PDA

View Full Version : 2007 NT: Manu won't be in Las Vegas

alermac
02-23-2007, 10:22 PM
It's pretty much confirmed that Ginóbili won't play in Las Vegas' Tournament of the Americas, due to Spurs' advice. San Antonio has told him, in exchange for that, that he will be free to play in the 2008 Olympics (and the Olympic Qualifier if necessary).

So far, it's the only player who has confirmed his absence this year. Oberto, Wolkowyski and Sánchez are still in doubt; but Nocioni, Herrmann, Delfino and Scola had said long ago that they'll play.

Manu's absence leaves Delfino as the starting SG, and Paolo Quinteros (1,85 - León, Spanish LEB) as the likely substitute.

J-Mart
02-23-2007, 10:40 PM
too bad

rikhardur
02-23-2007, 10:43 PM
It's a pity the Spurs won't let him go, but it's nevertheless better to have him available for the Olympics.

Nemesis 11 (aka Sabas 11)
02-27-2007, 09:42 AM
It's a pity the Spurs won't let him go, but it's nevertheless better to have him available for the Olympics.

It's not such a pity. It's time for Delfino to step up anyway. And for another young guy to make his mark. Ginobili won't be around forever so they need to plan ahead right now.

Manu Ginobili
02-27-2007, 10:01 AM
I never liked Delfino,in fact he is on of a very small group of players whom I cant appreciate at all.He is a good player,but hes effect on the game is way to far Ginobili's(whom I realy like,as you can see from my nickname) one.
He will never have Ginobili's leadership,passion and winning spirite,so I think Manu's absence is very critical for the NT..

rikhardur
03-15-2007, 07:43 AM
Seems Nocioni might also not join the NT in the tournament.

damelo
03-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Bad stuff, but I still think they can go far wothout one or two of their star players. After, if Scola or Oberto says he won't go...

PRSURF
03-15-2007, 07:40 PM
That sound's to good for me, hahahahaaaaaaaa:D :cool:

rikhardur
04-11-2007, 06:58 AM
Herrmann won't be there as well and also Oberto. Too many absences.

alermac
04-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Herrmann won't be there as well and also Oberto. Too many absences.
And now is when i start to worry:eek:

Buducnost PG
04-11-2007, 02:04 PM
And now is when i start to worry:eek:

Always the same with the players from the NBA. Yes the NBA help them to get popular and Ginobili, Nocioni, Herman and Oberot deserv to play there, but it is definetly not the best case for the NT. If they would play in strong european clubs they would be every summer with the NT.

How many teams will qualify for the Olmpic games from the Amerika-Zone? 2 or 3? Without Gino, Anderes, Walter and Oberto Argentina will have a hard time.

rikhardur
04-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Apparently the NBA teams pressure the players not to join the NTs, they don't give a damn about NTs. I classify their (the NBA teams) attitude as completely self-centered and unsporting.

alermac
04-11-2007, 04:04 PM
How many teams will qualify for the Olmpic games from the Amerika-Zone? 2 or 3? Without Gino, Anderes, Walter and Oberto Argentina will have a hard time.
Just 2.

Now bad rumors are spreading: apparently the players don't like coach Hernández one bit, and com of them would be using the NBA as an excuse not to play.

Apparently the NBA teams pressure the players not to join the NTs, they don't give a damn about NTs. I classify their (the NBA teams) attitude as completely self-centered and unsporting.
I agree completely. What's the difference between a NBA player that makes millions and needs summer rest and a FIBA or ULEB player that makes millions and needs summer rest?

Buducnost PG
04-11-2007, 06:34 PM
Just 2.

Now bad rumors are spreading: apparently the players don't like coach Hernández one bit, and com of them would be using the NBA as an excuse not to play.

I agree completely. What's the difference between a NBA player that makes millions and needs summer rest and a FIBA or ULEB player that makes millions and needs summer rest?

Just 2 directly. Will the 3rd and 4th have a chance to play at the tournament in Peking before the Olympics and perhaps so get a ticket for the games?

I read today that Splitter and Varejo will play for Brazil. Nene likely not and Barbosa is on the bubble.

Olympic games without Argentina is something in what i couldn´t believe. The team is strong and deservs to play in Peking.

alermac
04-13-2007, 09:40 PM
Just 2 directly. Will the 3rd and 4th have a chance to play at the tournament in Peking before the Olympics and perhaps so get a ticket for the games?

I read today that Splitter and Varejo will play for Brazil. Nene likely not and Barbosa is on the bubble.

Olympic games without Argentina is something in what i couldn´t believe. The team is strong and deservs to play in Peking.
Americas will have 3 teams in the last-chance Olympic qualifier, so finishing 5th would give another shot.

PS: SF Hernán Jasen is out because of a baaaaaaaad injury. But Nocioni has now said that he's in, if he doesn't re-injury his foot and has his newNBA contract previously signed.

rikhardur
04-25-2007, 05:11 PM
ARG - Hernandez understands Manu, Herrmann withdrawals
BUENOS AIRES
(FIBA Americas Championship) - Argentina coach Sergio Hernandez understands the decision by national team veteran Manu Ginobili and emerging star Walter Herrmann to withdraw from the FIBA Americas Championship squad.

San Antonio Spurs star Ginobili Oberto and Charlotte Bobcats forward Herrmann have opted to rest during the NBA break and not take part in the tournament, which takes place in Las Vegas between August 22 and September 2.

Ginobili has enjoyed another solid season with the Spurs while Herrmann endured a frustrating spell on the bench before becoming one of the Bobcats' key figures towards the end of the regular season.

"We regret the absence of these players. We sensed that many teams of the NBA were going to ask that they not play," Herandez to Radio Del Plata.

"We have to understand their decisions because they have reasons. But, despite their withdrawal from the tournament, they will continue to be national team players."

Hernandez is also remaining cautious over the inclusion of Chicago Bulls forward Andres Nocioni, but has confirmed Detroit Pistons forward Carlos Delfino, Tau Ceramica duo Luis Scola and Pablo Prigioniand Khimki's Ruben Wolkowyski will feature in Las Vegas.

"Delfino is confirmed," added Hernandez. "Nocioni has a small injury in his foot and is in pain. I prefer to be cautious and not confirm him."
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/18876/arti.html

stuart
05-04-2007, 10:24 PM
Memo sent to all NBA teams...

Ginobili's comments may have prompted memo NEW YORK (AP) - The NBA reminded teams this week they are not allowed to discourage their players from competing in international competitions, shortly after Manu Ginobili said the Spurs did just that.

A memo dated on May 2 was sent to all NBA clubs. According to a person familiar with the document, it read: "This is a reminder that, under the NBA's agreement with FIBA, NBA teams are required to permit their players to play in certain major national-team competitions, provided that adequate insurance is obtained.

"These include the Olympics, world championships, continental championships (such as the European Championships), and relevant qualifying tournaments."

That person requested anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the memo.

Ginobili recently announced that he wouldn't play for Argentina, the defending Olympic champion, in this summer's Americas Olympic qualifier in Las Vegas. He wrote on his Web site that San Antonio requested he skip the event, saying that coach Gregg Popovich gave "rather understandable arguments."

"We told him we didn't want him to go," Popovich said on Friday after Spurs practice. "Why would we want him to go?"

Popovich, who also coaches Ginobili's Argentina teammate, Fabricio Oberto, is aware of the policy and knows ultimately it's the player's call if he wants to participate.

"We don't have any power (that's) keeping him from going. In the end it's (the player's) decision," Popovich said. "Our advice was not to go. We've got a huge investment in him.

"In Manu's case he's already won everything in the world. I think he's done his part way, way more than most others. We let him know that's how we felt."

Argentina's Walter Herrmann also was sitting out the FIBA Americas tournament, and said last month that was the preference of the Charlotte Bobcats because he was injured in September coming out of the world championship.

"The club blamed the national team and advised me not to join them and to rest for a period," he told the Spanish-language newspaper Mi Gente.

NBA teams are prohibited from banning players' participation, and the league doesn't even want teams discouraging it.

"The NBA/FIBA agreement also provides that NBA teams may not take any steps that are intended to deter players from playing in such competitions," the memo said.

rikhardur
05-09-2007, 09:39 PM
The story goes on... Delfino this time:

ARG - Delfino annoyed over failure to meet with Argentina coach Hernandez

DETROIT (FIBA Americas Championship) - Detroit Pistons guard Carlos Delfino is so miffed that Argentina coach Sergio Hernandez did not meet him on his recent visit to the United States that he is threatening not to play at the FIBA Americas Championship in Las Vegas.

Hernandez has been counting on Delfino's presence, with the NBA player a certainty to play big minutes after having to serve as a back-up in recent tournaments.

"I am in doubt," Delfino said to the Ole newspaper. "I truly don't know if I will go or not. I haven't talked to anybody yet and nobody has come here to see me.
"I haven't met anybody and I don't know what the plan is, regarding the dates, or anything. The fact that nobody has called me yet makes me doubt.

"I got married two weeks ago and I haven't had a honeymoon yet. Perhaps I take it during the dates that the pre-Olympic tournament is due to be played."

The FIBA Americas Championship are scheduled to take place between August 22 and September 2, and Delfino's possible withdrawal would pose a huge problem for Hernandez.

Hernandez and Argentinian Basketball Confederation president German Vaccaro did meet with Argentina's other players whose status had been up in the air and were told by Manu Ginobili, Fabricio Oberto and Walter Herrmann that they would not be available.

"Vaccaro came to see San Antonio play Detroit, but I think he only met Manu (Ginobili) and Fabricio (Oberto). I know that Sergio was also here and he met the other four (Ginobili, Oberto, Andres Nocioni and Walter Herrmann), but not me," said Delfino.

"I haven't seen Sergio since the World Championship in Japan (last year). He (coach) left a message on my mobile phone when I was in Dallas one night, but that was all.

"I am truly surprised because they pay more attention to the ones who don't want to go than the ones who do want to go."

Delfino said he was not angry, but just wanted to organise his life after the NBA season finished.

"I am not jealous (of the players Hernandez visited)," he continued. "I only want to know the plan, how they are organising things ahead of the championship.

"I want to play basketball every day and even more for the national team. I love it more than fishing! However, my friends always call me to go fishing and nobody from the national team called me to play.

"Maybe I will go fishing."
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/langid/1/newsid/19068/arti.html

PRSURF
05-09-2007, 11:25 PM
"Maybe he will go fishing." :D :D

alermac
05-10-2007, 06:33 AM
Delfino's is a very strange case. Vaccaro has said yesterday that himself and Hernandez called him and e-mailed him several times over these past months, but Delfino never answered. Vaccaro also said that Hernandez waited for Carlos three hours in the lobby of the hotel the Pistons were staying in, and the playere never showed up. And that they talked to his agent, who confirmed Delfino will play in Vegas.

It's hard to pick what to believe.

PRSURF
05-11-2007, 01:54 AM
Delfino's is a very strange case. Vaccaro has said yesterday that himself and Hernandez called him and e-mailed him several times over these past months, but Delfino never answered. Vaccaro also said that Hernandez waited for Carlos three hours in the lobby of the hotel the Pistons were staying in, and the playere never showed up. And that they talked to his agent, who confirmed Delfino will play in Vegas.

It's hard to pick what to believe.HAHAHA, Delfino is a liar

alermac
06-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Preliminary rosters released.

Americas' Tournament

PG
Juan Ignacio Sánchez
Pablo Prigioni
Antonio Porta
Nicolás Gianella

SG
Paolo Quinteros
Carlos Delfino

SF
Matías Sandes
Federico Kammerichs
Hernán Jasen

PF & C
Diego Lo Grippo
Leonardo Mainoldi
Juan Gutiérrez
Gabriel Fernández
Luis Scola
Román González
Rubén Wolkowyski
Leonardo Gutiérrez

Pan American Games

PG
Luis Cequeira
Raimundo Legaria
Antonio Porta
Nicolás Gianella

SG
Pablo Moldú
Mariano Byró
Diego García
Javier Bulfoni
Juan Ignacio Jasen

SF
Matías Sandes
Patricio Prato

PF & C
Andrés Pelussi
Gabriel Mikulas
Leonardo Mainoldi
Diego Lo Grippo
Martín Leiva
Damián Tintorelli
Román González

Buducnost PG
06-01-2007, 10:10 PM
@alermac

Can you say me more about Maximiliano Stojic from Pavia? I watched Pavia-Pesaro today and he had a very good game. I think he is from Argentina but has croatian roots.

alermac
06-01-2007, 10:43 PM
I think you mean Maximiliano Stanic. He's a pretty much basic PG: defense, pass-first mentality and decent shooting. Nothing special about him, but he's fine.

He played in Argentina from 1997 to 2003 (Pico FC, Ferro, Boca Jrs) and lost one Finals with Boca (2003). And I think he's never played for any NT in any category.

Jokinen
06-06-2007, 04:18 PM
If I'm not wrong Brazil won't have Nene and Leandrinho either, and like some journalist said that might be as bad for them as Ginobili, Oberto, Nocioni and Herrmann absenses are for Argentina

PRSURF
06-06-2007, 08:41 PM
This absenses for Brasil make more opportunities to other teams in the group B

Jokinen
06-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Andres Pelussi announced today that he won't join the Argentinian NT for the next PanAmerican games due to a injury in his foot

rikhardur
07-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Pepe Sánchez out as well, he doesn't feel physically fit.

asdzas
07-04-2007, 10:56 PM
If I'm not wrong Brazil won't have Nene and Leandrinho either, and like some journalist said that might be as bad for them as Ginobili, Oberto, Nocioni and Herrmann absenses are for Argentina

Nene and Leandrinho already said they want to play for Brazil in Las Vegas. Nene decided to return after four years of absence. http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/byNF/p/newsid/20056/arti.html
Leandrinho is injured but he is expected to be healthy before the start of the tournament.

Marcus Vinicius(SF 2,07) of the N.O Hornets also decided to play for the brazilian team this year. Valtinho Apolinário (1,90 PG), who is the best brazilian point guard, accepted to play for Brazil after Nene asked him to return with him.

Rafael Araújo (2,11 C) is in the USA trying to sign a contract and stay in the NBA. But he said he wants to play in Las Vegas too.

J.P Baptista (2,06 PF-C) is going to play for the brazilian team for the first time in his career. He played for Gonzaga(NCAA) last year and he plays now for the Lietuvos Rytas (Lithuania)

This is probably the first time in many years that the brazilian team will have all the players at the same time.

Here is the roster

PG

Valter Apolinário - 1,90
Marcelo Huertas - 1,91
Nezinho dos Santos - 1,87

SG

Leandro Barbosa - 1,93
Alex Garcia - 1,93
Marcelo Machado - 2,00
Jonathan dos Santos - 1,98

SF

Guilherme Giovanonni - 2,03