PDA

View Full Version : Manila OQT Group A Day 2: Canada - Senegal

judasmartel
07-05-2016, 02:55 PM
Canada, fresh from a close win vs Turkey, will face Senegal in the first game of the second day of the Manila OQT.

With D'Almeida and Dieng out, Canada is heavily favored to win this one.

judasmartel
07-06-2016, 10:47 AM
22-20 Canada after 1. Senegal's athleticism giving the Canadians a hard time. I know this is wishful thinking, but I would rather Senegal top the group than Canada, but our team needs to win vs NZ first and pray France beats NZ as well.

JGX
07-06-2016, 10:53 AM
Joel Anthony with a career-high four points in the first quarter.

judasmartel
07-06-2016, 11:40 AM
42-35 Canada with 2 minutes remaining in the 3rd. Low-scoring defensive game so far. Both teams missing shots from the field and the free throw line.

judasmartel
07-06-2016, 12:18 PM
58-55 Canada. Senegal fought hard but came up short.

Canada tops Group A and will face the top 2 seed from Group B.

Mindozas
07-06-2016, 12:24 PM
Couldn't watch entire game, but in those moments I saw, it was so damn ugly... 32 vs 28 FG% says it all I guess. That decisive missed open shot by Hannah with 20s to go described game the best

JGX
07-06-2016, 12:24 PM
Rough last three quarters but Canada just holds on for the 58-55 win, with Hannah missing an open three to give Senegal the lead when it was 55-53, and then air-balling a three at the buzzer when he may have gotten a little bump from Joseph. Heslip and P Scrubb couldn't hit anything, Thompson rebounded well but a good example of why even a high-quality NBA role player isn't necessarily suited to carry a team in a different situation.

Have to credit Maurice Ndour showing up for Senegal, surely he could be playing summer league instead. Shame that Dieng isn't playing, this would be a dangerous team with another offensive threat.

judasmartel
07-06-2016, 12:35 PM
Canada had a hard time dealing with the defense, athleticism, and heart of the Lions of Senegal. D'Almeida and Dieng could have made this team more dangerous.

Mindozas
07-06-2016, 12:46 PM
Canada had a hard time dealing with the defense, athleticism, and heart of the Lions of Senegal. D'Almeida and Dieng could have made this team more dangerous.

Hannah was naturalized after injury of D'Almeida, so it was not a loss, Hannah is just better, palyin' in top Spanish league. Another story is Dieng, looking how bad canada was, he surely could lead Senegal to victory and probably would. He is huge difference maker for Senegal

Hepcat
07-06-2016, 01:15 PM
Heslip and P Scrubb couldn't hit anything....

Phil Scrubb had an absolutely wretched game, and Brady Heslip somehow managed to be a touch worse. Team Canada was lucky Senegal's Maurice Ndour fouled out because he was having his way with Canada all game.

:eek:

Mojado
07-06-2016, 02:37 PM
Hannah was naturalized after injury of D'Almeida, so it was not a loss, Hannah is just better, palyin' in top Spanish league. Another story is Dieng, looking how bad canada was, he surely could lead Senegal to victory and probably would. He is huge difference maker for Senegal

Hannah was 1 out of 7 from the three...last posession should have went to Ndoye.

thespywhozaggedme
07-06-2016, 03:36 PM
Why does Triano refuse to play Ejim at the 3? JT is such a bad coach.

Mindozas
07-06-2016, 03:43 PM
Hannah was 1 out of 7 from the three...last posession should have went to Ndoye.

I don't know what the original plan was, maybe even not like that, but when Canada feckup up and Hannah was left wide open, there was no other choice just shoot. His miss is another story... 1/7 or 5/7, he should've made it, no excuses

mojo13
07-06-2016, 07:30 PM
Rough last three quarters but Canada just holds on for the 58-55 win, with Hannah missing an open three to give Senegal the lead when it was 55-53, and then air-balling a three at the buzzer when he may have gotten a little bump from Joseph. Heslip and P Scrubb couldn't hit anything, Thompson rebounded well but a good example of why even a high-quality NBA role player isn't necessarily suited to carry a team in a different situation.

Have to credit Maurice Ndour showing up for Senegal, surely he could be playing summer league instead. Shame that Dieng isn't playing, this would be a dangerous team with another offensive threat.

I agree with this assessment. Horrid game for Canada. We will have no chance against a country like France and probably lose to NZ if we play like this again.

No one can hit a shot from the outside. Ennis just passes up open look, when guys go under a screen. Scrubb and Heslip were indeed terrible. Heslip is useless when he shoots 0-7 from three with many open looks. He brings nothing else to the table and is a matador on defense. Ugly. There is just no go to offense on this version of the team. It is horrbily imbalanced without one or two of Olynyk, Nicholson, Stuaskas or Wiggins (or Lyles/Murray for that matter).

I am perplexed Khem Birch received a DNP in place of washed up Joel Anthony - but since I am no fan of Jay Triano I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. The team looked far better in warm-up games and the addition of Tristan Thompson seems to have really clogged up what little offensive chemistry this team had. There is no Lebron James to make Tristan Thompson look like a almost competent professional basketball player on the offensive side of the ball.

Federoy
07-07-2016, 01:20 AM
I agree with this assessment. Horrid game for Canada. We will have no chance against a country like France and probably lose to NZ if we play like this again.

No one can hit a shot from the outside. Ennis just passes up open look, when guys go under a screen. Scrubb and Heslip were indeed terrible. Heslip is useless when he shoots 0-7 from three with many open looks. He brings nothing else to the table and is a matador on defense. Ugly. There is just no go to offense on this version of the team. It is horrbily imbalanced without one or two of Olynyk, Nicholson, Stuaskas or Wiggins (or Lyles/Murray for that matter).

I am perplexed Khem Birch received a DNP in place of washed up Joel Anthony - but since I am no fan of Jay Triano I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. The team looked far better in warm-up games and the addition of Tristan Thompson seems to have really clogged up what little offensive chemistry this team had. There is no Lebron James to make Tristan Thompson look like a almost competent professional basketball player on the offensive side of the ball.

I was ready to anoint Canada the Manila OQT crown, but then this. I'm not surprised by the game being close. Senegal is an emerging basketball power (they beat Croatia and Puerto Rico at the World Cup), so they certainly can ball with anyone under the right circumstances. What floors me is that with all the talent and athleticism Triano has at his disposal, his squad could only muster a meager 58 points and basically get no production out of Scrubb or Heslip, both of whom should flourish in these sort of tight, restrictive games. Very disappointing result. I still think they can win the tournament, but they had better get a helluva lot better if they plan on packing for Rio.