PDA

View Full Version : Young Biedrins proves to be a relentless Warrior

stuart
02-24-2007, 01:05 AM
Link from USA TODAY (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2007-02-23-west-notes_x.htm)

Young Biedrins proves to be a relentless Warrior
One of the best-kept NBA secrets this season is Golden State Warriors center Andris Biedrins.

While everyone seems more enamored with the Los Angeles Lakers' young Los Angeles Lakers center Andrew Bynum, Biedrins, just 20, is having a major impact.

While playing 29.2 minutes a game, the 6-11 left-hander from Latvia ranks 15th in the NBA in rebounds (9.6), 13th in blocked shots (1.94), second in field-goal percentage (61.0) and 21st in double-doubles (17). He also averages 10.3 points a game.

"I just keep doing my job," Biedrins said.

Biedrins, who had just turned 18 when the Warriors made him the 11th pick of the first round of the 2004 draft, has been a mainstay for the up-and-down team.

"He's the man for us right now," forward Mickael Pietrus said. "He plays hard, he rebounds, he runs the floor. He has a lot of confidence."

Biedrins weighs only 240 pounds, but he holds his own inside and can be relentless on the glass. He has excellent timing which makes him a good shot blocker and has an assortment of moves close to the basket, which leads to his high shooting percentage.

"I think I fit in with the way (head coach) Don Nelson is playing and his style," Biedrins said of Nelson's up-tempo game. "I'm playing more minutes and I feel better every game. I'm more and more comfortable."

Biedrins may not be that well known by many fans yet, but the rest of the league certainly knows who he is. His name was one often mentioned in trade talks prior to Thursday's trading deadline.

"He's an exceptional player and he's young," Nelson said. "I can't believe he's doing what he's doing at 20 years old. He's stepping in and making good plays. I thought he was going to be an amazing player; I just didn't think it was going to be this year."