PDA

View Full Version : Slo players abroad

Joško Poljak Fan
03-05-2007, 09:29 PM
It's a bit late, but i think they deserve this topic, some less some more....

Nachbar is finally having his breakout season with the Nets people were expecting for so long. Eventhough with Jefferson's return, his minutes will likely go down, no matter his performance, but at least he confirmed his talent from Benneton days with some nice higlights lately. NT could certanly use him this summer...

Matjaž Smodiš was voted for El february MVP (http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/9025/180). A well deserved recognition imo. He was overlooked in the last years top16 when he might have deserve such an award as well...

Udrih seems to be behind Vaughn permanently now. Time for him to change the club finally imho...

Joško Poljak Fan
03-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Sani's fanmail on EL.net (http://www.euroleague.net/news/fanmail/i/9445/184/fan-mail-answers-sani-becirovic?smid=223)

Lorbek has been doing a pretty good job in Roma, so far averaging 17 points and 6 rebounds for them. It seems he really likes playing under his old Climamio coach Repeša. I don't think Unicaja will try to keep him, so Roma might just have a chance in buyouting him after this season...

Nachbar again with the dunk of the night (http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?content=video&url=http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/dotn/dotn_070318.asx)

Joško Poljak Fan
03-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Nachbar on his role in Koper, for SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/chris_mannix/03/19/nachbar/index.html)

rikhardur
03-28-2007, 07:07 PM
Well not a star, but he's definitely a Slo abroad. Marko Antonijevič playing for LCB's CAB Madeira is averaging 10.7 ppg + 4.1 apg + 1.9 spg in 29 mpg.

boki
03-29-2007, 12:18 PM
Well not a star, but he's definitely a Slo abroad. Marko Antonijevič playing for LCB's CAB Madeira is averaging 10.7 ppg + 4.1 apg + 1.9 spg in 29 mpg.

Antonijevic is not a star in Portugal? That's a pitty :D

BTW, who are considered best players in Portugal and biggest stars?

rikhardur
03-29-2007, 06:50 PM
Antonijevic is not a star in Portugal? That's a pitty :D

BTW, who are considered best players in Portugal and biggest stars?
Well he's a nice and somewhat reliable player, but not a star.

The best Portuguese players playing in Portugal are imo Nuno Marçal, Diogo Carreira, Filipe da Silva, Jaime Silva, Miguel Minhava, Rodrigo Mascarenhas and Élvis Évora. Best foreigners imo are Joăo Gomes (he has double nationality, Portuguese and Cape Verdian), Ike Nwankwo, Ashante Johnson, Eric Sandrin, Nick Neumann, Ricky Woods and Cortney Scott.

Joško Poljak Fan
04-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Lakovič's decisive triple vs. Tau (http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q0xRFLhkg0c)
ziv posted it in spanish forum...

PHILIPeurobasket
05-26-2007, 08:54 AM
http://media.plk.pl/galerie/2007-05-25/1/46.jpg

Who is she :confused: Dragisa wife :confused:

PHILIPeurobasket
08-27-2007, 03:22 AM
Rizvic in Wroclaw
Hasan Rizvic sign one year contract with Asco Slask Wroclaw for season 2007/2008.
Rizvic is Slovenian center. Last season he started in Olimpija Lublana where he averaged 7.0 ppg. and 4.5 rpg. He had also a opportunity to play in the Euroleague - 4.0 ppg. and 4.6 rpg. But after some months, in February 2007 he broke off with Olimpija and moved to Bosnia and Herzegovina to the Bosnia Sarajevo team. He should be starting five center in Wroclaw.

ziv
09-25-2007, 08:38 AM
maybe i missed it - but what's going on with Goran Dragic after an excelent championship? as far as i recall he's under contract with TAU but i don't see his name in their stats? any rumors regarding him? will he comeback to Murcia?

Joško Poljak Fan
09-25-2007, 10:11 AM
maybe i missed it - but what's going on with Goran Dragic after an excelent championship? as far as i recall he's under contract with TAU but i don't see his name in their stats? any rumors regarding him? will he comeback to Murcia?
It was all agreed that he comes to Olimpija before the EC, of course wih the performances he put up there, suddenly Tau has some second doubts. Olimpija's GM was expecting a call for whole week, while now both sides are really tired of waiting and Olimpija is saying they'll be searching for another PG unless this is solved untill the end of he week. Sevilla is mentioned as well, while Tau management weren't happy with Murcia...
On the other hand, the Dragič case (still bragging from last year when he was stolen from Slovan) went to primary court again, Slovan won the apeal and Tau might actually have to pay 700-800.000 € for him to Slovan, unlike the ridiciolous ammount of 25.000 € which made me hate the organisation... In case they don't I guess he is again Slovan's player, but considering our court's average speed this won't get solved anytime soon.

ziv
09-25-2007, 11:10 AM
so while you're at it - is Zupan all cleared to play? both his contractual status and phisical? and how's ozbolt? training at least?

Joško Poljak Fan
09-25-2007, 01:58 PM
so while you're at it - is Zupan all cleared to play? both his contractual status and phisical? and how's ozbolt? training at least?
Zupan is cleared to play, unlike Dragič's case Slovan was winning it on court and Zupan was forbidden to play for Olimpija the very day the euroleague started ( :rolleyes: won't go into conspiracy theories), but later both clubs worked things out, including the buyout, which isn't that surprising considering ex-Slovan GM Rajgelj switched to same position in Olimpija this season. However I don't know the details, since Olimpija's management is very misterious lately.

Ožbolt will supposedly be back in january (?), club owes/owed (?) to him all salaries for last season, Olimpija claims they're working things out, while Ožbolt is more or less quiet. Beside that with a manager like Mira Polja you never know what'll happen...
as far as I know he isn't training with the team yet.

woma
11-07-2007, 02:23 PM
According to Anwil Wloclawek official site Zelimir Zagorac is a new player there. I saw him a few times in the past, I like him, but isn't he a Power Forward mostly? If yes, I don't know why Anwil is signing him and what role he will have in their rotation.

elaj
11-07-2007, 03:36 PM
According to Anwil Wloclawek official site Zelimir Zagorac is a new player there. I saw him a few times in the past, I like him, but isn't he a Power Forward mostly? If yes, I don't know why Anwil is signing him and what role he will have in their rotation.
He is a PF, but can play few minutes also on SF and C if needed. But he is a bit too slow on SF and too short for C.

PHILIPeurobasket
11-07-2007, 05:05 PM
Zagorac close to Anwil
Anwi Wloclawek propably tommorow will sign contract with Zelimir (Zeljko) Zagorac. 26-years old Slovenian forward last season spent in Ural Great Perm, where averaged 11.9 ppg and 7.9 rpg. Zagorac is Slovenian NT member.
Source: http://www.wtkanwil.com.pl/index.php?parametr=aktualnosc&id=943

PHILIPeurobasket
11-08-2007, 05:46 PM
http://grafika.e-basket.pl/zdjecia/duze/1194541960.jpg

Zelimir Zagorac sign today one year contract with Anwil Wloclawek :)

boki
11-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Zagorac played well in WC 06' in Japan for Slovenia. I'm sure he can be reinforcement for Anwil.

PHILIPeurobasket
11-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Zagorac played well in WC 06' in Japan for Slovenia. I'm sure he can be reinforcement for Anwil.

I also hope so :) I believe in coach Pipan, and I know that he want made good move ;)

mvblair
12-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Everybody's favorite crazy Slovenian forward is having his best statistical year this season, scoring 10 points and 3 rebounds per game. Unfortunately, he is making only 40% some percent of his hosts. He's had some good games, like a 23 point night against Portland, and a 19 point night yesterday against Washington.

But I'm a little worried. Apparently Big Boki is getting a little violent:

Dan Steinberg Blog (http://blog.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2007/12/12_more_zany_wizards_facts.html) - 12/11/2007, by Dan Steinberg, The Washington Post

...Speaking of the Nets game, my second-favorite moment was when New Jersey's Bostjan Nachbar was called for several fouls in quick succession and taken out, at which point he decided to kick a Nachbar hole in the Southwest Airlines signage hanging underneath the scorer's table (pictured). Someone get out the duct tape before Tuesday night....
Seriously though, it's good to see him playing 20+ minutes per night, especially since he's subbing for Vince Carter and Richard Jefferson.

Some pictures:
Good, athletic lay-up (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo?slug=74b14fc072f54e94ae2f4747dd96ef42.nets_w izards_basketball_vzn108&prov=ap)
Trying to block a hammer by his best friend (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo?slug=9c7dff39844f4c1797a00a157b2590bf.rocket s_nets_basketball___era106&prov=ap)

bestkept
12-11-2007, 05:52 PM
i like the way he plays...last season he became a ferocious player..fearlessly driving to the basket and posterizing tim duncan, samuel dalembert, elton brand and jermain o'neal..:)

mvblair
12-12-2007, 02:24 PM
i like the way he plays...last season he became a ferocious player.. Me too. He's one of those players that really never backs down and he always is "full of beans" = he's got a lot of energy.

Last night he had 8 points and 4 rebounds in 17 minutes. But he only shot 2-8. That's pretty bad. :D

Driving to the hoop, guarded by Cat Mobley (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo;_ylt=AkZaYz9HrwlsXVj6jYSx.vikvLYF?slug=65c3b ad6cf6d7ae5d5303afaa961e725-getty-76075487dd001_clippers_nets&prov=getty)

elaj
12-15-2007, 09:38 AM
Charlotte Bobcats traded Slovenian Primoz Brezec and Argentinian Walter Herrmann in exchange for Detroit Pistons' Nazr Mohammed. :rolleyes:

Brezec is still recovering from his health problems which he had during the summer. I guess Bobcats decided not to wait for him anymore.

Joško Poljak Fan
12-15-2007, 10:09 AM
Charlotte Bobcats traded Slovenian Primoz Brezec and Argentinian Walter Herrmann in exchange for Detroit Pistons' Nazr Mohammed. :rolleyes:

Brezec is still recovering from his health problems which he had during the summer. I guess Bobcats decided not to wait for him anymore.
if we consider Detroit as a far more stacked team than Charlotte that might be the first step on his stairway to europe in a short while. I think few clubs won't have a problem paying him those 2 mio € that would right now equal to almost a full MLE which he obviously won't get in NBA.

Joško Poljak Fan
12-17-2007, 07:26 PM
not exactly a player, but Jonathan is wrote down some interesting stuff on Mahorič and BC Kiev in his latest "blogging through europe" (http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/).

Kyiv is coached by a Slovenian coach by the name of Tomo Mohoric, who despite his youth (42 years old) already has a ULEB Cup championship on his resume with Lietuvos Rytas, and a Top-16 Euroleague run with European minions Olimpija Ljubljana, their last since he left. He’s been on the short list for some very high profile European jobs as of late, and it’s only a matter of time it seems until he lands one.

I got to watch the team practice on Thursday as they prepared for arguably the biggest game of their season in the domestic Ukrainian competition—a clash with archrivals Azovmash, a fellow ULEB Cup team and the current league champions after having knocked off Kyiv a five game playoff series final last season. [Kyiv ended up beating Azovmash on Saturday]

After having watched teams all over Europe practice over the past three weeks, it was interesting to note the contrasts between Mohoric’s style and other coaches. They run two practices per day here and seem to put a huge emphasis on physical conditioning and fundamentals (which is typical of the ex-Yugoslavian schools of basketball from what I understand), running a very scripted, serious, organized practice with no dead moments that is heavy on tactics and not at all geared towards full-court five on five scrimmaging. On the side, I watched Slovenian forward Marko Maravic go through a mini bootcamp as part of his rehab from an injury he’s suffering from. Situps, pushups, pull-ups, plenty of running—he got in as good a workout as anyone to ensure that he’s in shape when he’s finally ready to step back on the court. That’s the job of Slovenian assistant coach Bostian Jaske, and judging by the way he looks himself, he surely practices what he preaches. From what the players told me, this is typical of the work they go through almost every single day to ensure that they are in peak physical conditioning.

They also do quite a bit of individual work with the coaches on their skills, particularly on the fundamentals of the game. “He’ll [Tomo Mohoric] go old-school on us from time to time”, Pooh Jeter told us: “we’ll work on passing, ball-handling, boxing out, posting up, everything. It’s really good.” Besides the two practices per day, players can put in extra work before and after both practices if they please, which three players in particular constantly take advantage of: Jeter (“the last player to leave practice every single day,” according to Mohoric), Manuchar Markoishvili, and Andriy Lebedintsev, a 16 year old point guard who had a solid showing in the U-16 European championship this past summer, and is part of the roster and occasionally sees some playing time in the Ukrainian league. He was profiled by Luis Fernandez already back in 2006.

Fish
12-18-2007, 11:04 AM
BTW Tomo is a good friend of mine for more than 30 years. We went to school together, played some music and loooots of basketball together for so many years...
In fact beside his intelligence he is too good as a person and that is what is beating him in this rough business of today's basketball. Unfortunately not all the games seem to end on the bb court and I strongly believe as well that it is only a matter of time when some bigshot european club recognizes his abilities and grabs him for a decent contract. There were so many so called " coaches " and businessmen that put a knife in his back...Just check the last few years...(JPF must know who I am talking about..)
But he is learning to deal with all of them too and I cannot wait to see him as the head of a strong slovenian NT in the future.
He also speaks highly about his current employees.
Bottom line - he is one of the few persons that I'd always support 100% because of his sincerety.

Joško Poljak Fan
12-18-2007, 11:44 AM
well I don't know precisely who you are talking about, since the rumours about Mahorič in Slovenia can be very contradictional as you probably know... but afterall there aren't any person in our bball that would be liked by at least 30% of population and wouldn't get that ussual knife stabbing in the back as soon as possible, but sooner or later you get the lesson not believing to anything people connected with basketball are saying here ;)
All that counts for me are the results and Mahorič had those, in 02/03 Olimpija played the best looking basketball in europe probably and I don't think the title with Rytas was a coincidence as many people here in Slovenia love to suggest (or even that the title was won due to Rytas ex coach Vukoičić setting things up before Mahorič came there... you probably know with whoom I had these arguements;))
I wish him all the luck and hope once the situation might be apropriate for him to return to Slovenia... lately there are too many coaches leaving our bball on every level...

Fish
12-18-2007, 12:11 PM
I guess you're right...
but that 02/03 team really played basketball that kept me in the Tivoli arena almost the whole season (despite the fact Tomo and me were both kids from Kodeljevo...;)
He also told me that that team was practically 100% after his ideas and demands before the season...
I also remember that "must win game for final four for/in Barcelona and R. Delafuente's free throws like yesterday...:(

As for the Rytas...
from what I remember the club was not exactly on the winning streak when he took over...also who knows if then inexperienced and young Jasaitis would get so many of the playing time without our coach...but yet again this is completely a subjective view of mine...
I am just glad that some people still have eyes for the good...

Fish

zwbgr
02-25-2008, 12:45 AM
Didn't want to start separate tread, but i have to mention this:
Brezec is showing right now, that he's capable of playing in NBA. 8 points in 10 mins in his debut for Raptors.

mvblair
02-25-2008, 01:42 PM
...Brezec is showing right now, that he's capable of playing in NBA. 8 points in 10 mins in his debut for Raptors. Great! That's good for him. I don't know how he went from being a 15-10 player in the NBA to a guy sitting on the bench.

Bargnani Scores 25 Points in win Over Knicks (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2008022428) -- February 25, 2008, AP

....Toronto center Primoz Brezec, acquired from Detroit on Thursday, made his Raptors debut in the second and finished with 11 points in 12 minutes.

“He surprised me with his intensity,” Bosh said. “I’m liking what I’m seeing from him.”

…Toronto fielded players from five countries at one point in the second, including Bargnani (Italy), Brezec (Slovenia), Calderon (Spain), Carlos Delfino (Argentina) and Parker (United States). Brezec was 5-5 shooting, probably helped by easy dunks like this one (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo;_ylt=Alq0idiusY_E0b86Dp.OpzekvLYF?slug=35080 f09054a1c9fe7e1c9ddfdb7c44a-getty-76075062rt07_knicks_raptors&prov=getty).

elaj
02-25-2008, 03:04 PM
As I said after the trade happened. This is a very good trade for Toronto and also for Brezec.

mvblair
03-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Nesterovic had 16 points (8-10) and 10 rebounds as Toronto drummed Miami. Brezec had 9 points in 13 minutes.

Easy bucket for Rasho (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo;_ylt=AtewQB35rSMsrMSwle2.pWikvLYF?slug=3e3fd b9943644e89b25baf6b62e3d32d.raptors_heat_basketaba ll_aaa105&prov=ap)
Jump hook Rasho (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo?slug=402cc8fc791ff61f6877ffbe730b30be-getty-76075413db001_toronto_rapto&prov=getty)

Joško Poljak Fan
03-06-2008, 03:43 PM
they're both able to put up these numbers consecutively if Bosh is out, while my personal opinion is Toronto wouldn't be losing much more by that either, but yeah I know that might be highly discusable to most Toronto fans :)

mvblair
03-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Rasho had 17 points, 6 assists, and 6 rebounds in a win over Seattle last night.

Toronto 116, Seattle 109 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=AlT8WmRjK3Gd7qypInqcVRi8vLYF?gid=200803 0928) -- AP, March 10, 2008

There were nights early in the season when the Raptor’s Rasho Nesterovic didn’t play at all. Rather than sulk postgame, the veteran center would head upstairs to the practice gym and run.

Now, with All-Star forward Chris Bosh sidelined with a knee injury, that perseverance is paying off for Nesterovic.

Nesterovic scored 17 points to lead Toronto to a 114-106 win over the Seattle SuperSonics on Sunday, the Raptors’ fifth consecutive game without Bosh.

“Rasho is a pro,” Raptors coach Sam Mitchell said. “He never complains and is always ready to play. That’s something our young players need to learn from.”

...The game marked the third time in the last five that Nesterovic has scored at least16 points. He also led the Raptors with six assists, which may be a first for the big Slovenian.

“I can’t remember (the last time he led his team in assists),” Nesterovic said. “They don’t let big guys pass, because they don’t trust them. I finally found a team that trusts big guys.”
Slovenian versus Frenchman (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo;_ylt=Am6GIlRGYSPyIVNk.Khu8PCkvLYF?slug=754e3 3a7a93ef5335924a4766c6d09fb-getty-76075005rt02_sonics_raptors&prov=getty)

Alyosha12
03-10-2008, 01:20 PM
And lets not forget Beno with 25PTS and 10AST:)

Vujacic also a nice game with 15PTS though i don't care for him much:p

elaj
03-10-2008, 03:26 PM
And lets not forget Beno with 25PTS and 10AST:)

Vujacic also a nice game with 15PTS though i don't care for him much:p
He hit last two FT's for the win. @#$% PRICELESS, EAT THIS #$%% VUJAČIČ. :cool:

GO RASHO! :D

Such language, Elaj! --Matt

rikhardur
03-11-2008, 12:03 AM
“Rasho is a pro,” Raptors coach Sam Mitchell said. “He never complains and is always ready to play. That’s something our young players need to learn from.”
Yes, that was always the general idea I had about him, in fact I think he himself on court conveys that. Actually sometimes I look at him and think "you should be more agressive and determined", but nothing changes about his expressionless and cold stare. That said, he's as pro as he can be, one of those trustable players any coach would like to rely on.

Neozyrus
03-11-2008, 04:50 PM
I think the sentence "Rasho is a pro" describes him prefectly. Hes' the one that helps the new guys to integrate in the team, the one that make jokes to the inrjuried teammates in order to cheer them up, the one that takes every training as a true game, and the one that absolutely never complains even when he hasnt the minutes that he clearly deserves.
Imo thats the definition of a pro. Im really glad that hes doing nicely now and hope that the coach doesnt forget this when Bosh comes back

Udrih : impressive as always. If he continues this way.. well, sky is the limit.

mvblair
03-11-2008, 05:30 PM
As for Rasho, I still don't know why San Antonio traded him...he helped them win the '05 title (and Udrih helped them during that season). Popovich loved Rasho so much that he went to Slovenia to talk to him. I guess Popovich thought that Mohamed would be better (which wasn't true).

Alyosha12
03-11-2008, 07:21 PM
As for Rasho, I still don't know why San Antonio traded him...he helped them win the '05 title (and Udrih helped them during that season). Popovich loved Rasho so much that he went to Slovenia to talk to him. I guess Popovich thought that Mohamed would be better (which wasn't true).

Cap space to sign Duncan and Manu and such to new contracts.

elaj
03-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Another great game by Rasho, but his Toronto lost to Lakers.

He had 18 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 1 TO with 9-15 FGM-A.

Brezec spent 3 minutes on court and had 3 points and a rebound.

With Bosh injured Rasho is really making some decent offensive effort.

mvblair
03-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Cap space to sign Duncan and Manu and such to new contracts. Yes, you're right.

Toronto lost (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=Al9NYQ.NPCoPmJIrrs82bp68vLYF?gid=200 8031113), but Nesterovic had 18 points (9-15), 8 rebounds against Pau Gasol and the Lakers.

Kobe Bryant fouls Rasho (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo;_ylt=Asj69hckqD5YLsTW5w4rCtOkvLYF?slug=03bfb 6668d2f54969df1e937eac1b65c-getty-76076223ab012_raptrs_lakers&prov=getty)
Good-looking lay-up around Gasol (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo?slug=058f2cccec99a0b5206bc5854cc25b29-getty-76076223ab005_raptrs_lakers&prov=getty)
Hand-off for the dunk (what's wrong with Vlade?) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo?slug=4bd2245a20596ce589b17043bc3642e1-getty-76076223ab010_raptrs_lakers&prov=getty)

elaj
03-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Slovenian NBA players stats so far:

Beno Udrih (Sacramento Kings) - 32mpg, 13ppg, 3.4rpg, 4.4apg in 56 games so far.

Boštjan Nachbar (New Jersey Nets) - 22mpg, 10ppg, 3.6rpg, 1.1apg in 58 games so far.

Rasho Nesterovič (Toronto Raptors) - 17mpg, 5.2ppg, 4.2rpg, 1.0apg in 53 games so far.

Primož Brezec (Toronto Raptors) - 10mpg, 2.2ppg, 1.7rpg, 0.2apg in 45 games so far.

Aleksander Vujačič (LA Lakers) - 17mpg, 8.4ppg, 1.9rpg, 1.0apg in 54 games so far.

All of them except for Brezec are having decent seasons - stats wise.

mvblair
03-13-2008, 03:04 PM
All of them except for Brezec are having decent seasons - stats wise. Yes, you're right. And furthermore, Nesterovic has never been a big stat guy (until the past two weeks). He's giving that team a lot of help there in Toronto. Also, are the stats you gave for Udrih his season stats or his Sacramento stats? That seems a little low...

elaj
03-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Yes, you're right. And furthermore, Nesterovic has never been a big stat guy (until the past two weeks). He's giving that team a lot of help there in Toronto. Also, are the stats you gave for Udrih his season stats or his Sacramento stats? That seems a little low...
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/beno_udrih/

Neozyrus
03-13-2008, 03:40 PM
- Udrih : Main offensive weapon of the Kings, he has given him the opportunity with many minutes, and he has answered him with many great performances.
- Nachbar: Hes doing a pretty good season, he's playing quite good and is one of the main offensive weapons of the team, but imo they could have given him more minutes cause he clearly has deserved them.
- Nesterovic: He's doing simply great performances since Bosh got injured. A first class center imo.
- Vujacic: He's doing his best season so far, being one of the most importnt players in the rotation of the Lakers. (By the way i know what u guys think of him, but Gasol said recently that he's a great guy :p )
- Brezec: he has had a really bad luck this season, beginning in Charlotte, when inexplicably didnt have a true chance after doing a great season, then in Detroit they didnt want him and now in Toronto i hope that little by little he would get a more important role in the team.

Slovenians in ACB:

- D. Lorbek - 7.7ppg (36% 2p 39% 3p 86% 1p), 1.6 rpg, 0.8 apg, 4.2 index.
- A. McDonald (yes i know i know) - 9.2 ppg (49% 2p 39% 3p 79% 1p), 1.5 rpg, 2.1 apg, 7.3 index.
- J. Lakovic - 15.2 ppg ( 55% 2p 35% 3p 84% 1p), 2.1 rpg, 3.2 apg, 15.7 index.
- S. Udrih - 8.7 ppg (47% 2p 39% 3p 91% 1p), 2.4 rpg, 1.6 apg, 6.1 index.

Joško Poljak Fan
03-13-2008, 04:48 PM
Yes, you're right. And furthermore, Nesterovic has never been a big stat guy (until the past two weeks). He's giving that team a lot of help there in Toronto. Also, are the stats you gave for Udrih his season stats or his Sacramento stats? That seems a little low...
actually Nesterovič was a big stats guy before. That's as soon as KG, Duncan and now obviously Bosh went missing for some consecutive games...

Some people would laugh, but I do believe he is our best bball player right now, infront of Smodiš, Udrih, Nachbar, Lorbek, Lakovič. I just hope he'll get a decent contract somewhere in Europe (I don't trust euro GM's enough to be certain about it) and decide to come back... as far as international game goes I doubt any NBAer "overachieves" there as much as he does. In NT games he overshadowed Smodiš and made Erazem Lorbek that is actually posting great stats in euroleague look like some random bench guy. As much as I want to avoid bias when it comes to slovenian players, I'd dare to say Nesterovič is the player GM's should start building the team with when going for an euroleague trophy (considering so far Dirk, Gasol -and some others that might be discusable- are too expensive for euro clubs to throw a bait at). He won't be offered as high salary after this season which some top euro clubs couldn't cope with... 2 mio € might equal something around 5 mio $ and that ammount is expendable when it comes to a team aiming for an euroleague trophy... I hope this'll come true...

mvblair
03-13-2008, 05:28 PM
actually Nesterovič was a big stats guy before. That's as soon as KG, Duncan and now obviously Bosh went missing for some consecutive games... True.

Some people would laugh, but I do believe he is our best bball player right now, infront of Smodiš, Udrih, Nachbar, Lorbek, Lakovič. I don't think so, pal. Now, I'm no student of the Slovenian NT and I haven't seen them play in years, but from what I've seen in downloads and read on the 'net, Smodiš is the man. He's got the whole package. Two EL championships with two different teams is no lie.

rikhardur
03-13-2008, 11:12 PM
I just noticed this, Nesterovič has been playing SF, what the hell :confused:

Alyosha12
03-14-2008, 09:40 AM
actually Nesterovič was a big stats guy before. That's as soon as KG, Duncan and now obviously Bosh went missing for some consecutive games...

Some people would laugh, but I do believe he is our best bball player right now, infront of Smodiš, Udrih, Nachbar, Lorbek, Lakovič. I just hope he'll get a decent contract somewhere in Europe (I don't trust euro GM's enough to be certain about it) and decide to come back... as far as international game goes I doubt any NBAer "overachieves" there as much as he does. In NT games he overshadowed Smodiš and made Erazem Lorbek that is actually posting great stats in euroleague look like some random bench guy. As much as I want to avoid bias when it comes to slovenian players, I'd dare to say Nesterovič is the player GM's should start building the team with when going for an euroleague trophy (considering so far Dirk, Gasol -and some others that might be discusable- are too expensive for euro clubs to throw a bait at). He won't be offered as high salary after this season which some top euro clubs couldn't cope with... 2 mio € might equal something around 5 mio $ and that ammount is expendable when it comes to a team aiming for an euroleague trophy... I hope this'll come true...

Sorry m8 most of the time i really enjoy your posts, but i simply can not agree that Nesterovič is our best player.
He simply stretches the offense to much to be just that, he floats on the 3pt line waaay too often for me to like, and he settles for jumpers too much.
As far as his defense goes i think he is the best defensive C in any eurobasket tournament period.
I really don't see him coming back to Europe to finish his career he has too much to offer NBA teams not just his play, but his experience leadership by example,etc. for him not to be signed, ofcourse he won't get as big of a salary as he has now, but i can see many teams fighting for him, actually there aren't a lot of teams in the NBA that wouldn't sign him.
Indeed his stats take a hit because he is a team guy, so the points he is putting up really don't show the whole picture.

But again i think he can not compare to Smodiš, the man is just soo damn efficient, i mean just give him the ball down low, and its a basket an and 1 or a foul there is no other way to stop Smodiš, he has a 3 pt shot that is really consistent he can hit a mid range J he is a prototype PF, Smodiš is everything a PF should be, i you are a coach an you want to develop a player into a PF you just show him Smodiš and say thats exactly what i want from you lol.
Now if only his D was better and he didn't have so many injury problems.
But man i just love Smodiš, may be i am also bias but hey i just get excited when i talk about Smodiš lol.

Alyosha12
03-14-2008, 09:47 AM

Udrih had a bad stretch of games when Biby returned and before he was traded thats why his stats took a hit.
His stats as a starter are roughly 15PPG 5APG 4RPG.

Joško Poljak Fan
03-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Nesterovič is a warm/cold type of guy, definately not flawless- wasn't trying to say that. I yjust believe he influences the game more than any other player we have, nevermind the stats. Let's just again say we agree to disagree.

As far as him coming back, I remember an interview about a year ago where he said that after season or two more in NBA coming back to europe is an option (I remember it because he said that's not Olimpija since he doesn't have the best memories on the clubs management), the way it sounded makes me actually believe unlike Kukoč and some others he IS coming back at one point of the career. Considering his personality I doubt he could care less if he is not playing in NBA, while recent $ depreciation and rising budgets in Europe might as well speed up the process. As I said paying an equal to MLE isn't an issue anymore for top european clubs especially for a center, while I think you overate NBA GM's a bit, they won't be offering more to him than euro top's can. I would actually be very surprised not to see him in europe within the next 2-3 years.

mvblair
03-14-2008, 01:23 PM
Let's just again say we agree to disagree. I don't agree to that.

Alyosha12
03-14-2008, 01:47 PM
Hehe well, i see Rašo geting at least a $3mill contract, that makes around $2.5mill after taxes which is roughly 1.5mill euro. So yes euro team would be able to offer him what he would be getting in the NBA i doubt he would get the ful MLE so it all comes down to if he really wants to come back to Europe, but i see him enjoying himself in the US so i don't know, i wouldn't bet on either option, both seem likely to me.

Joško Poljak Fan
03-14-2008, 02:45 PM
Hehe well, i see Rašo geting at least a $3mill contract, that makes around $2.5mill after taxes which is roughly 1.5mill euro. So yes euro team would be able to offer him what he would be getting in the NBA i doubt he would get the ful MLE so it all comes down to if he really wants to come back to Europe, but i see him enjoying himself in the US so i don't know, i wouldn't bet on either option, both seem likely to me.
not correct:
3 mil $ contract is a bit more than 1.5 after taxes (bear in mind it's canadian taxes), with the recent exchange rate (1.57 and rising) that's equal to sth. like 800.000 € contract in europe (with the team bearing the load of taxes, not player like in NBA)
once again, Rašo won't be offered more than MLE (=5 mio $) which roughly equals to 1.4-1.5 million € in europe, which wouldn't even make him top10 paid in europe

Alyosha12
03-14-2008, 03:06 PM
not correct:
3 mil $ contract is a bit more than 1.5 after taxes (bear in mind it's canadian taxes), with the recent exchange rate (1.57 and rising) that's equal to sth. like 800.000 € contract in europe (with the team bearing the load of taxes, not player like in NBA)
once again, Rašo won't be offered more than MLE (=5 mio $) which roughly equals to 1.4-1.5 million € in europe, which wouldn't even make him top10 paid in europe
You misunderstood, i said $3mill contract is $2.5mill after taxes( lets say the tax is 20%), 2.5 mill dollars is around 1.5mill euro, so we were thinking the same amount.

Joško Poljak Fan
03-14-2008, 04:46 PM
You misunderstood, i said $3mill contract is $2.5mill after taxes( lets say the tax is 20%), 2.5 mill dollars is around 1.5mill euro, so we were thinking the same amount.
no I didn't misunderstood anything- I am saying to you that about 40-45% of the ammount a player gets in NBA goes for taxes (depends on the state, I believe it can be up to 50% in Canada) and the difference between euro clubs and NBA clubs is that european club covers for taxes instead of the player. This way for example 1.6 mio € Smodiš is making currently equals around MLE (=5 million US dollars, making him 2nd best paid bball player in Slovenia), without the bonuses included in euro contracts and this also means that europe can compete with NBA with salaries in cases when we are not talking about superstars.

these are checked facts. the only thing in favour of NBA here are smaller managers provisions than in Europe.

Alyosha12
03-14-2008, 05:54 PM
no I didn't misunderstood anything- I am saying to you that about 40-45% of the ammount a player gets in NBA goes for taxes (depends on the state, I believe it can be up to 50% in Canada) and the difference between euro clubs and NBA clubs is that european club covers for taxes instead of the player. This way for example 1.6 mio € Smodiš is making currently equals around MLE (=5 million US dollars, making him 2nd best paid bball player in Slovenia), without the bonuses included in euro contracts and this also means that europe can compete with NBA with salaries in cases when we are not talking about superstars.

these are checked facts. the only thing in favour of NBA here are smaller managers provisions than in Europe.

Are you sure the tax is 45-50% that sounds a little steep to me, have any source?

Joško Poljak Fan
03-14-2008, 06:59 PM
don't have the source, but I am pretty sure about it and you can easily believe me on this one. As a matter of fact these kind of tax rates are nothing weird when talking about about the taxation of the richest percents of population. 2-3 years ago it was the same in Slovenia while it lowered down recently. The taxation is also 50% in Italy, France, Germany- that's why you can see a french team having a 6 million € budget with almost 2 going through players taxation immediately...

rikhardur
03-15-2008, 01:16 AM
Does anyone want to answer my doubt? :p Or is it just the standard 5 designation being applied and he's been playing centre? Either way, I found it weird...

mvblair
03-15-2008, 03:07 AM
Does anyone want to answer my doubt? :p Or is it just the standard 5 designation being applied and he's been playing centre? Either way, I found it weird...No, no, it's no mistake. It's French, you know, in Canada. The best translation for the English word "center" in French is "shooting forward."

Alyosha12
03-15-2008, 12:24 PM
don't have the source, but I am pretty sure about it and you can easily believe me on this one. As a matter of fact these kind of tax rates are nothing weird when talking about about the taxation of the richest percents of population. 2-3 years ago it was the same in Slovenia while it lowered down recently. The taxation is also 50% in Italy, France, Germany- that's why you can see a french team having a 6 million € budget with almost 2 going through players taxation immediately...

You forget that euro countries a strictly social stats with national health care, pention plans etc. where as the US is strictly non social that is why the taxes in the US are much much lower then in Europe, and can never ever be the same as in Europe, especially the taxation of work, where the work force in the US is very fluid where as in Europe its strictly not.

So if you are basing the taxation in the US on Euro taxes i am sticking with my 20% especially because Bush is giving tax breaks to the rich and the super rich, but in europe its the other way around.

Joško Poljak Fan
03-15-2008, 02:21 PM
damn you are stubbourn :)

You forget that euro countries a strictly social stats with national health care, pention plans etc. where as the US is strictly non social that is why the taxes in the US are much much lower then in Europe, and can never ever be the same as in Europe, especially the taxation of work, where the work force in the US is very fluid where as in Europe its strictly not.
actually I didn't forget anything, it's Canada we're taling aboot in Rašo's case...

work force market is another issue that is barely connected with taxes actually, more of an syndicate issue which americans succesfully managed to put on the sideline.

it's normal that when your GNP is 70% dependant on consumers spending as in US that you decrease the income taxes if you want to increase the consumption and GNP along that (and when the richest half represents 80 % of that consumption, of course you're be going easy on them- something our euro commies can't really get over with), but there is still absolutely no way a person earning few millions a year would get taxed by 20% only, I am aware only about Slovakia not using progressive tax scale on the taxable income which enables such a ridiciolus tax rate for higher income tax payers. Nevermind US doesn't implement the obligatory social care system as in Europe, that still can't represent the difference between for example 40% and 20% tax rate.

I am not exactly an expert on the tax systems of Canada and US, I just know that there were complaints by US players in Toronto about the canadian taxes and that a certain very well informed person I trust completely on this subject claimed NBA players in the end get left with 45-50% of their income, which part is due to taxes, which due to manager provisions and which due to other things doesn't bother me at all. While european players get paid ammount in their contracts with clubs being responsible to aditionaly pay their taxes along that, NBA players take care for it by themselves. The point is that 2 million € contract in europe equals somewhere in the range of 6.2 - 6.8 million $ NBA contract wheather you want to accept it or not. no offense ;)

Alyosha12
03-15-2008, 02:54 PM
No prob i know how the system works, i know that Euro contracts are after taxes the only point i am arguing is the tax rate you mentioned, and i wasn't talking a about Canada only because Canada only has 1 club in the NBA and i bet Rašo will get offers from many other clubs, but i do agree with taking out expenses and cost of living and such which Euro players don't have to pay 1¸.5mill euro in Europe equals the MLE in the NBA, thats why i said it all comes down to what Rašo wants, but as i said he looks content playing in the US, but him getting a child might have changed all that i guess it all comes down to the offer he will get in the NBA, but if Tomaševič can get paid by PAO i don't see why they wouldn't bring Rašo over, they would be stupid not to TBH.

So accually we agree on the most part,e xcept a few % of tax here and there:p

Joško Poljak Fan
03-15-2008, 10:32 PM
cool than ;)

I agree it will all come down to what Rašo wants. And as said before he is a modest guy, money might not even play a part in that decision. Still can't help but hope he'll choose europe... as well as many other guys on that list I'd like to comeback eventually.

mvblair
03-18-2008, 03:22 PM
13 points, 12 rebounds in a loss to Utah for Rasho. He also had 20 points, 8 rebounds in a loss to Sacramento two nights ago.

Lay-up under Paul Millsap (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo;_ylt=Atz1uZCMxfr0nRV7.l3yfmakvLYF?slug=e9429 56c78f537a8d2515a22a4e78fa0-getty-76075999_mm009_rapt_jazz&prov=getty)
Easy jump-hook over Udrih and Brad Miller (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo;_ylt=AtI9eCi1A1GOvMcAf9OK_iSkvLYF?slug=886c0 d9cda8725ca4f314ebb62e4b10b-getty-76075925rw014_raptors_kings&prov=getty)
Easy jump-hook over Mickey Moore (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo?slug=02a72d94b4c2f5c49a4247ddddc82a16-getty-76075925rw011_raptors_kings&prov=getty)

mvblair
03-23-2008, 12:22 AM
Last night, the Raptors lost, but Rasho played 30 minutes alongside Chris Bosh, scoring 16 points (8-13), 7 rebounds.

mvblair
03-28-2008, 02:21 PM
From the Toronto Star:

The raves keep rolling in for Rasho Nesterovic, the newly inserted starting centre who had 15 points, nine rebounds and four blocks in Wednesday's win over the Pistons. "Rasho was just unbelievable," said Sam Mitchell.

rikhardur
03-29-2008, 02:15 AM
Rašo scores 18 pts (8-11 FG, 2-2 FT), grabs 8 boards and blocks 1 shot in 27 minutes as the Raptors beat the Knicks (it isn't that difficult actually is it? :p)

mvblair
03-29-2008, 03:09 AM
Good for Rasho!! I'm really thrilled when he plays well.

OT: is it me or does Chris Bosh have little dinosaur hands? (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo;_ylt=AmU2sCsxTHl.hqB.lmahYmaLvLYF?slug=29e90 205f33c41acb7df75d59ba7c84b.knicks_raptors_basketb all___cptm102&prov=ap)

Neozyrus
03-29-2008, 03:19 AM
Playing like that i dont see him coming back to Europe next season, in fact, right now watching himself that now he's an important player of the Raptors, he could execute his option and continue there earning his 8 million $.

And even more, watching the lack of really skilled big men in NBA, if he maintains this level, maybe he could look for another good contract in NBA or he finally would like to return to play in Europe? who knows

boki
03-29-2008, 10:50 AM
I hope Rasho will come back to Olimpija after his contract with Raptors is over. Zoran Jankovic already mentioned this option once.

Joško Poljak Fan
03-29-2008, 11:14 AM
I hope Rasho will come back to Olimpija after his contract with Raptors is over. Zoran Jankovic already mentioned this option once.
and Rašo declined it afterwards immediately. He said it's a possibility for him to return to Europe, but is also unlikely to come back to Olimpija since he has some unpleasant memories on the times he has spent there. I don't think Rašo actually wants to come to Olimpija.
Jankovič talks a lot, he is doing a good job and I apreciate we've finaly got a normal mayor after Danica and Vika almost screwed the whole city up... but several of his statements are purely political gaining points and should be considered as such.

Rašo is making my euro-scenario unlikely with these performances.

elaj
03-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Remember... Rasho also holds Greek passport, I bet Panathinaikos or Olympiakos will go after him when his contract expires in the NBA. Experienced, defensive minded center who can easily score 10ppg+ and 7rpg+ in every game... who wouldn't like that? Besides that he is a winner and has very high basketball IQ for a center.

I hope Rasho will come back to Olimpija after his contract with Raptors is over. Zoran Jankovic already mentioned this option once.If you didn't notice it yet... Jankovič is full of shit. :)

Alyosha12
03-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Remember... Rasho also holds Greek passport, I bet Panathinaikos or Olympiakos will go after him when his contract expires in the NBA. Experienced, defensive minded center who can easily score 10ppg+ and 7rpg+ in every game... who wouldn't like that? Besides that he is a winner and has very high basketball IQ for a center.

If you didn't notice it yet... Jankovič is full of shit. :)

The two stadiums being build beg to differ:p

elaj
03-29-2008, 12:57 PM
The two stadiums being build beg to differ:p
I'll give him all the credit when I'll actually see a game in the stadium and in new arena... He's a good manager (and even better politician), but sometimes he talks too much and people believe him every word he says. For sure he is a better mayor than those two bitches before.

Joško Poljak Fan
03-29-2008, 01:20 PM
better? of course he is better, could it get any worse after these two "ladies" Elaj took the words out of my mouth to describe them :)
I even don't care if he is a left orientated, didn't care the fact Arhar was right orientated, the fact is Ljubljana needs a mayor that'll impliment some basic order and even better: a capable manager. He's got my support... untill he stays out of politics that is.

otherwise, 2 football stadiums in Ljubljana are just unnecesary "kurčenje" and highly likely unprofitable along that.

Alyosha12
03-29-2008, 07:44 PM
Well that may be so, and 2 stadiums are redundant, but i still wanted to make a point that Jankovic indeed is not full of crap he is just very confident he can get things done:)

mvblair
03-31-2008, 05:25 PM
14 points, 3 rebounds for Rasho last night in a loss to New Orleans. He was 18/8 the night before in a big win against Detroit.

Big boy lay-up (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo?slug=d1bbce6cdf7140d240a12bea7134b20d-getty-76075061rt01_hornets_raptrs&prov=getty)
Slam dunk (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo?slug=12d7d3c76da2c4fe4e2d6478fbb36d5f-getty-76075114rt06_pistons_raptrs&prov=getty)

And Vujacic scored 20 points (6-8 three-pointers) in only 17 minutes. He also scored the two free-throws that "sealed the game" in the last seconds.

Luis Scola?? (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo;_ylt=AqYChIpx7zlPkNLPNyFEBv.kvLYF?slug=577d0 45ad4df4383a83e8695e691c3b2.wizards_lakers_basketb all_las106&prov=ap)
Stretching with Kobe, Pau, and Vladimir (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo;_ylt=AhafdqUwZQS2D0DBmQQjISSkvLYF?slug=49d46 8e90a9a53c3fd4b3b3be3f4fb64-getty-80316067ab008_lakers_bts&prov=getty)
Hustler (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo?slug=75af48e551577786ec8aaca137ebfda8-getty-76076220ng005_sonics_lakers&prov=getty)

rikhardur
03-31-2008, 07:23 PM
Luis Scola?? (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo;_ylt=AqYChIpx7zlPkNLPNyFEBv.kvLYF?slug=577d0 45ad4df4383a83e8695e691c3b2.wizards_lakers_basketb all_las106&prov=ap)
:D Oh yes, he really looks like him :p

elaj
04-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Beno Udrih has some back problems... he might skip the rest of the season. :rolleyes:

He played his last game on 24th of March.:(

Alyosha12
04-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Beno Udrih has some back problems... he might skip the rest of the season. :rolleyes:

He played his last game on 24th of March.:(

Just when i thought he will show everyone he really isn't injury prone:(

mvblair
04-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Just when i thought he will show everyone he really isn't injury prone:(
It's the NBA, so there are 99 reasons why he could be injured. Maybe he's not really injured. Maybe he is just resting. Maybe they want to "hide" him from other teams on the market. Maybe he wants to play for Slovenia this summer and Sacramento knows it.

elaj
04-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Toronto lost to Charlotte, but Rasho was on fire. He had 23 points and 10 rebounds.:cool:

Neozyrus
04-05-2008, 01:50 PM
He is in a terrific moment. He has been the best player of the Raptors in the last month. I dont know if he had an injury at the beginning of the season or if he simply hadnt the confidence of Sam Mitchell, but right now he's playing at an all-star level.

Joško Poljak Fan
04-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Rašo was always able to play like that if the team demanded that from him, while he also isn't that pumped up kind of guy that would traumate over getting a side-line dirty job role, the team is first and Rašo is one of those guys that'll stay quiet and won't complain with it.

I don't believe it was an injury in the begining of the season it's all a matter of trust of the coach and hierarchy stuff in the team that is a way bigger issue in NBA than in europe.
Bargnani was pushed forward in order to develope in the begining of the season, nothing against Bargs, but he isn't comparable to Rašo's effect on court, yet got the minutes.
stuff that really bothers me in NBA, players deserving to play but get sat on bench, due to some high draft pick or Shareef Abdul Raheem getting major considerations there because of "past" or "future" while I think we all agree the players should be getting pt mostly due to "presence" instead.
I am glad he is doing fine, but I am not surprised at all.

Neozyrus
04-05-2008, 04:01 PM
I don't believe it was an injury in the begining of the season it's all a matter of trust of the coach and hierarchy stuff in the team that is a way bigger issue in NBA than in europe.
Bargnani was pushed forward in order to develope in the begining of the season, nothing against Bargs, but he isn't comparable to Rašo's effect on court, yet got the minutes.
stuff that really bothers me in NBA, players deserving to play but get sat on bench, due to some high draft pick or Shareef Abdul Raheem getting major considerations there because of "past" or "future" while I think we all agree the players should be getting pt mostly due to "presence" instead.
I am glad he is doing fine, but I am not surprised at all.

Yeah thats what i think too. And it is nt thet im surprised about him, im quite aware of what he can really do. Im surprised about his situtaion in some of the first games of the season, where if im not wrong, he even didnt play a single minute a couple of times. And these are the things that bother me the most, cause being indulgent with Torontos' coaches (this can be applied to ther teams too), how can a coach, whose work is to watch constantly the aptitudes and the condition of his players, not realize that he had a big man like him lost in the bench? ( and even more knowing how rare are these players o the NBA) That wouldnt say a lot in favour of that coach. Thats why i said the injury thing.
I understand a player can have his ups and downs during a 82-games season, but c'mon, from being a "6 min" player to be a starter and the main offensive weapon (aong with Bosh) in the last month. I really dont get it.
-And you have plenty of these examples each year (Udrih, Herrmann, as well as many american players too)-

But if i think that the reason why he didnt play more before could be the ones u said about Bargnani and other "cirmcunstances", then i couldnt be indulgent any more with that team, cause as i was always teached "victory is the first and only objective" when you build a team. If you have any other considerations doing that, then you are not doing well your job. Thats my opinion.

Joško Poljak Fan
04-05-2008, 04:36 PM
exactly, the team is primarily supposed to be built for winning games, okay giving someone some playing time to develope, no harm done at all might be a great investment. But NBA took this "image" thing beyond the limits healthy for sports and too many other things that might be barely related to it from sport perspective are deciding on the playing time and team's hierarchy, I've read some stuff about Calderon/Ford issue as well and I don't like that attitude at all and thats just not how things should work in a team.

Couldn't agree more on Mitchel, it's a complete questionmark to me. I don't want to make Nesterovič a "Spanoulis no.2 case" since I consider him undervalued (by majority) but can't see how can a coach make such weird decisions. Luckily Rašo is prooving me right and Mitchel wrong lately.

elaj
04-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Rasho again did it well, 22 points, 14 rebounds in 38 minutes. :eek:

2yfQck_RC4g
:D

Boki Nachbar had 8 points, 5 rebounds and 1 assists in 19 minutes.

mvblair
04-06-2008, 02:16 PM
He's great. I said in the Bogut thread that Rasho, Bogut, and Z are the three best centers in the East right now, and I think Rasho is the best of all right now (give Bogut a few more years).

Good jump hook (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo?slug=93aeb826dfb2433801c630f29e51b8fc-getty-76075508nd003_hawks_nets&prov=getty)
Versus Okafor (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo?slug=ae751eb67b893a3afe1fd1e67fe278f1-getty-76075110rt21_bobcats_raptrs&prov=getty)
Anybody wanna' play defense!? (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo?slug=2be738d134f4e503bb4e15e6f37b83e3-getty-76075110rt13_bobcats_raptrs&prov=getty)
Happy Toronto bench (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo?slug=afd3e7cd81b8430589531e52703f0030.raptor s_hawks_basketball_gaja108&prov=ap)
That hook is why he's so good (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo?slug=dce1b76f14aedfd180abca847292b602-getty-76075240sc002_raptors_hawks&prov=getty)

mvblair
04-08-2008, 02:23 PM
A quick article about Boki's potential contract:

Nachbar May Gain through Pain (http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/2008/04/nachbar_may_gain_through_pain.html) -- April 8, 2008, by Dave Waldstein, The Star-Ledger

Vince Carter isn't the only Nets player who refuses to give up on a fading season despite an injury.

Boki Nachbar has been playing through a painful disc injury in his lower back for weeks which, in some ways, is more impressive than what Carter is doing because Nachbar is making a sacrifice for a team he may not even be playing for next year.

Nachbar's team-first attitude in a contract year has not gone unnoticed by Nets president Rod Thorn, who said Nachbar's dedication to the team will be factored in this summer when he decides whether to re-sign the 27-year-old forward.

"When you're trying to assess players, the ones who care and the ones who give you all they have are valuable," Thorn said. "Certainly you take that into consideration.

"It says a lot about him that he's still out there playing. Even though our chances don't look very good right now, he's still out there competing. But that's the kind of guy Boki is."

As a free agent at the end of the season, Nachbar is taking a risk by continuing to play, especially when there's only a mathematical chance of the Nets making the playoffs. It's doubtful he would injure it further, but if he did, it could seriously impair his financial prospects over the summer.

But Nachbar said he expects to continue playing even if the Nets get eliminated before the last game.

"I'll play it out," he said. "I want to keep playing and keep helping the team."

Nachbar was one of several players who showed up at an optional practice yesterday, which impressed the head coach.

"Nachbar deserves a lot of credit," Lawrence Frank said. "It would be very easy to take some time off. He's in a lot of pain, but similar to Vince, he's very determined to want to finish it out."

Nachbar is a good player. He won't ever be a superstar in any league, although he does have great individual games. He's got that mentality that all coaches want: he's tough and smart and will be a great option for any team.

elaj
04-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Beno is back on court after an injury! :D

23 minutes, 10 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists in loss against Golden State.

mvblair
04-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Beno is back on court after an injury! :D

23 minutes, 10 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists in loss against Golden State.
I'm surprised he returned. Maybe he's trying to be like Nachbar and prove that he can play when injured.

mvblair
04-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Rasho Nesterovic has had a double digit points for the past 15 games for the Raptors. Coach Mitchell played Nesterovic only 22 minutes because the Raptors were killing the Nets. Check out his game log on Yahoo! Sports for a pretty impressive list of numbers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3260/gamelog;_ylt=AuYR.k1SRi3xwmnv94FN2emkvLYF).

Slovenia versus Serbian (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo;_ylt=ArVxW8OVxsbE9E9OxatpotOkvLYF?slug=6bcd0 b60e4efd704eb1ff9780aed80b4-getty-76075127rt11_nets_raptors&prov=getty)
Rasho looking pretty athletic (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo?slug=192d635572a6a9de46c6b327e8983480-getty-76075124rt09_bucks_raptors&prov=getty)
Slovenia versus Australian (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo?slug=b846439e7cce90288e79e4522470ac91-getty-76075124rt10_bucks_raptors&prov=getty)
Lay-up (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo?slug=f4926805efc3fede4d978befd33c2b29-getty-76075124rt04_bucks_raptors&prov=getty)
Hook shot (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo?slug=4b8133f7be3c34c569b6b9e10d70419b-getty-76075124rt01_bucks_raptors&prov=getty)

elaj
04-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Some fine Beno Udrih highlights from 2007-08 season

1jBdHB2h5Ks

elaj
04-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Boki Nachbar with a great game, 15 points, 3-3 for 3, 6-8 FGMA, 3 rebounds, 1 assist in 21 minutes.

He should really get more playing time in the next season (only 22mpg this season), but it will be hard with New Jersey. I believe he can do better. He will be Free Agent in the summer. I believe he is capable of putting 15ppg through whole season. His contract is also funny, 2.5M$ is just unfair for such player. Dude, Aleksandar Pavlović will be getting 4.5M$ in Cleveland for next season, ask for at least 5.5M$ then.

Beno Udrih with 9 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist in 26 minutes.

Alyosha12
04-13-2008, 10:46 AM
Boki Nachbar with a great game, 15 points, 3-3 for 3, 6-8 FGMA, 3 rebounds, 1 assist in 21 minutes.

He should really get more playing time in the next season (only 22mpg this season), but it will be hard with New Jersey. I believe he can do better. He will be Free Agent in the summer. I believe he is capable of putting 15ppg through whole season. His contract is also funny, 2.5M$ is just unfair for such player. Dude, Aleksandar Pavlović will be getting 4.5M$ in Cleveland for next season, ask for at least 5.5M$ then.

Beno Udrih with 9 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist in 26 minutes.

I really don't think he is. He is the most inconsistent player i know of. He is capable of going off for 35 one game, and then completely freez the next 3 with 15% shooting.

I think the most he can get is 11PPG if he played 28mins per game IMO 15 is out of reach for him, unless he gets consistent.

mvblair
04-13-2008, 03:01 PM
I really don't think he is. He is the most inconsistent player i know of. He is capable of going off for 35 one game, and then completely freez the next 3 with 15% shooting.

I think the most he can get is 11PPG if he played 28mins per game IMO 15 is out of reach for him, unless he gets consistent.
I'm with Elaj on this one. Nachbar is a good player. Alyosha, you're right he is very inconsistent. But he also only plays about 20 minutes per game. If he played just 10 more minutes, I'd expect at least a 50% increase in his statistics. And I think he could do that. Of course, right now, at the best time of his career, he's playing behind Vince Carter and Richard Jefferson, two players with plenty of minutes.

Neozyrus
04-13-2008, 04:36 PM
I dont know why but with these numbers and the inconsistency issue, Nachbar reminds me of Navarro. And i think that they are both great shooters, but quite irregular, and i think that with minutes and he could end doing around 13/14 ppg. And about his contract, well it is too a little bit a matter of luck ,but i think that he could get a 4 million contract easily, he just needs to find a coach that had already seen him during these years in NJ.

mvblair
04-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Rasho Nesterovic scored 20 points, 8 rebounds in 43 minutes versus Miami.

Udrih had 24 points (10-13), 6 assists, and 4 rebounds in a loss to LA. Vujacic had 8 points, 5 rebounds.

Rasho lays it up (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo;_ylt=AnrUYZw05sfz7fQnsdIeek2kvLYF?slug=6bb4a db3882547fbe306abeb7a6bba35-getty-76075122rt12_heat_raptors&prov=getty)
Rasho slams it down (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo;_ylt=Aij2eH4hrnHE4Y5vf6_xDQCkvLYF?slug=960d1 6a767ff49768cb8782fa30ee8a5.nets_raptors_basketbal l_ajw109&prov=ap)
The Bean Man versus Fischer (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo;_ylt=Amzg6EKg4j2d2EzhSdJJMRqkvLYF?slug=1e19e a24ee8bcbb482c0f340a5444765-getty-76076213lb014_sacramento_ki&prov=getty)
The Bean Man versus Lil' Bean Bryant (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo;_ylt=Ahz49.gboGm2Ve.zWSG1I9KkvLYF?slug=b395a 4d6efb31cc4cc59c27f9ea5222d-getty-76076213lb005_sacramento_ki&prov=getty)
Vujacic on the bench (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo;_ylt=AqZtJF6Z5EMI1Iyfl6qt7.WkvLYF?slug=36d72 cff33d43904f3fd65c3cb97314c-getty-76076213ab016_kings_lakers&prov=getty)
Vujacic and Lil' Bean Bryant hugging (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo;_ylt=Akt.eoPDwSOilXe1f75.bW2kvLYF?slug=4f09a d2f4532d6dc302443ee713341da-getty-76076213ng010_kings_lakers&prov=getty)
Vujacic laying it up (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo;_ylt=AoVpTCI3bnqntqBPXU1GgwikvLYF?slug=f39dd a0649adf47e7c82cd1c7685cd74-getty-76075044ab013_spurs_lakers&prov=getty)

mvblair
04-16-2008, 12:55 PM
A note about Rasho from the newspapers:

Things You Need to Know About (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/NBA/article/414976) -- April 16, 2008, the Toronto Star, by Dave Feschuk

The Super Slovenian. Rasho Nesterovic, the 7-footer, is having a career season at age 31. The heart-warming explanation? He's been inspired by the recent birth of his son, Nikola, who, the proud papa reports, sleeps as soundly as a teenager at four months. The less heart-warming explanation? Nesterovic earns his $7.8 million salary in U.S. dollars. The buck is slumping horribly against the euro, the currency in which Nesterovic pays his off-season bills. Perhaps intent on earning another contract past his current deal, which expires next season, he is rebounding like a champ to stick around until the greenback does likewise.

elaj
04-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Considering he holds also Greek passport and his quality and the fact that he doesn't enjoy life overseas (said this many times!) he will get a better contract in Europe (Panathinaikos/Olympiakos especially due to his passport) as soon as his contract expires!

woma
04-25-2008, 02:20 AM
He's not a player... but he's important part of slovenian basketball, so I inform that Ales Pipan and Anwil Wloclawek were just killed at home in decisive, game nr 5 of semifinals of DBE by Polpak Swiecie. Team of Mihailo Uvalin won 82:66, Ales Pipan is dead on polish market since yesterday.

Joško Poljak Fan
04-25-2008, 08:47 AM
He's not a player... but he's important part of slovenian basketball, so I inform that Ales Pipan and Anwil Wloclawek were just killed at home in decisive, game nr 5 of semifinals of DBE by Polpak Swiecie. Team of Mihailo Uvalin won 82:66, Ales Pipan is dead on polish market since yesterday.
Elaj said somewhere recently that Pipan is considering returning to Slovenia after this year... sadly not that good of a news when reading that our NT coach is dead on the market and as I've read in the el section, being overcoached...

mvblair
04-25-2008, 02:15 PM
After scoring 16 points (8-15), and 8 rebounds in his first game against Orlando, Sam Mitchell played Rasho Nesterovic only 6 minutes the second game and 10 minutes the third game.

Anybody know what's happening? I suspect that because Orlando is a small team (Rashard Lewis is their big forward), Mitchell doesn't think Rasho should be on the court very much. The problem is that Bosh is so skinny, Howard can push him all around the paint.

No chance to block it (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo?slug=cf2386a9cab434d3a29af90f7e04803b-getty-80372926fm015_raptors_magic&prov=getty)
Big chance to block it (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo?slug=e440bd54d45b4e85bc21efa667cec6c0.magic_ raptors_basketball__ajw105&prov=ap)

Trica.°
05-18-2008, 11:57 AM
When you were talking about Nesterović that he wont be coming back to Olimpija... Didn't he say that he will come back to Olimpija in the season, when Slovenia will be hosting Euroleagues Final 4? Well that's at least what I've heard, when Janković asked him to come back..;)

matrix031
05-26-2008, 09:50 AM
Yesterday Grum, Goljovic and Dragsic won the Austrian championship by beating Oberwart on their court with 88:89.

Goljovic 14 points, 3 rebounds, 30 minutes
Grum 14 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 37 minutes
Dragsic 2:30 minutes

Joško Poljak Fan
05-28-2008, 01:19 PM
all of those would be welcome in some mid-high level clubs here easily :)

now this is sth. , the machine... :D

t1ewIkVRdEo

...hilarious :D

rikhardur
06-26-2008, 01:16 PM
So Nesterovič will play with the Pacers next season... Opinions?

elaj
06-26-2008, 03:00 PM
So Nesterovič will play with the Pacers next season... Opinions?
I can't believe they traded J. O'Neal for Rasho, Ford and some draft pick... seriously, what the hell? :)

In my opinion good for Rasho, he'll play there and probably have more important role in the team as he did in Raptors...

mvblair
06-26-2008, 03:36 PM
So Nesterovič will play with the Pacers next season... Opinions? Rasho is a defensive improvement for the Pacers over O'Neal. He can defend all the big men who walked on top of O'Neal. Nesterovic is not as good an offensive player, but I think he's still capable of getting 15 points every few games. Kelly Dwyer of Yahoo! Sports said that Indiana may try to trade Nesterovic because he has a big contract that is about to end (which is good for teams who want to sign younger free agents the next year).

Joško Poljak Fan
06-27-2008, 08:21 AM
Rasho's expireing 8 million contract is why he got traded.
anyway... I think it'll just one more year when (as most people would call it) "by conincidence" the team Rasho plays in makes the playoffs and yet only few will figure out why :)

Alyosha12
06-28-2008, 08:56 AM
mms://phxsuns.wmod.llnwd.net/a205/o2/draft08_080626.wmv

This video makes me wish Dragic will go to the NBA.

It seems that PHX really wants him and believes in him, they were even considering picking him with their 15th pick.

Also it seems Dragic won't get a lot of minutes at TAU.

elaj
06-28-2008, 10:05 AM
mms://phxsuns.wmod.llnwd.net/a205/o2/draft08_080626.wmv

This video makes me wish Dragic will go to the NBA.

It seems that PHX really wants him and believes in him, they were even considering picking him with their 15th pick.

Also it seems Dragic won't get a lot of minutes at TAU.
Goran Dragič has huge NBA potential that's for sure, but in my opinion he should stay in Europe for at least two more years.

He has NBA ready body, he is a great athlete and good defender. The only thing he lacks is better outside shooting (consistant!). He needs to work on that and just play more than he would at his first year in NBA or in TAU. That's why the best option for him would be Olimpija for one more season, but chances for that to happen are small to non existant. :(

Alyosha12
06-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Goran Dragič has huge NBA potential that's for sure, but in my opinion he should stay in Europe for at least two more years.

He has NBA ready body, he is a great athlete and good defender. The only thing he lacks is better outside shooting (consistant!). He needs to work on that and just play more than he would at his first year in NBA or in TAU. That's why the best option for him would be Olimpija for one more season, but chances for that to happen are small to non existant. :(

Oh yeah i would love for that to happen too, but i just don't see that happening.
If TAU wont get him then the suns definitely will, they are just to high on him not to.
Kerr even said he was the second best PG in the draft.
I would rather see him go to play for the Suns and get 10mins per game there then to see him rot at TAU.
I think in the first year with the suns he would get at least 10mins per game, and really add a lot of muscle to his body, now wouldn't that be something for his penetrating game.
His shot IMO really isn't that bad, his stats in the NLB league back me up on that statement he only needs more confidence in it.

All in all i wish he could stay with Džikić for one more year, that guy would make an awesome player out of him.

rikhardur
07-23-2008, 09:43 PM
Samo Udrih will officially play with Estudiantes next season.

BorisD
07-26-2008, 12:47 PM
After scoring 16 points (8-15), and 8 rebounds in his first game against Orlando, Sam Mitchell played Rasho Nesterovic only 6 minutes the second game and 10 minutes the third game.

Anybody know what's happening?
LOL - had to chuckle when I read this. As a Toronto fan, let me break it down for you:

"That's life as usual with the worst coaching staff in the NBA."

Fish
08-18-2008, 09:43 AM
Has Dragic really signed for the Suns??????
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2008/08/17/20080817dragiconline.html
???

elaj
08-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Has Dragic really signed for the Suns??????
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2008/08/17/20080817dragiconline.html
???
Not yet. He is in Phoenix for medical examinations, after that he'll sign four years contract with Phoenix Suns with 4th year by team option.

I just hope he'll get a backup role to Nash as he was promised. He could learn a lot from Nash.

Proph·et
08-19-2008, 08:31 AM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-33-192/Diamond-----or-Rough--Suns-Unearth-Something-in-Dragic.html Interesting read, I agree with JG completely.

MarkoMilic
09-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Emir Preldzic and also Gasper Vidmar look inspiring this summer. May be it is too early to say that but this can be the season that both take a big step for being important parts of Fenerbahce and Slovenian NT in the near future. Ömer Asik is out for 6 months, that means Gasper will be given more playing-times by Tanjevic, especially at high-level games. Things are similar for Emir who is usually used by Tanjevic in four different spots. His versatility is the best speciality of him and makes him important for squad-rotation. Also he has fairly improved his shooting skills, it is told that he had worked with Solomon on this. :) I am getting exciting news about their preseason performances, i hope both will have a better season...

Joško Poljak Fan
09-16-2008, 05:58 PM
nice to hear that. :)
They are a NT potential for the upcoming years, no doubt about it. It'll also be interesting to watch Fener's development though that period, considering all those youngsters Tanjević gathered in the club.

mvblair
09-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Do we need to make a new 2008/2009 Slo Players Abroad thread?

So, the Dragic deal is done:

Suns Sign Young Dragic (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AgKb1Y0pB_pg9uCo0SHolfi8vLYF?slug=ap-suns-dragic&prov=ap&type=lgns) -- By BOB BAUM, AP, September 23, 2008

PHOENIX (AP)—The Phoenix Suns have signed Slovenian point guard Goran Dragic to a multiyear contract and say he will play for the team this season.

The Suns acquired rights to the quick, sharp-shooting 22-year-old left-hander in a draft-day trade with the San Antonio Spurs. The contract is for three years with a team option for a fourth.

The Suns see the 6-foot-3, 190-pound European as a backup and eventual replacement for 34-year-old Steve Nash.

Dragic reached a $2 million buyout agreement with his Spanish team TAU Ceramica. The Suns contributed the NBA limit of $500,000. That doesn’t count Dragic’s salary which no doubt covered in the remainder of the deal.

Suns general manager Steve Kerr said Monday night that the deal took longer than expected but added “we knew it was just a matter of time.”

Although Dragic was the 45th overall pick overall, the Suns considered him second only to No. 1 pick Derrick Rose among point guards in the draft.

In a video shown on YouTube of the Suns headquarters during the draft, Kerr clenched his fist in triumph, then exchanged high-fives with everyone in the room after completing the trade that nabbed Dragic in the second round.

The Suns quietly brought Dragic to Phoenix for a workout just before the draft.

“He didn’t work out for any other NBA teams because he wanted to play for us,” Kerr said. “He flew from Slovenia to Phoenix and basically worked out the next day, then flew back there.”

Other NBA teams didn’t show interest because Dragic’s Spanish contract didn’t allow a buyout until next summer, but Dragic let it be known through his agent that he wanted to play with Nash and the Suns. Dragic also felt he could negotiate a buyout for this year.

Kerr called Dragic “a great kid—really, really competitive.”

The Suns sent San Antonio their second-round pick—the 48th overall—along with a 2009 second-round choice and cash. The Spurs used that pick to select forward-guard Malik Hairston of Oregon.

Dragic had been part of the Slovenian national team since 2006. During the 2007 European championships, he played 28 minutes in Slovenia’s upset of Tony Parker-led France.

Dragic spent last season with Union Olimpija, helping the team win the Slovenia League championship and the Slovenian Cup. He averaged 9.7 points, 3.1 assists and 1.2 steals in 13 games. He also averaged 12 points, 3.1 assists and 1.7 steals in 28 Adriatic League games.

“When I was a kid, it was my dream to play in the NBA,” Dragic told the Arizona Republic after he was drafted. “It was my wish that the Suns pick me.”

But Kerr noted that Dragic will have to earn his playing time.

“He hasn’t done anything yet,” Kerr said. “He’s a prospect. We’re very high on him but he has to prove it. If he doesn’t, somebody else will. He’s not guaranteed anything.”

The Suns, in their first season under coach Terry Porter, hold their media day next Monday, then begin a five-day training camp in Tucson on Tuesday.

rikhardur
10-04-2008, 11:53 PM
Bad start of the season for Samo Udrih, he'll be out for 4 weeks after injuring his left hand in training yesterday.

AlbionGate
10-05-2008, 12:48 AM
Why most of slovenian players who were or are in NBA have serbian names (Marko Milic, Radoslav Nesterovic, Aleksandar Vujacic, Goran Dragic)? :) :D

rikhardur
10-05-2008, 01:16 AM
Why most of slovenian players who were or are in NBA have serbian names (Marko Milic, Radoslav Nesterovic, Aleksandar Vujacic, Goran Dragic)? :) :D
What do you mean Serbian names?

elaj
10-05-2008, 09:49 AM
Marko Milic - his father is Serbian, mother Slovenian, he was born in Slovenia (Kranj)
Radoslav Nesterovic - his parents are Bosnian Serbs, he was born in Slovenia (Ljubljana)
Aleksandar Vujacic - his father is Montenegrin, mother Serbian, he was born in Slovenia (Maribor)
Goran Dragic - his parents are Serbian, he was born in Slovenia (Ljubljana)

Most importently they all perfered Slovenian citizenship therefore playing for Slovenia instead of Serbia (it's logical that you play for country where you grew up)... well, I'm sure Vujacic would rather play for Italy than Serbia/Montenegro or Slovenia. :D

All of them are children of Serbs who left their home country (emigrants) seeking better life already in past Yugoslavia... (a lot of such cases in Slovenia) therefore were born in Slovenia. Except for Marko Milic's case, as I know his mother and father were both Yugoslavian NT athletes...

AlbionGate
10-05-2008, 12:32 PM
For Nesterovic I'm not sure, you have to remember he left Slovan to join Partizan, but at the time (from 1992 to 1995) Yugoslavia (only Serbia & Montenegro) was under UN sanctions and was banned from all competitions. Then he moved to Greece (PAOK) where he became "Makris". He played for the first time for Slovenia during this period (in 1994).

To Elaj, I hope you won't see anything nationalistic in my post, because I consider that the slovenian basketball school and slovenian coaches are the ones who made this accomplishment possible (sending so much players in NBA) ;)

Alyosha12
10-05-2008, 12:39 PM

Man i hate people who make such arguments damn.

They rather play for Slovenia deal with it.

Its like saying why players from the US have dutch african english etc. names.

For Nesterovic I'm not sure, you have to remember he left Slovan to join Partizan, but at the time (from 1992 to 1995) Yugoslavia (only Serbia & Montenegro) was under UN sanctions and was banned from all competitions. Then he moved to Greece (PAOK) where he became "Makris". He played for the first time for Slovenia during this period (in 1994).

To Elaj, I hope you won't see anything nationalistic in my post, because I consider that the slovenian basketball school and slovenian coaches are the ones who made this accomplishment possible (sending so much players in NBA) ;)
if it wasn't meant as nationalistic what was the point of the question you knew the answer already, so either you are a smart-ass or a nationalistic pig you decide.

AlbionGate
10-05-2008, 12:49 PM
I won't answer.:confused:

Joško Poljak Fan
10-05-2008, 01:27 PM
I think it's easy to say sth. like one third of people living in Ljubljana's urban region has at least one of the parents of ex-Yu origin. Even Ljubljana's mayor was born in Serbia. So it's not really something unussual... try to look at the roster of our football NT :)
Than for example you've got guys as Nebojša Joksimović born in Koper, also to Serbian parents...
even in ice hockey Sabahudin Kovačević is a proud member of Slovenian NT... with guys as Murajica Pajić as one of our biggest hockey legends...

Did Nesterović actually play any games for PAOK, anyone? if i recall correctly Greeks were pretty pissed since he abandoned them as soon as he received the Greek passport...

in general... guys, calm down... it's worthless to argue about all that...

MarkoMilic
10-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Let's change the subject. :)

Emir and Gasper during Turkish Cup:

Emir Preldzic:

Vs. Erdemir: 12 pts(3/5 2pts, 2/4 3pts), 3rebs (1 of,2 def), 2st, 1as in 13:12 minutes
Vs. Kepez: 14 pts(5/5 2pts, 0/3 3pts, 4/4 ft), 5rebs (2 of,3 def), 4as in 22:26 minutes
Vs. Banvit: 5 pts (0/2 2pts, 1/3 pts, 2/2 ft), 8rebs (2 of, 6 def), 3as in 24:01 minutes

Gasper Vidmar:

Vs. Erdemir: 9pts (4/4 2 pts, 1/2 ft), 4rebs (3 def,1 of), 2st, 1 blk in 16:10 minutes
Vs. Kepez: 6pts (1/3 2 pts, 4/4 ft), 1 reb(def), 1 blk, 3 to in 15:19 minutes
Vs. Banvit: 10 pts (3/6 2 pts, 4/4 ft), 2 rebs (2 def), 1as, 1blk in 16:23 minutes

Tanjevic uses every player on rotation and it was only Giricek, who played more than 26-27 minutes during these games. Emir and Gasper are given important playing times but Gasper still has the same problem; taking easy and early fouls...

Veliki_AS
10-05-2008, 08:34 PM

Those are some examples of our slovenian ignorance. These players are recognized as slovene, other with non-slovene surnames as a remains of former Yugoslavia are called "chefurji" (has to do smth with word cifut) by other slovenian population.

Because serbian-montenegro-bosnian minority is not recognized by Slovenia, in basketball they can prove themselves and gain some respect, so their community sticks together like hell. They had also a lot of great coaches like Todorovic, Lazic, Milovic, Sekulic, Subotic who always promote their players.

Not to mention their knowledge about this sport.Few years back there was one great slovenian forum for basketball on www.adriaticbasket.com, which was lead by famous Fidel, who admitted once that one of his parents was serbian.So......do the math ;)

I read once that Goran Dragic mother is pure slovenian, she was well know volleyball player once. Small lapsus by elaj

rikhardur
11-19-2008, 03:11 AM
Dominant game for Rašo Nesterović scoring 21 points, grabbing 7 rebounds, dishing 5 assists, stealing 2 balls and blocking 3 shots. All-around game! He's been feeling quite confortable in Indiana's scheme.

mvblair
11-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Dominant game for Rašo Nesterović scoring 21 points, grabbing 7 rebounds, dishing 5 assists, stealing 2 balls and blocking 3 shots. All-around game! He's been feeling quite confortable in Indiana's scheme. He had 12 points, 12 rebounds the other night, too. I think he missed some of the first games in the season, though. I'd really like to see him get the ball more. I think Rasho can be quite passive sometimes, but when he's allowed to back into the paint, he's very effective. He can just raise those long arms up and get a nice shot off the glass.

Udrih had 11 points (4-5), 4 steals, 5 assists[/b] in a loss to Memphis last night. Udrih had a game the other week with 30 points, 7 assists. When you take away his 2 and 4 point games in the first week of the season, he's averaging something like 16 points, 5 assists.

Alyosha12
11-23-2008, 08:58 AM
It seems Dragic has been benched.
I am sorry to say, but he got all the chances in the world, and got more then enough minutes to prove himself.

rikhardur
11-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Udrih nearly had a triple-double against the Mavericks: 13 points + 9 rebounds + 7 assists and 2 steals.

mvblair
12-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Rasho had 16 points, 10 rebounds against Pau Gasol and the Lakers last night. Indiana won buy a single point. Rasho is a solid player. He plays great defense and always defends the bigger, tougher centers very well.

Udrih had 17 points, 4 assists, 5 turnovers in a loss to Utah. Udrih is averaging about 13 points, 5 assists this year.

zwbgr
12-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Rasho had 16 points, 10 rebounds against Pau Gasol and the Lakers last night. Indiana won buy a single point. Rasho is a solid player. He plays great defense and always defends the bigger, tougher centers very well.

Except Dwight Howard :p

elaj
12-03-2008, 06:31 PM
Name one guy who can defend Howard? :)

jugoplastika
12-03-2008, 10:30 PM

If you refer only to Dwight`s dunk on Rašo which happened 2 or 3 days ago, then I have to say it was an offensive foul. At least refs could blow in Rašo`s favor.

Elaj: I think it is not big deal to defend him, nail some (outside) shoots, or to push him in foul trouble, if we talk about international game and centers.

But yes, in the NBA he is a hard-to-deal player.

zwbgr
12-03-2008, 11:36 PM
Name one guy who can defend Howard? :)

It's not that others can stop him but that Howard always posts smth like 25 points, 20 rebounds when Rasho defends him.

mvblair
12-13-2008, 04:11 PM
Udrih had another good night: 17 points, 7 assist. Sacramento lost to the Lakers.

Sacramento is a bad team. Garcia and Udrih are OK, but without Kevin Martin (who is kind of a marginal star, in my opinion), they won't do very much against any team. They're terribly weak up front.

elaj
12-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Goran Dragič on his way to D-League? Dee Brown was signed by Phoenix and as backup to Steve Nash. As predicted his decision bout going to NBA was a stupid one.

mvblair
02-18-2009, 09:59 AM
Goran Dragič got 20 minutes last night (Phoenix won the game 140-100). Dragič had 12 points (4-6), 4 rebounds, 4 turnovers, and 2 assists. This was the first game with Alvin Gentry as their new coach.

mvblair
02-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Another 12 point game for Daddy Dragič last night! He shot 5-7 FGs and added 3 rebounds, 2 assists in a 23 point victory over the Los Angeles Clippers.

Happy Kid with a New Coach (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4507/photos;_ylt=Akz8I7dwaT_rpRZhTi9PN2D4PaB4?slug=ed1a e478f72b4276aab32db0516530a9.clippers_suns_basketb all_pnu105)
Fouled by Novak...and Dragic doesn't look as skinny as I thought he was! (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4507/photos;_ylt=Ag9jZ36GQatZc9PEUZwB5jD4PaB4?slug=cffc 7bcc7d1b434599e7606304dd3f76.suns_clippers_basketb all_cahm103)

Fish
02-25-2009, 06:33 AM
Nachbar is warming up!?*
27 points (outside!)*
Eurosport 2 has a report at 4 pm I believe...

mvblair
02-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Nachbar is warming up!?*
27 points (outside!)*
Eurosport 2 has a report at 4 pm I believe... Good to see him finding success. He's got a fantastic game. I hope Dynamo is happy with him!

mvblair
02-27-2009, 04:19 PM
14 points in 18 minutes for Dr. Dragič. He shot 4-8 FGs and 2-3 3s. He also had 3 assists and 4 turnovers. Phoenix lost by 26 points to LA. :rolleyes:

Dribble drive (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4507/photos;_ylt=AsGzxkmUlqsPAAnt2ecpM674PaB4?slug=1319 3d7b4a7fd0202bfb8c605e6f453d-getty-82990642ng013_suns_lakers)

mvblair
03-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Udrih has been hurt badly by a bad right foot. He was hurt last week and has not played since Wednesday. According to the Sacramento Bee, Udrih is going to have an MRI on his foot, which was x-rayed and is not broken.

He's been working out a little, but says that there is very significant pain.

Alyosha12
04-14-2009, 07:44 AM
So the NBA season is almost over, and its time to take a look back.
Do you guys think Dragic made the right choice going to thr NBA insted of staying in Europe and playing for TAU?
I think he did. Just look at Barac for example, he is a good young prospect but got very little playing time in TAU, where as Dragic got a lot of chances and is still getting a lot of chances near the end of the season.

rikhardur
04-14-2009, 02:17 PM
So the NBA season is almost over, and its time to take a look back.
Do you guys think Dragic made the right choice going to thr NBA insted of staying in Europe and playing for TAU?
I think he did. Just look at Barac for example, he is a good young prospect but got very little playing time in TAU, where as Dragic got a lot of chances and is still getting a lot of chances near the end of the season.
Yes, I also think he made the right choice, but that's just my opinion after the season is almost over. Typically a European rookie doesn't get many minutes.

mvblair
04-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Well, I really don't know. As Rik said, international players tend not to get a lot of minutes their first year. Dragic was not an exception. He averaged about 13 minutes per game; however, a glance at his game log (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4507/gamelog;_ylt=AuQLBnHFVqd37O8bZ6TQpHD4PaB4) shows that he got a lot of minutes at the end of the season and his minutes seem to have gone up after Diaw and Bell left (about January 31). He put together a lot of 12 point games, but maintained a dismal shooting percentage (40%).

Compared to Jose Calderon, who averaged 5 points in 20 minutes his rookie year, and considering he is a rookie PG, I'd say his season was pretty succesful. He played behind Steve Nash and Leandro Barbosa, two premier PGs, and still managed to get some good numbers.

A step above Calderon is Tony Parker, who averaged 9 points, 4 assists in 30 minutes per game his rookie year.

So, I think it's reasonable to say that Dragic played well given 13 minutes per game.

Whether or not he could've played that much behind Prigioni and Rakočević is unclear. Personally, I don't think he would've played more than 13 minutes per game; certainly not in EL competition.

Buzissa
04-15-2009, 04:44 PM
Dragic already showed some skills... But, if you repair, he has a lack of confidence (I don't know why) and that is expressed in number of turnovers (1,35 in 13 minutes per game). If he solves his confidence problems, he can be a good role player...

Vujacic did a good game yesterday: 15 points (6-8 FG's; 3-4 3PT's) in 21 minutes...

MarkoMilic
04-18-2009, 10:07 AM
After Willie Solomon's return, Gasper Vidmar has become the sixth foreign player at Fenerbahce's roster and he will most probably not play at the remaining games of the regular season and Playoffs because of the foreign player limit, which is limited to 5 at the domestic competitions in Turkey. I also don't think that he will be able to get a chance next season. He is a talented, hard working and good natured player but may be moving to Turkey so early was not the best decision for him. I hope he can get a better chance for his development and future…

rikhardur
10-10-2009, 08:14 PM
E. Lorbek's first game in ACB for Barcelona: 15 pts + 7 rebs + 3 assists + 1 steal. Barça won.

ip84
10-31-2009, 12:17 PM
http://www.acb.com/redaccion.php?id=62217
Erazem Lorbek, pianist of Palau

Don't miss the link to the video there!

elaj
10-31-2009, 12:28 PM
Actually, all Lorbek brothers (Erazem, Domen and Klemen) play piano very good. All of them have a degree from lower musical school.

The most successfull one was Domen who played/studied piano for 11 years and was thinking of enrolling to higher musical school but at the end decided to go with basketball.

Jeopardy
11-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Today Nachbar was on fire... Efes Pilsen beat Fenerbahce Ulker 80-67, and Nachbar scored 13 points in the last quarter. He finished with 15 points, 3 rebounds, 1 asist, 3 turnovers. He played as pf.

ip84
11-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Don't know the states but from watching the game Beno Udrih played well tonight in the victory @Utha Jazz.

He was even more brilliant at the other victory of the Kings against Memphis having 15 points and I think 6 assist, including big plays in the end of 4th quarter and at the overtime.

janos
02-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Not on the same level as most of the guys mentioned here but Miha Zupan has been instrumental in AS Trikala 2000's battle to avoid relegation this season.
His stats (26mpg, 11.1ppg, 61.8%2pts, 35.9%3pts, 68.2%fts, 4.3rpg, 1.7apg, 0.5bpg, 0.4stpg) though decent are not spectacular.
What matters the most imo however is the guy's sense of commitment and professionalism,playing for a club plagued by financial problems and player-management
frequent changes.
The truth is that Miha is the leader of his team,always giving 100% and trying to help his teammates, at least on a psychological level.
Clearly one of my favorite players in this years' A1.

rikhardur
11-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Forward Saša Mučič has been released by Anwil Włocławek.

rikhardur
11-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Mocnik had a great game in Greece - Nov 21, 2010 (by Matej Bergant)
Slovenian Jure Mocnik (185-G-85, Agency: ProStep Sports Agency) had a great performance in Greek League yesterday. His team DASH Peristeri made a remarkable upset against Aris Thessaloniki and he led his team in final index ranking. He scored 11 points with 3/3 from the field and also collected 3 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 steals. He had an index ranking of 21, which was the highest of this game. His team DASH Peristeri is currently a pleasant surprise of Greek League with 3 wins and only 2 defeats.
http://www.eurobasket.com/Slovenia/basketball.asp?NewsID=209375

rikhardur
12-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Sasha Vujačić has been traded to the New Jersey Nets.

rikhardur
01-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Two more Slos abroad: Luka Marolt in Jämtland (Sweden) and Željko Zagorac in Prostějov (Czech Republic).

ip84
01-09-2011, 10:33 AM
I put in already at the ACB topic, but for those who don't enter there:
xLx5B6zBCFE

sagenas
01-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Two more Slos abroad: Luka Marolt in Jämtland (Sweden) and Željko Zagorac in Prostějov (Czech Republic).

And Blaž Cresnar in Nevėžis (Lithuania)

rikhardur
03-31-2012, 10:00 PM
7D3Qfcl2HbQ

rikhardur
04-03-2012, 01:49 AM
Not a player, but a coach: Jure Zdovc named Eurocup coach of the year.
http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/eurocup/news/i/95880/3735

Alyosha12
09-09-2014, 04:16 PM
A very dead thread but anyway, can someone tell me how Vidmars rehab is going, and also if he injured the same knee or the other one? Also, is he still part of Fener?