PDA

View Full Version : Greek NT 2016

christodoulou76
09-16-2015, 01:43 AM
Should the Greek NT rebuild in 2016 or continue with the the same group that has consistently underperformed since 2007? Should the coach be changed?

A rebuilding team would not be able to compete for medals right away, but hopefully they would become competitive in a few years.

In order to rebuild, Zisis, Bourousis, Spanoulis, Perperoglou, Kaimakoglou would have to leave the team. New additions would be: Papapetrou, Pappas, Agravanis. And in 2017-2018, we could add Charalampopoulos, Papagiannis, Bochoridis.

The early retirement from the NT of shadow-of-his-former-self Papanikolaou also needs to be seriously considered.

Potential 2016 rebuilding squad:
Calathes, Mantzaris
Sloukas, Pappas, Papapetrou
Antetokounmpo
Printezis, Agravanis
Koufos

Gaps in backup small forward and backup center will eventually be filled by Charalampopoulos and Papagiannis.

Victorious
09-16-2015, 08:39 AM
At this moment Greece simply has one of the best rosters out there. Therefore the team should stick together and make some minor adaptations. After that, give it another try next year. There's really like around 4 teams in the world that can really pose problems for Greece. Spain is one of them. With a little luck, if Greece avoids one of these teams in QF, then Greece can make the SF and play with less pressure. Consider the fact that in 2005, 2006, 2009 when Greece made at least the semi finals, they had to play teams like Russia, Slovenia, and Turkey in the QF. Teams who were clearly on a lower level compared to Spain, Argentina and even Lithuania then. Even so, they had a hard time beating them. The games were not much different than the one against Spain yesterday. So one can't take anything away from them. Yesterday was a game between two medal candidates, and one team lost. You don't change the roster because of that.

Key players should continue playing for Greece. Needless to say, Kaimakoglou and Papanikolaou were not in good shape this year and they didn't get in good shape during the tournament. But if Papanikolaou has a good season in the NBA, he needs to be part of the team. Also, I would also be open to players like Pappas and Agravanis joining the team if they make progress.

Putting young talented players on the team just for the sake of it is not going to help. Right now I don't see the younger generation being ready for this level yet. They will simply be outplayed. Greece would have lost by 20 yesterday if the strongest squad was not used.

panteluke
09-16-2015, 09:01 AM
Well, imho the problem lies in Katsikaris. I don't have any objection for Zisis, Spanoulis, Bourousis to be there next year. Let's not forget that it's going to be an olympics year, so if they want to be there (and of course they are on a certain level of ability), no one can take it from them for the sake of rebuild. As for Papanikolaou, what early retirement??? He is 23,24 years old?? OK, he might be out of form, but I suppose he can find his old self.
The most important thing for me is the coach. I don't like him, way too overestimated.

Apollo64
09-16-2015, 03:32 PM
I think Katsikaris will stay for the pre-olympic tournament, if the team fails to qualify then he's gone.

christodoulou76
09-19-2015, 11:59 AM
I think Katsikaris will stay for the pre-olympic tournament, if the team fails to qualify then he's gone.

there are some rumors about Giannakis taking over. http://www.sport-fm.gr/article/basket/skepseis-gia-giannaki-stin-ethniki/3109514

dBpanos
09-21-2015, 09:37 AM
The problem lies in Katsikaris for sure. At least right now and after this Eurobasket tournament. For me it was unacceptable how bad he managed this roster. We all know the limited rotation he chose to proceed in the QF, so there is no need to continue this conversation.

I believe that Bourousis can retain his spot in the team, as long as he remains at a top level this upcoming season. Unfortunately, we cannot rely on other Cs right now. Players like Sarikopoulos, Papagiannis, Kavvadas, are not NT material. We cannot predict how good Papagiannis will be at the future, but he does not belong in the NT squad just yet. The same applies on Agravanis, too. Of course, he is a PF and not a C, but I don't know if he could have a better impact than Kaimakoglou did this year.

Papanikolaou belongs to this team. Just because he faced two injuries that led him lose his minutes in the NBA, does not mean he forgot balling.

Papapetrou is a SF and not a SG, as you rank him in you post dear christodoulou76. On the contrary, I believe that Giankovits is more SG than Papapetrou if needed. But both are native SFs.

Potential 2016 squad:
Calathes, Mantzaris, Athinaiou
Sloukas, Pappas
Antetokounmpo, Giankovits, Papapetrou
Printezis, Agravanis
Koufos, Bourousis

Big Lebowski
09-22-2015, 04:53 AM
Finally the Black Age of Spanoulis has ended, so NT can restart with some fresh air and, possibly, with some bright players. There won't be so many changes, anyway, but the absence of Spanoulis may lead Hellas to play a different basketball. Actually, basketball: we have watched those 20 seconds of oil drilling for too many years and, at least, the hope is that not only Printezis will be able to receive a pass. Incoming season will reveal who might be part of the team at the Preolympic tournament: Lountzis and Haralampopoulos (but Papagiannis too) represent the most interesting U20 names that the country has, together with Dorsey who showed to be really interesting at Crete's WC.
From the actual national team, after the awesome news coming from Spanoulis' retirement, there are three names that are in sort of waiting list: Zisis, Mpourousis, Kaimakoglou. The first one has probably still something to give, as Mpourousis (mostly, in this case, there are not alternatives); Kaimakoglou had a bad season in Russia and a bad EB. Personally, I'd keep the center because in some way he always have above average performances with NT. I'd give a last chance to Zisis, who could be the same player he was without Spanoulis. Or, at least, not to be a negative presence. About Perperoglou, I think that his time is over, about Papanikolaou it's quite clear that he's not a basketball player anymore (but he was not a basketball player even before injuries).

The arrival of Giannakis could be quite helpful: the last Hellases were Olympiacos-centered squads. Giannakis has been awesome in removing the PAOvsOSFP battle from national team giving the keys of leadership to someone not belonging to this bipolar system: Kakiouzis was the leader, born in AEK, playing abroad. May a Hellas with some different leadership exist? Yes, it happened. So, for this reason, the occasion not to have Spanoulis anymore in the team may change this balance.
This is why I think that sort of "American oriented" team can born: Antetokounmpo (who, at least, won't have some Golden Dawn playmaking in the future), Calathes, Koufos can represent the skeleton for the next five years. This is why I strongly hope that Dorsey's freshman season will show him on court, because this guy after tomorrow may become a key element of the team (I personally adore him).

I also think that the "12 best players" team is a totally fucked up idea: Spain and Lithuania had absences but got a lot from some role-normal players. I mean, Spain was awful at WC with the full roster and excellent at EB without some "stars". Lithuania had for example that shooter (that I can never remember his name) who probably is not among 12 Lithuanian best players who gave a huge contribute. So, Hellas can learn something, from itself too: in 2009 they got a bronze medal with Kalampokis and Glyniadakis in the roster.

It's too soon to imagine who may be at Preolympic, but if I had to share my list right now, including my personal hopes about the incoming season, I'd go with:
N.Calathes, Mantzaris, Lountzis (Zisis)
Sloukas, Dorsey, Pappas
G.Antetokounmpo, Giankovits (Papapetrou)
Printezis, Agravanis
Koufos, Mpourousis (Mpogris, Papagiannis).

The return to basketball of Mpramos (Venezia, Italy) and the possibility to add a "naturalized" player opens various possibilities: Mpramos if something goes wrong with guards, Pat Calathes if something goes wrong with power forwards and - of course - the possibility to have Zach Auguste eligible in the future (if not already) also gives more options to Hellas. A nation that can finally see the end of the tunnel now, after the retirement of Spanoulis.

taybot14
09-22-2015, 01:13 PM
It's too soon to imagine who may be at Preolympic, but if I had to share my list right now, including my personal hopes about the incoming season, I'd go with:
N.Calathes, Mantzaris, Lountzis (Zisis)
Sloukas, Dorsey, Pappas
G.Antetokounmpo, Giankovits (Papapetrou)
Printezis, Agravanis
Koufos, Mpourousis (Mpogris, Papagiannis).

The return to basketball of Mpramos (Venezia, Italy) and the possibility to add a "naturalized" player opens various possibilities: Mpramos if something goes wrong with guards, Pat Calathes if something goes wrong with power forwards and - of course - the possibility to have Zach Auguste eligible in the future (if not already) also gives more options to Hellas. A nation that can finally see the end of the tunnel now, after the retirement of Spanoulis.

The dark age of spanoulis? Why being so negative, all failures are caused by him?. But anyway.
If papanikolaou was never a basketball player, then bramos and pat Calathes are basketball players??

And I don't see why you put loutzis for next year he is way far from level of even mantzaris who is smart but average player offensively.

Dorsey neither won't play next year that's obvious.

My only hopes are about Pappas and Papapetrou to come back healthy and at least at same level, they are huge offensive weapons, players with a lot of confidence it's what we were missing in NT.

Victorious
09-22-2015, 03:21 PM
Basically the Greek team next year can be the same as this year. Pappas can substitute Spanoulis and that's that. If Zisis resigns then the damage is also minimal. Sloukas, Pappas, Calathes, Mantzaris will do the job. That would leave a place open in the center position. Perhaps Agravanis or Papagiannis can take that place. Although Papagiannis is not ready yet at this level. Neither will he be ready by next year, in all probability. Bourousis is definately going to play one more summer at least.

Kaimakoglou seems to be in decline. If Agravanis develops he can win a place as a PF.

The Greek team of 2016 may seem a bit thinner, but it was packed this year so it doesn't make a difference.

MZT Skopje
09-22-2015, 04:25 PM
With out Spanulis Greece might run into problems next few years. Calathes aint the player who can win importent games such as 1/4 or 1/2 final. Do not trust him unstable. + rotation problem wil show up..
When Borus leave problems will show up at possition 5. But erven if he plays olimpics he wil be one year older next year.

Victorious
09-22-2015, 07:07 PM
Yes, indeed this are the two things which are a problem for Greece. Bourousis will be 32. Hard to say how much it will impact him. Some players will get older, while some others will get more mature. We have yet to see if the overall effect is positive or negative.

Spanoulis is a top player any way you look at it. But then again, his absence may help the team chemistry. Perhaps though, Greece will be a bit more of an underdog next year without Spanoulis. So this compensates for something. And Pappas can prove to be a good player.

I think that Greece can win KO games if they meet the right opponent. Lats year Serbia reached the finals, this year Spain won it all. In recent years, Greece was knocked out five times against Spain, once against Argentina and once against Serbia. Perhaps Greece can be somewhat more lucky. This might be more crucial than what players Greece will assemble. One way or the other, Greece can always gather great squads in basketball.

achelim niabass
09-24-2015, 09:17 AM
Katsikaris let the 3 heroes play the most important game of the tournament. Every coach would have done the same thing : you win and you loose with your leaders (Collet with Parker&Diaw this year...). So that's a fact that we had to deal with it. The problem is that they played a very bad game. Bouroussis gives the momentum to Spain every time he has been on the floor. He also ruins the mood of the team... Spanoulis has played an hero ball game.... Sorry, now he's a veteran, he knows how good are some of his teammates (he plays with them all the year...)... so, we have the answer to the summer : the Greece we saw in 2014 played better (passing game, chemestry...) and Spanoulis did not adapt his game for the team, except during the preparation games, when it doesnt matter... As usual... Greece plays, has played and will play better (in the form - I don't care about results) without him and the fact that with Zisis and Boroussis the games are so predictable.... even if Bouroussis screen is shitty, they have to give him the ball =>turnovers... This is a universal Law^^!

Bouroussis and Spanoulis are the main reasons Greece failed an other time. Zisis has played a very good basket this summer, nothing to say against. Greece has many players to replace VSpan now : Pappas of course... and Sloukas should have more leadership in offense too. That's great. Calathes (with a full year and big responsabilty with PAO... unlike the last two years) and Mantzaris (very solid, smart and usefull for this team...) give a great rotations at PG.

Even if Zisis also retires (does he really ? and Bouroussis also, really.... I read it on some websites, but not in the greek sites... could I have missed the articles ?!), it does not change anything... Guard position are full of great (to see know with responsabities on the top level) and "young" players : Calathes - Mantzaris - Sloukas - Pappas and maybe Athinaiou for the last spot...

At F position : Papanikolaou is not finished ! He has to be one of main player of the new team... The reason he has played so few minutes (despite Katsikaris' small ball lineups) is a mystery... He was very decent against Belgium for 5minutes... anyway... Jankovic is great for a rotation, and he's versatile... And lets see Papapetrou this year for the scoring.

I would like to see Adeto playing now at PF... Pap'-Jankovic and Papapetrou (or Charalambopoulos) are enough for wings. SF spot is full...
Agravanis and Charalambopoulos -maybe later -( in the next years, he could play at this place ?) have a big chance for a back-up : 5-10minutes behind Adeto in 2016.

What about Printezis... I don't see him being the veteran of the team... and with probably less minutes, will he be enough motivated ?

The C position if the main problem. Koufos played 3 good games in do or die games. It's the firt time, he's that positive with the national team. Great progress. He was focused and has been better games after games. He doesnt derserve critics I think. Too bad, he doesnt play in "offense" with Memphis during the whole year...
For 25-30min, he is ok now... and with the new generation of guards, he should have a better impact.
For the last spots : Sarikopoulos, Papagiannis and Kavvadas are the young with the most chances... We don't care, maybe some young and motivated players are better for a team chemestry than mister B.
Role players that do their job at 100% are more usefull than any player who doesnt play defense, doesnt give a fuckin' good screen (hey Billy,big B. is not Hines nor Dunston nor Hunter, don't you know... to play good p'n'roll and to save your ass in defense...), forgive his teammates in offense and ruins all the chance by his behaviour on the floor...
It would be the "black point" of the team of course the newt two years, but they can develop their game (especially Papagiannis).
For next year... Mavrokefalidis or even Sofoklis... if they have a good season and are motivated to join the team are some options we can't forget (a two years project if the team go to the Olympics (far from being certain).

Katsikaris has been a disapointment to my eyes this year... maybe he was not free (impact of Troika)... but he still has other rotations to do/try (Pap or Kaimak instead of Perpe.... and more Sloukas...) and a better game plan to execute.... At the end of the game, he seems totaly lost during the time out : Priftis and Skourtopoulos showed him some things on the tablet and spoke a lot).
If he stay one more year ok... I think it would be easier for him to coach.... If not Giannakis (despite he was not very good at a moment) is the guy in Greece... he's not stupid he knows the potential of the team, and maybe a 2-3 years project is something he can achieve much more taking a middle generation or a team with many old stars....

So, after all, for the TQO, hypothetically, I would like to see this core 8 players and then we'll see :

Calathes - Mantzaris - Athinaiou
Pappas - Sloukas
Papanikolaou - Jankovic - Papapetrou
Adetokounbo - Agravanis/Printezis
Koufos - Sarikopoulos/Kavvadas/Papagiannis - Vougioukas/Mavrokefalidis/Schortsianitis

Oh... edit... I forget my sweety sloppy sloppy Vougioukas... Keep eyes on him with Zalgiris

mchale
09-26-2015, 05:04 AM
Katsikaris let the 3 heroes play the most important game of the tournament. Every coach would have done the same thing : you win and you loose with your leaders (Collet with Parker&Diaw this year...). So that's a fact that we had to deal with it. The problem is that they played a very bad game. Bouroussis gives the momentum to Spain every time he has been on the floor. He also ruins the mood of the team... Spanoulis has played an hero ball game.... Sorry, now he's a veteran, he knows how good are some of his teammates (he plays with them all the year...)... so, we have the answer to the summer : the Greece we saw in 2014 played better (passing game, chemestry...) and Spanoulis did not adapt his game for the team, except during the preparation games, when it doesnt matter... As usual... Greece plays, has played and will play better (in the form - I don't care about results) without him and the fact that with Zisis and Boroussis the games are so predictable.... even if Bouroussis screen is shitty, they have to give him the ball =>turnovers... This is a universal Law^^!

Bouroussis and Spanoulis are the main reasons Greece failed an other time. Zisis has played a very good basket this summer, nothing to say against. Greece has many players to replace VSpan now : Pappas of course... and Sloukas should have more leadership in offense too. That's great. Calathes (with a full year and big responsabilty with PAO... unlike the last two years) and Mantzaris (very solid, smart and usefull for this team...) give a great rotations at PG.

Even if Zisis also retires (does he really ? and Bouroussis also, really.... I read it on some websites, but not in the greek sites... could I have missed the articles ?!), it does not change anything... Guard position are full of great (to see know with responsabities on the top level) and "young" players : Calathes - Mantzaris - Sloukas - Pappas and maybe Athinaiou for the last spot...

At F position : Papanikolaou is not finished ! He has to be one of main player of the new team... The reason he has played so few minutes (despite Katsikaris' small ball lineups) is a mystery... He was very decent against Belgium for 5minutes... anyway... Jankovic is great for a rotation, and he's versatile... And lets see Papapetrou this year for the scoring.

I would like to see Adeto playing now at PF... Pap'-Jankovic and Papapetrou (or Charalambopoulos) are enough for wings. SF spot is full...
Agravanis and Charalambopoulos -maybe later -( in the next years, he could play at this place ?) have a big chance for a back-up : 5-10minutes behind Adeto in 2016.

What about Printezis... I don't see him being the veteran of the team... and with probably less minutes, will he be enough motivated ?

The C position if the main problem. Koufos played 3 good games in do or die games. It's the firt time, he's that positive with the national team. Great progress. He was focused and has been better games after games. He doesnt derserve critics I think. Too bad, he doesnt play in "offense" with Memphis during the whole year...
For 25-30min, he is ok now... and with the new generation of guards, he should have a better impact.
For the last spots : Sarikopoulos, Papagiannis and Kavvadas are the young with the most chances... We don't care, maybe some young and motivated players are better for a team chemestry than mister B.
Role players that do their job at 100% are more usefull than any player who doesnt play defense, doesnt give a fuckin' good screen (hey Billy,big B. is not Hines nor Dunston nor Hunter, don't you know... to play good p'n'roll and to save your ass in defense...), forgive his teammates in offense and ruins all the chance by his behaviour on the floor...
It would be the "black point" of the team of course the newt two years, but they can develop their game (especially Papagiannis).
For next year... Mavrokefalidis or even Sofoklis... if they have a good season and are motivated to join the team are some options we can't forget (a two years project if the team go to the Olympics (far from being certain).

Katsikaris has been a disapointment to my eyes this year... maybe he was not free (impact of Troika)... but he still has other rotations to do/try (Pap or Kaimak instead of Perpe.... and more Sloukas...) and a better game plan to execute.... At the end of the game, he seems totaly lost during the time out : Priftis and Skourtopoulos showed him some things on the tablet and spoke a lot).
If he stay one more year ok... I think it would be easier for him to coach.... If not Giannakis (despite he was not very good at a moment) is the guy in Greece... he's not stupid he knows the potential of the team, and maybe a 2-3 years project is something he can achieve much more taking a middle generation or a team with many old stars....

So, after all, for the TQO, hypothetically, I would like to see this core 8 players and then we'll see :

Calathes - Mantzaris - Athinaiou
Pappas - Sloukas
Papanikolaou - Jankovic - Papapetrou
Adetokounbo - Agravanis/Printezis
Koufos - Sarikopoulos/Kavvadas/Papagiannis - Vougioukas/Mavrokefalidis/Schortsianitis

Oh... edit... I forget my sweety sloppy sloppy Vougioukas... Keep eyes on him with Zalgiris

Zisis and bourousis have not retired.

achelim niabass
09-26-2015, 01:29 PM
Ok, thank you !

Do we know more about Papanikolaou' statement during the tournament ?
Katsikaris benched him just because he judged he was not in great shape/confidence, or for some other reasons : his "future" in NBA, status in the team he does not accept ,which I highly doubt but ... ?
He was the MVP of the Greek bench and tried to motive his teammates as long as he can...
I still asking me how the hell hasn't he played (a little bit) more (Perpe' minutes for example).

Victorious
10-01-2015, 06:07 PM
It seems Katsikaris is staying for one more year. So I don't think many changes are coming. Bourousis and Zisis may also stay.
If Greece is going to do a reshuffle, it will be at the Eurobasket in 2017. For next year, one or two players will be replaced. And the team will try to find better chemistry.

Shawshank
10-05-2015, 07:50 AM
When this Greece as a team will be able to handle problems in lockeroom,you will win a medal.Kazlauskas didnt mentione names,but said its impossible to control that lockeroom,and he is very demanding coach,but our players listen with their heads down and do not argue with him and look how we perform in playoofs...

You were unlucky with playoofs draws in 2014 and 2015...But 2012 and 2013 were pathetic performances.Your medal is coming in the near future.Your team is too good not to win a medal for so many years already.But you need to fix that loockeroom,that everybody would sacrifised themselfs for the team,not for better individual stats.

Psofimis
11-18-2015, 03:32 PM
Alexandros Vezenkov became greek Citizen today and he will be playing with Greek NT from now on!
He said in the past that he would play with bulgarian NT but he probably changed his mind. Why else would he take the greek passport anyway?
Maybe a signing in a top Greek club?

We are packed with talent now. (Not that we needed Vezenkov anyway)
We just need a proper coach(Giannakis) for a proper restart...

Big Lebowski
02-09-2016, 08:04 AM
When this Greece as a team will be able to handle problems in lockeroom,you will win a medal.Kazlauskas didnt mentione names,but said its impossible to control that lockeroom,and he is very demanding coach,but our players listen with their heads down and do not argue with him and look how we perform in playoofs...

You were unlucky with playoofs draws in 2014 and 2015...But 2012 and 2013 were pathetic performances.Your medal is coming in the near future.Your team is too good not to win a medal for so many years already.But you need to fix that loockeroom,that everybody would sacrifised themselfs for the team,not for better individual stats.

It may happen without Spanoulis now: I still have in mind his absurd attitude at last Eurobasket, when he passed three (three!!!!!) times the ball to Antetokounmpo in the entire decisive game. It looks totally unbelievable that a plausible future NBA All Star isn't considered at all by his team mates and - mostly - by the so-called leader of the team.
I cannot deny that I also have some ugly doubts, in this particular case: Antetokounmpo has a dark skin, something that some still see as "unusual" in Europe, despite the big changes in current society. Something that UK and France, for example, faced long time ago. I didn't see, anyway, problems with Thierry Henry, Tony Parker, Ademola Okulaja, Ashley Cole and others. And Carlton Myers, for example, was the Italian national team leader in 90s (as Balotelli was the Italian hope in football, until the country realized how idiot and self-destructive he is).
It doesn't mean that Greece is a team built on Golden Dawn ideology but the doubt persists. Unless we are talking (hopefully?) about a stupid jealous player that cannot accept that number 1 is someone else. In this particular case, Giannis Antetokounmpo from Filathlitikos. And, yes, Spanoulis is anyway totally stupid.

Problems in Greek locker room have always been existing, mostly due to the internal battle Panathinaikos vs Olympiacos: is it a coincidence that the most successful recent years were those with the leadership in the hands of Mihalis Kakiouzis, who never played for these two sides? This was Giannakis' biggest achievement, sharing and building an internally balanced team (of course, having also Diamantidis, Papaloukas, Kakiouzis, Ntikoudis, Tsartsaris was quite helpful).

Now it's the moment to work on the same way Giannakis did, overtaking divisions between Green and Red world and exploiting the amount of talent that Greece has, putting it on court according to what players can do. Everything begins with the coach, who has "to kill" something of the recent past. Luckily, Spanoulis decided to give up, and the new generation can now walk alone. Antetokounmpo, Calathes, Agravanis, Papapetrou, Koufos (hopefully), maybe Dorsey, maybe Haralampopoulos and the other youngs have now the possibility to leave the nest and that dictatorship that didn't allow them to be completely free. Mature players, young players, baby players: this is not a Curry-Durant-James-Aldridge-Cousins team, but it might be a good team, that without a clear dominating European team in the next future, capable to obtain some interesting achievments. At least, there's the hope that the best player won't be boycotted by his team-mates...

R1ou
02-09-2016, 06:40 PM
It may happen without Spanoulis now: I still have in mind his absurd attitude at last Eurobasket, when he passed three (three!!!!!) times the ball to Antetokounmpo in the entire decisive game. It looks totally unbelievable that a plausible future NBA All Star isn't considered at all by his team mates and - mostly - by the so-called leader of the team.
I cannot deny that I also have some ugly doubts, in this particular case: Antetokounmpo has a dark skin, something that some still see as "unusual" in Europe, despite the big changes in current society. Something that UK and France, for example, faced long time ago. I didn't see, anyway, problems with Thierry Henry, Tony Parker, Ademola Okulaja, Ashley Cole and others. And Carlton Myers, for example, was the Italian national team leader in 90s (as Balotelli was the Italian hope in football, until the country realized how idiot and self-destructive he is).
It doesn't mean that Greece is a team built on Golden Dawn ideology but the doubt persists. Unless we are talking (hopefully?) about a stupid jealous player that cannot accept that number 1 is someone else. In this particular case, Giannis Antetokounmpo from Filathlitikos. And, yes, Spanoulis is anyway totally stupid.

Problems in Greek locker room have always been existing, mostly due to the internal battle Panathinaikos vs Olympiacos: is it a coincidence that the most successful recent years were those with the leadership in the hands of Mihalis Kakiouzis, who never played for these two sides? This was Giannakis' biggest achievement, sharing and building an internally balanced team (of course, having also Diamantidis, Papaloukas, Kakiouzis, Ntikoudis, Tsartsaris was quite helpful).

Now it's the moment to work on the same way Giannakis did, overtaking divisions between Green and Red world and exploiting the amount of talent that Greece has, putting it on court according to what players can do. Everything begins with the coach, who has "to kill" something of the recent past. Luckily, Spanoulis decided to give up, and the new generation can now walk alone. Antetokounmpo, Calathes, Agravanis, Papapetrou, Koufos (hopefully), maybe Dorsey, maybe Haralampopoulos and the other youngs have now the possibility to leave the nest and that dictatorship that didn't allow them to be completely free. Mature players, young players, baby players: this is not a Curry-Durant-James-Aldridge-Cousins team, but it might be a good team, that without a clear dominating European team in the next future, capable to obtain some interesting achievments. At least, there's the hope that the best player won't be boycotted by his team-mates...

Man,what the hell ? At least half you the players you mention for the re-building process abstain a lot from what the team needs.Agravanis' playing time and output have both been reduced rapidly if we suppose that last season was something near to mediocre.Pappas and Jankovic will remain are etenral talents.No progress for anybody if we consider in how many things PAO relies on them,both have lost on the rotation,maybe Pappas made a decent effort last year but several injuries kept him back.Also,a re-building proccess CAN'T be done before a OQT,that will be very unfair for the elders of the team.In the next Eurobasket yes,at it does not matter so much after the FIBA'S changes in the system so every powerhouse will give the opportunity at the youngsters to develop through a competitive tournament..

We got,you are a PAO fan and you dislike Spanoulis for plenty of reason(however i can imagine the most important one).Although it's at least disrespectful to criticize him for the NT's failures.Where was Diamantidis when we really needed him?

Victorious
02-27-2016, 09:58 AM
Does anyone think that Fotsis should be part of the Greek NT team for one more summer? I think Printezis, Fotsis is the best line up for Greece at the moment. And I have the feeling that Fotsis would have been very essential in a tight game like the one against Spain last summer. Much more than Kaimakoglou who was very much in-existent. I do like Papapetrou as well, but Fotsis can offer more at this stage.

Italian Pride
02-27-2016, 08:03 PM
In your opinion Spanoulis,Zisis and Bouroussis will play next summer?

They announced the retirement but i think they will play last time with NT!

R1ou
02-28-2016, 05:08 PM
In your opinion Spanoulis,Zisis and Bouroussis will play next summer?

They announced the retirement but i think they will play last time with NT!

Spanoulis is surely out,the other two have almost changed their mind in some recent interview, however I am not so positive about Bourousis as he claimed that he will search for some NBA offers this year,because last year he didn't have the chance due to Eurobasket

Oly_fan
03-07-2016, 05:56 AM
Antetokounmpo has been mostly playing as a point guard lately and he's absolutely killing it. If you disregard his height, it's pretty clear that this is the position that most suits his talents.
The only reason to stick him at the 4 is because he's tall.

This gives many interesting options in Greece. Maybe have a transition-focused 5 with on the ball pressure. Or have Perperoglou-Bourousis at the 4 and 5 in order to spread the floor as much as possible and give space to Giannis for drives (Perperoglou could then defend the 3 so we don't have a mismatch) etc.

Generally, all we need is imagination.

R1ou
03-07-2016, 04:15 PM
Antetokounmpo has been mostly playing as a point guard lately and he's absolutely killing it. If you disregard his height, it's pretty clear that this is the position that most suits his talents.
The only reason to stick him at the 4 is because he's tall.

This gives many interesting options in Greece. Maybe have a transition-focused 5 with on the ball pressure. Or have Perperoglou-Bourousis at the 4 and 5 in order to spread the floor as much as possible and give space to Giannis for drives (Perperoglou could then defend the 3 so we don't have a mismatch) etc.

Generally, all we need is imagination.

After Kobe's statement about his jumper,that he needs to spend at least one a summer in the off-season,I actually think that he might skip the OQT,despite I know how badly he wants to play in the NT.

jorje
03-25-2016, 03:34 PM
C Koufos -Bourousis
PF Printezis-Papapetrou
SF Antetokounmpo G.-Papanikolaou-Perperoglou
SG Zisis -Dorsey
PG Calathes-Sloukas-Mantzaris

This is my pick for 2016

But there are multiple players that may come into play in the future

C Papagiannis-Kavvadas-Agravanis
PF Charalampopoulos-Mitoglou K.
SF Jankovic-Antetokounmpo Th.-Kaselakis
SG Larentzakis-Pappas-Saloustros-Christodoulou
PG Gikas

serbianhoops
03-26-2016, 08:25 PM
Notre Dame Irish 6'10" senior PF Zachary Elias Auguste deserves to be taken into consideration. His mother Lea is of Greek heritage through her grandfather Louis, who immigrated to the U.S. from Agia Sotira, Greece in 1949. Moreover, Zach Auguste stated that he speaks Greek fluently and he is active as a member of the St. Anargyroi Greek Orthodox Church in Marlborough near Boston.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Zach-Auguste-58763/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7opeDm-RNDM

Oly_fan
05-23-2016, 04:12 PM
Zisis to announce he retires from the national team, he won't play this summer.:(

Ador Cruzado
05-24-2016, 02:19 AM
Notre Dame Irish 6'10" senior PF Zachary Elias Auguste deserves to be taken into consideration. His mother Lea is of Greek heritage through her grandfather Louis, who immigrated to the U.S. from Agia Sotira, Greece in 1949. Moreover, Zach Auguste stated that he speaks Greek fluently and he is active as a member of the St. Anargyroi Greek Orthodox Church in Marlborough near Boston.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Zach-Auguste-58763/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7opeDm-RNDM

but did he get a greek passport before turning 16 years old? FIBA rules states that any player claiming to be a citizen of a country must present passport before turning 16 years old.
Even if your country's law states that your player is a citizen by birth, FIBA only recognize the passport before turning 16.
There are some players who were pure citizens and were only born outside of their country(mother was travelling/working outside when she gave birth) and is not recognized by fiba as a citizen of that country.

arianinos
05-24-2016, 09:16 PM
but did he get a greek passport before turning 16 years old? FIBA rules states that any player claiming to be a citizen of a country must present passport before turning 16 years old.
Even if your country's law states that your player is a citizen by birth, FIBA only recognize the passport before turning 16.
There are some players who were pure citizens and were only born outside of their country(mother was travelling/working outside when she gave birth) and is not recognized by fiba as a citizen of that country.

Actually the passport before 16 thing I have only seen this happen in Phillipines I don't know if it is that we have different laws here than the phillipines regarding citizenship but it probably has something to do with it because this passport thing doesn't apply to any of our Greek - Americans, they all play in the National Team with no problem. This wasn't an issue with Calathes, Koufos, Bramos, Tyler Dorsey played last year for the U19 team and will probably play this year for the men's team, Zach is also a possibility and another young kid Nick Mantis will play for the U18 this year. All of them are second, third and the last kid Mantis must be fourth generation Greek - American. I am certain that none of them had a Greek passport before they were 16 as all of them were discovered after the age of 16. Koufos for example got his citizenship and passport when he was 18 and Mantis is close or over 17 now.

Victorious
05-25-2016, 08:13 PM
So after Zisis retirement, the Greek national team without Papaloukas, Diamantidis, Spanoulis, Zisis is now officially over. Probably one of the best guard line ups international basketball ever had to offer. BTW, Bourousis was on the team of 2005, but he was practically irrelevant. So I don't count him in. And it's essential that he continues. The funny thing is that DD, Span, Zisis are all three still in action. The three of them would be a great line up. That said, all perhaps just as well. Greece can turn the page and see where it's at. Start all over again and get all these early retirements out of the way, sothat we can build a new team.

The new roster should be something like:

Bourousis, Koufos, [Bogris], [Auguste]
Printezis, Papapetrou
Perperoglou, Papanikolaou
Sloukas, Pappas,
Antetokoumpo, Calathes, Matzaris,

Yes, that's right. With Antetokoumpo as a PG Greece has a very unpredictable guard line up. Almost no one in Europe can guard him.
Perperoglou and Papanikolaou can handle the SF position nicely. Antetokoumpo can play at SF or even at PF if necessary. Fotsis is in better shape that Kaimakoglou and should be invited once more if Printezis decides to rest. If not, then Printezis and Papapetrou looks quite solid. I have the feeling that Pappas can offer something special in this line up too. A third center should be an option. Auguste or Bogris need to gain some experience for the future. Dorsey is not ready for the senior NT yet. Not even close. But he can be called for the preliminary roster. As will Thanasis Antetokoumpo.

I see a roster which is solid on all positions. A very dangerous and unpredictable team. It's hard to say though if they can glue for a short tournament like the pre-Olympics. Beating Italy on their soil could turn out to be quite hard. But for a long tournament the prospect for me looks exciting.

R1ou
05-25-2016, 09:46 PM
So after Zisis retirement, the Greek national team without Papaloukas, Diamantidis, Spanoulis, Zisis is now officially over. Probably one of the best guard line ups international basketball ever had to offer. BTW, Bourousis was on the team of 2005, but he was practically irrelevant. So I don't count him in. And it's essential that he continues. The funny thing is that DD, Span, Zisis are all three still in action. The three of them would be a great line up. That said, all perhaps just as well. Greece can turn the page and see where it's at. Start all over again and get all these early retirements out of the way, sothat we can build a new team.

The new roster should be something like:

Bourousis, Koufos, [Bogris], [Auguste]
Printezis, Papapetrou
Perperoglou, Papanikolaou
Sloukas, Pappas,
Antetokoumpo, Calathes, Matzaris,

Yes, that's right. With Antetokoumpo as a PG Greece has a very unpredictable guard line up. Almost no one in Europe can guard him.
Perperoglou and Papanikolaou can handle the SF position nicely. Antetokoumpo can play at SF or even at PF if necessary. Fotsis is in better shape that Kaimakoglou and should be invited once more if Printezis decides to rest. If not, then Printezis and Papapetrou looks quite solid. I have the feeling that Pappas can offer something special in this line up too. A third center should be an option. Auguste or Bogris need to gain some experience for the future. Dorsey is not ready for the senior NT yet. Not even close. But he can be called for the preliminary roster. As will Thanasis Antetokoumpo.

I see a roster which is solid on all positions. A very dangerous and unpredictable team. It's hard to say though if they can glue for a short tournament like the pre-Olympics. Beating Italy on their soil could turn out to be quite hard. But for a long tournament the prospect for me looks exciting.

I only worry about Pappas call,as his relationships with Coach Katsikaris are far from good.Although I agree that he needs to make the call,I can see this to turn out during the tournament in a possible failure.He will lose the locker room that way.

My roster is pretty similar to yours.I imagine something like this;

Calathes,Mantzaris
Sloukas,Pappas
Antetokounmpo/Perperoglou/Papanikolaou
Printezis/Papapetrou/Fotsis(?)
Bourousis/Koufos

Gentile and Gallinari come from sever injuries,Bargnani and Bellineli had quite bad seasons.We don't have to fear them.Same goes for Croatia.Two teams with way many talent/potential and very dangerous of you underestimate them,but with chemistry problems and weak benches.Imo if there's a team to "fear" that Italy.We have a very experienced squad with most of our players coming from a productive year.Sloukas had a very good season with Fenerbahce,Antetokounnpo had a break-our year with the Bucks,Bourousis and Printezis exploded,Koufos with some decent stats with Kings,Papanikolaou and Pappas take solid minutes in the most important part of they year,Papapetrou played his first full season without injuries,Perperoglou had a quite good season with Barcelona and Calathes won't have to take a many shots.On the other hand Mantzaris is a bit out of shape,and Fotsis is 35.That's not a problem tho,as both seem to be bench warmers there,wood enough players to be 11th and 12th options.I'm extremely optimistic as you see :D

Italian Pride
05-26-2016, 02:44 PM
You have the better defensive team in Turin,great perimeter defensive players,maybe the best player of the tournament together with Gallo,more experienced players than us,but i disagree on the "weak bench" about Italy because this year we could have a very deep bench with Gentile,Melli,Hackett,Aradori /Della Valle,Pascolo,...

R1ou
05-26-2016, 02:53 PM
You have the better defensive team in Turin,great perimeter defensive players,maybe the best player of the tournament together with Gallo,more experienced players than us,but i disagree on the "weak bench" about Italy because this year we could have a very deep bench with Gentile,Melli,Hackett,Aradori /Della Valle,Pascolo,...

Yes I wanted to edit it when I remembered accidentally some of your role players but I was really bored that time :D

Oly_fan
05-26-2016, 06:43 PM
Charalampopoulos and Papagiannis should be called for the camp. Charalampopoulos might make the team.

I don't think Printezis will make it.

R1ou
05-26-2016, 06:48 PM
He has to.Papanikoalou seems to be completely out of form.

Oly_fan
05-26-2016, 06:53 PM
He has to.Papanikoalou seems to be completely out of form.

You mean Charalampopoulos? I agree he's the better choice now.

If Printezis tore his plantar fascia -and it seemed like he was signalling the bench he did- then he's out for the summer.

R1ou
05-26-2016, 07:28 PM
You mean Charalampopoulos? I agree he's the better choice now.

If Printezis tore his plantar fascia -and it seemed like he was signalling the bench he did- then he's out for the summer.

Yes that's what I was reading now.Printezis will miss even the Olympics if we qualify.

Victorious
05-26-2016, 08:08 PM
Actually without Printezis this changes everything. Charalampopoulos and Papapetrou are far too inexperienced. When looking at Charalampopoulos, his body has matured significantly this year. But it's still too soon. Too bad that this is a pre-olympic tournament and Greece has to play a KO against teams such as Italy. Otherwise, a tournament like Eurobasket would be a great build up.
I am not saying we can't beat Italy though. There are some upsides. Spanoulis presence last year may have hurt Greece's chemistry. And players such as Kaimakoglou and Papanikolaou were in extremely poor shape. So, not sure if Greece will be much weaker with Spanoulis and Zisis not being part of the team. But if Printezis is out as well, then this can bring Greece down one notch.

R1ou
05-26-2016, 10:30 PM
Actually without Printezis this changes everything. Charalampopoulos and Papapetrou are far too inexperienced. When looking at Charalampopoulos, his body has matured significantly this year. But it's still too soon. Too bad that this is a pre-olympic tournament and Greece has to play a KO against teams such as Italy. Otherwise, a tournament like Eurobasket would be a great build up.
I am not saying we can't beat Italy though. There are some upsides. Spanoulis presence last year may have hurt Greece's chemistry. And players such as Kaimakoglou and Papanikolaou were in extremely poor shape. So, not sure if Greece will be much weaker with Spanoulis and Zisis not being part of the team. But if Printezis is out as well, then this can bring Greece down one notch.

Printezis is surely out of the next games in the Greek Finals.From what I have read it'snot site of he miss the Olympics or the OQT but there are high possibilities to.Still,I have faith in what team is able to do even without our most consistent player.If eventually Printezis set himself out,I think we will go with something like this

Calathes-Mantzaris
Sloukas/Thanasis Antetokounmpo(?),Pappas(?)
Perperoglou/Papanikolaou/Charalampopoulos
Antetokounmpo/Papapetrou
Bourousis/Koufos

Oly_fan
05-27-2016, 12:46 AM

Charalampopoulos has played many KO games and he shows in this series he's not one to get afraid. If he gets called in the camp and he's good in the preparation games, then why not?

R1ou
05-27-2016, 10:36 AM
Update about Printezis.Firstly,he is out for healing the next 10 days,so he has little possibilities to play some minutes at the 5th match(If needed).IMO Katsikaris has to let him out for resting.Any call should be dangerous for the rest of his carrer.

soulis79
05-27-2016, 01:57 PM
This is probably Katsikaris last tournament. So he will try to recruit the best possible roster. I can't see too many inexperienced players in the squad e.g. Charalambopoulos, Papagiannis,Papapetrou or Thanasis. Maybe one or two.

I think Kaimakoglou and Vougioukas are in the mix, especially after Printezis injury. The preparation will start approximately 12-14 of June, so some players can't join from the start e.g. Bourousis, Perperoglou(if he receives a call).

So i think Calathes, Sloukas(has injury problems), Mantzaris, Dorsey, Pappas(he can choose Cyprus national team), Mantzaris(he is in very bad condition)willl serve as the backcourt.

Papanikolaou, Giannis, Perperoglou(i don't think so), and Papapetrou will be our Forwards/Wings.

Bourousis, Koufos, Bogris, Kaimakoglou ,Agravanis and Mitoglou will be our Frontcourt players.

There is a little chance to see Thanasis, Vasileiadis, Vougioukas, Sarikopoulos and Auguste as call-ups.

Victorious
05-28-2016, 08:42 AM
Charalampopoulos has played many KO games and he shows in this series he's not one to get afraid. If he gets called in the camp and he's good in the preparation games, then why not?

He simply hasn't proven that he can play for the NT yet. He is not even at the level of Fotsis or Kaimakoglou who are clearly past their prime. And he is not even close to Printezis. So that would make Greece considerably weaker.

Yes,he had some good KO games in the Greek finals, but overall no experience at this level. That should change starting next year though.

This is probably Katsikaris last tournament. So he will try to recruit the best possible roster. I can't see too many inexperienced players in the squad e.g. Charalambopoulos, Papagiannis,Papapetrou or Thanasis. Maybe one or two.

I think Kaimakoglou and Vougioukas are in the mix, especially after Printezis injury. The preparation will start approximately 12-14 of June, so some players can't join from the start e.g. Bourousis, Perperoglou(if he receives a call).

So i think Calathes, Sloukas(has injury problems), Mantzaris, Dorsey, Pappas(he can choose Cyprus national team), Mantzaris(he is in very bad condition)willl serve as the backcourt.

Papanikolaou, Giannis, Perperoglou(i don't think so), and Papapetrou will be our Forwards/Wings.

Bourousis, Koufos, Bogris, Kaimakoglou ,Agravanis and Mitoglou will be our Frontcourt players.

There is a little chance to see Thanasis, Vasileiadis, Vougioukas, Sarikopoulos and Auguste as call-ups.

Katsikaris will try to change as few players as possible compared to last years' roster. Because new players need time to glue. And the preparation phase is too short for that.

R1ou
05-28-2016, 09:53 AM
But Kaimakoglou and Fotsis can be only utilized as stretch-4s at this moment,while we overloaded at the SF position.Charalampopoulos seems to have high IQ and can easily stick with a team.He is not either the type of player that will fuck up the locker room,he has not that ego.He carried the team in a whole tournament last year,so why he can't be 10th or 11th player?He will provide more than Fotsis or Kaimakoglou who at this point can't penetrate,neither run the court.Also I will not consider Printezis out until I will hear it from him.He has played the past two season with injury problems but still was our best and most consistent player,and now we speak about NT.He is not any youngster who would skip the Olympics due to his contract or because he wants to concentrate to his club.

Oly_fan
05-28-2016, 01:01 PM
Charalampopoulos is better than Fotsis offensively. He shoots just as well + drives + posts + creates for others. Fotsis couldn't do most of these things even when he was younger.

Antetokounmpo can play point in offence and power forward in defence so it would make sense to use along with him a small 4 that will guard 3s.
Perperoglou could do it, Papapetrou is an option, Charalampopoulos is another one, Kaimakoglou too even though he hasn't played sf in years. Fotsis definitely can't.
I'd take Charalampopoulos simply as the next big project of greek basketball.

CoachZ
05-28-2016, 02:29 PM
I think it's a good practice that you take extremely talented youngsters (even if they don't have a lot experience) as 11th and 12th player on the roster (or just one). Even if you might have better senior players with a lot of experience. In general in NT you know the rotation and who will use the minutes in which way, so those 2 or 1 guy in general are not the gameplan anywhere. They will get the experience, learn the NT system, and if the team is having a terrible tournament they might get a lot of minutes, or if you are blowing people out it's the same. This is a common practice for example for Ex-Yugo NT selections always. A spot or two was always reserved for supreme talents, even though there were so many seasoned pros that were better players at that time.

I think Djordjevic did a huge disservice to Charalampopoulos and didn't give him a chance and this is a wasted year for him. That's a huge pity. He is a Nemanja Bjelica copy (with more power at his age than Bjelica) and he should be given playing time and will be a real point-forward in the future.

soulis79
05-31-2016, 02:03 PM
Printezis interviewed in olympiacos.tv, saying he now needs rest. He mentioned that word four-five times. That sound like an official withdrawal from this year tournament. :(

Italian Pride
06-02-2016, 06:11 PM
When you start the training camp?

R1ou
06-02-2016, 06:22 PM
When you start the training camp?

We have zero information,honestly.

mojo13
06-02-2016, 10:54 PM
We have zero information,honestly.

In another board there is speculation as follows:

It looks like almost all of Greece's leaders and main players won't play.

Vassilis Spanoulis, Nikos Zisis, Georgios Printezis are all out, and Ioannis Bourousis has said he will not play if he gets an NBA contract, which he is seeking.

Giannis Antetokounmpo says he will only play if the Bucks give permission, and evidently, as of yet they have not. But he claims he keeps begging them to let him play.

Also, Nikos Pappas, who would be a likely guy in Greece's team, since Spanoulis and Zisis are not playing, said recently he wants to switch from Greece's national team and play with Cyprus instead. So that would be another guy not playing apparently.

Greece's 5 best players overall are Zisis and Spanoulis (guards), G. Antetokounmpo and Printezis (forwards), and Ioannis Bourousis (center). And they are also each Greece's best player individually at each one of the 5 positions that they play at. And it looks like all 5 of them might not play.
http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=5&p=47643345#p47643345

Mindozas
06-03-2016, 05:14 AM

This guy Mirotic12 reminds me of the well known Greek troll here on IBN "Vasileios Spanoulis 666", "Euroleague" and dozen of other nicks he had here :) he used to pretend to be a big insider, wrote imaginary stuff about EL players contracts details, long posts full of nothing and etc. I don't know if that's the same guy, but if he is, I wouldn't take any of his words for granted, even tho it's already known for some time that Zisis, Spanoulis are out, Printezis is questionable

R1ou
06-03-2016, 06:21 AM

Bourousis is in.He said it one or two months ago that this will be his last year with th NT. Also,there is not the single chance for Pappas to play for Cyprus since he has already played with the Greek NT back at 2010.Antetokounmpo,if he wants to play I bet he will.Its not a Eurobakset or a World cup.When it comes to Olympics,you can prevent for an athlete to compete it.On the other hand,yes Printezis is questionablewith small chances to play.

JGX
06-04-2016, 06:02 AM
This guy Mirotic12 reminds me of the well known Greek troll here on IBN "Vasileios Spanoulis 666", "Euroleague" and dozen of other nicks he had here :) he used to pretend to be a big insider, wrote imaginary stuff about EL players contracts details, long posts full of nothing and etc. I don't know if that's the same guy, but if he is, I wouldn't take any of his words for granted, even tho it's already known for some time that Zisis, Spanoulis are out, Printezis is questionable

Definitely the same guy--still doesn't understand that posting 3,000-word essays is the opposite of successful trolling.

Victorious
06-04-2016, 12:24 PM
Given that Spanoulis and Zisis have retired. Only Printezis is in doubt for playing for the NT.

R1ou
06-04-2016, 02:02 PM
Given that Spanoulis and Zisis have retired. Only Printezis is in doubt for playing for the NT.

Printezis officially withdrew.

Oly_fan
06-04-2016, 03:08 PM
When did Pappas say he wants to play for Cyprus or when did Bourousis say he wants to play for the last time this season?
The only actual news I know is that Zisis retired and that Printezis withdrew because of injury.
Did I miss something?

Still, it's great that with the tournament only a month away, we don't even have a preliminary roster, let alone a preparation schedule.

R1ou
06-04-2016, 06:56 PM
When did Pappas say he wants to play for Cyprus or when did Bourousis say he wants to play for the last time this season?
The only actual news I know is that Zisis retired and that Printezis withdrew because of injury.
Did I miss something?

Still, it's great that with the tournament only a month away, we don't even have a preliminary roster, let alone a preparation schedule.

We have closed the annual friendlies with Turkey and one with Serbia late at June.

EverGreen
06-06-2016, 11:44 AM
16 for Greece

Nick Calathes 07.02.1998 1.98 γκαρντ Παναθηναϊκός
Kostas Sloukas 15.01.1990 1.90 γκαρντ Φενέρμπαχτσε Ούλκερ
Vagelis Mantzaris 16.04.1990 1.95 γκαρντ Ολυμπιακός
Tyler Dorsey 14.02.1996 1.93 γκαρντ Όρεγκον (NCAA)
Giannis Athineou 17.05.1988 1.94 γκαρντ Ολυμπιακός
Thanasis Adetokounbo 17.07.1992 2.01 φόργουορντ –
Ioannis Papapetrou 30.03.1994 2.06 φόργουορντ Ολυμπιακός
Vasilis Charalambopoulos 06.01.1997 2.02 φόργουορντ Παναθηναϊκός
Kostas Papanikolaou 31.07.1990 2.05 φόργουορντ Ολυμπιακός
Dimitris Agravanis 20.12.1995 2.08 φόργουορντ Ολυμπιακός
Kostas Koufos 2402.1989 2.13 σέντερ Σακραμέντο Κινγκς
Giannis Bourousis 17.11.1983 2.13 σέντερ Λαμποράλ Κούτσα
Giorgos Bogris 19.02.1989 2.10 σέντερ Ντομίνιον Μπιλμπάο Μπάσκετ
Vasilis Kavvadas 28.12.1991 2.05 σέντερ Αρκαδικός
Giannis Adetokounbo 06.12.1994 2.11 φόργουορντ Μιλγουόκι Μπακς
Stratos Perperoglou 07.08.1984 2.03 φόργουορντ Μπαρτσελόνα.

Idiot Katsikaris. Chose Athineou who is 13th player for Oly but not Pappas.

R1ou
06-06-2016, 11:59 AM
16 for Greece

Thanasis Adetokounbo 17.07.1992 2.01 φόργουορντ –

Since they have bad relationships,which is not something new for Pappas as every other coach of him had set him out of team,don't expect him to bring problematic characters like him who are going to fuck up the locker rooms.Apart from this,his iso playstyle does not suit with the team's philosophy so if he even had called him in the preliminary roster,he would either be out of the final 12,or the 12th player.And a character like him,does not want to be 12th player.Anyway this is probably the last tournament of Katsikaris unless we advance at the Olympics and do some great stuff there,so for the next year Pappas will be in.

EverGreen
06-06-2016, 12:05 PM
You may have a point.

I disagree with Kaimakoglou not being invited but inviting Thanasis who has never played professional basketball and Agravanis who is a scrub where no one really knows what's his best position.

In addition, Kavadas the lumberjack instead of Vougioukas who had a great season with Zalgiris?

I'm suprised he didnt invite Tsairelis ;)

Oly_fan
06-06-2016, 12:20 PM
Katsikaris is being unprofessional himself by not calling up Pappas.

EverGreen
06-06-2016, 12:31 PM

Any way what is done is done. He has 3 guards. Calathis, Sloukas and Mantzaris. Who will be the 4th guard? a kid that is still too green to play against the best in the world (provided we qualify) or Athinaiou who played 5 mins for Oly several months ago? Unless he intends to play GA as a point guard. Last year he killed Mantzaris morale by only playing him 2 mins a game.

I'm in the difficult position where I want Katsikaris to fail but the NT to succeed...

Italian Pride
06-06-2016, 12:34 PM
Mantzairs,Sloukas,Calathes,Perperoglu,Papanikolau, Papapetrou,Giannis,Bouroussis and Koufous are locked,right?

EverGreen
06-06-2016, 12:40 PM
Mantzairs,Sloukas,Calathes,Perperoglu,Papanikolau, Papapetrou,Giannis,Bouroussis and Koufous are locked,right?

Cant be sure for Koufos but I assume so. They would have talked before calling him up. The others baring injury, yes.

We still dont know what will happen with G.A and Milwakee because they want him to train in the US this summer.

I think the Katsikaris will set the team around GA. If he doesnt join the NT then not inviting Pappas who is the only guard who is an aggressive attacker will blow up in Katsikaris' face. Remember, no Zisis and no Spanoulis from now on.

R1ou
06-06-2016, 12:40 PM

No.He is being an absolute professional by not letting the team to depend on a player-whoever is him-.Serbia,did the same with Micov two years ago,despite he was one of the best players in that team.Turkey too,with Kanter for consecutive years.Never again I remember a coach who has self-respect,in a team which have the team spirit as a characteristic in the last 10 years,called a player that has created inside problems and has insulted the coach because he cut him down from the final roster.No-one will ever put a national team under a player.

Italian Pride
06-06-2016, 01:02 PM
Cant be sure for Koufos but I assume so. They would have talked before calling him up. The others baring injury, yes.

We still dont know what will happen with G.A and Milwakee because they want him to train in the US this summer.

I think the Katsikaris will set the team around GA. If he doesnt join the NT then not inviting Pappas who is the only guard who is an aggressive attacker will blow up in Katsikaris' face. Remember, no Zisis and no Spanoulis from now on.
Why Koufous don't sure?

I hate the Nba teams that don't provide the authorization to their player to play with his NT in OQT and maybe Olympic games!

This is absolutely insane!

R1ou
06-06-2016, 01:14 PM
Why Koufous don't sure?

I hate the Nba teams that don't provide the authorization to their player to play with his NT in OQT and maybe Olympic games!

Imo he is locked.He had a 4 year deal with Sacramento last year so he doesn't have contract problems.He is not injured,so I honestly can't find a single reason to leave him out,despite coach decides that we can go ahead with Bogris or Kavvadas. :D

Victorious
06-06-2016, 05:05 PM
16 for Greece

Thanasis Adetokounbo 17.07.1992 2.01 φόργουορντ

Dorsey over Pappas. I can only imagine that he is one of the players who are going to be cut after having a taste of the Greek NT in the preparation phase. Thanassis Antetokoumpo has never proven himself in the NBA or EL. He simply doesn't have the experience.

In all, Katsikaris sucks. Looks like he's going to be a failure. I hope they kick him out never to return for the Greek NT.

mojo13
06-06-2016, 06:58 PM
Why Koufous don't sure?

Why is this insane? The Kings are paying Koufous $8.5M dollars a year and you don't think they should be able to tell him what to do? What is Greece paying him?

What if your employer paid you $8.5M a year and didn't want you to work for someone else (for free) in your off time because they felt it was dangerous. Would you listen? I think we are lucky we get any highly paid professional players in these competitions.

The Olympics are a sham...the IOC uses trumped up nationalism to allow a global organization to profit from free labor and most of the world buys into it.

ncjazz
06-06-2016, 07:23 PM
Why is this insane? The Kings are paying Koufous $8.5M dollars a year and you don't think they should be able to tell him what to do? What is Greece paying him?

What if your employer paid you $8.5M a year and didn't want you to work for someone else (for free) in your off time because they felt it was dangerous. Would you listen? I think we are lucky we get any highly paid professional players in these competitions.

The Olympics are a sham...the IOC uses trumped up nationalism to allow a global organization to profit from free labor and most of the world buys into it.

We are just talking about basketball correct?

R1ou
06-06-2016, 07:37 PM

So let's delete every national team competition in order to promote that ugly product aka NBA,to make fans like you happy.

Oly_fan
06-06-2016, 07:46 PM

Meanwhile there are footballers getting paid even more that won't miss the world cup for anything other than a deep coma.

Things like that are what cheapen basketball and make it an afterthought in most countries.

Steadysoul
06-07-2016, 02:49 AM
Meanwhile there are footballers getting paid even more that won't miss the world cup for anything other than a deep coma.

Things like that are what cheapen basketball and make it an afterthought in most countries.

Well FIFA has a stranglehold on soccer. FIBA does not have the same on Basketball because the NBA operates independently. Still NBA teams can only deny if a player is injured or recently injured. Beyond that the teams aren't allowed to interfere. So if he is shakey....it's because he's not sure.

EverGreen
06-07-2016, 05:44 AM

No, mate.

What is a sham is the NBA raping European basketball of its best players with $500.000 buy out clauses when they earn millions.

R1ou
06-09-2016, 09:49 AM
Today Bucks gonna decide if Giannis will play with Greece.They would better let him otherwise au revoir :D

R1ou
06-09-2016, 10:42 AM
BREAKING:Papanikolaou to miss the tournamet due to injury.

Oly_fan
06-09-2016, 10:42 AM
Papanikolaou out with injury too.

Oly_fan
06-09-2016, 10:43 AM
BREAKING:Papanikolaou to miss the tournamet due to injury.Can Coach replace him with Pappas?

They write we'll carry on with 15 players.

R1ou
06-09-2016, 11:07 AM
They write we'll carry on with 15 players.

Yes just read it.Now 8+1 players are locked.

*Giannis
Calathes
Mantzaris
Sloukas
Perperouglou
Papapetrou
Koufos
Bourousis
Charalampopoulos

The other 3 will be between Athinaiou,Th.Antetokounmpo,Bogris,Agravanis,Kavvad as,Dorsey

Kavvadas and Athinaou are out.Dorsey has chances to make the roster since he is going to help a lot with his penetrations.Agravanis for stretch-4 or he can be utilized at C for small ball occasions.And finally between Thanasis and Bogris I would personally go with Thanasis.He can bring a lot of energy which is gonna be needed especially with Italy,and we can also use him to lock-down Belinelli.Bogris can't help since both Italy and Croatia will play outside the rim,so it will be quite useless to have 3+1 Centers against those teams.

Otherwise both gonna join if Bucks prevent Giannis to play.Update on afternoon.

soulis79
06-09-2016, 01:08 PM
Yes just read it.Now 8+1 players are locked.

*Giannis
Calathes
Mantzaris
Sloukas
Perperouglou
Papapetrou
Koufos
Bourousis
Charalampopoulos

Definitely Charalampopoulos is in question.

After Paps inury, Agravanis raised his chances for the final squad. Dorsey too, has good chances.

Kavvadas and Athinaiou are probably out. The squad consists 12 players + Giannis + Kavvadas,Athinaiou. :)

softice
06-10-2016, 01:56 AM
Giannis took the ok from his team
He will be there

http://i.imgur.com/y2I8a9r.jpg

softice
06-10-2016, 02:06 AM
And this time i hope he will be the key player and no the bench player he was the last year thanks to Katsikaris

EverGreen
06-10-2016, 07:48 AM
And this time i hope he will be the key player and no the bench player he was the last year thanks to Katsikaris

He wasnt a bench player. He played considerably. The problem was that Katsikaris didnt know what to do with him and how to play him, ultimately turning him into just a rebounder and defender.

Oly_fan
06-10-2016, 08:04 AM

I think he literally played the most minutes.

The problem was that Katsikaris didnt know what to do with him and how to play him
To be fair, neither did the bucks at that point.

EverGreen
06-10-2016, 08:38 AM
I think he literally played the most minutes.

To be fair, neither did the bucks at that point.

You are probably right.

The team was Spanoulis and Centre (Bourousis-Koufos) heavily weighed. Especially with Spanoulis who was drained of all energy yet Katsikaris insisted on that brought our downfall against Spain where he shot 7/23 with Sloukas rotting on the bench only being used for 4 mins!!! Terrible coaching if there ever was any!!!

This Greek team can run and should run. We have quick feet and should utilise it to the max. Considering all, I hope Dorsey who is the only scoring SG is given a good run in the friendlies to prove he can add some scoring since it will be a struggle without Spanoulis and Printezis.

Oly_fan
06-10-2016, 09:26 AM
You are probably right.

The team was Spanoulis and Centre (Bourousis-Koufos) heavily weighed. Especially with Spanoulis who was drained of all energy yet Katsikaris insisted on that brought our downfall against Spain where he shot 7/23 with Sloukas rotting on the bench only being used for 4 mins!!! Terrible coaching if there ever was any!!!

4/14, you're reading the boxscore incorrectly.

EverGreen
06-10-2016, 10:05 AM
4/14, you're reading the boxscore incorrectly.

I stand corrected. It doesnt change much though. Sloukas should have played more in that game that 4 mins especially with energy-sapped Spanoulis.

Oly_fan
06-10-2016, 10:09 AM
I stand corrected. It doesnt change much though. Sloukas should have played more in that game that 4 mins especially with energy-sapped Spanoulis.

Yes, overall the rotation was too thin, especially since everyone thought our advantage was being deep.

softice
06-10-2016, 02:15 PM
Even with too many absences this year i am more optimistic than other years
Bourousis is playing like a beast at ACB/Euroleague and he also have a very good percentage from 3pt which is very positive for a center and he can destroy all the plans from the opposite teams
Bring the Giannis drives and you have a team that is unpredictable how far can be going
If we qualify for Rio maybe we will see Printezis and other players to join - i hope

R1ou
06-10-2016, 02:20 PM
Even with too many absences this year i am more optimistic than other years
Bourousis is playing like a beast at ACB/Euroleague and he also have a very good percentage from 3pt which is very positive for a center and he can destroy all the plans from the opposite teams
Bring the Giannis drives and you have a team that is unpredictable how far can be going
If we qualify for Rio maybe we will see Printezis and other players to join - i hope

Can we change the list?I thought that only the players on the preliminary list have the right to play at both OQT and the Olympics :confused::confused:

Italian Pride
06-10-2016, 03:03 PM
Can we change the list?I thought that only the players on the preliminary list have the right to play at both OQT and the Olympics :confused::confused:

If Printezis is in the list of 24-25 players sent to Fiba he can play eventually OG!

softice
06-13-2016, 08:56 AM
Yes, sorry
Probably Printezis cannot play even at Rio -if we manage to go there-
That's too bad after the commercials he did with Calathes about this team :) http://www.eurohoops.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/printca.jpg
The team now maybe having some problems at guards, so maybe we will see Antetokounmpo to play at positions 1-2 like Bucks using him lately
He can play all positions from 1 to 4 but the only negative is his shot %
Also Calathes is not so good shooter but i'm sure that Katsikaris has in mind some system with Bourousis to take shots against zone defence
I think we have a strong team this year but many things depends on how good will be our % from 5-7 meters

R1ou
06-13-2016, 09:49 AM
Yes, sorry
Probably Printezis cannot play even at Rio -if we manage to go there-
That's too bad after the commercials he did with Calathes about this team :) http://www.eurohoops.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/printca.jpg
The team now maybe having some problems at guards, so maybe we will see Antetokounmpo to play at positions 1-2 like Bucks using him lately
He can play all positions from 1 to 4 but the only negative is his shot %
Also Calathes is not so good shooter but i'm sure that Katsikaris has in mind some system with Bourousis to take shots against zone defence
I think we have a strong team this year but many things depends on how good will be our % from 5-7 meters

Those shots which were Zisis's special ability.Sloukas has developed this shot this year at Fener,I hope him to grab the chance to lead at the point after the golden generation of our guards retired.

Victorious
06-13-2016, 05:42 PM

According to Katsikaris Pappas declined to play for the Greek National Team. At least, he seems unwilling to communicate with Katsikaris.

Pappas responded and said he simply never had any contact with Katsikaris.

softice
06-14-2016, 10:03 PM
According to Katsikaris Pappas declined to play for the Greek National Team. At least, he seems unwilling to communicate with Katsikaris.

Pappas responded and said he simply never had any contact with Katsikaris.

I think Pappas is going to far with this drama
He had problems almost with all coach he had. He have big ego and sometimes maybe he was right but when the things going to National team he is all wrong
I'm not fan of Katsikaris but in this case he is the captain of the team and every word against him even from Pappas it brings only problems on the team

Oly_fan
06-16-2016, 09:30 PM
Sloukas can't even train and will miss the friendly games at the very least. At this point not calling up Pappas is just stupid.

Victorious
06-17-2016, 05:41 PM
I think Pappas is going to far with this drama
He had problems almost with all coach he had. He have big ego and sometimes maybe he was right but when the things going to National team he is all wrong
I'm not fan of Katsikaris but in this case he is the captain of the team and every word against him even from Pappas it brings only problems on the team

If he didn't decline playing for the national team and coach Katsikaris said so, the I think it's unjust from the coach spreading a false rumor. As Filippou, the former player mentioned, Gianakis and Galis didn't even talk to each other off the court. But they did what they must for the best of the team. Without the cooperation Greece would never had that kind of success.

Pappas and Katsikaris needed to sort this out. Spanoulis and Zisis retired, Greece lost two HQ guards. And Pappas is definately a top 3 guard for Greece right now.

softice
06-27-2016, 05:30 AM
So we have to beat Italy in their home to join Olympics right?
Always unlucky
Just one lose by Spain (the gold winner) 73-71 get us to 5th place. All others wins

vs MKD (http://www.eurobasket2015.org/en/compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2015.roundID_ 9322.teamID_2604.html)
[W] 85-65 (http://www.eurobasket2015.org/en/compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2015.roundID_ 9322.gameID_9323-C-2-1.html)

vs CRO (http://www.eurobasket2015.org/en/compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2015.roundID_ 9322.teamID_2168.html)
[W] 72-70 (http://www.eurobasket2015.org/en/compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2015.roundID_ 9322.gameID_9323-C-6-2.html)

vs GEO (http://www.eurobasket2015.org/en/compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2015.roundID_ 9322.teamID_2187.html)
[W] 79-68 (http://www.eurobasket2015.org/en/compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2015.roundID_ 9322.gameID_9323-C-9-3.html)

vs SLO (http://www.eurobasket2015.org/en/compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2015.roundID_ 9322.teamID_2154.html)
[W] 83-72 (http://www.eurobasket2015.org/en/compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2015.roundID_ 9322.gameID_9323-C-11-4.html)

vs NED (http://www.eurobasket2015.org/en/compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2015.roundID_ 9322.teamID_334.html)
[W] 68-65 (http://www.eurobasket2015.org/en/compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2015.roundID_ 9322.gameID_9323-C-13-5.html)

vs BEL (http://www.eurobasket2015.org/en/compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2015.roundID_ 9322.teamID_245.html)
[W] 75-54 (http://www.eurobasket2015.org/en/compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2015.roundID_ 9322.gameID_11661-62-A-1.html)

vs ESP (http://www.eurobasket2015.org/en/compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2015.roundID_ 9322.teamID_362.html)
[L] 71-73 (http://www.eurobasket2015.org/en/compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2015.roundID_ 9322.gameID_11662-69-A-1.html)

vs LAT (http://www.eurobasket2015.org/en/compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2015.roundID_ 9322.teamID_2134.html)
[W] 97-90 (http://www.eurobasket2015.org/en/compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2015.roundID_ 9322.gameID_11663-73-A-1.html)

All wins at 1st round and we go to play at Knock outs against Serbia since the other 1st teams from other rounds has opponents like Senegal, Dominican republic, Mexico etc.
= 9th place lol

EverGreen
06-27-2016, 05:44 AM
The secret to success is to win your knock-out games!!!

I wouldn't call this bad luck. It's just that opposition was better. Pau Gasol beat us single-handedly last year.

Oly_fan
06-27-2016, 06:12 AM
We beat ourselves last year with that awful start in the 4th. 4 fouls in the first minute, like the team lost every bit of concentration it had.
We were up until then.

softice
06-27-2016, 09:54 AM
The secret to success is to win your knock-out games!!!

I wouldn't call this bad luck. It's just that opposition was better. Pau Gasol beat us single-handedly last year.

Come on you know what i mean..When you are unbeaten at first round you should have a more easy team at next phase
Look the opponents of other "first" teams and look our opponents
To go at knock out games with all wins, at least you don't deserve to face the winner of the tournament

R1ou
06-27-2016, 04:42 PM
Bourousis visiting with the team the hotel in which Greece was staying during the European Championship at 2005 :rolleyes:

Oly_fan
06-28-2016, 08:22 PM
Pairing Antetokounmpo with Calathes makes less sense every time I see it.
You get 10% of what they offer and 200% of what they lack.

Serbia doubled or tripled at the post and at times had 5 players all defending in the paint leading to turnovers.

Charalampopoulos, Bogris and Sloukas are probably out.

R1ou
06-28-2016, 08:40 PM
Pairing Antetokounmpo with Calathes makes less sense every time I see it.
You get 10% of what they offer and 200% of what they lack.

Serbia doubled or tripled at the post and at times had 5 players all defending in the paint leading to turnovers.

Charalampopoulos, Bogris and Sloukas are probably out.

Do we have any update on Sloukas?

Oly_fan
06-28-2016, 08:42 PM
Do we have any update on Sloukas?

He's having an MRI one of these days. It's evident that he's still in pain and hasn't trained for weeks.
Cutting another guard and ending up with Sloukas unable to play is the worst-case scenario.

R1ou
06-28-2016, 10:04 PM
He's having an MRI one of these days. It's evident that he's still in pain and hasn't trained for weeks.
Cutting another guard and ending up with Sloukas unable to play is the worst-case scenario.

Just read that he results will be ready tomorrow.The possibilities of him joining are less than the probale

CKR13
06-29-2016, 09:17 PM
Apologies for OT but do you have link for the Diamantidis documentary? Thanks.

R1ou
06-29-2016, 09:23 PM
Apologies for OT but do you have link for the Diamantidis documentary? Thanks.

Euroleague annouced that they post-poned it because of the terrorist attack at Turkey.

CKR13
06-29-2016, 09:25 PM
Euroleague annouced that they post-poned it because of the terrorist attack at Turkey.

Oh I see, thanks. Will just wait. Sorry for OT.

Mindozas
06-30-2016, 08:40 AM
I see on basket.gr that Sloukas is officially out

R1ou
06-30-2016, 09:55 AM
I see on basket.gr that Sloukas is officially out

Indeed.3 guards for us at the tournament.So Papanikoalou and Sloukas are out of the pool,that leaves us with 14 players.One of Bogris/Kavvadas is out.My opinion is that it will be Bogris.The guy doesn't seem to care after all.Completely ignorant and idiot.The next one probably T.Antetokunmpo.Coach won't risk and will take both Athinaiou and Dorsey at the squad.Thanassis is byfar our worst shooter in the squad.I expect Charalampopoulos to make the roster for some minutes at 2 + his shot and post move abilities.On the other hand maybe neither of Bogris and Kavvadas will be in,as not Italy nor Croatia's strength are the C position.Thanassis as an energizer bunny as I had said in order to defend Saric/Hezonja/Datome/Gallinari.A less skilled version of Giannis at defence.The second scenario seems more reasonable.

Italian Pride
06-30-2016, 10:21 AM
At this point in your opinion Perperoglu will play many minutes like SG?

R1ou
06-30-2016, 10:31 AM
At this point in your opinion Perperoglu will play many minutes like SG?

IMO it will be Dorsey/Charalampopoulos*/Mantzaris.Perperoglou is very slow to play SG, especially vs teams like yours and Croatia whose strengths are 2-4 positions.Maybe we will we Thanassis at this position but probably only with Bourousis and Perperoglou at the same time.

Charalampopoulos if he makes the team.

R1ou
06-30-2016, 02:52 PM
I'm hopeless enough to see us failing one more time.

KWSN-Men
07-01-2016, 07:11 AM
IMO it will be Dorsey/Charalampopoulos*/Mantzaris.Perperoglou is very slow to play SG, especially vs teams like yours and Croatia whose strengths are 2-4 positions.Maybe we will we Thanassis at this position but probably only with Bourousis and Perperoglou at the same time.

Charalampopoulos if he makes the team.

Charalambopoulos is straggling to defend athletic SFs, there is no way he can defend SGs.

softice
07-01-2016, 08:29 AM
That was really very bad news for the team
Sloukas is key player for us. The hopes for a ticket to Rio decreased. We had already problem at guards now the problem is bigger

EverGreen
07-01-2016, 08:41 AM
Come on you know what i mean..When you are unbeaten at first round you should have a more easy team at next phase
Look the opponents of other "first" teams and look our opponents
To go at knock out games with all wins, at least you don't deserve to face the winner of the tournament

You can't take into account the opposition favorite losing a game and then being paired up with them. Just because you won all your group games doesn't mean you'll get a easy draw or not face a favorite. Let's face it, we're not as good as we think we are, thus we lose when it matters most. Especially against Spain who are our boogie team. Serbia too. I can't remember the last time we beat them. Eurobasket 2003 when Milicic had his massive cry and said he was going to rape the referees mothers and their daughters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woWqSmichOo

R1ou
07-01-2016, 03:07 PM
Dorsey the first to be cut.Idiotic,he cut our best shooter after Perperoglou.Tournament with 3 guards,that man is dangerous even tho I supported him after 2014 and 2015 failures

Italian Pride
07-01-2016, 03:14 PM
why this bullshit choice?

6 forwards and only 3 guards?

R1ou
07-01-2016, 03:21 PM
why this bullshit choice?

6 forwards and only 3 guards?

I don't know what the hell he is trying to do but he has pissed me off this year.I had him a kind of sympathy since his Bilbao days,but the man seems to be obviously problematic.What comes to my mind is that we will probably try to match up with your's(and Croatia's) strengths and then to attack to the rim since both Croatia and Italy lack big men.Also thought that now that we are completely desperated,we can do a "Spain" like they did last year,in which I had them to be eliminated at the quarters.If the team is mentally well,then we could give a try.

Remon
07-01-2016, 04:36 PM
Katsikaris is becoming indefensible as the days pass. He has left the team with Athinaiou and Mantzaris.

usagre
07-01-2016, 04:44 PM
Katsikaris is becoming indefensible as the days pass. He has left the team with Athinaiou and Mantzaris.

With no Sloukas, Spanoulis, and Zisis and with Calathes and The Freak getting major minutes at the guard positions how many other guards do you really need ?

EverGreen
07-01-2016, 04:51 PM
Kavadas is out too.

Oly_fan
07-01-2016, 04:51 PM
With no Sloukas, Spanoulis, and Zisis and with Calathes and The Freak getting major minutes at the guard positions how many other guards do you really need ?

Calathes and Antetokounmpo are two of the worst shooters in basketball. They should never be on the court at the same time.
Also since Antetokounmpo should be guarding the power forward, it would make perfect sense to have two guards with him on the court anyway (as long as none of them is Calathes!), not only for defending the other team's guards but for providing spacing too.

With what we have we'll get some transition points but every time we need to make a half-court offence we'll just be hitting our head against a wall.

usagre
07-01-2016, 04:53 PM
Calathes and Antetokounmpo are two of the worst shooters in basketball. They should never be on the court at the same time.
Also since Antetokounmpo should be guarding the power forward, it would make perfect sense to have two guards with him on the court anyway (as long as none of them is Calathes!) , not only for defending the other team's guards but for providing spacing too.

With what we have we'll get some transition points but every time we need to make a half-court offence we'll just be hitting our head against a wall.

But the coach doesn't have options. Correct me if I am wrong but what guard who can shoot did he cut ? He's gonna play with what he has and up tempo and use their strengths.
I think in this mini tournament it could be enough. The problem would come in the Olympic tournament

Oly_fan
07-01-2016, 04:59 PM
But the coach doesn't have options. Correct me if I am wrong but what guard who can shoot did he cut ? He's gonna play with what he has and up tempo and use their strengths.
I think in this mini tournament it could be enough. The problem would come in the Olympic tournament

Pappas can shoot but wasn't invited. Dorsey can shoot and was cut. Mantzaris can shoot but he's used in the second unit as a primary ballhandler which he isn't.

usagre
07-01-2016, 05:03 PM
Pappas can shoot but wasn't invited. Dorsey can shoot and was cut. Mantzaris can shoot but he's used in the second unit as a primary ballhandler which he isn't.

I didn't know about Pappas. I thought it was injury. As for Dorsey, on what level has he proven that he is a reliable shooter ?

Italian Pride
07-01-2016, 05:03 PM
Bou and Koufus can play together,in your opinion?

Oly_fan
07-01-2016, 05:09 PM
I didn't know about Pappas. I thought it was injury. As for Dorsey, on what level has he proven that he is a reliable shooter ?

He hasn't proven he's a reliable shooter, he's proven that he can shoot (at least on occasion). If we wanted more proof, we could have scheduled more preparation games like other teams did but we didnt even do that.

Bou and Koufus can play together,in your opinion?

I can't see either one of them even dreaming of keeping up with Gallinari. Both are classic centers.

usagre
07-01-2016, 05:18 PM
He hasn't proven he's a reliable shooter, he's proven that he can shoot (at least on occasion). If we wanted more proof, we could have scheduled more preparation games like other teams did but we didnt even do that.

I can't see either one of them even dreaming of keeping up with Gallinari. Both are classic centers.

Even Calathes has proven he can shoot on occasion. Look at his last 2 tournaments, 2015 eurobasket and 2014 World Cup.
A combined 17-34. 50%. But we know that's not who he is. I don't see anybody other than the Freak guarding Gallinari at all times.

R1ou
07-01-2016, 06:35 PM
Even Calathes has proven he can shoot on occasion. Look at his last 2 tournaments, 2015 eurobasket and 2014 World Cup.
A combined 17-34. 50%. But we know that's not who he is. I don't see anybody other than the Freak guarding Gallinari at all times.

All of these in case we pass from Croatia.Papapetrou is a good choice I believe.Maybe Thanassis for a few minutes.

Svoura
07-01-2016, 07:22 PM
Athineou is a better shooter than both Pappas and Dorsey, especially in sporadic 5-minutes spells. Which is a bonus for such a tournament. That was his exact role at Olympiakos. Plus he's more experienced and clear-headed. He would never dream of causing trouble over playing time like Pappas always does. Plus, he doesn't need time to find his rhythm like Dorsey.
Antetokounmpo is going to eat up all the minutes at shooting guard anyway. There is not much room left for Athineou, let alone another backup guard.

Svoura
07-01-2016, 07:30 PM
Bourousis+Koufos in the same lineup is not going to happen. I don't think they've ever played a single minute together. They split time equally last year in the Eurobasket, except for the last game when Bourousis managed to foul out in just 9 minutes.
I expect a 8-men rotation in the crucial games, with Calathes/Mantzaris at point, Giannis at SG, Perperoglou/Papapetrou/Agravanis at 3/4 spots, Koufos/Bourousis at center, maybe with some minutes for Thanassis/Athineou behind Giannis.
Haralambopoulos may even start, but he won't stay on the court for long. Bogris will be nothing more than a back up big man.

Italian Pride
07-02-2016, 11:15 AM
All of these in case we pass from Croatia

Are you sure,we defeat Croatia? :D

Italy-Croatia in basketball is like Italy-Germany in football,they always played great match against our NT!

Adon
07-02-2016, 04:37 PM
If we manage to advance to Olympics, I would be (happily) surprised. Also, Katsikaris has not convinced me that he is the coach our NT needs.

softice
07-03-2016, 09:05 AM
You can't take into account the opposition favorite losing a game and then being paired up with them. Just because you won all your group games doesn't mean you'll get a easy draw or not face a favorite. Let's face it, we're not as good as we think we are, thus we lose when it matters most. Especially against Spain who are our boogie team. Serbia too. I can't remember the last time we beat them. Eurobasket 2003 when Milicic had his massive cry and said he was going to rape the referees mothers and their daughters?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woWqSmichOo

I think it was 2007

sime0n
07-04-2016, 03:39 AM
So did Giannis force the team to include Thanasis or he wouldn't come play?

Oly_fan
07-04-2016, 07:55 AM
So did Giannis force the team to include Thanasis or he wouldn't come play?

No, who wrote that? Thanasis is playing because there are a ton of injuries and absences.
Maybe had this been known from the start, someone like Kaimakoglou or Vasileiadis would have been called up too, but as things sort of just went that way he deservedly made the cut.

R1ou
07-04-2016, 09:40 AM
No, who wrote that? Thanasis is playing because there are a ton of injuries and absences.
Maybe had this been known from the start, someone like Kaimakoglou or Vasileiadis would have been called up too, but as things sort of just went that way he deservedly made the cut.

I believe that Coach prefered him just for the needs of the tournamet.All these days I'm trying to find some logical explanations on Coach's decisions and that's what comes to my mind.Plenty of forwards and some of them consumable in order to load/be loaded with fouls,play some defence on Croatia's/Italy's weapons (Especially Thanassis with his pshycial abilities) and give some length and height to the team.We need to exploit the rebounds and the second possesion points,team won't have too much chances to find scoring.

Mozart
07-08-2016, 01:06 PM

I have to say that so far I was impressed by Thanasis (I didn't know him that much)..let's see him in the next tougher matche(s)

Big Lebowski
07-09-2016, 03:52 PM
Greece looks that is looking back at those awful times when coaches were selecting players due to their size: Sigalas as sg, Alvertis/Papanikoaou at sf... and Germany or Czechia celebrating. Katsikaris totally forgot that Middle Earth is were basketball starts and someone has to organize some system, some basketball, some game. Without it, you have 34 attempted threes in a knock out game (and, anyway, brick throwers in the team). Secret is not wasting Antetokounmpo in guard, secret is putting Antetokounmpo were in can play his best basketball. It was a team with absurd size and absurd lack of brain. A bunch of camels, nobody on court that could organize it.
A team with three guards has never existed in history: bring there someone that can complete a drive or a pass, not useless cm's or kg's like those of Mpogris, Haralampopoulos or Th. Antetokounmpo. Bring basketball on court, bring brains like the one of Dorsey. Not just empty heads...

fasoulaki
07-09-2016, 04:35 PM
I could not agree more to the following sentence:

Η Εθνική του μπάσκετ, η μακράν πιο αγαπημένη, παινεμένη, παρασημοφορημένη ομάδα της Ελλάδας, έχει χάσει το δρόμο της, τη φιλοσοφία της, το "know how" της, αλλά ευτυχώς δεν έχει χάσει -ούτε και θα χάσει ποτέ- τον κόσμο της, φιλάθλους, δημοσιογράφους και ανθρώπους του μπάσκετ, που νοιάζονται γι αυτήν.

http://www.gazzetta.gr/basketball/article/950343/episimi-strapatsarismeni

usagre
07-09-2016, 04:52 PM
I could not agree more to the following sentence:

http://www.gazzetta.gr/basketball/article/950343/episimi-strapatsarismeni

A bit of an exaggeration since pre 1987 the team was not that supported and was an afterthought in Greece. In contrast the national football team was heavily supported for decades prior to that.

Levenspiel
07-13-2016, 11:38 AM
L&G,

I moved the post-OQT messages to a new thread in Greek Basketball Section (http://www.interbasket.net/forums/showthread.php?30395-Greek-NT-2016-17) as the discussions will focus on future tournaments and not on Olympics any more.

regards,
Levenspiel