PDA

View Full Version : Must see places in Athens?

cheezdoodle
02-16-2007, 06:48 PM
Hey guys,

I'll be traveling to Athens, Greece in early May for the Euroleague Final Four. Will be there for about 6 days, and should have some time to go out and see the city as well.

I wanted to ask people who have been there about places that I should definitely not miss. That includes tourist destinations, museums, etc, but also nightlife, clubs, bars, great resteraunts to eat, cool places to shop, good places to relax, etc.

Thanks!

Trifilli
02-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Heya,

Here's some stuff that's definately worth the visit:

Acropolis + the Agora underneath the Acropolis. At best you enter the side at 9:00 from the metro station, have a look at the theatre of Dionysos, walk up to the Acropolis, walk around a bit and move down to the Agora before the biggest part of the buses with all the tourists arrive (usually ~ 11:00).
From there it's not that far to Kerameikos, the ancient cemetery of Athens, which is definately worth a visit. From there you can walk back through Monastiraki and the Plaka to the Hadrian's Arch and the temple of Zeus. From there it's not that far to the Panathenaic Stadium, where the 1896 Olympic Games took place.

Other places that are great to visit are the National Archaeological Museum (Patission Ave), the Benaki Museum (close to the National Garden and Kolonaki), the Byzantine Museum, Sintagma Square + the House of Parliament (with the famous Evzones), the National Garden and the Lycabettus Hill (best view over Athens). You can actually start from Sintagma, visit the National Garden (nice café there), walk to the Benaki museum, make your way to Kolonaki and walk up the Lycabettus Hill.

Other places to visit are Ermou Street (lots of shops, leads to Sintagma Square), Monastiraki and the Plaka (very touristic, still worth a visit), the 1st cemetery (beautiful place), Mikrolimano (decent sea food, though expensive - make sure to look around and not enter the first restaurant, unless you're interested to get scammed, make sure to get fresh fish :p ).

The best way to get good seafood is to take a ferry from Piraeus though, either to Aegina (less than 1 hour) or Poros (~ 2 hours). Poros is less touristic, while Aegina is a favourite spot for Athenians to go to at the weekends. Make sure not to go to a restaurant right at the harbour street but to one of those located in the small streets behind the harbour - the best one is the taverna right at the fishmarket, where all the fishermen eat themselves.

There's much more to see but these are just a few ideas, hope I could help :)

bolo
02-16-2007, 07:30 PM
Historical Places

Acropolis and Parthenon
Poseidon Temple at Sounio
Various Museums
Temple of Olympian Zeus
Ancient Agora (Market Place)

Places To visit

Plaka district
Monastiraki Flea Market
The Athens subway is considered a Museum because of all the ancient findings while digging for it. Whole cities are on display in the stations.
The guard change infront of the Parliament.
Maybe the 2004 Olympic stadium with its famous roof.

Places for Shopping

Ermou street
The Athens Mall (biggest in the balkans)
Monastiraki Flea Market

Nightlife (where to start and where to begin..)

Psiri district
Gazi district
The "Paraliaki" (Ocean drive so to speak)
Pasalimani a.k.a. Zeas harbour
Mikrolimano
Kolonaki district
Plaka

These are just a few spots. You can also visit various internet sites like these two:
http://www.athensguide.org/index.html
http://www.greece-athens.com/

If you want my oppinion six days are a lot for Athens. You have to organize (maybe with a group) a daily trip to ancient Olympia (first Olympics EVER) or even better Delfi wich are 4 hours away from Athens!!
http://www.msu.edu/~iordanis/Delfi.jpg

cheezdoodle
02-16-2007, 08:00 PM
wow, you guys are amazing! I just threw my guidebook out the window!

About the length of the trip...

Keep in mind that two whole days (4th and 6th) will almost certainly be completely eaten up by the Final Four. We are also VERY interested in the junior tournament which will be going on at the same time, so I think that realistically I have two full days to do touristy stuff, and a lot of in-between time here and there where we can check out some must-see neighborhoods, go eat good food, dance on some tables, sample the Greek beer selection (or the Ouzo...), etc etc.

I am going to see what my DraftExpress guys (one of whom lives in Athens) think about going out to Olympia or Delfi. If anyone is interested, we should maybe do an IBN get-together to have a beer or two at some bar not far from where the matches will be played.

How is the weather going to be in early May?

bolo
02-16-2007, 09:43 PM
Weather of May 2006

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/LGAV/2006/5/16/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA (www.wunderground.com/history/airport/LGAV/2006/5/16/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA)

rchos7
02-16-2007, 09:43 PM

maybe you could even go for swimming!:D
unless you are really unlucky then you will find sun and only sun in may!in my opinion is the bestperiod for turism in greece!not extremely hot but with lots of sun!

wardjdim
02-16-2007, 10:15 PM
I am going to see what my DraftExpress guys (one of whom lives in Athens) think about going out to Olympia or Delfi.
:D
Olimpia is a bit far away from Athens.. But, let's see.. Delfi is ok though..

Swim guaranteed dude.. :D

cheezdoodle
02-16-2007, 11:39 PM
maybe you could even go for swimming!:D
unless you are really unlucky then you will find sun and only sun in may!in my opinion is the bestperiod for turism in greece!not extremely hot but with lots of sun!

Curious to see how the Greek babes look in their bikinis...note to self...visit Greek beach.

cheezdoodle
02-16-2007, 11:41 PM
Question for the Athenians (or anyone that's been there before)...

If you could only go to one bar in Athens on your entire stay there...which one would it be?

For music?

For the atmosphere?

For the spectacle?

For seeing things you can only see in Athens?

For the beer?

c_fish
02-17-2007, 09:19 AM
Question for the Athenians (or anyone that's been there before)...

If you could only go to one bar in Athens on your entire stay there...which one would it be?

For music?

For the atmosphere?

For the spectacle?

For seeing things you can only see in Athens?

For the beer?
Most greek clubs play both international and greek music.Very few play just one (One Happy Cloud or Soul's 1st floor special room,both at Psiri,for foreign dance music only come to mind).You could also check Highlander's place (whenever he mixes);) .

Most of these clubs are the same when it comes to atmosphere (you should prefer to go on a Friday or Saturday night),lots of loud people having fun.

There are two places with quite large beer variety that I know of;one in Leoforos Alexandras (dont remember name,100m to the left coming out of the Pizza Hut place:) after 1st traffic light (help?))and another somewhere in Nea Smirni (help?)

Trifilli
02-17-2007, 11:12 AM
If you only have 2 full days in Athens I'd forget Delfi or Olimpia, there's simply too much to see in Athens.

I'd actually go with the Acropolis - Agora - Kerameikos - Monastiraki - Plaka - Temple of Zeus - Panathenaic Stadium tour for day 1 and with a National Archaeological Museum - Omonia - Ermou (+ streets nearby) - Sintagma/House of Parliament - National Garden - Kolonaki - Lycabettus Hill for day 2, with a drink in the restaurant on top of Lycabhettus (expensive though). You'd have a lot of must sees included, it's a realistic program (lots of walking though) and a nice mixture of culture, shopping and city life.

As for the evenings/nightlife: I can't recommend you a specific place, as there are simply too many, but if the weather is good I'd definately take the tram to Glyfada and find a nice place at the coast, especially on the weekends the streets are full with people there and it's no problem to find a nice bar. If you walk the day 2 tour I proposed, you can also finish the day in Kolonaki, there are a lot of nice places to go out as well.
If you're more into real clubs the best solution is to go to Psiri or Gazi though. If you look for tavern nightlife (especially with sea food and ouzo :D ) the best thing is to go to one of the smaller marinas/habours next to Piraeus, like Mikrolimano or Marina Zea. There's also a trendy club on an old ship in the Marina Alimos, it's pretty expensive though as well (I think I paid ~ 8 Euros for a Fosters there :rolleyes:).

GR8BBALL
02-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Please stop hi-jacking this thread with your trash. :mad:

Any mods around here to take care of this?

CreEkShooT
02-18-2007, 03:06 PM
well c fish the beer house you wrote about is in the n.smyrni in venizelou avenue,near panionios stadium it has a big variety of beers and not only this its food deserts etc are simply fantastic!cheezdoodle are you a scouter or something?you mentioned something about a junior tournament and i dont know what this is about,any information/

GR8BBALL
02-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Hey cheezdoodle
If you are going to stay for 6 days and spend 2 of them at the final four I would recommend you to stay in Athens, there are so many places to visit.

The must-see is the landmark of Athens that is the Acropolis of Athens and then you can walk downwards to the ancient Agora, stoa Attalou, the roman theatre and other ancient sites in downtown Athens that are connected by pedestrian pebble streets. Right next to that you can find the old flea market and the colorful Plaka neighborhood. The typical sightseeing includes the Greek parliament, Syntagma square, commercial triangle and nearby places.

Another day you can visit the seaside southern suburbs of Athens with the marinas, cafeterias and some beaches and have a cup of coffee, dinner or even go swimming-by May it will be warm enough. It's another view of the same city that you have to see. You can also get there by the new tram lines if you want to see the daily life of Athenians.

The next thing you would probably want to do is the northern suburbs, where you can shop and dine (Kifissia, Kefalari etc). Those areas are not so dense as in downtown and you can also walk around and view some beautifull houses, several of them are countryhouses since the 1800s.

Other than that you can probably go to a music show/concert, at Megaro Mousikhs (main Music hall) for example, or go out for a drink someplace downtown.

I'm sure I missed many other sites or places to go but that comes to my mind right now.

cheezdoodle
02-18-2007, 05:03 PM
well c fish the beer house you wrote about is in the n.smyrni in venizelou avenue,near panionios stadium it has a big variety of beers and not only this its food deserts etc are simply fantastic!cheezdoodle are you a scouter or something?you mentioned something about a junior tournament and i dont know what this is about,any information/

The tournament is for 8 teams, for example CSKA, Barcelona, Olimpija, etc, and its played before the Men's final four in the same arena. It's usually kids 18 and under, for example kids like Alexey Shved and Kamil Pietras last year.

Read about how the event went last year in Prague:

http://217.13.116.51/finalfour06/noticia.jsp?temporada=E05&jornada=24&id=574&id2=575

or the year before in Moscow:

http://217.13.116.51/finalfour05/noticia.jsp?temporada=E04&jornada=25&id=595&id2=662

cheezdoodle
02-18-2007, 05:12 PM
Thank you very much to everyone for all the fantastic information. I have everything written down in my guidebook and have been reading up on some of the places you guys recommended.

One more question: what can you guys tell me about the area that the F4 will be held at? Right around OAKA arena. I think we're going to be spending some time around there, so it would be nice to know if there are any really nice bars or restaraunts we should definitely check out right around there.

GR8BBALL
02-18-2007, 05:48 PM
...and one more thing that I missed, pretty important--the museums.
there are literally hundreds of them in Athens the most advertised one is the new Acropolis museum but I think it won't be ready by May.
Besides, the revamped archaeological museum of Athens is worth visiting, Mouseio Mpenaki is also very important, I've read that the Museum of Cycladic arts is pretty interesting and if you're into science you can visit the planetarium of athens. There's much more than that of course but time is limited.

bolo
02-18-2007, 06:12 PM
Thank you very much to everyone for all the fantastic information. I have everything written down in my guidebook and have been reading up on some of the places you guys recommended.

One more question: what can you guys tell me about the area that the F4 will be held at? Right around OAKA arena. I think we're going to be spending some time around there, so it would be nice to know if there are any really nice bars or restaraunts we should definitely check out right around there.

http://www.athenshash.com/Images/Olympic_Games_Venues/OAKA_Olympic_Complex.jpg

The Basketball Arena is the second building from the left. It's in the 2004 Olympic Complex. The Athens Mall mentioned above, is nearby and it has a lot of bars and cafes and cinema and shops and restaurants and......
Check for the third floor restaurants and if you ever get homesick you can allways visit Hooters on the fourth floor with Greek babes!!

http://www.themallathens.gr/uk/themallathens.htm

cheezdoodle
02-19-2007, 05:35 PM
Hooters...YES!

cheezdoodle
02-19-2007, 05:42 PM
...and one more thing that I missed, pretty important--the museums.
there are literally hundreds of them in Athens the most advertised one is the new Acropolis museum but I think it won't be ready by May.
Besides, the revamped archaeological museum of Athens is worth visiting, Mouseio Mpenaki is also very important, I've read that the Museum of Cycladic arts is pretty interesting and if you're into science you can visit the planetarium of athens. There's much more than that of course but time is limited.

Any good art museums?

bolo
02-19-2007, 06:03 PM
Here you go. You can find allmost everything in both sites I gave you.
http://www.greece-athens.com/place.php?place_id=20

GR8BBALL
02-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Any good art museums?

Website of national art gallery --> http://www.nationalgallery.gr/default_en.htm

Several other museums:
http://www.athensguide.com/museum.html

CreEkShooT
02-20-2007, 06:41 PM
@cheezdoodle i visited the links u posted and it was really interesting.Do you have any idea which team is going to represent greece this year>?i awaiting anxiously,lol

cheezdoodle
02-20-2007, 11:52 PM
they haven't announced that yet. Once we know, I'll be sure to post something.

Fiano
08-10-2007, 06:30 AM
I have been to Athens only one time. I do not know much about it. But I think Acropolis and Parthenon are good.

Thank you for listing it. That will make a big help for me next time.

facnig
09-14-2007, 12:59 PM
Acropolis and the Agora. Unmissable.

banjaminn
04-05-2010, 11:19 AM
The National gardens which are next to the houses of parliament are really nice to walk round (just go to syntagma and it's easy from there) A must do is a walk round Plaka (old town)- and take the kids there in the evenings to eat etc. Great old shops and traditional tavernas.Watch the changing of the guards outside the Parliament building.

Juan Carlos Nadal
07-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Having briefly transited through Athens on a couple of occasions in the past, I am planning to actually stay a night or two in the area later this summer. Given that I have to catch a ferry to the islands after my stay, I was thinking of booking a hotel in the Piraeus port area. Would anyone recommend that? Is it safe (I am bringing guests with me, so I don't want them to feel unsafe). I've heard "things" about Piraeus but not sure if they apply to the whole municipality or just specific pockets within the area. Would you recommend staying at the port, or should I rather stay in Athens and just suck it up and use public transportation to get me to the port on the (early) morning of my departure? Thanks in advance, guys.

CKR13
09-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Hello friends from Greece,

Is there a shrine or pantheon dedicated to Athena/Athene/Minverva aka The Goddess of War in Athens?

After all according to Mythology, Athena gave the gift of the Olive which made the Ancient Greeks grow wealthy in trade and in health for the new Greek city and beating Poseidon's offering of sea riches. Thus the city of Athens came to be known.

Thank you.

qiangdade
09-10-2010, 10:00 AM
Hello friends from Greece,

Is there a shrine or pantheon dedicated to Athena/Athene/Minverva aka The Goddess of War in Athens?

After all according to Mythology, Athena gave the gift of the Olive which made the Ancient Greeks grow wealthy in trade and in health for the new Greek city and beating Poseidon's offering of sea riches. Thus the city of Athens came to be known.

Thank you.

and thus, this little temple was dedicated to her;)

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/parthenon-and-the-acropolis-landmark-1.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenon

CKR13
09-11-2010, 02:35 AM
and thus, this little temple was dedicated to her;)

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/parthenon-and-the-acropolis-landmark-1.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenon

Thanks.

Legend has it that Athena once had a magnificent statue on the Pantheon as recounted on this essay on which was lost to antiquity.

The Parthenon’s main function was to provide shelter for the monumental chryselephantine (made of gold and ivory) statue of Athena that was created by Pheidias and dedicated in 438 BCE.

The statue stood approximately 9 or 11 meters (around 40 ft.) tall. It has not survived to our day, but we have enough accounts of its existence along with a number of smaller marble copies, including the one on exhibit at the National Museum of Athens.

Athena stands holding a Nike (Victory) on her right hand that extends forward from the elbow, as if offering Nike to the Athenian citizens. With her left hand she supports her shield which shelters a snake as it rests on the ground, and her lance that rests on her left shoulder.She is dressed with an Attica peplos, and on her head she wears a richly decorated helmet with a sphinx at the apex and two Pegasi on each side. Her breastplate is adorned with snakes and the head of Medusa at the center.

The statue was a hollow construction with a wooden armature that supported the outer surfaces of the golden drapery, and the ivory flesh of Athena. The statue was situated close to the south end of the cella and was surrounded by a procession of double-decked Doric columns on its flanks as well as the back. The floor of the cella in front of it was a shallow pool of water or oil, which added further drama to the statue’s context with its reflective surface.

It would have looked something like this one on the artists' sketch:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/89/Athena_Parthenos_Harpers.png/220px-Athena_Parthenos_Harpers.png