Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best national basketball team ever sent by the PBA for the Asian Games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best national basketball team ever sent by the PBA for the Asian Games?

What for u is the best national basketball team assembled ever by the PBA for the Asian Games? The PBA made a landmark decision by sending its 1st national squad in 1990 Beijing Asian Games coached by Robert Jaworski. The all-pro squad were bannered by superstars Ramon Fernandez, Alvin Patrimonio, Samboy Lim, Allan Caidic, Benjie Paras, Ronnie Magsanoc, Hector Calma, Yves Dignadice, Chito Loyzaga, Dante Gonzalgo, Zaldy Realubit and the late Rey Cuenco. The PBA's effort led us for a finals berth. However, a superior and taller chinese squad led by Ma Jian beat the filipinos, 90-76 for the gold.
    For me, the best nat'l squad sent by the PBA was the Centennial Team in 1998 Bangkok Asian Games led by Johnny Abarrientos and Kenneth Duremdes. We won a bronze medal for that against Kazakhstan.

Pba???

Pro bowlers association? I didn't think asians were two sport stars?

Comment

Originally posted by theblackswans
      U baby do not belong to this category, hahahhahahha. Go back to euro forum, U remind me of jughead from newscomics...

Comment

Baby, do me a favor ok . Stop using US flag below your username, u are bringing shame to americans as far as basketball sense is concern

Comment

Pba

Yes, everyone loves Philipinio bball since it has such a grand tradition...

You need medicine, your sick in the head.

Comment

Yes, everyone loves Philipinio bball since it has such a grand tradition...

You need medicine, your sick in the head.
            tsk.tsk.tsk... bad AMERICAN.. BAD!!!!!!!

Comment

For me, talent wise, its the 2002 Busan Asiad team. They are also the tallest team when it comes to average height. They almost beat S.Korea if not for the bad officiating in the last two minutes of the game which favors the host team and also the desperation 3 point shot by lee sung min that went in. We could be the silvermedalist. But what is the weakness of this team is lack of heart. After the lost to China and S.Korea. they easily give up and gave the win to Kazahkstan in the battle for bronze. They didn't show their pride not unlike the Centennial Team in 1998, after the lost to China and S.Korea, they were still fired up and they show their pride. It was really a total team effort in the last 5 minutes of the game againts kazakhstan which is a see saw battle.

“Hindi ko na inaano ‘yun (mapasama sa pool) eh,” Santos said. “Kung susumahin mo ang buhay naming mga player, ‘san ba talaga ang first priority namin, ‘di ba? Ang first priority ko, dahil dito ko nakuha lahat ng kagandahan ng buhay ko at para sa pamilya ko, ang San Miguel. Alam naman ng lahat ‘yun. Ito ang dapat kong paglingkuran.”

Comment

The best national team by the PBA is the 1990 RP-PBA National Team coached by Robert Jaworski... the team includes Alvin Patrimonio, Benjie Paras, Ramon Jaworski, Samboy Lim (named the 1990 Asiad Mythical Five Selection) and the 1990 PBA Most Valuable Player Allan Caidic (despite suffering an injury... he remain a threat to the oppositions)...

The team was only formed for two weeks but managed to finished second and captured the silver medal!...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by donmar
                  The best national team by the PBA is the 1990 RP-PBA National Team coached by Robert Jaworski... the team includes Alvin Patrimonio, Benjie Paras, Ramon Jaworski, Samboy Lim (named the 1990 Asiad Mythical Five Selection) and the 1990 PBA Most Valuable Player Allan Caidic (despite suffering an injury... he remain a threat to the oppositions)...

The team was only formed for two weeks but managed to finished second and captured the silver medal!...

I agree...1990 team is the best...
                  all local players too...

Comment

Originally posted by donmar

i agree! for me they are the best. if only they have a lot of time for practice i think that time they have a chance to get the gold.

Comment

Originally posted by princejunar
                      i agree! for me they are the best. if only they have a lot of time for practice i think that time they have a chance to get the gold.
                      i do agree! but.. it is another "what if" about the RP team

so let's not take chances right now in our RP team

let's do the best formula possible and accept whatever the outcome is

as for me..I haven't watched the 1990 team back then

but i think it was the best PBA team sent to the Asian Games
                      It's ironic to see limited efforts from players with maximum salary.
                      I wish they would apply "sabermetrics" in those financially challenged PBA teams to acquire players who are value for their money.

Comment

my father told me na nambato pa nga daw ng mga battery (i assume yun pang remote control lang siguro) yun mga Chinese audience/fans nun 1990 Asian Games, just like what the Taiwanese fans did to Iloilo Megavolts in Jones Cup.

I'd like to ask the people who watched the games of the 1990 Robert Jaworski-coached PBA Squad. kindly confirm if its true or not?

i love basketball stories that's why I wanna know if its true then I'll scold my father later if his stories were fictional, joke!
                        It's ironic to see limited efforts from players with maximum salary.
                        I wish they would apply "sabermetrics" in those financially challenged PBA teams to acquire players who are value for their money.

Comment

Originally posted by saints13
                          my father told me na nambato pa nga daw ng mga battery (i assume yun pang remote control lang siguro) yun mga Chinese audience/fans nun 1990 Asian Games, just like what the Taiwanese fans did to Iloilo Megavolts in Jones Cup.

I'd like to ask the people who watched the games of the 1990 Robert Jaworski-coached PBA Squad. kindly confirm if its true or not?

i love basketball stories that's why I wanna know if its true then I'll scold my father later if his stories were fictional, joke!
                          Same!... I wanna know what really happened in the 1990 Asian Games!

sigpic

Comment

1998 the almostall filipino rp centennial team squad they become jones cup champiuons this shows you do not need to win in asian games to earn the asians respect in basketball in 1990's they will won if they have better preparation
                            To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                            1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

Originally posted by reamily
                              1998 the almostall filipino rp centennial team squad they become jones cup champiuons this shows you do not need to win in asian games to earn the asians respect in basketball in 1990's they will won if they have better preparation
                              I think 1998 Centennial Team was the most prepared even than the current team (unless if you guys count those in 2005 and 2006 non-FIBA stints... )... that's my opinion! ... the only reason they ended up winning bronze in the Asian Games because they focus on beating China and forgetting about the other opponents like South Korea (same with the 2002 RP Team)...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information