Male practice players for women basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Male practice players for women basketball

There is an interesting piece on CBS about "male practice teams" that play college women to make the women better in their game. There are clear gains and as in everything, there are advantages and disadvantages.

The women are certainly benefitting greatly, their game is better and quicker and more interesting, but there are gender inequality issues, equal opportunity issues etc.

What do you think?

The interesting piece is here:

Male practice players have helped make women's basketball teams quicker, faster, and stronger. A practice used frequently at prominent programs such as UConn...

Yes this seems like a great idea and I'm sure the woman will benefit from the quickness and physical aspect although I'm sure the guys who don't get much will take the opportunity to grab an ass on the rebound.

Comment

I also see it as a good idea.

Originally posted by HIGHLANDER
      I'm sure the guys who don't get much will take the opportunity to grab an ass on the rebound.
      I also see that as a good idea.

Comment

There was a huge article in Sports Illustrated several years back about the Male practice players of the UCONN women when UCONN was at their peak. Sadly the males didn't get much save for some shorts, tshirt and stuff, and they got knocked around a bit. Though without them, who knows where the team would have gone.

Comment

Originally posted by jxuusa
          There was a huge article in Sports Illustrated several years back about the Male practice players of the UCONN women when UCONN was at their peak. Sadly the males didn't get much save for some shorts, tshirt and stuff, and they got knocked around a bit. Though without them, who knows where the team would have gone.
          That's a great point. So the women get better in play. But how about the profile of the male practice players and their own playing opportunities.

If you are a male practice player, are you hurting your chances of proper college play? Probably those engaging as male practice players for women are second or third rate basketball players who failed their chances of proper college play, so they agreed to this sort of play. If they are real good players, they may be screwing up the little chance they may have to play at a higher level. A sort of: Once a male practice player, always a male practice player...

Sure you you would have better chance to go out with the girls after practice, but that's about it I guess. As you point out, the pay is minimal and the exposure non-existent. Probably you will never develop your game as you adapt more and more to women style of basketball and forget the things you know.

In many countries, they consider football (soccer), a man's game, whereas basketball is "just for the girls".

Comment

Originally posted by worldbasketball
            In many countries, they consider football (soccer), a man's game, whereas basketball is "just for the girls".
            That's funny. In the U.S., soccer (football) is considered a kids game (for kids that don't have the talent to play a real sport).

Comment

Working...
            X

Debug Information