Russian NT 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian NT 2015

Evgeny Pashutin announced extended roster of Russian NT consisting of players which have to begin a process of preparation for Eurobasket-2015.

It looks as follows:
    SG/PG Dmitry Kulagin (Zenit)
    SG/PG Artyom Vikhrov (Zenit)
    SG Egor Vyal'tsev (Khimki)
    PG Anton Ponkrashov (UNICS)
    PG Dmitry Khvostov (Nizhny Novgorod)
    PG/SG Mikhail Kulagin (Rossiya Novogorsk)
    SG Evgeny Voronov (Lokomotiv Kuban')
    SG Vitaly Fridzon (CSKA)
    SG/PG Alexei Shved (New York Knicks)
    SF/PF Nikita Kurbanov (Lokomotiv Kuban')
    SF/PF Andrei Zubkov (Lokomotiv Kuban')
    SF Sergei Monya (Khimki)
    PF/SF Evgeny Valiev (Zenit)
    SF/PF Pavel Antipov (UNICS)
    SF/PF Semyon Antonov (Nizhny Novgorod)
    PF Andrei Vorontsevich (CSKA)
    PF/C Pavel Korobkov (CSKA)
    C Alexander Kaun (CSKA)
    C Ruslan Pateev (Khimki)
    C Artyom Klimenko (Avtodor Saratov)
    C Andrei Desyatnikov (Zenit)
    C Timofei Mozgov (Cleveland Cavaliers)

Links: http://russiabasket.ru/news/news_tea...obasketu_2015/ (RFB official site, in Russian)

http://www.sportando.com/en/national...urobasket.html (in English)

There are some changes from the previously announced roster which was:

Khvostov, Ponkrashov, D. Kulagin, Shved, Fridzon, Vyal'tsev, Bykov, Voronov, Grigor'yev, Karasev, Monya, Kurbanov, Vorontsevich, Antonov, Korobkov, Antipov, Zubkov, Zhukanenko, Mozgov, Kaun, Sokolov.

Some of them I view as positive (I even proposed some of them in a topic 'Possible rosters for Eurobasket'), for example, Sokolov out and both Pateev and Klimenko in (but if Mozgov and Kaun would play I doubt any of these two to make the final cut). Also excluded were Zhukanenko (a quality big man with impressive shooting range and solid basketball IQ but kinda clumsy with his moves, too slow and additionally he hasn't play sizeable minutes for Loko this season and seems to be somewhat out of shape), Sergei Karasev (he would play a solid role in this team if he was healthy but it seems that his injury is too serious), Maxim Grigor'yev (a strange decision given the fact that Kulagin Jr. mysteriously finds a way into this list), Sergei Bykov (a biggest WTF change so far, there were rumours of bad blood between him and Pashutin Sr. in UNICS but that's not a reason to exclude such a player from the squad, especially as Sergei was always one of the most passionate and diligent about playing in NT).

Considering this list, it's evident that some players are included just to gain experience and it would be extremely surprising if, for example, Klimenko, Desyatnikov and M. Kulagin will make it into the final roster. Still I think that including even Desyatnikov in NT ranks is still too premature as he has some definite (raw) potential but a level of the national team (even in its preparation process) is too high for him at the moment. For Klimenko it could be useful already (even if he is not a national team material right now) and Pateev can even make it through the final cut and be used as a role player at the tournament. Ponkrashov is a big question mark also as due to his serious injury he hasn't played at all for some months now. I don't think that Russian NT needs Dmitry Kulagin that much despite the fact that he is superior even to Shved at creating his own shot (maybe, he could be effectively used only as a role player who can speed up a game and add intensity in some moment) but what the fuck is his little brother doing here? He spent a rather lacklustre season in Russian second tier league's middle of the road team (which was established this year and intended as some sort of a mix between French CFBB and junior national team) and he gets chosen over guys like Sergei Bykov and Maxim Grigor'ev. Pasha Sergeev, Maxim Kolyushkin or even Artyom Komolov and Alexei Vzdykhalkin are also much better players right now than Kulagin Jr is, so it's something really strange. Seryoga Tokarev (who never get his chance at a higher level notwithstanding his real talent) spent a beastly season for Superleague champion leading that league in assists despite being a premium-level shooter first and foremost and he gets no call but Kulagin is included. I know that the first one is 29 years old and Kulagin Jr is 21 years old but it doesn't look that Misha is that much brighter than his retarded older brother who is a prime example of egocentric primadonna with the worst shot selection in the VTB league.

By the way, two clinical idiots Shved and D. Kulagin competing with each other at who is dumber when leading our offense with clueless loser Zhenya Pashutin at the helm seems like a perfect recipe for disaster. But we have a high-quality roster overall and with someone like Aito Garcia Reneses coaching it (and hence using both Shved and Kulagin in a very limited role) I think we would be one of the principal candidates for the podium finish.

In fact, I would be happy if Shved would retire from the NT after his 'pinnacle of shame' sort of performance at Euro-2013 but it seems that we're doomed to have this imbecile in our NT till the Saviour's second coming.

And what are your thoughts on Russian national team of 2015, its roster and its chances in the upcoming tournament?
    2013/2014 IBN Euroleague Prediction Game Winner

Thrash 'till Death!

why are you so angry with shved?

sokolov is a scrubs IMO;while Bykov isn't in?he would be a good second playamker
    solid roster,very balanced!

From italian supporter i hope don't meet your team in 8th final

Comment

Solid roster, Russia knows to raise good PFs. They have always had good Power Forwards throughout the history. I don't know maybe it is a special thing for Russians. Vorontsevich, Antonov, Kirilenko, Khryapa, Korobkov and numerous good PFs. Almost all of them are or were physically strong and have high basketball IQ with good court vision.
      Sports is not only considered as a superiority of physical capability. Perception, intelligence and morality assist it as well. The strong with less intelligence and comprehension can not cope with the less strong but with sufficient intelligence and comprehension. I like the sportsman who is intelligent, agile as well as morally upright.
      Mustafa Kemal ATATURK

Comment

Gudumak seems as if sometimes intentionaly overlooked in those things. From what I've seen with these players, he'd be a nice addition with his inside back to back game.
        Also dissapointed about Vikhrov and Valiev being put on the reserve list.

In any case, seriously improved bench overall in the roster, compared to a decade or so ago when I considered Russian bench to be rather short, however Hryapa and Kirilenko are a big loss I am not yet sure these players will be able to cope with it all that easily. Defensively wise this is one of the most formidable teams at the next eurobasket, offense can be of secondary importance without sacrificing the result seen numerous times in the past, however for beating those top teams you need some players with immense offensive firepower or either bring some really advanced and working system alongside it. If Kulagin, Shved, Fridzon, Vorontshevich and others can do that Russia can get far, but it'll take a whole different type of performance than either of the games vs. Italy in the EB15 qualifiers in my opinion.
        I really like the team actualy, just that their dissapointment in 2013 is really hard to forget and than qualification to EB15 depending on one game solely wasn't really encouraging either and i'm a little bit reserved with my opinion about Russia accordingly.

If everything works as expected I'd see Russia in the quarterfinals and as ussual anything can happen there.
        Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
        That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Decent roster, but without Kirilenko and Khryapa, Russia is not a quarterfinals team. They only have 2 NBA and 2-3 solid Euroleague/Eurocup players. The rest are questionable in terms of their ability to play a high level of basketball. Russia will most likely have to face Group B's 2nd or 3rd place in the Top 16 round, and that group (comprised of Turkey, Spain, Serbia, Italy) is a tough one. If they face healthy Serbia or Spain, they're almost certainly done. If they face Turkey, they might win, but Turkey is stronger on paper in my opinion and I'd give the odds of 40:60 in Turkey's favor. It's too early to tell who will beat who without knowing the final roster for each team, but I doubt Russia's ability to surpass the Top 16 round with this roster.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrorizer View Post
            By the way, two clinical idiots Shved and D. Kulagin competing with each other at who is dumber when leading our offense with clueless loser Zhenya Pashutin at the helm seems like a perfect recipe for disaster
            That's the main concern for me too. With coach everything is quite clear, but I didn't follow Shved too much lately as I'm not an NBA follower overall, so no idea if he can be different player than in 2013, where he failed big time as a leader. If he can - them even podium can be reached, if not max top16

Comment

Mozgov/Kaun/Vorontsevich is a respectable defensive minded frontcourt, but you are really struggling to find some quality backcourt players. Both Mozgov and Kaun could be efficient offensively, but only with a good playmaker to feed them in the paint, maybe Shved can fill that role. He really needs to live up to expectations this time. It's going to be tough, but with exceptional team effort, fanatic endurance, ¼ finals is reachable despite the absence of Bykov, Karasev and maybe Ponkrashov.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrorizer View Post

By the way, two clinical idiots Shved and D. Kulagin competing with each other at who is dumber when leading our offense with clueless loser Zhenya Pashutin at the helm seems like a perfect recipe for disaster. But we have a high-quality roster overall and with someone like Aito Garcia Reneses coaching it (and hence using both Shved and Kulagin in a very limited role) I think we would be one of the principal candidates for the podium finish.

In fact, I would be happy if Shved would retire from the NT after his 'pinnacle of shame' sort of performance at Euro-2013 but it seems that we're doomed to have this imbecile in our NT till the Saviour's second coming.
                I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who thinks that Shved is an idiot.
                Γυμναστικός Σύλλογος Περιστερίου

Comment

Did Kaun really retire or he's just trolling all of us? He's just 30.
                  Γυμναστικός Σύλλογος Περιστερίου

Comment

Kaun earned 20 m Euro from Cska. I would get retired too if I was him.
                    IF YOU ARE NOT REAL CANARY, THEN FU

https://twitter.com/INTEGRAL1907

REPUBLIC of FENERBAHÇE 2017-18

Sloukas, B Dixon, Colom, R.Neto
                    Wanamaker, Guduric, MeMa, Djedovic, Causeur
                    Datome, Bertans, Nunnaly, Hanga, Lojeski, Ponitka, Ulanovas
                    Melli, Kalinic, Shengelia, Bjelica, Teletovic
                    Vesely, A.Düverioğlu, Marjanovic, Dubljevic, J Hamilton, Lauvergne, Jokic, Ante Zizic

Comment

But at the end Kaun will play or not?

Comment

Originally posted by Italian Pride View Post
                        But at the end Kaun will play or not?
                        He won't

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                          He won't
                          Thanks!

Comment

Shved is out. http://www.sport-fm.gr/article/baske...o-sbed/3100931

Comment

Russia had some good runs without any offensive player standing out. And seeing some of their younger generations, it would take a change to the system, but not neccesarily all that big of a blow in my opinion. Those 1 player centered offenses rarely work out unless we're talking Dirk We shall see.
                              Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
                              That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information