessandro Gentile...

Dtown
07-09-2016, 09:30 PM
that looks like the end Italy's offense just couldn't get its act together when Gallinari fouled out.

Congrats to Croatia, great day for former Yugoslavia.

remigijus
07-09-2016, 09:32 PM
Congrats to Croatia. Well deserved win.

fasoulaki
07-09-2016, 09:33 PM
Congratulations Croatia! Well deserved!

Obina
07-09-2016, 09:34 PM
I always said, Gentile is the worst player on the world. No serious basketball with this guy.

raph
Congrats croats, they deserved it from how they played today. But i feel sorry for Italy and this generation( gallo, belinelli, datome..).
Lithuania, Spain, Croatia, Serbia... I hope France is not gonna chocke tomorrow...

JGX
Well at least I have a month to figure out which Bogdanovic plays for which team.

usagre
2 former Yugoslav republics flexed their muscles today and go to the Olympics together for the first time since 1996.

R1ou
07-09-2016, 09:35 PM
I always said, Gentile is the worst player on the world. No serious basketball with this guy.

It seems that my friend has the same opinion with you.He told me EXACTLY the same thing when the match was over!

wilhelm
07-09-2016, 09:36 PM
Saric is a monster player with balls of steel!! Pure clutch and he is definitely not afraid to take initiative in dying moments.
Kudos to Croatia, a team which was immensely underappreciated for no real reason by the vast majority here even if they have a few players that other (european) national teams would kill to have.
Italy should really sue Gentile for his mistake in the end.This guy has the attitude of an all star while being mediocre at best especially here.
Also a fun fact.For 3 years in a row the team that knocks out Greece gets to win the tournament in the end :cool: .I should invest on that in following tournaments

papalouki-louk
07-09-2016, 09:36 PM
Gentile is a fucking joke
I seriously hate that idiot

R1ou
07-09-2016, 09:38 PM
Saric is a monster player with balls of steel!! Pure clutch and he is definitely not afraid to take initiative in dying moments.
Kudos to Croatia, a team which was immensely underappreciated for no real reason by the vast majority here even if they have a few players that other (european) national teams would kill to have.
Italy should really sue Gentile for his mistake in the end.This guy has the attitude of an all star while being mediocre at best especially here.
Also a fun fact.For 3 years in a row the team that knocks out Greece gets to win the tournament in the end :cool: .I should invest on that in following tournaments

We are going to win the next Eurobasket,don't bet anything against us.

Levenspiel
07-09-2016, 09:44 PM
I had picked Croatia to qualify from Torino. They're a pretty good team. Congrats.

Oly_fan
07-09-2016, 09:48 PM
More rest for Hacket is welcome, well done to the Croats. They closed out both games like they haven't done in a while.

unnamed
07-09-2016, 09:55 PM
Congratulations Croatia. Finally some basketball from this national team

Apollo64
07-09-2016, 10:05 PM
That was a hell of a game, could have been easily a Eurobasket final/semifinal!

reamily
07-09-2016, 10:14 PM
That was a hell of a game, could have been easily a Eurobasket final/semifinal!

Abslutely, ou knew how high the level if Spain France or Serbia have their 5th gear in games..And I m not even including Greece and Lithuania in here.. Such competitive european field..

ThePeraCar
07-09-2016, 10:25 PM
Congratulations, its always good to see two Serbian MVP's on two qualifying tournaments

Victorious
07-09-2016, 10:34 PM
Also a fun fact.For 3 years in a row the team that knocks out Greece gets to win the tournament in the end

And Greece is always favorite against them.

Croatia deserved to win this tournament. But I must say that -of the three European teams - they were the least favorite in this tournament. This was a key factor.

R1ou
07-09-2016, 10:43 PM
So Croatia qualified for the OQT because FIBA wanted Turkey to participate instead of Lebanon and then called the next two higher ranked teams of the Eurobasket in order to make everyone happy :) ?

Fully deserved,didn't even think that they could manage to keep the lead for such long time.Radja,Vrankovic and Kukoc surely inspired those guys.@GreekBasketballFederation I hope you see it.

usagre
07-09-2016, 10:47 PM
So Croatia qualified for the OQT because FIBA wanted Turkey to participate instead of Lebanon and then called the next two higher ranked teams of the Eurobasket in order to make everyone happy :) ?

It doesn't matter they earned it. They beat you and the host on their home court.

R1ou
07-09-2016, 10:52 PM
It doesn't matter they earned it. They beat you and the host on their home court.

Look the second part of the post.And you know it yourself they could never earn it if they weren't there.

usagre
07-09-2016, 10:54 PM
Look the second part of the post.And you know it yourself they could never earn it if they weren't there.

I hear what you are saying but once they got in they showed they were worthy by performing well and earning the Olympic birth.

Srle
07-09-2016, 10:55 PM
Horrible level of basketball by both teams, missing free throws, dumb turnovers , bad decisions in the offense. And what a performance by Gentile in the last minute of OT:confused: Mesina came out of this tournament as a big phony again, as I said before,Italy has doughnut inside the paint, they were dominated by Planinic :rolleyes: Italy just not tough enough.

sixama23
07-09-2016, 10:58 PM

Croatia was ranked 9th in last year's Eurobasket. They qualified to the OQT based on their Eurobasket ranking after Serbia and Italy got the hosting rights for two of the tournaments. Nothing to do with the wildcard given to Turkey.

Well deserved win for the Croats!

Terrorizer
07-09-2016, 11:04 PM
This Croatia is a totally mediocre team which lives by the principle 'no hustle, no glory' unlike previous, more talented and terrifically more deep editions (I mean, PG was not the best spot in the Croatian team some 6-8 years ago but on that position they had a rotation of Planinic-Ukic-Popovic, all in their prime). And in the end this Croatia wins against opponents who are significantly better quality-wise. It's no surprise that they won against this Italy though.

I've always said that if Italy has its NBAish stars trio (Belinelli, Bargnani, Gallinari) in the roster, then this team is doomed to fail. This team will suck in defending the paint and once it doesn't lead +20, its leaders' shot selection would deteriorate to downright abysmal in a blink of an eye. But here we had another Appeninian primadonna in Gentile who made hotheaded and dumb Belinelli looking like an incarnation of restraint and poise. If Hackett was at least a decent shooter or refs were less strict in giving out dubious fouls to Italian leaders, especially to Gallo and Datome (definitely not a 'hosts-favouring refereeing' today despite a mistake which cost unsympathetic rowdy Petrovic an undeserved technical) or Gallinari was kinda more cunning and stamina-heavy, it could easily turn the other way but there is a logic in exactly this outcome.

After all, Italian federation can't come up with anything better than inviting Retardossina as a head coach, the same Retardossina who started to deteriorate rapidly exactly after his championship with CSKA, was close to being worthless in his first season in Madrid and is totally an ex-coach ever since his second Madrid season. I mean, Bozo Maljkovic is more modern and 'actual' coach who is up-to-date to nowadays basketball realities than this Popovich's 'handkerchief manager'. Here he looked lost with his assistents often trying to prompt Italian players something while that Messina retard was just staring into the space. Not a fan of hysterical and mean-tempered Petrovic by any means but at least he is an actual basketball coach, a mediocre and unsympathetic one, but still. We've seen overrated Katizikaris's failure, maybe tomorrow we'll see the same from equally mediocre Gelabale-lover Collet but this side of Spahija I don't even know who could out outcrap Messina. It's funny that a moron like Spahija also found a coaching position overseas. NBA managers surely are in the league of their own if knowledge of continental basketball is concerned.

P.S. Datome and Melli were good for Italy, feel pity for them as I really liked them both in this game, especially the latter's performance, nothing glossy or jaw-dropping but extremely useful, concentrated and quality game for Nicolo. Not try to do anything you most probably would end ridiculed for and play your game, utilizing your strengths - that's a Melli's recipe. And we see that following this recipe is enough for him to be a 50 times more useful player than most 'legit NBA-level stars'. Kudos!

pohani komarac
07-10-2016, 12:04 AM
This Croatia is a totally mediocre team which lives by the principle 'no hustle, no glory' unlike previous, more talented and terrifically more deep editions (I mean, PG was not the best spot in the Croatian team some 6-8 years ago but on that position they had a rotation of Planinic-Ukic-Popovic, all in their prime). And in the end this Croatia wins against opponents who are significantly better quality-wise. It's no surprise that they won against this Italy though.

I've always said that if Italy has its NBAish stars trio (Belinelli, Bargnani, Gallinari) in the roster, then this team is doomed to fail. This team will suck in defending the paint and once it doesn't lead +20, its leaders' shot selection would deteriorate to downright abysmal in a blink of an eye. But here we had another Appeninian primadonna in Gentile who made hotheaded and dumb Belinelli looking like an incarnation of restraint and poise. If Hackett was at least a decent shooter or refs were less strict in giving out dubious fouls to Italian leaders, especially to Gallo and Datome (definitely not a 'hosts-favouring refereeing' today despite a mistake which cost unsympathetic rowdy Petrovic an undeserved technical) or Gallinari was kinda more cunning and stamina-heavy, it could easily turn the other way but there is a logic in exactly this outcome.

After all, Italian federation can't come up with anything better than inviting Retardossina as a head coach, the same Retardossina who started to deteriorate rapidly exactly after his championship with CSKA, was close to being worthless in his first season in Madrid and is totally an ex-coach ever since his second Madrid season. I mean, Bozo Maljkovic is more modern and 'actual' coach who is up-to-date to nowadays basketball realities than this Popovich's 'handkerchief manager'. Here he looked lost with his assistents often trying to prompt Italian players something while that Messina retard was just staring into the space. Not a fan of hysterical and mean-tempered Petrovic by any means but at least he is an actual basketball coach, a mediocre and unsympathetic one, but still. We've seen overrated Katizikaris's failure, maybe tomorrow we'll see the same from equally mediocre Gelabale-lover Collet but this side of Spahija I don't even know who could out outcrap Messina. It's funny that a moron like Spahija also found a coaching position overseas. NBA managers surely are in the league of their own if knowledge of continental basketball is concerned.

P.S. Datome and Melli were good for Italy, feel pity for them as I really liked them both in this game, especially the latter's performance, nothing glossy or jaw-dropping but extremely useful, concentrated and quality game for Nicolo. Not try to do anything you most probably would end ridiculed for and play your game, utilizing your strengths - that's a Melli's recipe. And we see that following this recipe is enough for him to be a 50 times more useful player than most 'legit NBA-level stars'. Kudos!

Basically everyone is crap, nobady can coach or play, they are all dumbass, retarded, stupid....?

Just because you are failure, that doesn't make others failures. Hope for your own sake, you realise that one day

pohani komarac
07-10-2016, 12:15 AM

Fully deserved,didn't even think that they could manage to keep the lead for such long time.Radja,Vrankovic and Kukoc surely inspired those guys.@GreekBasketballFederation I hope you see it.

With last eurobasket we didn't, but we got maybe gift from Fiba not handling spot to some other continent. But here we deserved it, with approach and wins over Iran, Greece and Italy on their home court.

Imo, funny most of you don't have same problems with Euroleague where most of teams don't need to deserve their place in competition.

Oly_fan
07-10-2016, 12:37 AM
Imo, funny most of you don't have same problems with Euroleague where most of teams don't need to deserve their place in competition.
Teams in the adriatic league can't complain, all they have to do is win their league and they'll get a place in euroleague.

pohani komarac
07-10-2016, 12:47 AM
Teams in the adriatic league can't complain, all they have to do is win their league and they'll get a place in euroleague.

So what?

Sport is not about me or us. I was saying same thing when Cibona had contract and now. And thank God you all can check what I was writing then about subject . I love my Cibona, but I don't want them playing EL because they suck Jordi's dick. To me non of you have my respect who support this unfair, unsportsman like competition.

Titov Pionir
07-10-2016, 01:34 AM
See you in Rio :))))

Mindozas
07-10-2016, 10:04 AM
Uf, that was unexpected. Didn't watch the game due to heavy partyin' yesterday, but didn't expect Croats to make it. Congrats, well done

Mozart
07-10-2016, 01:08 PM
congrats to Croatia and Petrovic
they won in Italy also against refreee (even yesterday Aza was right and they gave him a technical foul...that made +6pts to Italy)

Concerning Italy and Gentile is the same old story : we do have 5/6 players (3Nba'ers + Hackett + Datome + Melli)
if they're not on the court when the ball is hot, we have poor bench players
and the worst one is Gentile : he pretends to be LBJ but it's just a weakness for his team : he always stops the ball, play by himiself and shoot too much
(he also pretend to be a great shooter :D whilst he's not a shooter : just look at how he shoot even the free throws)
also Gallinari is a couple of years that is complaing about Gentile shooting or ballhandling in the last periods of the game
remember that we lost in eurobasket 2015 once again because Gentile had the last ball and did nothing for 20 second until he took a bad shot that of course he missed)

Italian Pride
07-10-2016, 03:21 PM
Congrats to Croatia!

Generation of losers is out,maybe the last time we'll see these scrubs play with our NT!

Oly_fan
07-10-2016, 03:26 PM
So what?

Sport is not about me or us. I was saying same thing when Cibona had contract and now. And thank God you all can check what I was writing then about subject . I love my Cibona, but I don't want them playing EL because they suck Jordi's dick. To me non of you have my respect who support this unfair, unsportsman like competition.

Well, that's what I'm talking about. Cibona will never play in euroleague unless they win the adriatic league first. Basketball justice.

softice
07-10-2016, 04:31 PM
Well i won't lie. I had in my mind Italy for favorite and then Greece. I didn't expect it but it's full worthy
I voted Italy Serbia and France for winners

Italy on his own court and they lost? They don't deserve it
I told about Greek team yesterday. Without outside shot you can't go anywhere - We didn't deserve it
Congratulations to Croatia (I think i had many years to say this) :)

Terrorizer
07-11-2016, 12:30 AM
Just because you are failure, that doesn't make others failures. Hope for your own sake, you realise that one day
Calm down, you don't need to take it to the heart just because Croatia has a mediocre national team :) I voice my personal opininon about quality of some professional sportspeople, coaches including, but I don't make judgements about other forum members, so I hope you will stop to insult people for what they write here. You are free to disagree with me and you certainly can present your counterarguments if you find my opinions to be wrong but writing something like 'you are failure' don't add anything to your argumentation. Hope you will realise it one day :)

Of course, there are some people who believe that Messina is a great coach nowadays, Hezonja is a legitimate heir to Drazen Petrovic, Belinelli and Alessandro Gentile are among the most intelligent players imagineable and Bargnani is a prime example of lockdown defense in the paint. Well, to each his own beliefs, I guess.

P.S. I never said that, for example, Kruno Simon or Luigi Datome are 'dumbasses, retarded, stupid'. Just because they are not :)

Picek
07-11-2016, 06:59 AM
And to overtime! Would have been amazing if that full court shot had went in.
amazing for whom?
I was at the stands when Kecman scored his in 2010. and my team lost the title.
unreal feeling.
I was at the stands on saturday as well, if that one had went in I would surely stop following basketball.

after the first Italy - Croatia game on this tournament Messina commented:
"Have you ever heard Aco Petrović looking the cause for defeat in basketball reasons?
And I know him for thirty years."

Aco Petrović after the second Italy - Croatia game during the press conference:
"In the semifinal and final game on one side we had a coach who is a volunteer, working for 0 kuna (0 € as well) and on the other side were Katsikaris and Messina who are working for millions. That couldn't be seen on the floor. Moreover I think I tactically destroyed them."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_8hEFk21Bw

great game, great defensive effort and great team play by us.
Šarić with huge balls and huge effort.
song they were singing when they got out of the bus to greet us while exiting the pala alpitour?
the same song Šarić teached Blessingame when Cibona won the ABA title in 2013.

there won't be any changes made in our team for the OG.
these 12 will go.
well deserved.

check out the celebration while exiting locker room:

https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fkrun oslav.simon%2Fvideos%2F10209258538436114%2F&display=popup&ref=plugin&src=video

Oly_fan
07-11-2016, 04:10 PM
"...Moreover I think I tactically destroyed them."

Humble.:cool:

Mozart
07-11-2016, 06:10 PM
amazing for whom?
after the first Italy - Croatia game on this tournament Messina commented:
"Have you ever heard Aco Petrović looking the cause for defeat in basketball reasons?
And I know him for thirty years."

Aco Petrović after the second Italy - Croatia game during the press conference:
"In the semifinal and final game on one side we had a coach who is a volunteer, working for 0 kuna (0 € as well) and on the other side were Katsikaris and Messina who are working for millions. That couldn't be seen on the floor. Moreover I think I tactically destroyed them."

before the final match, Aza complained about ref during the first match, he said there were 19 errors in favour of Italy

everyone was making fun of him in Italy
in the final game there were also ref errors and Aza took a technical foul even if he was right (Melli blocked the ball after it has already hitten the glass, so it should have been +2pts to Croatia, instead of none and techincal foul, free throw and ball possesion to Italy))

He destroyed Messina, the supposed o wannabe "guru" of the bench

only thing to add is that Messina coached NT for free, as him.

Picek
07-11-2016, 07:34 PM
before the final match, Aza complained about ref during the first match, he said there were 19 errors in favour of Italy

everyone was making fun of him in Italy
in the final game there were also ref errors and Aza took a technical foul even if he was right (Melli blocked the ball after it has already hitten the glass, so it should have been +2pts to Croatia, instead of none and techincal foul, free throw and ball possesion to Italy))

He destroyed Messina, the supposed o wannabe "guru" of the bench

the 19 errors thing was shown and discussed even before the greece semifinal game.
so you could have made fun on him then.
but now, since he will coach the team on the OG and italians will watch another OG on tv, i guess he has every right to make fool of everyone who was making fun of him.

that thing was also a tactical move from his side but if you would watch the first Italy - Croatia game again I'm sure you could count atleast 10 mistakes in favour of Italy.
the fact Vasquez was a ref on all four italian games also goes in his favour.
Vasquez was also the worst ref of the final.

when we speak about tactics, just as an example. in all three prep games we played small ball. in the first game against Italy we didn't. not even once.
in the second one we did, quite succesfully and Messina couldn't adapt. etc. etc.

regarding the paycheck, he was referring to their club paychecks as well.
Aco is a club president, not a coach anymore.

he is gloating and has all the reasons behind him to do that, he was even too humble in it for my taste.

Mozart
07-11-2016, 07:50 PM
I didn't say I was making fun, they were
I'm not used to talk that much about ref (but I'm new here so you cannot know it) but I've pointed out that one of the first game ref was serbian (and wrote not such a geat idea!), didn't even noticed what you wrote about Vasquez
I also knew it was more a tactical move than a complain, a well done move to boost his team
I wrote Aza was right to be upset for the 2pts added to Italy when nobody scored (go back and read) and he was right during the final game when they didn't allowed that basket blocked by Melli.
I think you misunderstood or I didn't explain well, because of my (poor) english

pohani komarac
07-11-2016, 10:09 PM
Aco is Aco. As a player he liked to provocate and add tensions, same as coach. He likes to make shows.

But on Croatian forum he apologise for technical against Greece, as he brought back them in game. As for those vs Italy, he said he made them intentionally. :D

R1ou
07-11-2016, 11:03 PM

Katsikaris as well.He was out of contract after the last Eurobasket with the NT.